Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking (16635 Views)

All Yoruba People: Let's Get Talking! / Chemical Engineering Versus Mechanical Engineering Forum / Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by omololu251(m): 12:44pm On Mar 16, 2018
Hello House, kindly contact for your pile foundation project.
Drilldeep Engineering Service emmy2410@gmail.com 07060602143
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Adek15(m): 8:41am On Jun 16, 2020
Hello, I am a graduate civil engineer. Please I am looking for a civil/structural engineer to be my mentor. I'd like to learn civil design works especially steel design. I need someone staying in Lagos state (specifically Ajah and environs) or a civil design firm that does construction works too in that area. Please you can reach me on 0.7.0.6.5.8.4.9.0.3.1

1 Like

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Dannyfan(m): 7:43am On Jul 06, 2020
Don't let this thread die.
Which is best in Nigeria to study as Master degree after 1st degree in civil engineering, between Construction Engineering & Management and Structural Engineering?
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by kunlevski003(m): 1:07pm On Aug 25, 2020
Good day, Engineers and the prospective ones.

I can take you on step by step structural analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. Manual design. This is to enhance your understanding of basic terms and procedures of structural design when you start using softwares.

You can reach me on 07069772415. WhatsApp and calls.

Fees are negotiable.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by stanley000: 2:58pm On May 23, 2021
asamaigho:

I really doubt the authenticity of what you are saying,how can an SSCE holder be good in structural design?it's not possible,i repeat it's not possible,unless design means something else to you.....
drafting a drawing is different from designing a structure. AND ONLY CIVIL/STRUCTURAL engineer CAN ACTUALLY DESIGN A STRUCTURE(CIVIL STRUCTURES).
i laff ur ignrance. i have equally seen civil graduates who cant design or draft properly. u think design is all aboyut utilizing softwares and export those nonsence and print it out raw? no wonder alot civil guys are still broke . what we learned in school is different from whats on the outside world. ssce guys who learned under good engrs are designing wonders out there while those new coren guys are still speaking grammers.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by asamaigho(m): 11:29pm On Jul 24, 2021
stanley000:
i laff ur ignrance. i have equally seen civil graduates who cant design or draft properly. u think design is all aboyut utilizing softwares and export those nonsence and print it out raw? no wonder alot civil guys are still broke . what we learned in school is different from whats on the outside world. ssce guys who learned under good engrs are designing wonders out there while those new coren guys are still speaking grammers.

Ignorance at its peak.
Hi and seek knowledge.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by micgray100(m): 5:26am On Aug 15, 2021
Dannyfan:
Don't let this thread die.
Which is best in Nigeria to study as Master degree after 1st degree in civil engineering, between Construction Engineering & Management and Structural Engineering?

I THINK Construction Engineering & Management WILL BE BETTER FOR MASTERS.. FROM EXPERENCE... IT IS EASIER AND YOU LEARN MORE BROADER PERSPECTIVE OF ENGINEEERING CONSTRUCTION
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Dannyfan(m): 2:26pm On Aug 15, 2021
micgray100:

I THINK Construction Engineering & Management WILL BE BETTER FOR MASTERS.. FROM EXPERENCE... IT IS EASIER AND YOU LEARN MORE BROADER PERSPECTIVE OF ENGINEEERING CONSTRUCTION
Okay, are you a graduate of civil engineering?
And please will you be willing to mentor me?
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by micgray100(m): 1:05pm On Aug 16, 2021
Dannyfan:
Okay, are you a graduate of civil engineering?
And please will you be willing to mentor me?

MENTORSHIP is not a problem... feel free to ask me any question... check out one of my topics about Engineering Design and Construction,,,

1 Like

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by gabiomoesu: 5:03am On Jan 26, 2023
SORRY GUYS, LONG POST ALERT

micgray100 Stanley000 Asamaigh0 kunlevski003 manga5 adanny01 Farm1 swiftycool hakeem4 Laplace19 General2COAS Panthera4

Apologies for mentioning so many people. It's just that I would appreciate it if multiple people could provide me with their insights and advice on my career path. I am open to hearing from a variety of perspectives and am grateful for any input that can help me make an informed decision about my future in the field of civil engineering. I understand that everyone's experiences and opinions may differ, and I am happy to gain a comprehensive understanding of the pros and cons of both structural engineering and highway engineering. Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to reading your responses.

Also, let's try and revive this thread!

HERE GOES

I am currently in my final year of studying Civil Engineering, and in my second semester. During the year, I have participated in several career fairs and lectures organised by the university. Until recently, I was certain that I wanted to become a Structural Engineer. This is mainly due to the fact that we have taken a module dedicated to Structures every year, compared to other modules that we have only taken for a single year or semester and then moved on from.

In my first year, I obtained my highest score in the Structure Module we took. The content of the module was mainly mechanics, with a brief introduction to beams, cross-section properties of steel, frames, trusses etc. In my second year, I obtained my highest score in Design of Elements, where we focused mainly on designing steel and concrete slabs and columns. This was where I fell in love with Structural Engineering. As a result, when I applied for internship opportunities, I only applied to Structural Engineering firms. I was fortunate to be selected as the sole intern at a small firm but it was only on for 6 weeks. It was a surreal experience as it involved applying the knowledge I had gained in modules such as Structures, BIM & Design, and Design of Elements. During my training, I struggled with speed when performing calculations and writing reports, but by the last week, I had made significant improvement.

As I entered my third year of university studying Civil Engineering, I was excited to discover Highway Engineering for the first time. Through the coursework we’d just submitted at the start of the year, I learned about designing, constructing, and maintaining roads and found that I truly enjoyed the tasks. The assignment was for us to design a new road joining an existing one, we used guidelines specific to the UK and the council, similar to using Eurocode to design structural elements. We determine specifications like design traffic, geometrical design, structural design, pavement, and foundation design. We also used Civil 3D—similar to how BIM is used in structural design of buildings—for structural analysis of the road. The project was a great experience, and executing it with my friends made me realise that there was more to Civil Engineering practice than just Structural Engineering.

This new realisation has put me in a tough spot, particularly with the career programs our university has been organising. I've been considering changing my LinkedIn bio to reflect my interest in Highway Engineering instead of just Structural Engineering and Designing. The main reason for my predicament is that I only plan to work in the UK for about 10 years. My ultimate goal is to take my skills back to Nigeria and find a good job in a multinational company or big firm, where I will be valued for my expertise and not necessarily have to start my own company right away.

I have reservations about the prevalence of structural engineering positions in Nigeria as it is here. In the UK, it is not legal for contractors to build without the approval of a structural engineer or other qualified professional in cases where building regulations require it. This applies to both new construction and major renovations of existing buildings. Whereas in Nigeria, I am not sure if contractors even value the input of structural engineers. In 2021, luxury housing estate developer Femi Osibona, who died in a 21-storey building collapse his company was building, was reported to have disregarded the advice of structural and electrical engineers. He also complained about how they love to overestimate materials needed for projects. As a matter of fact, a letter was discovered from the structural engineering firm hired for the project, long before the building crashed, where they informed Femi and his company of their wish to part ways due to Femi’s company’s deviation from their original plans.

On the other hand, road construction projects are ongoing throughout Nigeria, including my village. I am aware that many of our roads are not designed for safe use by all types of commuters, including cars, commercial buses, emergency services, and pedestrians. To address this, there is a need for measures such as installing signals for pedestrians to cross safely, creating dedicated bus lanes, and dedicating lanes for cyclists. These needs are not limited to rural areas, as major roads in metropolitan cities like Abuja and Lagos also have unshared roads. And this is in addition to new roads that must be built or dilapidated ones that will be repaired. I think I’ll stop here for now, before I write a novel! Haha.

As I move forward in my career, I would like to seek guidance from experienced professionals in both Structural Engineering and Highway Engineering. I am eager to learn more about the opportunities and challenges in each field, as well as the potential for growth and development in each area. If you have any advice or insights to share, I would be grateful to hear from you.

2 Likes

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by General2COAS(m): 7:09am On Aug 06, 2023
gabiomoesu:
SORRY GUYS, LONG POST ALERT

micgray100 Stanley000 Asamaigh0 kunlevski003 manga5 adanny01 Farm1 swiftycool hakeem4 Laplace19 General2COAS Panthera4

Apologies for mentioning so many people. It's just that I would appreciate it if multiple people could provide me with their insights and advice on my career path. I am open to hearing from a variety of perspectives and am grateful for any input that can help me make an informed decision about my future in the field of civil engineering. I understand that everyone's experiences and opinions may differ, and I am happy to gain a comprehensive understanding of the pros and cons of both structural engineering and highway engineering. Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to reading your responses.

Also, let's try and revive this thread!

HERE GOES

I am currently in my final year of studying Civil Engineering, and in my second semester. During the year, I have participated in several career fairs and lectures organised by the university. Until recently, I was certain that I wanted to become a Structural Engineer. This is mainly due to the fact that we have taken a module dedicated to Structures every year, compared to other modules that we have only taken for a single year or semester and then moved on from.

In my first year, I obtained my highest score in the Structure Module we took. The content of the module was mainly mechanics, with a brief introduction to beams, cross-section properties of steel, frames, trusses etc. In my second year, I obtained my highest score in Design of Elements, where we focused mainly on designing steel and concrete slabs and columns. This was where I fell in love with Structural Engineering. As a result, when I applied for internship opportunities, I only applied to Structural Engineering firms. I was fortunate to be selected as the sole intern at a small firm but it was only on for 6 weeks. It was a surreal experience as it involved applying the knowledge I had gained in modules such as Structures, BIM & Design, and Design of Elements. During my training, I struggled with speed when performing calculations and writing reports, but by the last week, I had made significant improvement.

As I entered my third year of university studying Civil Engineering, I was excited to discover Highway Engineering for the first time. Through the coursework we’d just submitted at the start of the year, I learned about designing, constructing, and maintaining roads and found that I truly enjoyed the tasks. The assignment was for us to design a new road joining an existing one, we used guidelines specific to the UK and the council, similar to using Eurocode to design structural elements. We determine specifications like design traffic, geometrical design, structural design, pavement, and foundation design. We also used Civil 3D—similar to how BIM is used in structural design of buildings—for structural analysis of the road. The project was a great experience, and executing it with my friends made me realise that there was more to Civil Engineering practice than just Structural Engineering.

This new realisation has put me in a tough spot, particularly with the career programs our university has been organising. I've been considering changing my LinkedIn bio to reflect my interest in Highway Engineering instead of just Structural Engineering and Designing. The main reason for my predicament is that I only plan to work in the UK for about 10 years. My ultimate goal is to take my skills back to Nigeria and find a good job in a multinational company or big firm, where I will be valued for my expertise and not necessarily have to start my own company right away.

I have reservations about the prevalence of structural engineering positions in Nigeria as it is here. In the UK, it is not legal for contractors to build without the approval of a structural engineer or other qualified professional in cases where building regulations require it. This applies to both new construction and major renovations of existing buildings. Whereas in Nigeria, I am not sure if contractors even value the input of structural engineers. In 2021, luxury housing estate developer Femi Osibona, who died in a 21-storey building collapse his company was building, was reported to have disregarded the advice of structural and electrical engineers. He also complained about how they love to overestimate materials needed for projects. As a matter of fact, a letter was discovered from the structural engineering firm hired for the project, long before the building crashed, where they informed Femi and his company of their wish to part ways due to Femi’s company’s deviation from their original plans.

On the other hand, road construction projects are ongoing throughout Nigeria, including my village. I am aware that many of our roads are not designed for safe use by all types of commuters, including cars, commercial buses, emergency services, and pedestrians. To address this, there is a need for measures such as installing signals for pedestrians to cross safely, creating dedicated bus lanes, and dedicating lanes for cyclists. These needs are not limited to rural areas, as major roads in metropolitan cities like Abuja and Lagos also have unshared roads. And this is in addition to new roads that must be built or dilapidated ones that will be repaired. I think I’ll stop here for now, before I write a novel! Haha.

As I move forward in my career, I would like to seek guidance from experienced professionals in both Structural Engineering and Highway Engineering. I am eager to learn more about the opportunities and challenges in each field, as well as the potential for growth and development in each area. If you have any advice or insights to share, I would be grateful to hear from you.

Apologies for the late reply as I've been away for a while.

From your writeup, I could deduce that you're not studying in Nigeria. If that's the case, I'd advise you remain there and struggle to build a name for yourself in any of the engineering coys while looking for opportunities that would take you to the middle east where civil engineering is being pushed. (An example is Atkins and others)

Coming to Nigeria to practice;
sadly I won't advice you to come back in the name of practicing until measures are put in place to checkmate the activities of quacks which surpasses the pros within the field. Due to the nefarious attitude of those at the helm of affairs.
In other developed nations, the engineering body is the lead in every physical Engineering/building structures and approves such before commencement but here in Nigeria, it never existed.

Civil engineering is very broad if you take time to reflect on it and the natural environment.
Have you considered specializing in other areas apart from structures?

If you've made up your mind to practice as a structural/highway engineer, the middle east would be a better challenging environment to break boundaries as that's what I'm currently working on.

That's my one cent.
If you have any questions feel free.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by General2COAS(m): 7:45am On Aug 06, 2023
isaacsegun:
please I want you Guyz to help my life. i'm undergraduate student in 500L, at this my level I can't design common 2storey building. i will be happy if there is any book that can be recommend to me or tutorial video that will improve my knowledge on design of structures.
Don't panic structures aren't designed as whole rather in bits and their performance as a whole.

Simply learn the basics of loading, load transmission, analysis of individual members and types starting with one way slab then two way, ribbed, waffle then beams; simply support, continuous, overhang, cantilever then columns, foundation; pad, raft & beam, raft, cellular raft, piles( here you'll need knowledge of geotechnics even if given the results)
Retaining walls.
With your knowledge of the above, you'd be prepared to design a bridge since you have the basic design knowledge for both R.C.C and steel.

Try source for a start textbooks that have been simplified
1. Reinforced Concrete Design by Dr V. N Oyenuga & foundation design by same author.
2. Reinforced Concrete Structure Design by Engr. Lawrence Ettu
3. Design of structural elements by Chanakya Arya(you can get softcopy then print)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UPDATE: Npower Sent Out Acknowledgment Of Application / Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / What Certifications Can I Take IN QA/QC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.