Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? (47264 Views)

What Exchange Is Used In A Naira Mastercard Dollar Transaction? / Quick Guide To Terms Commonly Used In Blogging / Can Nigerian Verve Card (First Bank) be used in the U.A.E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by justyinka(m): 9:57am On Mar 01, 2010
Dear All,

we now have available Solar Energy Panel of 120watt, which can power you house hold equipment or your street light. interested should send mail to justyinka23@yahoo.com or call 08058147414 or 08032809120.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by newvision: 12:49am On Mar 03, 2010
Hi Whats you 120 watt panel going for?
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by justyinka(m): 9:17am On Mar 03, 2010
can you give me a call on 08035308511 or send me a mail on justyinka23@yahoo.com
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Obanimoh(m): 8:19pm On May 21, 2010
We have available in stock Solar Power Systems from 800VA to 100KVA. If you are interested in receiving further information such as price, company profile, specification, and how it works, feel free to call me and I will give you the full detail.

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by monopolist: 10:09am On Jun 01, 2010
Some years back i was at the NERC in Abuja and they asked me to pay $15,000 before i can set up a small Solar Power Enterprise in Nigeria. IMAGINE.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by FemoAK: 1:18am On Jun 06, 2010
Dear Fellow Nairalanders enthusiast of Solar Panel

In an article i red in relations to why solar panel installations in Nigeria are not frequently used. Some regards Solar Panel  as costly system to install or mainly for the reach for a sum of  $28000 or more , and some Say's it requires reliable and efficient supplier to install well though that is TRUE. But i strongly disagree that it would cost $28,000

Though as you all may well know, installing solar panel requires knowing amount of kilowatt an average  home uses or how much apparatus is used on an average. In most cases. Most engineers normally calculate the amount of kilowatt using on line calculator to generate how much panel is need to power a home ( on every a standard of 3 to 4 bedroom size house in Nigeria with fridge, light bulb fan etc).

The  main point  is  Solar Panel excluding the batteries / inverters can be made for just under $100. a panel and sometimes even less than $100. This methods requires basic wiring of silicons together.   Many are turning to making a solar panel like this to make  alternative cheaper electric source. In UK, US  or in Nigeria, it can be done.  I have attempted to make a panel like this, not once  and not twice. In fact i am attempting my next project in Lagos this summer. I am happy to demonstrate this method to any intrested parties in Nigeria .

Contact me at femawu@hotmail.com where full detail can be revealed

Thank you
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by ChinaSolar: 4:08pm On Jun 09, 2010
Looking for importers, distributors, wholesalers of solar panel and solar water heater

Dear Sir,

We are a leading manufacturer and exporter of solar water heater and solar panels from China
We can offer you solar products with very high quality, more competitive price and thoughtful service

If you are interested in selling solar products in local market, please feel free to contact us
We hope to establish cooperative relationship with you
my email: bonhunt.china@hotmail.com

Richard
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by justyinka(m): 12:12pm On Sep 08, 2010
I have 120watt solar panel for sale , if interested you can call me on08062781438, 08035308511 or send me mail on justyinka23@yahoo.com
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by avocat(m): 11:28pm On Oct 20, 2010
I know about a good installer:

Brytesolar.com

Their prices are very affordable. The can install solar panels, solar water systems, visit their website or send them an email at admin@brytesolar.com
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by akumaris(m): 5:40pm On Oct 26, 2010
pls i need the prices of this items
1. 160wp polycristaline modules
2. 36w LED lamp and lamp holde
3. deep cycle battery( 150ah, 12v
4. charge controller and dusk to dawn photo sensor switch

very very urgent pls
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:06pm On Oct 30, 2010
all,
solar panel prices have fallen drastically in the last couple of months. i think for those who have been planning on embracing solar power but have been put off by the previously high prices, now is the best time to go for it.

imagine buying a 200w solar panel for less than half of what it used to cost 2yrs ago!
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 31, 2010
we are into all forms of solar production, installation and maintenance, we are an american company that is equally setup in Nigeria for about three years now and we have handled a couple of projects in port harcourt and a few in Lagos, we have a prototype of our solar traffic light system at anthony bustop on Ikorodu road,

AMERITECH INTERNATIONAL TECHNOLOGY NIGERIAN LIMITED,

Call fola on 08062095333 for more details
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:51am On Nov 01, 2010
folzy4u,
do you install solar hot water systems too?
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 01, 2010
we instal both hot and cold water system, feel free to call me
fola
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by sonnensys: 12:16am On Nov 02, 2010
Solar Power is now available in Nigeria at very affordable rates. The base solar lantern (see picture below). which can replace kerosene lamps and candles costs about 2,250 naira or US$15. Please visit www.sonnensys.com for more information. You can also buy online.

Note: this product is available in Nigeria. We are seeking distributors too.

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:09pm On Nov 02, 2010
folzy4u,
ok. copy that.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by michaelhxc(m): 6:32am On Nov 22, 2010
EPsolar which is the leading manufacturer of solar charge controllers for Solar Home System、Solar Light System and Hybrid System in China ,12 to 48 V, 5 to 300 A, 1 or Duo Output and so on.
Simultaneously we design and produce the solar system which have been sold to domestic & international market, Example: SK series exported to Africa 700sets, and sold to China Domestic Market, 2500sets.
So do the LED Lighting.

If you have any question ,we can discuss here.
Michael
Beijing EPSOLAR Technology CO., LTD
TEL:0086-10-57273156
FAX:0086-10-82894882
Mobile:0086-13683345388
MSN:Michaelhxc@hotmail.com
E-Mail:Michael@epsolarpv.com

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:00pm On Jan 24, 2011
michaelhxc,
you got mail. kindly reply asap.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by avocat(m): 6:03pm On Jan 30, 2011
Brytesolar.com do excellent instalations.

contact them at

www.brytesolar.com
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Fants: 6:41pm On Jan 30, 2011
@all,
great question, and great answers.
Solar is not fully used in Nigeria because we have many quacks in the system. Also, in the whole of Nigeria, only five companies produce solar panels. The others just import them and thereby making this solar electricity to be very expensive for Nigerians.
However, i have good news for all who care.
Among these five companies that produce these solar panels, i found one that also teach Nigerians how to install solar electricity and how to produce solar panels. According to them, the remaining four companies are not happy with them for making such an offer to Nigerians. This is because, if other companies/individuals get to know the secrete, business would be bad.
This got me annoyed, so i decided to give out the name of the company so that all can learn this panel production seeing that these other four companies don't want us to grow in technology.
The company is:
Akachrisa International company visit their site at http://akachrisa.com
go to the address above and find your way to their post regarding this.
Lest i forget, they also teach Nigerians how to generate electricity from wind and also how to turn the small well/bore-hole in your house into a source of unlimited  electricity. And lots more.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by steel5800(m): 11:55pm On Mar 05, 2011
Pls can someone tell me how much it will cost to set up a solar system that will power a 3-horse power borehole pumping machine, about 7 ceiling fans, a deep freezer and 30 energy saver light bulbs. Pls i'ld like to know the cost for both 24hr power supply and day time power supply.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 9:26am On Mar 08, 2011
steel,
give me a list of actual wattage of each appliance and i will give you the size of inverter, battery bank and solar panels you need to go with it.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by harakiri(m): 11:06am On Mar 08, 2011
Interesting topic. . .

How much would it cost to provide a house with between 15KVA-25KVA via solar panels? I mean the typical residential home with several air conditioning units,fridges and general home appliances.

Also, i was a picture of a house that was roofed with solar panels. Is this possible in Nigeria?
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:15pm On Mar 08, 2011
harakiri,
you are going about this the wrong way.when it comes to solar energy, it is always advisable to do a load estimation first and then determine your battery bank size according to your run time and lastly calculate the number of solar panels that will be needed to support the battery bank.if you start out with a pre-determined size of solar panels like you are doing,you'll realise most often than not that your solar'panels are either inadequate to charge your battery bank or too large for your needs which means you just threw away valuable cash that would have been used for other purposes.

to your other question,the answer is yes.you can roof your house with solar panels the only limitation being cost.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by tara2: 6:51pm On Mar 08, 2011
Its amazing, in Nigeria, everybody has an opinion, but no one has a concrete permenant solution to any problem. All the Engineers in Nigeria, no one can comeup with a working Solar Converter or invent one. Its crazy,  you need to get together people and start inventing stuff, anything, just invent it. Get a working model and reverse-engineer it.

If a whole Adamawa State put a solar converter on the street and it does not work, you will think, Adamawa state will have atleast, at hand, 5 solar engineer hired who know exactly what they are doing to troubleshoot the converter or comeup with a better converter.

If am the Adamawa State governor, l will give $5,000,0000 to anyone or group of Nigerian inventor in Nigeria who can comeup with a better solar converter. The whole Nigeria will then benefit by selling the improved converter and recoup the $5M and more for life.

The poverty in Nigeria is caused by the people themself not all is caused by the government,  10% government, and 90% Nigerian people.
You allowed silly people to run goverment and say Nigerians are smart people, you have huge resources in the ground and say Nigeria is a rich country. Resource in the ground means nothing if you and l cannot use it to our economic advantage.

You have bad roads, but you have alot of people looking for work. Ask for 5 million road worker volunteeer willing  to work for free food for a year. l know l will comeout and work on the road and get my daily meal for free, will you? you work for 8 hrs and you get a free meal voucher redeemable at any local restaurant of your choice.

You have no viable electricity, and yet people just sit there and complain all the time.
People just dont want to figure out why things are not working, but they are expert in showing the world that it is not working.
So tell me why someone makes or invent a converter, and you cannot troubleshoot it the dawn converter in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by tara2: 7:18pm On Mar 08, 2011
l can fix all nigerian problems within 5 yrs. Atleast the most obvious ones. Roads, Water, electricity, Natural Resources Management etc.

Why is water scarse in a country with the highest rainfall on earth? The people dont know what they are doing, but they love to complain about it and do nothing.

You dont need to give me money, l just need the government to setup a soup kitchen for 5yrs and ask for 5 million volunteer workers by Ads in the newspaper and a place for people to come meet and sign-up. l bet by the time this project is completed l bet, l will have $100M free money in my bank account with zero startup.

You submit the problem, l give it to my volunteer workers to comeup with reasonable solution within 3 months.You are fired if you cant show performance within 3 months. The solution is turn into MONEY and better living standard for the people.

Harness the power of your people looking for something to do, you will see talents begin to emerge and the individual talent is converted to income and prosperity, later

The Nigerian prison itself have atleast 5 million free labor worker to harness for road and water construction. You work as a volunteer in my project, you get your sentence reduce by 50%

All the graduate student in nigeria right now can tackle Electricity problem for free, but has the government even try to ask them what they know and can do. Who are the people making decision in Nigeria and wasting human talents that leads to porverty?

The more l write this statement, the more l get mad of all the waste of human resources in Nigeria leading people to poverty.
Form yourself into social group and use the power of groups to solve problems, instead of everybody trying to survive on their own causing more proverty.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by tara2: 7:47pm On Mar 08, 2011
What is preventing all the solar energy so call experts in this forum from getting together to invent, market and create Solar solution in Nigeria? NOTHING.
People just want to write ONLY and make comments and go about their business, only to see that the problem remains 5 yrs from now, with no tangible Solar Energy Solution in Nigeria.

MTN came from South Africa and put cell phones into the hand of Nigerians, Nigerians with capital refused to do it for years, The Nitel Director said there is nothing wrong with Nitel. This is a good example of what l mean that Nigerians are the cause of their own poverty.

Nigerians are smart in making comments only and pointing fingers, thats it. But when it comes to implementation of those comments and ideas, it fails all the the time. Why, because the idea and comments has not been thoroughly tested and refined. And all the people in this forumn is guilty of it, including me.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by kinsoko(m): 8:43pm On Mar 08, 2011
Every body could have love to have solar light sytem. i atended a special seminar on solar light sturf.but i have not made a dine from it just b/c of its cost.every doby likes it but only few can afford it. the reason is simply b/c it is capital expensive,
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 9:12pm On Mar 08, 2011
tara,
you ended up expending so much energy listing your fustrations but unfortunately you still didn't give any solution different from what's already been said here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

List Of Genuine Online Businesses You Can Do / An Overcrowded Street Market In Port-Harcourt, Rivers State (Photos) / Mark Zuckerberg And Ime Archibon Run Marathon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.