Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,876 members, 7,824,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters (3538 Views)

Again, Fulani Herdsmen Invade Falae’s Farm - VANGUARD / Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} / Doyin Okupe Shares A Photo Of Himself 'floating' In Water'-read His Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AloyEmeka8: 2:06am On Jul 28, 2010
Displaced from land, Lagosians invade lagoons …Why we live in water – squatters
This Is Lagos, By Clifford Ndujihe
Tuesday, July 27, 2010

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jul/27/vanguard/images/Lagoonhouse1[1].jpg[/img]
The Lagos lagoon settlement near Makoko
A regular user of the 10-kilometre Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos, in the last two years would have noticed the rapid reclamation and invasion of the Lagos Lagoon from the Lagos Island end (Ilubirin sandfill); the Oyingbo end; and immediately after the University of Lagos, the fast growing floating slum right inside the lagoon.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jul/27/315.html

In January 2008, there were less than 20 suspended wooden houses balanced on stilts in that area of the Lagoon known as Pedro, an appendage to Makoko. Now, there are about 1500 of such structures and by the end of 2010, the ‘growing town’ would be very close to the bridge.

During a trip to the Pedro shanty settlement, Wale, a 16 year old canoe boy, who navigated Vanguard through the houses described the area as a ‘heaven.’

Life on the Lagoon

Asked how life was in the area, he enthused: “do you want to join us?” Before an answer could be given, he continued: “you will enjoy it when you come. Here, there is no government. We don’t pay tax. We don’t pay NEPA bills. And the rent is very cheap. If you want to rent a house (three or four bedrooms), it is N3000 a month. With N1000 you can get a room.”

And to erect a structure of your own in the 6 to 15-metre deep water body, Tunde said, “it doesn’t cost much. I will take you to our leader – a very powerful man. He will give you a portion on the lagoon to build your house if you pay him a small amount of money.”

Economic activities

Aside being free from payment of sundry levies and taxes, the inhabitants subject the surrounding water body to a number of economic uses. It serves as a source of bathing water, fishing, movement and most unfortunately, a sink. They defecate directly into the water.

Wooden houses close to land are linked by arteries of wooden bridges. For those farther inside the water, the major means of movement are canoes. Thus possession of a canoe is a measure of affluence.

The inhabitants

The ethnic make-up of the Lagoon dwellers is diverse – there are Igbos, Yorubas, Ijaws, Efik, and Egun among others.

Their sources of livelihood are also diverse. As expected, many of them are fishermen but a host of others are engaged in buying and selling of edible items, alcoholics, food, clothing, etc. Some of them work upland in companies and enterprises at Oyingbo and environs.

Okafor, a young man of 27, who had been selling foodstuffs in the area for about 5 years, said that plans to leave the ‘settlement’ was not in his agenda because “market is moving for me here and the house rent is cheap.”

He continued: “Where I am staying, we pay N1000 a month. And there is co-operation.”

During the trip, a section of the slum which got burnt down was being rebuilt.

Okafor said the owners of the burnt structure were willing to take advance rent from would-be tenants to erect new buildings. If you meet them (landlords) they will help you.”

Unceasing influx
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 2:21am On Jul 28, 2010
I remember the day, I found myself in Ijora Badia, it was such an unholy shocker at the levels of misery existing in Nigeria. My girlfriend wondered why I was chocking back tears when I got back home. That day is etched in my mind forever.
These slums are a disgrace to Nigeria and a physical sign of our wickedness to each other.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 2:24am On Jul 28, 2010
why not weep buckets over your hometown?

crocodile
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 2:31am On Jul 28, 2010
^How about, cos my hometown is very very nice? Id!ot.
This is why I call you a winsh. You cannot even empathise with the poor souls caught in those hellish places.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 2:35am On Jul 28, 2010
Naira 3000 a month? shocked

How can people who are looking for rent this cheap afford property anywhere in Nigeria?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AloyEmeka8: 2:37am On Jul 28, 2010
Beaf:

^How about, cos my hometown is very very nice? Id!ot.
This is why I call you a winsh. You cannot even empathise with the poor souls caught in those hellish places.

Ignoring the old midget is sometimes advisable.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by babapupa: 3:44am On Jul 28, 2010
U don run out of Akala news?

lol @ delta swamp dweller and yeye tears,
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 5:51am On Jul 28, 2010
babapupa:

U don run out of Akala news?

lol @ delta swamp dweller and yeye tears,

We welcome the Lastma officer and his usual foolishness! grin
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Mariory(m): 6:01am On Jul 28, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

The ethnic make-up of the Lagoon dwellers is diverse – there are Igbos, Yorubas, Ijaws, Efik, and Egun among others.

Interesting
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Okijajuju1(m): 6:14am On Jul 28, 2010
If this is where I'm thinking, I always feel bad looking at it whenever I am in Nigeria.
One time, I just landed from Paris, and was being driven to the hotel. On the bus were some white guys with whom I flew in. As soon as we were on third mainland bridge heading towards Victoria Island, they all whipped out there cameras and started taking pictures. I was so ashamed I slumped low into my seat.

I think the government needs to do sumtin about that place. It is an eyesore. Either they redo it and make it more attractive, or they drive everyone out of there. It is both a health harzard and a national embarassment.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AjanleKoko: 8:23am On Jul 28, 2010
Okija_juju:

If this is where I'm thinking, I always feel bad looking at it whenever I am in Nigeria.
One time, I just landed from Paris, and was being driven to the hotel. On the bus were some white guys with whom I flew in. As soon as we were on third mainland bridge heading towards Victoria Island, they all whipped out there cameras and started taking pictures. I was so ashamed I slumped low into my seat.

I think the government needs to do sumtin about that place. It is an eyesore. Either they redo it and make it more attractive, or they drive everyone out of there. It is both a health harzard and a national embarassment.

Nigerians also indulge in exoticism?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by johnie: 11:19am On Jul 28, 2010
Okija_juju:

I have also witnessed the same thing (foreigners whipping out their cameras to film the place) several times on Third Mainland Bridge!

It's as if they tell them when coming to Lagos to look out for that place! embarassed
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AloyEmeka8: 11:58am On Jul 28, 2010
johnie:

I have also witnessed the same thing (foreigners whipping out their cameras to film the place) several times on Third Mainland Bridge!

It's as if they tell them when coming to Lagos to look out for that place! embarassed

Why not fix your country instead of being afraid of who will shoot what?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by johnie: 12:10pm On Jul 28, 2010
Don't worrry. Our country is being fixed already.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AloyEmeka8: 12:11pm On Jul 28, 2010
johnie:

By who?. Since when?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by philip0906(m): 12:19pm On Jul 28, 2010
~i wonder y this is news~ undecided undecided
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 1:49pm On Jul 28, 2010
johnie:

Aloy_Emeka:

By who?. Since when?

I want to know what the answer to these questions are myself . . . smiley
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmy: 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2010
Wait a minute . . . .
Is it a must that everyone must live in Lagos?
Why suffer in Lagos while some have family homes in the village empty?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Pennywise(m): 1:56pm On Jul 28, 2010
These ones need not worry abt WC. They live inside.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AloyEmeka8: 2:06pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Wait a minute . . . .

Are you going to provide them with jobs in their villages?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Wait a minute . . . .

So, let me get this straight

By your reasoning there

a) All peoples who have family homes in villages should live there because?  You do not yourself live in your village today, right? Why do you then EXPECT others to live in their Villages when even you do not apply that to your own self ? Another thing, I will guess you had to struggle some to afford the life you have today where you are currently located, or did you just land from the sky with internet, computer, a home etc  Why then do you advocate people be kicked to the curb simply because LAGOS is the place in question?

b) Is it a must to live in Lagos? Of course not but why CAN't people live in Lagos?

c) By the way, what about those who are Lagosians(generations) but now find it hard to continue living in their hometowns due to rising costs . . . should they also move to their villages? Oh Wait, most already live in their "villages" but are still unable to cope. Where do you send those ones?

d) What happened to "Nigeria, ile gbogbo wa!"? Is lagos no longer a part of Nigeria?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AjanleKoko: 2:34pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So, let me get this straight

By your reasoning there

a) All peoples who have family homes in villages should live there because?  You do not yourself live in your village today, right? Why do you then EXPECT others to live in their Villages when even you do not apply that to your own self ? Another thing, I will guess you had to struggle some to afford the life you have today where you are currently located, or did you just land from the sky with internet, computer, a home etc  Why then do you advocate people be kicked to the curb simply because LAGOS is the place in question?

b) Is it a must to live in Lagos? Of course not but why CAN't people live in Lagos?

c) By the way, what about those who are Lagosians(generations) but now find it hard to continue living in their hometowns due to rising costs . . . should they also move to their villages? Oh Wait, most already live in their "villages" but are still unable to cope. Where do you send those ones?

d) What happened to "Nigeria, ile gbogbo wa!"? Is lagos no longer a part of Nigeria?

Your kinda thread huh grin

@Topic,
People live on water, in houses like this, in my village. Makoko has existed since before I was born. Nothing new there jare. Kini big deal?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Hauwa1: 2:37pm On Jul 28, 2010
so sad, a place that should be modernized for tourism has now become a squatter
i pity and weep for nigeria cry cry
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 2:38pm On Jul 28, 2010
Wait a minute . . . .

i don talk am tire.

certain people develop tummy ache anytime you remind them there are other places in nigeria to live, besides lagos.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 2:38pm On Jul 28, 2010
*Hauwa*:

so sad, a place that should be modernized for tourism has now become a squatter
i pity and weep for nigeria cry cry

see my previous post
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 28, 2010
tpiah:

i don talk am tire.

certain people develop tummy ache anytime you remind them there are other places in nigeria to live, besides lagos.
is anybody tying them to live in such place ? Fashola is even nice,el-rufai would have demolished that place if he had been be the governor of lagos.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Hauwa1: 2:51pm On Jul 28, 2010
that's true, my grandfather of blessed memory was rich in his life time. his home (a big one that he modernized shortly before he died) is still standing.
nobody is living there just because the house is in the village.

my mom took me there, and i was like wow!!  cool
nothing special about cities, esp lagos. no jobs no nothing.
those pple should just go back home, it will be better farming and rearing domestic animal for a living.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 28, 2010
Everyone feels they stand a better chance of hitting the big time if they're in the city. I can't say I blame them, farm work doesn't agree with me either. grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Jul 28, 2010
*Hauwa*:

that's true, my grandfather of blessed memory was rich in his life time. his home (a big one that he modernized shortly before he died) is still standing.
nobody is living there just because the house is in the village.

my mom took me there, and i was like wow!!  cool
nothing special about cities, esp lagos. no jobs no nothing.
those pple should just go back home, it will be better farming and rearing domestic animal for a living.

OK . .  so are you moving back to your grandpas house then? I mean if the goal here is to keep the house occupied, when are you making the move back to the village?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmy: 3:22pm On Jul 28, 2010
tpiah:

i don talk am tire.

So why should i pity people that decide to put themselves thru all these kinda stuff
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

So why should i pity people that decide to put themselves thru all these kinda stuff

Are they asking for your pity?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Hauwa1: 3:24pm On Jul 28, 2010
i could let's say if i'm staying unmarried for life grin i'd relocate there
rather than me suffering in lagos like that, why not go back home?
note that my reply is 'if' situation.

Kobojunkie:

OK . .  so are you moving back to your grandpas house then? I mean if the goal here is to keep the house occupied, when are you making the move back to the village?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram Says No To Amnesty / Danjuma Confirms: Obasanjo Begged Me For Third Term / Jonathan, OBJ Feud Deepens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.