Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,220 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

I Want To Learn Php - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Php (4543 Views)

I Want To Learn Php Oop! Prescribe An Ebook / Learn Php Mysql The Wordpress Way / I'm Gonna Learn PHP In One Night! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Learn Php by Wexcel: 12:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
Hello please, I want to learn PHP, I have the Ebook and have installed WAMP but I dont know how to use it for now and can it work without internet?
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Beaf: 1:27pm On Jul 05, 2010
Don't!
Learn ASP.NET (preferably C#) or Java.

Also, avoid Classic ASP for the same reasons as you should avoid PHP (poor security, spaghetti code, productivity etc).

Go ASP.NET (preferably C#) or Java, and you know what? You'll even get paid more!
Re: I Want To Learn Php by netghost: 4:56pm On Jul 05, 2010
anyone you wish to learn i got the complete interractive tutors from www.Lynda.com

C#
Java
Php
Vb.net

and alot more just contact me on
mittjames@yahoo.com

but am currently working with C# asp.net, its a blessing to the programming world
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Beaf: 7:12pm On Jul 05, 2010
^
Any COBOL? grin grin grin
Re: I Want To Learn Php by netghost: 7:28pm On Jul 05, 2010
specially reserved just for you grin
Re: I Want To Learn Php by denitro(m): 10:28pm On Jul 05, 2010
W excel:

Hello please, I want to learn PHP, I have the Ebook and have installed WAMP but I dont know how to use it for now and can it work without internet?

All this will help you but the best way to learn is to find someone who knows PHP very well, get him to teach you.
That's how I learnt, then use the ebook and internet tutorials to learn more tips and tricks
Re: I Want To Learn Php by olabukky: 1:19pm On Jul 06, 2010
Denitro, can you recomend someone to teach?

Thank you
Re: I Want To Learn Php by webmonkey(m): 6:10pm On Jul 06, 2010

Home Help Search Profile Who's On Rules Logout

Re: I Want To Learn Php by guru02(m): 8:24pm On Jul 06, 2010
Am so amaze about how (Beaf/ netghost) said he shouldn't learn php.
But if i must ask, why c#/asp.net?
I just finish a tut on php.
Thanks.
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 06, 2010
No Offense but BEAF is very S.T.U.P.ee.D,

@POSTER. PHP is about the best technology for developing rapid web based applications, facebook, and a great number of sites use it.

The I.D.E.I.OT called Beaf, I wonder when Java became a strong force in web applications, for the records, i am Java Programmer, and also learnt JSP for web based application development, but i can tell you without fear, PHP is more better than JSP in web application development!
Re: I Want To Learn Php by webmonkey(m): 10:19am On Jul 07, 2010

Donpuzo:

@POSTER. PHP is about the best technology for developing rapid web based applications, facebook, and a great number of sites use it.

The I.D.E.I.OT called Beaf, I wonder when Java became a strong force in web applications, for the records, i am Java Programmer, and also learnt JSP for web based application development, but i can tell you without fear, PHP is more better than JSP in web application development!

Yes, I agree with you. But when it comes to enterprise solution provider, PHP fails the test miserably. Java and all it related technologies i.e. JSP, SOAP, JAXP, JSF, Servlet etc. are there for a reason.

Developing a solution for a financial institution, like International Trade Application that would communicate with Treasury department for the current FX (Foreign Exchange) for a deal of LC (Letter of Credit) to import rice worth $1.73 Billion. The LC must be opened in Nigeria for a company say (Dangote for example) NGN259,999,999,950. This is the actual Naira value for $1.73Billion  FX of NGN150 per Dollar. I cannot imagine a bank that would want to expose all this liquidity to a single trade. What they would do it syndicate with two or three other banks.

Now, to develop this type of application PHP will fail miserably. J2EE or .NET will be the best framework to use. You need a lot of Message passing i.e. JMS for Java, .COM++ for .NET.

You would need a good Object oriented approach for encapsulating your Object and efficient way of coupling these objects. Like .DLL or .JAR. You would need a web portal written in DHTML/JSF/JSP/Servlet/XML/ASP.NET etc, you would also need a way to wrap these web objects in manageable objects that could communicate with the RDMS with little memory heap.

Bottom line, PHP is a very good tool for developing database web driven application. But not a good transaction database web driven application.

Re: I Want To Learn Php by webmonkey(m): 10:38am On Jul 07, 2010

Do you know why you should learn ASP.NET or Java? The honest truth is that you would probably end up as an employee of an organisation supporting their systems or at best a consultant. Most of these organisations uses Microsoft product i.e. Window Server 2003/7 and Desktop Vista Professional or Window7 or at worst Unix as servers runing Solaris as Desktop Enterprise.

You can NEVER see PHP operating system to support. Most of the software organisation uses, are subject to their compatibility with their environment, hence window or solaris application.

Vendors, knows this and write application to accommodate these trends. Look at these sites, if you live in Nigeria as an IT professional and still seeking for jobs. These are the application you should research and learn. ECM, Trade Application and Treasury for Banking, Microsoft ECM, InfoRouter, ECM, ERP, CRM

Re: I Want To Learn Php by Wexcel: 11:23am On Jul 07, 2010

All this will help you but the best way to learn is to find someone who knows PHP very well, get him to teach you.
That's how I learnt, then use the ebook and internet tutorials to learn more tips and tricks
Can you recommend someone please?
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 07, 2010
Bross, listen to what you yourself are saying. step by step they say the game goes,

Do you think i don't know how efficient Java can be with robust systems, more-so, it allows proper modeling using Model II Architecture for development.

I swear by the great grand father, if one does not start with a smaller technology like ASP or PHP, JSP,and the whole servlet stuff, will remain a mystery to him or her,

I have been there, while people learn things. I even remember when someone as S.T.U.P.ee.D, as BEEF called TOMCAT a language that should be dreaded,

Never knew when a server became a language!
Re: I Want To Learn Php by webmonkey(m): 4:17pm On Jul 07, 2010

Listen, why do you want someone to teach you programming? This is not a tea party. It is a professional career you are embarking. Some self motivation must be available.

All you need to learn about any programming language is how to:

1. Define variable
2. Initialize variable
3. Define Object variable
4. Manipulate variable (Local and Global variable)
5. Loops (for, switch, while, do, each, eachFor, etc.)
6. Reference and pointer (char* sex, &sex)
7. Logic construct (The way your brain thinks)
8. Develop something (Calculator, interest calculator, etc)

Visit [url=http://myweb1.lsbu.ac.uk/~fintan/]here[/url] for Java enthusiast
Re: I Want To Learn Php by guru02(m): 9:06pm On Jul 07, 2010
@webmonkey
can you pls recommend a book on;
design pattern,
data structure and algorithm,
logic.
pls!
I just completed a tut on php, because i want to start from web developing into other fields.
And also a good book that can improve my skills as a developer.
Thanks.
Re: I Want To Learn Php by netghost: 11:51pm On Jul 07, 2010
@Donpuzo,  believe me u dont want to get into a flame war with Beef the dude no they tire

, even the facebook used to site an example has it major component written in java, not pHp, i know thats not enough reason to say that one language is better that the other,

.NET allow user to spend more time focusing on the objective at hand rather that trying to make a few lines of code work and i think webmonkey has said it all when it comes to the flaws of PHP, for  a new programmer php line of codes can become very difficult to read when it comes to large line of code

but if you are down with learning php, i wount try to stop u cos am one of those few that think a programming language is a good as the programmer

the interractive tutors i have will teach everything u need to know about php it come in modules and if there is anything u need to know that is there, but then u will be so good in the programming language that u will be able to dig out resources on your own
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 08, 2010
Facebook core competence in Java, thats a sick statement Facebook is PHP and my Mysql and an advanced PHP that converts to C++ on the other end.if u guys don't know what to say then don't today vb.net tomorrow another platform microsoft keeps changing like hell just to copy other languages.Java is what it is.at least you are sure of being within the confines of Java Technology and not relearning another curve again, if not for java C# will look strange to you, also its stupid to use PHP not being used in a company as an exuse, use your head PHP is OS(Open Source Technology) mean changes are or might not be made depending on the community,as also OST are known to have bugs after all they have rapid builds to proprietary software.all softwares are vital its a matter of what you like better or feel comfortable with.don't listen to those one mind sided progammers i use to hate C# and love java without even looking at how C# codes looks like.only to discover myself looking at java, FYI there are more PHP Developers than ASP.the fact your company doesnt use it doesnt mean it isnt popular, Get some fact before you spit , Microsoft Fan boys
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 08, 2010
@pc guru, Hey, wats up bro

Look, i tire for this small boys ohh, Them think PHP na baby, if i show you socket programming code wth PHP, you guys will run (Not excluding myself).

PHP is not a kid language, it's one of the most Celebrated language!

@Netghost, i kind of agree with that opinion that Facebook may use JSP, cause i have a way of coding JSP and it will come with the extension .php, it may just be a trick to avoid hackers knowing the true technology!

And just to send a note to you, i don't intend to have a BEEF with a S.T.U.P.ee.D person, who once said he also has decided to relegate Javascript!

Many of this guys take issues with languages without caring to know anyfin abt them,

Give respect to every programmer, even if he uses ColdFusion to achieve a solution, it is better than none!
Re: I Want To Learn Php by netghost: 11:16pm On Jul 08, 2010
@Donpuzo, nice words,

as i said ealier i belive a programming language is only as good as the programmer
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Beaf: 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2010
Donpuzo:

The[b] I.D.E.I.OT called Beaf[/b], I wonder when Java became a strong force in web applications, for the records, i am Java Programmer, and also learnt JSP for web based application development, but i can tell you without fear, PHP is more better than JSP in web application development!

You'll be sooooooo shocked to find that I'm your dad!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Donpuzo:

Bross, listen to what you yourself are saying. step by step they say the game goes,

Do you think i don't know how efficient Java can be with robust systems, more-so, it allows proper modeling using Model II Architecture for development.

I swear by the great grand father, if one does not start with a smaller technology like ASP or PHP, JSP,and the whole servlet stuff, will remain a mystery to him or her,

I have been there, while people learn things. I even remember when someone as S.T.U.P.ee.D, as BEEF called TOMCAT a language that should be dreaded,

Never knew when a server became a language!

Don't tell lies my friend, its not good for your health. I challenge you to post a link to the bolded or accept the toga of a lier. cool
All dis small small pikin dem sef! angry
. . .You've learnt PHP and now think you're a god? Na wa o! grin Only children would compare Java and PHP, or other equivalent rubbish for kids like classic ASP (VBScript).
Re: I Want To Learn Php by netghost: 6:00pm On Jul 09, 2010
@BEEF, its obivious u like engaging in flame wars, just give the user what he needs to know about PHP and let the rest burn

@Donpuzo, am sure u got better things to do than engaging BEEF in any argument, the dude does not listen  ("A PIECE OF ADVICE")
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Beaf: 6:09pm On Jul 09, 2010
Donpuzo:

@pc guru, Hey, wats up bro

Look, i tire for this small boys ohh, Them think PHP na baby, [size=14pt]if i show you socket programming code wth PHP[/size], you guys will run (Not excluding myself).

PHP is not a kid language, it's one of the most Celebrated language!

@Netghost, i kind of agree with that opinion that Facebook may use JSP, cause i have a way of coding JSP and it will come with the extension .php, it may just be a trick to avoid hackers knowing the true technology!

And just to send a note to you, i don't intend to have a BEEF with a S.T.U.P.ee.D person, who once said he also has decided to relegate Javascript!

Many of this guys take issues with languages without caring to know anyfin abt them,

Give respect to every programmer, even if he uses ColdFusion to achieve a solution, it is better than none!

Iya Donpuzo, keep the strong drink from that child!!!

Do you realise that, because of clowns like you that think, "oh, I've got some cellotape and cardboard, just the right stuff to build my doors and windows with", [size=14pt]that PHP accounted for between 28% and 43% of all software security vulnerabilities Worldwide in the past 5 years[/size]?
PHP for socket programming! What a bloody joker! cry cry cry cry
http://www.coelho.net/php_cve.html
http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2009-3557

Interpreted languages like PHP, VBScript and JavaScript, set the bar so low all sorts of script kiddies hop aboard and start start churning out dangerous ideas and dangerous code. Guess why PHP accounts for such a disproportionate percentage of vulnerabilities?. . . Its the kiddies. They think because they can type, 'echo "Hello Word";' that they are the new code hero's. Sad. embarassed
Big toys are for big boys who have the right tools. Socket programming is a big toy and the right tools are strict, type safe languages. Even JavaScript can forge along with sockets, but does common sense say anyone should do such things?
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Beaf: 6:23pm On Jul 09, 2010
netghost:

@BEEF, its obivious u like engaging in flame wars, just give the user what he needs to know about PHP and let the rest burn

@Donpuzo, am sure u got better things to do than engaging BEEF in any argument, the dude does not listen  ("A PIECE OF ADVICE"wink

I just reply in kind to anybody that thinks there is gain in unwarranted rudeness.

I have advised the poster already to learn something else first and I stick by it. It will teach the necessary discipline for a fruitful carreer. The very same advise would go to anyone who wants to learn a scripting or interpreted language as their code grounding. That is just a one way street to frustration and wasted years.

I learnt other languages before picking up the simpler ones and that experience has made it possible to pick up languages like PHP and be immediately productive; in fact, I published my first PHP website in under a week after first looking at it. It wasn't because I am smart or any such thing, its kust that I already had a very proper grounding that allows me to move from language to language quite easily. It is that same sort of experience I am recommending to the OP.
Re: I Want To Learn Php by netghost: 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2010
Beaf:

Socket programming is a big toy and the right tools are strict, type safe languages. Even JavaScript can forge along with sockets, but does common sense say anyone should do such things?

funny
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 10, 2010
This is one character i find in programmers in Nigeria of Today "Pride " and it s very digusting i dont go around telling ASP Developer that what they are studying is stupid because in my opinion i believe every language serves its purpose to a particular problem.not engaging in any word sparing with you BEAF, but that pride of yours will hinder you from expanding your mind.my last line on this topic. to think i use to look at Beaf as someone who was a simple minded programmer, undecided
Re: I Want To Learn Php by netghost: 10:19am On Jul 10, 2010
funny
Re: I Want To Learn Php by Beaf: 1:07pm On Jul 10, 2010
pc guru:

This is one character i find in programmers in Nigeria of Today "Pride " and it s very digusting i dont go around telling ASP Developer that what they are studying is silly because in my opinion i believe every language serves its purpose to a particular problem.not engaging in any word sparing with you BEAF, but that pride of yours will hinder you from expanding your mind.my last line on this topic. to think i use to look at Beaf as someone who was a simple minded programmer, undecided

Pride? I am only offering what I genuinely believe is the very best advise, as someone who is competent across several IT technologies; from C# to your Classic ASP and the OP's PHP; from MySql to Sql Server etc etc etc. Also, why is it that no developers refer to themselves as "programmers" in this day and age, except Nigerians? Maybe, its a dangerous sign of being out of touch with technology? A programmer is a mere technician.

The very last thing I am, is "proud". On the other hand, what I observe among Nigerian developers is an eagerness to take the easiest route and sort of bodge their way forward (even if its the worst solution); the statistics for security vulnerabilities I posted are as real as daylight and mostly the result of bodging with the "easiest" tool; well, its extremely easy for us to become dangerous developers and let ourselves loose on an unsuspecting World.
Always use the right tools. whether it is design patterns or technology, lets not give our fellow Nigerian code hacks who are doing the right thing a bad name.

I will continue to stress it, learn a major language like C# or Java, before launching into PHP or Classic ASP. You will be a better developer for it, you will get paid much more and for goodness sake, the learning tools are FREE.

It is easy to observe the average Nigerian Website and shudder. IT is still relatively new, we can make a difference by stressing best practices now, so that we can catch up with the likes of India.
Nigerian developers can be as good as any in the World, but if we don't strive for excellence, we will continue to rip mediocrity.
Re: I Want To Learn Php by netghost: 1:21pm On Jul 10, 2010
@beef, i changed my mind let me have a chat with u first, u can send ur number to this mail and i will contact u
mittjames@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coding Challenge For Fun / A Comprehensive Tutorial On Vb 6.0 / Computer Science Final Year Project: Need Idea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.