Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,898 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere (42693 Views)

CEMENT TECHNOLOGY: Federal Roads Under Senator David Umahi’s Watch Will Last 50 / If APC Loses Ebonyi The PDP From The Following State Should Prepare To Lose- Joe / SE: We Can Make Ebonyi The Silicon Valley Of Nuclear Technology. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 27, 2018
i think apart from abj, ebonyi has the best roads in the SS and SE, even ph doesnt compare to ebonyi on roads. devil is working.
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by mrphysics(m): 8:09am On Sep 27, 2018
You forgot to add that it's 9 inches thick.
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Fawklicant: 8:10am On Sep 27, 2018
ayokellany:

Show us video where Okorocha said that. Don’t come and wail on NL n don’t send me senseless website from Ipob, PDP n foolish Igbos.

Video where he shamelessly stated the quote.

A simple Google search doesn't cost much. If you didn't see the video, then you are not up to date as far as Naija news is concerned. It was all over the news.
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by lexy2014: 8:10am On Sep 27, 2018
Grupo:

See as you just wasted explanation. The person you were explaining to would not even understand half of the things you wrote
oya explain what u read
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by lawrence35(m): 8:11am On Sep 27, 2018
Nice work, we need pple like this....

See my signature
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by flyca: 8:11am On Sep 27, 2018
Fawklicant:
[s]Kindly read what you wrote there again. You don't have to try to sound smart.
For one, this is a country road. A road linking villages and a lot of times won't have drainage for the most part except select locations identified for flash floods.
Secondly, you only saw a section of the road and you are ranting about interchanges, direction boards, streetlights. Really? A road linking communities and you are talking about interchanges and streetlights?
Even though the op may have exaggerated a bit due to excitement, it still doesn't warrant the bile you spat up there[/s].

So “country road” is supposed to be built anyhow? See the reason your post makes no sense that's why I cancelled it.

Even if he built a good country road, so? He is the governor! The one they pay tax to. The one with their Federal allocation! It's his job, why is it news worthy?
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by NwaEzefuNaMba(m): 8:13am On Sep 27, 2018
Abatvic:
With no proper drainage, it wont last. The durability won't even stand the flood.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by mamatwiny(f): 8:15am On Sep 27, 2018
CaptainFM1:
This technology is yet to put to the rigorous test by Danfo drivers, Dangote Heavy utility trucks and heavy fuel trucks. Don't conclude on its durability yet. And mind you, its not the first concrete/cement road in Nigeria.

It is very durable. That is what spdc used to build a road here when they got tired of tarring the road every year due to flood. Rods, cement and sand was used to build the road and it was later coated with a thin tar.
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Mailthaddeus(m): 8:16am On Sep 27, 2018
Acidosis:
Road without storm water drain?

It's not a must that all roads must have drains, especially in rural highway with low flood susceptibility. Even in the USA, such roads exists
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by ibukunobi: 8:16am On Sep 27, 2018
ibukunobi:
Dangote did a far better one in my Town, KABBA TO OBAJANA VIA LOKOJA ROAD.
AG-Dangote Construction Limited, in a joint venture between Andrade Gutierrez (AG) of Brazil and Dangote Group Nigeria, has recently commissioned the longest stretch of concrete road, in the country. The 24km road links Obajana and Kabba in Kogi State.

Present at the commissioning ceremony was the Minister for works, Housing and Power, Babatunde Raji Fashola. Dangote Construction Company Limited, executed the project as a Corporate Social Responsibility and Service to the Community.

Aliko Dangote, the President of Dangote Group, described the commissioning event as historic because the road is the first concrete road project that the Dangote Industries Limited (DIL), have formally commissioned in Nigeria.

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by omooba969(m): 8:17am On Sep 27, 2018
Philinho:
PDP Govs doing wonders while APC Govs are paying salaries in percentage .Up Adeleke

Please mention an example of such wonders?
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by AdeMavrodi: 8:17am On Sep 27, 2018
It started by dangote. Cement road is also on Obajana to Kabba road in Kogi state and it's constructed by Dangote construction. Pls note that it is an extremely expensive project not economically viable in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Mailthaddeus(m): 8:20am On Sep 27, 2018
tigerclaws:
did they consider friction during the rain because cement seems to be more slippery than tarred road

modify

Thanks to those that made it clearer to me
cool

Friction has nothing to do with the type of road construction method used, but rather the surface area condition of the finished road. All the contractors have to do is roughen the face of the road, then friction is ensured

2 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Mutemenot(m): 8:21am On Sep 27, 2018
Seen such in one of the African countries but the differences are much. They used about 2 inches asphalt to cover the concrete, the road is absolutely very strong and reliable
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by EternalTruths: 8:22am On Sep 27, 2018
AdeMavrodi:
It started by dangote. Cement road is also on Obajana to Kabba road in Kogi state and it's constructed by Dangote construction. Pls note that it is an extremely expensive project not economically viable in Nigeria

How much does it cost to build a kilometer of concrete road in Nigeria.?
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Fawklicant: 8:22am On Sep 27, 2018
It's a good idea but I have some reservations about it.
One is frictional drag on the vehicles. Frictional resistance on the tyres will be greater thereby slowing the car down considerably requiring the driver to apply more torque to move faster with increased fuel consumption as the attendant effect.

If it is coated with asphalt, then it would still be vulnerable to faults and cracks hence potholes would surface in no time. Though the depth of the potholes won't be as deep as using asphalt on compacted earth.

The wear on vehicle tires would be much more due to increased friction. Such technology as well as the use of interlock should be limited to inner city roads like streets and all because of durability. It's use on the highway and interstate however would have higher economic disadvantages especially on users as millions would be spent daily by users on car maintenance.

Just my humble opinion.

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Fawklicant: 8:24am On Sep 27, 2018
flyca:

So “country road” is supposed to be built anyhow? See the reason your post makes no sense that's why I cancelled it.

Even if he built a good country road, so? He is the governor! The one they pay tax to. The one with their Federal allocation! It's his job, why is it news worthy?

And your point is?
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by flyca: 8:24am On Sep 27, 2018
Fawklicant:

And your point is?
This road is not news worthy.
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by EternalTruths: 8:25am On Sep 27, 2018
laplace19:

The practice is to use a lower water-cement ratio making the concrete mix a little stiff(and not slippery) with higher compressive strength (minimum of 30N/m^2) achieved.

COREN accredited Engineer

How much does it cost to build a kilometer of concrete road in Nigeria.?

2 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by emmygzy(m): 8:27am On Sep 27, 2018
Acidosis:
Road without storm water drain?
Road connecting cities or town long distance apart don't usually have drainages except maybe where its prone to flood. Don't you watch American films? If you do, you see a lot of roads without drainages, roads that connects towns or cities such that you drive a long distance with bushes left and right. Its developments that blocks the flow of water, and since theres no development along those roads i.e bushes the water will find their way.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Fawklicant: 8:27am On Sep 27, 2018
Mailthaddeus:

It's not a must that all roads must have drains, especially in rural highway with low flood susceptibility. Even in the USA, such roads exists

Please tell some of these folks. Storm drains and drainages are mounted on select portions of the road not all.
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Fawklicant: 8:31am On Sep 27, 2018
flyca:
This road is not news worthy.

You shouldn't have opened it then. Besides, that wasn't my grind with you so don't deflect.

To the op, it's news so don't take it away from him. Izit your posting
People are learning from the thread already so chill Einstein.

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by flyca: 8:35am On Sep 27, 2018
Fawklicant:

You shouldn't have opened it then. Besides, that wasn't my grind with you so don't deflect.

To the op, it's news so don't take it away from him. Izit your posting
People are learning from the thread already so chill Einstein.
The caption was interesting. And I opened to see the details. Alas, death trap road. However, the more appalling thing seems to be the dumb skull defending it. # Pukes
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by SeriouslySense(m): 8:36am On Sep 27, 2018
laplace19:

The practice is to use a lower water-cement ratio making the concrete mix a little stiff(and not slippery) with higher compressive strength (minimum of 30N/m^2) achieved.

Sounds interesting, what is the significance of the compressive strength
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by EternalTruths: 8:38am On Sep 27, 2018
Fawklicant:
It's a good idea but I have some reservations about it.
One is frictional drag on the vehicles. Frictional resistance on the tyres will be greater thereby slowing the car down considerably requiring the driver to apply more torque to move faster with increased fuel consumption as the attendant effect.

If it is coated with asphalt, then it would still be vulnerable to faults and cracks hence potholes would surface in no time. Though the depth of the potholes won't be as deep as using asphalt on compacted earth.

The wear on vehicle tires would be much more due to increased friction. Such technology as well as the use of interlock should be limited to inner city roads like streets and all because of durability. It's use on the highway and interstate however would have higher economic disadvantages especially on users as millions would be spent daily by users on car maintenance.

Just my humble opinion.

The only thing missing, is the absence of Asphalt as a finishing material with concrete blocks at the edges to help increase the compactness of the Asphalt and in turn prevent pot holes from arising.

@ laplace19 have you guys tried the use of concrete blocks at edges on concrete roads in your research to see the impact on the compactness of Asphalt especially in preventing pot holes.
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Grupo(m): 8:39am On Sep 27, 2018
lexy2014:
oya explain what u read

Hahaha. Even me self no know wetin I read.
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Fawklicant: 8:43am On Sep 27, 2018
flyca:

The caption was interesting. And I opened to see the details. Alas, death trap road. However, yhe more appalling thing seems to be the dumb skull defending it. # Pukes

It's actually very easy for an empty barrel to make real noise because that all it knows how to do.

Every argument on this thread flies over your head because you can't contribute meaningfully...it's above your exposure level. Now you are trying to engage me on the news worthiness of an op's thread? Asides the news worthiness, please outline how the road is a death trap or kindly ignore me and move on.

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 27, 2018
flyca:
Jos lukat the nonzenz! angry
So this is what we are suppose to be celebrating in Nigeria OP! This road is death trap!

Any road less than 50km is not worth celebrating!

Any road less than 200meters width, with no corridors, no side walks, no streetlights, no interchanges, no highway direction boards, no road markings, no pavements, no drainge is not news worthy!

OP, This is 21st century. Building a road is no innovation. The internet is a very broad network consisting of millions of users within and outside your narrow brain range. Please stop disgracing us!

You dey mind them ?

But the technology is good, but the governor is supposed to do a better job. Drainage is needed, and all he needed was to replace butimen with cement and construct a nice road with gutter. But he bleeped up in attempt to show the 'thickness' of the cement to justify his inflated budget.

I love politicians, because they can lie, and steal without being jailed. I will like my kids to be politicians, but for me, my destiny is to have politicians in my pocket.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by Graciousnaija: 8:46am On Sep 27, 2018
Road without sidewalk and drainage? Why will the road not start cracking off from the sides!
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by flyca: 8:47am On Sep 27, 2018
Fawklicant:

[s]
It's actually very easy for an empty barrel to make real noise because that all it knows how to do.

Every argument on this thread flies over your head because you can't contribute meaningfully...it's above your exposure level. Now you are trying to engage me on the news worthiness of an op's thread? Asides the news worthiness, please outline how the road is a death trap or kindly ignore me and move on.
[/s]
I've been on Nairaland since 2006!
I am a well seasoned and practicing engineer. I have travel to 4 continents and tens of countries wink. I celebrate success when I see it. I am no empty barrel. Mediocrity is what I don't tolerate.
Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by muzari: 8:51am On Sep 27, 2018
NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE ROAD DOES NOT HAVE PEDESTRIAL LANE AND IN THE CASE OF EMERGENCY EITHER BY RECKLESSNESS OF INCOMING DRIVER, NO LAYBACK TO FALL BACK DUE TO THE THICKNESS OF THE ROAD

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere by bixton(m): 8:52am On Sep 27, 2018
Godyke:
The down side of this technology is that it causes tyres to wear out easily than normal tarred road. A friend who went there to work with his car came back complaining of how the road has been wearing out is tyres under short period of time

Apologies but please kindly check the tyres of your friend if they are not yet expired. Check the expiration code by the sides.

Concrete roads are done in most communities in Bayelsa State. So it's not new.
They should just ensure that the surface is not too smooth.

The only problem I have with this road as shown on the pix is that the sides are exposed. They should use sand/laterite to lap the sides of the concrete so it does not wear out too soon.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atiku Arrived Owerri Airport For Abia Campaign Rally-photos / Donald Duke And Wife Visit Buhari (photo) / More Boko Haram Fighters Surrender To Troops (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.