Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,802 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W (27928 Views)

Patoranking Reunites With Mom In Qatar After Five Years / Adesua Etomi And Banky W Tease Each Other On Instagram (Photos) / Banky W: "I Am A Married Man Don't Touch Me" - Female Fan Caressing His Joystick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by MediaLife: 6:48am On Nov 11, 2018
Last night, Nigerian superstar singer, Bankole Wellington aka "Banky W" shared a rare story about his family when he announced his candidacy for a seat at the Federal House of Representatives.

According to him, “In1981, I was born to a father from Lagos, and a mother from Cross Rivers both of whom struggled and were it not for the Grace of God, had no business receiving University educations abroad. My Dad was an orphan. My mother’s story was not much different. She was born in Calabar, to a single mom, she was sent off to live with her relatives in Lagos".

He went on to say;
Neither of them grew up in particularly fortunate circumstances… but they held on to a set of beliefs that I have since inherited.
In 1985, our family returned to Lagos. Like most families with a limited income, sacrifices had to be made. My parents realized at that time, that they couldn’t afford to rent a nice flat AND send us to a good school at the same time - it would be one or the other.
And so we attended Corona Primary school in Ikoyi, while we lived on the ground floor flat of a sinking building in Akoka, Yaba. We were classmates with children of the rich by day, and playmates with children of the street by night.
I remember during the peak of the raining seasons, our flat would literally get flooded and come up to about the knee level, and so Momsie would wake us up early to scoop water in buckets out of our home, before heading off to school and work.
But I went from Corona Primary school to Home Science Secondary school, and in 1999, just like my parents did, I gained admission into a University in the USA.
https://www.mediahelm.com.ng/2018/11/my-dad-was-orphan-my-mother-born-to.html

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Shittaakeem(m): 7:05am On Nov 11, 2018
Wow FTC on FP for the first time in the month of November(My birth month).
This is Good.
Good Luck to you Banky W

I dedicate this space to people born in November.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 11, 2018
Yimu
Everyone has a story to tell,no biggy

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Imustreturn(m): 7:06am On Nov 11, 2018
Everyone has a story bra.. cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by martineverest(m): 7:06am On Nov 11, 2018
unecessary

3 Likes

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Greenarrow01(m): 7:06am On Nov 11, 2018
Lies We know you wanna be a rep But don't claim your parent are very poor and the sent you to a rich kid sch/school abroad too Thier story might be inspiring.. their past bad.. But bro poor people don't even leave in flats

92 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by officialJP(m): 7:08am On Nov 11, 2018
Nobody wey no fit to make am o
Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by moneyadulttube: 7:08am On Nov 11, 2018
They will always come up with fake stories during political campaigns. I wonder what these guys take the masses for.

42 Likes

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Bankalert(m): 7:08am On Nov 11, 2018
they will say anything and tweak it to gather votes...

2 Likes

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by soke02(m): 7:09am On Nov 11, 2018
U self son follow join the political gimmicks

1 Like

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by LOWPEAK: 7:15am On Nov 11, 2018
Hmmm politics o

1 Like

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by ObaKlaz: 7:16am On Nov 11, 2018
''I HAD NO SHOES''_ GEJgrin grin grin

26 Likes

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Pidginwhisper: 7:18am On Nov 11, 2018
This one too don master the act of deception. You been wan form poverty escapee, but you go Corona and study for US which wouldn't had been possible without enough Kudi forget the flooded house part.

We knew of Desmond Elliott not until he added Olushola to name and claimed Lagos boy to win Election. Gbogbo yin ti ta waray po!
undecided

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by ntyce(m): 7:20am On Nov 11, 2018
Yaba was for mid-income earners, you schooled at Corona, school for the rich.

Oga park well, you were born with a silver spoon.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Iamgodwin: 7:24am On Nov 11, 2018
Banky W Declares His Intention To Run For Public Office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPb49EmDOoo
Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by AntiWailer: 7:25am On Nov 11, 2018
Oshey
Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Mega010(m): 7:25am On Nov 11, 2018
good things come to those who wait!!!
Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Awaitingkopa(f): 7:25am On Nov 11, 2018
Sob story Is about to start, political propaganda. How come we've not heard this all this while Banky? But Las las u grew up abroad nah, and till now your brothers and parents live there,. 'm so tired of stuffs like this. Really Banky? Reaaallly?

13 Likes

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by OboOlora(f): 7:26am On Nov 11, 2018
This one de find politics money to fund his chemotherapy!

Thieves everywhere

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Nobody: 7:27am On Nov 11, 2018
I remember Banky in Home Science.Very reserved unlike his friend, Oye. I always thought he was a rich kid. Good to see him doing great things and aspiring to do more.

12 Likes

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by 9jabox(m): 7:28am On Nov 11, 2018
lOL... Banky Banky, you sabi Lai sha!
Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by excel101(m): 7:29am On Nov 11, 2018
Banky W my brother dont try painting a picture as if you're poor. Corona primary school in Ikoyi is not for the poor, and poor families dont live in flats @ Yaba in the 80s. Your parents should be in the middle class then, but you failed to tell us what your dad was doing (probably he had a good job but you want to make us feel you were poor)

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by tuhamworld: 7:29am On Nov 11, 2018
Truth be told
some of these people that we see today had all gone through one pain or the other..
But most of us only know about the sweet side of their story and not the one before

---
Meanwhile if you ever need helping hand with your blog for Setup, Design, Redesign or Technical assistance.. feel free to hit my inbox

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Nobody: 7:31am On Nov 11, 2018
Your parents still had money to send you to a nice school na, this your election story na sad reach, try again

7 Likes

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Vorto: 7:31am On Nov 11, 2018
Is this supposed to be a form of guilt trip?
Prospective politicians sha!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:32am On Nov 11, 2018

And so we attended Corona Primary school in Ikoyi,
I smell lies!

Corona Primary School Ikoyi was an A-Class school in the entire Nigeria as at then and still is. It isn't a school for the broke or poor. That was where elites in Ikoyi and Lagos send their kids to. I attended Hope Primary School, Ikoyi, which shared fence with Corona Primary School. Hope was the school for the broke, civil servants, petty traders, few middle-class and pensioners and was owned by the Eti-Osa LGA, although the standard of education was fairly okay due to the location of the school.

People should desist from lying

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Nobody: 7:37am On Nov 11, 2018
I had no waec result..... Says buhari grin

5 Likes

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by SimplePlan34: 7:40am On Nov 11, 2018
Now I don't want the guy to succeed imagine this butty still dey form pako just to deceive the people. Abegi who is dis one deceiving.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by pascal558(m): 7:42am On Nov 11, 2018
dem nr dey write people off 4 life oh
Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by Omoboricash(m): 7:43am On Nov 11, 2018
for this professional lies, you are disqualified to be member of house of representatives. Your parent were poor yet you attended corona not obalende primary school, not only that you went to school abroad. Don't think you're talking to f00ls? Better face your music career . Nigerians are wiser now. No more stories that touches the heart

12 Likes

Re: 'My Dad Was An Orphan, My Mother Born To A Single Mom In Calabar' - Banky W by bolayei: 7:44am On Nov 11, 2018
Why na Banky w? This your half baked story na wa o. Okay i will make some points

You were born in 1981 but most guys here are younger so wont be able to see your fabu. Because your dad was/is an orphan does not mean he was poor as there is inheritance not saying there was but there could have been. The lagos of 1981 had industries and lagos was as good as london then. With jobs especially for someone born in lagos in those days.

If your family were poor there is no way they will be able to afford corona school fees and transport every day from yaba to ikoyi. There were other good school like corona in surulere like K. KOTUN AND PAMPERS but your poor parents chose ikoyi lol.

Well home science any average person could attend so will let you off, just like average people could afford, K. C, GREG'S, M, B and the likes.

You were so average that you could afford American fees in 1999 we are not talking 80s now.

Banky w take time o... A mo ra wa o, ta ba ri ra wa (we know ourselves when we see ourselves).

If you want to use this fabu and your celeb status for elected position, think of the people that never had the opportunity to enjoy the Nigeria you did and allow competent hand run for office even if you wizman the person like you wiz wizkid in the music industry you can sponsor a person.

I hope you are not talking about a grass to grace story because no grass in your garden but porcelain tiles lol.

MediaLife:
Last night, Nigerian superstar singer, Bankole Wellington aka "Banky W" shared a rare story about his family when he announced his candidacy for a seat at the Federal House of Representatives.

According to him, “In1981, I was born to a father from Lagos, and a mother from Cross Rivers both of whom struggled and were it not for the Grace of God, had no business receiving University educations abroad. My Dad was an orphan. My mother’s story was not much different. She was born in Calabar, to a single mom, she was sent off to live with her relatives in Lagos".

He went on to say;

https://www.mediahelm.com.ng/2018/11/my-dad-was-orphan-my-mother-born-to.html

23 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Okoye Exposes Fan Who Slammed His Music After Asking For Financial Help / Linda Ejiofor's Bridal Shower Photos / Burna Boy Blasted By Tokyo Toni, Blac Chyna's Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.