Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project (5503 Views)

Boko Haram: World Bank Allocates $800m For Rebuilding North East / APC Asks FG To Account For $800m Fund / Ghana Gas Project Now 100% Complete. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by wirinet(m): 5:20pm On Jul 21, 2010
I am Itsekiri and it pains me reading post of fellow Nigerians on a very simple and justified issue. It portrays some people from other ethnic groups as being insensitive, that all they want is just unhindered supply of oil money from the Niger Delta, without caring about the welfare of the people there.

How can any body fault the demands of the women. This is their major demand;

The women were aggrieved that Ugborodo community was not being considered for the provision of electricity even though that the project was meant to enhance the efficiency of PHCN and improve power generation and distribution in the country.

They vowed to frustrate the project unless the Federal Government made a convincing arrangement for a steady electricity supply to the community.

The leader of the women, Mrs. Mercy Olowu, said they embarked on the action because of the insensitivity of the Federal Government, adding that the government had consistently ignored the peaceful overtures of the community for the provision of electricity and other life support facilities in the community over the years.

How can the federal government award contracts for gas pipelines supplying power stations that will supply power to the rest of Nigeria, without as much as thinking of siting a transformer to the for where this gas is being sourced?

All they are asking for is constant electricity, which would not cost the FG much, if they incorporate it into the existing contract. The issue is not about road or water or even employment as some people has been digressing from the main issue to make their point for hating these women.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by texazzpete(m): 8:02pm On Jul 21, 2010
wirinet:

I am Itsekiri and it pains me reading post of fellow Nigerians on a very simple and justified issue. It portrays some people from other ethnic groups as being insensitive, that all they want is just unhindered supply of oil money from the Niger Delta, without caring about the welfare of the people there.

How can any body fault the demands of the women. This is their major demand;

How can the federal government award contracts for gas pipelines supplying power stations that will supply power to the rest of Nigeria, without as much as thinking of siting a transformer to the for where this gas is being sourced?

All they are asking for is constant electricity, which would not cost the FG much, if they incorporate it into the existing contract. The issue is not about road or water or even employment as some people has been digressing from the main issue to make their point for hating these women.

The point is, these pipes are being laid to harness produced gas that otherwise will be flared.
By derailing this project, they are only increasing the amount of time they have to endure through gas flaring. Unless, of course, it does not pain you that gas is being flared in your region.

The other discussions about the role of Niger Delta indigenes in the poverty wave sweeping through the region are general comments, not necessarily applied to this situation.
If you notice, i did mention that the women did one thing right in this case; they are targeting the federal government. However, they ought also to look to their state and local governments too.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by wirinet(m): 8:18pm On Jul 21, 2010
texazzpete:

The point is, these pipes are being laid to harness produced gas that otherwise will be flared.
By derailing this project, they are only increasing the amount of time they have to endure through gas flaring. Unless, of course, it does not pain you that gas is being flared in your region.

The other discussions about the role of Niger Delta indigenes in the poverty wave sweeping through the region are general comments, not necessarily applied to this situation.
If you notice, i did mention that the women did one thing right in this case; they are targeting the federal government. However, they ought also to look to their state and local governments too.

Believe me, the amount of gas that would be piped though the pipelines passing through the community would not create a dent in the environmental pollution going on in the area, unless government makes it official state policy to ban gas flaring. The volume of gas being flared is massive.

These particular women are attacking contractors of the federal governments because of the obvious reason that they are working for the federal government. If they were state government contractors, they would still be attacked for the same reason, and besides electricity is still the preserve of the federal government so it would be foolhardy to demand electricity from the state or local government.

All they want is electricity in the mist of so much energy.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by igboboy1(m): 4:25am On Jul 22, 2010
Well this women grievances would all be heard and taken care off once they put me into that state house in Asaba grin
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by monkeyleg: 10:48am On Jul 22, 2010
@ Igbo boy, if you are serious, declare. There is no reason why people wont back you. After all we dont have a governor in our state, if he can allow this to happen to his own people.

We need good people to start talking and making very bold steps. I have always advocated for people to go back to thier states and hold the guys in charge responsible. As far as I am concerned Udu should the held respoinsible for all this nonsense.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by seanet02: 4:35pm On Jul 22, 2010
i support them. they should not be treated like that
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by marketplace(m): 5:17pm On Jul 26, 2010
Government should intervention and hear the plight of the people. Do something positive for them now.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by dlox01(m): 11:08am On Aug 11, 2010
[color=#006600]Crap!!! You are talking nonsense. If truly you are in Warri, you would have noticed that Warri is a much more liveable city than Lagos. There are almost no untarred roads in Warri . Lagos is filled with potholes the size of which can be caused only by earthquakes. So don't tell me Lagos chose the path of development. Money is shared is Lagos too. [/color]

if its not that your head has a screw loose, you wouldnt utter such a statement. What roads are you talking about in warri?there are only major roads, all other roads are not tarred. Its only in warri you will see a road with no drainage!!!u should come see rainy season here,people park thier cars and wear rain boots to get to their houses. Yea, money is shared in Lagos but how many people die n kill others the way the do it here in warri?if its not that your head sef is mad, Warri is just a part of Delta state, pls compare it to V.I or even ikeja in terms of roads. Warri??state filled with Lasy arse guys and hard working women psweeew angry rubbish, thier next governor had better be a woman if they intend to move foward.
well, this story has nothing to do with the topic but i just wanted to share it anyways:
in front of my office this morning ,there was a fatal accident , a warri man ran his car into an okada and another car conveying a woman and two children and killed them, y??his wife refused to open the door for him last nite after he had gone out to get drunk,apperently hez been getting free money. this happened at night and nobody was there to save them(wish your messed up gov had provided ambulances), 
this place is a let down, dont ever compare it to lag. Delta cannot even compare with Kwara state and warri can never compare with ilorin, go and check it out yourself and give your testimony!!!
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by funny60: 11:38am On Aug 11, 2010
Those Itsekiri Women should allow Men do such things. They should behave as women ought to.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by erico2k2(m): 8:56pm On Aug 11, 2010
@ dlox01
I read the beginning of your post and thought it made sence then I got to the last bit and thought you never went to secondary school
Its talks like yours that is fuelling the Anger and hatred of the youths in the ND, look at how you comparism lies,Lagos V Delta, why wont you say that when all the money from sales of Oil was channeled to build our Nation's then Capital, not a bad thing but there aint no need to rub it in,I would like you to answer these question, name three contribution of Lagos to Nigeria as a whole,go on,let me see if you got a functional Brain,No worry, U need to be kidnapped grin grin
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by dlox01(m): 11:35am On Aug 12, 2010
erico2k2:

@ dlox01
I read the beginning of your post and thought it made sence then I got to the last bit and thought you never went to secondary school
Its talks like yours that is fuelling the Anger and hatred of the youths in the ND, look at how you comparism lies,Lagos V Delta, why wont you say that when all the money from sales of Oil was channeled to build our Nation's then Capital, not a bad thing but there aint no need to rub it in,I would like you to answer these question, name three contribution of Lagos to Nigeria as a whole,go on,let me see if you got a functional Brain,No worry, U need to be kidnapped grin grin

i read the begining of your post and thought it made sence also then i got to the last bit and thought you never went to school at all(stark illitrate). i think you should read my previous post and the reply, i am not fueling the anger of the youths in the ND. The so called youth in this region have been brain washed by a handfull of looting animals and dont know what they are doing anymore. i added a story at the end of my previous post,do you want to know the resent development? well the so called youth have staged a protest saying the road killed those people and they want money to build the road(that nothing is wrong wit)they havnt said anything about the Drunk reckless man that was locked out of his house by his wife and decided to kill 3 people. Do oil companies pay tax to the state?i think so, Big one sef, what are those taxes used for by the state?to finger the brain of the youth with little change to drink and eat bush meat!!
if you and the last poster were in your right state of mind you wouldnt have compared lagos state to little warri(you no even talk Delta), so i helped you cut it to size, Lagos Island to warri(you should thank me).
as you don turn lecturer wey dey ask question and me dey answer,
lagos is the largest supply of man power and human resources to nigeria, this makes it excel in almost every aspect which drives your nigeria, Education,Agriculture,Tourism etc. Its main power is in Trade which it is known for which makes it the commmercial nerve of the nation, so you can as well add up all the ports( sea and airports) to the above.For you to ask me what the commercial nerve of a country offers its country is pretty evident my claims bout you are true. i wont ask what ND has to offer apart from seat down and drink pammy and chop bush meat while the FG drains its oil they(ND) never knew existed till tha white man showed them.
people like ibori wey they suppose kidnapp dem shield am na me dem wan kiddnapp?u see what i say about misplaced priorities
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by erico2k2(m): 10:20pm On Aug 12, 2010
@ dlox01
I just asked you a simple question you could not give me a simple question,now if you have read all of my post you would recongnise that I never compared the two states,but then again let me point this out, I note your Location says Nigeria, I have not lived in Nigeria full time for the last 15 years but I dare say that Im intuned with it than you who lives there,Now i guess you never knew the highest numbers of interprenures comes from Eastern Nigeria, and you are talking about ports lol Howmany ports do you have in LAgos? do you know howmany ports we have in Delta state? I bet you dont know,Lagos was once the country's capital, what do you espect?Now let me remind you if the ammount of money pumped into lagos was pumped into the ND for development,what do you think the place would look like?Now you are quick to Jump in the mentioning of Ibori lol did he steal half of waht OBJ stole? or did OBJ do half fo what Ibori did for his town in his?,my friend let me advice you concentrate more on developing yourself therby developing your surroundings as well.Thats what we do where I live.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Sharonf(f): 12:48am On Aug 13, 2010
Do you know the meaning of Escravos?
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by dlox01(m): 10:46am On Aug 13, 2010
erico2k2:

@ dlox01
I just asked you a simple question you could not give me a simple question,now if you have read all of my post you would recongnise that I never compared the two states,but then again let me point this out, I note your Location says Nigeria, I have not lived in Nigeria full time for the last 15 years but I dare say that Im intuned with it than you who lives there,Now i guess you never knew the highest numbers of interprenures comes from Eastern Nigeria, and you are talking about ports lol Howmany ports do you have in LAgos? do you know howmany ports we have in Delta state? I bet you dont know,Lagos was once the country's capital, what do you espect?Now let me remind you if the ammount of money pumped into lagos was pumped into the ND for development,what do you think the place would look like?Now you are quick to Jump in the mentioning of Ibori lol did he steal half of waht OBJ stole? or did OBJ do half fo what Ibori did for his town in his?,my friend let me advice you concentrate more on developing yourself therby developing your surroundings as well.Thats what we do where I live.

Erico2k2, u did not directly compare both states but supported the last post that did.
ports: of what use are the ports in the nigerdelta if its of no use, what is the in/out flow?what does it generate?what is it predominantly used for(apart from smugling of guns and illegal bunkering which cannot be accounted for?),
you talk of lagos being the nations capital for the reason for its growth, unfortunately i dont agree to that point because based on our arguement its not every capital that generates such an income just because its a capital, America? southAfrica? these are examples, we have washington/New york.
SA, The Executive branch is in Pretoria,The Legislative branch is in Cape Town,The Judicial branch is in Bloemfontein as compared to Johannesburg which is none of the above. Lagos state has the largest settlers(well actually kano according to FG)
its not about the amount of money pumped into a state in nigeria dat signifies the development of the state. Delta state has nothing to offer in ratio to what they are getting from the FG, its a clear fact. The state and local government is not active, i repeat it, you cannot compare warri to Ilorin in terms of development but you wouldnt want to compare what thier income is.
Ibori is a crook, a big thief!!!!period, im not gonna support him or OBJ. Becoming a Governor of a state is Governing your State not your town
you have been in and out for 15 yrs and definatly not intune with anything at all, you can keep your advise because you are just another balless nairalander that ran away to develop another mans land(what is it u do? wash plates??i hope that isnt what you call development) grin
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by erico2k2(m): 11:12am On Aug 13, 2010
@dlox01
Another poster just asked you if you know the meaning of ESCRAVOS,I bet you dont, anyway let me think Im talking to someone under 32 yrs Old, thne I would permit you if you know nothing about National dev,I would suggest you go read up( Social stratification) btw, glad you recongnise the fact that there are more settlers in kano than lagos, and let me tell you one more thing,%90 of all major Rd in Lagos was Built by the FG,.and also you are now saying the nation's capital dont play a role in the development of its own town, well is that true of LONDON?
PS:what gives you the single though that I might be washing plates here? lol is that what you think Nigerians do here? with all credits to Nigerians here in the Uk, they have done very well for themselves,Loads are Doctors,lawyers,Engineers etc and just so you know,I work as a medical staffing ofice holder in the NHS,now you wont have a clue what that is and dont go thinking Im as old as your dada cos Im not have a look at my profile n you would see.
You saying Delta state has nothing to offer,very funny,I ask on behalf of the other poster, go and look up the meaning of Escravos and see waht Tank Farm means.appart from Oil can you tell me waht else that could kep Nigeria flooting in these times?and as regards Ports you never knew we have more Sea Ports in Delta State than Lagos state right? Ibet thats new to you,Your FG limited the rights for them to recieve vessels etc,learn your history very well man,dont come here flounting your ignorrance, its unhealthy kiling your rep, thats if you got any.
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by dlox01(m): 12:17pm On Aug 13, 2010
erico2k2:

@dlox01
Another poster just asked you if you know the meaning of ESCRAVOS,I bet you dont, anyway let me think Im talking to someone under 32 yrs Old, thne I would permit you if you know nothing about National dev,I would suggest you go read up( Social stratification) btw, glad you recongnise the fact that there are more settlers in kano than lagos, and let me tell you one more thing,%90 of all major Rd in Lagos was Built by the FG,.and also you are now saying the nation's capital dont play a role in the development of its own town, well is that true of LONDON?
PS:what gives you the single though that I might be washing plates here? lol is that what you think Nigerians do here? with all credits to Nigerians here in the Uk, they have done very well for themselves,Loads are Doctors,lawyers,Engineers etc and just so you know,I work as a medical staffing ofice holder in the NHS,now you wont have a clue what that is and dont go thinking Im as old as your dada cos Im not have a look at my profile n you would see.
You saying Delta state has nothing to offer,very funny,I ask on behalf of the other poster, go and look up the meaning of Escravos and see waht Tank Farm means.appart from Oil can you tell me waht else that could kep Nigeria flooting in these times?and as regards Ports you never knew we have more Sea Ports in Delta State than Lagos state right? Ibet thats new to you,Your FG limited the rights for them to recieve vessels etc,learn your history very well man,dont come here flounting your ignorrance, its unhealthy kiling your rep, thats if you got any.

just because a poster asked what ESCRAVOS means, it dosnt mean the question was directed to me. For your information ESCRAVOS is a JV between Chevron Nigeria Limited (CNL) (75% share) along with the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) (25% share) on construction of the 34,000 barrel per day (bpd) Escravos Gas-to-Liquids (EGTL) plant in Escravos. i am sorry o, where is the state government in this?or is it the state that owns EGTL??NNPC has many JV(joint ventures)and they are spread across the nation, you are just ignorant!!
Tank Farms?what about it?private firms own it so(MRS, OBAT)i dont know what you are talking about.
i mentioned more settlers in Kano than lagos based on the last cencus conducted by the FG which if you leave in nigeria you would know was Flawed and of political use only.
if you can read you will see i said 'NOT' every capital is a commercial nerve.
Apart from oil what could keep us afloat are the people. Nigerians are Very intelligent its this oil that is a curse. Is southAfrica producing oil?how advanced are they?they have been able to develop themselves without oil in every sector, the Britain you stay, is it oil that keeps you afloat?Japan? china?
you are sooo retarded, you asked me about ports and i replied you and you are still saying '' i bet you did not know'' are you okay??
you work as what shocked? oh please, go get a real job.  lipsrsealed
thanks  wink
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by erico2k2(m): 12:53pm On Aug 13, 2010
@dlox01
You just answered my questions lol you ignorance is Xtreem and dangerus to ur kind,i told you that you wont ava clue to what Medical staffing in the NHS means lol,mayB GOOGle did no provide you with straight on answers lol or mayB your just foolish anough to comprehend and as for Escravos lol I assume you googled it and came up with those answers lol you dont realy know what it is appart from names of projects etc, and this confirms you never went fru the post or if you did, did you bother to look at the location where these women where staging thier protest? hence that poster asked if you knew waht it meant cos you are ignorant of the fact that its a location where people lived b4 oil was discovered in 9ja,I bet U never knew that and Oh, U never answerd the PORT question cos you defo dnt kno,
PS,U got shit 4 Brains, even though I aint lived in 9ja ful time, I stil move arround that country more than you can do in ur entire life time,my friend, get off ur opera mini and get a JOB
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by dlox01(m): 2:02pm On Aug 13, 2010
^^^ y do u always ask a question and then say, 'i bet you didnt know' after your question has been answeredyou dont work as a Medical staffing ofice holder in the NHS, youre permanent in the psychiatry ward. dont bore me with your National Health Service crap coz aint nobody gonna let you come anywhere near him you Cheap Gay wanna be. Have you taken a look at yourself??

the women in quote demonstrated in warri south west and stoped the contractors,
ESCRAVOS is not where they were demonstrating,Daft punk, the Gas plant is off the shores of ND.
pls read up and stop asking bout ports because its obvious thats how you are smuggled in and out of this country!!!

but wait o, y am i lowering myself to your level? undecided a staffing officer in NHS dat has been in and out of the country for 15yrs in a container
GOD forbid it!!!
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by becomrich4: 3:10pm On Oct 01, 2010
You see trouble
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by becomrich4: 4:07pm On Oct 01, 2010
You see trouble
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by AljUche: 3:44am On Mar 01, 2011
jason grin grin grin
Re: Itsekiri Women Shut Down $800m Gas Project by Becomrichn: 9:36pm On Mar 19, 2011
nhm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EFCC To Prosecute Herman Hembe / PDP Didnt Sponsor Lamido/amaechi Campaign Vehicles – / Protesters Shut-down Governor’s Office In Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.