Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,183 members, 7,811,464 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News (2037 Views)

Bayelsa Will Become APC State Soon -oyegun / Enugu Will Become An Oil-producing State Soon / CCTV Security Cameras Coming To Lagos State Soon! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Hardtalk: 10:16am On Jul 09, 2010
Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children

Author: Date: Jul 7th, 2010. | Category: Metro, News. | Follow comments: RSS 2.0. | You can leave a response below. |

If the Criminal Law Bill currently being deliberated by the Lagos State House of Assembly sails through, then many parents in the state would face various prison terms for beating up their kids.

The bill has prescribed prison terms for various offences including the beating or flogging of children by their parents.
The bill also sees the maltreatment of animals as a criminal offence while the culprits are liable to imprisonment.
It also seeks to legalise abortion but this is limited to incidents of rape and incest.

This was made known at a public hearing on the bill for a law to enact rules on criminal conduct, regulate public order and for other connected purposes with the title: “The Criminal Law of Lagos State 2010”.
The bill, if passed into law, would also promote an orderly society, foster collective obligation and duty towards the preservation and protection of life and property.

It would also discourage and deal with conducts that unjustifiably and inexcusably inflict or threaten substantial harm to individual or public interests.
The bill also seeks to look at persons whose conducts indicate that they are disposed to commit offences.
The bill which is divided into nine parts, 48 chapters and 414 sections, classifies offences into three types namely: felony, misdemeanours and simple offences.

Section eight of the bill defines felony as “any offence which is declared by law to be a felony, or is punishable, without proof of previous conviction with death or with imprisonment for three years or more.
“All offences, other than felonies and misdemeanours are simple offences.”

However, some Lagosians who attended the public hearing advocated for the abolishment of capital punishment, life imprisonment, and called for the legalisation of abortion in cases of incest, rape, HIV/AIDS and other unusual circumstances.

According to them, the maximum prison sentence for offenders should be put at 20 years since criminals could be reformed and make meaningful contribution to the society after serving their prison terms.
Professor Adedokun Adeyemi of the University of Lagos, while commenting on the issue said, “death penalty does not affect the rate of criminality and Lagos in the 21st century should not adopt it.”
—Eromosele Ebhomele

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/07/07/lagos-parents-may-go-to-jail-for-flogging-their-children/
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Hardtalk: 10:17am On Jul 09, 2010
Lagos is becoming advanced countries grin grin grin. African culture will decide how potent this law will be, if passed into law!.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by oderemo(m): 10:28am On Jul 09, 2010
what a load of rubbish.
come and see what is happ. in south east london at the moment.
copy this copy that idea.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Ourturn(m): 10:29am On Jul 09, 2010
Fashola!, Fashola!!, Fashola!!! How man times did I call you? grin grin
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by xterra2(m): 10:51am On Jul 09, 2010
Rubbish!
What Kind of Bill is this? Useless one actually
In our culture we flog ur children and same goes to many african countries we must not copy the west where a son has the guts to cal his father a dirty mutha.fxckin bastard in front of everyone and sleep peacefully like there is no tomorrow
About the Animal mishandling animals? thats not important now so chicken is also an animal so if you manhandle it and cut it and eat dats manhadling?
And to the Abortion it must become Legal in cases like Rape,despoil and incest is correct
The abortion bil should be passed only
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by qrich: 11:01am On Jul 09, 2010
I am waiting for the day I will be arrested for flogging my kids.
I laugh in all Nigerian Languages grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Jakumo(m): 6:46pm On Jul 09, 2010
Governor Raji Fashola of Lagos State, Nigeria, propelled the innate sense of justice in which he has been steeped throughout his illustrious career as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria barrister at law, presides today over an administration that is on the brink of passing truly historic child protection legislation.   

In homes, workplaces and schools all over Nigeria, children are subjected to savage beatings and cruel torture methods that are all explicitly banned under the Geneva Convention statutes that relate to the human rights of captured war prisoners.   School teachers routinely inflict severe and permanent physical injuries on children in Nigerian classrooms, as they flail at their defenceless students with sticks, belt buckles and eardrum-rupturing slaps to the head, under the despicable pretext of enforcing "discipline."   

It is high time this reign of terror is brought to an end, and Governor Raji Fashola, ever ahead of his time, is leading the vanguard of the right thinking few, who seek the legal enshrinement of universal, inalienable human rights for Nigeria's children. Notice must be served to those child molesting sadists, who flagrantly abuse their positions of trust and moral responsibility as school teachers to beat and torture children, that they will be fired, then tried and JAILED for assault and battery, should they ever so much as lay a finger on a child in Lagos State, and ultimately,  in ALL STATES and jurisdictions of the Nigerian federation.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Otobroto(f): 8:55pm On Jul 09, 2010
This law will not see the light of day in any African soil. This is great distraction to this government and obviously, lack of work for the legislators.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jul 09, 2010
Fashola should reverse such law. .protection and upbringing of african kids is different from what is obtainable abroad.parents beat their kids not because they hate but because they wanted that discipline in them.i got spanked by my parents but today,it paid off big time.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by dayokanu(m): 9:17pm On Jul 09, 2010
Beating and disciplining a child should NOT be outlawed but inhuman beating should be outlawed,
SOme children have been beaten to disability by their parents which is inhuman
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Otobroto(f): 9:27pm On Jul 09, 2010
No parent will beat his/her own child to a state of disability. Obviously, whoever did that is not the right parent for that child. Beating a child in African society is never punitive, but corrective. That is why immorality is very high in these so-called advanced countries.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by phuckNL: 10:06pm On Jul 09, 2010
It is evident that most of you were beaten to the point were you lost half of your reading ability.
Na fashola dey pass bill? No be una elected people dey put the bill dia. Fashola's duty is to sign or veto the bill. Face the problem at hand and stop shouting Fashola.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 09, 2010
phuck_NL:

It is evident that most of you were beaten to the point were you lost half of your reading ability.
Na fashola dey pass bill? No be una elected people dey put the bill dia. Fashola's duty is to sign or veto the bill. Face the problem at hand and stop shouting Fashola.
what if it's an executive bill,will he veto it since you preferred to condemn those opposed to the bill.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by EzeUche(m): 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2010
What? angry

People should be able to flog their children as much as they want. I was flogged when I was younger and look at me. I LIVED! Try having an Igbo man as a father!
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 09, 2010
EzeUche:

What? angry

People should be able to flog their children as much as they want. I was flogged when I was younger and look at me. I LIVED! Try having an Igbo man as a father!
So you actually support this? shocked shocked

Thought you were like bk/babe90, untrained/undisciplined Nigerian pretending to be an AA. Thumbs up
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by honeric01(m): 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2010
phuck_NL:

Thank you, i was about to say this until i saw yours. is it fashola that makes law? it's no executive bill, it was a bill that was brought in by a rep (some rep actually), idleness is a disease o, can't these rep raise bills like "public urination bills", Highway hawkers bill'', smokey vehicle bill or even 1 shop church or mosque bill? lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by EzeUche(m): 10:23pm On Jul 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

So you actually support this? shocked shocked

Thought you were like bk/babe90, untrained/undisciplined Nigerian pretending to be an AA. Thumbs up

Yes I support this! I will be flogging my children as well.

And I am well trained. My parents put the fear of God into my siblings and I.

But why the dislike of AA? They are a nice people.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 09, 2010
EzeUche:

Yes I support this! I will be flogging my children as well.

And I am well trained. My parents put the fear of God into my siblings and I.

But why the dislike of AA? They are a nice people.
95% of my friends are AA, I dont dislike them. Just dont agree with the way they're brought up or the way they bring up their children.

Did that fear of God disappeared? undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by EzeUche(m): 10:40pm On Jul 09, 2010
^^^^^^^

You have jokes I see. Keep them coming. Sooner or later, one might actually be funny.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 09, 2010
honeric01:

Thank you, i was about to say this until i saw yours. is it fashola that makes law? it's no executive bill, it was a bill that was brought in by a rep (some rep actually), idleness is a disease o, can't these rep raise bills like "public urination bills", Highway hawkers bill'', smokey vehicle bill or even 1 shop church or mosque bill? lipsrsealed undecided
which member are we talking about here. Most bills addressing child/women arr mostly executive bill.all the same,i only wish fashola reject the bill because we need to preserve our moral and cultural values.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 09, 2010
lol

~Bluetooth:

which member are we talking about here. Most bills addressing child/women arr mostly executive bill.all the same,i only wish fashola reject the bill because we need to preserve our moral and cultural values.
Abi o
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 09, 2010
Anywaz, this topic has already been treated, use search button next time plz

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-475305.0.html
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by IbrahimB: 2:53am On Jul 10, 2010
I cannot beat my child again? Ah! The bobo go frog-jump tire be dat - at least I no touch am!
Or is that against the law too?
Nonsense. angry  Let them go to the UK and see absolute breakdown of law and order in the homes.
Kids as young as 10 years committing 'adult' crimes.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Tuyis: 5:04am On Jul 10, 2010
How about making it illegal for children under 16 not to be in school, and making sure there is quality education available to all of them.

You cannot beat your kids, but you can make them hawk tomatoes all day long when they are supposed to be in school.
Another misplaced priority in my opinion.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by bawomolo(m): 6:03am On Jul 10, 2010
flogging is a moral and cultural value? the hell
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by asiwaju: 7:59am On Jul 10, 2010
You got no right to beat your children,talk to them if they make mistake or being naughty,being a father or mother give you no right to beat defenceless child,that is not education or training,that is absolutely madness,we should stop abusing our children,many useless parents,who are not worthy to be called parents after drinking burukutu and ogogoro molest and flog their children for nothing.

Asiwaju.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by princekevo(m): 8:04am On Jul 10, 2010
Nigerians with a all the hard upbringing from school and home still remain one the most corrupt country with the highest rate of social evils, how much more when  they are being allowed to roam like ships without shepherd.
Who ever raise such motion should be suffering from copy mentality. Nigeria is a state with norms , value, Culture, and tradition.

Why would the government tell me how to bring up my kids, the same government will have the guts to give the child a jail term if he turns out to be a threat to the society. So why wont i do everything to make him a better person to the society?

This idiots at the house of assembly drive pass kids on the street of Lagos hawking for survival, they never raise any motion on how to save them, yet they want to save the once in a home under their full parents care. That is very funny.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by IbrahimB: 8:49am On Jul 10, 2010
asiwaju:

we should stop abusing our children
Asiwaju.

Beating a child, in a reasonable manner, in order to correct him is not abuse.

asiwaju:

talk to them if they make mistake or being naughty,being a father or mother give you no right to beat defenceless child

Some children no dey hear word grin. Abi, you never see that kain pikin before?

many useless parents,who are not worthy to be called parents after drinking burukutu and ogogoro molest and flog their children for nothing.

No, we're not talking of those senseless alcohol-induced floggings.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 10, 2010
bawomolo:

flogging is a moral and cultural value? the hell
call it whatever you like. . .flogging has always been a correctional tool in nigeria particular even among the educated folks and there is nothing anybody can do to change it.take it or leave it.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by hercules07: 1:02pm On Jul 10, 2010
I was flogged well as a kid and I have had cause to wield the stick once or twice on my kids though I have moved on to facing naughty corners and so on, I have seen the look of terror on the face of my kids when they are about to be beaten and do not like it. I will support this bill, we as parents should look for a better way to discipline our children without physical abuse.
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by KnowAll(m): 1:39pm On Jul 10, 2010
[size=14pt]There is a difference between beating and discipline, beating with evidence of self infliction has no place in any mordern society, even thus I went through that maybe once OR twice during my childhood and the fact that I can count it with my finger tips the number time this kind toture was inflicted on my being, speaks volume it simply justifies the irrelevance of this kind of brutality in today's world, it is evident this kind of vile bullying and outright cruelty should be halted and discourage in all it ramifications. ( half the time adults who cannot hold their own with their mates vent their fustrations on their poor kids)

The one that did the trick are the subtle displine antics like putting up your hands or kneeling down and closing your eyes, these are the drills that actually imbibe the do's and don'ts and how I should conduct myself in society not Koboko. In fact Koboko's should be outlawed.   [/size]
Re: Lagos State: Soon Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - News by honeric01(m): 1:59pm On Jul 10, 2010
KnowAll:

The one that did the trick are the subtle displine antics like putting up your hands or kneeling down and closing your eyes, these are the drills that actually imbibe the do's and don'ts and how I should conduct myself in society not Koboko. In fact Koboko's should be outlawed.   [/size]

And what would you do if your kids refuse to do all these? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ / Outrage Over Nigerian Gay Pastor In Uk / Constitution Backs President:Ogunlewe (He Misinterpreted The Constitution)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.