Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,298 members, 7,822,485 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? (13555 Views)

SOLD ITEM / Need Any Item On Rockauto.com? Get In Here! / Parts In Regular Cars You Won't Find In Electric Car's Maintenance/Repair Lists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by clemzo101(m): 4:30pm On Nov 04, 2018
I will appreciate if anyone can help me with the price of Hyundai elantra 2007 shock absorbers, front and back. I need to know how much to BR looking for.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:30pm On Nov 04, 2018
adanny01:

That sensor is not N700 anywhere o.

I bought for a 2008 Accord for 10k.

Mechanics are now aware that anything called sensor should be 5k above.

Gone are the days i bought an O2 sensor (B1S2) for N2.5k. these days na 15k dem dey talk.

Do you know how much ABS module is these days, 35k +. This is something no one cares about but mechanics and dealers just wanna extort if you care.

Hence my shock at the initial 700 bucks figure (thought it was in Naira at first). I know fully well no one is selling those sensors for 700 naira, lmao.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 04, 2018
Holocene:

Yeah, it's a 14 camry. Each time I put on my car an look at those lights, my morale go just weak.

Armed with a basic obd2 scanner you can easily fix this yourself.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by radautoworks: 4:55pm On Nov 04, 2018
adanny01:

Bought my mums car (naija used) with SRS light(passenger off). Thought it was one easy fix but till today, the light is on.

Though i know the passenger Occupancy sensor is missing, i really donot know how to go about it and the owner doesn't care so i refused to go around spending my money.

The car came with 3 things vandalized. SRS (passenger), TPMS (all 4 sensors missing) and missing audio system amplifier. That amp pains me the most with a 25k quote.

Wow. okay

1 Like

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by waledeji(m): 4:57pm On Nov 04, 2018
vertueptime:

Use oil treatment for some time it will fix it. And use more of thicker engine oil than the one for new engines
pls what type of engine oil can you recommend for me, am presently using Total quartz
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 04, 2018
radautoworks:

Wow. okay

Madam, na naija we dey grin

Safety last.

1 Like

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by obyback: 4:59pm On Nov 04, 2018
radautoworks:

N3,628 in stock http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=CHV&partNumber=67740
Great, I will pick it up this week

1 Like

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by mank1234(m): 5:37pm On Nov 04, 2018
In need of front grille for 2014 corolla le.
Cc radautoworks

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 04, 2018
krap:

Hi greenhulk, is your car an Acura? If so, can you avail me the contact of the mechanic you are using?

Yes it's an Acura TL. I use a local mechanic (kazeem) for normal servicing like brake pads, shaft, suspension, fluid change etc. I scan the car by myself and show him where to touch when it comes to electrical problem. But if the problem is a bigger one I'd take it to Gazzuzz, thank goodness he's just about 5 km from where I live.

1 Like

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by decision01: 5:55pm On Nov 04, 2018
vertueptime:

Use oil treatment for some time it will fix it. And use more of thicker engine oil than the one for new engines
been managing this same issue for over 2years. Please what *thicker oil* do u recommend?
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by mank1234(m): 5:57pm On Nov 04, 2018
Holocene:
My Abs, brake and traction light have been on for like 2 months now. Went to the service store and the bros said it's the sensor by the tire. I said how much to change and he said like 700 bucks.
I asked will it be dangerous to drive without changing, he said no.....I kakuma carry my car home de wait to complete the money grin grin grin

The speed sensor might not be bad. Had same issue. Mine was cleaned and light went off immediately.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by mank1234(m): 5:59pm On Nov 04, 2018
santiagoz:
Check engine light(yellow color) and airbag light is showing on my dashboard(Toyota corolla 2003). What could be the cause and how can I fix it, any damage to the car is not urgent attended to cos no money for now. Any good mechanic in Abuja to help me fix them...

Steering Angle sensor may be bad.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Holocene(m): 6:01pm On Nov 04, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Armed with a basic obd2 scanner you can easily fix this yourself.

I have watched a couple of videos on YouTube how to go about it but small fear still de catch me so I dont mess it up. Scared I might make a mistake and then get into an accident and you know what happens when they do an accident investigation.
.I only do like 45 when it rains but I think I might be forced to work on it this winter cos I need that damn traction control

1 Like

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Holocene(m): 6:03pm On Nov 04, 2018
mank1234:

The speed sensor might not be bad. Had same issue. Mine was cleaned and light went off immediately.

I tire my guy...onyibo no de repair, all they do is change so they wont be liable if it fails again after repairs.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by radautoworks: 6:06pm On Nov 04, 2018
mank1234:
In need of front grille for 2014 corolla le.
Cc radautoworks

I'm sorry.. we don't sell body parts.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by radautoworks: 6:09pm On Nov 04, 2018
Holocene:

I tire my guy...onyibo no de repair, all they do is change so they wont be liable if it fails again after repairs.
No... That's not correct. They weigh cost against safety and decide which is best. They actually like to fix when possible. It's in Nigeria I see people throwing parts at the problem.

2 Likes

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by feelgoodstuffs(m): 6:10pm On Nov 04, 2018
shortgun:
Radiator is leaking....na so I dey pour water anywhere I go.
Was broken by Kasim working on my AC. Now AC is chilling but coolant is leaking.
No time to fix it.
We are blessed with very wonderful mechanics in this country who will always fix one thing and spoil another.

Lol same problem here. Thinking of changing the Radiator jare tired of patching. I don't have an idea how much 2009 Nissan Rogue will cost.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by radautoworks: 6:13pm On Nov 04, 2018
feelgoodstuffs:

Lol same problem here. Thinking of changing the Radiator jare tired of patching. I don't have an idea how much 2009 Nissan Rogue will cost.

Pretty sure there are places to get cheaper ones but

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=RDR&partNumber=813047 2 year warranty N81,340
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by feelgoodstuffs(m): 6:18pm On Nov 04, 2018
radautoworks:

Pretty sure there are places to get cheaper ones but

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=RDR&partNumber=813047 2 year warranty N81,340

Thanks @radautoworks.. Now I have an idea

1 Like

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Holocene(m): 6:21pm On Nov 04, 2018
Just curious....is this the abs sensor or is there something I am missing. I look at this and the 700 bucks I am being asked to pay and I think i might just do it myself

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Holocene(m): 6:24pm On Nov 04, 2018
radautoworks:

No... That's not correct. They weigh cost against safety and decide which is best. They actually like to fix when possible. It's in Nigeria I see people throwing parts at the problem.

I dunno if it has to do because I always go to the dealers.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:30pm On Nov 04, 2018
Holocene:
Just curious....is this the abs sensor or is there something I am missing. I look at this and the 700 bucks I am being asked to pay and I think i might just do it myself

Buy toks of 10k from naija and ship it over.

Ship kazeem with it too, workmanship na 2k highest. Or kpatakpata you change am by yourself, e no hard.

Sense will not kill me. grin
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by sherbol: 6:40pm On Nov 04, 2018
Mr. Gazzuz, plz come to ma aid.
Thank u
sherbol:
I need to change ma tires. Front shock is at d moment being replaced n stiff steering being attended to.
Plz where can I get a first grade tokunboh tires or shd I just buy new one? Ano get money,plz advice a Broda.
The oil change will wait till DEC,e neva short n e neva black too much. I will reduce ma wakaabout.
I bot new Chinco ( seamtyre or wot name sef) in 2017 Feb. 16/18k each,two of dem don bend.
Thank you.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 04, 2018
Holocene:

If you take an older car (2010 is quite old in some circle here in the US) to a franchised dealer one of two things will happen.

1) No one really wants to work on a dinosaur but if you insist then they'll throw the high book at you filled with diagnostic time.

2) They'll tell you to shove off.

It has been my personal experience that dealerships want to do easy fixes that is high earning. Like warranty work, insurance work, etc

Try to find an independent shop.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Drtunde1(m): 7:01pm On Nov 04, 2018
My check light came on last week(honda accord 2007)scanning revealed bad o2 sensor. Right front absorber is leaking, my brakes is acting funny these days. Mech said the drums need replacement
Pls how can I get 02 sensor in Ibadan. Thanks
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 04, 2018
Drtunde1:
My check light came on last week(honda accord 2007)scanning revealed bad o2 sensor. Right front absorber is leaking, my brakes is acting funny these days. Mech said the drums need replacement
Pls how can I get 02 sensor in Ibadan. Thanks

Many sources but RadAutoWorks I believe can ship free to you albeit with a minimum order. You can always add Technron injector cleaner, etc to meet their minimum.

I do this with Amazon, I combined my purchase till I can get free shipping.

1 Like

Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by staggerman(m): 7:33pm On Nov 04, 2018
Mine is the water pump.
Been hearing a gaggling sound, and planning to change the water pump this month.

Plus I need to do maintenance on AC system. There's a leak somewhere. I have refilled gas twice this year.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by Holocene(m): 7:34pm On Nov 04, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Buy toks of 10k from naija and ship it over.

Ship kazeem with it too, workmanship na 2k highest. Or kpatakpata you change am by yourself, e no hard.

Sense will not kill me. grin
Very smart dude grin grin grin grin only say Mr Trump no go gree
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by vertueptime: 7:55pm On Nov 04, 2018
decision01:
been managing this same issue for over 2years. Please what *thicker oil* do u recommend?

Abro will do, but if ur car smokes as wel use stop smoke, the whole idea is to thicken the oil a little bit so it wnt burn or evaporate, but if u can check ur plugs clean them if they need replacement then do it,
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by radautoworks: 7:55pm On Nov 04, 2018
Holocene:

Same. Dealers make money off labor not parts so they'd rather repair which has higher labor margin.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by radautoworks: 8:01pm On Nov 04, 2018
Holocene:

Price+ shipping+ import tax+ labor= yes... But our price would be the equivalent of about $440 total to replace it.
Re: What Maintenance Item Are You Postponing? by vertueptime: 8:02pm On Nov 04, 2018
waledeji:
pls what type of engine oil can you recommend for me, am presently using Total quartz
My brother most times people tend to stick with a particular engine oil that works for them, at times randomly changing (might) give u a little trouble. For me i use visco 2000 for the past 18 yrs and its works well no issues, bt like they alway say check ur car manuals for recommended oil

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama / 8 Signs Your Timing Belt Needs To Be Replaced / Top 10 Most Valuable Auto Brands Of 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.