Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,902 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act (1029 Views)

Reasons Why Obama Is By Far The Worst President / Obama Must Go! Russia Warns War Against America "Use With Nuclear Weapons" / Why Obama Die His Hair? Where Is His Grey Hair? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by preselect(m): 1:11am On Jun 23, 2010
another reason why obama must act. i hope he wont go with his usual delusion as a ''uniter'' to attempt to find a ''middleground''. this guy must be fired otherwise the world will see Obama as a weak weak leader which most people(including me) see him as already.

this is what happens when a leader is soft. i remember this guy made some unprofessional comments in the past and was pardoned by the great uniter Obama . . . and now this . . .

this shows absolutely no regards for the president.
is it bc Obama is black or is it bc Obama is a democrat?
what is it about the military, that they always disregard democratic presidents (except FDR)?

If Obama doesnt fire this guy, then I will have no regard for him either. angry

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/22/stanley-mcchrystal-top-us_n_620567.html
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by metalgong5(m): 9:31am On Jun 23, 2010
@poster

Shut the fu-ck up!! Always trying to link everything to black and white issue.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by ElRazur: 10:17am On Jun 23, 2010
@presselect

An alternative view is that a good leader should not be immune to criticism. Even if it questions his logic.

The General already apologized, and if he is the right man for the job, let him continue. While it may not be what you want, the overall goal is more important.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by Kobojunkie: 12:06pm On Jun 23, 2010
^^^Even beyond that, the president needs to maybe LISTEN a bit more to his generals rather than continuing to pursue DEAD END policies in Afghanistan.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by TayoD1(m): 12:24pm On Jun 23, 2010
@kobokunkie,

After all the speculations about whether you are a male or female, you have finally laid the debate to rest on your profile. I hope I wasn't mean to you at some point in time o. I'm sure my mannerism towards you would have been more gentle if I had suspected you are female.

@topic,

I do not support what the General did, even though none of the statement made were directly attributed to him in a formal interview. However, I think he has been frustrated enough by the WH that he felt the only way to make these bunch of Community Organizers pay attention is to throw this stunt. It's unfortunate that our enemies sem to be united while we are apparently in disarray. This does not bode well for the war in Afghanistan.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by montelik(m): 2:59pm On Jun 23, 2010
pres-elect:

what is it about the military, that they always disregard democratic presidents (except FDR)?

If Obama doesn't fire this guy, then I will have no regard for him either.  angry

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/22/stanley-mcchrystal-top-us_n_620567.html
You have begun again, injecting needless partisanship and race into a matter that is clear. Tell me didn't a President Truman have to fire Gen McArthur during the Korean wars for insubordination. What about the generals who were cheered by Democrats for blasting G.W Bush's war strategy in Iraq and Afgahnistan. Whenever there is a war and civilian leadership is calling the shots over the heads of military leaders there will be disagreement, bad feelings and criticism. It has nothing to do with party identification or race, simple.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by montelik(m): 4:58pm On Jun 23, 2010
The General deserves the sack with immediate effect and a tongue lashing as well. But the truth is that firing him might well be playing into his hands. Some how I think he himself has grown frustrated and performed this stunt to get himself fired. He probably knows thing aren't looking good in Afghan and is trying to escape before the "poo hits the fan". I find it difficult to believe he would be silly enough to give this sort interview to a magazine like Rolling stone and not know what would be the end result.

There is no justification for him to have done what he did. As a decorated military officer he knows that there are appropriate and official channels through which he can make his grievances known. Even if he did this out some sort selfless attempt to expose what he may have felt was poor behavior and strategy on the part of the administration, he has severely compromised the authority of the Commander in chief, while setting a poor example to the hundreds of thousands of men under his command. He has also destroyed the already fragile morale of the troops involved in Afghanistan with his poorly expressed opinion.

Obama is now caught between a rock and a hard place. If he doesn't fire McChrystal it may well serve to further undermine the authority he never seemed to possess as Commander in chief. It  has become clear that many in the armed forces aren't very confident in his abilities. Allowing McChrystal stay may worsen the situation. Besides it is difficult to see the working relationship between McChrystal and other key administration officials being effective after this debacle.But then firing McChrystal further complicates an already badly compromised Afghanistan strategy. With Obama having developed a very rigid approach with a fixed timetable for withdrawal, firing the General who plays an integral role and is one the few trained in executing the counter-insurgency strategy required will create a major headache.

Well this what he campaigned for, to make the tough decisions. He tried to dodge with his initial approach to the Afghanistan issue earlier, now he can't dodge this one.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Jun 23, 2010
montelik:

I find it difficult to believe he would be silly enough to give this sort interview to a magazine like Rolling stone and not know what would be the end result.

puzzle there! Of all Magazines

@TayoD, Nairaland forced the gender classification there on me . . . I went away and came back to find that. Have not bothered to change it though . . . does not matter really as it is just a letter.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by preselect(m): 6:09pm On Jun 23, 2010
@all
thanks for your comment
@montelik
i did not just play the race card. i asked a question. is it bc he is black? note that it wasnt the only question i asked. i also asked if it was bc he is a democrat. and just a little correction, gen mcarthur was fired by harry truman(democrat) whom he overtly disrespected.
@tayo
showing his frustration by throwing ''this stunt'' to the ''community organizers'' in the WH makes him what? he has disrespected himself. if obama (in his delusion as pretend jesus the saviour of the world) decides to keep him, that makes obama grand(not to me) and him so little.
what issued did he raise? biden bite me? jones a clown from the 80s? even other generals(who dont have regard for obama anyway, stand with obama o this issue. this is not about the issues he raised(if any) but about military tradition and constitution of the US. he failed and failed woefully.
@kobojunkie
he did not raise any issues here. he just insulted the civilian authorities. he has no case really. by the way, i agree with the statement about dead end policies in afghanistan. that is classical obama playing to the republicans. . . . . . .Pull Out of that Country.
@metal-gong
you should have read the whole post. dont just read one line and rave and rant. i asked questions. what the general did was so unbelievable that all questions have to be on the table. but u selected one and showed your innermost character.
@all
if a general is fed up with a president, what he needs to do is to resign. that is what top generals with intergrity do. resign and then feel free to criticise.he failed the military tradition.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by montelik(m): 6:22pm On Jun 23, 2010
@ Pres. Duly noted and corrected. But my original point still stands, countless past presidents have had problems with generals. Even FDR who you sight had issues with a few.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by preselect(m): 6:29pm On Jun 23, 2010
possibly. but mostly the generals have disregard for democratic presidents. . . . truman, kennedy, carter, clinton . . and now obama. mcarthur overtly disrespected truman(truman was a frontline soldier in WW1 when mcarthur was an senior officer.)
even bush that ''dodged'' vietnam service was given more respect among the military brass. i dont know why.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by ElRazur: 6:49pm On Jun 23, 2010
Mcrystals meets Obama. Meeting lasted 30 mins. Mccrystal resigns. Obama accepted.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/37875336#37875336

[Live video feed]
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by montelik(m): 7:01pm On Jun 23, 2010
pres-elect:

possibly. but mostly the generals have disregard for democratic presidents. . . . truman, kennedy, carter, clinton . . and now obama. mcarthur overtly disrespected truman(truman was a frontline soldier in WW1 when mcarthur was an senior officer.)
[b]even bush that ''dodged'' vietnam service [/b]was given more respect among the military brass. i dont know why.
I sincerely hope you meant to say Cheney. Bush didn't dodge anything. Even Dan Rather that tried to allege such nonsense, lost his reputation trying to sell a lie.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by 4Play(m): 7:05pm On Jun 23, 2010
pres-elect:

@montelik
i did not just play the race card. i asked a question. is it bc he is black? note that it wasnt the only question i asked. i also asked if it was bc he is a democrat. and just a little correction, gen mcarthur was fired by harry truman(democrat) whom he overtly disrespected.

Your questions are baseless and only serve to impugn McChrystal's character. The contentious Rolling Stone article noted that the Gen voted for Obama, yet, you are suggesting that he may be a racist and is against Democrats. It's as if any criticism of Obama must have underlying racist motives. The fact that the General criticised just as much whites like Biden, Holbrooke and Eikenberry doesn't register in your head.

I do agree, however, that the General's position became untenable once his views leaked out as it goes against the very essence of democracy to have military men publicly attacking the Commander-In-Chief. Any criticism must be expressed indoors. I sympathise with some of the frustrations of the military top brass towards the Obama administration but they have absolutely no business undermining the president in the court of public opinion.
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by NegroNtns(m): 7:08pm On Jun 23, 2010

BOTH!

You can chalk this into the list of insults and direct assault on blacks, regardless of social background and status.

Prior to press, the context of the article was sampled for its impact.  It could have been modified or delayed for release but no one on the General's side objected to it.  There is a pervasive pattern of assault on blacks, regardless of the background or social status.

You assault them and then apologize later!  In some instances, you assault them and demand they apologize to you!!  Thats the case with the 17yr old punched in the face.  That was the case with Professor Gates.  That was the case with the dude in New York killed the night before his wedding.  How many more do we need to recall to establish this as a pattern?
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by ElRazur: 8:25pm On Jun 23, 2010
Negro nuts lol. You are crazy. grin
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by preselect(m): 2:18am On Jun 24, 2010
lol
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by preselect(m): 2:10am On Jun 25, 2010
even hot headed nobamatic republican-party-of-no senators agreed that the general misbehaved and should be fired. he raised no issue but even if he raised important issues he was stupid to do so this way and has made a hopeless stain on his otherwise outstanding military service. all normal people opposed this nonsense [s]. . . . well . . . .except . . . . . some obama haters in nairaland and some bitter hilary supporters here[/s] grin

good thing he was fired. bomboclaat. next mission for obama is to withdraw from afghanistan as soon as possible cool
and cameron should also pull out the british troops ASAP. angry
Re: General Mccrystal: Why Obama Must Act by thameamead(f): 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2010
Rolling Stones Magazine?

(1) (Reply)

Malian 'hero' Of Paris Attacks Gets French Nationality / Is America Full Of Low Lives? I'm Disappointed. PICTURES. / 'fidel Castro Is Dead!': Donald Trump Is Mocked For His Tweet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.