Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,667 members, 7,851,270 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:09 PM

Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? (5008 Views)

Results From Buhari's Daura Polling Unit / Photos From Buhari Mega Rally In Ebonyi / Aisha Jummai Alhassan Resigns From Buhari Cabinet To Vie For Taraba Governorship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 12:21am On Aug 24, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

So it's Awo that made it so? What role did he play that's bigger than the role Jakande, Bola Ige, Bisi Akande or even Anthony Enahoro and Alfred Rewane played?

He was Awo's deputy Just like Okpara was Zik's deputy. How many monuments are named after Okpara in the whole of the SE today?
You are trying to be smart by a half.

Of course you know Dr Michael Okpara was a highly cherished and respected in the entire East.

Monuments and landmarks commemorating his life and times dot the wrong of former Eastern Region.

Awo and Akintola feud was fingered for precipitating the first coup and by extension the civil war...
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by raumdeuter: 12:25am On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:
Oga, don't do blind arguments.

I said ask older folks to tell you why Ladoke Akintola is relatively unknown in the South West today and why he is fleetingly mentioned as a footnote in the history of the region...

How is Michael Okpara remembered in the east and let's compare to Akintola
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by Shukuakukobambi: 12:25am On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:
You are trying to be smart by a half.

Of course you know Dr Michael Okpara was a highly cherished and respected in the entire East.

Monuments and landmarks commemorating his life and times dot the wrong of former Eastern Region.

Awo and Akintola feud was fingered for precipitating the first coup and by extension the civil war...

and Akintola doesn't have monuments named after him in the west?

no one said they didn't have issues. You claimed Awo ensured his memory was obliterated in the west and i say prove it

2 Likes

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 12:32am On Aug 24, 2018
raumdeuter:

How is Michael Okpara remembered in the east and let's compare to Akintola
Pointless.

Akintola is more or less a villain.

The same cannot be said about Okpara...

Akintota allied with the NPC to form the NNA and by so doing relegated Awo in the balance of power.

Okpara was an unrepentant Zikist a trusted and loyal member of NCNC
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 12:38am On Aug 24, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

and Akintola doesn't have monuments named after him in the west?

no one said they didn't have issues. You claimed Awo ensured his memory was obliterated in the west and i say prove it
You have refused to do some research.

I am not doing that for you...
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by Shukuakukobambi: 12:40am On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:
You have refused some research.

I am not doing that for you...

I hear you cheesy
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by raumdeuter: 12:51am On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:
I am not supporting the ill-advised coup led by Nzeogwu.

However, if not for double speak and somersault, Samuel Ladoke Akintola was a hate figure in the West.

He was not singled out but lost his life in the irrational and senseless coup which a misguided Nzeogwu led.

Most of those who lost their lives were fingered for being the root causes of the political and social maladies of that First Republic...

This, BTW, is the first time I am seeing Yorubas remembering Akintola... A man Awolowo fought both in life and after the man died. He made sure almost every memory of the man was erased in the West...

You are using him to win an argument... lol.

Who told you Akintola was hated? There were people who supported Awolowo and there were people who supported Akintola
So just like we have Tinubu and Aregbesola leading SW APC and say Jimi Agbaje or Fayose in SW PDP
no one asked Ibos to come and kill our premier, kill the Norther premier and spare the 2 Ibo premiers

So when are Ibos going to apologize for that? The killing of Akintola led by Nwobosi

When are Ibos going to apologize for attacking Ore and bombing Yorubaland

Akintola is remembered well in the west, Many roads are named after him even a University is named after him

5 Likes

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 1:05am On Aug 24, 2018
raumdeuter:

Who told you Akintola was hated? There were people who supported Awolowo and there were people who supported Akintola
So just like we have Tinubu and Aregbesola leading SW APC and say Jimi Agbaje or Fayose in SW PDP
no one asked Ibos to come and kill our premier, kill the Norther premier and spare the 2 Ibo premiers

So when are Ibos going to apologize for that? The killing of Akintola led by Nwobosi

Akintola is remembered well in the west, Many roads are named after him even a University is named after him
So your retaliation for "Igbos" killing your premier was to cowardly backstab them and recommending starving their civilian population.

Awolowo was evil...

I should not be teaching you your history....
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by Shukuakukobambi: 1:07am On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:
So your retaliation for "Igbos" killing your premier was to cowardly backstab them and recommending starving their civilian population.

Awolowo was evil...

Stop pushing this line. Igbo soldiers and leaders hoarded the food and supplies from aid agencies. Prof Okey Ndibe wrote that his own father was jailed for several weeks because he dared speak up against the evil leaders of biafra. They starved their own people. not Awolowo

Also, care to expatiate on how we back-stabbed the igbos?

1 Like

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by raumdeuter: 1:10am On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:

Awolowo was evil...

Cowardly backstab? What does that mean? Its only brain-dead people that expects an opponent to feed them during war, Was Hitler expecting Stalin or Churchill to send him food for the civilian population during the world war?

Like Adekunle asked a German journalist Stern

ADEKUNLE: Let me tell you something: When the Russians surrounded Stalingrad did you request a land corridor from them so as to better feed your soldiers who were stuck in the pot there? Of course you didn’t and I can tell from your face that you think the thought of a land corridor to bring in food for the captured German soldiers in Stalingrad is a bad joke. Me too. Where and when, …………., was there a war in which the loser was re-nourished one more time before the final loss? Why are you just calling for a land corridor for Biafra? Why aren’t you calling for a land corridor for the Viet Kong?

Our retaliation for killing a civilian like Akintola was for his townsman Benjamin Adekunle who saw Akintola as an uncle to enter into Iboland and lay waste millions of lives, for 1 Akintola he wasted 1million

1 Like

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 1:26am On Aug 24, 2018
raumdeuter:

Cowardly backstab? What does that mean? Its only brain-dead people that expects an opponent to feed them during war, Was Hitler expecting Stalin or Churchill to send him food for the civilian population during the world war?

Like Adekunle asked a German journalist Stern

ADEKUNLE: Let me tell you something: When the Russians surrounded Stalingrad did you request a land corridor from them so as to better feed your soldiers who were stuck in the pot there? Of course you didn’t and I can tell from your face that you think the thought of a land corridor to bring in food for the captured German soldiers in Stalingrad is a bad joke. Me too. Where and when, …………., was there a war in which the loser was re-nourished one more time before the final loss? Why are you just calling for a land corridor for Biafra? Why aren’t you calling for a land corridor for the Viet Kong?

Our retaliation for killing a civilian like Akintola was for his townsman Benjamin Adekunle who saw Akintola as an uncle to enter into Iboland and lay waste millions of lives, for 1 Akintola he wasted 1million
A certain people known for their cerebrated cowardice were busy shooting civilians and earning the praise of their equally cowardly kinsmen as war heroes.

Biafra withstood the combined armies of Great Britain, Russia, Egypt and Nigeria for 30 months.

Other cowardly people would have been wiped off the face of the earth if they had faced a third of the adversaries faced by gallant Biafra .
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 1:39am On Aug 24, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

Stop pushing this line. Igbo soldiers and leaders hoarded the food and supplies from aid agencies. Prof Okey Ndibe wrote that his own father was jailed for several weeks because he dared speak up against the evil leaders of biafra. They starved their own people. not Awolowo

Also, care to expatiate on how we back-stabbed the igbos?

You are trying to dredge up mendacious narratives in a futile attempt to deflect from what was patently reprehensible.

Awolowo saw the Igbos as an existential threat.

He lost in peace time at standard conditions but stealthily capitalized on an inauspicious moment to hoist himself to relevance.

What manner of man could unabashedly dorn an Ahithophelian toga over the bones of millions of dying civilians?

Whilst the rest of humanity shuddered, one man was keen to trade his humanity for ephemeral graces of an exalted position.

Completely condemnable among all men of honour...
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by Shukuakukobambi: 1:45am On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:
You are trying to dredge up mendacious narratives in a futile attempt to deflect from what was patently reprehensible.

Awolowo saw the Igbos as an existential threat.

He lost in peace time at standard conditions but stealthily capitalized on an inauspicious moment to hoist himself to relevance.

What manner of man could unabashedly dorn an Ahithophelian toga over the bones of millions of dying civilians?

Whilst the rest of humanity shuddered, one man was keen to trade his humanity for ephemeral graces of an exalted position.

Completely condemnable among all men of honour...

You can keep on laying the blame for every problem in igbo land at Awolowo's feet, it's your call. Read the words of Prof Okey Ndibe, an Igbo man who witnessed biafra from inside

"Some unscrupulous officers of the beleaguered Biafra diverted food to their homes. Bags of rice, beans and other foods, marked with a donor agency’s insignia, were not uncommon in markets. The betrayal pained my father. He railed by signing and distributing a petition against the Biafran officials who hoarded relief food or sold it for profit.

The petition drew the ire of the censured officials; the signatories were categorized as saboteurs. To be tagged a saboteur in Biafra was to be branded with a capital crime. A roundup was ordered. One afternoon, some grave-looking men arrived at our home. They snooped all over the house. They turned things over. They pulled out papers and pored over them, brows crinkled half in consternation, half in concentration. As they ransacked the house, they kept my father closely in view. Then they took him away.

Father was detained for several weeks. I don’t remember that our mother ever explained his absence. It was as if my father had died. And yet, since his disappearance was unspoken, it was as if he hadn’t."

Igbo soldiers and leaders starved Igbo civilians

4 Likes

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 2:02am On Aug 24, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

You can keep on laying the blame for every problem in igbo land at Awolowo's feet, it's your call. Read the words of Prof Okey Ndibe, an Igbo man who witnessed biafra from inside

"Some unscrupulous officers of the beleaguered Biafra diverted food to their homes. Bags of rice, beans and other foods, marked with a donor agency’s insignia, were not uncommon in markets. The betrayal pained my father. He railed by signing and distributing a petition against the Biafran officials who hoarded relief food or sold it for profit.

The petition drew the ire of the censured officials; the signatories were categorized as saboteurs. To be tagged a saboteur in Biafra was to be branded with a capital crime. A roundup was ordered. One afternoon, some grave-looking men arrived at our home. They snooped all over the house. They turned things over. They pulled out papers and pored over them, brows crinkled half in consternation, half in concentration. As they ransacked the house, they kept my father closely in view. Then they took him away.

Father was detained for several weeks. I don’t remember that our mother ever explained his absence. It was as if my father had died. And yet, since his disappearance was unspoken, it was as if he hadn’t."

Igbo soldiers and leaders starved Igbo civilians
The hypothesis you are trying so hard to push up lacks coherence and credulity.

Fictional materials/literature about the war are legion.

What however is incontestable is that the suggestion/recommendation to blockade Biafra and starve her civilian population was exclusively Awolowo's brainchild.
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by ObaIgwe1: 1:18pm On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:

What however is incontestable is that the suggestion/recommendation to blockade Biafra and starve her civilian population was exclusively Awolowo's brainchild.

I honestly cant get myself round this your argument. If anyone is to be blamed for the starvation it should be Ojukwu who went to war expecting food to always come from the side of the people he was killing and bombing.

For God's sake we are talking about war not some wrestling or boxing competition. I am sure you have heard the saying "all is fair in war", war is evil in itself and everyone will do everything to win it. In war no one is guilty of murder.

Ojukwu should have found a way to feed his people without depending on the people he was killing...failure to do that means the war was not well thought off before he embarked on it.

I am CERTAIN Ojukwu would have done same if the he was on the flip side, so stop blaming Awolowo for bringing the idea that ended the war quicker... Hunger is bad, but it doesn't kill faster like guns and bomb, the hunger made Igbos weak and quickly surrender and in the process saved many needless lives that would have ate and died by guns and bombs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 1:58pm On Aug 24, 2018
ObaIgwe1:

I honestly cant get myself round this your argument. If anyone is to be blamed for the starvation it should be Ojukwu who went to war expecting food to always come from the side of the people he was killing and bombing.

For God's sake we are talking about war not some wrestling or boxing competition. I am sure you have heard the saying "all is fair in war", war is evil in itself and everyone will do everything to win it. In war no one is guilty of murder.

Ojukwu should have found a way to feed his people without depending on the people he was killing...failure to do that means the war was not well thought off before he embarked on it.

I am CERTAIN Ojukwu would have done same if the he was on the flip side, so stop blaming Awolowo for bringing the idea that ended the war quicker... Hunger is bad, but it doesn't kill faster like guns and bomb, the hunger made Igbos weak and quickly surrender and in the process saved many needless lives that would have ate and died by guns and bombs.
Your logic is seriously flawed...more like the product of supercilious intellect.

There is such thing called war crimes and war conventions.

Why are the world powers not deployed nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, since in your inverted logic, every method in the book should be applied to procure victory?

As sinister as Nazi Germany was, the Allied achieved a moral victory in not apply underhand, punitive, reprisal and devious measures on a collapsing Germany.

As far as Awolowo was concerned, the Igbos needed to be eternally emasculated to eliminate their headstart/advantages in the national ordering of things. He never forgave Azikiwe for getting a one up on him in the national power equation.

To demonstrate that he was intent on ratcheting up his infamy to an unsurpassable level, it was still the same man that championed the 20 pound sterling rule.

What exactly are you defending?
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by LadyExcellency: 2:33pm On Aug 24, 2018
senatordave1:

buhari till 2023.never again must pdp rule

Buhari again? The income and expenditure President.

Buhari has no policy, no regulation, executive fait on economy, no economic reform, no serious security protocol as per ministry of interior and nothing spectacular to add to governance and yet you want him to hit the final nail to Nigeria's casket

1 Like

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by Tinlar: 2:41pm On Aug 24, 2018
[quote author=Rilwayne001 post=70532210]Professor Yemi Osinbajo
Babatunde Raji Fashola
Bola Ahmed . The best bet for Igbo president is 2027 ; because in all calculation they prepared for 2027 ,check the two popular party. Its will be difficult for APC to entruste party to south east after buhari, likely one of your mentioned from south west. If PDP win 2019 .its sure they will have their turn, after any PDP candidate after 8years.j
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by ObaIgwe1: 4:19pm On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:
Your logic is seriously flawed...more like the product of supercilious intellect.

There is such thing called war crimes and war conventions.

Why are the world powers not deployed nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, since in your inverted logic, every method in the book should be applied to procure victory?

As sinister as Nazi Germany was, the Allied achieved a moral victory in not apply underhand, punitive, reprisal and devious measures on a collapsing Germany.

As far as Awolowo was concerned, the Igbos needed to be eternally emasculated to eliminate their headstart/advantages in the national ordering of things. He never forgave Azikiwe for getting a one up on him in the national power equation.

To demonstrate that he was intent on ratcheting up his infamy to an unsurpassable level, it was still the same man that championed the 20 pound sterling rule.

What exactly are you defending?

lol dont be naive... if the world powers will never use those weapons why are they keeping them? Bro if push comes to shove they will use them and justify their use and no one will be accused of any war crime. How many were jailed for the ones used in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

3 Likes

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 4:32pm On Aug 24, 2018
ObaIgwe1:

lol dont be naive... if the world powers will never use those weapons why are they keeping them? Bro if push comes to shove they will use them and justify their use and no one will be accused of any war crime. How many were jailed for the ones used in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
You are not adding up.

You asserted that wars could be fought using any measure and when your viewpoint was refuted you went off at a tangent.

The detonation of the atomic bomb at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a one-off event for which America attracted global condemnation.

Ever since there have been international conventions regulating conduct in wartime.

You are doing a amateurish job trying to defend the indefensible...
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 24, 2018
senatordave1:
Between governor okorocha,senator ken nnamani,dr ogbonnaya onu,dr orji kalu and senator chris ngige,who has the biggest chance of being president im 2023 if it is zoned to the south east? Personally,i will prefer dr ogbonnaya onu but i know okorocha and ouk will likely get it.

tiffnubu
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 24, 2018
raumdeuter:

The January 1966 coup was a true Nigerian gathering.
Igbo.
Hausa.
Yoruba.
Came together to execute a coup
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by kennypoju04: 5:13pm On Aug 24, 2018
LadyExcellency:
Just come to read comments from Southwesterners.

There is nothing like Southern Nigeria, we may have Northern Nigeria but not South. It's either East or West.

The North will support Nigerian presidency of Igbo extraction but majority of southwesterns will either stay home or vote a fringe candidate if the two major parties were to field candidate from Southeast

Dillusional ,the presidency is going to the west in 2023

That's my 2 cent..

Politically the Igbo's are not yet ready or showing sign that they are matured politically..

If it goes to the south,which of the candidate in the east can compare with any candidate from the west...

Get your rmb check our siggy

1 Like

Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by Shukuakukobambi: 6:37pm On Aug 24, 2018
maestroferddi:

You call the experiences of Prof Okey Ndibe a work of fiction? So whose tale should i believe? yours? cheesy

Like i said, you can continue to blame Awolowo for the unpreparedness of your war mongers and even after aid agencies came with supplies to mitigate their gross incompetence, the wicked souls still cornered the supplies with no thought for the hapless citizens they led into conflict. We all know why they did that anyway; gratify their own cravings and use the kwarshiorkor afflicted children as a blackmailing tool.

Anyway, i'm happy you've not tagged Prof Okey Ndibe a Yoruba man or an operative of the Lagos-Ibadan press yet wink
Re: Who Among These Men Is Likely To Take Over From Buhari In 2023? by maestroferddi: 7:04pm On Aug 24, 2018
Shukuakukobambi:

You call the experiences of Prof Okey Ndibe a work of fiction? So whose tale should i believe? yours? cheesy

Like i said, you can continue to blame Awolowo for the unpreparedness of your war mongers and even after aid agencies came with supplies to mitigate their gross incompetence, the wicked souls still cornered the supplies with no thought for the hapless citizens they led into conflict. We all know why they did that anyway; gratify their own cravings and use the kwarshiorkor afflicted children as a blackmailing tool.

Anyway, i'm happy you've not tagged Prof Okey Ndibe a Yoruba man or an operative of the Lagos-Ibadan press yet wink
Do some critical thinking na....

Your Prof Ndibe of a character had an axe to grind with his kinsmen over the disappearance of his father. That shouldnt be difficult to connect.

Besides his account is merely anodyne/anecdotal. It was not underpinned by a disinterested corroboration.

In any case, nobody was saying that Biafra operated as a perfect system.

But in all probability, it was a highly fair and equitable representative government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Only Igbo Soldiers Were Sent To Fight Boko Haram. / Usman Mohammed Is Labour Party Presidential Candidate / Distributions of wealth In states in Nigeria 2020 NBS (photos )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.