Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? (47276 Views)

What Exchange Is Used In A Naira Mastercard Dollar Transaction? / Quick Guide To Terms Commonly Used In Blogging / Can Nigerian Verve Card (First Bank) be used in the U.A.E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by tara2: 9:23pm On Mar 08, 2011
My solution is here but you fail to see it?
What is preventing all the solar energy so call experts in this forum from getting together to invent, market and create Solar solution in Nigeria? NOTHING.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by steel5800(m): 9:33pm On Mar 08, 2011
@George_D
I'm not too sure about the wattage but am giving a rough estimate of 7hp, that about 5.2 kilowatts (5219.9 watts). Its just to power a farm and my main need for solar power is to power the pumping machine sice I plan on having a fish pond in the farm.

I also heard there are solar powered pumps, dunno know if you know about them
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:27am On Mar 09, 2011
tara,
indeed you offered suggestions but they're not different from what we're doing here.this forum provides an opportunity for people to meet and share ideas and those ideas will go a long way in influencing thier thought patterns which then moves them to try new things. change is a process and is not an end in itself.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:35am On Mar 09, 2011
steel,
your estimated load is 5219:9 watts. what is your expected run time?8hrs?12hrs?24hrs? per day? i need this info to give a more accurate sizing for your needs.

as for solar powered water pumps,they are available in abundance and it may be all you need since you're most likely only interested in water pumping.you have shurflo,grundig,etc as just a few examples.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by steel5800(m): 9:44pm On Mar 09, 2011
George_D
Thanks for your help and sorry for my late replies, i only get to browse at nights.

I think I'll just go to the market tomorrow and look for the solar powered pump but I'll need one more favour from you pls, Apart from shurflo and grundig, what other product are available and which ones are very durable? Also, their price range and if possible their flow rates. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks

Its a submersible pump
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 9:26am On Mar 10, 2011
steel,
there are other brands but those two are among the most reliable i can remember at the moment.when you get to the market i'm sure they will give you a lot more options to choose from.as for pricing i don't have a recent pricelist but again they will provide you with prices when you get there.

yes!it's got to be a submersible.surface pumps just won't cut it.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by steel5800(m): 2:50am On Mar 11, 2011
Thanks George_D
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:56am On Mar 11, 2011
steel, you are welcome.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by steel5800(m): 9:57pm On Mar 13, 2011
George_D,
I finally went to the market and i found just 1 product; groundflox or something like that, cant really remember the name. Well the thing is that they said its 175,000 naira and I have to buy 10 solar panels of 40,000 each which means i'll spend a total of 175k + 400k = 575k just for a submersible pump minus workmanship oooooo. Forgive my ignorance but isn't this too much?
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:17pm On Mar 14, 2011
steel,
indeed that amount is on the high side but unfortunately that is the reality with solar alternatives.
you can avoid the high cost by getting a normal submersible pump and powering it with a normal inverter system and solar panels.that way you can still achieve your aim while using other appliances with your inverter.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by steel5800(m): 10:04pm On Mar 14, 2011
Ohhhhh!!!! Why didn't i think of this before? I actually have a normal pump installed already and was thinking of removing it, selling it and then install d solar one. Dumb me. embarassed

Anyways, so the inverter will power the pump while the solar panels will charge the inverter. This means cost of solar pump is out of it (minus 175k).
Also, since i only need the panels to charge the inverter, i would be needing alot less that 10 panels, am guessing 4 to 5 panels (minus 200k).
All i need to do now is to find out the price of an inverter that'll serve the purpose.

Thanks George_D, u've been very helpful.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:14am On Mar 16, 2011
steel,
as long as you do your load estimation properly, you're home and dry.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by brokswater: 3:57am On Mar 24, 2011
Gentlemen this is an amazing topic. I am trying to put together a budget for a water bottling plant and rather than purchase a generator I would like to run the plant on solar. I have the kilo wat rating of all the equipment. How can I determine my solar power needs. Please help.

Thanks in anticipation
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 2:58pm On Mar 24, 2011
brokswater,
first you need to do a load estimation. this means looking up the power rating (watts) of all the equipment you intend to use for your project and calculating the number of hours you intend to run them. this will give you a good idea of your battery bank size. your size of battery bank will in turn give you an accurate sizing for your solar panels. all this you can do by yourself or you can go to any reliable solar website to help you out. below are links to a few of these site. just click on anyone of them and follow through:

http://www.dako.co.za/solar_system_calculator.html

http://www.mrsolar.com/page/msos/sizingindustrial

http://www.eventhorizonsolar.com/loads.html

http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/sec.htm

1 Like

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by QuintenBert(m): 7:57pm On Mar 31, 2011
from the topic,  i don't have an idea why is solar power will not be commonly used in Nigeria. I will have to make some research about this. Or visit this Solar Power Queensland for more solar power details.  wink
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by itking: 7:15pm On Apr 02, 2011
learn  the A to Z of solar energy and also  how to connect solar street light solar garden light, solar pumping machine
and how to use it in your homes and you can even make money by connecting solar for people send and email to itking011@gmail.com for more info
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by qs0404: 9:55am On Apr 11, 2011
Hello , Felicity Lighting Systems Co., Ltd is a real breeding in the world manufacturing center of Solar and LED Light company in China , We specialize in this field for several years(solar street lighting、solar garden light ,Solar Lighting Systems、photovoltaic cells、photovoltaic modules、Solar controller、Solar charger and so on) . Our products both in quality or price are very competitive ,Our website is http://www.greensolaring.com/ . Tel No is +8613599529106 , Email is : sales@greensolaring.com . I hope our products can be sold in the world market .

Thanks & Best regard

Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Gerts2011: 9:49pm On Apr 13, 2011
I tried to get into solar power in Nigeria about 15 years ago but was told that it would cause a lot of trouble with people who were happy with the status quo ie. generator suppliers and power companies etc.   I am still interested in this because as a teacher, I can see the huge benefits of having our schools run on solar power - eg. IT suites, being in Skype contact with schools around the world, improved academic performance etc.  I teach in London and took 7 London teachers to Enugu, Nigeria in 2009 and I think they were quite shocked at the state of the schools.  They taught in urban and rural schools for one week.  For those of you really interested in solar power, there are lots of solar power conferences and exhibitions this year.  The Sisters of Notre Dame in Awkunanaw have an amazing solar power installation that powers an internet cafe and health centre!
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Anufemi: 1:22pm On Apr 20, 2011
Your home’s lightin can ave a big impct on both aw much energy u use,nd aw com4table or cozy ur home fils.Understandin d differences btw d many choices in lightin ll help 2 lower ur energy bills by empowerin u 2 find d lowest cost lightin options,while @ d same time givin u d knowledge 2 pick d lightin most appropriate 4 ur illuminatn nids.4 more info,call femi on 08032806258.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Anufemi: 1:28pm On Apr 20, 2011
Your home’s lightin can ave a big impct on both aw much energy u use,nd aw com4table or cozy ur home fils.Understandin d differences btw d many choices in lightin ll help 2 lower ur energy bills by empowerin u 2 find d lowest cost lightin options,while @ d same time givin u d knowledge 2 pick d lightin most appropriate 4 ur illuminatn nids.4 more info,call femi on 08032806258.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Pennywise(m): 1:31pm On Apr 20, 2011
A friend urgently needs a 30KVA solar power equivalent for home use. What will this cost? He says cost of diesel is killing him
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Anufemi: 1:36pm On Apr 20, 2011
Gerts2011,hi,saw ur post,and i will like to inform u dat if u are interested in knowing more abt solar,we do organise solar seminar 4 pple wo are interested,u can rich me on 08032806258.tanks,hope 2 hear 4rm u
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Gerts2011: 4:43pm On Apr 20, 2011
Thanks Anufemi. I am based in London and I actually already have lists of solar power conferences taking place this year in America, Europe and other regions. What I am actually looking for are like-minded philanthopic people or people working with NGOs who are interested in improving the lives of children in rural communities by installing solar power in schools or community centres. This is the 21st century, yet most of the children in the rural schools I visited had never touched a computer let alone used the internet for their studies. I have approached many rich Nigerians (and big companies) who are too selfish to even donate a pencil to a child let alone donate a computer or solar panels. Selfishness is a completely alien concept to me and I can't understand why somebody who grew up poor in Nigeria and is now wealthy cannot reinvest in his community and improve the lives of others. Maybe it's because I was born in the UK and have lived here all my life - different psychology I guess. I do what I can but it will never be enough without a change in the mindset of our people.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Anufemi: 4:27pm On Apr 27, 2011
hi,gerts2011,i understand your plight,i work with an NGO in name of smefunds/Gosolar Africa and we are trying to distribute solar lanterns to less priviledge pple and it has not bin easy,bt we are forging ahead.dnt worry tins will get better.i will appreciate it if we can work together.The lord is your strenght.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Anufemi: 4:42pm On Apr 27, 2011
tara2,its not deir fault,dere are so many factors mitigating against such idea,1-d so cald carbas who dnt want 2 wind up deir generator biz,2-the mindset of pple in nig. is still poor,dey r nt yet xposed 2 it and pple who ave knowledge abt it still blive dat its xpensive,and 3-govt is nt helping matters.so tara,u c dat we still ave a long way 2 go.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Anufemi: 2:04pm On May 03, 2011
Can someone pls tell me y nigeria will not b lighted up?
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Anufemi: 2:08pm On May 03, 2011
If u are interested in knowing how to make solar lanterns,make a livinging with solar and how to b energy managers/auditors,why dont u come 4 our free seminar.for more info call;femi on 08189717043.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by ebere1712: 1:06am On May 30, 2011
buy solar cells from ebay. Build solar panels for yourself. Buy inverters from ebay. Buy cheap lithium ion batteries and connect them in series. And viola you've got yourself a solar powered house. If you don't have money to buy solar installations, then you must have time. Get information off google. Guys D.I.Y is the way to go.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by Winnerslfc(m): 12:37am On Jun 07, 2011
Hello! To all.
Who else wants to learn solar installation and solar panel production?
Who else wants to have electricity in his/home, business, factoriey etc?
If that person is you, I CAN SAY CONGRATULATIONS! because Akachrisa International Company holds the answers to your questions.
They offer the best service at an amazing cost.
in doubt? wait, why not give it a try and you will be convinced.
Visit http://www.akachrisa.com for details and also check out other services.
SEE U THERE.
Re: Why Is Solar Power Not Commonly Used In Nigeria? by sgambino: 4:47pm On Jun 09, 2011
Renewable Energy has been discussed in the AFRICAN market for some time. There are some grave concerns about solar in LAGOS,  It has been tired and bought by the Nigerian government before. A US company was granted a contract by the government back when Obasanjo was in rule. This project was for Lekki phase II as the Lekki area is exploding. The company S______ energy based in USA had purchased their units from China these were very low cost and bottom end photovoltaic products. the units were installed and worked for merely about 1 week. when asked to be serviced no one was available to service these units. This same company also installed solar lighting for the runway in port Harcourt and at the farm of the president(at that time),  the company essentially got the money and ran off. Leaving a very bad impression and taste in the mouth of the government of Nigeria. I met with the ministry of energy in Oct 2009. this is as he describe to me as what i have stated above. I am a solar company whom has a distributor in Lagos. We are building a solar manufacturing plant in Nigeria to help reduce importation on products and to be in ground to help Nigeria expand there knowledge on renewable energy. this factory will create jobs and help with the go Green theme,  in addition, I am looking for a contractor to build a home in Lagos as a spec home being supplied by my products from Spain. looking to build the first model for a house based on complete solar energy. if their is anyone interested in joining with me on this venture please feel free to notify me at Sofia@vergenrg.com  serious inquiries only,

Solar is a hot topic and is on the rise for the AFRICAN markets,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

List Of Genuine Online Businesses You Can Do / An Overcrowded Street Market In Port-Harcourt, Rivers State (Photos) / How To Do An Online Shopping Without Otp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.