Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? (3328 Views)

Believe Me, Seeing These (pictures) Will Make You Hate AGBAJE And AMBODE. / The Destruction of Black Civilization by Chancellor Williams / Tomb Art From Ancient Egypt: A Black African Civilization (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Ruq: 2:15pm On Jul 17, 2010
Am gonna post mine later let me see yours?
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Ruq: 2:23pm On Jul 17, 2010
Why i hate!

When i speak english am educated,when i speak yoruba,igbo,hausa, they say am illiterate!

If i wear Ankara they will say i don't look cooperate but wearing a suit makes me.

Civilization brought manners to eating i have too eat according to manners Bleep that!.

still more but me will be bak!
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by honeric01(m): 2:44pm On Jul 17, 2010
If i use my bare hands to eat eba or fufu, they say i am a village man except i use cutlery angry

If i decide not to top-in, they are i am not corporate enough, silly!!! angry

Having to tie rope on my neck just because i want to look corporate.

I am coming with more.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Ruq: 3:08pm On Jul 17, 2010
Ok why i like it.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by honeric01(m): 3:13pm On Jul 17, 2010
Girls can walk on the street 95% naked and still feels it's okay to walk naked all in the name of civilization.

A girl can completely make up to the extent that her parents won't recognize her again all in the name of cosmetics, thanks to civilization.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by ezeagu(m): 5:12pm On Jul 17, 2010
What do you guys understand civilisation to be?
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by sjeezy8: 5:22pm On Jul 17, 2010
wow- shocked shocked

I think you guys meant what you hate about being oyinbonized.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 17, 2010
What do you guys think civilization is? What civilization? You are either civilized or not and what makes you civilized depends on where you are. Being civilized has nothing to do with you language or food. You can marry a 12years old in Saudi Barbaria but in most other parts of the world, you can't. Your actions determine whether you are civilized or not depending on where you are.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by bkbabe90(m): 5:31pm On Jul 17, 2010
I hate it cus:

1. It allows Ibo men access to the internet, when they should be in the forest chilling and having convos with African bush monkeys.

2. It allows freaks like 006 the chance to prey on innocent lil baby gals by posting their pics to his hard drive/profile. craddle-robber!

3. It allows people like The Amaka to become the "ULTIMATE" stalkers

4. It gives "half-way-dead" folks like Eziachi the chance to spill their hate all ova the web!

5. It allows MENTALgong, Dede1 and co the chance to hurt the rest of the world mentally/visually with their grammatical nuclear bombs!
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Ruq: 6:16pm On Jul 17, 2010
Y'all sayin shit about this isn't civilization's fault should stop sayin shwt! Morons! If it isn't why eat with a spoon? Twerps! Just say what you hate and love about it!
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by ezeagu(m): 10:09pm On Jul 17, 2010
Ruq:

Y'all sayin poo about this isn't civilization's fault should stop sayin shwt! Morons! If it isn't why eat with a spoon? Twerps! Just say what you hate and love about it!

This is why I asked what you believe civilisation is. You do know your ancestors had spoons, right?
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by honeric01(m): 10:15pm On Jul 17, 2010
ezeagu:

This is why I asked what you believe civilisation is. You do know your ancestors had spoons, right?

And your ancestors used spoon to eat EBA, FUFU, AMALA, POUNDED YAM right?
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:27pm On Jul 17, 2010
I hate civilization cos it put herbalists/spiritualists like me outta jobs.

Back in the days, they made sacrifices for a good harvest: Civilization brought about fertilizers
Back in the days they depended on leaves for medicine: Civilization brought about Pharmacies
Back in the days we depended on the gods for justice: Civilization brought the judiciary (courts)
Back in the days the worshipped the gods: Civilization brought us Christianity
Back in the days we walked around butt Na.ked: Civilization brought us tight jeans (which is even worse)
Back in the days we walked miles to get water to drink: Civilization brought us pipe-borne water
Back in the days we depended on masquerades, folktales and festivals for entertainment: Civilization brought us Big brother, MTV Base and cable T.V
Back in the day we used barter to do trade and commerce: Civilization brought us Cheque books, ATM cards and western union.
Back in the days we trekked miles to get from one place to the other (thereby keeping us fit and healthy): Civilization brought us cars, trains and planes (thereby making us lazy and fat)
Back in the days we used post office to send letters and correspondences: Civilization brought us the internet, fax, GSM and DHL.
Back in the days we loved, craved and adored fat girls, Civilization brought us anorexia and bulimia.

I will be back. Need to make a sacrfice for someone.  wink
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 17, 2010
You are mistaking industrialization with civilization. Industrialization is not civilization.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:49pm On Jul 17, 2010
they are relative
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by bkbabe90(m): 10:53pm On Jul 17, 2010
9jaganja:

You are mistaking industrialization with civilization. Industrialization is not civilization.

Sorry, kid, they indeed are relative!
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by ezeagu(m): 11:26pm On Jul 17, 2010
honeric01:

And your ancestors used spoon to eat EBA, FUFU, AMALA, POUNDED YAM right?

What does this have to do with them having spoons? People who own spoons today, do they not eats those foods with their hands?

Okija_juju:

they are relative

bk/babe90:

How? undecided
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by metalgong5(m): 11:33pm On Jul 17, 2010
bk/babe90:

Illiterate Latino basta.rd . . . . . keep on exposing your imbecil.lity!! sad
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:36pm On Jul 17, 2010
CIVILIZATION: an advanced level of development in society that is marked by complex social and political organization, and material, scientific, and artistic progress
Microsoft® Encarta® 2008. © 1993-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

There.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by honeric01(m): 11:37pm On Jul 17, 2010
ezeagu:

What does this have to do with them having spoons? People who own spoons today, do they not eats those foods with their hands?

Can you stick to one place? you said your ancestors had spoons, i asked you what they used their "spoons" for, were they using it to eat eba, fufu, pounded yam or what?
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Ruq: 11:47pm On Jul 17, 2010
All this Mrons talkin about civilization! Like it or not it has helped alot and has also effed alot. Like okija juju stated.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by ezeagu(m): 11:55pm On Jul 17, 2010
civ·i·li·za·tion
   /ˌsɪvələˈzeɪʃən/ [siv-uh-luh-zey-shuhn]
–noun
1. an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.

from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/civilization

You people have been taught wrong.

Okija_juju:

Back in the days they depended on leaves for medicine: Civilization brought about Pharmacies

These same leaves are still used for "Civilization" pharmacies, including the ingredients from the chewing stick.

Okija_juju:

Back in the days we depended on the gods for justice: Civilization brought the judiciary (courts)

In places such as southeastern Nigeria, they had institutions such as Ekpe which was even called a 'Native court' by the British. Other 'native courts' included elder meetings.

Okija_juju:

Back in the days the worshipped the gods: Civilization brought us Christianity

Christianity is a bastardization of African beliefs. The Yoruba and Igbo had one God.

Okija_juju:

Back in the days we walked around butt Na.ked: Civilization brought us tight jeans (which is even worse)

How revealing is the Agbada or Ishiagu?

Okija_juju:

Back in the days we walked miles to get water to drink: Civilization brought us pipe-borne water

Or there was the local stream which was a few meters away. Or is you lived in a city like Bini you could go to the nearest storage of water.

Okija_juju:

Back in the days we depended on masquerades, folktales and festivals for entertainment: Civilization brought us Big brother, MTV Base and cable T.V

Big brother = masquerades, MTV Base = festivals, Cable TV = folktales. grin

Okija_juju:

Back in the day we used barter to do trade and commerce: Civilization brought us Cheque books, ATM cards and western union.

I doubt this is a barter:

Plus there were banks with savings, believe it or not.

Okija_juju:

Back in the days we trekked miles to get from one place to the other (thereby keeping us fit and healthy): Civilization brought us cars, trains and planes (thereby making us lazy and fat)

The Oba of Benin would disagree with you.

So would the Nok man.

Okija_juju:

Back in the days we loved, craved and adored fat girls, Civilization brought us anorexia and bulimia.

Past tense? Some would disagree with you, and not all African/Nigerian cultures/'sub-cultures' adored big women.

honeric01:

Can you stick to one place? you said your ancestors had spoons, i asked you what they used their "spoons" for, were they using it to eat eba, fufu, pounded yam or what?

Soup? Heard of it? Here:

http://www.jacarandatribal.com/productdetails.php?productId=448&categoryId=23
http://www.jacarandatribal.com/productdetails.php?productId=394&categoryId=23
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jul 17, 2010
They are not. You can have an industrialized nation of geniuses who are not civilized. If I create a train that carries me from here to China does that make me civilized? NO!! Will you call those who killed millions with weapons to take over their land civilized? Civilization is more of the way people behave with each other, what they do to each other. Someone commits murder with an arrow while the other did it with a gun. Bottom line is murder was committed and you can't judge one as being a civilized way of killing or not. When it comes to tools created by industrialization, it's what we do with it that matters not the tool itself. Let's say some people use train to run over condemned inmates only while others use it for transportation. Those who use it for transportation are more civilized of course.  Some use arrows for hunting while some use it to kill. It's what we do with industrialization that determines if we are civilized or not depending on where you are. Thanks
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by honeric01(m): 12:00am On Jul 18, 2010
ezeagu:

Soup? Heard of it? Here:

Soup? now can you explain to me why they have decided to start using spoons to eat EBA, FUFU, AMALA and POUNDED yam? Is it not because the whites feels it's wrong to eat with your bare-hands?

The big spoons was used to share soup in large quantity, not for eating.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by honeric01(m): 12:02am On Jul 18, 2010
Civilization is a way of reasoning to me, not what you created or what you invented.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by ezeagu(m): 12:08am On Jul 18, 2010
honeric01:

Soup? now can you explain to me why they have decided to start using spoons to eat EBA, FUFU, AMALA and POUNDED yam?

So Africans never ate any soup or anything with a soup-like consistence?  shocked

honeric01:

Is it not because the whites feels it's wrong to eat with your bare-hands?

"Whites" ate/eat toast, croissant, caviare, burgers, etc, with their hands. Some dipped bread into soup and ate.

honeric01:

The big spoons was used to share soup in large quantity, not for eating.

Anywhere you got this information? Because the spoons I showed you are obviously big enough for only one person.

Is industrialization really civilisation?

[img]http://sun.menloschool.org/~sportman/modernworld/chapter8/2005/fblock/jmosbacher/industrial-revolution-children-labor.jpg[/img]
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by honeric01(m): 12:13am On Jul 18, 2010
ezeagu:

So Africans never ate any soup or anything with a soup-like consistence?  shocked

"Whites" ate/eat toast, croissant, caviare, burgers, etc, with their hands. Some dipped bread into soup and ate.

Anywhere you got this information? Because the spoons I showed you are obviously big enough for only one person.

Guy, why are you confusing yourself? is eating with spoons a form of civilization or what are you driving at?
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by ezeagu(m): 12:16am On Jul 18, 2010
honeric01:

Guy, why are you confusing yourself? is eating with spoons a form of civilization or what are you driving at?

What are you saying now? It was you that said:

Ruq:

Y'all sayin poo about this isn't civilization's fault should stop sayin shwt! Morons! If it isn't why eat with a spoon? Twerps! Just say what you hate and love about it!

Mud House

Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by honeric01(m): 12:31am On Jul 18, 2010
ezeagu:

What are you saying now? It was you that said:

Well, some people think eating with spoon is civilization and those who eat without spoons are not civilized, if not, why should fast food joints always include cutlery when serving eba?
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:49am On Jul 18, 2010
honeric01:

Civilization is a way of reasoning to me, not what you created or what you invented.

Thats one way of looking at it.

The thing is we seem to be looking at civilization in too many angles. O.K how about we rephrase it and call it mordenization.

Is that better?

Cos I think thats the angle the OP was looking at.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Nobody: 1:55am On Jul 18, 2010
Okija. Civilization is a state of mind. It's not defined by industrialization or what industrialization produces but what you do with industrialization which is a state of mind. You can use civilization to define industrialization but not the other way around.
Re: 5 Reasons You Hate And Like Civilization? by Okijajuju1(m): 2:12am On Jul 18, 2010
9jaganja:

Okija. Civilization is a state of mind. It's not defined by industrialization or what industrialization produces but what you do with industrialization which is a state of mind. You can use civilization to define industrialization but not the other way around.

Lets look at the definition of civilization as stipulated in the dictionary.

civ·i·li·za·tion [sìvv'li záysh'n]
(plural civ·i·li·za·tions)
noun
1. highly developed society: a society that has a high level of culture and social organization
2. advanced development of society: an advanced level of development in society that is marked by complex social and political organization, and material, scientific, and artistic progress
3. advanced society in general: all the societies at an advanced level of development considered collectively
4. populated areas: places where people live, rather than uninhabited areas
5. civilizing process: the process of creating a high level of culture in a particular society or region
6. comfort: the level of material comfort that somebody is used to (humorous)

Microsoft® Encarta® 2008. © 1993-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Now lets check your state of mind and tell me if these people (Papau new Guinea) looked civilized to you;

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan Wants Gov Fashola To Be His Vice President In 2015 / Boko Haram: Military Launches 'operation No Mercy' To Rescue NE / Subsidy Removal: A Thread For Occupy Nigeria Season 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.