Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project (5502 Views)

Boko Haram: World Bank Allocates $800m For Rebuilding North East / APC Asks FG To Account For $800m Fund / Ghana Gas Project Now 100% Complete. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by sjeezy8: 5:24pm On Jul 19, 2010
its sounds crazy but honestly multinational companies arent really obligated to do anything beside-

1) pay taxes to the State/Fed Government
2) not degrade the community.
3) hire qualified indignes
anything thing other than that BS- all the multinational companies building schools, hospitals, scholarships -

If we had a serious Government in Nigeria mulinational national companies- woldnt have to do the Fed or State Govs tasks.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by CarlosVent(m): 8:38pm On Jul 19, 2010
dis is nice
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by demoore1(m): 8:41pm On Jul 19, 2010
Some of you guy are making stupid coments on this topic. In the whole wide world not only in nigeria, Any company cited in any community have it as an obligation to contribute in developing the host community. I worked in Agip well in Obiafu  and saw the CD by Agip to the community of obrikom and was impressed. Good road, steady electricity, employment etc. This community is in perfect peace with Agip and other companies should emulate them.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by ahf(m): 9:10pm On Jul 19, 2010
First, there is nothing wrong in a company giving back to the community in which it operates. It's a social responsibility !!

But where FG neglect it's duties, people cannot just decide that companies should solely solve all the problems? If so, then northerners should tell Peugeot Nigeria to fix all the roads in Kaduna or ask Unilever to repair all Ikeja roads??

LG chairman, State Governors, Fighting Senators etc - Those are the animals we should be holding accountable !!! Until we can hold our so called "elected leaders" to account, we have no direction.

Amazing that youths can demand settlement for projects that would open up their communities and even disrupt the work if not settled !!
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Ehoi: 9:27pm On Jul 19, 2010
teskyg:

This Naija Delt,there wahala to much.You want your son as president,you have it ,Amnesty,you have it,more allocation,you have it,and you still want more, Are you guys never tire of making trouble, always in the news, making noise,
There is a law in physics that says a moving object will continue its motion in a straight line forever unless an external force comes into play. The demands will continue and will just be increasing until something gives. grin
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by erico2k2(m): 9:33pm On Jul 19, 2010
guy here blaming the wome are just talking crap,FG dont hear no other language xcept steps like this, the poster on here saying stuff like the OIL COMPANIES pays states gov taxes etc, you aint having a clue of whats goingon down there,has anyone wondered what would realy happen if production of Oil and gas finishes in the Niger delta? now if you do you will also understand why FG should do these lil things to make the life of local folks easier.
In Sapele LGA there is a power generating station but the FG refused to step down the power supply in the town instead power had to be got far far away from another step down off ugheli, after loads of protest and threth to shut down the new IPPP project(new Gas Power Plant) they FG where forced to step it down,Now we all though phew, so this could be doen eh, why all these suffer for tha past 30 yrs,you guys should bear in mind that the primary livelyhood of these riverine people is fishing and all the fish in the river are dead from Oil exploration  and and mass polution, no what do you guys sugest they do eh?
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Acidosis(m): 9:58pm On Jul 19, 2010
9ja Deltannnsss again??
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Iysayah(m): 10:00pm On Jul 19, 2010
We keep arguing bak and forth ova dis issues.wen Ken Saro wiwa of blessed memory stood against this injustice, his own people betrayed him. Some leaders collected millions in hard currencies from these oil firms disguising as delegates of their communities.they fought Ken lyk mad Lions. These same leaders walk around with pot bellies covered in wrappars and hats Mungo Park could neva afford while their people die in abject poverty.JAMES ONONAFE IBORI WAS SHIELDED FROM THE EFCC BY HIS OWN PEOPLE WHO ARE DYING OF NEGLECT AND HUNGER. I neva realy undastood that action of theirs- a man stole billions from u and yet u protected him with your blood from justice? Now those old women who should be caring 4 their grand children are out their fightin a blind injustice. I could jst wish Abacha was alive. He would hv a ready answer 4 them.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by dayokanu(m): 10:23pm On Jul 19, 2010
I have worked in Escravos before and I wont blame the Oil company at all.

The pay taxes to the FG, The pay to state Govt pay to LG, Pay to Host community, Give Schorlarship to indegenes of the host communities and Jobs to qualified people from the host community.

I can tell you that I had a friend who is an indegene of Eleme and offered to sell an indege slot to work in a Oil company to anyone who is interested.

The Companies when they attempt to do this projects by themselves, They are blocked by the indegenes/ Youths who preffered to be settled.

If they give the money to the Leaders/chiefs, They would still have no development.

Most of the technicians who work at Escravos are indegenes of Delta and most of them Welders, machine operators earn a lot of money, more than most bankers.

One of them was my friend he had a house in GRA benin and drives a EOD he is barely 30yrs

What more can the Oil coys do

had sum xperience in Rivers during my NYSC years there, i served in a community where LNG paid them like 40 million naira, and the community leaders will share the money within them self, in this same community there is no electricity but they wont ask lng or whoever to provide for them all they wait for is LNG money to share everytime and they kept blaming FG everytime.
There is a bad road from Lagos bustop in portharcourt to ibeto cement factory, the chairman of the cement factory wanted to fix the bad road, the youth of that area actually stop the contractor and they demanded for 20 million naira from the chairman of the cement factory that he has to pay them before he can fix the road. the road he actually wanted to fix for them. but seriously communities in Niger Delta area lacks good leaders as well,

This kind of scenario is very common in those areas, What do you want OIl Coys to do about this.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by puskin: 11:11pm On Jul 19, 2010
All these protests. . . .those women haven't mentioned their real demands which is MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by chuqudy(m): 11:19pm On Jul 19, 2010
Ojigbijigbijigbi! These are women militants. The government should include them in the armnesty programme. May be 50,000 naira each for the women. If you no make noise government no go remember you. So, babies, girls, ladies, mamas over to you. Fight for your oil moni.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by mrkoma2012: 11:39pm On Jul 19, 2010
this is the same community where dat dude spent so much on his wedding
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Nobody: 12:28am On Jul 20, 2010
This is a classical case of transfer of aggression and at the rate, it's just a matter of time before supermarket & pure water factory are stomped and shutdown for not tarring the road of the streets where their businesses are located in the ND.

I am from the ND and if I recall correctly, the same attitude and mindset set-off this kidnapping debacle. where is your foresight Buffoons

Texazzpete & co keep painting the correct perspective but these cerebrally-challenged dudes(erico2k2, de-moore, mojounited, papabrowne & Pappij) would rather be emotional rather than rational. Wake up zombie circa 85% of oil revenue b4 tax go to Nigeria b4 tax (From the remaining 15% NNPC=7.5% Oil Coy= 7.5%- tax, Investment, SCD project, Scholarship). Maybe the oil companies are charitable org.

Odili-loving, Ibori-worshipping & Alam-adoring Dudes (i.e. erico2k2, de-moore, mojounited, papabrowne & Pappij) are the perfect goons the LG, SG & FG have failed to rise up to their responsibilities.

mschhhhhhhhh!
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Meldrick(m): 1:54am On Jul 20, 2010
The women have every right to do what they are doing and if anyone is kicking against it, you can stand up and invite the oil companies to your own community but unfortunately the oil comanies won't come cos oil no dey your side. grin grin

Seriously, those who say the women should direct their grieviances to FG and the State Govt might not be wrong but the women have no choice that use the only arsenal they have(stopping the project). By this action they have indirectly fought the FG and State Govt because these are projects that are very dear to the Govt. The govt will have no choice than to meet up their demands.

It's quite wrong for you to talk of generating power for the country without starting from the host community. A lot of people criticising these women will do worse if they are in their shoes but people just talk trash and type rubbish when they don't understand what is happening there.

texazzpete:

The ONLY bandwagon in the Niger Delta is to blame the oil companies for EVERYTHING. And that's just plain silly. It's also the reason why the region remains backwards and poor.

My friend shut up there . If you have nothing to say keep quiet or blow a whistle.

None of them have blamed the oil companies but they are been diplomatic. That project is dear to the government. With this action the government will have no choice but meet their demands inorder for the projecct to continue.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by erico2k2(m): 7:01am On Jul 20, 2010
@Jon.Bee
or whatever your name is, I have read ur other post and came to realize that you cud not post a comment without insulting others who dare to do so before you so i aint gonna sweat with you re ur coments upstairs,but i will like to think you aint from the ND if so from where? what part I dont xpect U to answer though,
Now yourecon it would be wise for these women to tackle the FG directly right? remember what happened in Ogoni land when they attempted that? it aint been to long ago though?.people grow wiser and tend to find new ways of dealing with situations,by the way all Govt officials connect with Oil are al corrupt,so do you realy think these % meant for community dev goes put into its actual use eh?Dunno if you ever heard of a lil place called Sapele and a lil Ward there caled Ward 7(gana) thats where Im from, in that ward alone half the size of peckham we got16 oil wells and one flow station,I grew up there, for tha past 30 yrs shell managed to construct one rd just 8 electric poles long all becouse we blocked that strectch and thier heavy trucks could not negotiate the beding cornners of the other tiled ones,I wont expect you to realize these injustice, you claim we are being Emotional, why wont we be when we face the harsh reality of these expliotation day in day out.
@Meldrick
Dude, dont waste ur time arguing with these lot who aint got a clue, ask most of them the colour of crude, I bet they cant even tell yah.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by texazzpete(m): 7:51am On Jul 20, 2010
Meldrick:

My friend shut up there . If you have nothing to say keep quiet or blow a whistle.

None of them have blamed the oil companies but they are been diplomatic.

I had something to say and i said it. It's not my fault you have no effective rejoinder and have decided to take the coward's way out by attacking me.

Meldrick:

That project is dear to the government. With this action the government will have no choice but meet their demands inorder for the projecct to continue.
That project ultimately is aimed at reducing the amount of gas flared, so it should be dear to the Niger Delta indigenes. Naturally, you're too dumb to figure this out.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by texazzpete(m): 7:57am On Jul 20, 2010
erico2k2:

@Jon.Bee
or whatever your name is, I have read your other post and came to realize that you cud not post a comment without insulting others who dare to do so before you so i aint gonna sweat with you re your coments upstairs,but i will like to think you aint from the ND if so from where? what part I dont xpect U to answer though,
Now yourecon it would be wise for these women to tackle the FG directly right? remember what happened in Ogoni land when they attempted that? it aint been to long ago though?.people grow wiser and tend to find new ways of dealing with situations,by the way all Govt officials connect with Oil are al corrupt,so do you realy think these % meant for community dev goes put into its actual use eh?[b]Dunno if you ever heard of a lil place called Sapele and a lil Ward there caled Ward 7(gana) thats where Im from, in that ward alone half the size of peckham we got16 oil wells and one flow station,I grew up there, for tha past 30 yrs shell managed to construct one rd just 8 electric poles long all becouse we blocked that strectch and thier heavy trucks could not negotiate the beding cornners of the other tiled ones,[/b]I wont expect you to realize these injustice, you claim we are being Emotional, why wont we be when we face the harsh reality of these expliotation day in day out.

Oya, how many roads has your local government chairman constructed? Can you name just one tangible job done by your local government chairmen in the past 10 years?
So Shell should start building roads for your Ward 7. The money allocated to your local Government, what is it used for? Christmas parties?

While your state governors and local govt and village representatives lavish your share of the oil money on women, wine and trips to Dubai, you see no 'injustice' in it. You people will once again sell your votes to the biggest con-men in 2011 elections then come around again crying of 'injustice'.

Skulk away in the UK, cowering behind your computer. people like myself that live and work in the Niger Delta know the significant role your people play in ensuring they live in abject poverty.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by justdtruth: 10:02am On Jul 20, 2010
i think the bottom line to problems(es) of Nigeria is knowlegde wether in terms of correct exposure, right information, good education, indepth understanding, proper perspective, name it. pls, it is not about going to school cos we have a number of educated people who do not understand a thing about some of our issues.
manifestation of these can be seen from the way we ask questions, the people we ask the questions, the way we fight for a cause, the way we argue our points, the way we defend our opinions, the way we protect our the guilty, the way we shout when we should be quiet qnd the way we keep quite when we should scream and a lot more other things.
if any body wants to do a research on bandwagon effect, i am sure nigeria provides a lot of case studies. its just pathetic. but unlike many i believe that we can be better and we shall be better.
my line of argument follows that of texazzpete and others. we need not be sentimental or just passionate that somebody or some people are fighting the government. we rather need to ask the right questions and tackle the right people. provision of amenities and other social services is the responsibility of the government of all levels. we seem to to think projects are only going on in the niger delta. whta happens if every community decides to do what is done in the niger delta?
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by justdtruth: 10:25am On Jul 20, 2010
its also important to understand how projects works. during my youth service, we deliberated on some projects and we realised how challenging some of these things can be. an example. a local community wants to have a school and we could easily get this done, in fact, a corper organised the students in the community to build some classrooms using local materials. we realised that building the school is not really the challenge but getting the personnel that will run the school. there are science students, commercial students and art student in the senior category who require different teachers to handle different subjects. the junior category is another ball game. end point, there could be a school but no schooling, there will be medical centers but no treatment.
i will advocate that we have human capacity development that can build structures. the big challenge to my suggestion is leadership. it is just absent. it seems that those who see themselves as leaders in these areas want the people to remain the way they are so that they can feed fat on the people. every step you decide to take to do something, you find them there.
my educated and well informed brothers and sisters from the delta dont want to do anything as well. it seems its just about taking care of yourself and that ends it.
our destiny is in our hands
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 20, 2010
^^^^

my company fixed a school in the nd

that school has only women teachers. on our way to the school we went through the village. most of the able bodied men we saw were sitting in beer palors. and this was 1pm on a weekday sad
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Tollz: 1:01pm On Jul 20, 2010
Az in these women drove away workers? wow! i am never messin with a woman from the niger delta. ever . damn it! they are powerful.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by igboboy1(m): 1:03pm On Jul 20, 2010
oyb:

^^^^

my company fixed a school in the nd

that school has only women teachers. on our way to the school we went through the village. most of the able bodied men we saw were sitting in beer palors. and this was 1pm on a weekday sad

so because the oil companies killed their livelihood they shouldn't jolly? You should be happy that the able bodied men you saw didnt decide to kidnap you and send you straight to the creek where you'll be fed with cabin biscuit and plucked monkey banana,  grin

ah ah werrin u want? those of us in oil producing areas complain about oil pollution people like u say we too complain. OK we complain that the pollution is killing some of our livelihood (like fish and crop) yet una say we too complain. Ok we com lockup dey mind our business just dey shack ogogoro yet una still dey parole.

shooooo ok werrin u wan make we do?  Kidnap your @$$?  angry
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by ono(m): 1:25pm On Jul 20, 2010
Igbo boy, you must be seeing stars already. grin

justdtruth,
Our problems indeed are hydra-headed. I have come to realise that the ''corruption'' problem is now systemic - e don spread round everywhere for the land. There must be some kind of serious purging of the Nigerian system of govt and leadership to effect any tangible change. At this point in the history of our country, many guys are just living one day at a time. You don't go making trouble when there isn't anything to derive from it. E go hard o!

What the women in Escravos did is fully supported. How else will they voice out their grievances?! Their local govt, council and state govt knows how to ''deal with them'' if they ''yab''. These foreigners hardly know how to ''catch them''. They have watched the BP wahala at the GOM and decided to adopt this present strategy - hopefully they can scoop some gains from this.

On a different note, I watched on Histrory channel yesterday where it was shown (scientifically and otherwise) that the world might come to an end on 21st December, 2012. It was hard for me to believe it, but, well. So why bother your head over flimsy things like this when there is a bigger cataclysmic event of planet wide proportion to at least, think about?. The story around the destruction of the world is hinged on the widespread decadence that's all over the world - including the ones we're witnessing in Naija at the moment. The Earth, I gathered, will weather the storm. But mankind, will be hard hit. People will die in billions. Anyone who survives will live to die another day.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by hbabe(f): 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2010
Tollz:

Az in these women drove away workers? wow! i am never messin with a woman from the niger delta. ever . damn it! they are powerful.

What a man can do a woman can do better. grin

@topic
The government has to take serious actions to right the wrong done to the indigenes by the oil companies who destroyed their livelihood. I guess the women have had enough.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by monkeyleg: 8:38pm On Jul 20, 2010
Uduaghan is responsible, go and catch him. After all he is an Itsekiri man, he is even cheating his own people. More reason why he must not be allowed into goverment house for another 4 yrs. The man is an absolute disgrace
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by xterra2(m): 8:43pm On Jul 20, 2010
These women abeg jor!
They would complain no light when they are stopping the efforts through shutting down the gas project.
Now if they feel the companies are not helping them ,,.are the companies government? They companies should help but they can do that let them go to the government house and catch the governor or head to villa and get arrested trying to disturb jonathan?
Blame the government shut the looting government not the gas pipeline that would help you and nigeria
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by erico2k2(m): 10:05pm On Jul 20, 2010
@texazzpete
Just like I hate to argue with you,I would rather be civil as this is just the NET,I don't skulk away in the UK, I actually work , I believe you wont know anything about that and what gives you the impression I ain't connected with where i come from as a matter of fact i do more than you could ever anticipate
Now let me answer your question, Yes our LG Chairman has don loads of road construction same as the state govt,if you know Sapele very well you would notice that all the major streets has be well tiled between 2002 and now,more than 10 new roads where constructed in sapele township But a very BIG BUT,Ward 7 is being isolated cos on paper SPDC where meant to tile about 15 roads there but not on ground cos of corrupt officials on their part(SPDC) and corrupt politicians.Now we all know the ordinary man in Nigeria cant tackle Politicians,where do they take their frustration?Govt ain't ready to deal with these companies cos they are already collecting enough from them,.
And for your other statement,its hard not be passionate bout these things when you are directly involved or rather when you are in the fore front of the direct negative consequences
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Meldrick(m): 2:05pm On Jul 21, 2010
monkeyleg:

Uduaghan is responsible, go and catch him. After all he is an Itsekiri man, he is even cheating his own people. More reason why he must not be allowed into goverment house for another 4 yrs. The man is an absolute disgrace
Is this another campaign strategy. Who are you campaigning for? Come out straight rather than spoiling Uduaghan. I bet the person you are campaigning for will be worse.

texazzpete:

I had something to say and i said it. It's not my fault you have no effective rejoinder and have decided to take the coward's way out by attacking me.

You are talking trash.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by texazzpete(m): 2:30pm On Jul 21, 2010
erico2k2:

@texazzpete
Just like I hate to argue with you,I would rather be civil as this is just the NET,I don't skulk away in the UK, I actually work , I believe you wont know anything about that and what gives you the impression I ain't connected with where i come from as a matter of fact i do more than you could ever anticipate
Now let me answer your question, Yes our LG Chairman has don loads of road construction same as the state govt,if you know Sapele very well you would notice that all the major streets has be well tiled between 2002 and now,more than 10 new roads where constructed in sapele township But a very BIG BUT,Ward 7 is being isolated cos on paper SPDC where meant to tile about 15 roads there but not on ground cos of corrupt officials on their part(SPDC) and corrupt politicians.Now we all know the ordinary man in Nigeria cant tackle Politicians,where do they take their frustration?Govt ain't ready to deal with these companies cos they are already collecting enough from them,.

So now you're ready to be civil. Good.
You mention that the Local Govt has constructed only a handful of roads in the past eight years. Does that suffice for you? Do you know how much these folk collect, and how much more could have been done?
secondly, where is the documentary evidence that SPDC promised to tar 15 roads for you guys? Is it something you've seen, or something your youth leaders told to his impressionable followers? I'd like to know, please.

In this day and age, how come an educated person like yourself feels it is normal for a foreign, tax paying oil company to construct 1.5 times the number of roads your state and local government combined constructed for you in eight years?

The ordinary man and woman in Nigeria can tackle corrupt politicians by not voting for them, by not supporting their corrupt agenda. But instead we see your youth working vigorously to rig these people in at all cost!
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by texazzpete(m): 2:32pm On Jul 21, 2010
Meldrick:

You are talking trash.

See what i mean?
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by monkeyleg: 3:40pm On Jul 21, 2010
@meldrick,

Do I need to campaign for anyone to state the obvious truth? And I seriously doubt anyone can be as bad as Udu and his Brother. They are both responsible for the terrible position we find Delta state.

Dont worry I dont need to campaign for change to come. Change is definitely on its way and it does not include UDu and his thieving brother.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by pendusky(m): 4:16pm On Jul 21, 2010
Nice One from women, How can money is being harvested in a place yet that place is in darkness,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ndubuisi Ekekwe (Afrit) On Africa's Infotech Policy / Policemen On Trial For Cold-blooded Murder Of Boko Haram Leaders / BUHARI'S Ministerial List LEAKS; FASHOLA, Others Favoured. See Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.