Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,190 members, 7,829,261 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

The Root Of A Cynosure - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Root Of A Cynosure (33487 Views)

Game Killer No Root Apk / Revisiting The Root Series #3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by MAB84: 11:36am On Oct 31, 2018
[quote author=excelmerry post=72541540]Imagine Gogo Hadiza go oyibo land go baff pikin, come dey wind pikin leg.. chai[/qfuote]

Typical African ���
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by amodua: 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2018
nothing ooo?? good morning and afternoon
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by khaifa(f): 1:23pm On Oct 31, 2018
SokoDobo, thanks for the very wonderful and intriguing update!!
I know Damon will come out strong but they need to up their game oooh!
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 9:54pm On Oct 31, 2018

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by Niwdog(m): 10:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
God pls bless me with a friend like Fahad of this story
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by Ann2012(f): 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2018
I'm loving this grin
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by Princesstee(f): 9:31am On Nov 01, 2018
Please @Sokodobo, will you finish this story?
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 10:39am On Nov 01, 2018
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 10:40am On Nov 01, 2018
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 10:46am On Nov 01, 2018
Niwdog:
God pls bless me with a friend like Fahad of this story

Lol. And a wife like Alicia?
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 10:48am On Nov 01, 2018
Princesstee:
Please @Sokodobo, will you finish this story?

Sure. The story is coming to an end
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by MhizFavour: 1:23pm On Nov 01, 2018
Phew... Its been a while. Lemme goan read
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by Ann2012(f): 4:11pm On Nov 01, 2018
OMG..... cry

OP, pls let Damon be freed soon
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 9:02am On Nov 02, 2018

2 Likes

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 9:15am On Nov 02, 2018

6 Likes

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by michael123pelemo(m): 10:10am On Nov 02, 2018
Brother update sharp-sharp!!!!
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by sampz: 11:04am On Nov 02, 2018
come see war film we die here
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by amodua: 11:08am On Nov 02, 2018
thanks for the update sokodobo.God bless the mail work of your hand. more ink to your pen, note inspiration to your brain.
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by MhizFavour: 11:10am On Nov 02, 2018
And now, i am yearning for more

1 Like

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by Ann2012(f): 12:58pm On Nov 02, 2018
Too much twists and suspense

Thanks for the update
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by khaifa(f): 2:34pm On Nov 02, 2018
Oh my!
See twist sha!
Thanks for updating...
Keep it coming......
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by Evold: 9:04pm On Nov 02, 2018
I wish you could complete this one. I hated my self for reading the other two
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by MAB84: 3:18am On Nov 03, 2018
Evold:
I wish you could complete this one. I hated my self for reading the other two

We will give you a link where you can read our complete books for free. You will read both for free but not on this platform.

1 Like

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 8:41am On Nov 03, 2018
THIRTY-ONE

Pliers was Simon’s uncle? They used him to steal from him? Just when Damon thought he knew everything, the mysteries kept unveiling. It was also shocking to find out Dr Max and his wife were murdered by Alex and it was his father that was sent to do it.

“ Thank you. What happened next?” Said Lockhart.

“ I was trailing the young couple because me was see their pictures in Nigeria. Then I have realized it was a hoax, it was no National assignment and they want me dead coz I got to know and I got them thumbprints. I narrowly escaped them hit men. Me was a sniper in the military so I took ‘em killers down. So when me see ‘em with the gas boy, I knew it was bad. I follow him and he goes to my uncle.

Them drink and I follow them home. Me was go in and attack him. I talked to him and he was squeal. He tell me he was sent to kill ma uncle so I kill him. And ma uncle say they would come after him. Then I know I have been helping them devils. They got things to destroy the world.

So he tell me to cut the dead motherfuck**’s thumb and I get him buried. My uncle tell me to cut his thumb and it was hard but he say if I don’t, he was gonna die. So, I cut ‘em. And he remain dead since then, living in the basement. Only me, and my cousin sisters knew.

But I never knew the fuckin* Professor Alex was that shitty woman who was doing me hocus-pocus. Then me was hear of money stolen by Richard and his dame. Damn! That was a lot of dough, dudes.”

Dudes? In court?

Shocking! Pliers had told Damon all of these but never he mentioned Simon. He told him that he killed the man himself and cut off his thumb.

“ So, I go to General Rudolph and try to explain but it was a big gang. Them try to kill me so I scam. And me was leave my family and go. Don’t want to get ‘em in my mess. I was messed up and my wife was too good for me. I leave so she could move on but…she waited. So, sometimes, I pop up secretly and leave again.

Then me was hear that Richard and Maria was dead. I never knew my boy was gonna be the man to unravel the mystery. I am shocked when I hear that old bitch was Alex and the fucking Grants is Richard and Maria. Them are bad!”

Jerry wiped his face with a hanky.

He got on his feet, wearing a smile.

“ Interesting Story.” He said, “ You just told us you were doing drugs, and stealing. So. lies won’t be a big deal because your tale do not add up. Do you have any evidence that a woman contracted you to steal for her?”

“No.”

“ Do you have any evidence that that woman is Professor Alex?”

“ No.”

“ Professor Alex died in 1972 or thereabout. I am not very sure. And Professor Pliers died in 1997, am I right. What prove do you have to substantiate your claims?”

“ I still gah the documents with me. I got their thumbprints.”

“ Documents that show that they asked you to go kill who? Dr Maxwell?”

“ Yes. It was a document ordering me to go and kill them?”

“ When did the military start signing contract forms to issue orders?”

“ That can only be judged when the document is put under microscope.”

Laughter.

Damon became jittery afraid. He hoped this case was not going to be compromised. These men were powerful, it was like a cabal, a clique that ruled the world.

The issue of lack of evidence began to bother him.

“ If you don’t have evidence to substantiate these claim, then there is trouble. Damages could be claimed.”

“ What the fuc* is wrong with ya? Get these these murderfuc**s into a room and see if Mrs Grant aint got a ……..”

“ Mr Simon.” The judge cut in. “ You mean to say she has a male sex organ and he has a female sex organ?”

“ Yes, Mr Lord .”

“It’s My lord.”

Laughter.

Lockhart came up.

“ Thank you for the revelations. It takes someone with guts to say these things, some which are incriminating but he did it for justice, and family values. He is not as irresponsible as you claim. He left his family for their own good, he left the military because he was a target, and now that his family needs him, he came on his own.

The documents and devices he stole from his uncle were used to make some of the most virulent weapons used by terrorists, and cause of man-made disasters. The chip that was the most important device used in causing earthquakes, was stolen from Professor pliers and used by Professor Alex and his son.”

“ This is a ridiculous allegation and we may take decisive legal action if you don’t prove this.” Jerry argued.

“ My lord, may I invite the next witness?”

Granted.

And the next witness that came up got everyone shocked. Damon could hardly believe his eyes as he saw him walk groggily to the witness box. The shock on Richard’s face was palpable. The court was filled with surprised this day.

“ May we know your name, sir?”

“ My name is Professor Pliers…”

He was not allowed to finish when the court became filled with reactions, exclamations and shock. This was the man behind the great heist story that made headlines years ago. The man believed to have been dead, and even when Damon and Simon talked about him been alive, not everyone took it serious.

The judge tried to make his face expressionless but that was difficult. Here was professor Pliers, live.

“ I must confess, Professor, I am personally elated and intrigued to meet you.” Lockhart said, “ and thank you for coming. Do you feel comfortable standing? You look tired.”

“ I cannot stand for long but I will seek for succour when pertinent.”

“ Okay, Professor. The world believed you were murdered so many years ago, and today we find you with us, that is quite interesting. How did it happen?”

“ I completely concur with Simon’s account of the events even though sometimes I find it difficult to comprehend some of his words.”

Laughter.

“ Professor Alex was the first head of the research team and later thought to have died. It was a long time sinister plan, a clandestine calisthenics to create a pernicious, gargantuan beast to devour our fragile peace and resort to barbaric and immoral means of acquiring wealth and power. I think my account may be a repetition of the details provided by Damon.
They discovered that I was alive about a year and some months ago. This is because Damon, a sagacious and intelligent young man, whom I never knew was my crazy nephew’s son, discovered me after over twenty years in the basement.
And from what we discussed, it was obvious that the recent earthquakes were man-made and a means of making billions dollars every year by one family. It was my project for the government but used wrongly. I knew only one person could bring it to live and that was my former colleague, Professor Alex. When he told me about his discoveries, I knew Alex was alive and he was hiding as Mrs Something.
I taught Damon how to find and dismantle the chip, so the world could be safe. The young man and his friends risked their lives and dismantled the chip and destroyed it. That is why we don’t hear of the eathquakes anymore.”

Richard had not expected this. Damon never mentioned this part. He gave Damon a sharp glance, and Damon saw hatred, surprise and pain in those vicious eyes.

“ They saved the world. Alex knew I was the only one who could dismantle this. So, if I did not do it personally, then I must be alive and sent someone. Alex has always been very smart and thought way beyond us. He had an incredible foresight. So, they came for me. I had been expecting them for more than twenty years.

He wanted me alive to make another chip and then get the formula then probably kill me so I used my escape route which my nephew, a trained military boy had helped me built. And the plan was if I could not escape, then it was better I died than make them get me alive. I
put the house on fire and used my escape route. My nephew took me away and now, we are here to fight it .”

“ Thank you, Professor.”

When Jerry came up, Damon saw a mean expression on him.

“ Why are you so confident that only one person can put your chip to live? No monopoly of knowledge. There could be thousands of scientists out there that can do it, have you thought of that?” Jerry said, standing before the old fragile man.

“ Name one person you know that can do it.” Pliers reposted.

“ What?”

The question took jerry by surprise and the audience laughed.

“ I may not point at one but we want you to give evidence to back up your claims.”

“ The evidence that Professor Alex is Mr Grant’s mother lies with him. Check him, his DNA, his thumbprint and compare. I do not have to be a law expert to know how to do that. “

“ Why did you not report this? You knew a huge amount of money was been stolen from the government, under your auspices, and you aided and abated them by sacrificing your thumb ,your nephew put the law into his hands, killed a man, buried him then covered up by claiming you were the dead person, misleading the cops and everyone.”

“ Objection my lord.” Lockhart remonstrated but the judge let Jerry continued.

“ I did not report because my life was in danger.”

“ The law could have protected you.”

“ How many people have died under the nose of the law? How was Oswald killed? The man who was alleged to have killed JFK. How was JFK himself killed? Under the nose of the law, an American President was killed in broad daylight in the streets with thousands of people watching. I was not sure the law could protect me from these dangerous people. So, I never left my basement for over twenty years.”

“ So, you gave them your thumb willingly so they could steal the money?”

“ I did. I was scared of my life.”

“ Are you aware that by law, you are part of the heist, If your claims are true?”

“ I am not aware of that. I was protecting my life.”

“ You sacrificed your thumb to help them steal the fund under your custody, according to you, killed and buried a man to cover up, then decided to remain in your basement until now. And you come out to lay serious allegations on a family that have been helping the nation, citizens and the globe at large while you were in your basement without any prove.”

Jerry was a good lawyer, he knew how to make a way out of tight corners. He was trying to twist the situation and he seemed to be making progress.

“ I said he was sent to kill me and my nephew killed him in defense.”

“ You put the law into your hands if your claim of being tried to be murdered is true. How do we believe you were not in cahoots with the late Richard and his wife, stole the money by giving your thumb which was the key to getting the money?”

He was putting Pliers in a tight corner.

“ Richard and His wife are still alive and right now, they are in this courtroom listening to every word we speak.”

Jerry chuckled.

“ I understand that you have been secluded from the conventional world for a long time and you have aged.”

“ I am not senile.”

“ I am not saying you are senile. I am just making factual statements. The last time I checked, the Richard Cliff and Maria Hudson case was shut because the alleged couple were found dead in a hotel room in Vegas.”

“ What does it cost to check our claims?”

“ Because you don’t just point at someone and say he is a man when people think he is a woman and it becomes an offence. They have the right to cross-dress, or change their gender. You don’t have to commit a crime to change your gender, so dwelling on their sex is irrelevant. We know Mrs Grant is a woman and it does not matter if she was born a man.”

Lockhart was allowed to talk.

“ Transgender is not a crime. I concur with my learned colleague. No one is after Caitlyn Jenner, but we are talking about change of identity after committing a big crime. We are not concerned about the sex alone, we want to know if they are the couple said to be dead and found in Vegas.”

“ How do we do that?” Jerry went on, “ There was no record of the couple. Nothing was known about them. If you get Mrs Grant’s DNA, how do you compare when we don’t know Richard’s DNA?”

Richard seemed to getting more relaxed.

“ We know where we can find their records. We know why there was a vacuum. They were taken to Nigeria to grow. We have evidence that they grew there and Maria or Mr Grant is Doctor Maxwell’s daughter. They had travelled in and out of Nigeria many times and the records are there. They never died in Vegas. They invited a young African couple, his childhood friend, and got them killed, made sure they were burnt beyond recognition making everyone believe it was them. And this was done in cahoots with the hotel manager who was later killed to obliterate evidence.”

“ My learned colleague, you are an advocate who has won my respect over the years but I am astonished that you could buy the cheap lies sold to you. Richard and Maria were murdered and the killer, Peppe confessed to the crime. They were booked into that room, and stayed there with evidence to substantiate this. They died.”

“ They never died just like Professor Alex never died. Professor Alex’s claimed bones can be exhumed and his DNA tested. We have a record of him.” Lockhart said,

“ Then we get Mrs Grant’s DNA. I am very sure we would discover that he is his father. Then we get the so-called Mrs Dorothy Grant’s DNA, we would also find out that she is Professor Alex.”

Bingo! I loved that punch by Lockhart.

“ I don’t think that is pertinent. We are here because of an appeal over the sentence of the convicted criminal who murdered Mr Steve Barcovy in cold blood.”

“ And it was established that it was a set-up. The witnesses are allegedly guilty of perjury.”

“ It does not change the fact that the convict confessed to killing Mr Steve.”

“ He shot him in self-defence and they know this so they tried to distort justice by bribery and perjury.”

“ Then we should dwell on that rather than derail from the reason of being here.”

“ Everything revolves around what we are talking about. Mr Damon and his wife were forced to live there because of the earthquake they narrowly escaped, the earthquake caused by the Grants, so their company can make billions while the caboodle are expendable, subjecting nations to slavery, extorting money at the cost of people’s lives.

They tried to impose Steve on a married woman, claiming Steve was her boyfriend even when they knew she was married, because Damon is perceived as not having the requisite factors to carry on with the family wealth and secrets. Steve was a better candidate, one trained to collect the baton, so the pedigree continues.”

“ We will have to sue if such allegations go on without claims. Though that decision is not mine but I may recommend it to the victims. This is a court of law, where facts and figures are used to back up claims.”

“ I need you both to calm down.” The judge said,

“ Barrister,” he referred to Lockhart, “ I am afraid you are making serious allegations not backed up by facts. and I believe the main point’s have been made.”

“ My lord, I want to back my claim that the Grants are behind the earthquakes, sent some thugs to get Professor Pliers, know Mr Simon who is also known as Stone, and a lot more. This will enable the law to sweep into action and investigate the allegations. The case may have been a mystery, believed to have been solved and shut but it will be to the nation a blessing that the real story is unveiled, courtesy of this young man, and his friends, and the diligent detective.”

“ Let us have it then.” Said the judge.
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 8:42am On Nov 03, 2018

3 Likes

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by amodua: 9:18am On Nov 03, 2018
thanks for the update sokodobo.
thank you oooooo
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by Ann2012(f): 10:56am On Nov 03, 2018
Now this is something else

Thanks for the update OP
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by Evold: 11:26am On Nov 03, 2018
Thanks for the update. Waiting for the link
Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by MAB84: 2:19pm On Nov 03, 2018
Evold:
Thanks for the update. Waiting for the link

We promised to give you a link where you can read our complete books for free. First, you will follow marmoodarlee on Wattpad by clicking on the link below.
https://www.wattpad.com/user/marmoodarlee
On his profile,in the ABOUT section, there is a link that takes you to Inkitt where you will find our books. We have a new book titled MY TRUST IS FOR SALE. You will find it there. If you want to read the full version of BENEATH MY HEART, THE LAST INSURGENT and MARRIED TO A FINK for free, then follow us there. If you can download the Inkitt App, then you will read our books for free and we have so many books for your delight. We will be posting the following books soon: LAST BREATH, LETTER TO MY FATHER, YOU WON’T LIVE TO TELL AND THE LAST CHILD OF THE DEVIL. It’s free but you need the APP. THANK YOU.
For detailed instructions on how to find our stories on Inkitt, go to Chapter 6 of MY TRUST IS FOR SALE on wattpad and see how easy it is done.

1 Like

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 5:48pm On Nov 03, 2018

2 Likes

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by SokoDobo: 5:55pm On Nov 03, 2018
EPILOGUE

They sat at the bank of the ocean, looking at the vast body of water which stretched endlessly to meet the sky by the horizon. The waves splashed water droplets on Damon , the wind and water felt so nice. The world was beautiful.

“ My teacher said water is colourless.” Damon Jnr. who came beside him said, looking at the water.

“ That is correct.” Damon replied.

“ Then why is it blue?” He asked.

Damn! Damon did not know why and he never bothered to find out. He was not a science person though. Fahad chuckled, knowing he was in a fix.

“ Tell us, dad.” Simon Jnr. joined. They were now six years old but looked like they were eight.

“ When white light from the sun enters the ocean, it is mostly the blue that gets returned. “ Halima said, and Damon remembered that she was a science student in her final year in the college. She was a medical doctor in the making. “The ocean looks blue because red, orange and yellow which are long wavelength are absorbed more strongly by the water than is blue which is short wavelength light. And that is the same reason the sky is blue. The key reason is, it is the blue that is returned while others are absorbed.”

Damon kept nodding his head like it was what he was about to say.

“ But you said, white light comes from the sun, then where does the blue, red and the rest colour come from?” Damon Jnr. fired again.

Phew! Thanks Halima was here.

“ You may not understand the details at this stage but the white light we see from the sun is not actually white. When you grow up and do physics, optics to be precised, you shall be taught this. The white light from the sun is a mixture of different colours which when separated, we see as rainbow. A prism can also help separate this colours. They are separated because each colour has a different wavelength.”

“ Sure.” Damon said with a nod, “ the wavelength varies.

“ Dad let her speak. I don’t think you know this.” Simon Jnr. said.

Alicia and Fahad burst into laughter.

“ Dad did not do sciences.” Alicia said.

“ Please go on” Damon Jnr. said with all seriousness.

“ The colours of the sun are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet…”

“ The colours of rainbow!” Simon Jnr. said excitedly.

“ Yes.” Damon said then quickly kept quiet before they shut him up.

“ Is it true that the sun is bigger than the earth?” Ummy asked. She was now five years old.

Damon knew that because he did some geography so he could not let the chance pass him by.

“ Good question Ummy.” He said before Halima could take the shine. “ The sun is bigger than the earth. It is about three hundred and sixty thousand times bigger.”

“ Wao! Tabdi jam!” She exclaimed and they laughed. That was an exclamation she heard from her mother who made sure she taught her fulfude.

“ You mean you need like three hundred and sixty American accent.

“ Yes Ummy.”

“ I love sciences.” She said

“ I want to do sciences when I grow up.” Simon Jnr. said.

“ Why didn’t you do sciences?” Damon Jnr. asked Damon.

“ We all can’t do sciences. The world needs to be balanced. We need bankers, lawyers, accountants, linguists, historians, mass communicators, economists, political scientists, etcetera. If everyone does science, then who would do the rest?”

“ I did not do science because I hated mathematics.” Alicia confessed. “ always looking for x and y. What the heck did those two do that they are always wanted?”

They all laughed.

“ Like I once heard a stand-up comedian say back in Nigeria,” Fahad began, “he said he was given a question like 2x plus y is equal to 20, find x and he looked at the teacher astonishingly and said what a question. He pointed at the x and said that is x”

They laughed hysterically.

“ Hey, get back here.” Halima said and got up to go after Yasir, their three year old son and Rene, Alicia’s two year old daughter. They playing with the sand but moving closer to the beach alone seemed dangerous.

This was them, about five years after the saga. Simon served one year and was given a presidential pardon for his gallantry and saving of lives. Though the president never openly admitted it, he knew Damon was instrumental to his ascension to power because he caused the fall of the most successful candidate then.

Simon and Veronica now lived in Philadelphia.

Maria survived the gunshot but later died in prison two years later. Alex committed suicide while in detention. Richard is still serving a life sentence.

Pliers passed away three years later after completing his dream project. Kim served her three years only to meet her mother bankrupt. Her backbones in the fraudulent bank business were the Grants and since they were no more, she could not handle it. Kim works in a departmental store as a sales representative.

Matt was honoured and that incidence made them heroes. Detective Jack was reproached for his actions but later forgiven and promoted. He and Damon remain as friends.

Damon is not a billionaire but he could be said to be rich. He could afford a mansion, and a few millions in his account. He got Alicia a small cosmetics factory while he also went into fashion business in collaboration with her. They are not Fahad-rich , but what more could we ask for?

They had peace.

Damn!

It was one hell of a ride. They went through a lot and at a point, he believed they were not destined to be happy but they pulled through. That is the their little story. It all started from that tent while it rained and the journey to find the root of a cynosure began. Now the cynosure is his wife.

THE END

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Root Of A Cynosure by giftAlone(m): 6:37pm On Nov 03, 2018
talented u'r d boss. tanks for dis epic story

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Who Has An Idea What This Is About? / Above The Shadows / Chimamanda Adichie And Oprah Winfrey Meet In London (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.