Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly (728 Views)

Fire Guts Ebonyi House Of Assembly Complex (Photo) / Oyo House Of Assembly Sacks Caretaker Chairmen / Akala Has My Vote For Guber Election In Oyo,house What Are Your Reactions To Thi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by Nchara: 5:06am On Jun 09, 2010
Free-for-all in Oyo House of Assembly
By Olalekan Adetayo, Ibadan
Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010

Adebayo Alao-Akala

The attempt by some lawmakers to remove the Speaker, Oyo State House of Assembly, Mr. Moroof Atilola, from office snowballed into a bloody violence at the Assembly Complex, Agodi, Ibadan, on Tuesday with nine of the anti-Speaker lawmakers sustaining various degrees of injury.

One of the lawmakers, Mr. Abiola Ayorinde, who attempted to scale the fence of the Assembly to safety when political thugs suspected to be loyal to the pro-Speaker lawmakers descended on him and his colleagues, got his legs broken.

He is currently on admission at the Accidents and Emergency Unit of the University College Hospital, Ibadan.

Three of the lawmakers were also stripped by the thugs, who wore Peoples Democratic Party’s T-shirts with the portrait of the state Governor, Chief Adebayo Alao-Akala, embossed in the front.

The stripped lawmakers included Mr. Kayode Animashaun, Mr. Nofiu Baale and Mr. Kayode Inakoju.

They were later rescued from the complex and conveyed in an Armoured Personnel Carrier marked NPF 1209C to the UCH from where the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Adisa Bolanta, led them in a convoy to the state police headquarters, Eleyele, where they and their other colleagues were taken into protective custody.

Bolanta later told journalists that 39 suspects were arrested at the premises of the Assembly in connection with the fracas.

He said that the suspects would be screened to ascertain their level of involvement and those found culpable would be prosecuted.

The suspects, who sat on the floor at the police headquarters for hours before taken away in a Black Maria, our correspondent observed, were politicians including some members of the PDP and an aide of the state governor.

Trouble started at about 9.30am when the lawmakers, who were moving for the removal of Atilola, arrived the complex in a group.

The suspected political thugs, who were earlier taking shelter in the car park directly opposite the complex, suddenly surged forward and descended on them, forcing some of them to run inside the complex while those who were not so luck were beaten.

Signs that all was not well started early in the morning when security was beefed up in and around the complex with men of the State Security Service and armed policemen taking strategic positions and frisking those entering the premises.

While the commotion was going on outside, however, the Speaker led 15 members loyal to him to sit for about 30 minutes amidst tight security. The House has 32 members.

During the short sitting, the House resolved to suspend eight out of the 16 anti-Speaker lawmakers for three months for allegedly “promoting discord and provoking conflict in the House of Assembly.”

The Majority Leader, Mr. Ademola Adejumobi, led the pack of suspended lawmakers.
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by EzeUche(m): 6:02am On Jun 09, 2010
These people definitely like to fight.

Even in their Assembly!!! shocked

Nothing wrong with fighting as long as it does not turn deadly. We humans need an outlet to release our anger. Fighting each other is perfect.
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by Nobody: 6:05am On Jun 09, 2010
EzeUche:

These people definitely like to fight.

Even in their Assembly!!! shocked

Nothing wrong with fighting as long as it does not turn deadly. We humans need an outlet to release our anger. Fighting each other is perfect.

Yea, they sure do love to fight. Like you and multiple ppl on this forum lol.

I wonder if y'all actually fight like that off nl.
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by EzeUche(m): 6:07am On Jun 09, 2010
FL Gators:

Yea, they sure do love to fight. Like you and multiple ppl on this forum lol.

I wonder if y'all actually fight like that off nl.

Yes I do like to fight. Not too much while I am in the U.S., because it seems like their police do not like to look the other way.

But I never pass up on a good fight. I am very aggressive.

Now are you aggressive or are you passive in certain areas. wink
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by Nobody: 6:12am On Jun 09, 2010
EzeUche:

Yes I do like to fight. Not too much while I am in the U.S., because it seems like their police do not like to look the other way.

But I never pass up on a good fight. I am very aggressive.

Now are you aggressive or are you passive in certain areas. wink
Scared of the popos? wimp lol

Not aggressive off nl, I no get time to fight with ppl or hold grudges grin

But it depends on the person I'm dealing with wink
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by EzeUche(m): 6:14am On Jun 09, 2010
FL Gators:

Scared of the popos? wimp lol

Not aggressive off nl, I no get time to fight with ppl or hold grudges grin

But it depends on the person I'm dealing with wink

Damn right I am scared of the popo. You can't bribe these popo!

So you are a lover, not a fighter? Hmmm

Hmmmm Explain! grin
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by 9ijaprince(m): 6:15am On Jun 09, 2010
Wild wild west!
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by EzeUche(m): 6:17am On Jun 09, 2010
9ijaprince:

Wild wild west!

None of that! angry

Let us not go that way.
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by Nobody: 6:19am On Jun 09, 2010
EzeUche:

Damn right I am scared of the popo. You can't bribe these popo!
ROTFLMAO! cheesy

No need for explanation, you know what I meant
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by EzeUche(m): 6:29am On Jun 09, 2010
FL Gators:

ROTFLMAO! cheesy

No need for explanation, you know what I meant

Yes, I know what you mean, but my mind is going so many places. I shall have good dreams. wink
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by Nobody: 6:32am On Jun 09, 2010
EzeUche:

Yes, I know what you mean, but my mind is going so many places. I shall have good dreams. wink
lol you're sth else.
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by AkinEgba: 2:05pm On Jun 09, 2010
I talking it that my brothers likeness pugnacity. You are see it now
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by yemmight(m): 2:51pm On Jun 09, 2010
Akin-Egba:

I talking it that my brothers likeness pugnacity. You are see it now

Am sure you are not from that part of Nigeria, very sure.
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by jamace(m): 3:16pm On Jun 09, 2010
cheesy cheesy Agberos have done it again. grin grin grin
Re: Free-for-all In Oyo House Of Assembly by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jun 09, 2010
ngabti

(1) (Reply)

Next Generation Nigeria - Youth Voice / Months To Election.,can Hardly Believe It. / Become Nigeria President For 48hrs Here What Will You Change? countdown...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.