Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking (16676 Views)

All Yoruba People: Let's Get Talking! / Chemical Engineering Versus Mechanical Engineering Forum / Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Miscellaneous(m): 4:16pm On Jul 10, 2016
what happened to this thread? Why don't you guys bring more structural issues for us to tackle? Where is everyone?

1 Like

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by yungmin: 7:07pm On Aug 04, 2016
Guys! Pls share the best structural detailing and design software u have come across and used

1 Like

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by mikeysorg: 2:08pm On Aug 10, 2017
pls let us not kill this trend. let us form a whatsapp group
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by mikeysorg: 2:18pm On Aug 10, 2017
Join civil/structural engineering whatsapp group https:///ARANTHoZPV92EJqPO4GHar
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by mikeysorg: 2:23pm On Aug 10, 2017
Join civil/structural engineering whatsapp group https:///ARANTHoZPV92EJqPO4GHar
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by yfeey: 2:02am On Dec 06, 2017
House, please how can a civil engineering graduate that has been working in financial institutions for more than 8years restart his engineering career? Bearing in mind that he has no engineering experience after graduation and has probably forgot most engineering stuff.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by yungmin: 9:30pm On Dec 30, 2017
May be you should try doing your masters. It would awaken yoi
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by yfeey: 2:16pm On Jan 02, 2018
yungmin:
May be you should try doing your masters. It would awaken yoi

Thanks alot. I will work towards that
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by tonyblace(m): 5:07pm On Mar 11, 2018
[left][/left] Greetings fellow Engineers, I am a graduate of civil engineering, I graduated 2016 and am currently serving in warri. I don't have any other experience apart from IT experience. I would like to gain site experience, anybody that could help should please try and reach me on my line 08138593085... Thank you in anticipation.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by iluvpomo(m): 7:08am On Mar 12, 2018
Wow it took 8 years for this thread to make it to front page .... shocked
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by CastedAyo: 7:10am On Mar 12, 2018
Chai
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by NotBeenPaid: 7:12am On Mar 12, 2018
Whaaaaaaat! 8year old thread, FP mod on autopilot? shocked
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by hakeem4(m): 7:12am On Mar 12, 2018
C
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by hakeem4(m): 7:18am On Mar 12, 2018
tboycares:
you can learn sap structural analysis. its so comprehensive. you can call me on , 08032213841. both the software and all the video training is just 2k and will be deliver to u wherever u are
can I message you on WhatsApp for more information?
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by ybalogs(m): 7:44am On Mar 12, 2018
Let this Monday be kind to you: be happy with what you have and accept the things which you cannot change. Good morning Nairalanders
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by ybalogs(m): 7:44am On Mar 12, 2018
We structure your world!!!
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by hisgrace090: 7:48am On Mar 12, 2018
We're moving foword.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Maj196(m): 8:12am On Mar 12, 2018
This is a Necropost making front page since 2010
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by adanny01(m): 8:16am On Mar 12, 2018
mobiss:

1- Wt software can i learn to knw d basics of structural designs,as most of the coy work designs come frm india,marcedonia and bulgaria?

2- Can i merge d structural and electrical field experience 2gether for future job vacancies(since i studied mechanical as my 1st degree)?

3- when working with d electrical engineers on site,we do climb 133Kv and 32kv gantries of 13meters and 9 meters height respectively to do some coupling and erection jobs(without safety belt or body harness,as the coy has no SAFETY OFFICER)on your own things nw. I'm ACROPHOBIC,bt still developing d techniques of climbing and working at such heights.As av done few coupling and erection jobs on top of the world meticulously. Bro,is nt easy to work at heights. The transmission towers i'm sorting out nw r as high as heaven(36meters away from land). My fear as a supervisor nw is dt to understand d structural design well there may be need 4me 2 climb dt high to see hw things av been done at dt altitude, which am dreadful of. So therefore wt way out of my acrophobic syndrome?

Thanks as u reply.

1. Tower design softwares are available in Nigeria, however, its not so lucrative for obvious reasons. Transmission/substation towers are made from galvanised steel which is not made in Nigeria. This means that if you design in Nigeria, the manufacture will happen offshore. This leads to a second problem which is testing. Every designed tower must be rigorously tested before the manufacturer supplies the tower members. Testing involves erecting the tower and subjecting to different forces it likely face. Erecting the tower involves erecting a foundation an other testing equipment. These manufacturers of towers already have equipment for testing specific types of towers which design they have. A new design may cost more to test so Nigerian contractors prefer the manufacturer's design. Most contractors will go into agreements with tower manufacturers to design, test and supply. Thats the reason design is not made in Nigeria. I worked with a consultant in this sector, most of the design they submit to us for vetting is made by the manufacturer, while the contractor just puts its name. Any comment we make on the design is refered back to the manufacturer to make necessary revisions.

2. No experience is useless. Tower erection is mechanical.

3. Safety is an important part of engineering. Its a branch of engineering itself so i will encourage you to keep to your personal safety even if your employer doesnot care. Nigerian law enforcement is so weak that contractors get away with such things. I am very sure that safety equipment is captured in the BEME but they will claim this money without using it. I have seen situations where a miscellaneous item in the BEME with a sum of N23m was accessed by using 5 bags of cement and a trip of sharp sand.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by catalanscrew(m): 8:21am On Mar 12, 2018
Thread for my profession proudly Structural engineer
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by bolinjkezzy(m): 8:38am On Mar 12, 2018
seyeoba:
Please what branch of Civil Engineering is most applicable to the Oil and Gas Industry?
I guess water and environmental engineering
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by stanisbaratheon: 8:41am On Mar 12, 2018
Nice
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by bolinjkezzy(m): 8:45am On Mar 12, 2018
Structural engineers please contribute
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by propsvila: 8:46am On Mar 12, 2018
Are you a Real Estate agent and you are looking for that one Listing portal where you can list your property for free Visit www.propsvila.com to register and start listing your properties immediately
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by adanny01(m): 8:57am On Mar 12, 2018
philipciveng:
good evening my able engineers, i am to design a 6m high un upstructed Hall which was partitioned with ove 14 hotel rooms and has roof slab that is to be design for an event
lenght is 50m and bredth is 12.475m i am confused.....and i am not to design waffle slab

I cant imagine what you have described well.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Mac2016(m): 9:03am On Mar 12, 2018
seyeoba:
Please what branch of Civil Engineering is most applicable to the Oil and Gas Industry?
Oil & Gas focuses mainly on foundation and portal frame designs basically (structural) and geotechnical aspect at higher level. Man trainings are there to undertake in O & G companies and there is a need to have the technical know-how of many applicable structural design softwares e.g PDMS, Autoplant, AutoCAD 2D & 3D, SACS, STAADPro, CAD RC, Advanced Steel etc.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Mac2016(m): 9:05am On Mar 12, 2018
candylips:
structural engineering and oil and gas doesn't mix. Try to get into JB for examaple
Thus is very wrong. There is even also of vacancies for Structural Engineers and Civil Estimators in many Oil & Gas (EPC and EPICOM) industry in Nigeria.

I work with one.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Trendy247: 9:13am On Mar 12, 2018
Nice..

Abeg o I need help here, just fell in love with architectural design, so I decided to try something with archicad but got stucked somewhere.. I'm an electrical engineer.

Pls how do I draw a triangular wall, just lyk the one we hav in the second pix?

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Walelavender(m): 9:26am On Mar 12, 2018
Interesting thread. Can we dwell more on the nitty gritty of the branch of civil engineering than delving into the comparative advantage of other branch of engineering
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Dannyfan(m): 9:46am On Mar 12, 2018
Good morning all. I am a newly admitted student of civil engineering with the aim of becoming a well know structural engineer. I need guidance, advice, tips and many more that can help me in my future profession.
I will also like to work and gain experience from engineers in the house, with the mind to develop Nigeria. I believe growth of any country depends on its structural design of buildings, bridges and more.
I will appreciate if i can be put on the right track.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / A Nairalander Now A Naval Personel / HELP !!!!!!!!!!! Right Abuse By Employers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.