Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta (7277 Views)

Fayose: Lai Mohammed Should Relocate To Sambisa In Borno State / No More Private Oil Importers: Nigeria To Sell, Buy Oil Directly / Threats: Ohanaeze, MASSOB, OPC Back Nigerdelta Militants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by DaLover(m): 11:06am On Jun 13, 2010
oko-omoge:

I am not from Niger Delta but I have worked long in Niger Delta as a Subsea Pipeline Engineer that pipe the Oil & Gas from Production Platform to Oil& Gas Terminals, Understands the subsea Production Architecture for FSO & FPSO and also come from a family of Engineers!

My brothers the quest for deepwater development started way back in 1995 with Appriasal studies for fields like Bonga, Agbami, Usan, Oyo, Sea Eagle. Royal Dutch Company who first found commercial oil found it in oloibiri in the Creek of Bayelsa in the year 1952-54 , commercial oil was be produced in 1956.
Please do not say what you donot know, Please Go research about the meaning of the would "Delta" and link it up with formation of Oil and Gas natural formation, please read about Petroleum Geoscience /Geophysics, Resevior Engineering , Well dynamics, Sedimentology.

I am not a lawyer but from Travelling and residing in oyinbo countries, I know oyinbo people protect their Land as per Heritage.
In the Uk where we have alot of onshore pipelines , you pay royalities to local community Newcastle Upon Tyne for Example.

A good example is the current Shakalin Development in Russia, Shell is not finding it easy with local community ( Russia ), the Government of Russia put the people first despite joint venture interest with multination

In Abeerden, the Hub of Europe Oil & Gas Industry, who born you well not to homage to Abeerden people first in term of jobs opportunity.

France do not produce oil locally, but go to Paris and see Engineering Companies/Producing Coy - Technip, Acergy and Total. They protect their people wella , I mean locally Parisian employee.

I rest my Case,

But in Nigeria it is the other way round, people will trow all sorts of reasons to support it, a lot of people are inately evil, but they don't know it, Someone boldly wrote here that ND pple are not good enough for the oil companies, only their oil is good, shame on evil perpetrators and those who continue to support injustise against ND.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by KnowAll(m): 11:37am On Jun 13, 2010
For more than 30 to 40 years, The decision makers of the Oil producing majors decided that they would operate the Oil industry out of Lagos, and some people attribute this to the recent militant activities??

Like I said I work in the Oil industry, so I know what injustices I am talking about, I know what injustises we NDs suffer in the hands of yorubas every blessed day.

When I talk of relocating from Lagos to ND, I am not refering to head offices, I am refering to operational aspects of the business, let me give an example

Chevron based on Lekki express way, operates escravos fields, all engineering, operational decisions, contracting, designs, recruitment take place in Lagos, This is the set up long before the militancy issue. Those at the helm of affairs in Chevron are yoruba, so they strategically position chevron there knowing fully well that they are denying the ND of these benefits, The same goes for snepco, Mobil, schlumberger,
The most painfull aspect is recruitments, for a long time they were done in Lagos, I served in PH in the late 90's and I observed that while we were hustling for job spaces in PH, the Oil companies were recruiting young yoruba youth from Lagos.

I suggest that Goodluck start by moving Napims to Yenegoa or warri, I don't see what they are doing in Lagos?then allow 2 or 3 yrs for the private Oil companies to move fully because thats the normal way thing should be,

I have said be that if the economy of cocoa was being controlled from kaduna during the cocoa era, how would you people supporting the present status quo feel.

Truely we need to hold the Govt of the ND responsible as do all states, and when we start the first questions we will ask is where are the Oil companies operating? If you are governor of a state and you want to boast your economy do you allow small and medium scale industries selected in Lagos, being taxed in Lagos execute all the contrats in your state? You need to be in control of your resourses, your citizens need to be empowered, and the first steps is using what you have to get what you want,

I have given example of UK (London and Aberdeen)(NY and Texas)
The oil companies do not operate the scotish oil field out of london, nor NY, only in LAGOS NIGERIA do we have such.
I am not a Lagos hater, i don't care weather they are the best or worst in the world, I just want control of the resource I am blessed with. Is that asking too much?? How does that amount for asking for lagos to fall or fail??

Again I ask the question, if coal is being mined in enugu and all economic decisions affecting coal are being ocstrated from sokoto, how does that sound to you? does it sound right?

ND pple need to be in control of every aspect of this resourse, from exploration, production, transportation, small and meduim scale set up etc, this does not mean other nigerian will not be engaged but Nigerdeltans should have right of first refusal. The reason? They are blessed with the resourses

To ask them to ignore that resourse and engage in other developmental programs is total foul because that resourse will form the bedrock of any developmental programs,

[size=14pt]One right every citizen of the world would not compromise whether they are black,white, chinese, India OR even Naija is the right to life, I feel your pain, but the idea and thought that some craze youth high on "Marijuana" with the added confidence booster of a Kalashinikov on the other hand can snuff the life out of a living being within a second depending on his irritation OR his demeanour at the time is not everyone's idea of fun OR safe working enviroment.

This scenerio is not a hearsay, WHY would any sane human being want to give up this right to life for some Political Correctness. Mr man u must come to terms with your perils as the only way u can dig yourself out of that rut is for the designated Governors in those areas to start spending the money accrued to them wisely.

The Governors have to create an enabling enviroment so as to attract foreign investors, it does not help when the rumour mills are rife with rumours that Rotimi Amechi is building a refinery in Ghana, if there is any truth in this assertion, then I think the final blow to the dearth and the subsequent rut in the Niger Delta has being signed and sealed by the 5 Chief Security Officers who happen to be the 5 Governors.

This Gentlemen holds the key to any progress in the ND. They are paid 13% more than everyone else, focus and a big search lights should be beamed on their activities.[/size]
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by DaLover(m): 12:49pm On Jun 13, 2010
^Knowall,
Please throw more light on how this focusing and search lighting can be done??

So people are dying in droves in PH and ND ab?
Hope you know that Lagos is not as safe as Aberdeen or Huston, yet because the FG insist tru Napims that deep off shore construction is done on Nigeria, and the Oil companies have selected snake island lagos as the construction hub,
My argument is: If the FG can insist that the Oil companies leave a very safe place to a less safer place than y not ND??
I sure you don't want to know, instead you prefer to provide excuses,

You know quite alright that the governors in most of the 36 states are not put there by the people? Please kindly explain how someone who is not put there by you is accountable to you?? Or r u trying to say that Iwu has been conducting credible elections in ND only?

I said b4, we are very happy with what is happening to Ibori, we are eager to see such happen to Odili and Igbenidion, but these pple are not accountable to us, the only way is tru credible elections and that is why Goodluck is actively pursuing this,

And when we have accountable governors in ND they will definately not allow ND economy to be run from Lagos.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Kobojunkie: 3:03pm On Jun 13, 2010
DaLover:

But in Nigeria it is the other way round, people will trow all sorts of reasons to support it, a lot of people are inately evil, but they don't know it, Someone boldly wrote here that ND pple are not good enough for the oil companies, only their oil is good, shame on evil perpetrators and those who continue to support injustise against ND.

Yet again, you miss the point of the post. He tells you Governments create people-centric policies to aid their own and you immediately conclude that he is telling you you are right in your demands. ROFLMAO!!

READ THE POST

I am not a lawyer but from Travelling and residing in oyinbo countries, I know oyinbo people protect their Land as per Heritage.
In the Uk where we have alot of onshore pipelines , you pay royalities to local community Newcastle Upon Tyne for Example.
Are royalties not being payed to the local communities in the delta where the oil is being mined? If No, please provide proof.

DaLover:

A good example is the current Shakalin Development in Russia, Shell is not finding it easy with local community ( Russia ), the Government of Russia put the people first despite joint venture interest with multination
Notice the word Government there again?

DaLover:

In Abeerden, the Hub of Europe Oil & Gas Industry, who born you well not to homage to Abeerden people first in term of jobs opportunity.
Again Government?

DaLover:

France do not produce oil locally, but go to Paris and see Engineering Companies/Producing Coy - Technip, Acergy and Total. They protect their people wella , I mean locally Parisian employee.
Again, Government.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by DaLover(m): 4:06pm On Jun 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Yet again, you miss the point of the post. He tells you Governments create people-centric policies to aid their own and you immediately conclude that he is telling you you are right in your demands. ROFLMAO!!

Kobojunkie,
This is really becoming boring, I have stated the roll of governments and how they can be held accountable, I have even asked for suggestions on how to hold rogues inposed as governors from abuja accountable, Maybe you are succeeding in your state, Please share your experiences. I promise you that we in the ND will do it, for now the only thing we can think of is credible elections,

I have even gone further to express what an accountable Governor is expected to deliver to his people (An economy built on the foundations of resources you r blessed with).
Just the way we expect a responsible FG to ensure that companies exploiting our resourses for their profit, engage in human capacity development, spur other industrial and economic activities will be the same way we will expect ND governors to do the same??

If left on their own, Shell for instance will prefer that all technical developmental efforts are carried out in holand while lesser important activities are done in Nigeria, Napims is trying to put a stop to this, I hope this lays this issue to rest,

Kobojunkie:

READ THE POST Are royalties not being payed to the local communities in the delta where the oil is being mined? If No, please provide proof.

Can you imagine this, i should provide proof What do you think gave rise to militancy, what do you think Issac Saka Boro and Saro Wiwa of blessed memories were fighting for?? Chicken and Beaf Stew??

For your info, rolayties come in many forms and cash payments to idle natives to keep away from the oil sector is the worst form of it (unfortunately this is what Ol industry in Nigeria would rather practice).

Kobojunkie, please it is not by force to contribute, I think the point I am trying to show has been throughly trashed,
I just need to see some action from Goodluck,
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Kobojunkie: 4:11pm On Jun 13, 2010
DaLover:

I have even gone further to express what an accountable Governor is expected to deliver to his people (An economy built on the foundations of resources you r blessed with).
Just the way we expect a responsible[b] FG to ensure that companies exploiting our resourses for their profit[/b], engage in human capacity development, spur other industrial and economic activities will be the same way we will expect ND governors to do the same??

If left on their own, Shell for instance will prefer that all technical developmental efforts are carried out in holand while lesser important activities are done in Nigeria, Napims is trying to put a stop to this, I hope this lays this issue to rest,

Kobojunkie, please it is not by force to contribute, I think the point I am trying to show has been throughly trashed,

Again, it is NOT the FEDERAL but the STATE/LOCAL government's that you need to attack first. All the examples you have been given so far have been of LOCAL GOVERNMENTS ENSURING TO PUT THEIR PEOPLE FIRST IN IT ALL.  Aberdeen's package for the people but ensured by the LOCAL Government. West Virginia. Texas, Alabama, Californiua, LAGOS, Paris, all LOCAL GOVERNMENT PUSHED AND INSTALLED. Stop Pretending you do not know what the main problem even here is. Why should the PRESIDENT now come do for you what your local government's ought to do for you? Wait, because he is from the area or because the federal should continue to be a tool used by people in one area to take from another?
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by KnowAll(m): 4:17pm On Jun 13, 2010

[size=14pt]The only action Goodluck can give every Nigeria is if a brick layer, OR a common man who has no God-father chooses to run for the governorship of his state and wins the election let him be. But I doubt whether Goodluck would be able to heed to this clarion call because he will also want to benefit from the largasse of stolen and manipulated votes like his predecessors. So I am afraid the rut continues. undecided[/size]
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by DaLover(m): 4:33pm On Jun 13, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]The only action Goodluck can give every Nigeria is if a brick layer, OR a common man who has no God-father chooses to run for the governorship of his state and wins the election let him be. But I doubt whether Goodluck would be able to heed to this clarion call because he will also want to benefit from the largasse of stolen and manipulated votes like his predecessors. So I am afraid the rut continues. undecided[/size]

I am pretty sure he will peform better than OBJ who has ruled nigeria for almost 13yrs, remember that pple are always underating him

Kobojunkie:

Again, it is NOT the FEDERAL but the STATE/LOCAL government's that you need to attack first. All the examples you have been given so far have been of LOCAL GOVERNMENTS ENSURING TO PUT THEIR PEOPLE FIRST IN IT ALL. Aberdeen's package for the people but ensured by the LOCAL Government. West Virginia. Texas, Alabama, Californiua, LAGOS, Paris, all LOCAL GOVERNMENT PUSHED AND INSTALLED. Stop Pretending you do not know what the main problem even here is. Why should the PRESIDENT now come do for you what your local government's ought to do for you? Wait, because he is from the area or because the federal should continue to be a tool used by people in one area to take from another?

I am fast losing the initial respect I had for you kobojunkie, I just hope that looner becomrich has not taken over your profile, he tried and failed to derail the topic of this thread by diverting it to a senseless thread(80% of Oil is not produced in ND) lol.
I tot I had settled this issue of Government at any level.
Ok lets go along with your line of reasoning. I would like to attacke my LG chairman, How do I go about it? Keep in mind that he was not put there by majority of the people in the LG, faultion electioneering (which we hope Goodluck will correct) made him chairman, Police and Legal authorities are currupt and are controlled by FG, Please kindly site examples of how you achieved this feat in your LG, and how your LG is rapidly developing, I am all ears
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Kobojunkie: 4:49pm On Jun 13, 2010
DaLover:

I am fast losing the initial respect I had for you kobojunkie, I just hope that looner becomrich has not taken over your profile, he tried and failed to derail the topic of this thread by diverting it to a senseless thread(80% of Oil is not produced in ND) lol.
Dude, your "respect" buys me NOTHING so quit with it already and FOCUS on trying to argue your side LOGICALLY.

DaLover:

I tot I had settled this issue of Government at any level.
Ok lets go along with your line of reasoning. I would like to attacke my LG chairman, How do I go about it? Keep in mind that he was not put there by majority of the people in the LG faultion electioneering (which we hope Goodluck will correct) made him chairman
Oh, so you will WAIT again for FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to come FIX that issue for you? Lol
By the way, isn't that the SAME problem in ALL areas in NIgeria? Or are you now going to pretend the election issue is a problem only ND areas experience?

DaLover:

Police and Legal authorities are currupt and are controlled by FG, Please kindly site examples of how you achieved this feat in your LG, and how your LG is rapidly developing, I am all ears
Isn't that the situation like EVERYWHERE? Yet, you have CONVENIENTLY ignored in your many ramblings against the YORUBAS and your rants against Lagos State, which itself has to deal with the same election issues, as well POLICE issues.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by sjeezy8: 4:54pm On Jun 13, 2010
Beaf:

^
Frederick Enitiolorunda Obateru Akinruntan does not sound like an ND name, so he is free to base himself in his own place or wherever. We don't care.
All foreign oil companys with 40% FG contracts must be based where the oil is.

Run along to bed now, its quite clear you are tired.

Beaf you are tribalist- your stinking rotten ways are showing Frederick Enitiolorunda Obateru Akinruntan[b] is from ese odo/ Ilaje Oil producing area in Ondo state- Last time I checked Ondo state is in the ND-[/b] you talk as if Every person that isnt a minority isnt in the ND region-

Stop being a fagget

[size=13pt]Here is a urhobo person you fagget Ibafon Oil limited- owned by the Ibrus and head quartered in Apapa Lagos- [/size]

Incase you havent met the ibrus- I have met their different daughters nieces etc on different occasions and they ARE IN LAGOS-

Igbinedions have oil companies also and they are in Lagos or Abuja-
My dads friends are from rivers state and they have Oil companies based in Abuja- not even Lagos
My aunt from Asaba works for NNPC- she is enjoying Abuja to the fullest

Its not about tribe or region its about Elite and places they feel comfortable in be it Lagos or Abuja.

If you have a problem where people base their companies- GET YOUR OWN OIL BLOCK AND BASE YOUR COMPANY IN YOUR OWN STATE-

[size=13pt]THIS SOUNDS MORE LIKE A NON ELITE- THING - not about tribe or region because people I know from the NDelta who work for NNPC are enjoying Abuja WELL[/size]
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Pifa: 4:59pm On Jun 13, 2010
Beaf:

Nigeria is packed full of idiots and wicked people. What happened in the 40+ years before MEND very rightly took up arms in 2006? In that time, what revenue streams did the Nigerian govt develop? What does your state produce for instance, aside from relying on money from the ND? Have you blamed your governor for that?

First things first, the Federal govt owns the oil business; they are partnered with the oil companies in a 60 - 40 relationship. ND states are not pencilled into the contracts in any way. Therefore, blaming ND govts is the action of a dolt.

At the time Ken Saro Wiwa and the Ogoni 9 were executed for making peaceful demands, where were you? At the time so many of our communities were razed to the ground by troops paid and armed by oil companies, where were you? Yes, until recently, Shell and Chevron owned the "Nigerian" army; and they did it becuase "clever" folk like you sell themselves cheap, thinking they are scoring points against the next ethnic group. Fool.

Beaf,

You know very well from my previous posts that I fully support the struggles of the ND against the r_a.p.e of their resources to feed Abuja and many of the parasite northern states. But the leadership of the ND and other oil-producing states must also share the blame for their retarded development. It is one thing for MEND to blow up a federal building in Abuja, but it served no useful purpose to kidnap expat oil workers for ransom other than the agenda of a few criminal elements within MEND. We must recognize that the ND people, too, have contributed their share to the environmental disasters that have rendered their once fertile land unfit for farming and human habitation.

When the oil boom of the 80’s was in full gear, expats abound in the oil producing states. What drove the expats away? If the governors of these states were farsighted, they could have seen the potential of using their proximity to the oil wells to develop their land for industries that rely on crude oil for raw materials. They could do this without taking a dime from the federal government, without owning THE OIL THAT COMES FROM THEIR LAND and without funding these industries themselves.

But they had to provide and encourage an atmosphere that is conducive to the commercial interest of industries that would want to establish facilities there. They had to provide good roads, power for the industrial areas (to circumvent the federal government's prerogative over electricity production), enact business-friendly laws and guarantee public safety. They had to developing an educational system that would provide the workforce these companies would need as they multiplied in number.

This is what Lagos is doing. The state government under Fashola has made it its mandate to clear the way for private industries to strive and, in doing so, generate revenues for the government to develop the state (never mind the ill-advised and silly desire to turn Lagos into a mega city). Lagos has determined that it and only it stands in the way of its development, despite the yoke of an overbearing federal government on its shoulders. Their concept is rather straightforward: generate your IGR (internally Generated Revenue) and propel your own growth.

There was no reason the ND and other oil producing states could not do as Lagos. But when you’ve had governors like Ibori, the fella who slipped away from justice in the UK in the guise of a woman, and the ones who wasted money on useless theme parks, you will understand why the ND may be condemned to an impoverished existence. What about Goodluck Jonathan? Wasn’t his wife caught with $2m in her possession while trying to board a plane for the UK (this is what I read last week, so correct me if I am wrong). Were ND citizens ever offered an explanation for her attempt to smuggle such a large amount of cash out of the country? Isn’t Jonanthan a ND indgene? I understand one of the first things he did when he became president was to send his wife to Dubai for medical treatment.

Surely, this is not what Ken Saro Wiwa died for.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by DaLover(m): 5:10pm On Jun 13, 2010
Asking that Oil companies move from lagos to ND has turned to Lagos bashing, Haba

I tot u were going to explain how to attack my LG, so u haven't even attacked ur LG and u want me to attack mine, The funny thing is I wasn't even attacking the FG,
I have just asked that Goodluck move the oil companies from Lagos to ND and provide conditions for credible elections so we can hold our leaders accountable,

I don;t think we are communicating,  lets rest Doo!!
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by sjeezy8: 5:15pm On Jun 13, 2010
DaLover:

Asking that Oil companies move from lagos to ND has turned to Lagos bashing, Haba

I tot u were going to explain how to attack my LG, so u haven't even attacked your LG and u want me to attack mine, The funny thing is I wasn't even attacking the FG,
I have just asked that Goodluck move the oil companies from Lagos to ND and provide conditions for credible elections so we can hold our leaders accountable,

I don;t think we are communicating, lets rest Doo!!

That doesnt even make sense- How does private companies being in the ND make your leaders in the ND ACCOUNTABLE and provide credible elections?

The only thing ND people are owed is federalism- like the rest of Nigeria but where an Oil company is based should not be of your concern. as its the Oil companies choice
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by DaLover(m): 5:41pm On Jun 13, 2010
Pifa:

When the oil boom of the 80’s was in full gear, expats abound in the oil producing states. What drove the expats away? If the governors of these states were farsighted, they could have seen the potential of using their proximity to the oil wells to develop their land for industries that rely on crude oil for raw materials. They could do this without taking a dime from the federal government, without owning THE OIL THAT COMES FROM THEIR LAND and without funding these industries themselves.    

Pifa what we need in ND is economic development not expat selling their goods, PH and warri had expats for over 30 years and recorded no significant progress, Oil companies just have to move from Lagos, No excuses

Yes the military admisitrator and civilian hooligans did not have the vision etc, they have missed an opportunity but what needs to be done now??

Pifa:

But they had to provide and encourage an atmosphere that is conducive to the commercial interest of industries that would want to establish facilities there. They had to provide good roads, power for the industrial areas (to circumvent the federal government's prerogative over electricity production), enact business-friendly laws and guarantee public safety. They had to developing an educational system that would provide the workforce these companies would need as they multiplied in number.

This is what Lagos is doing. The state government under Fashola has made it its mandate to clear the way for private industries to strive and, in doing so, generate revenues for the government to develop the state (never mind the ill-advised and silly desire to turn Lagos into a mega city). Lagos has determined that it and only it stands in the way of its development, despite the yoke of an overbearing federal government on its shoulders. Their concept is rather straightforward: generate your IGR (internally Generated Revenue) and propel your own growth.

A  lot of infrastructural work is also going on in PH, warri and Yenegoa, maybe not as fast as it should be, but its happening, Militancy is reducing with the amnestice, Can the Oil companies start contemplating moving now?

Pifa:

There was no reason the ND and other oil producing states could not do as Lagos. But when you’ve had governors like Ibori, the fella who slipped away from justice in the UK in the guise of a woman, and the ones who wasted money on useless theme parks, you will understand why the ND may be condemned to an impoverished existence. What about Goodluck Jonathan? Wasn’t his wife caught with $2m in her possession while trying to board a plane for the UK (this is what I read last week, so correct me if I am wrong). Were ND citizens ever offered an explanation for her attempt to smuggle such a large amount of cash out of the country? Isn’t Jonanthan a ND indgene? I understand one of the first things he did when he became president was to send his wife to Dubai for medical treatment.

Since he is president his wife should answer to all of nigeria not ND alone, we encourage EFCC to recover our looted funds from Alams and Ibori, Please none of this excuses justify the Oil economy being run from Lagos for over 30yrs,
Jesus Christ Y r u pple like this?
Are yourbas this wicked and selfish and all the while, so willing to lend thier interlect to perpetrate this injustise?
R u afriad of what will happen to Lagos if the Oil majors move out?
Must you control the Oil industry while the real owners suffer?

You guys are just something else!!
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by DaLover(m): 5:47pm On Jun 13, 2010
sjeezy8:

That doesnt even make sense- How does private companies being in the ND make your leaders in the ND ACCOUNTABLE and provide credible elections?

The only thing ND people are owed is federalism- like the rest of Nigeria but where an Oil company is based should not be of your concern. as its the Oil companies choice

sjeezy, there is a lot of initial txt that lead to this one, maybe u didn't have time to read all of them, kindly spend some time doing so, U may want to revise ur last post
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Onlytruth(m): 6:23pm On Jun 13, 2010
I observed the heated exchange between Beaf and oyb with keen interest because both were caught up (though deliberately by oyb) by the contradictions of the Nigerian geopolitical set up.

Beaf is right to state that Warri is not in East, but oyb is also right to insist that it is!
Now, before anyone calls for my head, hear me out first.

Beaf's main point was that the ND is not the East. To dispute that I posted a map. From the map,  even Anambra state is in the ND, and will soon be added to ND officially (per Nigeria's oil based definition of ND) when the more than 1 billion barrels of oil in the Anambra river basin come on stream. So at least three out of five of the current south eastern states are in the ND.

But the more important point is the one raised by oyb, which is that the entire region stretching from Calabar to Edo can actually be called the "East" because they share the negative impact of oil exploration and agitations. They represent the bulk of oil producing states in Nigeria, which is the point of the thread - the oil producing region is not enjoying the benefit that could accrue from companies basing in the region.

The negative impact of oil politics, an example of which is that fuel tank farms in the ND where not allowed to operate, only the Lagos tank farms where allowed to operate until Jonathan's ascendancy.
Kidnapping and other militancy which resulted from the same oil politics is plaguing the entire region from Edo to Calabar. Higher fuel prices in the south east was a direct result of the inoperative status of the fuel tank farms in delta and rivers states for instance. So how can any fair mind really separate things here? This is what oyinbo people call "splitting of hairs".

When a friend from Imo state sat for a Cheron employment exams last year and came out tops, he almost lost the chance of employment because (again) a Yoruba woman from Ogun state sat on his documents. He was saved bythe grace of God when the woman's shenanigan almost backfired on her. So, how can someone from Ogun state -a non-oil producing state- decide the fate of a man from an oil producing state?

THIS IS THE QUESTION.

Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Onlytruth(m): 6:28pm On Jun 13, 2010
So, yes Warri is physically not in the Eastern part of Nigeria, but it shares all things with the East as far as oil politics is concerned.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Osama10(m): 6:35pm On Jun 13, 2010
tpiah:

osama, i have gone through your posts and i'm of the opinion you are a wife batterer.This thread alone has proved that.

you say you're married? Good thing you're in the UK where you can take your wife back to your village, beat the hell out of her, batter her to within an inch of her senses, and get away with it.

every ape has a computer undecided

HeHeHe, To hell with your stinking opinion I agree am a wife batterer.Do you know what you are " A MAN BATTERER" which is worse, old cougar. grin

Ashawo, customer dey wait for you inside room and you dey here dey waste time with me.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Kobojunkie: 8:08pm On Jun 13, 2010
DaLover:

OH WOW!!! you mean you didn't start this thread? You did not earlier claim that LAGOS itself made some demands on the oil companies? You did not mention YORUBAs in reference to Lagos earlier? come on, be honest when debating as it does at least help your side a bit.

DaLover:

I tot u were going to explain how to attack my LG, so u haven't even attacked your LG and u want me to attack mine, The funny thing is I wasn't even attacking the FG,
Oh Wait!!! So I HAVE TO EXPLAIN how to attack LG to you? ROFLMAO!!!
You claimed YOU CANNOT step up to your LG, and I told you the problem is NATION-WIDE and not ND ONLY. But the same you claimed LAGOS( LOCAL) has been able to make demands on Oil companies, but somehow forget to mention that the reason your own ND Government( LOCAL) has refused to step up to the plate is because it has so far not felt the need to do so.
So, IF YOU accept that the LOCAL can still do something from the very point you made earlier of Lagos, but REFUSE to also accept that the main problem is probably your LOCAL, and not the FEDERAL which you SEEM to EXPECT to do for you what LOCAL Government is meant for, what in the world are you still going on about?
DaLover:

I don;t think we are communicating,  lets rest Doo!!
But you CANNOT make such DEMANDS of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT when IT IS NOT THE JOB of the FEDERAL Government to MOVE PRIVATE COMPANIES FROM ONE STATE TO ANOTHER JUST BECAUSE. What else? FG should come wipe your arses for you?

First the argument from some on here only a couple of months ago was that if only more NDs were allowed in highest office in the country, all things in ND land will be well. Now, we have a  Niger-Deltan as president and the EXCUSES FOR FAILURE in the region continue to flow. Why? Don't you think it is time you direct all your anger and fear at those who you claim you did not elect as a majority and make them suffer with your many groups like MEND and co? Imagine BILLIONS of dollars to the Local governments, more than any other state out there can claim and the showers of excuses continue to flow.

If what you want is for Jonathan to turn DICTATOR like his predecessors, then BRING IT ON! I am sure the rest of the country will like to dish out the same LOGIC you are offering here/PLAY THAT SAME card against you when they get power too. And I hope you will be happy with that too then.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by paddylo1(m): 9:27pm On Jun 13, 2010
When a friend from Imo state sat for a Cheron employment exams last year and came out tops, he almost lost the chance of employment because (again) a Yoruba woman from Ogun state sat on his documents. He was saved bythe grace of God when the woman's shenanigan almost backfired on her. So, how can someone from Ogun state -a non-oil producing state- decide the fate of a man from an oil producing state?

Is chevron not a private oil company?. . what has state of origin got to do with it. .
The company can hire and fire whomever they want. . .

your friend should go apply to NNPC,where they do quota
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Beaf: 9:58pm On Jun 13, 2010
@sjeezy
Read, reread and then reread all over again, the post you replied to here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-461832.96.html#msg6207279
Try hard to understand it. I am asking that, because you have launched into a mad argument with yourself.

Your head shouldn't be attached to your neck for nothing. grin grin grin
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Beaf: 9:59pm On Jun 13, 2010
Onlytruth:

So, yes Warri is physically not in the Eastern part of Nigeria, but it shares all things with the East as far as oil politics is concerned.

True.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Beaf: 10:14pm On Jun 13, 2010
pifa:
Beaf,

You know very well from my previous posts that I fully support the struggles of the ND against the r_a.p.e of their resources to feed Abuja and many of the parasite northern states. But the leadership of the ND and other oil-producing states must also share the blame for their retarded development. It is one thing for MEND to blow up a federal building in Abuja, but it served no useful purpose to kidnap expat oil workers for ransom other than the agenda of a few criminal elements within MEND. We must recognize that the ND people, too, have contributed their share to the environmental disasters that have rendered their once fertile land unfit for farming and human habitation.

Surely, this is not what Ken Saro Wiwa died for.

Thanks for a pretty decent response. I must apologise for some of my words.
You talk about an oil boom in the 80’s and at the same time implore us to query our elected officials. Not stopping there, you provided quite a juicy list of criminals that we must hold to book. I resent the example of Jonathans wife, though, she was never found guilty by a court and she has never been in govt. Lets keep it decent.

What I find really strange about your analysis is the fact that in the 80’s, not only did my state NOT exist; but from 1984, we had military rule, first by Buhari, then Babangida. So what elected official is to be held responsible? What governor?
Your whole argument is very terribly flawed.

Was there an oil boom in the 80's?
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Onlytruth(m): 11:00pm On Jun 13, 2010
paddy_lo:

Is chevron not a private oil company?. . what has state of origin got to do with it. .
The company can hire and fire whomever they want. . .

your friend should go apply to NNPC,where they do quota

Unless you want to be deliberately dishonest, you were supposed to understand the context in which I used "sat on the application". For other readers not familiar with Nigerian tribalism, I meant to maliciously manipulate the outcome of the application by hiding some documents and claiming the guy's application was incomplete. That is illegal whether in a private or a government owned company.

The most painful aspect of it is that the woman doing this is from a non-oil producing state.

The nearest similarity is whereby someone from Anambra state or Cross river state is invidiously denying a guy from Ogun state his fair chance of getting a job at O'dua group of companies, or any company founded by Nigeria's Cocoa industry whose headquarters is somehow incongruously located in Port Harcourt.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Onlytruth(m): 11:03pm On Jun 13, 2010
And don't even try to come up with the fact that oil is the domain of the federal government. If there is no Niger delta, there would be no oil for the federal government to own.

That is why Jonathan truly has his work cut out for him to address these types of evil skews in Nigeria.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Osama10(m): 11:03pm On Jun 13, 2010
O'dua group of companies, ha ha ha ha. grin
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by DaLover(m): 12:55am On Jun 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

OH WOW!!! you mean you didn't start this thread? You did not earlier claim that LAGOS itself made some demands on the oil companies? You did not mention YORUBAs in reference to Lagos earlier? come on, be honest when debating as it does at least help your side a bit.

Please kindly reference where I said Lagos state made demands on the Oil companies. What I remember saying is that the Yoruba leadership of the oil companies have strategecally and unfairly situated the operations of the Oil companies in Lagos. I hope u r not on any sort of medication?
The FG tru napims insisted that the Oil companies relocation their operations from abroad and the yoruba leadership of the oil companies hijacked/ prevented this from going straight to ND for very selfish and tribalistic reasons. This has been happening since time memorial,
Please kindly attached scanned copy of certificate of sanity from a popular and well recognised mental health institute along with your next response. I begining to think I might not be interacting with a normal person.

Kobojunkie:

Oh Wait!!! So I HAVE TO EXPLAIN how to attack LG to you? ROFLMAO!!!
You claimed YOU CANNOT step up to your LG, and I told you the problem is NATION-WIDE and not ND ONLY. But the same you claimed LAGOS( LOCAL) has been able to make demands on Oil companies, but somehow forget to mention that the reason your own ND Government( LOCAL) has refused to step up to the plate is because it has so far not felt the need to do so.
So, IF YOU accept that the LOCAL can still do something from the very point you made earlier of Lagos, but REFUSE to also accept that the main problem is probably your LOCAL, and not the FEDERAL which you SEEM to EXPECT to do for you what LOCAL Government is meant for, what in the world are you still going on about?But you CANNOT make such DEMANDS of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT when IT IS NOT THE JOB of the FEDERAL Government to MOVE PRIVATE COMPANIES FROM ONE STATE TO ANOTHER JUST BECAUSE. What else? FG should come wipe your arses for you?

You are probably a beneficiary of what internal management the cocoa economy by the yoruba for the benefit of the yorubas, but you can't let go of Oil economy for the NDs. You have to be a really wicked asshole to sleep well defending this fact. And that is why I keep saying that the problem of the ND is not and never the North!!

It is the same pple that want only the Lagos Ports to work, The north will not be interested in making the Ports in the ND not working, The east will be happy to encourage the ports in ND to work so that Aba and Onitsha warehouses can be stocked thu them, Only one set of people feel that they would loose if ports in the ND work and your guess is as good as mine on who they are.

Imagine that during Objs entire ternure, tank farms in ND did not work so that all supplies could come tru lagos. I honestly don't know what else can be classified as wickedness if not this, while lagosians were paying =N=65 for fuel, ND and east were paying =N=150, and then whenever pple in Lagos have to pay a bit higher nationwide strike is declared, A lot of tank farms sprunge up in lagos

Kobojunkie:

So, IF YOU accept that the LOCAL can still do something from the very point you made earlier of Lagos, but REFUSE to also accept that the main problem is probably your LOCAL, and not the FEDERAL which you SEEM to EXPECT to do for you what LOCAL Government is meant for, what in the world are you still going on about?But you CANNOT make such DEMANDS of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT when IT IS NOT THE JOB of the FEDERAL Government to MOVE PRIVATE COMPANIES FROM ONE STATE TO ANOTHER JUST BECAUSE. What else? FG should come wipe your arses for you?
If after all my explainations and examples on how how government can make companies act accordingly, you still say this then you are truely daft

Kobojunkie:

First the argument from some on here only a couple of months ago was that if only more NDs were allowed in highest office in the country, all things in ND land will be well. Now, we have a Niger-Deltan as president and the EXCUSES FOR FAILURE in the region continue to flow. Why? Don't you think it is time you direct all your anger and fear at those who you claim you did not elect as a majority and make them suffer with your many groups like MEND and co? Imagine BILLIONS of dollars to the Local governments, more than any other state out there can claim and the showers of excuses continue to flow.
If what you want is for Jonathan to turn DICTATOR like his predecessors, then BRING IT ON! I am sure the rest of the country will like to dish out the same LOGIC you are offering here/PLAY THAT SAME card against you when they get power too. And I hope you will be happy with that too then.
So asking mend to attack currupt LG chairmen is your suggestion on how to tackle the curruption in the ND? I don't have words again
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Kobojunkie: 12:59am On Jun 15, 2010
DaLover:

Please kindly reference where I said Lagos state made demands on the Oil companies. What I remember saying is that the Yoruba leadership of the oil companies have strategecally and unfairly situated the operations of the Oil companies in Lagos. I hope u r not on any sort of medication?
This is from your own post . . .
DaLover:

I can also ask u the same question, when you forced shell to bring down their deep water engineering outfit from Huston texas to Lagos did you ever consider what Huston has that lagos does not??
Is Lagos now no longer part of what you consider YORUBA axis? Or are we now going to pretend you were not somehow pointing a finger at the Yoruba's including Lagos in this?

DaLover:

Please kindly attached scanned copy of certificate of sanity from a popular and well recognised mental health institute along with your next response. I begining to think I might not be interacting with a normal person.
I hate dishonest debating of all kinds . . . . I remember asking you time and time again to elaborate on what you meant but you kept avoiding the question.
DaLover:

You are probably a beneficiary of what internal management the cocoa economy by the yoruba for the benefit of the yorubas, but you can't let go of Oil economy for the NDs. You have to be a really wicked asshole to sleep well defending this fact. And that is why I keep saying that the problem of the ND is not and never the North!!
No need for the continued TRIBALISTIC RAMBLINGS . . .  learn to develop your brain cells and actually attack the topic rather than the person you are debating with . . . it reveals your level of intelligence.

DaLover:

It is the same pple that want only the Lagos Ports to work, The north will not be interested in making the Ports in the ND not working, The east will be happy to encourage the ports in ND to work so that Aba and Onitsha warehouses can be stocked thu them, Only one set of people feel that they would loose if ports in the ND work and your guess is as good as mine on who they are.
Oh boy!!! More excuses for the government in the east I see!

DaLover:

Imagine that during Objs entire ternure, tank farms in ND did not work so that all supplies could come tru lagos. I honestly don't know what else can be classified as wickedness if not this, while lagosians were paying =N=65 for fuel, ND and east were paying =N=150, and then whenever pple in Lagos have to pay a bit higher nationwide strike is declared, A lot of tank farms sprunge up in lagos
And there you go again blaming the FG and Lagosians for the stupidity of your leaders. My Gosh, do you ever quit? Let me guess, Lagos and the FG is also to blame for the fact that food items are more expensive in the east and not so in Lagos? ***rolls eyes***
DaLover:

If after all my explainations and examples on how how government can make companies act accordingly, you still say this then you are truely daft
So asking mend to attack currupt LG chairmen is your suggestion on how to tackle the curruption in the ND? I don't have words again
All you have done is SHOW YOURSELF just another ND element here to whine and barely making any sense in all. Learn to separate the duties of FG, Lagos Government and that of your own State and Local Government. Once you do that, I am almost convinced that you will realize how deep the problem you have at the local and state levels, yes, even in ND directly affect you more on a daily basis than what happens at ASO rock today.
I thought you would realize that when you mentioned that the problems with the state is same across the board, but I guess I overestimated that mind of yours.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by omoabike: 8:32pm On Jun 15, 2010
Since I joined this forum I often refrain from making comments on issues bordering on ethnicity or region, because most times, such discussions eventually turn into avenue for name-calling and insults rather than for information sharing. However, I decide to comment on this issue because I am passionate about this and I think both sides to this discussion have valid points that are worthy of considerations.
For disclosure, I am Yoruba but I am not here to represent the Yoruba views or to bash the North, South East or the South-South but rather to add my own view as a stake holder in this matter because I am a Nigerian in the oil and gas industry and I believe I have some insights that I think are worth sharing.
I do agree with DaLover, that one of the things you can credit OBJ government for is the fact that his government was able to force the Oil majors to start having Field management and development planning studies in addition to some aspects of Production Design in the country.
This provided jobs for thousands of Geosciences and Engineering graduates who hitherto had not been opportune to have jobs. Any graduate of Geosciences in the late 1990s and early 2000s would tell you that this local content component of the oil industry laws helped in providing jobs for them. I am a living example of that. 
Those of us who were not employed by the big oil service companies were employed by small indigenous servicing firms created by retired former Oil Majors employees.
Hitherto what has been happening is for the Oil Majors to carry out such studies in Houston, The Hague, Aberdeen and Alberta.  The complaint had been that Nigerians are not qualified to do these jobs. This is what made the government to get serious about the PTDF scholarships for Nigerians.
(Disclosure I am not a recipient of this scholarship, but I know friends from all over Nigeria who had gone to the UK and US on PTDF scholarships)
It is incorrect to say that London does not have headquarters of Oil Companies. Shell and BP have headquarters in London even when most of their oil field is in the North Sea.
Having said this, I think the Niger Delta people clamoring for relocation of installations to the Niger Delta may have genuine premise for the request. However,  I think rather than asking for forceful relocation, the plan should be to ask what it is that the companies see in Lagos that may be lacking in the Niger Delta of today and find ways to provide such.
It is in this light that I supported Amaechi while I was staying in Port Harcourt. I do believe he is ready to tell the people the home truth  on how  Rivers State  could transform into a better and more business friendly society while at the same time providing infrastructures on the ground that are conducive for business to thrive .
Cities that become hub for businesses such as oil and gas have to be cosmopolitan and ready to accept outsiders as the oil and gas business is a global one. Houston, Aberdeen and even New Orleans are known for their cosmopolitan nature.
Every Nigerians would attest to the fact Lagos is unequal to all other states in terms of infrastructures. Although the whole country is lacking much needed infrastructures, Lagos by far, definitely because of its former status as the Federal capital, has more infrastructures way above what other states can provide at the moment.
The management of these oil companies sees Nigerian politicians in general and Niger Delta politicians in particular as an inept and corrupt bunch. So any politicians that would take them on must be ready to be above board in the provisions of services whose absence they could use as excuse for not being physically on the ground in the Niger Delta.
I do believe that the Niger Delta can and should get better deals from oil and gas exploration and production, but my I am of the view  that the region as the rest of Nigeria would require visionary and courageous leaders to be able to creatively bring this about.
It may seems irrelevant, but please read the link about the Bafokeng people in South Africa. The community is seating on an estimated 40% of the world economic Platinum deposits.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/12/world/africa/12safrica.html?ref=africa
It is the kind of leaders like the Kings of Bafokeng that I am talking about.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by Beaf: 8:52pm On Jun 15, 2010
^
You have spoken very commendably. Most times when topics like this are raised, one or two little minds tend to lose their senses and everything needlessly collapses into ethnic mudslinging. I really commend your words.
If we get the oil and gas industry right, it means we have largely got the whole country right.

We live in a country that is shameless. Other oil producing countries have developed money spinning technological know how and services around their oil industries; for example Middle Eastern companies specialising in spill response have offered high tech assistance to BP in the Gulf of Mexico cleanup operations, several oil producing countries have refineries in foreign lands and a myriad at home. Nigeria, sadly does not even have a single oil tanker to transport our produce and things are so bad with us that we do not see this as an obvious need.

Yes, we need visionary leaders; till date, we have only had mediocrity and buffoonery. Most don't know it, most don't care; yet everyone agree's we are suffering and sinking as a nation.

As for the excuse that the ND might not be secure enough for the oil companies. . . Providing quality livelyhoods for those who are going through tremendous pain to provide for the country, will begin to make the people feel a sense of belonging and put aside suspicions and weapons. The average Niger Deltan does not feel the rest of the country cares, indeed a member of the NASS, Bala Ibn Na' Allah famously recommended to the effect, that all ND folk be wiped out, so the rest of Nigerians could help themselves to oil.
The fact that oil companies have head quarters in Iraq and Afghanistan, blows away security as a reason why the same cannot happen in the Niger Delta.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by DaLover(m): 9:46pm On Jun 15, 2010
Omoabike thanks for the contribution,
But it seams th security situation, the 13% to d state govs and other present ongoings seam to be a convinent excuse,
Ok let's rewind to time past say mid 80s to early 90s when we had military dictators and peacful Nigerdeltans. 2hat was the excuse for running ND economy from lagos then UK oil economy is not and has never been run from london, so also US oil economy from NY, despite the fact that NY and london have 400% better infrastructure, it may be a difficult pill to swallow but a lot of injustises being dished out to d nigerdeltans but intelligensia from the west,
If you would remember during the cocoa boom era, when lagos was still a federal capital territory, where all Nigerians could claim equal ownership(like abuja today), the cocoa economy was rooted and operated from Ibadan, I personnally can't think of any infrastructure cocoa impacted on lagos.(I may be wrong here).

Much later after the cocoa boom and after so much development of lagos with federal funds it was converted to a yoruba state during one of the constitutional conferences(can't remember which). That is probably the real reason y d rest of nigeria started thinking of an alternative home,

From what I read of the Bafokeng people they may be heading towards failure, just the way nigeria did, let me explain my point,
The king, is bulding schools, building sports training centers, building toilets, buying this, buying that, buying buying, buying, buying, I didn't see anything in the articule about developing capacity, capacity to build schools, capacity to build stadium, capacity to process your platinium by yourselves, instead of exporting the ore and smiling like u have achieved somethbing, developing capacity of this nature goes way beyond having grsduate,even quality graduates, and to me that is where nigeria failed becos after curning out so many graduates, all the ministary jobs got filled and lack of industrial capacity meant even after spending years working, you would be a paper pusher,

Y am I saying all this, it goes back to tbe topic of this thread and the key questions posed here, how can ND use it resources to develop industrial capacity to build an economy (this is very different from a company training)
. As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no reason or justification whatsoever to deny the ND pple of this opportunity.
Re: Govt And Private Oil Companies Should Relocate From Lagos To Nigerdelta by tpiah: 9:50pm On Jun 15, 2010
omoabike

you are a dreamer and i hope you understand the nature of who and what you're dealing with here on this site before it's too late. Assuming you're not already one of them.

i'm not holding my breath though!

siddon there for PH and keep basking!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do I Tell Someone From Another Country That This Is Police In My Country?? / 7000 People Have Unfollowed Kemi Olunloyo On Twitter? / We Need Infrastructure, Investments, Let's End Destruction — Sen. Kalu Pleads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 235
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.