Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,499 members, 7,819,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 (42161 Views)

Forex Policy:Virgin Atlantic Will Not Pull Out Of Nigeria / Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas / Eko Atlantic City, Lagos. The Largest Project Executed In The Whole Of Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 6:34pm On Jul 16, 2010
Pennywise:

I yawwn. Another attention-crazed wannabe on NL. So much sound and fury. Unfortunately you have no issues for me to address. Try again.

Good to know I shut you up.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Jehu: 8:52pm On Jul 16, 2010
Great Venture.

Keep up the good work.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by member479760: 8:59pm On Jul 16, 2010
This is a good development, hope other states copy it.

Eko oni bajẹ!!! GO LAGOS.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 9:05pm On Jul 16, 2010
nakedall:

This is a good development, hope other states copy it.

Eko oni bajẹ!!! GO LAGOS.

Going by their kinfolks aso called leaders of tomorrow in this thread and on NL in general, I seriously don't think so. They are too visionless, backward and shallow minded to do anything beyond digging boreholes in their villages.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Horus(m): 1:12am On Jul 17, 2010
Most of the buyers of slots in the new Eko Atlantic City are to be dominated by foreigners or Nigerians?, foreign companies or Nigerians companies?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by proudly9ja(m): 1:17am On Jul 17, 2010
babapupa:

Lagos state government just teamed with a Chinese firm to build the first refinery in Nigeria in 30 years withing the LFTZ and they just commissioned a private power project to power Alahusa. They have investors building energy city in Badagry (The main energy hub in Africa)

The same poor eople you're talking about are collecting paycheck from LFTZ construction and hundreds of thousands more upon completion? The same poor people you're talking about are collecting checks from the Ten lane Badagry express? The same poor people you're talking about are collecting paychecks from the light rail program, the same poor people you're talking about are collecting paychecks from Ikoyi bridge and other projects going on around the state.

What do you really know about the Lagos state government and it's activities gan sef?

And Im sure you have noticed that noone is complaining about these other projects that you outlined. And noone is also complaining about this Eko Atlantic project in terms of its possibility of creating jobs and bringing in more money for government, what most people have complained about it the risks involved and if such the same aim could have been achieved using other parts of lagos. The fact is, if there are environmental issues in future, it won't only affect the people living or working on the island but the entire lagos so people are very much free to ask questions.

My own take on issues like this especially on NL where any dissenting voice is an opposition and should be 'sent to the gutters' is to siddon look. If in future, it all goes well, then good for us all, and if it doesn't, well we all will work together to rebuld.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 2:28am On Jul 17, 2010
proudly9ja:

And Im sure you have noticed that noone is complaining about these other projects that you outlined. And noone is also complaining about this Eko Atlantic project in terms of its possibility of creating jobs and bringing in more money for government, what most people have complained about it the risks involved and if such the same aim could have been achieved using other parts of lagos. The fact is, if there are environmental issues in future, it won't only affect the people living or working on the island but the entire lagos so people are very much free to ask questions.o

My own take on issues like this especially on NL where any dissenting voice is an opposition and should be 'sent to the gutters' is to siddon look. If in future, it all goes well, then good for us all, and if it doesn't, well we all will work together to rebuld.

But your environmental and safety concerns has been tirelessly addressed by the state, the developers and the contractors. They've done all kinds of above specification simulations and if I might add, it was done by the best folks in the world. The folks running their mouth off about these red herring concerns either lack intellectual curiosity and are too lazy to read and look at all the available info and data or basically have other personal issues beyond this project.

Unlike a lot of know nothing talking heads in this thread, I'm a Lagosian and I make it my business to follow my state's policies and actions. This is a solid project and I'm satisfied with every bit of safety and environmental issues provided and the fact tat they hired the best folks in the world to handle it is a major plus.

Just because some head in the sand and ill informed folks are running their mouth off doesn't mean the issues raised are still out there unaddressed. Do your research and acquaint yourself with the project, I did and obviously paddy lo did too.

It's really frustrating and disheartening listen to people even you talking about what's been addressed in this and other threads. Have you read this thread from the first page?

You can not blame us for other people's silly motives or inability to read and comprehend.

Now about the projects I listed. We sometimes have to let these clueless people know what's going on around the state since in their shallow minds, the state is not doing anything or the state is not looking out for the poor.

They want the state to do everything under the sun for everybody, even for the thousands of people trooping into Lagos everyday,

The question is, where in their mind do they think the state is gonna get the money from? from thin air. The state need projects like this and the ones I mentioned to allow people to collect paychecks and the state to collect taxes to better the lives of the masses and meets it's societal obligations.

I read some of these people's nonsense and shake my head like are they for real or just hopelessly delusional.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Pifa: 4:52am On Jul 17, 2010
Question for paddy_lo and babapupa: Is this project going to wipe out the Bar Beach?

My recollection of the VI area is sketchy, but I do remember going to the Bar Beach with my parents when I was young.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 5:00am On Jul 17, 2010
Pifa:

Question for paddy_lo and babapupa: Is this project going to wipe out the Bar Beach?

My recollection of the VI area is sketchy, but I do remember going to the Bar Beach with my parents when I was young. 

Not to my knowledge. It's actually going to help the Bar Beach by giving back to Bar Beach most of what it lost to the Atlantic.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Pifa: 6:28am On Jul 17, 2010
babapupa:

Not to my knowledge. It's actually going to help the Bar Beach by giving back to Bar Beach most of what it lost to the Atlantic.

Thanks for replying. I've looked at the map of the project, but I did not see the beach area. The Bar Beach I remember started at the end of the thoroughfare through Victoria Island. I remember that the road ran by the television station and the facility that printed Nigerian currency.

diversion: I remember going with my older siblings to a contestant's show for school children at the television studios on VI. When you went on the show, they put you as a challenger against the reigning champ. You chose from a list of categories from which you answered questions lobbed at you by the host. If you answered more questions correctly than the reigning champion, you knocked that person off and you became the new champ. Other contestant would come to challenge you until you faltered (or stayed as champ). Those were fun days. I don't suppose they still have that show on television in Lagos.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by topup: 3:37am On Jul 19, 2010
I kinda agree with eseagu, we're happy to see development, but this does not address the current issue of lack of proper infrastructure. This island will only address the minority, it will actually do NOTHING to alleviate the problems in mainland Lagos, because those hwo have to deal with it are those who won't be able to afford the luxury apartments and residential quaters on Eko Atlantic.

I wish the government will just accept responsibility and address the problems with traffic in the city, where there is in fact a problem. Embellishing the city with an attractive coastline can come afterwards.

babapupa:

But your environmental and safety concerns has been tirelessly addressed by the state, the developers and the contractors. They've done all kinds of above specification simulations and if I might add, it was done by the best folks in the world. The folks running their mouth off about these red herring concerns either lack intellectual curiosity and are too lazy to read and look at all the available info and data or basically have other personal issues beyond this project.

Unlike a lot of know nothing talking heads in this thread, I'm a Lagosian and I make it my business to follow my state's policies and actions. This is a solid project and I'm satisfied with every bit of safety and environmental issues provided and the fact tat they hired the best folks in the world to handle it is a major plus.

Just because some head in the sand and ill informed folks are running their mouth off doesn't mean the issues raised are still out there unaddressed. Do your research and acquaint yourself with the project, I did and obviously paddy lo did too.

It's really frustrating and disheartening listen to people even you talking about what's been addressed in this and other threads. Have you read this thread from the first page?

You can not blame us for other people's silly motives or inability to read and comprehend.

Now about the projects I listed. We sometimes have to let these clueless people know what's going on around the state since in their shallow minds, the state is not doing anything or the state is not looking out for the poor.

They want the state to do everything under the sun for everybody, even for the thousands of people trooping into Lagos everyday,
I believe this is the SOLE purpose of the government, if it was a sorority, it would be called that. The government is supposed to constantly try and uplift everybody.

The question is, where in their mind do they think the state is gonna get the money from? from thin air. The state need projects like this and the ones I mentioned to allow people to collect paychecks and the state to collect taxes to better the lives of the masses and meets it's societal obligations.
There is money, just ask those feeding off it, causing projects to halt.

I read some of these people's nonsense and shake my head like are they for real or just hopelessly delusional.
You shouldn't call other people's opinions (especially since they disagree with yours. . nonsense).

Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by paddylo1(m): 3:51am On Jul 19, 2010
There is money, just ask those feeding off it, causing projects to halt.
@topup
Lagos Population 17million
Lagos Budget(2010) $2.5billion

Johannesburg Population 3.8million ppl
Johannesburg Budget(2010) $3.4 billion

Do u understand the implication of the above figures?. .
and why contrary to your wild claims there is really no money. . . .

or to put it in clearer terms,Lagos is trying to maximize scarce dollars,by doing its best in the current realities
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by debosky(m): 1:57pm On Jul 19, 2010
topup:

[color=#770077]I kinda agree with eseagu, we're happy to see development, but this does not address the current issue of lack of proper infrastructure. This island will only address the minority, it will actually do NOTHING to alleviate the problems in mainland Lagos, because those hwo have to deal with it are those who won't be able to afford the luxury apartments and residential quaters on Eko Atlantic.

So what? When was this project described as the solution to ALL of Lagos' problems?

There are a number of other projects, some of which babapupa has listed, aimed at addressing mainland Lagos problems.

I wish the government will just accept responsibility and address the problems with traffic in the city, where there is in fact a problem. Embellishing the city with an attractive coastline can come afterwards.

Just what will constitute 'acceptance' to you? Is the light rail project, BRT and 10 lane highways in Badagry not all on the mainland? Are they not projects aimed at tackling traffic and transportation issues?

Since no other project is being stopped from proceeding because of Eko Atlantic, I don't see why this one should be delayed till all other issues in Lagos are solved first.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by gbagudara: 3:21pm On Jul 19, 2010
I kind of like the idea of this Eko Atlantic City. My "stomach is sweet" every time I think about it. It is a wonderful move. I congratulate everyone involve. I cant wait to have a place there I can call my own. May God bless our country Nigeria. Its too bad for those who harbor negative feelings. They can always move to Brazil.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 9:27pm On Jul 19, 2010
topup:

I kinda agree with eseagu, we're happy to see development, but this does not address the current issue of lack of proper infrastructure. This island will only address the minority, it will actually do NOTHING to alleviate the problems in mainland Lagos, because those hwo have to deal with it are those who won't be able to afford the luxury apartments and residential quaters on Eko Atlantic.

Are poor people in California are not lining up to rent or buy houses in Beverly hills or shop on Rodeo drive. Are they lining up to buy houses or rent in VI or Ikoyi?

One more time, valid opinions and ignorant comments are two different things. Ignorance means saying or commenting on what you know little or nothing about.  Inferring that the Government is not doing anything about Traffic in Lagos state is sounds not only ridiculous, it's pure Ignorance.

Ignorant

   
lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact
uninformed; unaware.
due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

Back to your post. You asserted that EA does not address the current issue of lack of proper infrastructure. Also that EA will only address the minority, it will actually do NOTHING to alleviate the problems in mainland Lagos, because those who have to deal with it are those who won't be able to afford the luxury apartments and residential quarters on Eko Atlantic.

Number one, EA is not a government or social project, it is not a housing project by the government for the masses, it's 100% private enterprise designed to develop the states tourism infrastructure and put the state on international tourist map. To make the state the financial and leisure capital of Africa. To decongest corporate and commercial areas like the Marina and VI. To generate  employment for hundreds of thousands of Lagosians/Nigerians. To allow the state to generate tons of tax money and reinvest the tax money and allow the state to perform it's primary responsibilities like building roads, bridges, water works, hospitals, schools, pay teachers and the civil service including street sweepers and many more. The government and Lagosians are reaping  huge benefits from this single project without spending a dime of the state's money.

Just to let you know, when the government sends the same tax money from this project to build roads in Bariga, to build schools in Ajegunle, to build hospitals in Agege, to build water works in Ikorodu, it means the whole of Lagos state including the people you're claiming the government is not looking out for are benefiting off the EA. Lagos Island is not even getting half of what the mainland is getting?

There is no means of transportation that the Government of Lagos State is not addressing. They are developing a light rail system to transport more than a million people in a single day, BRT is there with hundreds of modern/comfortable buses, New taxi system is out there, they are developing water transportation and building jetties all over the place, they have many freeways and bridges under construction including the only TEN lane freeway in Africa with inbuilt light rail and BRT system, even a  new state international airport is on the table.

Now, when hundreds of thousands of Lagosians working in and around EA strolls to the bank to cash their checks, pay their rent, put food on the table, pay their kids school fees, perform their civic obligations by paying their taxes which in turn allows the Government to invest in more social infrastructures and improve the quality of life of the citizenry, do you call that not looking out for the people?

Also, how do you suggest the state broaden it's tax base, develop and maintain infrastructures without growth and investments like the EA? Keep taxing Lagosians and the same people you're claiming the state is not looking out for?

Like I said, I read some of these people's nonsense and shake my head like are they for real or just hopelessly delusional, including your mindless and Ignorant post.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 11:50pm On Jul 19, 2010
Even Fashola's wife is in on the action,

Fashola’s wife commissions projects in Apapa-Iganmu LCDA

THE wife of Lagos State governor, Mrs. Abimbola Fashola, has commissioned some developmental projects embarked upon by the Apapa Iganmu Local Council Area. Mrs. Fashola, while commissioning drainages and roads at Immam Raji, Adeleye and Bonny Streets, urged the residents to pay their taxes.

Also commissioned are: a new compactor for effective waste disposal, advocacy bins to public primary schools, 2 units of 500kva transformers at Ekujimi and Amusu streets, the donation of new ultrasound scanning machine to St. Theresa Clinic, Amukoko.

Expressing his delight at the completion of the projects, the council chairman, Hon. Adedayo Adesola, said the projects are meant to boost the administration’s efforts in providing infrastructural facilities, waste management and capacity building.

He called on the residents of flood prone areas to liaise with the council to work out a mutually beneficial approach to solving the problem.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 11:52pm On Jul 19, 2010
Lagos to spend N400m on abbatoirs

By Olasunkanmi Akoni & Monsur Olowoopejo

Lagos— Governor Babatubde Fashola of Lagos State has approved N400 million for the construction of two standard abattoirs which are expected to be ready within 12 months.

The Commissioner for Agriculture and Cooperative, Mr. Kolapomoye Ajiboso, who made the disclosure at his Alausa, Ikeja office, said the move was part of the government’s effort to increase food production and availability in the state as well as make meat production safe for human consumption.
Locations

The abattoirs, to be located at Ologe in Araromi-Ale to service the Badagry axis and Achakpo in Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Council, will come with facilities for slaughtering 1,000 cattle daily.

He further disclosed that two other abattoirs at Ikorodu and Epe were awaiting approval from the state government
Meanwhile, the government has issued a two-week ultimatum to owners of illegal structures and squatters at the Oko-Oba abattoir in Agege to vacate the market premises or face prosecution.

Ajiboso said the move was part of the government’s measure to reduce the spread of contagious diseases and money spent on health care.

The state government also warned operators of illegal slaughter slabs in the state to desist from the act saying, “the state only has seven approved slaughter slabs in the state.”
Approved abbatoirs

Approved slaughter slabs include Matori, and Coker Aguda among others.
Ajiboso handed out the ultimatum ahead the planned demolition of squatters and illegal structures at the abattoir, lairage and animal market at Oko-Oba, Agege.

He said it was the only way the state government could give the area a face-lift and make the place compete with other abattoirs in other parts of the world.

His words: “All squatters within the abattoir and lairage complex, the animal market in the state are advised to vacate the premises of the Abattoir and animal market as well as dismantle all illegal structures they have erected within the market.

“If after two weeks of issuance of this directive anyone is still found staying or occupying illegal structure or shanties within the above mentioned facilities, Lagos State Government will have no option than to take appropriate action to deal with such illegal occupiers and their illegal structures.”

He warned that Oko-Oba market is not a place of abode for all kinds of people as it is presently the case at Agege Abattoir, lairage and animal market, hence they must vacate the place immediately.

He explained that whenever those cattle marketers come into the state to transact their businesses, they refuse to go back to their state, instead they choose to remain within the market premises.

Chairman of the state Special Task force, Superintendent Bayo Sulaimon, said the plan to develop the place into a world class abattoir had been in process since April. He urged squatters to heed the government’s advice.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 12:00am On Jul 20, 2010
Fashola commissions six major projects in one day

All Lagos Mainland

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Thursday commissioned six different projects in various spheres like housing, healthcare, potable water and transportation with a promise that things can only get better for the residents of Lagos.

Speaking during the handing over of the 256 units of twin two and one bedroom flats in Igbogbo IIA to the people, Governor Fashola promised that government would soon unfold a mortgage scheme which would allow people who pay a 30 percent deposit for a home to own it by paying over some years.

Governor Fashola stated that the present administration would also ensure that everybody who lives in Lagos would be able to afford a home. ‘’We want to create a new class of home owners in Lagos State”, he said.

The Governor said he will ensure that only those who intend to live in the homes benefit from the scheme by preventing profiteers and speculators from abusing the scheme by buying and reselling.

The Lagos State Governor said the Igbogbo scheme which is also equipped with a Police Post would serve as a model of such buildings across Lagos, adding that the Police Post would also help to bring the law enforcement agents closer to the people as it has helped achieved in several overseas countries.

The Lagos State helmsman said the Igbogbo housing scheme is a vote of confidence for Nigeria’s local contractors as the houses were built 100 per cent by them.

At the handing over of the Maternal and Child Care Centre (MCC) in Ikorodu, the Governor said three out of the eight MCC have been completed in Isolo, Ifako Ijaiye and Ikorodu .

I just hope the dumb and Ignorant folks running their mouth about the State neglecting the mainland acquire knowledge before opening their mouth.

Almost most of the projects commissioned so far this year are on the mainland.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by PapaBrowne(m): 12:04am On Jul 20, 2010
A SINCERE OBSERVATION AFTER READING THIS THREAD

Reading through this thread, you would obviously see that there is a disparity between the intelligence of those against the project and those for the project.

Protagonists(those for the project)
It is easy to see that the protagonists are well read, understand development issues and are very good at articulating their views.
Their diction is sound and their speech is clear. You read their posts and you learn a thing or three from it.
Need I say more?

Antagonists (those against the project)
For the antagonists, it is pretty obvious from their posts that they love their country. They would really love to see the standard of living and quality of life improve. However, you can easily detect via their postings that they haven't studied enough to understand the theories of development or the policies required to drive growth. They aren't well read enough in the issues of development which I think is permissible given that it might not be their area of endeavour.
Sadly also, they are not good at articulating their points. While some of the antagonists do have good diction, it is apparent that puuting it to appropraite use is a hard task for many.

Now, I 'm not sure why the more intelligent are likely to support a project of this nature and the less intelligent likely to do otherwise.
I can safely assume however that it is a function of "Circular cause and consequence". That is to say the same factors that caused the intelligent to be intelligent is the same  factor that caused them to support the project. Same goes for the antagonists. Same factors that induced low intelligence are same factors that inhibit their abilities to see the benefits the protagonists see.

My ADVICE to Protagonists: Sympathise with the antagonists for their knowledge is limited.
My ADVICE to Antagonists:  Up your game, expand your knowledge base. Or better still, learn form the Protagonists.

I no bi teacher I no dey mark WAEC. It is just an honest observation.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 2:40am On Jul 20, 2010
PapaBrowne:

A SINCERE OBSERVATION AFTER READING THIS THREAD

Reading through this thread, you would obviously see that there is a disparity between the intelligence of those against the project and those for the project.

Protagonists(those for the project)
It is easy to see that the protagonists are well read, understand development issues and are very good at articulating their views.
Their diction is sound and their speech is clear. You read their posts and you learn a thing or three from it.
Need I say more?

Antagonists (those against the project)
For the antagonists, it is pretty obvious from their posts that they love their country. They would really love to see the standard of living and quality of life improve. However, you can easily detect via their postings that they haven't studied enough to understand the theories of development or the policies required to drive growth. They aren't well read enough in the issues of development which I think is permissible given that it might not be their area of endeavour.
Sadly also, they are not good at articulating their points. While some of the antagonists do have good diction, it is apparent that puuting it to appropraite use is a hard task for many.

Now, I 'm not sure why the more intelligent are likely to support a project of this nature and the less intelligent likely to do otherwise.
I can safely assume however that it is a function of "Circular cause and consequence". That is to say the same factors that caused the intelligent to be intelligent is the same  factor that caused them to support the project. Same goes for the antagonists. Same factors that induced low intelligence are same factors that inhibit their abilities to see the benefits the protagonists see.

My ADVICE to Protagonists: Sympathise with the antagonists for their knowledge is limited.
My ADVICE to Antagonists:  Up your game, expand your knowledge base. Or better still, learn form the Protagonists.

I no bi teacher I no dey mark WAEC. It is just an honest observation.

Great analysis,
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by ezeagu(m): 3:27am On Jul 20, 2010
A 5 year old can tour the streets of Lagos when this project is finished and we'll see if they'll be 'intelligent' enough to ignore the huge slum opposite Eko Atlantic. We can see Lagos is learning well from Mumbai so it's all good if the city matches anything foreign, next is Dubai! As for all of you calling people against your idea stupiid, good luck with you because you are obviously so brilliant as to work out things for the rest of us, even simple things we can see in front of our faces like how Eko Atlantic is going to do -natting- for Mainland Lagos except to expand 'big man' playground.

Wise Ones, when you're finished, go and build a yacht club in Makoko, Yes! But don't tell the investors what to do because you don't want socialism! They'll have to gradually work towards that for themselves, because there is no such thing as a deal or a partnership any more.

Toronto, Tokyo, New York, those are the places Lagos is on level with, obviously, with this project (and with the amount of "intelligent people" comparing the cities), so yes, carry on building and building away from anything that even looks like Mainland Lagos trying to avoid the problem. After all this is private and the government was so shocked when this project was proposed, I mean, they had no idea someone was going to come and rescue their lost coastline. They couldn't do anything but give away the Atlantic even if they didn't want to because they are not socialist! Good government!

We will all worship praise the government or shut up, if you are from another part of the country and you say anything that even sounds like criticism. . . . What!!!. . . .  . you are jealous!!! Lagos [s]Nigeria's commercial centre built and contributed to by every part of the country[/s] has nothing to do with you, like the intelligent "protagonist" (na story) have pointed out. Good, this is how other successful countries treat governments that are barely doing their job, if they make pretty pretty decorations, defend them at all cost, especially if all those "Eastern haters" are writing anything. No country that is successful ever criticises its government.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by PapaBrowne(m): 4:04am On Jul 20, 2010
^^^^
@Ezeagu
Sincerely, I applaud your contributions. And I genuinely understand the points you have tried to make through the thread. However, your posts indicate you haven't thought through thoroughly, the policies you advocate. Yes, More should be done to alleviate poverty. I sincerely feel that Government is should do much more to create job friendly environments.

The need to focus attention on poverty alleviation should not eliminate the need to develop projects that would eradicate poverty. Mind you there is a difference btw poverty alleviation and poverty eradication. Eko Atlantic would contribute to the eradication of poverty.

I believe there are ways to encourage private sector to invest in social projects and I also believe that it could be very profitable.
There is something called Social Entrepreneurship. It usually focuses on improving the lives of those at the bottom of the pyramid by creating products and services that are suitable to their condition.

Now the problem is that Nigeria is not ripe for such investments. No investor would put money into social housing when there is no mortgage system in the country. No investor would build hospitals for poor people when there is no reliable health insurance scheme in the country.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 4:42am On Jul 20, 2010
ezeagu:

A 5 year old can tour the streets of Lagos when this project is finished and we'll see if they'll be 'intelligent' enough to ignore the huge slum opposite Eko Atlantic. We can see Lagos is learning well from Mumbai so it's all good if the city matches anything foreign, next is Dubai! As for all of you calling people against your idea stupiid, good luck with you because you are obviously so brilliant as to work out things for the rest of us, even simple things we can see in front of our faces like how Eko Atlantic is going to do -natting- for Mainland Lagos except to expand 'big man' playground.

You  must have peeped this trough your futuristic crystal ball. The project is no where done but you already have a sad bad bele outlook and idea per what it's gonna look like.

What is your point really? That the state should not solicit investments to generate money, create jobs and develop till the government borrow money and tax the citizenry to death for money to do all the things you think the government is not doing for the poor? Do you even know what you're talking about? How in heavens name your upside down reasoning gonna help the state or the same poor people you're pretending to give a s/hi/t about.

Why is it paining you? It's not like the government is diverting tax payers money to build EA. It's 100% private and a dime of tax payers money is not going into the project.

Why do you think governments jets from country to country on trade missions soliciting investments? To develop, create jobs and better the lives of their citizens.  

Do you even know the collateral positive effect of EA injecting tens of billions of dollars into the state's economy with hundreds of thousands of jobs?

You really need to quit the charade and stop laying your objections on the backs of poor lagosians. From the meaningless and absurd rubbish you've been posting, it's more than obvious you have other silly and petty issues beyond Lagosians and EA.

Bad Lagos with EA is better than bad Lagos without EA. Now what?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by joeyfire(m): 8:47am On Jul 20, 2010
@papabrowne

Great job analysing and rating the intelligence or lack of in posters.

Now what is your take on Eko Atlantic City Project?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by ezeagu(m): 1:26pm On Jul 20, 2010
PapaBrowne:

I believe there are ways to encourage private sector to invest in social projects and I also believe that it could be very profitable.
There is something called Social Entrepreneurship. It usually focuses on improving the lives of those at the bottom of the pyramid by creating products and services that are suitable to their condition.

The "intelligent" people said that is socialism, go back to page 1.

PapaBrowne:

Now the problem is that Nigeria is not ripe for such investments. No investor would put money into social housing when there is no mortgage system in the country. No investor would build hospitals for poor people when there is no reliable health insurance scheme in the country.

Exactly, if they haven't sorted all this out why are they jumping into a massive project to build luxury attractions, and with that same point how is Eko Atlantic going to eradicate poverty when the poor people themselves won't have hospitals or housing because the government hasn't sorted itself out? Or maybe Eko Atlantic would provide so much money to these poor people that they would be able to visit private hospitals? And what jobs would the majority do, Cleaning? Window wipers? Refuse disposal?

babapupa:

You  must have peeped this trough your futuristic crystal ball. The project is no where done but you already have a sad bad bele outlook and idea per what it's gonna look like.

Uhm, in case you did not understand, there is still going to be slum areas in Lagos when this project is finished, or maybe I'm wrong?

babapupa:

You really need to quit the charade and stop laying your objections on the backs of poor lagosians. From the meaningless and absurd rubbish you've been posting, it's more than obvious you have other silly and petty issues beyond Lagosians and EA.

It has become apparent that the post above is the only thing you have to contribute to this matter and that your main reason for defending this project is ethnically driven. A shame though.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by bkbabe97: 6:05pm On Jul 20, 2010
CAN WE PLEASE TALK ABOUT ANY DEVELOPMENTS GOING ON IN BIAFRA OR IS IT JUST KIDNAPPINGS, MURDERS AND ROBBERIES?! undecided
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by seanet02: 6:50pm On Jul 20, 2010
bk/babe97:

CAN WE PLEASE TALK ABOUT ANY DEVELOPMENTS GOING ON IN BIAFRA OR IS IT JUST KIDNAPPINGS, MURDERS AND ROBBERIES?! undecided
SEEMS THAT IS THE ONLY IDEAS THEY CAN USE TO CREATE WEALTH.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by MyneWhite1(f): 7:43pm On Jul 20, 2010
I have really learnt a lot from the debate on this thread. I hope the project is completed on time and is able to benefit the economy of the state. That way everyone is a winner.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 7:49pm On Jul 20, 2010
ezeagu:

The "intelligent" people said that is socialism, go back to page 1.

Exactly, if they haven't sorted all this out why are they jumping into a massive project to build luxury attractions, and with that same point how is Eko Atlantic going to eradicate poverty when the poor people themselves won't have hospitals or housing because the government hasn't sorted itself out? Or maybe Eko Atlantic would provide so much money to these poor people that they would be able to visit private hospitals? And what jobs would the majority do, Cleaning? Window wipers? Refuse disposal?

Uhm, in case you did not understand, there is still going to be slum areas in Lagos when this project is finished, or maybe I'm wrong?

It has become apparent that the post above is the only thing you have to contribute to this matter and that your main reason for defending this project is ethnically driven. A shame though.

After 11 pages of your rudimentary and pointless insinuations, you are yet to articulate how and why this project is not good for lagosians. You keep repeating how the government is not sorting out something and jumping into this project. But please let me ask you a few questions and finally arrest your concerns.

1. How and in what way is this project not good for Lagosians?

2. Is it your believe that the government should not allow private investments within the state till every soul in the state of Lagos is out of poverty?

3. In what way will this project prevent the state from building roads, bridges, hospitals, pay pensions, pay teachers, pay road cleaners and maintain state infrastructures?

4. What do you want the government to sort out before allowing investments and creating jobs?

5. Is it your believe that the government of Lagos state is not building hospitals or building low cost housing for Lagosians?

6. What do you think the Lagos state government is not doing and should be doing?

7. Is EA a government project or a private project?

8. How is EA preventing the government from carrying out it's statutory obligations like attending to the needs of Lagos state?

9. Is collected tax money from EA good or bad for the government of Lagos state and  Lagosians?

Answer these questions if your concerns are genuinely about the state of Lagos and Lagosians.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 9:10pm On Jul 20, 2010
Still waiting for my answers,
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by ezeagu(m): 12:07am On Jul 21, 2010
Since the questions above signal the repetitiveness of this thread, I'll leave you with one answer so this thread can end:

"Its a project for the benefit of u and all nigerians that can afford to reside there."
- One of the "intelligent" "articulating" "well read" members of Nairaland.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Mariory(m): 12:25am On Jul 21, 2010
ezeagu:

"Its a project for the benefit of u and all nigerians that can afford to reside there."
- One of the "intelligent" "articulating" "well read" members of Nairaland.

Must you live there to beneit from it? Do you always live where you work? Do you always live where you shop? Do you always live where you go to enjoy leisure activities? Do you always live where you spend money? Think outside the box fellow Nigerians. Think!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Governor Abiodun Constructs Sango Ota-Ijoko Road; Reconstructs Ota Tollgate / Lady Involved In Ghastly Accident Moments After Taking Selfie In A Keke. Photos / Harrison Chinedu Confirmed By Guinness World Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.