Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking (16637 Views)

All Yoruba People: Let's Get Talking! / Chemical Engineering Versus Mechanical Engineering Forum / Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by manga5: 9:48am On Mar 12, 2018
Nice thread. For this thread to be beneficial for all, we should shear materials such as books, training videos, softwares and short notes. Actually, Civil Engineering is very wide,I don't know if this thread is solely about structural Engineering which in itself is actually wide as it is relevant in several areas.Example include building, bridges, flood control,oil and gas, telecommunication tower etc in fact, anywhere there is concrete and steel, the service of a structural engineer is needed.

1 Like

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by maxnedu11(m): 10:10am On Mar 12, 2018
Trendy247:
Nice..

Abeg o I need help here, just fell in love with architectural design, so I decided to try something with archicad but got stucked somewhere.. I'm an electrical engineer.

Pls how do I draw a triangular wall, just lyk the one we hav in the second pix?
that's the roof which could be hip, gable roof e.t.c click on the roof command on the archicad toolbars and play with the roof command you can watch and download tutorials on creating roof from youtube.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by alexzeko(m): 10:10am On Mar 12, 2018
We deal with Architectural Designs, Building construction, Building services consultancy, Facility Management and Project management. Facebook: https://facebook.com/FutureInvestmentClubOfNigeria/ instagram: http://Instagram.com/alexzeko_construct_ltd
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Trendy247: 10:24am On Mar 12, 2018
maxnedu11:
that's the roof which could be hip, gable roof e.t.c click on the roof command on the archicad toolbars and play with the roof command you can watch and download tutorials on creating roof from youtube.
Tnx bro, av downloaded so many tutorials already but av not seen any with that roof type. Cud u pls share a link?
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by kayzeeh(m): 10:27am On Mar 12, 2018
pls can we have whatsapp group for this topic
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by kayzeeh(m): 10:32am On Mar 12, 2018
can we have whatsapp group for dis
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Nobody: 10:46am On Mar 12, 2018
seyeoba:
Please what branch of Civil Engineering is most applicable to the Oil and Gas Industry?

Structural is good, geotechnical is good too, especially the later, very few people in practice, still do your research by yourself. And please don't limit yourself to oil industry, you'd be more relevant as a foundation engineer than any oil and gas specialization, and guess what, foundation engineering is still a crucial part of the oil industry. Just do your research and follow your passion.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by princejones(m): 10:59am On Mar 12, 2018
Good platform, cheers to everyone
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by asamaigho(m): 11:04am On Mar 12, 2018
candylips:
structural engineering and oil and gas doesn't mix. Try to get into JB for examaple

that's far from the truth,....d design of warehouses,habours,pipe support system,containment tanks etc are all in the field of civil engineering,via structural and geotechnical .

take note.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by elvisscientist(m): 11:10am On Mar 12, 2018
fufu pounding machine that has gave nairalanders millions

fufu pounding has been stressing using the manual method and we have designed a machine that can reduce your stress and make you a millionaire in months
have been using this machine for two years and have made money through this awesome fufu machine

about the machine

its easy to operate
its pounds the fufu very smoothly and can be consumed after pounding immidiately
doesnt habour microbes as the machine has a pot that can be cleaned after use
uses fuel as its source of power
less noise and can be used in your kitchen

intrested persons should contact me on
whatsapp...08103107555
email..elvisfrosh@gmail.com

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by asamaigho(m): 11:21am On Mar 12, 2018
Dannyfan:
Good morning all. I am a newly admitted student of civil engineering with the aim of becoming a well know structural engineer. I need guidance, advice, tips and many more that can help me in my future profession.
I will also like to work and gain experience from engineers in the house, with the mind to develop Nigeria. I believe growth of any country depends on its structural design of buildings, bridges and more.
I will appreciate if i can be put on the right track.

I will advice you to take very seriously your structural analysis lectures, u need to understand the behaviour of structures under various loading condition and their mode of failure,this is the basis of design.
don't read to pass exams alone,go d extra mile to understand, strength of materials and structural analysis, when dat is done,most structural problems won't come as a shock to you.
secondly take your GEOTECHNICAL classes seriously because all( I mean all oil and gas structures depend on their foundation)...from mega pipe support systems,to tank foundations,pig launcher foundations, piles,cofferdams..etc, the truth is geotech is even more active in the oil and gas industry than structural...

AS A CIVIL ENGINEER PLEASE DEVELOP KEEN INTEREST IN THE LISTED ABOVE..
ALSO ENSURE THAT UR SURVEY CLASSES ARE TAKEN SERIOUSLY,BECAUSE IN A MEGA PROJECT,YOU WILL BE CONTROLLING PERSONS OF VARIOUS FIELDS,...U DONT WANT TO LOOK LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER.

2 Likes

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Dannyfan(m): 12:06pm On Mar 12, 2018
asamaigho:

I will advice you to take very seriously your structural analysis lectures, u need to understand the behaviour of structures under various loading condition and their mode of failure,this is the basis of design.
don't read to pass exams alone,go d extra mile to understand, strength of materials and structural analysis, when dat is done,most structural problems won't come as a shock to you.
secondly take your GEOTECHNICAL classes seriously because all( I mean all oil and gas structures depend on their foundation)...from mega pipe support systems,to tank foundations,pig launcher foundations, piles,cofferdams..etc, the truth is geotech is even more active in the oil and gas industry than structural...

AS A CIVIL ENGINEER PLEASE DEVELOP KEEN INTEREST IN THE LISTED ABOVE..
ALSO ENSURE THAT UR SURVEY CLASSES ARE TAKEN SERIOUSLY,BECAUSE IN A MEGA PROJECT,YOU WILL BE CONTROLLING PERSONS OF VARIOUS FIELDS,...U DONT WANT TO LOOK LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER.
Thanks alot for advice, and what software is mostly good for a civil engineering student.
And also as a novice i have never think of it that a civil/structural engineer can work in an oil&gas sector. My thought was that structural engineer are for; 1. Determining the steel and concrete of a building, bridge 2. Designing of building structure i.e. the skeleton of a building.
Sir, i will like you to explain the roles of structural engineer in oil and gas sector and their role any where they can fit in for engineering work.
And also help me broaden my knowledge of a geotechnical engineering/engineer
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by hancock(m): 12:32pm On Mar 12, 2018
Civil Structural Engineer is needed for immediate employment

1. Candidtate MUST be Proficient in the use of AutoCad, CAD RC, Orion and other major structural engineering softwares
2. Canditate MUST not be more than 30 years of age
3. Candidtae MUST reside in Lagos Nigeria

If you meet these requirements kindly forward your CV to recruitmentnbl@outlook.com
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by asamaigho(m): 1:22pm On Mar 12, 2018
Dannyfan:

Thanks alot for advice, and what software is mostly good for a civil engineering student.
And also as a novice i have never think of it that a civil/structural engineer can work in an oil&gas sector. My thought was that structural engineer are for; 1. Determining the steel and concrete of a building, bridge 2. Designing of building structure i.e. the skeleton of a building.
Sir, i will like you to explain the roles of structural engineer in oil and gas sector and their role any where they can fit in for engineering work.
And also help me broaden my knowledge of a geotechnical engineering/engineer

OK...
OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY IS BASICALLY...ABOUT LOCATION OF OIL RESERVES, DRILLING,STORAGE/METERING AND SELLING.
ITS A MULTI FIELD ENTERPRISE..
HOW DOES THE CIVIL(STRUCTURAL/GEOTECH/ENVIRONMENTAL/SURVEY) ENGINEER COME IN?.

WE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCT AND STRUCTURES SUCH AS ( ALL FOUNDATION,PILING WORKS, STEEL AND CONRETE STRUCTURES,LIKE FABRICATION SHED,WAREHOUSES,ROADS, COFFERDAMS,OFSHORE PLATFORMS,WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEMS, PIPE SUPPORT SYSTEMS..ETC.

FIRST I MUST TELL U THAT CIVIL ENGINEERING IS "BROADER THAN BROAD STREET".
THE FIRST SET OF PROFESSIONALS IN ANY CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS ARE CIVIL ENGINEERS, WE DETERMINE THE TYPE OF FOUNDATIONS TO BE USED,GIVE THE LAYOUT OF VARIOUS STRUCTURES,....SOME STRUCTURES ARE MECHANICAL,E. G STEEL TANKS AND PIPING,..BUT THEY STILL NEED THE CIVIL ENGINEERS FOR TANK FOUNDATIONS AND ROOF TRUSS DESIGNS....IF IT IS A GAS Containment TANK, THEN, ITS PURELY CIVIL ENGINEERING.
FOR OFFSHORE PLATFORMS, WE DESIGN THOSE STRUCTURES WITH A SOFTWARE CALLED (SACS)..

THE TRUTH IS MOST OF SUCH PROJECTS ARE CONTRACTED OUT,...WHILE THE MAINTENANCE AND DAILY ROUTING WORK ARE DONE BY THE PARENT COMPANY(IOCs),of which they will employ and train graduates from any field to run......we even have guys dat studied agric science working as instrumentation supervisors.

PLEASE NOTE: UNLIKE OTHER FIELDS, CIVIL/STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING IS A PROFESSIONAL FIELD...JUST LIKE DOCTORS,...what I mean is, we supervise various technicians/artisans to achieve a desired result,..eh fitters,welders,masons,capenters...etc.

FOR INSTANCE YOU MUST HAVE A CIVIL engineering BACKGROUND TO PRACTICE STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING.
for piping,....all u need is either a mechanical,chemical or civil engineering background.

FEEL FREE FOR MORE ENQUIRIES...ignore d auto spell

2 Likes

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by klbakare(m): 1:29pm On Mar 12, 2018
adanny01:

1. Tower design softwares are available in Nigeria, however, its not so lucrative for obvious reasons. Transmission/substation towers are made from galvanised steel which is not made in Nigeria. This means that if you design in Nigeria, the manufacture will happen offshore. This leads to a second problem which is testing. Every designed tower must be rigorously tested before the manufacturer supplies the tower members. Testing involves erecting the tower and subjecting to different forces it likely face. Erecting the tower involves erecting a foundation an other testing equipment. These manufacturers of towers already have equipment for testing specific types of towers which design they have. A new design may cost more to test so Nigerian contractors prefer the manufacturer's design. Most contractors will go into agreements with tower manufacturers to design, test and supply. Thats the reason design is not made in Nigeria. I worked with a consultant in this sector, most of the design they submit to us for vetting is made by the manufacturer, while the contractor just puts its name. Any comment we make on the design is refered back to the manufacturer to make necessary revisions.

2. No experience is useless. Tower erection is mechanical.

3. Safety is an important part of engineering. Its a branch of engineering itself so i will encourage you to keep to your personal safety even if your employer doesnot care. Nigerian law enforcement is so weak that contractors get away with such things. I am very sure that safety equipment is captured in the BEME but they will claim this money without using it. I have seen situations where a miscellaneous item in the BEME with a sum of N23m was accessed by using 5 bags of cement and a trip of sharp sand.

Dear sir, you will be surprised to know that galvanized steel is actually being made in Nigeria. Bear in mind that galvanized steel is normal steel of whatever specification with zinc coating on it. Commonly used method is hot dipping. There are companies here in Nigeria that offer this service. I am a welder with a B.tech in agricultural engineering. I fabricate structural steel components designed mostly by structural engineers. e.g trusses, stanchions, rafters etc. I really wish to learn how to design water tank stands and trusses. You will discover that welders are usually left alone to do all the thinking when water tank stand projects are to awarded while it usually ought to be designed by a structural engineer. I have this feeling all the time that we welders always over-design tank stands, making it very expensive. Perhaps if am able to understand the design of tank stands, I will be able to launch a solution in the structural steel fabrication arena. I will appreciate whatever assistance you can render, I am also render to partner with you on this particular plan. And if u have any structural steel job, I am readily available.

1 Like

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Dannyfan(m): 1:53pm On Mar 12, 2018
asamaigho:

OK...
OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY IS BASICALLY...ABOUT LOCATION OF OIL RESERVES, DRILLING,STORAGE/METERING AND SELLING.
ITS A MULTI FIELD ENTERPRISE..
HOW DOES THE CIVIL(STRUCTURAL/GEOTECH/ENVIRONMENTAL/SURVEY) ENGINEER COME IN?.

WE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCT AND STRUCTURES SUCH AS ( ALL FOUNDATION,PILING WORKS, STEEL AND CONRETE STRUCTURES,LIKE FABRICATION SHED,WAREHOUSES,ROADS, COFFERDAMS,OFSHORE PLATFORMS,WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEMS, PIPE SUPPORT SYSTEMS..ETC.

FIRST I MUST TELL U THAT CIVIL ENGINEERING IS "BROADER THAN BROAD STREET".
THE FIRST SET OF PROFESSIONALS IN ANY CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS ARE CIVIL ENGINEERS, WE DETERMINE THE TYPE OF FOUNDATIONS TO BE USED,GIVE THE LAYOUT OF VARIOUS STRUCTURES,....SOME STRUCTURES ARE MECHANICAL,E. G STEEL TANKS AND PIPING,..BUT THEY STILL NEED THE CIVIL ENGINEERS FOR TANK FOUNDATIONS AND ROOF TRUSS DESIGNS....IF IT IS A GAS Containment TANK, THEN, ITS PURELY CIVIL ENGINEERING.
FOR OFFSHORE PLATFORMS, WE DESIGN THOSE STRUCTURES WITH A SOFTWARE CALLED (SACS)..

THE TRUTH IS MOST OF SUCH PROJECTS ARE CONTRACTED OUT,...WHILE THE MAINTENANCE AND DAILY ROUTING WORK ARE DONE BY THE PARENT COMPANY(IOCs),of which they will employ and train graduates from any field to run......we even have guys dat studied agric science working as instrumentation supervisors.

PLEASE NOTE: UNLIKE OTHER FIELDS, CIVIL/STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING IS A PROFESSIONAL FIELD...JUST LIKE DOCTORS,...what I mean is, we supervise various technicians/artisans to achieve a desired result,..eh fitters,welders,masons,capenters...etc.

FOR INSTANCE YOU MUST HAVE A CIVIL engineering BACKGROUND TO PRACTICE STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING.
for piping,....all u need is either a mechanical,chemical or civil engineering background.

FEEL FREE FOR MORE ENQUIRIES...ignore d auto spell
Thanks so much.
Is oil n gas sector more interesting and befitting for a structural engineer?
And what software will be ok as elementary for structural engineering student? On becoming a structural engineer, which sector or company can give the best of experience as an IT student or Internship?
Anyways i am just starting, i just hv to ask to hv d basic knowledge of what i am doing so that i wunt b mislead.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by chiddyj: 3:21pm On Mar 12, 2018
meetolu:
Structural engineering professionals in the house? Lets hook up and get talking.

Yeah! If it stands or function to the benefit of mankind and resistant the deformation cursed by forces of nature
acting against it? It is Structural. So lets get ourselves a voice around here.

Some questions to get this thread rolling

i. If you work in a Design firm what is it like. Tell us about your job.
ii. How can a young structural engineering graduate go about getting an opportunity to get training in a structural engineering design firms.
iii. What is the career path ie. stages of development forĀ  structural Engineering graduates in Nigeria.
iv. What are Software to learn,certification to get,institutions to register with and how it helps.
v. What step to take to get working experience when one have not been employed yet. Does freelancing/volunteering opportunity exist?
vi. ?etc!!!!!

All the Professionals in the House you are welcome and all Engineers working let us contribute to enlighten others.

Thank you.

NB: This is for Structural Engineering aspirants and practitioners.lets talk the talk here.
Bring on your comments, contributions or questions.

to the structural engineers in the house.. I have a steel structure I have to paint. this is a 288 sq m base and it is 7 floors high with each floor 3m high. the beams and stanchion are all H_iron. the floor pans and stairs will also require painting. I want to know how dis can be calculated. any helpful info will get rewarded. pls all responses must quote me as I will be busy and can only return much later to assess the responses. thanks. any structural engineer in asaba/onitsha or ph/eket axis can drop their fone numbers. thanks
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by asamaigho(m): 4:06pm On Mar 12, 2018
Dannyfan:
Thanks so much.
Is oil n gas sector more interesting and befitting for a structural engineer?
And what software will be ok as elementary for structural engineering student? On becoming a structural engineer, which sector or company can give the best of experience as an IT student or Internship?
Anyways i am just starting, i just hv to ask to hv d basic knowledge of what i am doing so that i wunt b mislead.
I usually don't advice young engineers to go for softwares for a start...I prefer the to get d substance of manual analysis and design before going into computer based programs....
for design of steel and concrete the following are very good
1.staadpro.....my favorite, u can also design shell plates and above ground tanks,even tower mast(MTN mast)..
2. tekla structures
3. ram .. structures
4. prota steel
5.prota structures
6.safe
7.etabs
8.sap2000
for foundation designs
1 ram foundation
2 advance staad foundation
3.prota details
4.tekla tedds
there are lots more tho!.....must tell u dat in all of your pursuit let God be your driving force through JESUS Christ and you will get fulfilment.

3 Likes

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by micgray100(m): 4:35pm On Mar 12, 2018
Good development for my fellow structural engineers

Engr. A.L Onakomaya MNSE, R. COREN
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by adanny01(m): 6:07pm On Mar 12, 2018
klbakare:

Dear sir, you will be surprised to know that galvanized steel is actually being made in Nigeria. Bear in mind that galvanized steel is normal steel of whatever specification with zinc coating on it. Commonly used method is hot dipping. There are companies here in Nigeria that offer this service. I am a welder with a B.tech in agricultural engineering. I fabricate structural steel components designed mostly by structural engineers. e.g trusses, stanchions, rafters etc. I really wish to learn how to design water tank stands and trusses. You will discover that welders are usually left alone to do all the thinking when water tank stand projects are to awarded while it usually ought to be designed by a structural engineer. I have this feeling all the time that we welders always over-design tank stands, making it very expensive. Perhaps if am able to understand the design of tank stands, I will be able to launch a solution in the structural steel fabrication arena. I will appreciate whatever assistance you can render, I am also render to partner with you on this particular plan. And if u have any structural steel job, I am readily available.

Yes, i know. We ordered galvanised steel a lot of times locally. One time, because of the timeline demanded by the client, we bought a whole tower from Nigeria. However, quality was a serious issue.

These are projects build to last almost a life time. Quality is a big issue here. Rusting is not taken lightly in power transmission lines, only the best galvanization is required.

Secondly, I am not aware if tower testing facilities are available in Nigeria, it means even though produced in Nigeria, a sample tower still has to be taken for tests.

Note that, towers are not welded, they are bolted. If you weld, you have to galvanise again. When required galvanization process is hot dip method, after welding, you cant hot dip the entire tower.

Steel design should be left to the structural engineer. To teach you design is not a day job. Even civil engrs who have gone through it in school may still have challenges in the field. If you really want to design i think the shortest route is become a draftsman to a structural engr, u will learn from his experience.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by klbakare(m): 8:04pm On Mar 12, 2018
adanny01:

Yes, i know. We ordered galvanised steel a lot of times locally. One time, because of the timeline demanded by the client, we bought a whole tower from Nigeria. However, quality was a serious issue.

These are projects build to last almost a life time. Quality is a big issue here. Rusting is not taken lightly in power transmission lines, only the best galvanization is required.

Secondly, I am not aware if tower testing facilities are available in Nigeria, it means even though produced in Nigeria, a sample tower still has to be taken for tests.

Note that, towers are not welded, they are bolted. If you weld, you have to galvanise again. When required galvanization process is hot dip method, after welding, you cant hot dip the entire tower.

Steel design should be left to the structural engineer. To teach you design is not a day job. Even civil engrs who have gone through it in school may still have challenges in the field. If you really want to design i think the shortest route is become a draftsman to a structural engr, u will learn from his experience.
we also do bolted structures here in Nigeria. There is no need welding after galvanizing. The only challenge I see here is the integrity of the company doing the galvanizing. Their ability to provide a galvanized coating to whatever thickness of cover specified by the design team. as per the design stuff, Please be guided accordingly that I am also an engineer. Although an agricultural engineer, we also do a little bit of structural analysis, forces on trusses, limit state method and other analysis of load conditions on structures. Agricultural engineering is often looked down upon due largely to the insufficient grasp of the scope of the discipline by outsiders. I will take your advice on working with a structural engineer as a drafts man. If you have structural steel fabrication job Sha, am AVAILABLE, am a welder.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by adanny01(m): 8:34pm On Mar 12, 2018
klbakare:
we also do bolted structures here in Nigeria. There is no need welding after galvanizing. The only challenge I see here is the integrity of the company doing the galvanizing. Their ability to provide a galvanized coating to whatever thickness of cover specified by the design team. as per the design stuff, Please be guided accordingly that I am also an engineer. Although an agricultural engineer, we also do a little bit of structural analysis, forces on trusses, limit state method and other analysis of load conditions on structures. Agricultural engineering is often looked down upon due largely to the insufficient grasp of the scope of the discipline by outsiders. I will take your advice on working with a structural engineer as a drafts man. If you have structural steel fabrication job Sha, am AVAILABLE, am a welder.

Yes, i know you are Agric engr. I respect them. I had several Agric engrs as friends and am still very close to one. I regard Agric and Metallurgical engrng as branches of mechanical engineering.

Reason i suggested being a draftsman is that, in trying to teach you, i may take time trying to show u some basics wasting time in the process. Being a drafts man, you will just see design process being carried out and you will grasp it faster.

I have a friend who was an SSCE holder but good at structural design because he was a draftsman to a qualified structural engineer. He later got ND and now on HND.

By the way, where is ur location?
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by MightyHands(m): 8:57pm On Mar 12, 2018
any structural engr in the house who can design perfect frames for roof trusses..
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by yungmin: 9:39pm On Mar 12, 2018
MightyHands:
any structural engr in the house who can design perfect frames for roof trusses..

Kindly contact me. If you are in Abuja, we could meet up: I would PM you
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by MightyHands(m): 9:41pm On Mar 12, 2018
yungmin:

Kindly contact me. If you are in Abuja, we could meet up: I would PM you
I live in Calabar.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by yungmin: 9:46pm On Mar 12, 2018
chiddyj:

I could assist you. However, it is quite cumbersome to get such quantities inbsteel. Do you have a model of the steel structure or just hard copies. As a clue, take the cross section perimeter of each member and multiply it by the length. That would give you the area needed to be painted.

to the structural engineers in the house.. I have a steel structure I have to paint. this is a 288 sq m base and it is 7 floors high with each floor 3m high. the beams and stanchion are all H_iron. the floor pans and stairs will also require painting. I want to know how dis can be calculated. any helpful info will get rewarded. pls all responses must quote me as I will be busy and can only return much later to assess the responses. thanks. any structural engineer in asaba/onitsha or ph/eket axis can drop their fone numbers. thanks
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by klbakare(m): 9:52pm On Mar 12, 2018
adanny01:

Yes, i know you are Agric engr. I respect them. I had several Agric engrs as friends and am still very close to one. I regard Agric and Metallurgical engrng as branches of mechanical engineering.

Reason i suggested being a draftsman is that, in trying to teach you, i may take time trying to show u some basics wasting time in the process. Being a drafts man, you will just see design process being carried out and you will grasp it faster.

I have a friend who was an SSCE holder but good at structural design because he was a draftsman to a qualified structural engineer. He later got ND and now on HND.

am In Lagos sir, i was just trying to be on the offensive. Because I know a lot of literates who will say an agric engineer belongs only in the farm.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by asamaigho(m): 10:10pm On Mar 12, 2018
adanny01:

I really doubt the authenticity of what you are saying,how can an SSCE holder be good in structural design?it's not possible,i repeat it's not possible,unless design means something else to you.....
drafting a drawing is different from designing a structure. AND ONLY CIVIL/STRUCTURAL engineer CAN ACTUALLY DESIGN A STRUCTURE(CIVIL STRUCTURES).

1 Like

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by Dannyfan(m): 1:41am On Mar 13, 2018
asamaigho:

I usually don't advice young engineers to go for softwares for a start...I prefer the to get d substance of manual analysis and design before going into computer based programs....
1.staadpro.....my favorite, u can also design shell plates and above ground tanks,even tower mast(MTN mast)..
2. tekla structures
3. ram .. structures
4. prota steel
5.prota structures
6.safe
7.etabs
8.sap2000
for foundation designs
1 ram foundation
3.prota details
4.tekla tedds
there are lots more tho!.....must tell u dat in all of your pursuit let God be your driving force through JESUS Christ and you will get fulfilment.
Thanks alot. Amen, i must get there by the special Grace of God.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by adanny01(m): 7:37am On Mar 13, 2018
asamaigho:

I really doubt the authenticity of what you are saying,how can an SSCE holder be good in structural design?it's not possible,i repeat it's not possible,unless design means something else to you.....
drafting a drawing is different from designing a structure. AND ONLY CIVIL/STRUCTURAL engineer CAN ACTUALLY DESIGN A STRUCTURE(CIVIL STRUCTURES).

What i meant to say was he has made good money at it. Lets not forget, he uses structural design softwares. He knows these softwares in and out. He knows basic design inputs and understands design results. He knows loading parameters. He has 8years of experience in structural design and has gotten an ND in civil engineering while currently in 2nd year HND.

In another office, an architectural design firm, they have secondary school graduates designing for them. Currently, all the boys are architectural students in different schools. They learnt architectural design before they got admitted. They did small jobs for their boss who will made final revisions yo their designs before submitting them to building control.

My friend is an electrical engr, he does both Mechanical and Electrical services design with all thr calculations. He even taught a mechanical engr how to design mechanical services.

The difference between them and us for example is that we take responsibility for our design while they will not. I put my name on design, he puts someone else. One time i refused a church auditorium design job because i was given a very short completion timeline. He accepted it knowing it was impossible within the time. The job he delivered was just copy and paste. They kept going back and forth because Abj development control made several comments. To them its just about the money, to us its about both money and reputation.

2 Likes

Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by isaacsegun(m): 1:06pm On Mar 13, 2018
please I want you Guyz to help my life. i'm undergraduate student in 500L, at this my level I can't design common 2storey building. i will be happy if there is any book that can be recommend to me or tutorial video that will improve my knowledge on design of structures.
Re: Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking by crowniran(m): 7:33pm On Mar 13, 2018
asamaigho:

2. tekla structures
3. ram .. structures
4. prota steel
5.prota structures
6.safe
7.etabs
8.sap2000
for foundation designs
1 ram foundation
3.prota details
4.tekla tedds

evening...can i email you to ve your whatsapp contact?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UPDATE: Npower Sent Out Acknowledgment Of Application / Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / What Certifications Can I Take IN QA/QC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.