Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,337 members, 7,860,828 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:59 PM

2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki (45118 Views)

“Why I Visited Atiku, Saraki, Lamido" - Peter Obi / Secondus, PDP Chieftains Dump Atiku, Wike, Declare Support For Tinubu / I Was Offered N150m, N80m Car To Dump Atiku – Naziru Ahmad (Sarkin Waka) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Ugosample(m): 1:17pm On Sep 02, 2018
Eponyeeboz:

Who wants to pick it in the SE? Rochas that you hate or Ngige that you loathe?

Tickets aren't given, they are fought for and won. If you don't align, build bridges and promote your interest, you'll keep crying without results.

What I want is good governance for my country

The president being from my region or not does not matter

The masses stukk suffer

1 Like

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Eponyeeboz: 1:26pm On Sep 02, 2018
onatisi:
[s]The battle for 2019 presidential seat will be won and determined by the south south and south east[/s] and it seems APC has realized this and they are trying to woo many core pdp members from that regions ,this is something pdp must look critically at and they must not take the support of those regions for granted,if the current defections of pdp members in those regions to APC is anything to go by then pdp really needs to be worried

Go and ask GEJ what's up. His advisers told him the same thing you're saying but he's presently regretting.

However, I agree that no region be taken for granted but the PDP obviously doesn't give a hoot about the south east. I don't blame pdp though, Igbos have sold themselves cheaply to PDP.

1 Like

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Eponyeeboz: 1:33pm On Sep 02, 2018
Ugosample:

What I want is good governance for my country

The president being from my region or not does not matter
L

The masses stukk suffer

If you want good governance, elect good leaders not miscreants like TA Orji and Ikpeazu.

You can't elect devils and expect them to build heaven.

1 Like

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by deomelo: 1:39pm On Sep 02, 2018
No surprise here, I don't see any form of electoral value in both men state wide or National.

Both men will of course throw money here and there to buy influence and alter political narratives, but at the end of the day, they can not deliver even their own states

1 Like

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by onatisi(m): 1:46pm On Sep 02, 2018
Eponyeeboz:

Go and ask GEJ what's up. His advisers told him the same thing you're saying but he's presently regretting.

However, I agree that no region be taken for granted but the PDP obviously doesn't give a hoot about the south east. I don't blame pdp though, Igbos have sold themselves cheaply to PDP.
The 2015 presidential election was determined by the south west ,the north gave a bloc vote to APC and south south plus south east gave theirs to pdp,it was the south west that determined the winner ,in 2019 it will be south south and south east,. If defections from pdp to APC continues in those regions then buhari will win

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Basseybruce: 1:47pm On Sep 02, 2018
Adeevah:
BREAKING NEWS! 2019: Bukola Saraki picks Dink Melaye as his running mate
Like for APC Share for PDP
Dapada, kole work....
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by onatisi(m): 1:48pm On Sep 02, 2018
Pdp cannot give saraki the ticket because he is not a core northerner,atiku has too many internal opposition even within his elite group
deomelo:
No surprise here, I don't see any form of electoral value in both men state wide or National.

Both men will of course throw money here and there to buy influence and alter political narratives, but at the end of the day, they can not deliver even their own states

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Ofodirinwa: 2:48pm On Sep 02, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Lagos population isn't more than 21 million.

but Kano is? or KEbbi state abi?
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by gtown: 2:52pm On Sep 02, 2018
Bede2u:
lol...ppl with high infant mortality o. We are under colonization by the north west my brother....many of the ppl that make up that 18 million voters are 14 year old kids.

They solution to free yourselves from this colonization by north west is simple. Or don'tyou have 14 years old kids to register as voters in your own region?
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 02, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

but Kano is? or KEbbi state abi?
Same case.
All Nigerian states have extremely inflated figures.
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by kollinz1234(m): 3:07pm On Sep 02, 2018
Eponyeeboz:

I agree with you, Pls remove your number cos of spammers.

What I believe is that the key to the redemption of the SE is in the hands of its leaders and not outsiders. When I talk of leaders, I'm not talking about charlatans like TA Orji.

Once that is generally understood, people won't bother dragging Buhari and Tinubu into Igbo matters.
Thanks man u are key!!
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by gtown: 3:08pm On Sep 02, 2018
kunmiiii:
[/b]Secondus had led other members of the national executive committee of the PDP to the event, at the invitation of the organisers unaware that Saraki had a different agenda.

It was gathered that neither Secondus nor the organisers of the event had the slightest inkling that Saraki was going to take advantage of the forum to declare his aspiration.

Apparently rattled by Saraki’s ambush, the organisers were forced to issue a disclaimer the following day, expressing their disappointment and embarrassment at the action of the Senate President.[b]

Saraki's defection from APC is clearly a blessing in disguise, he's a slimey serial betrayer and a confusionist, and PDP really deserves him, becos they're birds of the same feathers. The same way he greedily betrayed and took advantage of the absence of APC members in 2015 and crowned himself as S.P is the same way he's gonna use that same greed to ruin what's left of PDP.

Wike too is eyeing V.P, Lol...Imagine Mr Wike as V.P and the likes of Saraki, Fayose, Dino in the Federal executive government...Nigeria will never recover oo!! The greediness of these thugs and rogues is the downfall of PDP
I agree with you totally. It was the same guileful way he used to declare his presidential ambition.
Saraki is not only greedy, he is also a serial betrayal and a usurper combined. But one thing is sure for him; he will meet his waterloo in PMB comes 2019.

4 Likes

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by gtown: 3:12pm On Sep 02, 2018
Kingspin:
Buhari is the only president that cannot talk about education under his government. Or power or roads as a president of a country. He doesn't discuss any thing to the public. And this man has been on seat for 3years counting.

Are Nigerians that blind?

Another party person should come and rescue Nigeria.
Where were the education and road when we had presidents who talk about them? You must be the blind Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by bitterT(m): 3:43pm On Sep 02, 2018
[quote author=yns4real post=70823320]•Senate president says quest not a betrayal of ex-VP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) may have to pick its presidential flag bearer in next year’s election from the Northwest geo political zone, The Nation gathered yesterday.

With over 18 million eligible voters as at last February, the zone has the largest voting population in the country.
It is followed by the Southwest with over 14million voters.

The Nation gathered that the main opposition party is taking notice of the situation and may settle for one of its presidential aspirants from the zone at its convention next month to slug it out with the incumbent, President Muhammadu Buhari in the February 2019 poll.

Buhari is on course to emerge as the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate later this month.

Presidential aspirants of the PDP from the Northwest are Senator Ahmed Maikarfi, Alhaji Sule Lamido, Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal, former Special Duties Minister Kabiru Tanimu Turaki, former Kano State governor Ibrahim Shekarau, former Sokoto State governor Attahiru Bafarawa and former Kano State governor Rabiu Kwankwaso.

The implication is that the likes of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar from Adamawa in the Northeast and Senate president Bukola Saraki from Kwara State in the Northcentral stand a little or no chance of getting the PDP ticket.

Party source said yesterday that Saraki in particular may be facing formidable hurdles already from the PDP and the Northwest geo political in his bid to fly the party’s flag in next year’s presidential election.

Saraki formally declared his presidential aspiration in Abuja on Thursday, citing pressure from Nigerian youths.

However, party source told The Nation yesterday that the former Kwara State governor has a long chain of barriers to be broken to achieve his ambition.

One of such is the suggestion by some PDP members that the party’s presidential candidate has to come from the Northwest zone for the PDP to stand a good chance of defeating President Muhammadu Buhari.
Buhari is from Daura, Katsina State in the Northwest.

He commands a cult followership not only in the zone but across the northern region.

Pressure is mounting on the PDP leadership to narrow down its ticket to the Northwest as it is the only way to compete with Buhari.

Kwankwaso from Kano State in the Northwest is one of the leading advocates for the PDP presidential candidate coming from the Northwest.

Kwankwaso’s view is shared by many in the party.

Their argument is that the only way to whittle down the votes of the APC and its candidate, Muhammadu Buhari, in the zone is for the PDP to pick a candidate from the same zone.

Several interest groups from the zone are now promoting the view point in the party.

Speaking with journalists in Abuja on Friday shortly after obtaining his nomination documents, Kwankwaso said: “everyone knows that the bulk of the votes come from the Northwest and it would not be wrong for anyone to suggest that the PDP candidate should come from that zone.

“You all saw from the last general election in 2015 the number of votes from Kano alone. So it’s just normal to expect the candidate to emerge from the Northwest. That is the only way to defeat them (APC). But this is my opinion because everybody has their different opinions”.

Another formidable obstacle to Saraki’s aspiration is the perceived disposition of Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike who is seen by many as the de facto leader of the PDP.

Wike, chief backer of the incumbent national chairman of the PDP, Uche Secondus, is said to be the number one supporter of Tambuwal’s presidential ambition.

It is understood that there is an agreement between him and Tambuwal that he will be the Sokoto State governor’s running mate in the presidential race if he gets the ticket.

Wike’s disposition on the PDP presidential ticket is suspected to have informed Secondus’ hurried exit from the venue of Saraki’s formal declaration for the presidency in Abuja on Thursday.

Secondus had led other members of the national executive committee of the PDP to the event, at the invitation of the organisers unaware that Saraki had a different agenda.

It was gathered that neither Secondus nor the organisers of the event had the slightest inkling that Saraki was going to take advantage of the forum to declare his aspiration.

Apparently rattled by Saraki’s ambush, the organisers were forced to issue a disclaimer the following day, expressing their disappointment and embarrassment at the action of the Senate President.

Meanwhile, the Senate president is continuing his consultations with socio-political and interest groups across the country.
One of his aides who does not want to be named said yesterday that he met with the Pan Niger Delta Forum (PANDEF) headed by Chief Edwin Clark, the Yoruba group – Afenifere -and a group of northern elders led by Prof Ango Abdullahi during the week.

He, however, did not venture comments on the outcome of the consultations, saying Saraki only briefed the groups and explained his decision to join the race.

“You don’t expect it (consultation) to be a one-off thing because you are required to lay all your cards on the table through sustained consultation over time”, the aide added.

My presidential ambition not a betrayal of Atiku, says Saraki

Responding to questions yesterday on Saraki’s ambition, his chief spokesman, Yusuph Olaniyonu dismissed speculations that Saraki betrayed former vice president Atiku Abubakar by joining the presidential race.

“No aspirant’s presidential quest is a betrayal of any others”, the office of the Senate President, Senator Olusola Saraki has said.
Some of Atiku’s supporters had expressed surprised that Senator Saraki is challenging Atiku who once helped to mobilize support for him to become Senate President.

He asserted that such assumptions are wrong, unjustifiable and baseless.

“Betrayal? How? Was there an agreement that ‘you will support me for this, I will support you for that?” Olaniyonu retorted yesterday when he met The Nation.

He added: “were they not in different political parties before?

“We know that some people have an agenda in all this; they have an agenda on everything concerning Senator Saraki and there is no point responding to whatever misinformation they wish to spread.

“There is no betrayal whatsoever between the two eminent citizens.

“Are Governor Tambuwal and Senator Saraki not even much closer than the relationship between the former Vice President and the Senate President?

“Governor Tambuwal and Senator Saraki are more of brothers but as true democrats, the two of them are in this race and they do not have any problem with one another over it; whoever wins the presidential ticket would get the support of the other,” he said.
Good move
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Bede2u(m): 3:59pm On Sep 02, 2018
gtown:

They solution to free yourselves from this colonization by north west is simple. Or don'tyou have 14 years old kids to register as voters in your own region?
u think inec go allow underage voting in the south?
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by CloudResident(m): 4:04pm On Sep 02, 2018
Atiku cried when they bought the nomination form for him last week .. but wait that's not all.

He will still cry when they zone it to Norh-West proper.
Yet again he will cry when Buhari wins next year.

Na crocodile tears cry dey rush Atiku now grin

1 Like

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Kingspin(m): 4:11pm On Sep 02, 2018
gtown:

Where were the education and road when we had presidents who talk about them? You must be the blind Nigerian.
Watch any previous governments of Nigeria or even outside you see them debating on the vision of their government to the public, briefing often the policies and action from the government side or why things are this way or that way..

The over all statistics of workload from the government. Buhari have never ever done that before. Words from president are widely recognized and powerful

Buhari look like an invader.

Don't be double blind.
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Maduawuchukwu(m): 5:29pm On Sep 02, 2018
Eponyeeboz:

Who wants to pick it in the SE? Rochas that you hate or Ngige that you loathe?

Tickets aren't given, they are fought for and won. If you don't align, build bridges and promote your interest, you'll keep crying without results.

And you think the South West are sure of the victory in 2023? 2023 the pdp might produce another northerner and the North might go with him over whomever the South West brings under APC
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by senatordave1(m): 5:53pm On Sep 02, 2018
onatisi:
The battle for 2019 presidential seat will be won and determined by the south south and south east and it seems APC has realized this and they are trying to woo many core pdp members from that regions ,this is something pdp must look critically at and they must not take the support of those regions for granted,if the current defections of pdp members in those regions to APC is anything to go by then pdp really needs to be worried
Your very correct.pdp are taking the support of these two zones for granted.they feel that they can always get bloc votes from these two zones automatically as if they are robots or zombies.these two zones are the most educated in nigeria and cant vote for one party in a free and fair polls.during elections,total votes in ss/se states doesnt exceed 500k.but pdp inflates votes since it is the dominant party there and the electorates do not care.
In 2015,the then cross river governor was the one imoke was issuing orders to inec and telling inec which figures to allocate.wike slept at inec office.voters do not decide,rigging ability does.with the anti rigging innovations by inec manifesting next year,buhari may not get 20% in ss/se but pdp would struggle to get 500,000 votes in any state.but if rigging prevails,buhari will poll 30%.

2 Likes

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by mechanics(m): 6:48pm On Sep 02, 2018
hmmmmm, some of them will still defect after the primaries.
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by ohiku4every1(m): 8:03pm On Sep 02, 2018
All the presidential contestants under the canopy of PDP, OBJ, sewere, Trump and the rest from other political parties, add together, multiply the result by the total number of their various supporters on Nairaland and in the world at large, the grand total cannot compete with PMB

BUHARI will defeat all of them join together while still lying on bed at the early hours of election day

#iStandWithMrIntegrity

2 Likes

Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Pacesetter123(m): 4:29pm On Sep 03, 2018
Edcure1:

Sule Lamido too. Or is he not in the race?
Yes,u r korect.He is in the race.But why i singled out Makarfi was that,he,Lamido was relatively unheard of all through the crisis period.
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Pacesetter123(m): 4:34pm On Sep 03, 2018
Bolognese:
Because the Presidential Primaries of PDP holds last (October 6th i guess)...

PDP's Governorship, Senate and House or Reps Primaries including appeals must have been concluded before the presidential primaries.

It's different from what happened in 2014, where the APC presidential primaries was conducted first before National Assembly, Governorship and State House of Assembly primaries.

ok
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Pacesetter123(m): 4:38pm On Sep 03, 2018
Edcure1:

Sule Lamido too. Or is he not in the race?
Lamido was relatively unheard of during the crisis period
Re: 2019: PDP Eyes Northwest As Party Sets To Dump Atiku, Saraki by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 04, 2018
Ugosample:

What does Igbos have to do with this now? ?

And when the presidency is "zoned" to the South, you really think it will be someone from the SW that will be given the ticket? ? grin

Let's wait and see. Igbo seem to be living for today, not thinking of the future. That's why they grab whatever is dangled at them per time.
With such Esau-like mentality, no one gets to the top!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See How Buhari Was Received In Sudan On His Way To Nigeria From India(photos) / DSS Accuses Israeli Filmmakers Of Supporting IPOB, Detains Them In Cells / Female IPOB Member On Horse Leads "No Election In Anambra" Campaign (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.