Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,551 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) - Crime (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) (14853 Views)

Nigerian Men In Usa, Killing Their Imported Wives From Nigeria. / Kidnappers Arrested After Killing Their Victim (Graphic Photos) / (Photo):Nigerian Men In Usa, Killing Their Imported Wives From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 11:48pm On Jul 26, 2010
ROFLMAO!!!

It is nothing but ignorance for anyone to suggest that marrying someone living in Nigeria, maybe with no education at all,  will solve the problem. These cases have happened mostly in marriages with Nigerian brides(women imported straight from Nigeria(villages even) by their killers). And that is the same pattern seen with people from other cultures that have similar idea of men being 'superior beings'.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Cohomology: 11:51pm On Jul 26, 2010
ada24:

don't mind the fool. is it not one story i heard in nigeria where the man beat his pregnant wife to lead to miscarraige and then when she fled to her fathers house told both sides of the extended family that she aborted the baby.

some of these men on this board should take the infalted male ego out of it and look at this intelligently - u cannot behave like an animal in the western world with your wife - if u know that u will loose everything when u divorce work on your marriage - don't kill her or start making her life hell. if she is helping financially u must do little things in the home to help just as she is helping u keep the home. its nt rocket science

When some men are pushed to the wall by women who are out to destroy them and rob them of all they work for, a scorched earth policy is instituted! Anarchy and chaos is the result.

The US legal system must stop being so biased against men that their only recourse to seeking justice is to take matters into their own hands. Stop the bias!!!
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jul 26, 2010
Men and women must adapt.

If the woman adapts while the man remains stuck in Africa, it's only normal for things to end up in tragedy.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 11:53pm On Jul 26, 2010
Cohomology:

When some men are pushed to the wall by women who are out to destroy them and rob them of all they work for, a scorched earth policy is instituted! Anarchy and chaos is the result.

The US legal system must stop being so biased against men that their only recourse to seeking justice is to take matters into their own hands. Stop the bias!!!

I cannot believe a human being can be this CONCEITED! We are speaking here of a human live being sacrified for someone's ego here! Should we maybe allow the men pour acid then on the women instead? Maybe the US legal system should give all men who bring wives back from their native lands a bottle of acid to use instead or something?

Every human being, regardless of age and SEX experiences that feeling( feeling of being pushed against the wall) at one time or another. The vast majority learn to CONTROL their rage/anger and manage it if necessary. To now suggest that RAGE is not only justified but taking it out on another human being or even an animal is also justified only goes to show how barbaric the hearts of those who suggest such really are and how much work needs to be done to get people to understand that the every human being or animal's right to live needs to be respected no matter where you are from and who you think you are.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by chiogo(f): 11:54pm On Jul 26, 2010
ada24:
if she is helping financially u must do little things in the home to help just as she is helping u keep the home. its nt rocket science
That seems to be the problem. They obviously deem themselves too masculine to do house chores, which is funny considering they're not even the "bread-winners" - the role they claim to be theirs. It would interest you to know that these men who supposedly brought their wives to the States and then killed them barely have employment, many of them taxi drivers. The mind boggles. The wives are supposed to be their free pass to success - breadwinner(but don't act like it oo, you're still a slave  grin) while still doing ALL the house chores. Now that'd make her a QUALITY WIFE!
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by THEAMAKA(f): 11:57pm On Jul 26, 2010
Cohomology:

so that makes it okay to kill her? undecided
I can't believe what I'm reading here.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by ada24: 11:59pm On Jul 26, 2010
pushed to which wall.

i know u men prefer the naija situation where u kick the wife out and leave her and the kids to suffer - at least in the states they understand that children need stability and therefore the mother is given the house so that the kids can remain in the house - its not about male bashing but what is best for the children.

and yes a man should feel the full force of the law if he abuses his wife - is she a dog? or is the one u men do back home and kill ur wives and say its kidney failure, cancer or heart attack or she is misbehaving.

yes there are some bad women everywhere - but why go and bring a woman over who will eventually open her eyes wider than those based there - trust me village chicks of today and not the ones of yesterday.

if u know u can't adapt to western life stay in Nigeria - it is very simple or better still move to Afghanistan - i hear there women are treated like second class citizens as well
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by ceasyc(f): 12:14am On Jul 27, 2010
i luv watching women who snapped, 48 hrs, cold case files, real crime channels/stories
d amount of ppl in d US who kill their wives 4 one reason or d other esp because there's separation/divorce/child custody/alimony on d way = its alarming

Nigerian Americans r doing dis 2 shocked shocked shocked

am sure dat men do d same tin (kill their wives) in Nigeria 4 diff reasons than dat of d US but dey r not investigated (thoroughly) or publicised as much as d US n other developed countries

judge judy n judge maybelline's court room shows dat if d man has more money than d woman or she doesnt work he gats 2 pay her, if d woman has more money than d man or he doesnt work, she pays him - [b]its d law - NOT LIKE LAWLESS 9JA/PARTIAL/biased 9ja.I DONT THINK D LAW IS BIASED OVER THERE OR HERE[/b]

it looks like women r favoured more than d men when it cums 2 divorce but its just that more women than men r given custody of the kids because of their motherly nature, given alimony 4 one reason or d other, child support (4 obvious reasons), sum r/were stay @home parent, etc
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by chiogo(f): 12:17am On Jul 27, 2010
Then there was this thread from years ago. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-160981.0.html

You'll still find males justifying this barbaric act.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Katsumoto: 12:17am On Jul 27, 2010
In my opinion, anyone going to Nigeria to look for a wife or husband is merely asking for trouble. It is almost impossible for the parties to know and understand each other well. They spend most of their time before marriage talking on the phone and seeing each other maybe twice a year for a couple of weeks. There are good and bad people everywhere; going to Nigeria from your base will not increase your chances of finding a good partner.

Many marriages in the west end badly because both parties fail to adjust to their environment in the west. People hold on to memories of their parents marriages which were not perfect anyway. Because of mortgages and other bills, many families are dependent on income from both husband and wife. Some women believe that this gives them an equal say in the marriage which is wrong as the man should always be the head of the home. There can't be two captains in a ship. Similarly, some men expect their wives who have equally gone out all day to work to rush home to prepare the meal even when it is physically impossible for her. When a woman assists her husband with the bills, then the man should also assist her in the house and not just sit on his ar.se. At the end of the day, the traditional/biblical roles works well but many people do not know how to adapt this. The man should be the provider and protector and the woman the home maker but they should both be abale to adapt their positions. If you love your wife, you don't want her to work 10 hours a day, only to come home and cook for another couple of hours and still rock your world in a bed that same night. Likewise, if you love your husband, you don't want him to bust his chops working three jobs, come home to no food while you still abuse him verbally. Marriage/relationship is give and take for both sides.

This is of course applies to couples who started out with good intentions but fall victims to their foreign environment. This does not apply to women who wait for a guy based abroad to come home to marry them or guys who go home to marry simply because they think they are marrying some 'village' girl or to those who go home to marry potential 'nurses' while they sit on their ar.ses as she earns a good wage.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by AloyEmeka8: 12:24am On Jul 27, 2010
Anambra: Man kills wife over N35,000, blames devil
From GEOFFREY ANYANWU, Awka

Monday, July 26, 2010
A man (names. withheld), 52, has in anger allegedly murdered his wife in Achalla, Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jul/26/500.html

The suspect told Daily Sun: “How will I feel? I have been in deep sorrow. I can’t explain what happened to me. The devil has won the battle now. I have been crying and regretting since then.”

The palm-wine tapper and rice farmer, said the death of his wife, 40, caused by him was unimaginable as it was the last thing he could have ever thought of doing. The marriage was contracted 20 years ago and the union has produced six children, three males and three females, with the first child now 19 years.

The union, he said, was peaceful until 13 years ago when the deceased woman allegedly ran away from their home with the sum of N89, 000 given to her by him to start a business. But instead, she allegedly went to co-habit with another man, resident in the village and said to be her lover. She was said to have used the money to maintain the lover boy and even bought him a motorcycle.

She was said to have refused to return home even after series of visits by the husband, who claimed he had at several occasions asked the man to leave his wife alone: “We have been living in peace until now. The cause of the problem is that she said that she wanted to trade, I gave her money. This is the 13th year I gave her that money to trade with and she did not give any account.

“I gave her N89, 000. Instead of trading with that money because she said she wanted to sell yams, she absconded with her boyfriend. She went to live with him, she didn’t give me any money. The man she ran to live with is in my village, but he is not a native of my village. “She ran to him with all the money. She bought machine, stove, pots and they were cooking and eating. So, I went to the man to tell him to leave my wife for me.”

But instead of feeling remorseful and asking the woman to go back to her husband, the lover boy, according to the suspect, became daring and confronted him with dangerous weapons at the market with the intention to harm him.

The matter, he said, was reported to the police, who arrested and detained the man. But to his greatest surprise, his late wife and her family were sending food to her lover in the police cell and eventually bailed him out.

He said he later forgave the late wife and took her back when the members of her family came to apologize on her behalf. This action, he said, made matters worse as she showed no sign of repentance from her wayward life:

“After that, on our market day, the man came with scissors to the market where I was selling palm fruits to stab me. People started shouting and I ran away. I invited the police and they locked him up in our town. My wife and her people were cooking food and taking to him at the police station.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Onlytruth(m): 2:12am On Jul 27, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Anambra: Man kills wife over N35,000, blames devil
From GEOFFREY ANYANWU, Awka

Monday, July 26, 2010
A man (names. withheld), 52, has in anger allegedly murdered his wife in Achalla, Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jul/26/500.html

The suspect told Daily Sun: “How will I feel? I have been in deep sorrow. I can’t explain what happened to me. The devil has won the battle now. I have been crying and regretting since then.”

The palm-wine tapper and rice farmer, said the death of his wife, 40, caused by him was unimaginable as it was the last thing he could have ever thought of doing. The marriage was contracted 20 years ago and the union has produced six children, three males and three females, with the first child now 19 years.

The union, he said, was peaceful until 13 years ago when the deceased woman allegedly ran away from their home with the sum of N89, 000 given to her by him to start a business. But instead, she allegedly went to co-habit with another man, resident in the village and said to be her lover. She was said to have used the money to maintain the lover boy and even bought him a motorcycle.

She was said to have refused to return home even after series of visits by the husband, who claimed he had at several occasions asked the man to leave his wife alone: “We have been living in peace until now. The cause of the problem is that she said that she wanted to trade, I gave her money. This is the 13th year I gave her that money to trade with and she did not give any account.

I gave her N89, 000. Instead of trading with that money because she said she wanted to sell yams, she absconded with her boyfriend. She went to live with him, she didn’t give me any money. The man she ran to live with is in my village, but he is not a native of my village. “She ran to him with all the money. She bought machine, stove, pots and they were cooking and eating. So, I went to the man to tell him to leave my wife for me.

But instead of feeling remorseful and asking the woman to go back to her husband, the lover boy, according to the suspect, became daring and confronted him with dangerous weapons at the market with the intention to harm him.

The matter, he said, was reported to the police, who arrested and detained the man. But to his greatest surprise, his late wife and her family were sending food to her lover in the police cell and eventually bailed him out.

He said he later forgave the late wife and took her back when the members of her family came to apologize on her behalf. This action, he said, made matters worse as she showed no sign of repentance from her wayward life:

“After that, on our market day, the man came with scissors to the market where I was selling palm fruits to stab me. People started shouting and I ran away. I invited the police and they locked him up in our town. My wife and her people were cooking food and taking to him at the police station.

grin grin grin

Hmmmm!

Now imagine such woman in America!

I don't support any killings. That is why I urge Igbo men to think long and hard before bringing a woman from Nigeria. We can solve this if we accept that we can do something before it gets to that desperate stage. Think long and hard before bringing that girl.

I don talk my own.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Onlytruth(m): 2:17am On Jul 27, 2010
Not to be misunderstood:

The decision to marry a particular woman lies with the man. Therefore you "the man" must be responsible for picking the wrong wife. IT TAKES A LOT OF WISDOM AND DISCIPLINE to pick a good wife.

Every man has personal limits. Your challenge is to understands that limit and find a woman who  fills it up without taking your pound of flesh. To find that woman that compliments or "fills up" that limit, you must be realistic about it. You must be honest with yourself. Don't pick a wife to impress anyone. Just DON'T!  Don't pick a model wife or the so called "hot wife". I see a lot of men making this mistake.

A "mad" man should not get married. Period.  All these recommendations are assuming a normal Igbo man with his full senses. You can call me whatever you want, but the success or failure of a marriage depends to great extents on the man because he plans it from day one. He has a lot of power to design it.

If he wakes up to discover that he had picked Jezebel for a wife, well, tough luck! He must not kill her for it! This article is skewed to some extent because it fails to address the other side of the story which is that of men destroyed by these types of marriages, who are alive but are as good as dead. I know my friend is! undecided

That is why I am still saying that until Igbo women start proposing to Igbo men, and sponsoring all the traditional rites (approaching families, making overtures to family and spouse, wine carrying and wedding) in Igbo culture, until they take over the current roles of wooing and "toasting" and choosing their husbands, the man must take responsibility for picking the wrong wife.

If you wake up to find that you've picked a scorpion (akpi in Igbo), you only have yourself to blame.

Take your time, do proper due diligence, stay away from most nairaland girls cool, forget the "sweetness" of the toto undecided, don't hang your coat higher than your actual height, you'll do well. If you can't do these, go back to Nigeria, marry there and stay there. At least you'd have societal support to some extent.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by oyinda3(f): 2:27am On Jul 27, 2010
this topic is still going? lol
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Nobody: 2:28am On Jul 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

Not to be misunderstood:

The decision to marry a particular woman lies with the man. Therefore you "the man" must be responsible for picking the wrong wife. IT TAKES A LOT OF WISDOM AND DISCIPLINE to pick a good wife.

Every man has personal limits. Your challenge is to understands that limit and find a woman who  fills it up without taking your pound of flesh. To find that woman that compliments or "fills up" that limit, you must be realistic about it. You must be honest with yourself. Don't pick a wife to impress anyone. Just DON'T!  Don't pick a model wife or the so called "hot wife". I see a lot of men making this mistake.

A "mad" man should not get married. Period.  All these recommendations are assuming a normal Igbo man with his full senses. You can call me whatever you want, but the success or failure of a marriage depends to great extents on the man because he plans it from day one. He has a lot of power to design it.

If he wakes up to discover that he had picked Jezebel for a wife, well, tough luck! He must not kill her for it! This article is skewed to some extent because it fails to address the other side of the story which is that of men destroyed by these types of marriages, who are alive but are as good as dead. I know my friend is! undecided

That is why I am still saying that until Igbo women start proposing to Igbo men, and sponsoring all the traditional rites (approaching families, making overtures to family and spouse, wine carrying and wedding) in Igbo culture, until they take over the current roles of wooing and "toasting" and choosing their husbands, the man must take responsibility for picking the wrong wife.

If you wake up to find that you've picked a scorpion (akpi in Igbo), you only have yourself to blame.

Take your time, do proper due diligence, stay away from most nairaland girls 8), forget the "sweetness" of the toto undecided, don't hang your coat higher than your actual height, you'll do well. If you can't do these, go back to Nigeria, marry there and stay there. At least you'd have societal support to some extent.

Women should also stay away from 97% NL men. Sooo sexist cool
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by ikenwan: 2:31am On Jul 27, 2010
oyinda.:

this topic is still going? lol

Tell 'em! There's nothing but trouble here o!
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 2:52am On Jul 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

grin grin grin

Hmmmm!

Now imagine such woman in America!

I don't support any killings. That is why I urge Igbo men to think long and hard before bringing a woman from Nigeria. We can solve this if we accept that we can do something before it gets to that desperate stage. Think long and hard before bringing that girl.

I don talk my own.

Yes, the woman is dead so the man's version of the truth is IRON CLAD, right?  sheeesh!!

Even though it is highly possible this man let his own delusions take over his senses, leading him to the killing of his own wife and then blaming the devil at the end, we should believe his version of the story is nothing but the truth? The woman is to blame? sigh!

We really need to purge the nation of minds like these and as someone already said earlier, mothers are to take the majority of the blame for this. They ought to raise their children, both male and female, without enough common sense and respect for everyone, even the other sex as well as animals.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 27, 2010
Well the very act of a man of going back to Nigeria specifically to look for a bride and then bringing her over to the West itself raises some salient issues.
Basically the guy is sending out a clear signal that he would not be able to cope with marriage to a Nigerian woman who is fully oriented towards Western culture. All well and good.

The inevitable issue arises when this Nigerian bred wife inexorably becomes fully oriented and acquainted with Western culture and acts and in accordance with that culture  in her martrimonial home

The seemingly ultra conservative guy would then realise the futility of going back to Nigeria to look for a bride because she supposedly embodies traditional values.

It clearly would be much more sensible for such a man to stay in Nigeria with his bride.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 4:33pm On Jul 27, 2010
What then happens when westernization catches up with him and his bride right there in Nigeria? I mean we are not far from that happening on a larger scale than we have come to be used to. What do we do when the killings start happening even more frequently right there in Nigeria?

And I don't think this is about conservatism, seems all to clear a case of control . . . seems most of these lost control and felt they needed to strike back in some way.

Like I said, this is an aspect of our culture we need to seriously tackle before it is too late. We already hear news of how people in parts of the arab world, parts of africa etc already have laws in place to essentially enslave women and cause them to continue as sub-humans in society. Women are being forced, even in places like Algeria to live as slaves in their own homes. Those who have tried to complain have been put down by the male populace and subjected to humiliation simply for asking that their rights be respected.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Nobody: 1:05am On Jul 28, 2010
Sebi I do say it here that Igbo men are the most arrogant males in Nigeria. Just take a look at the Igbo men on NL. They exude chauvinism. See what over-inflated egos can cause? Where the men are gods and kings. . .You guys need to do some serious soul-searching and culture over-hauling. You are not the only tribe that is abroad and has to adapt to western society.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by AloyEmeka8: 12:21pm On Jul 28, 2010
stillwater:

Sebi I do say it here that Igbo men are the most arrogant males in Nigeria. Just take a look at the Igbo men on NL. They exude chauvinism. See what over-inflated egos can cause? Where the men are gods and kings. . .You guys need to do some serious soul-searching and culture over-hauling. You are not the only tribe that is abroad and has to adapt to western society.

Will you also ask Yorubas to do serious culture over haul since statistics have shown that their women tend to kill their spouses than any other ethnic group in Nigeria?. What could be responsible for that behavior?. Lack of cultural overhaul?, overpopulation of feminists with youthful exuberance to emasculate men in Yorubaland?. Are you also going to blame the Yoruba culture for that and tell them they are not the only tribe whose women need to adapt to marital life?

Also,
If your assertion is true then wife battering/killing should be limited to igbos only but they are not even up to 40% of the whole wife-killing cases abroad unless you are among the Yorubas who count anything east of Ondo as igbo. How will you explain the Yoruba men who killed their wives too?.  There are about 3 Yoruba men against 4 Igbo men in America who committed similar crime yet  igbos do theirs due to over inflated egos and Yorubas do theirs because of devil, abi or is it due to alienation from Yoruba culture while in America or what?. Are you also aware there are about 2 Edo men involved in the same issue and uncountable hausa/Fulani women murdered yearly in Nigeria by their husbands. Were these women killed by igbo men with over inflated egos?

Tribal and ethnic bias is a serious virus eating Nigerians and I am beginning to wonder how they judge criminals in Nigerian law courts with this mindset. How can stillwater judge an igbo man who beat his wife with this mindset because she will not even waste her time listening to his lawyer's deposition after all he is an igbo man with over inflated ego and should be thrown under the bus. I think it is better we localize our courts and let each of us be judged by our own tribe.  You can imagine how many innocent people in Nigerian jails due to ethnic bias
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 28, 2010
Cultural bias indeed!!! If anyone is being biased it's the 'defense' I see on this thread where the victims are blamed for the insanity of the man. You must really be lying to yourself to not see the obvious truth that most of the deaths were carried out by Igbo people. Calling one or two Yoruba and Edo here and there will not douse the fact that the crime is mostly done by Igbo people. I'm not like you that will like to deceive myself. Igbo man is very arrogant. Do something to your attitude, period!!!! See the chauvinistic defense on this thread. *Spits on thread*

As per that article you posted

Which Igbo man will take back a cheating wife? Roflmao. Even the women who are ordinarily alleged of cheating are sent packing never to be seen or heard of again, how much more a confirmed cheating wife? grin That man should freaking stop lying.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

[i][size=12pt]Will you also ask Yorubas to do serious culture over haul since statistics have shown that their women tend to kill their spouses than any other ethnic group in Nigeria?. What could be responsible for that behavior?. Lack of cultural overhaul?, overpopulation of feminists with youthful exuberance to emasculate men in Yorubaland?. Are you also going to blame the Yoruba culture for that and tell them they are not the only tribe whose women need to adapt to marital life?

uumm . . . . I fail to see the CULTURAL link here @Aloy_emeka. I know you like to pretend to play devil's advocate but sometimes, it is ok to just give it up and deal with the facts that we have rather than making up absurd connections.

Nothing of the yoruba culture that I am aware of gives women the go ahead to kill their husbands, or emasculate them men as you claim. Do you have any proof of this?

If anything the Yoruba culture also suffers from the same "men have needs" issue only it seems the men do not, in large, take it to mean so much, considering it seems they find it easier to adapt when faced with change. Look at Yorubas in London for instance.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by AloyEmeka8: 1:57pm On Jul 28, 2010
stillwater:

Cultural bias indeed!!! If anyone is being biased it's the 'defense' I see on this thread where the victims are blamed for the insanity of the man. You must really be lying to yourself to not see the obvious truth that most of the deaths were carried out by Igbo people. Calling one or two Yoruba and Edo here and there will not douse the fact that the crime is mostly done by Igbo people. I'm not like you that will like to deceive myself. Igbo man is very arrogant. Do something to your attitude, period!!!! See the chauvinistic defense on this thread. *Spits on thread*
Assuming I believe your theory. What is the reason behind Yoruba women being very violent?. The same factor that is affecting Igbo men or what?.
Also I spliced the crimes as per reports and trust me I follow news 10x more than you and the number reported so far are 4 igbos, 3 Yorubas, 2 Edos and 1 unidentified tribe from the middle belt. So, how does that translate to igbos being arrogant etc?. Has it ever occured to you that Igbos have the highest population of Nigerians in teh US?. Go check the crime rate among Nigerians in the UK and you will notice that Yorubas top there, is it because they are inherently criminal of due to the fact that their population doubles any other Nigerian tribe in UK?.
Arrogance is not limited to anybody: How so can igbos be evil, arrogant, dubious, self centered, flat headed and every other group in Nigeria are alright. How so if not ethnic bias?. Stop the hatred please and to think I used to believe you are one of the few here who analyze issues fairly beats me.

As per that article you posted

Which Igbo man will take back a cheating wife? Roflmao. Even the women who are ordinarily alleged of cheating are sent packing never to be seen or heard of again, how much more a confirmed cheating wife?  grin That man should freaking stop lying.

So taking back a cheating spouse is dependent on ethnic affiliation. Sandra Bullock must be igbo.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by AloyEmeka8: 2:02pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

uumm . . . . I fail to see the CULTURAL link here @Aloy_emeka. I know you like to pretend to play devil's advocate but sometimes, it is ok to just give it up and deal with the facts that we have rather than making up absurd connections.

Nothing of the yoruba culture that I am aware of gives women the go ahead to kill their husbands, or emasculate them men as you claim. Do you have any proof of this?

If anything the Yoruba culture also suffers from the same "men have needs" issue only it seems the men do not, in large, take it to mean so much, considering it seems they find it easier to adapt when faced with change. Look at Yorubas in London for instance.

That is exactly my point that cultural affiliation and tribe do not have effect in those crimes yet reports show that many Yoruba women are violent. Someone already said sometime ago that it could be because they are more emancipated and less likely to take BS from men. now, is that factor in Yoruba culture?. Remember I gave her a contrary example which stem from her assertion that igbo menn are arrogant and their culture needs overhaul lest they kill all their women. She still maintained that point even when I pointed out the exact number of those responsible for the American murders  in the ratio 4:3:2[Igbo:Yoruba:Edo]. So, only 1 person more is enough to heap all the blame on them?. I also asked her why the identified Yoruba men who killed their wives do so?. Arrogance?

Of course the Hausa/Fulani may not be represented due to their tiny population in the US. Also, check the population density in the affected country and draw your conclusion.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 2:04pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Also,
If your assertion is true then wife battering/killing should be limited to igbos only but they are not even up to 40% of the whole wife-killing cases abroad unless you are among the Yorubas who count anything east of Ondo as igbo. How will you explain the Yoruba men who killed their wives too?.

40% of the wife killing cases abroad? Where did you get this from?

Aloy_Emeka:

There are about 3 Yoruba men against 4 Igbo men in America who committed similar crime yet  igbos do theirs due to over inflated egos and Yorubas do theirs because of devil, abi or is it due to alienation from Yoruba culture while in America or what?. Are you also aware there are about 2 Edo men involved in the same issue and uncountable hausa/Fulani women murdered yearly in Nigeria by their husbands. Were these women killed by igbo men with over inflated egos?[/size][/i].

Here is the situation. There are at least 100 cases of such happening in America with caucasians or black american men each year. Most of these deaths cannot be linked to culture because these people don't really have any and there is no visible pattern LINKING all those cases together. Some are just idiots who are want their wives out of the way so another woman can come in, some others are simply cases of spousal abuse gone deadly etc.

The point here there is no denying there is a link to culture with many of the Ibo cases out there.In sort of the same way many Arab-wife killings are linked in some way to culture. When you spot a pattern you do not go saying it is not reasonable because others do it too(even when there is absence of a clear pattern in those cases). 

Aloy_Emeka:
Tribal and ethnic bias is a serious virus eating Nigerians and I am beginning to wonder how they judge criminals in Nigerian law courts with this mindset. How can stillwater judge an igbo man who beat his wife with this mindset because she will not even waste her time listening to his lawyer's deposition after all he is an igbo man with over inflated ego and should be thrown under the bus. I think it is better we localize our courts and let each of us be judged by our own tribe.  You can imagine how many innocent people in Nigerian jails due to ethnic bias

The courts are localized. The man in your story is probably not going to be tried in a yoruba court but an Ibo one. Many of these same get away with their crimes and go back to abusing other women. How many of these wife-killers are behind bars today?
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Don't mind him. He's just using the same backward argument people use when we say Nigeria is corrupt, then you hear. . . ehn 'but Russia, the US is corrupt too only that the media does not [i]sensationalize [/i]it.' I don't know if it's a feel good tactic or just blatant denial.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by AloyEmeka8: 2:13pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

40% of the wife killing cases abroad? Where did you get this from?

Out of 9 reported cases so far, 4 are igbo, 3 are Yoruba, etc. Is that not about 40% for Igbos?.

[b]The point here there is no denying there is a link to culture with many of the Ibo cases out ther[/b]e.In sort of the same way many Arab-wife killings are linked in some way to culture. When you spot a pattern you do not go saying it is not reasonable because others do it too(even when there is absence of a clear pattern in those cases). 
So if the igbo cases are culturally linked, how do you explain the Yoruba cases that are about 75% of igbo cases? cultural? devil? accidental?. How do you explain the violent Yoruba women as per reports? cultural, accidental, coincidence?. Are Yoruba women suffering from the same epidemic seen in igbo men?

The courts are localized. The man in your story is probably not going to be tried in a yoruba court but an Ibo one. Many of these same get away with their crimes and go back to abusing other women. How many of these wife-killers are behind bars today?
Not entirely. An Igbo judge who is bias like Stillwater can be allowed to judge you.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 2:18pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

That is exactly my point that cultural affiliation and tribe do not have effect in those crimes yet reports show that many Yoruba women are violent. Someone already said sometime ago that it could be because they are more emancipated and less likely to take BS from men. now, is that factor in Yoruba culture?.

Yoruba women are violent? Dude, all human beings have a tendency to violence, it is not necessarily a cultural thing at all.

That they are 'emancipated' and less likely to take BS from men does not mean they are violent, it means they are less tolerant of men who will use them to play football and willing to defend themselves.

What you are doing here is trying to compare women brought up in western countries to believe they are human beings with women brought up in, say Algeria, Mormon religion, to believe they are property. Ofcourse the western ones would seem more violent and more emancipated than their Algerian or Mormon counterparts who sit and allow themselves be battered by every male figure, even their own brothers and nephews all in the name of culture and religion.

Aloy_Emeka:

Remember I gave her a contrary example which stem from her assertion that igbo menn are arrogant and their culture needs overhaul lest they kill all their women. She still maintained that point even when I pointed out the exact number of those responsible for the American murders  in the ratio 4:3:2[Igbo:Yoruba:Edo]. So, only 1 person more is enough to heap all the blame on them?. I also asked her why the identified Yoruba men who killed their wives do so?. Arrogance?

NO, the problem is not about the one person difference here but the LINK/PATTERN that exists between the four. Is there a link between the cultures of the Edo or Yoruba cases and their culture? YES OR NO?

If there is, then that cultural issue needs to be dealt with. If none, then pursue cases where you have a link.

Aloy_Emeka:

Of course the Hausa/Fulani may not be represented due to their tiny population in the US. Also, check the population density in the affected country and draw your conclusion.

This is not just about the deaths in America. We are also addressing the deaths in Nigeria. I am certain there are other cultures out there with this problem,but this particular case there exists a pattern that needs to be looked at, not ignored because people also die in other places and countries.

We cannot win them all but we will be stu-pid to ignore that which is in our face because we are unable to accept the problem is probably linked to our culture and not to others.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Assuming I believe your theory. What is the reason behind Yoruba women being very violent?. The same factor that is affecting Igbo men or what?.
Also I spliced the crimes as per reports and trust me I follow news 10x more than you and the number reported so far are 4 igbos, 3 Yorubas, 2 Edos and 1 unidentified tribe from the middle belt. So, how does that translate to igbos being arrogant etc?. Has it ever occured to you that Igbos have the highest population of Nigerians in teh US?. Go check the crime rate among Nigerians in the UK and you will notice that Yorubas top there, is it because they are inherently criminal of due to the fact that their population doubles any other Nigerian tribe in UK?.
Arrogance is not limited to anybody: How so can igbos be evil, arrogant, dubious, self centered, flat headed and every other group in Nigeria are alright. How so if not ethnic bias?. Stop the hatred please and to think I used to believe you are one of the few here who analyze issues fairly beats me.

So taking back a cheating spouse is dependent on ethnic affiliation. Sandra Bullock must be igbo.

Because I did not side Igbo men, I'm not analyzing this fairly? I think you are more biased maybe because you're Igbo. People are being killed here because of a culture that glorifies the male. Please let's call a spade a spade. Whoever said anything about Igbo men being evil, bla bla because I said they are arrogant? I'll only deceive myself to say that the culture does not allow for this arrogance. I have seen it with my two naked eyes. Something needs to be done. Calling other Nigeria tribes to feel good will only amount to more deaths. I live in the US, and that number of 4 you accounted for the Igbos is HIGHER than that.

Sandra Bullock and Igbo man. . .what's the correlation? undecided
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by AloyEmeka8: 2:22pm On Jul 28, 2010
stillwater:

Because I did not side Igbo men, I'm not analyzing this fairly? I think you are more biased maybe because you're Igbo. People are being killed here because of a culture that glorifies the male. Please let's call a spade a spade. Whoever said anything about Igbo men being evil, bla bla because I said they are arrogant? I'll only deceive myself to say that the culture does not allow for this arrogance. I have seen it with my two unclothed eyes. Something needs to be done. Calling other Nigeria tribes to feel good will only amount to more deaths. I live in the US, and that number of 4 you accounted for the Igbos is HIGHER than that.

Sandra Bullock and Igbo man. . .what's the correlation? undecided
me igbo?  undecided undecided undecided

So whyy did the yoruba men kill their wives?. you refuse to give me answers or don't you have one?

Also, the no reported are so far 4 unless you have more and if you claim they are underreported, it also means other ethnic groups could be under reported too. I also asked you: why reports about violent women who either kill or cut off their husband's something in Nigeria are usually Yoruba women, is it the same cultural factor that must be addressed or what?
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

Out of 9 reported cases so far, 4 are igbo, 3 are Yoruba, etc. Is that not about 40% for Igbos?.
Oh, I sort to think you were considering all cases and not a handful . .  

Aloy_Emeka:

So if the igbo cases are culturally linked, how do you explain the Yoruba cases that are about 75% of igbo cases? cultural? devil? accidental?.

You tell me. . .  is there any link to the yoruba way of life or the edo  way of life then? Please educate us on this please.

Aloy_Emeka:

How do you explain the violent Yoruba women as per reports? cultural, accidental, coincidence?. Are Yoruba women suffering from the same epidemic seen in igbo men?

What of the yoruba culture leads you to believe that Violence with the women is cultural?

Aloy_Emeka:
Not entirely. An Igbo judge who is bias like Stillwater can be allowed to judge you.

You will never be satisfied, will you?

An Ibo judge who is biased will judge an ibo man guilty of a crime he committed? shocked

An ibo judge is biased if he finds an Ibo man guilty of battery when the evidence is overwhelming that he is?

***scratching head on this one ****

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Premature Baby Found Inside A Gutter In Kaduna (graphic Pic). / Woman Scalds Body Of Her Step Son With Hot Water In Adamawa State (graphic) / Traders Clash With Ebonyi Revenue Officials, One Dead (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.