Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,815 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) (8765 Views)

Enter The "King Of Lamba" Writing Competition- Writertain Writers' League / Writertain Writers League (instruction And Discussion Thread) / Writertain Writers League .... Registration Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 7:15pm On Nov 12, 2018
Divepen1:
Shewrites picked
2. Juininho
5. Generica

12. Drdrewise
17. Jazminynne
7. Thewriter2018
11. Atayis

Audreytimms

3. SenhorSean
4. Peacesamuel94
14. Firstgentleman1
18. Missnande
20. Vivypretty
16. OluwabuqqyYolo

Royver

6. Divineroyalty
8. MisterRuk
10. Frankenstein
9. Dutch12
19. Kusibe77
15. Devilmaycry

Please, let the first pairings begin

Please, you'll post this here...
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2018
dutch12

They say the grass is green on other side but I just found out it isn't. If anyone had told me months ago that I, Ejero will be a slave to one Goddamn Arab man in Malaysia. I will slap the person on both cheeks but here I am, lying on the dirty floor as a slave.
The steel door opened and a hunky Arab man entered, grabbed a woman by her hair and dragged her out. Every day, someone is being dragged out of the cage to God knows where. Will I ever make it out of here alive?

vs

Frankenstein
Fighter

“Clear!”

The defibrillator hummed and jolted me. My mind flashed.

Mummy had warned me about following strangers to their house, but it’d been Bayo who’d taught me fractions and called me ‘Liddle one'.

I’d tried to push him off, but my 9-year-old body proved weak. He’d pinned me on his mattress.

But something had roared in me; Something unnatural.

I’d then bit, scratched, screamed. I was being battered but I’d fought, and I’d won, while he fled scared.

Two weeks later, I woke up in the ICU. Bayo had been caught and the Media was calling me Fighter Girl.

Cc Divepen
Cc Royver

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Royver(m): 9:11pm On Nov 13, 2018
Cc frankenstein
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by SheWrites(f): 9:42pm On Nov 13, 2018
Juininho vs Generica

drdrewise vs atayis

Jaminynne vs the writer 2018

for question, info
iyareserah@gmail.com
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 5:04pm On Nov 16, 2018
MisterRuk

The Gambler
One. night in Benin, a gambler and his wife were arguing.
His wife nagged:" You are such a useless man!Your gambling is fruitless! When will you find a job and start acting like a real man?"
The gambler replied: "You are right, I'll drop gambling and turn my wrongs into rights by starting with you, because marrying you is the worst gamble I ever did"
Then he brought out a gold ring, he wore it and touched his wife, she turned into a shiny gold statue. The gambler sold the statue to an art museum and he became very rich.

Vs
Divineroyalty

[On entering the interrogation room,Agent Leo felt something was amiss: Chief suspect smiling?

"Hello............"

"I'm here because I was seen yards away from the crime scene with a gun and weird clothes huh?" Suspect interrupted. "Well, I was coming back from my show. That's my costume."

He leaned forward, "There's been over thirty cold case murders dating back three years. Relocated here just a month ago. Ask the neighbours."

Was this an attempt to mess his head ?

Leo felt someone was watching him, as if waiting for him to make a move on the terrible details he was given.

Cc:
Royver
Cc Royver

Correction
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 5:05pm On Nov 16, 2018
Devilmaycry

I'm sorry I pleaded with my hands tied as I woke up but instead recieved a whip to my back.I was Unclad and been tortured by a lady whom I just met.
"Now kneel and bend forward"
she shouted.
I was left with no option but to obey,how did I get myself into this mess?
Then it downed on me what I was into,she was coming with a strapon round her waist.Next I felt someone grabbing my waist from behind and slapping my ass.Trying to force that thing inside me.Ohh alcohol,if only I had listened to the voice of chibuzor.
vs
Kusibe77

2 Likes

Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 5:07pm On Nov 16, 2018
peacesamuel94

CRIME PANGS.
The hunger I felt then was different, gnawing. It was the kind driven, not just by the benign lack of
food, but by the even deadlier absence of the hope for food. I sought salvation from the goodly
Illusions of sleep, it did not come.The torment layed open like engraving in stone.
"Hunger Cannot kill a man", Baba says. And I never doubted Until then. Sleep had forsaken me. And Baba too.
So I had gone out, bearing emptiness in my belly, the intention to steal in my mind.
It was how I ended in the Police net.

Missnande

Drabble Entry

'Uloma can not kill me' Mama said vigorously as if trying to convince herself. I knew she was anxious from the darkening in her crease. My sister had really outdone herself this time, coming back from NYSC with the intention of marrying a Hausa chief!
Papa called it her madness in a good way and it was meant to take her far because when she makes a decision, there is no turning back.
The Fufu and Onugbu soup I had been demolishing happily began to lose its taste. I knew I had to talk to her immediately.
Cc

Audreytimms
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 5:10pm On Nov 16, 2018
SenhorSean

WITHIN MOMENTS
It was a cloudless day accentuated by the tender sleet. It was hard to believe that in a few moments, something bad would happen to me...
I was there filled with random thoughts like i'm running out of time to get my life together until he showed up.
The unknown man had a scrawny mouth and tender arms... He didn't look dangerous, not even his lanky appearance warned me of my fate.
I can still vividly recall the record coming down my feet like a pointy piano - smash. I felt my life slip away till i passed out.

OluwabuqqyYOLO
Baba returned oddly that night - no drumming, no fanfare. We had quickly gathered. Dende spoke first, we would no longer wait for Baba's death. We had then crept into his room, before the village would know he had returned, and had emerged with his limp body over Lamina's shoulder. In the morning, we had been summoned by the chief and as we sat, we had dreaded that our shallow grave had been discovered. But as the cheif spoke, with grieving eyes, we had found out that Baba had died in a motor accident on his way back the day before.

Firstgentleman1
TIME AND CHANCE
That day, Papa was disturbingly quiet; a demeanour uncharacteristic of him. He had been like that all day and everyone treaded cautiously. Then at dinner when Tade knocked down the enamel cup and papa didn’t bellow-in-rage, we knew something was amiss.
“The doctor says I have two months left to live”. Papa intoned at last, a quiver noticeable in his baritone voice. The silence in the room amplified until Mama let out a crowding wail.
That was two years ago and today at Mama’s funeral, Papa sitting beside me; I wondered the kind of twist fate played on us.

Vivypretty

My stomach rumbled while the parasitic worms bit into my stomach walls forcing me awake. It was 01:30am by my room's clock.
I crept down the corridor, trying not to wake my parents as I made for the kitchen.
I slid through the kitchen door which was ajar without causing it to squeak. Flicking on the light switch at the wall, I fainted. Pitch black darkness surrounded me as the arms of silence embraced me. I felt weightless as a feather as I hit the floor.
My ex lover, our gateman had been lying in wait.

Audreytimms
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 5:12pm On Nov 16, 2018
Juininho

Insomnia
Insomnia, again. I stood up and plodded to the sitting room where I started rambling through Stephen King. It was a knocking sound, at first, before it turned to a breaking one. My ears stuck out and I traced it to my compound's sewage slab; was someone interested in the decomposition of poo, I thought, chuckling. Well, I returned to King but dozed off before I Knew it. Morning came and my mum was on her way out when the landlord called her over a broken sewage. The scoundrel, I understood immediately, was about extorting his tenants yet again!

vs

Generica

Hundred Days of Thunder
It was the culture and practice of the Mulele people of the Red Forest. With red leaves wrapped around their waist, they danced in circles, chanting a tune. The song spoke of past ages, the time of long ago when brother knew brother and sky married earth. It was a strain that reminded one of the ancient time and its religion.
Ufundugu, the leader of the tribe, emerged from the trees. He sent out a terrifying ululation and there was an instant clap of thunder. So frightening were they that a woman often fell and died.
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 5:15pm On Nov 16, 2018
DrDreWise

It had been one of those evenings that they had met. Him, frurtrated; she, more frustrated. So, he had taken her home and introduced her as the maid. His wife, son and little Nimi had asked questions but he had tamed the tempest. And, so, under everyone's nose, the taboo had started, slowly at first, then fast, then pulsating, then hyperventilating. Their embers had blown furiously but largely veiled and out of that had come the will to be bold and free, of all hindrances. So, that day, he had nodded as she added poison to his wife's dinner.

VS

Atayis
THE JOY I NEVER HAD
The city glowed; dazzling in stable electricity, and the beautiful flowers; frequently.
The elegant skyscraping buildings were glassy, shining, and built at regular intervals; while the exterior designs were looking gorgeously in complete blueness.
Merriment triumphed my heart. A day spent, I became rich; I had houses, cars, valuable properties. My body glittered by hygienic food like new born babies enlivened with breast milk.
"Ekaaro o, ologi de o"the daily sonorous voice jolted me into reality.
"Dream!" I exclaimed.
I threw my bedbug - infested pillow angrily at the wall, and gave my flat bed a heavy blow.
" ouch!" I got injured.

cc: Shewrites
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 5:20pm On Nov 16, 2018
Jazmynne
Forlorn

I heard footsteps...
They are coming.

I imagine men in black hoods, baring wicked eyes and wielding ruthless machetes.

The footsteps have drawn closer.

Quickly draping a dress over my unclad body, I tiptoe behind the curtains.

But, my imagination was wrong. These are no men and they wear no hoods.

Only seconds ago did my ears not ring at the sound of marching footsteps?

The aliens discuss in whispers with Iya as she grins excitedly.

Oh that this curiosity had to finally be my undoing.

Nodding, the pot-bellied alien turns in my direction: "She too."
Suddenly, Iya's smile withers.

VS
Thewriter2018

The guardian

“...don't do this Maggie! Have mercy on me..,” Ada pleaded-Tears streaming down her cheeks.

Maggie pulled the gun at her face and smirked, “I warned you to stay away from Paul; He is mine but you won't listen.”

“I won't talk to him ever.”

“Haha too late bitch- Just Say your last prayers.”

Ada fell to her knees expecting the worst.

Suddenly, a loud bang followed by a thud erupted.

Ada opened her eyes to see Maggie lying in her own pool of blood. Someone had shot maggie but she didn't see.

She rose up and took to her heels.

Cc Shewrites
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 10:51pm On Nov 16, 2018
Divineroyalty:

This isn't my entry. Cc Divepen1 Royver
Corrected

1 Like

Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 6:06am On Nov 19, 2018
Hello, Divepen1, you're unusually off. I hope all is fine.
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by Divepen1(m): 8:07am On Nov 19, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Hello, Divepen1, you're unusually off. I hope all is fine.
Sort of. My phone has been having issues. I'll be consistently online by the end of the day.. Thanks anyway.
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by AudreyTimms(f): 9:11am On Nov 22, 2018
Divepen1:
peacesamuel94

CRIME PANGS.
The hunger I felt then was different, gnawing. It was the kind driven, not just by the benign lack of
food, but by the even deadlier absence of the hope for food. I sought salvation from the goodly
Illusions of sleep, it did not come.The torment layed open like engraving in stone.
"Hunger Cannot kill a man", Baba says. And I never doubted Until then. Sleep had forsaken me. And Baba too.
So I had gone out, bearing emptiness in my belly, the intention to steal in my mind.
It was how I ended in the Police net.

(I don't understand your use of capital letters in the middle of sentences. However, I like your use of words and you did pretty well. Kudos.)

Missnande

Drabble Entry

'Uloma can not kill me' Mama said vigorously as if trying to convince herself. I knew she was anxious from the darkening in her crease. My sister had really outdone herself this time, coming back from NYSC with the intention of marrying a Hausa chief!
Papa called it her madness in a good way (method to her madness) and it was meant to take her far because when she makes a decision, there is no turning back.
The Fufu and Onugbu soup I had been demolishing happily began to lose its taste. I knew I had to talk to her immediately.
Cc

Audreytimms

(I almost didn't believe you wrote this piece. I know you to be a good writer...well, from the previous competition. Maybe you faced every writer's dilemma- writer's block and decided to just pen down something. You didn't even edit well. What happened? I sincerely hope someone gives you another chance because I believe you just stumbled and fell but would be right back up on your feet if given a second chance. To be fair, I have to go with your opponent. Good luck.)

Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by AudreyTimms(f): 10:44am On Nov 22, 2018
Divepen1:
SenhorSean

WITHIN MOMENTS
It was a cloudless day accentuated by the tender sleet. It was hard to believe that in a few moments, something bad would happen to me...
I was there filled with random thoughts like i'm running out of time to get my life together until he showed up.
The unknown man had a scrawny mouth and tender arms... He didn't look dangerous, not even his lanky appearance warned me of my fate.
I can still vividly recall the record coming down my feet like a pointy piano - smash. I felt my life slip away till i passed out.

(Truth be told. I didn't feel this story. To me, it's sort of disjointed. I know you were limited by words but you could have done more. You tried and I give you kudos for your efforts. Well done!)

OluwabuqqyYOLO
Baba returned oddly that night - no drumming, no fanfare. We had quickly gathered. Dende spoke first, we would no longer wait for Baba's death. We had then crept into his room, before the village would know he had returned, and had emerged with his limp body over Lamina's shoulder. In the morning, we had been (were) summoned by the chief and as we sat, we had[b][/b] dreaded that our shallow grave had been discovered. But as the cheif spoke, with grieving eyes, we had found out that Baba had died in a motor accident on his way back the day before.

(I know you were reporting an incident but I feel you used too much 'had' in it. But the story was captivating with an unexpected twist in the end. Kudos.)

Firstgentleman1
TIME AND CHANCE
That day, Papa was disturbingly quiet; a demeanour uncharacteristic of him. He had been like that all day and everyone treaded cautiously. Then at dinner when Tade knocked down the enamel cup and papa didn’t bellow-in-rage, we knew something was amiss.
“The doctor says I have two months left to live”. Papa intoned at last, a quiver noticeable in his baritone voice. The silence in the room amplified until Mama let out a crowding wail.
That was two years ago and today at Mama’s funeral, Papa sitting beside me; I wondered the kind of twist fate played on us.

(Nice. I like the unexpected twist. You did well.)

Vivypretty

My stomach rumbled while the parasitic worms bit into my stomach walls forcing me awake. It was 01:30am by my room's clock.
I crept down the corridor, trying not to wake my parents as I made for the kitchen.
I slid through the kitchen door which was ajar without causing it to squeak. Flicking on the light switch at the wall, I fainted. Pitch black darkness surrounded me as the arms of silence embraced me. I felt weightless as a feather as I hit the floor.
My ex lover, our gateman had been lying in wait.

(You wrote it pretty well, though I didn't quite like the way you ended it. I wish you had made it more captivating. Maybe you found your mum and the gateman fooling around, a knife through your sister's heart or bleeding out after taking abortion or suicide pills, your brother and your male cousin in a compromising position, your brother dressed as a girl, your father performng a disappearing act or is an alien etc. Sorry, your opponent's story captivated me more. Kudos to you. Someone should please steal her o. Are we allowed to steal our former team members? I sure hope so)

Audreytimms

Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by AudreyTimms(f): 11:15am On Nov 22, 2018
Hmm. Another difficult time again. You all did well but I'm still trying to understand why some of you used capital letters to begin words in the middle of sentences. Is it a new style of writing? Didn't I get the memo? I made my picks based on syntax, depth of story, use of punctuation marks and whether I found the story intriguing or not. No hard feelings.

Picks
1. Peacesamuel94

2. OluwabuqqyYOLO

3. Firstgentleman1

Congratulations. I'm hoping I'd get to steal a female to balance my team.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:49pm On Nov 22, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
AudreyTimms, I was trying to stick to the past participle, hence the HADs. Thanks for the correction, you'll see improvements.
So, I made the cut?
Okay. I get you. I was just stating my own opinion though. Yep, you made it. Congrats.
Re: Writertain Writers League (entries And Judges Only) by SheWrites(f): 6:37pm On Nov 22, 2018
MY SELECTIONS

Juininho - Your story was interesting. Noticed a few incorrect puntuations and none at all in some sentences. I like the drama, make me wonder if the boy will tell his mum what he heard. But, I feel you rushed the story a little bit. It could be better.

Generica - Nice one. You took me back to ancient times. Good start, but no ending. Why?

Jazmyne - Very nice story, well written, filled with suspense, intrigue, my goodness, i am impressed.

Thewriter2018 - Well written, but an unexpected end. Nice twist. It could be better.

Atayis - Nice story and very down to earth. I feel your longing.

DrDrewise - Interesting. It could be better. Saw a few typos. Rushed work?

You all did very well.

I choose DrDrewise, Jazmyne and Generica

They had the pass mark when it came to Grammar, sentence structure, suspense and story flow.

Goodluck

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4)

As You Make Your Bed, So You Will Lie On Itm / Virgin Girl; My First Time! / **obinna**(a True Life Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.