Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,414 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) (14844 Views)

Nigerian Men In Usa, Killing Their Imported Wives From Nigeria. / Kidnappers Arrested After Killing Their Victim (Graphic Photos) / (Photo):Nigerian Men In Usa, Killing Their Imported Wives From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by ikenwan: 6:51pm On Jul 26, 2010
babapupa:

Like I said, Ignore me if you don't feel like debating or arguing. It's not by force to quote Babapupa.

When idi0ts speak, you try. However, the medium of the forum does make it a bit difficult. We can't always ignore all the idi0ts, now can we? How funny it is that you accuse THE AMAKA of insecurities when she reacts to the post you wrote, filled with yours. What was that, projection? Maybe a little of internal angst displacement?
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by babapupa: 6:54pm On Jul 26, 2010
What we're witnessing is another side of Igbo culture and their violent belief system that  husband has the right to scold his wife if she does something wrong. As the head of the family who paid dowry price on her head, he has the right to reprimand or scold her. A good wife should not exchange words with the husband. Itis a mark of disobedience or challenge to his manhood.

And if a woman doesn't submit like bingo, they label her the derogatory owalu anya. A remark that implicates her as a culture
deviant, thereby putting her in double jeopardy of losing the existing marriage and having slim chances of remarrying.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by babapupa: 6:58pm On Jul 26, 2010
ikenwan:

When idi0ts speak, you try. However, the medium of the forum does make it a bit difficult. We can't always ignore all the idi0ts, now can we? How funny it is that you accuse THE AMAKA of insecurities when she reacts to the post you wrote, filled with yours. What was that, projection? Maybe a little of internal angst displacement?

Instead of boring me with your needless nothings, debating the topic or counter and disprove my assertions with your own argument would have sufficed. This is a discussion forum, not angry tirade forum.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by bkbabe90(m): 6:59pm On Jul 26, 2010
Nah, but in all seriousness, this shiyyt is crazy! I had this discussion with a friend. He's Ibo, been here since he was 11 yrs old (is 33 yrs old now), raised in Alabama, yet, he thinks women are supposed to be properties; BECAUSE THE IBO COMMUNITY SAYS SO, NO WONDER HE NEVER GETS NO GALS TO STAY WITH HIM FOR LONG! One thing I give to the Ibos though is their ability to brainwash their kids into accepting, as the Gospel, even their most archaic beliefs!
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by onyengbu1(m): 7:01pm On Jul 26, 2010
babapupa:

Of course you are, if not, why not just ignore my post instead of your dirty mouth tirades?  You are in a way confirming my assertions about Igbo folks violent nature.

One thing i have noticed about people like  you here on NL is that you are attention seekers.

See how hurt you are already because no one wants to argue with you.

Sorry.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

LOL Ok, thanks.
Will be watching for EzeUche's case to air cheesy

lol . . . If you watch their program -- deadly women for a while, you get the sense that a high percentage of the men murdered are those who have that "men have needs" mentality. I am not in anyway suggesting it is OK, but  I believe it goes to show that actions do have reactions. Terrible, and honestly, I gets me wondering how many of the cases of men dropping dead in places like Nigeria are really just men dropping dead.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by ikenwan: 7:09pm On Jul 26, 2010
Debate you? Your words are not even yours. You have nothing to debate about. You lifted quotes straight from a five year old report concerning one single community in Anambra State, and then generalized it to somehow represent Igbo communities everywhere. Any debate that may arise from this would be on your stupidity in using such an obviously flawed logical fallacy. If you were debating the comprehensively retarded, that may have worked. It won't work here.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by babapupa: 7:09pm On Jul 26, 2010
onye_ngbu:

One thing i have noticed about people like  you here on NL is that you are attention seekers.

See how hurt you are already because no one wants to argue with you.

Sorry.

You are the one seeking attention because like the quote below, it's not by force to quote or pay attention to me.
Obviously, reading and comprehension is not your forte.

Like I said, Ignore me if you don't feel like debating or arguing. It's not by force to quote Babapupa.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by babapupa: 7:11pm On Jul 26, 2010
ikenwan:

Debate you? Your words are not even yours. You have nothing to debate about. You lifted quotes straight from a five year old report concerning one single community in Anambra State, and then generalized it to somehow represent Igbo communities everywhere. Any debate that may arise from this would be on your stupidity in using such an obviously flawed logical fallacy. If you were debating the comprehensively retarded, that may have worked. It won't work here.

Unfortunately for you, it makes not difference because this is your culture and way of life. We see it every day and it was even documented by the United Nations.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by onyengbu1(m): 7:19pm On Jul 26, 2010
ikenwan:

If I were you, I will ignore that sicko.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Hauwa1: 7:22pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ezeuche,this is for u,
the roles played in nigeria? hiss
we are making money as you guys so you all should come to term with that and respect us.

it is mandatory for women married to a nig men learn how to hold gun and fire, use baseball bat, kitchen knives etc
protect ya selves i say
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by chiogo(f): 7:27pm On Jul 26, 2010
Archaic men.
It's sad really.

*Hauwa*:

it is mandatory for women married to a nig men learn how to hold gun and fire, use baseball bat, kitchen knives etc
protect ya selves i say
wink
I'll probably kill a mofo before he kills me.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by redsun(m): 7:37pm On Jul 26, 2010
Only foolish flies follows coffin to the grave.I don't care what culture,only a foolish man will go out of his way and act stupid and outrageous for the sake of a bit-ch.

It is not worth the trouble to bother for something that can be replaced.A recent gun rampage and killing in england by one low life Moal was because a bitc-h dumped him and he couldn't take it,even when he has three lovely children to live for.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by ikenwan: 7:40pm On Jul 26, 2010
If we can go back to the original topic, I would say that maybe the problem is the inability of some Nigerians to adapt well to some aspects of American / Western societies. Compared to the scarcities of Nigeria, America is a place filled with uncommon excesses, and to a degree, most Americans have learned to moderate themselves in ways someone just coming from Nigeria has to learn to do.

Electricity is nearly constant, there is always running water (hot and cold), food is always just around the corner at the store, and the streets are kept clear of trash. It really is a culture shock for newly arrived Nigerians who must learn new ways to interact with each other.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Hauwa1: 7:42pm On Jul 26, 2010
phew!! me too  grin in a heartbeat grin we have come a long way my sister, abt time  grin

important to hit home. baseball bat don't miss target grin
you making money, real good money and someone born of a woman will say you must play extreme wifey or die hard trying? shaking my head cry
chiogo:

Archaic men.
It's sad really.
wink
I'll probably kill a mofo before he kills me.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by chiogo(f): 7:53pm On Jul 26, 2010
*Hauwa*:

phew!! me too  grin in a heartbeat grin we have come a long way my sister, abt time  grin

important to hit home. baseball bat don't miss target grin
you making money, real good money and someone born of a woman will say you must play extreme wifey or die hard trying? shaking my head cry
LOL@ Baseball bat - can't go wrong with that one. grin Tiger Wood's wife style.
But seriously, I don't understand how these men could be having this mentality of being superior when the woman does all the work, brings all the money. It doesn't make sense. She shouldn't treat him like crap either but don't expect her to act like a slave either. That nonsense can fly in Naija where women have no rights.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

lol . . . If you watch their program -- deadly women for a while, you get the sense that a high percentage of the men murdered are those who have that "men have needs" mentality. I am not in anyway suggesting it is OK, but  I believe it goes to show that actions do have reactions. Terrible, and honestly, It gets me wondering how many of the cases of men dropping dead in places like Nigeria are really just men dropping dead.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ROTFLMAO!!

If I tell you of the case that one of my aunts husband in Nigeria. . . . just because of some problem, he beated her repeatedly with his baby on her back. She left and he had her mother thrown in jail. Because he didnt get enough respect. I'm telling you, I feel sorry for any man I end up with. Even my mom worries about that, that I might kill someone  grin. I have no problem respecting a man, but if you dont deserve it and you're demanding it. . . . best get out of my face.

New generation of Nigerian men are getting more rubbish. . . . I blame Nigerian women for not taking the time to properly discipline our children. They grow up expecting women to treat that like kings like their father were treated. But if your father deserved it and you dont, why expect it?
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 7:55pm On Jul 26, 2010
ikenwan:

If we can go back to the original topic, I would say that maybe the problem is the inability of some Nigerians to adapt well to some aspects of American / Western societies. Compared to the scarcities of Nigeria, America is a place filled with uncommon excesses, and to a degree, most Americans have learned to moderate themselves in ways someone just coming from Nigeria has to learn to do.

Electricity is nearly constant, there is always running water (hot and cold), food is always just around the corner at the store, and the streets are kept clear of trash. It really is a culture shock for newly arrived Nigerians who must learn new ways to interact with each other.
But here is the kink in that  . . . many of those fin-gered in these have spent considerable amount of time living and socializing with people of other cultures in the west. .  they are mostly not the newcomers involved here.  Yes, there is the inability to adapt but I think it also points to problems with our culture in Nigeria that needs to be dealt with before globalization overtakes us and we find ourselves tackling this problem right there in Nigeria, in overwhelming numbers.

Ileke-IdI:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ROTFLMAO!!
New generation of Nigerian men are getting more rubbish. . . . I blame Nigerian women for not taking the time to properly discipline our children. They grow up expecting women to treat that like kings like their father were treated. But if your father deserved it and you dont, why expect it?

I agree . . . women bear a lot of the blame here considering they are the one's responsible for raising most of our kids down there in NIgeria and abroad. And yeah, the new generation are really not any much different from their fathers in this.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 26, 2010
ikenwan:

[b]Electricity is nearly constant, there is always running water (hot and cold), food is always just around the corner at the store, and the streets are kept clear of trash. It really is a culture shock for newly arrived Nigerians who must learn new ways to interact with each othe[/b]r.
What exactly does running water have to do with trigger pulling?

Anywaz, yes, the new enviroment is tough. Imagine having to deal with bills . . . . that's enough to drive ppl crazy!
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Onlytruth(m): 8:00pm On Jul 26, 2010
I've followed this topic closely and I've come to certain conclusions.

The problem is that the concept of marriage in Nigeria means a different thing from what obtains in the US. As a married Igbo man in the US, I can discuss this very easily.

The core idea is for the man (being the head of household in Igbo culture) to realize that the success or failure of the marriage lies with him, and he must make that conclusion BEFORE he gets married to ANYONE IN NIGERIA.

I know so many happy marriages in Nigeria which broke irreparably in the US, and I mean real happy marriages with both parties understanding their roles in the home. The man provides for his family, and the woman also provides when she can. In modern times BOTH parties work in Nigeria and provide for the family, but the man still remains the head of household. He consults his wife before making sensitive decisions, but the buck really stops with him. THERE CAN NEVER BE TWO CAPTAINS IN ONE SHIP. The ladies in Nigeria understand that and defer to their husband, while the men love their wives and will even die for them. Please note that this has almost nothing to do with class or education. I know many illiterate Igbo men with degree holder wives in Nigeria, and they live happily.

But out here, the women buy into a false sense of EQUALITY at home and start challenging EVERY decision the man makes. US is a highly individualistic society with also zero societal support. You can really do anything you want with yourself as long as you are not breaking the law. A married man or woman can do ANYTHING they want provided they can live with the consequences. In Nigeria it is not like that. There are societal consequences to actions.
So when that societal support gives way, only FEW WOMEN are not tempted to push the limit of their "freedom". And when the chips fall, the man is mostly left holding the empty bag after many years of planning his family and providing for them in Nigeria, he loses it all because the woman decided to enjoy her "freedom".  

The US is mostly a community property nation, direct implication is that in the event of any divorce, the woman almost always takes possession of the house and the children until visitation rights are worked out. The man MUST move out. Most of these men have invested (like most Igbo men) heavily in their families: wives upkeep (Igbo man will buy the best clothes for his wive and will even starve doing so), kids (Igbo man must send his kids to the best school, he will starve instead), and other similar sacrifices. Such deviant women never even think about these. All they see is the chance to take what the man worked so hard for and leave. The next day, don't be surprised if she starts dating your close friends! That is what lead to these types of homicides. They can never be justified, but how can anyone justify such heartlessness from some Igbo women in the US?

A friend of mine went through a similar ordeal. He nearly died! ( a lot of guys just go to sleep and never wake up!). It is that bad. He has survived his for 10 years now while his wife was busy sleeping with any man of her fantasy. Guess what folks, she now wants to come back to the man! She has sent emissaries, done almost everything she can to get back but the husband has since moved on (though he is still single). He cannot remarry. He was broken beyond repair!

My final advise and submission on this topic to Nigerians (especially Igbo men in the US) : NEVER MARRY A WOMAN IN NIGERIA AND BRING HER TO THE US. PERIOD!

Let Nigerian women in Nigeria marry Nigerians at home, while those abroad should marry abroad to anyone of their choice. The gap is too much.

Only very few marriages survive this culture shock.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Cohomology: 8:01pm On Jul 26, 2010
I mostly blame the men for this crisis.

Too many Naija men living abroad are clueless and lazy. This subsequently breeds disrespect from the women who are used to knowledgeable and strong men; men like their fathers, who raised them to believe in the man of the house; men they looked up to; men that treated their mothers with love and affection.

Many women also make horrible choices in partners. They go after lying buffoons and flamboyant charlatans. What do they expect?

Too many women are complete idiots in the art of spouse selection.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by chiogo(f): 8:05pm On Jul 26, 2010
ikenwan:

Haha. Not necessarily. The culture shock I believe, doesn't stem from constant electricity and whatnot. The culture shock is how the American family is run, like if a woman works more than the husband, naturally, he would help out more around the house. These Nigerian men killing their wives obviously think differently. Many of them are still stuck to the Nigerian mentality that the man is the head of the household(which is true in most if not all societies) but does not translate to the wife being a slave. Neither does that mean he can't assist around the house if the wife is the one handling the financial burden of the family.

I think these men start to notice their women blend more into the American culture and expect their husbands to contribute in other ways since they can't do so financially - these expectations may seem belittling to the men and they start to feel intimidated and claim their wives have been brain-washed by the American society whereas, their wives are only embracing the new culture. I don't know what men like these expect to happen when they move to a new environment since change is almost inevitable. People like these are just better off staying back home in Nigeria, they are obviously incapable of handling a culture such as America's.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by alicianna(f): 8:06pm On Jul 26, 2010
Wow!!!, Look at all the finger pointing, men blaming women, women blaming men. Problem solved! undecided
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Cohomology: 8:12pm On Jul 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

The problem is that the concept of marriage in Nigeria means a different thing from what obtains in the US. As a married Igbo man in the US, I can discuss this very easily.

The core idea is for the man (being the head of household in Igbo culture) to realize that the success or failure of the marriage lies with him, and he must make that conclusion BEFORE he gets married to ANYONE IN NIGERIA.

I know so many happy marriages in Nigeria which broke irreparably in the US, and I mean real happy marriages with both parties understanding their roles in the home. The man provides for his family, and the woman also provides when she can. In modern times BOTH parties work in Nigeria and provide for the family, but the man still remains the head of household. He consults his wife before making sensitive decisions, but the buck really stops with him. THERE CAN NEVER BE TWO CAPTAINS IN ONE SHIP. The ladies in Nigeria understand that and defer to their husband, while the men love their wives and will even die for them. Please note that this has almost nothing to do with class or education. I know many illiterate Igbo men with degree holder wives in Nigeria, and they live happily.

But out here, the women buy into a false sense of EQUALITY at home and start challenging EVERY decision the man makes. US is a highly individualistic society with also zero societal support. You can really do anything you want with yourself as long as you are not breaking the law. A married man or woman can do ANYTHING they want provided they can live with the consequences. In Nigeria it is not like that. There are societal consequences to actions.
So when that societal support gives way, only FEW WOMEN are not tempted to push the limit of their "freedom". And when the chips fall, the man is mostly left holding the empty bag after many years of planning his family and providing for them in Nigeria, he loses it all because the woman decided to enjoy her "freedom".  

The US is mostly a community property nation, direct implication is that in the event of any divorce, the woman almost always takes possession of the house and the children until visitation rights are worked out. The man MUST move out. Most of these men have invested (like most Igbo men) heavily in their families: wives upkeep (Igbo man will buy the best clothes for his wive and will even starve doing so), kids (Igbo man must send his kids to the best school, he will starve instead), and other similar sacrifices. Such deviant women never even think about these. All they see is the chance to take what the man worked so hard for and leave. The next day, don't be surprised if she starts dating your close friends! That is what lead to these types of homicides. They can never be justified, but how can anyone justify such heartlessness from some Igbo women in the US?

A friend of mine went through a similar ordeal. He nearly died! ( a lot of guys just go to sleep and never wake up!). It is that bad. He has survived his for 10 years now while his wife was busy sleeping with any man of her fantasy. Guess what folks, she now wants to come back to the man! She has sent emissaries, done almost everything she can to get back but the husband has since moved on (though he is still single). He cannot remarry. He was broken beyond repair!

My final advise and submission on this topic to Nigerians (especially Igbo men in the US) : NEVER MARRY A WOMAN IN NIGERIA AND BRING HER TO THE US. PERIOD!

Let Nigerian women in Nigeria marry Nigerians at home, while those abroad should marry abroad to anyone of their choice. The gap is too much.

Excellent post!

My view, developed over a decade of observation of Igbo marriages in the US, is that the likelihood of a failed marriage is highest when an Igbo man living in the US goes home to marry an Igbo woman. The odds are better for the Igbo man who goes to Nigeria to marry from any other ethnic group.

Anybody made the same observation?
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 8:16pm On Jul 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

I thinkn most of this is so far from the true reality of the situation.

it is akin to believing the piece below

Igbo men being stock fish lovers, it was easy to believe the storyline. “A certain consignment of Okporoko from either Norway or Cape Cord was the cause of this sudden collective death of men from a certain stock/race. Some mocked that the gods of stockfish were taking vengeance on the grandchildren of a race who massacred its own forebears! That many more Igbo men in America would die before the stockfish gods were appeased.” There was palpable fear in the male Igbo community everywhere in the US then. Whose turn would it be amongst the Okporoko consuming Igbo men?
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Onlytruth(m): 8:18pm On Jul 26, 2010
The other thing I personally notice about these  homicidal marriages is that the women are mainly nurses.
No pun intended, but nurses are not the most educated Nigerians, and it shows in their behaviors.

I know of one case where a certain hospital human resources department was complaining bitterly about the behaviors of some Nigerian nurses in their employ. They exhibit uncontrolled gluttony at the sight of condiments deposited at the pantry for staff light refreshment. Some of these nurse basically cart these condiments home leaving empty pantries behind.
Other workers from other countries would simply take what they needed eg. one sachet of fast Quaker oat meal, just enough for self. The Nigerian nurse will empty the entire tray! shocked
That is the same attitude they adopt when dealing with their husbands at home.

Of course I personally will not marry anyone who is not holding at least a Masters degree in ANYTHING. I don't care what field. I need an educated woman at home!

So my advise again: NEVER MARRY A NIGERIAN WOMAN AND BRING HER TO THE US.

If you must marry her, then relocate to Nigeria. Simple.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by redsun(m): 8:22pm On Jul 26, 2010
I am just watching a channel 4 documentary right now about some nigerian churches in south london casting out witches on african children in  obodo oyibo of all places.Unfortunately most of the parents of the children are married and one will expect a marriage to work between foolish couples like that,that can't see beyond their noses.

Marriage is like a successful business union,it takes two people that are rationally in line with each other for it to work.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Cohomology: 8:26pm On Jul 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

The other thing I personally notice about these  homicidal marriages is that the women are mainly nurses.
No pun intended, but nurses are not the most educated Nigerians, and it shows in their behaviors.

I know of one case where a certain hospital human resources department was complaining bitterly about the behaviors of some Nigerian nurses in their employ. They exhibit uncontrolled gluttony at the sight of condiments deposited at the pantry for staff light refreshment. Some of these nurse basically cart these condiments home leaving empty pantries behind.
Other workers from other countries would simply take what they needed eg. one sachet of fast Quaker oat meal, just enough for self. The Nigerian nurse will empty the entire tray! shocked
That is the same attitude they adopt when dealing with their husbands at home.

Of course I personally will not marry anyone who is not holding at least a Masters degree in ANYTHING. I don't care what field. I need an educated woman at home!

So my advise again: NEVER MARRY A NIGERIAN WOMAN AND BRING HER TO THE US.

If you must marry her, then relocate to Nigeria. Simple.

Very strong position to take.

Just curious, did you marry your wife in the US or in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by ikenwan: 8:29pm On Jul 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But here is the kink in that  . . . many of those fin-gered in these have spent considerable amount of time living and socializing with people of other cultures in the west. .  they are mostly not the newcomers involved here.  Yes, there is the inability to adapt but I think it also points to problems with our culture in Nigeria that needs to be dealt with before globalization overtakes us and we find ourselves tackling this problem right there in Nigeria, in overwhelming numbers.
I'm glad you pointed this out!

@Ileke-IdI, @chiogo,
Lol I didn't mean that once electricity started working and water kept running, people started killing each other. What I was trying to say is that the way Nigerian families are run are generally the way their people adapted to the hardship of Nigerian society. Someone is always trying to keep someone else in line, and that someone else is always resenting being forced down. Western societies, on the other hand, work differently. Because there's almost always going to be an abundance of resources, the type of situation where one person (a government, a spouse, etc) tries to micromanage [i]everything [/i]doesn't always work. There's space to be more fluid when dealing with things, and to become more moderate too.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Onlytruth(m): 8:33pm On Jul 26, 2010
Cohomology:

Very strong position to take.

Just curious, did you marry your wife in the US or in Nigeria?

Of course I married her here (the US).
She and I have the same understanding of things. I can't tell her these things. She knows already.

The Igbo say that an orphan often eavesdrops when a father is advising his child. I've learned by watching other peoples experience here.
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Cohomology: 8:36pm On Jul 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

Of course I married her here (the US).
She and I have the same understanding of things. I can't tell her these things. She knows already.

My very good friend has been dating a girl in Naija and is planning to go home Jan '11 to marry her and bring her over. This girl seems like a very good girl and very smart too. From a good home also. I'm afraid for him now. So, you suggest he dumps her and marry someone here? This is a toughie!
Re: Nigerian-Americans Killing Their Spouses In The Us - (1) by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Jul 26, 2010
Just so you understand me better, I am not saying newcomers are exempt either, but that culturally we have a problem that needs to be tackled, and that is inequality in society.
Our society in Nigeria essentially considers the man the god of the  house and in case of divorce, women risk losing it all and so most are essentially FORCED to stay in unhappy marriages because there are not a lot of options out there for them(as many think) after divorce. Women endure beatings, emotional torture and all from their spouses for their children's sake or so they do not incur shame of divorce or the sort. There are definitely a lot of divorced women out there but many rather than be hidden that dealt with.

I don't believe this is limited to one culture, I mean the issue with marriages abroad. I have friends who were jilted by women from other ethnicities just like that. I don't think it is simply a men only issue or something that can be cured by simply changing the ethnicity of people you date.I think what we see now is a result of bad cultural beliefs and ideas coming back to bite us. And this is not just for Nigerians and Africans to deal with. Even people from Arab countries and people from parts of Asia are also having to deal with this issue even more of recent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Gunmen Invade RCCG Corpers' Lodge In Taraba State / Woman Scalds Body Of Her Step Son With Hot Water In Adamawa State (graphic) / Two-man Motorcycle Snatching Syndicate Arrested And Arms Recovered [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.