Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,958 members, 7,828,390 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad (65951 Views)

NYSC Speaks On Kemi Adeosun’s Certificate Scandal / Kemi Adeosun Wearing NYSC Uniform - By Joe Igbokwe (Real Or Photoshopped?) / NYSC: Kemi Adeosun Not Legally Required To Participate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 2:08pm On Jul 11, 2018
sad undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 2:10pm On Jul 11, 2018
abnot:
I have no sense of entitlement. A bad experience is a bad experience. Anything I so desire in life I go for it. Anything I find invaluable I stay away from it. That has been one of my principles in life. There is no crime in prioritizing the activities I chose to engage myself in and not in an order thought by some other person. OVer my years on earth I have lived and integrated with people in the North East, North CEntral, South west and south-south. I need no NYSC to integrate better with Nigerians from all facets of life (which is one of the core purposes of the NYSC program). I undertook the service in LAgos (Eti osa 1) and almost everyone was segregated into groups . Returnees from UK/US/CA had their splinter group. People from the south east had their splinter group. People from the south west had their splinter group and people from the north had their splinter group. There was little or no integration. NYSC has since outlived it's usefulness. You can continue to deceive yourself on its relevance. Those with the skills, patronage and network will continue to excel in and out of Nigeria. Kemi Adeiosun will complete her tenure as a minister. Fani Kayode also passed his screening as a minister despite being accused of not serving . You can continue to wail and call me names on Nairaland.

FFK registered for NYSC and served, but did not complete his NYSC service year, before going back to England. sad I don't know if he later came back to complete it. It was during his service year, he got serious with his first wife Saratu Atta. He lived in their family house in GRA Apapa, at that time.

Secondly, the sole purpose of NYSC is not only integration. It is also to ensure that under-served communities get trained people to offer them badly needed services, that are in short supply. Like I said earlier, there are communities in Nigeria that would never have been able to get anything like medical care, if not for the youth corper doctors posted to cottage hospitals in such communities. There are also several public schools that are hopelessly short-staffed, and have benefited from corpers who served as teachers in such public schools.

My cousin's love for science subjects, stemmed from his integrated science teacher in high school. undecided The teacher was a youth corper who introduced them to science subjects, using innovative methods with a lot of clarity and passion. He carried out a number of experiments, using improvised tools & equipment, that caught their attention. Today, my cousin is a chemical engineer working with a nuclear power plant in the UK. And he has never forgotten his science teacher, who opened his eyes to the world of science.

You claim "NYSC has since outlived it's usefulness. You can continue to deceive yourself on its relevance...." undecided No sir, you are the one who is too myopic to see its benefits or usefulness, and the fact that diverse people have passed through the scheme, without whining, wailing or making noise about it. Many public schools, community primary health care centres, agric programmes and even publishing houses have benefited from it. And thousands of corpers have found it useful. sad

If NYSC was useless, then why is Kemi Adeosun getting the flak, for not serving in the scheme? Finally, you claim you have no sense of entitlement? shocked You could have fooled me. By the way, how old did you say you were again?
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by ogongogames(m): 6:32pm On Jul 11, 2018
LaudableXX:

That is your own definition, and it is flawed. undecided That term is often used for Nigerian graduates who were born abroad, lived and studied abroad all their lives. In some cases, people call them 'Nigerian expatriates.' Just like Kemi Adeosun. If they felt NYSC was important, they should have made room for it. It is only 1 frigging year for goodness sake! People take a gap year out of school for a variety of reasons. What stopped such foreign graduates from doing something similar, in order to take part in NYSC after graduation?

Of course any person of Nigerian extraction who studied abroad would be classified as a foreign graduate, that is not my point. My point is that there are different types of foreign graduates. I don't think you understand that at 22 years old, she probably had zero interest in Nigeria nor did she ever envisage herself living in the country. A good proportion of those "born and bred" abroad don't even know that NYSC exists nor that it is compulsory. Take it from some who has lived my entire life in the UK apart from my time during NYSC.

1 Like

Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by AmbodOfLASU: 8:54pm On Jul 11, 2018
LaudableXX:

Thank you, o jare. cheesy May God bless you for speaking the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

You are making silly excuses, and defending the indefensible! Stop it.... angry In what way does NYSC alienate anybody from abroad? Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

You misread the whole article. It's focused on those who were born and brought up there not those who have been in Nigeria for the most part of their lives before traveling out to study. For the former, it's more difficult for them to immediately return home for NYSC since many of them don't have families in Nigeria.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 10:44pm On Jul 11, 2018
AmbodOfLASU:
You misread the whole article. It's focused on those who were born and brought up there not those who have been in Nigeria for the most part of their lives before traveling out to study. For the former, it's more difficult for them to immediately return home for NYSC since many of them don't have families in Nigeria.
I did not misread anything. sad You were advocating for those who were born abroad & schooled abroad, to be exempted from the NYSC scheme. And your silly excuses do not hold water. There is nothing difficult about taking out 1 year to participate in a compulsory national service scheme, in your own country. And saying that they don't have families in Nigeria, is hogwash. shocked They are Nigerians too, for crying out loud. Did their Nigerian parents drop from the sky? shocked There is nothing difficult about spending just one year in Naija. If you cannot do it, then live with the consequences and do not moan about being excluded from getting jobs, in Nigeria. End of story.

Go back & read Silvermoney's response in the first few pages of this thread. It is the best reply to your childish attempts, to make silly excuses for your clique.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 10:53pm On Jul 11, 2018
ogongogames:
Of course any person of Nigerian extraction who studied abroad would be classified as a foreign graduate, that is not my point. My point is that there are different types of foreign graduates. I don't think you understand that at 22 years old, she probably had zero interest in Nigeria nor did she ever envisage herself living in the country. A good proportion of those "born and bred" abroad don't even know that NYSC exists nor that it is compulsory. Take it from some who has lived my entire life in the UK apart from my time during NYSC.

Oga, you are still defending the indefensible, and it is making you sound clueless. sad The same 22 year old, who would not think it is strange to go off to another European or Western country, on an internship or an exchange programme, suddenly finds it more difficult than rocket science to incorporate 1 year of national service under the NYSC scheme, into her plans or her itinerary? shocked What kind of tales by moonlight is that one?

For those who have any desire to move back to Naija and find work, or eventually take up a political appointment, it is in their interest to conduct some research, and know that such a scheme exists. Stop claiming that most of them do not know it exists. Are they living on the moon? How come most of the other "born and bred abroad Nigerians, that lived all their lives abroad," who came home to partake in NYSC, know about it?

This issue is simple. undecided If "born and bred abroad Nigerians" don't want to do NYSC, then they should strike out any plans of coming back home to take up a political appointment, or a govt job or a position in the corporate sector, here. They should not whine about being excluded from such things, due to their failure to take part in NYSC. They can open up a shop or a become an entrepreneur, when they return to Naija. No NYSC certificate or exemption letter, is required for that. Let those who participated in the scheme and have proof to show for it, take up such jobs. Is that too difficult to understand?

Silvermoney's response earlier on in this thread was spot on, and it is the perfect response to those "born and bred abroad Nigerians" who want to eat their cake and have it.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by AmbodOfLASU: 11:26am On Jul 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

I did not misread anything. sad You were advocating for those who were born abroad & schooled abroad, to be exempted from the NYSC scheme. And your silly excuses do not hold water. There is nothing difficult about taking out 1 year to participate in a compulsory national service scheme, in your own country. And saying that they don't have families in Nigeria, is hogwash. shocked They are Nigerians too, for crying out loud. Did their Nigerian parents drop from the sky? shocked There is nothing difficult about spending just one year in Naija. If you cannot do it, then live with the consequences and do not moan about being excluded from getting jobs, in Nigeria. End of story.

Go back & read Silvermoney's response in the first few pages of this thread. It is the best reply to your childish attempts, to make silly excuses for your clique.

You are just throwing insults without putting on your thinking cap but I won't use unprintable words like you - it shows your level of intelligence. Dude, I never said they should be exempted or where on earth did you see that? Is reforms the same as outright exemption?

Have you even read the NYSC Act and the gaps there?

(1). You are not eligible for NYSC exemption letter once you graduated before the age of 30;

(2).The Act is also vague on what happens after the age of 30 upon your ineligibility for exemption letter.

You also said did their "parents" fall from the sky?

Really, so, you failed to see where I pointed out the fact that many of them only have a Nigerian parent(mostly a father) who married a foreigner.
Someone like Dele Alli, under his own circumstances, he had no single family to point at in Nigeria and you expect people like him to come and serve immediately after school?

What about so many of them whose parent(s) died and never took them home, thus, they know no ant or fly in Nigeria?

The reason why I'm making a case for the diaspora is because of brain drain. Many bright Nigerians are building other countries while we wallow in challenges.
These countries also know how valuable they are and they are bent on keeping them while you throw them away!

I always believe there should be a synergy between those who are at home and those in the diaspora.

. The unfortunate thing is that the prejudiced don't see that those back home who are passionate about home and those outside who are passionate about home are on the same team. Sure, one group may not be living in Nigeria, but that doesn't make them automatically removed, or less concerned, or even without knowledge of the workings in the country. That assumption is ignorant at best and spiteful at worst. There are Nigerians abroad who watch the Senate proceedings. You see those boring things they show on NTA that many Nigerians don't even watch? Some people abroad watch them keenly. Nigerians abroad are currently pushing a bill in through House hearings to curb child abuse and molestation. How many Nigerians at home know that? Some Nigerians abroad in their late 30s travel to Nigeria at least once in 2 months for meetings with govt officials and private sector investors on how to beef up cyber security and improve police response time to emergencies through global positioning technology but how many people in Nigeria know? I can go on and on and these are just examples involving people I know personally.

Note : many of these people I mentioned took the decision to be more involved in Nigeria in that 30s after they had gained their foothold on life.

Take a look at this scenario :

A friend born to a Nigeria father (who died while his son was barely 5 years old) finished from MIT in his 20s, immediately he got a fully funded scholarship for his Ph.D. Upon his education, he got a job with NASA and later Microsoft. This guy is one of the top guys in Silicon Valley whose worth is in billions(#) as we speak and he is of Nigerian ancestry.
Now, he is in his 30s and he talks about the plans he has for Nigeria in the area of technology. In fact, Osinbajo(who was in California some days ago) wrote to him and he requested to meet with him.

Now, this guy is being poached by an agency in U.S but he is more passionate about Nigeria at the moment - he plans returning home soon but he is confused on what NYSC Act has in store for him since he is no longer eligible for NYSC exemption letter and the Nigerian government is greatly interested in him.

Now, what do you want him to do with NYSC?

Remember, he has no root in Nigeria (he does not even know his state or any family member since his Dad died quite early and he never got to meet anyone) and thus he could not have easily returned for NYSC in his 20s(he also could not have turned down a fully funded Ph.D scholarship when he is being catered for by a single mother).

Be objective and fair.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 3:35pm On Jul 12, 2018
AmbodOfLASU:
You are just throwing insults without putting on your thinking cap but I won't use unprintable words like you - it shows your level of intelligence. Dude, I never said they should be exempted or where on earth did you see that? Is reforms the same as outright exemption?

Have you even read the NYSC Act and the gaps there?

(1). You are not eligible for NYSC exemption letter once you graduated before the age of 30;

(2).The Act is also vague on what happens after the age of 30 upon your ineligibility for exemption letter.

You also said did their "parents" fall from the sky?

Really, so, you failed to see where I pointed out the fact that many of them only have a Nigerian parent(mostly a father) who married a foreigner.
Someone like Dele Alli, under his own circumstances, he had no single family to point at in Nigeria and you expect people like him to come and serve immediately after school?

What about so many of them whose parent(s) died and never took them home, thus, they know no ant or fly in Nigeria?

The reason why I'm making a case for the diaspora is because of brain drain. Many bright Nigerians are building other countries while we wallow in challenges.
These countries also know how valuable they are and they are bent on keeping them while you throw them away!

I always believe there should be a synergy between those who are at home and those in the diaspora.

. The unfortunate thing is that the prejudiced don't see that those back home who are passionate about home and those outside who are passionate about home are on the same team. Sure, one group may not be living in Nigeria, but that doesn't make them automatically removed, or less concerned, or even without knowledge of the workings in the country. That assumption is ignorant at best and spiteful at worst. There are Nigerians abroad who watch the Senate proceedings. You see those boring things they show on NTA that many Nigerians don't even watch? Some people abroad watch them keenly. Nigerians abroad are currently pushing a bill in through House hearings to curb child abuse and molestation. How many Nigerians at home know that? Some Nigerians abroad in their late 30s travel to Nigeria at least once in 2 months for meetings with govt officials and private sector investors on how to beef up cyber security and improve police response time to emergencies through global positioning technology but how many people in Nigeria know? I can go on and on and these are just examples involving people I know personally.

Note : many of these people I mentioned took the decision to be more involved in Nigeria in that 30s after they had gained their foothold on life.

Take a look at this scenario :

A friend born to a Nigeria father (who died while his son was barely 5 years old) finished from MIT in his 20s, immediately he got a fully funded scholarship for his Ph.D. Upon his education, he got a job with NASA and later Microsoft. This guy is one of the top guys in Silicon Valley whose worth is in billions(#) as we speak and he is of Nigerian ancestry.
Now, he is in his 30s and he talks about the plans he has for Nigeria in the area of technology. In fact, Osinbajo(who was in California some days ago) wrote to him and he requested to meet with him.

Now, this guy is being poached by an agency in U.S but he is more passionate about Nigeria at the moment - he plans returning home soon but he is confused on what NYSC Act has in store for him since he is no longer eligible for NYSC exemption letter and the Nigerian government is greatly interested in him.

Now, what do you want him to do with NYSC?

Remember, he has no root in Nigeria (he does not even know his state or any family member since his Dad died quite early and he never got to meet anyone) and thus he could not have easily returned for NYSC in his 20s(he also could not have turned down a fully funded Ph.D scholarship when he is being catered for by a single mother).

Be objective and fair.

There are NO insults in my posts, only facts. sad And nobody needs your lengthy epistle. You have just contradicted your stand, with this post. Go back and read your initial post & subsequent remarks on this subject, where you were advocating that the foreign-born & bred Nigerians should not be deprived of jobs in Nigeria, because they did not do NYSC. Were you not the same person who wrote this?

AmbodOfLASU:
..... Nevertheless, the article opined that young bright minds of Nigerian ancestry who were unfortunately born and brought up abroad but are desirous of working for a better Nigeria should not be alienated from contributing to our national development due to their lack of participation in NYSC.

We should seek to integrate our administrative and technological wiz kids the same way we brought Alex Iwobi, Leon Balogun, Carl Ikeme and co to our fold.

Nigeria needs its best brains to return to the country now. We've suffered a lot from brain drain.

Were you not calling for an exemption for your foreign born & bred Nigerians, in your post? My point (and that of a few others here) was simple. They should not wave that card. If holding down a political post in Nigeria, or getting a corporate role here is important, then they should do the NYSC, or leave such jobs for those who have served and have the certificate to show for it.

There is nobody who has Nigerian blood in him, that does not have family members or roots in Nigeria. sad Again, my earlier question still stands: "Did their Nigerian parents drop from the sky?" shocked The reason I asked, is that most Nigerians have extensive family roots, that cut across different villages and communities. Ties formed by blood, ancestry and marital bonds. But when some folks travel abroad, they either severe those ties, or ignore them and such relationships fall into disrepair or get broken. Instead of finding & fixing those ties,they then want to circumvent it, by playing the victim card and trying to use govt jobs as a way to reintegrate themselves back into society, because they see themselves as contributing 'something' to Nigeria.

It is like leaving the root cause of a problem to deal with the symptoms. The same foreign-born & bred Nigerians abroad see nothing wrong in junketing off to far-flung countries or places whose names they cannot even pronounce, on excursions, exchange programmes and expeditions, for any length of time. But they balk at coming to Naija, as if our country is some remote jungle that cannot sustain them for a day. angry One of my friends has gone to Uzbekhistan to work, has visted Taipei for a 6-months residency programme, and has even been to Burundi for a workshop. But each time he is asked to come to Nigeria, he gives a long list of excuses about how difficult it is for him to do so. Really??

Even Anthony Joshua's father brought him to Ogun State after he won his title abroad, and they visited his grandfather's ancestral home, after paying a visit to the governor. So these your excuses do not hold water. sad

Dele Alli has a Nigerian father. sad But he chose to cut ties with his father Kehinde Alli. His Nigerian parents have been pleading for him to acknowledge them. Go and read up the whole story. It is public knowledge. Whose fault is it, if he chooses not to renew ties with his parents, and cuts himself off from his Nigerian heritage? shocked Is it NYSC's fault? He is the one that has shot himself in the foot. So the NYSC should make exemptions in his case, if there is a need for him to present an NYSC certificate to be able to hold down a job in Nigeria? It sounds ridiculous.

Dele Alli is even a footballer, and NYSC certificates are not a requirement for those who wish to be called up for the national team. He even met up with his father in 2010 and they took a picture together. So what are you rambling on about? Read the whole story here; https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dele-allis-estranged-parents-issue-9918748

As for the Nigerians pushing for a bill to prohibit child molestation etc, I wish them luck. There are different groups and NGOs also pushing for the exact same thing, right here in Nigeria. Passing the bill is not a problem, enforcing it is always the challenge. sad Let them come and join the police force to enforce it. undecided There is already a lot of synergy between those abroad and those back home. Go and check. It is those who have not done their research, that do not realise it.

A lot of doctors and other medical people abroad, come back to Nigeria at least once a year, to hold medical outreaches for people in different communities, on our shores. undecided Others come to Nigeria to lecture at different universities, or to arrange joint exchange programmes or conferences back home. So the synergy you are advocating is not a new thing, it has been going on for years.

Your Ph.D friend should just look for any international organisation or UN agency that can hire him, and post him back to Nigeria as an expatriate. undecided He would then be treated as an expatriate and subjected to the same terms, conditions and residency status as one. sad There is no need for him to claim Nigerian citizenship, if he cannot trace his father's/mother's people and bond with them. Another thing is that he is in his 30s. He is still relatively young. He should apply to NYSC sharp-sharp, and participate in the scheme. 1 year is not a life sentence.

Those who do not know an ant or a fly in Nigeria, should visit the country as foreigners, too. smiley Foreigners have been working in Nigeria and for Nigeria, for many years. cool There is nothing new about it. All the foreign-born & bred Nigerians abroad who failed to serve in the NYSC scheme before they clocked 30, yet they still want to impart knowledge to Nigerians in the area of cybersecurity and technology, can easily do so as foreigners. cheesy No need for long story. Let them get their visas, book hotel rooms and fly in to do their bit. What is so difficult about that? shocked

We can respectfully agree to disagree on this subject. Now, kindly refrain from quoting me, in your next epistle. sad Thanks.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by ogongogames(m): 9:40pm On Jul 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

Oga, you are still defending the indefensible, and it is making you sound clueless. sad The same 22 year old, who would not think it is strange to go off to another European or Western country, on an internship or an exchange programme, suddenly finds it more difficult than rocket science to incorporate 1 year of national service under the NYSC scheme, into her plans or her itinerary? shocked What kind of tales by moonlight is that one?

For those who have any desire to move back to Naija and find work, or eventually take up a political appointment, it is in their interest to conduct some research, and know that such a scheme exists. Stop claiming that most of them do not know it exists. Are they living on the moon? H[b]ow come most of the other "born and bred abroad Nigerians, that lived all their lives abroad," who came home to partake in NYSC, know about it?
[/b]
This issue is simple. undecided If "born and bred abroad Nigerians" don't want to do NYSC, then they should strike out any plans of coming back home to take up a political appointment, or a govt job or a position in the corporate sector, here. They should not whine about being excluded from such things, due to their failure to take part in NYSC. They can open up a shop or a become an entrepreneur, when they return to Naija. No NYSC certificate or exemption letter, is required for that. Let those who participated in the scheme and have proof to show for it, take up such jobs. Is that too difficult to understand?

Silvermoney's response earlier on in this thread was spot on, and it is the perfect response to those "born and bred abroad Nigerians" who want to eat their cake and have it.

It's clear you have no idea about the life of a typical Nigerian born and raised abroad or you are basing your views on limited encounters. Less than 20% of Nigerian parents abroad take their children to Nigeria. You have based your perspective on a affluent demographic who are in the minority. You seem to refuse at acknowledging that those "born and bred" abroad taking part in NYSC are a minority, which everyone would agree with. I have tried to share some views on why this is but you clearly got an agenda you are sticking with.

Some of your comments make me chuckle. Not once have I excused Kemi Adeosun, In fact I clearly insinuated that I have no problems with your views of NYSC. YOU jumped to conclusions or maybe you enjoy finding arguments?. My take was that I understand why she may not have partaken in programme immediately after she graduated. Not every situation is black or white, try and open your mind to different possibilities.
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 10:42pm On Jul 12, 2018
sad lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by LaudableXX: 10:44pm On Jul 12, 2018
ogongogames:
It's clear you have no idea about the life of a typical Nigerian born and raised abroad or you are basing your views on limited encounters. Less than 20% of Nigerian parents abroad take their children to Nigeria. You have based your perspective on a affluent demographic who are in the minority. You seem to refuse at acknowledging that those "born and bred" abroad taking part in NYSC are a minority, which everyone would agree with. I have tried to share some views on why this is but you clearly got an agenda you are sticking with.

Some of your comments make me chuckle. Not once have I excused Kemi Adeosun, In fact I clearly insinuated that I have no problems with your views of NYSC. YOU jumped to conclusions or maybe you enjoy finding arguments?. My take was that I understand why she may not have partaken in programme immediately after she graduated. Not every situation is black or white, try and open your mind to different possibilities.

Oga, you also seem to have no idea that many Nigerians based abroad, still have ties with Nigeria. sad There is no agenda in my posts, so stop your wild conjecture. If you believe there is one, kindly spell it out in chapter and verse since you know so much about it. undecided You cannot even know how much of my life was spent abroad, so do not even go there. I have met all sorts of Nigerians from all walks of life, both at home and abroad.

You claim that "Less than 20% of Nigerian parents abroad take their children to Nigeria...." Did you do a survey or study or census, before you arrived at this conclusion? shocked If the kids do not go to Nigeria, what about their Nigerian parents? It doesn't matter if it is only the father that is a Nigerian, or just the mother. Are such parents averse to travelling to Nigeria, too? Or are the relatives of those parents back home, allergic to contacting them, as well? You seem to have a rather narrow view of the lifestyles of Nigerians, based abroad.

Even those who do not travel to back home regularly, still update themselves by reading up news about Nigeria, or exchanging phone calls with their relatives, in order to find out what goes on within the country. sad Are you trying to say that all the news items that have filtered through to such Nigerians resident abroad, never mentioned anything about the NYSC programme? At least every Nigerian-owned newspaper or TV news channel based in Nigeria whose signals can also be received on satellite TV platforms abroad, carries some kind of news about the NYSC programme or its' corpers, and their passing out parade, on a regular basis.

During the 2015 elections, all the news channels were awash with reports of youth corpers serving as electoral officers or agents at polling booths. Did those Nigerians born & bred abroad, miss out on such info, too? Didn't they ask what the scheme was all about?

You finally claimed that: ".....I understand why she may not have partaken in programme immediately after she graduated...." Hehehehe...I found this bit rather amusing. cheesy Pray do tell, what was the pressing issue that kept her so occupied abroad more than 8-10 years after graduation, that made her unable to do NYSC? Was it ignorance? Or lack of relatives in Nigeria? Or lack of familiarity with her home country? That same issue did not prevent her from joining politics, or from coming home to serve as Ogun State Commissioner of Finance, or to serve as Minister of Finance. Adeosun wants to eat her cake and have it. Unfortunately for her, Nigerians everywhere are watching in 3D. undecided
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by eterisan(m): 7:01am On Jul 13, 2018
selemempe:
i know many of my catholic seminary friends who are not up to 30 but have exemption
they are priests and already liers..... What a country!
Re: Kemi Adeosun NYSC Certificate Scandal: Bigger Picture Of NYSC & Nigerians Abroad by RuggedSniper: 9:08am On Jan 15, 2019
AmbodOfLASU:
KEMI ADEOSUN'S ALLEGED NYSC CERTIFICATE SCANDAL : A BIGGER PICTURE TO IT.

Kemi Adeosun was born, bred and brought up in the United Kingdom. She spent the first 30years of her life there. She equally had all her education in the U.K and hatched her career there, also. For clarity purposes, I understand and fully support the general opinion that she must face the law - she should never have forged it, that's criminal and totally unacceptable (albeit if the facts provided by Premium Times are totally correct).

Nevertheless, on a general note, we must also be fair to Nigerians in diaspora(those born and brought up there and perhaps to equally those who moved there as young chaps with their families in search of greener pasture). Economic and other challenges have forced many Nigerians outside of Nigeria despite the love they have for their country. Most of them got married abroad and gave birth to children who are as well very passionate about Nigeria and its development. For instance, a bright young boy born to Nigerian parents who grew up in California - graduated from Stanford and Harvard then got a Job with the United Nations. He rose through the ranks after over 15years of service. Then, at the age of 40, he plans to return to Nigeria with a view to contribute his own quota to Nigeria's development. What will be his fate having not participated in NYSC ab initio and he is over 30 years of age? Remember, he never chose to be born outside of Nigeria or live/study outside of the country.

I believe for we to attain greater heights in Nigeria, we will need our brothers and sisters making waves in other countries. We should not strike them out totally via NYSC.

While I firmly believe that Kemi Adeosun should be prosecuted if found guilty of all the allegations, we must equally look at the bigger picture here - bright young minds of Nigerian ancestry who could not serve in the NYSC must not be alienated from nation building and national development.

The current Nigerian super eagles team is made of many players who were born to a Nigerian father by "foreign" mothers. Hence, they possess dual citizenship. Consequently, they've spent the most part of their lives abroad. Yet, they still proudly wear the green and white jersey - giving their all to their fatherland.

Today, we are always proud of Anthony Joshua, Alex Iwobi, Leon Balogun, Troost Ekong, Carl Ikeme et cetera. In fact, we are very quick and proud to link the likes of Adesanmi Mbappe, Dele Alli, Alaba(Bayern Munich player), and so many others to Nigeria because they are of Nigerian ancestry.

What of other Nigerian geniuses making waves in NASA, World Bank, United Nations, Boeing, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple,Google, Deloitte and the likes that we will need their expertise/experience in our NNPC, Ajaokuta, Nigerian Army, political offices, technological hubs and the likes in the future or even as urgent as now?

In view of all these, I posit that Kemi Adeosun should face the law but we must not alienate people of Nigerian ancestry from our public service who for one reason or the other could not make up the NYSC scheme - which itself needs to be reformed.

Nigeria needs all its best brains to be in Nigeria, now! Nothing should be a roadblock or a bottleneck.

God bless Nigeria.

Pelumi Olugbenga
7th of July,2018.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kemi Adeosun did NOT DELIBERATELY forge any certificate!

First off... Her parents migrated to the UK in the 1960s and all their
4 children were born there and grew up as British citizens NOT as
Nigerians! She only visited Nigeria for the FIRST TIME at the age
of 19 and graduated in the UK at the age of 23! She got married
at 25 year in England, her country of citizenship and so it is
RIDICULOUS for anyone to say she dodged the so-called NYSC!
She immediately got a job in the British employment system in the
1980s and rose to be a Senior Manager with PwC, UK.

Her father and mother [originally from Ogun Waterside] lived as a Permanent Residents
of the UK since the early 1960s and her father died there. Kemi's over 80-year-old mother is
STILL ALIVE and visited Nigeria when her daughter was made a Minister of Finance. Tunde Kuboye
of Jazz 38 is one of her relatives and he was married to the late Fran Kuboye who is related to Fela
Kuti from the Ransome Kuti family. Kemi Adeosun's family house is still in the UK and they NEVER
returned to live in Nigeria!

Kemi Adeosun had all her education in her country [UK]
and had NO reason to do any NYSC since she is British and her
family have NEVER lived permanently in Nigeria since the early 1960s!
She even said in a Punch interview of January 2017 that she never
planned to live in Nigeria... it was her marriage to a Nigerian man at the age
of 25 in the UK that made the British citizen to relocate to Nigeria in her 30s and
leave her Senior Managerial position with PwC[PricewaterhouseCoopers, UK]
to come and live with her husband at over 30 years of age!
PricewaterhouseCoopers [PwC], UK even kept her job open
and told her that if she changes her mind, she could still
come back from Nigeria to take up her job... and that is how
much confidence the organisation had in her.

NYSC IS ONLY MEANT FOR Nigerian citizens and Nigerians who were born
abroad but came back to Nigeria and lived in Nigeria - NOT for people like
Kemi Adeosun who LIVED ALL THEIR lives in the UK and America at over
30 years of age and are FULL CITIZENS of those countries.

It was marriage that made her to come to live with her husband in Nigeria
because of his business after 10 years of marriage and still living in the
UK. Kemi granted interviews to a Nigerian newspaper [Sunday Punch]
twice between 2013 and 2017 where she stated all these facts.

She was working as a Senior Manager with PricewaterhouseCoopers [PwC]
in Britain her country of birth as a very brilliant accountant when she
relocated to Nigeria to protect her marriage and be with her husband
and she was over 30 years old when she arrived in Nigeria. She even worked
as an expat with a financial institution in Nigeria [an offshoot of FCMB Group]
without ANY so-called NYSC certificate.

It was around 2010 that she just applied for the Exemption at over 30 years
of age - towards the time Ibikunle Amosun persuaded her to become a
Commissioner of Finance in Ogun State, where she became the first person
to introduce the Treasury Single Account by any government in Nigeria...
and when she became a Federal Minister, she fully introduce the TSA
as well.

Lastly, the NYSC accepted that she officially applied for the EXEMPTION
certificate at over 30 years of age, so HOW did she get a certificate
that was NOT allegedly fully genuine... I think there is a cartel within
NYSC and other Federal Agencies that print forged documents and make
money off Nigerians and foreigners who genuinely apply fo Drivers' Licences,
International Passports, NYSC Exemptions, etc.

My annoyance with Kemi is that she should have organised a full Press Conference
to let Nigerians know her full British history, work experience in the UK as a citizen
working with PWC UK, and her eventual relocation to Nigeria after 10 years of marriage
to be with her Nigerian husband.

The Nigerian print media and so-called Social media are also guilty of crass sensationalism
and never bothered to go to her office to interview her and do investigative journalism
and only relied on the opinions of the online website that first published her so-called
fake certificate [the online publication in the article admited that Kemi Adeosun was born
in England and had ALL HER EDUCATION in England]. I realised from this episode that
a lot people in Nigeria display gullibility and are filled with hate over other people's success
and affairs... and do NOT bother to carry out proper investigations before savaging... and
insulting people online and offline. Some of the hatred and wickedness too probably has to
do with such mundane issues like her STRONG British accent which some people may be envious
about! grin

I hope this helps people to gain new perspectives on this issue.

Happy New Year!
smiley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Woman On Wheelchair Attempted Suicide In Buhari’s Convoy's Front / Nigerian Ladies Celebrate 58th Independence With Topless Photos / Fayose: Zenith Bank Officials Kneeling To Beg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.