Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President (4818 Views)

How Obama Influenced The Sacking Of Service Chiefs – Vanguard / APC Makes U-turn, Accepts Saraki As Senate President / How First Lady ‘influenced Rivers Governorship Poll For Wike’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by trueword: 4:16am On Jul 07, 2010
Facebook influenced my U-turn on national teams’ ban — President
By AGENCY REPORTER
Wednesday, 7 Jul 2010

President Goodluck Jonathan has said the hundreds of posts on his Facebook page helped persuade him to reverse his suspension of the nation’s football teams from international competitions, the British Broadcasting Corporation reports.

“I have listened to your voices,” Jonathan said in a posting on the social networking site on Monday. He had banned the Super Eagles and other national teams for two years, following the senior team‘s poor World Cup campaign.

He overturned his decision on Monday evening, ahead of a 6pm deadline from football world governing body, FIFA, to quash the ban.

Under FIFA rules, government interference with national teams is strictly forbidden.

The President lifted the ban after the Nigerian Football Federation promised to disband and rebuild the Super Eagles.

“I read your comments and took them into account in the government‘s decision to rescind the suspension of Nigeria from international football,” Jonathan said on Facebook.

The President, who only set up his Facebook page early last week, two days before the ban, has more than 76,000 Facebook followers.

“I had a meeting with the NFF today and conveyed my disappointment and those of Nigerians on this page and received assurances that there will be positive changes.

“We must now work together to make sure that the NFF and our players do us proud in future events,” he said, ending the message with his initials ”GEJ.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100707602210
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by trueword: 4:17am On Jul 07, 2010
hmm maybe if he gets enough bombardment about other issues such as power, he will try to make sure all processes are expedited.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by tpiah: 4:17am On Jul 07, 2010
i just read this on the news and found it quite wondrous.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by buffox: 6:21am On Jul 07, 2010
this man has started playing mind games abi.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nobody: 6:29am On Jul 07, 2010
Under FIFA rules, government interference with national teams is strictly forbidden.

The President lifted the ban after the Nigerian Football Federation promised to disband and rebuild the Super Eagles.

Nigerians and their empty promises. grin
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 07, 2010
Very silly comment from a president.so he can't reason on his own ? This same way they've been pushing him to cause problems in nigeria
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nuriel22: 8:41am On Jul 07, 2010
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by jodeci(m): 9:03am On Jul 07, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Very silly comment from a president.so he can't reason on his own ? This same way they've been pushing him to cause problems in nigeria

too fast to cast aspersions,doubt if you will do any better if in that position.It is easier to play from the side.Freedom of speech applies to speeches made from the mouth and not from the an*s
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by mustafar1: 9:21am On Jul 07, 2010
retards. ANIMALS AS LEADERS!
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Jarus(m): 10:25am On Jul 07, 2010
If many people on his facebook page tell him not to contest the 2011 election, will he oblige too?
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by mijd(m): 10:41am On Jul 07, 2010
Jarus:

If many people on his facebook page tell him not to contest the 2011 election, will he oblige too?

Has he told u his intention to contest, or u are trying to lure him to do soooooooo?
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 07, 2010
jodeci:

too fast to cast aspersions,doubt if you will do any better if in that position.It is easier to play from the side.Freedom of speech applies to speeches made from the mouth and not from the an*s
no comment,sorry
Jarus:

it would soon get to that since facebook is now his  adviser.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Kx: 10:49am On Jul 07, 2010
What about all the posts on bad road, power and poverty on his page, why has nt he addresed those issues?
To think that he even made bold to say he uses nigerian time to browse the internet sef and Facebook at that!
When your people are dieing of hunger,unemployment, bad roads, lack of power etc GEJ is busy  browsing FB.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 07, 2010
Kx:

What about all the posts on bad road, power and poverty on his page, why has nt he addresed those issues?
To think that he even made bold to say he uses nigerian time to browse the internet sef and Facebook at that!
When your people are dieing of hunger,unemployment, bad roads, lack of power etc GEJ is busy  browsing FB.
ROTFLMAO. . .
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by sayso: 11:23am On Jul 07, 2010
Kx:

When your people are dieing of hunger,unemployment, bad roads, lack of power etc GEJ is busy browsing FB.

this one caught my attention. grin grin grin.NL make una no kill persin wit laughter.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Adonike(m): 11:24am On Jul 07, 2010
This president is very very very very very FUNNY!
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by ottiotti: 11:25am On Jul 07, 2010
he is joking, right
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Justcash(m): 11:26am On Jul 07, 2010
[b]Another reason why Nigeria will never move forward is extreme skepticism among Nigerians. It is so bad that even If Goodluck Jonathan makes electricity constant, he will still face insults and senseless criticisms.
I read his status, he said that he did it because of the outcry of many Nigerians on his page. Ofcourse, he must have compared those views with the views of the politicians that were encouraging him to ban the team. He listens to ordinary Nigerians. That is something new.
Is Obama not on Facebook? So because GEJ is a president he should not have a time of his own to browse. To even think that he spends those times to still speak with Nigerians should be appreciated.
Sometimes I wonder how good all these critics would perform if they were in the same position. I bet most of you would be worst than IBB and Abacha.

Anyway, before you say I am from PDP, I support APGA. But I will vote Goodluck Jonathan If APGA does not bring out a good candidate, and if Fashola/Amaechi does not Contest.[/b]
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Spyker: 11:27am On Jul 07, 2010
Utter rubbish, facebook my ass. What happened to the thousand and one complains on facebook. What attention has he given to them compare to ordinary football.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by oisehumen(m): 11:33am On Jul 07, 2010
Spyker:

Utter rubbish, facebook my backside. What happened to the thousand and one complains on facebook. What attention has he given to them compare to ordinary football.

Do u expect him to reply or attend to all the complaints at once?
Na one by one now; take am easy bros. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by kehneah: 11:36am On Jul 07, 2010
nigerians, so insatiable set of people,this guy is making effort to communicate with the average nigerian hence his opening a FB acct and here u all are dissing him.i think us having a means to reach him even if its thru facebook is better then notin at all.abeg free the guy
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Kx: 11:45am On Jul 07, 2010
Justcash:

[size=15pt] To even think that he spends those times to still speak with Nigerians should be appreciated.
[/size]

Do we still make comments like this in a democracy?
For ur "elected" president whom u queued in the line under rain and sun to vote in, to speak to you has become a priviledge? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 07, 2010
Justcash:

[b]Another reason why Nigeria will never move forward is extreme skepticism among Nigerians. It is so bad that even If Goodluck Jonathan makes electricity constant, he will still face insults and senseless criticisms.
I read his status, he said that he did it because of the outcry of many Nigerians on his page. Ofcourse, he must have compared those views with the views of the politicians that were encouraging him to ban the team. He listens to ordinary Nigerians. That is something new.
Is Obama not on Facebook? So because GEJ is a president he should not have a time of his own to browse. To even think that he spends those times to still speak with Nigerians should be appreciated.
Sometimes I wonder how good all these critics would perform if they were in the same position. I bet most of you would be worst than IBB and Abacha.

Anyway, before you say I am from PDP, I support APGA. But I will vote Goodluck Jonathan If APGA does not bring out a good candidate, and if Fashola/Amaechi does not Contest.[/b]
rotflmao. . .are you saying that jonathan wouldnt have reverse his blunder if he is not on facebook.how many peoples' voice did he hear when he has less than a hundred thousand friends.what if millions of nigeria that dont have access to internet had supported the banning.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Spyker: 11:52am On Jul 07, 2010
oisehumen:

Do u expect him to reply or attend to all the complaints at once?
Na one by one now; take am easy bros. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I said there are more important issues to listen to and attend to. Our leaders must have guts to say and mean what they say. This is where i love Abacha.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by bisiaet: 11:54am On Jul 07, 2010
Please dear posters in the house if Jonathan said he changed his mind because people were on him on his facebook concerning the ban he lifted please is this a crime? Cant he talk again for goodness sake? For even having a president that has time to go on facebook and read what is there is it wrong?

Yeah the road is bad, electricity zero, infrastructure rubbish, employement second to none but we should remember this man just took power from this A-S-S Hole not long ago and he is doing his best, our society is very complex more than what we thought it is beside what has OBJ did for 8 yrs? IBB? Yardua? Please poster this man called Jonathan did nothing wrong by saying what he said if truely he said so no ned of abusing or insulting him he is human like everybody. God bless.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by onyengbu1(m): 12:24pm On Jul 07, 2010
bisiaet:

Please dear posters in the house if Jonathan said he changed his mind because people were on him on his facebook concerning the ban he lifted please is this a crime? Cant he talk again for goodness sake? For even having a president that has time to go on facebook and read what is there is it wrong?

Yeah the road is bad, electricity zero, infrastructure rubbish, employement second to none but we should remember[b] this man just took power from this A-S-S Hole[/b] not long ago and he is doing his best, our society is very complex more than what we thought it is beside what has OBJ did for 8 yrs? IBB? Yardua? Please poster this man called Jonathan did nothing wrong by saying what he said if truely he said so no ned of abusing or insulting him he is human like everybody. God bless.

Points of correction:

1. GEJ did not take power from yaradua.
2.  Yaradua might have been so many things but im sure he was not an a$$hole.
3. You should  learn how to respect the dead.

@ Post,

It was a wise decision our presido took. It might not even be due to facebook posts but I believe he saw an opportunity to tell the world that he actually read all those Facebook posts.

How is any of that bad?
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by presido1: 12:36pm On Jul 07, 2010
Is this guy going senile or what? So he want to tell us that their is no complain about our roads and other infrastructures. What if those his internets friends are NFF members with multiple FB id's?

Let me check his FB sef. Maybe i can create 100000 id's to let him know that Patience Jonathan need to be investigated for her looting ordeal while he was the Governor of bayelsa.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by chakula: 12:44pm On Jul 07, 2010
sorry even the current president exhibited the same from the ex-ones,if you counted him as different from them why single handedly made decision without the concept of his subordinate was he a decision maker what of other bodies were they not not in active before the action was taken? friend you are just talking rubish jonathan and co were desame with the ex-ones.

bisiaet:

remember this man just took power from this A-S-S Hole not long ago and he is doing his best, .

Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by KnowAll(m): 12:58pm On Jul 07, 2010
[size=14pt]In the light of later day results, it would seem the Nigeria team had what can be construed as marginal Losses in all 3 matches. Argentina getting walloped by Germany and England oblitrated by Germany, the Nigerian Presidency has either realise his folly in banning a team who only loss because of indicipline and not for their lack of skill.

Hindsight is good, Jonathan must learn next time to exercise a little bit of patience b4 he start spraying everywhere with his " UZI Machine gun", not konwing a wise silent killer with only one bullet with a lowly and lack strenght .22 calibre pistol would have a field day once he has exhauxted his bullets, our friend with his .22 will not only have the pleasure of choosing anywhere on Messers Jonthan's body to have maximum deadly effect in killing him off, he would have shown yet again that Jonathan must be more tactful in future.  

I wonder what happened to Messer's Jonathan's patience, I thought he once had a patience that span 3 months during that Yaradua debacle, uhmm seems power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.   undecided[/size]
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Justcash(m): 1:09pm On Jul 07, 2010
~Bluetooth:

rotflmao. . .[b]are you saying that jonathan wouldnt have reverse his blunder if he is not on facebook.[/b]how many peoples' voice did he hear when he has less than a hundred thousand friends.what if millions of nigeria that dont have access to internet had supported the banning.

And what gave you the assurance that he would have reversed it if he was not on FB?
Even if it was another reason that made him to reverse it and he came out stating that it was because of the comments on Facebook, do you expect me to doubt what he said when I have no evidence to prove it?
Like I said, this "I too know" attitude by some Nigerians is killing the country. Too much of cooking hands in a pot, spoils the soup.
I am not suggesting that you should be gullible. I am suggesting that you should criticize constructively.
I dint want him to reverse it sha. But he did and gave a good reason. He din't need to see 150 million views to get a sample of the general views of Nigerians. If you know how to get samples for a research work, you will know what I mean.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Justcash(m): 1:20pm On Jul 07, 2010
Kx:

Do we still make comments like this in a democracy?
For your "elected" president whom u queued in the line under rain and sun to vote in, to speak to you has become a priviledge? shocked shocked shocked

Oh! because you queued in the rain to vote him, he should not have time to sit in front of his computer to browse?!
Personally, If I was him, those free browsing moments would be very precious to me. I'd use them for strictly personal things, than just registering in Facebook and giving Nigerian youths assurance and acting upon their suggestions.
For God's sake, the Man takes time to read the comments there. He points out ordinary Nigerian youths with good and reasonable views and suggestions to act upon their request. Is that not a sacrifice? Did you vote him into power to go to Facebook and try to listen to what the youths have to suggest?
Anyway, you have your view, I have mine.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by kooltoo(m): 2:24pm On Jul 07, 2010
bisiaet:

Yeah the road is bad, electricity zero, infrastructure rubbish, employement second to none but we should remember this man just took power from this A-S-S Hole not long ago and he is doing his best, our society is very complex more than what we thought it is beside what has OBJ did for 8 yrs? IBB? Yardua? Please poster this man called Jonathan did nothing wrong by saying what he said if truely he said so no ned of abusing or insulting him he is human like everybody. God bless.

Did you say ***HOLE? Thats so, God! i dont even know how to qualify that. How could you say that about the dead. Baffles me what goes on in some people's head. And POC Jonathan did not "take power".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

‘ex-service Men, Undergrads Are Members Of Boko Haram Strike Force’ / Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank / Adamawa Gubernatorial Election - I'm Confused.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.