Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,430 members, 7,839,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters (3550 Views)

Again, Fulani Herdsmen Invade Falae’s Farm - VANGUARD / Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} / Doyin Okupe Shares A Photo Of Himself 'floating' In Water'-read His Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by sjeezy8: 2:16am On Jul 29, 2010
Send beaf and his cousins back to the Niger delta and what ever villages the others come from ( I dont like seeing poverty regardless of tribe)- when they get money and are rich they can come back.

edit I add more
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 2:20am On Jul 29, 2010
sjeezy8:

Send beaf and his cousins back to the Niger delta- when they get money and are rich they can come back.

Funny guy. Last time I looked it was your folk struggling to feed from the ND. You people bera spread some of the Abuja pocket money to your slum areas.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by sjeezy8: 2:21am On Jul 29, 2010
Beaf:

Funny guy. Last time I looked it was your folk struggling to feed from the ND. You people bera spread some of the Abuja pocket money to your slum areas.

Guy theres no more fish in the Niger delta- so I guess its ok for you guys to stay we are all Nigerians lol.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 2:26am On Jul 29, 2010
sjeezy8:

Guy theres no more fish in the Niger delta- so I guess its ok for you guys to stay we are all Nigerians lol.

grin
I thought they had jailed your hairy arse in the US! Where have you been?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Nobody: 2:36am On Jul 29, 2010
Beaf:

^
Those people are only a symptom of problems we have in Nigeria. The only way to rid ourselves of slums, is to roll up our sleeves and fix the country.

If you send them packing, others will only sieze the opportunity to replace them or the original folk will simply pop up elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these folk are the very same people that were driven out of places like Maroko in the 90's. If anyone wishes to send them packing, they better provide them with housing, social security and job security.
i think the problem has to do with inconsistency on the part of government.why do you think govt would provide any form of compensation for them if they decided to send them away ? undecided
i remembered when el-rufai was trying to restore the Abuja masterplan;he embarked on demolition of shanties in some areas he deemed were causing nuisance to the city and i can tell you that the whole place became better even though there was no form of compensation to the people.the demolition idea was dropped by his successor who for political reason do not see any sense in making the federal capital look beautiful at the detriment of the poor people who live in those slums.no sooner than he made the comment that the slums began to spring back to life.

the issue is a pathetic one which need to be addressed as soon as possible afterall there is no law restricting rural-urban migration,the only thing govt could do is to make life atleast comfortable for the un-invited visitors
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 2:42am On Jul 29, 2010
~Bluetooth:

i think the problem has to do with inconsistency on the part of government.why do you think govt would provide any form of compensation for them if they decided to send them away ? undecided
i remembered when el-rufai was trying to restore the Abuja masterplan;he embarked on demolition of shanties in some areas he deemed were causing nuisance to the city and i can tell you that the whole place became better even though there was no form of compensation to the people.the demolition idea was dropped by his successor who for political reason do not see any sense in making the federal capital look beautiful at the detriment of the poor people who live in those slums.no sooner than he made the comment that the slums began to springed back to life.

the issue is a pathetic one which need to be addressed as soon as possible afterall there is no law restricting rural-urban migration,the only thing govt could do is to make life atleast comfortable for the un-invited visitors

No, there should be a solid framework to create jobs and make life bearable in the rural areas. If that is done properly, me can reverse or alleviate rural-urban migration and the formation of slums and underground societies. This is the sort of thing past and present govts should have enforced through our fake federal set up.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 2:46am On Jul 29, 2010
we all know the real reason many people cant leave lagos and return to their villages is because of the fear of witches, wizards and generational enemies/feuds wey dey there.

however, rather than spend excessive time in a lagos slum, especially since we're in the age of video cameras and everybody wanting to be a journalist/crusader, there are other places besides lagos where people migrate to in nigeria.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by 0hsisi: 2:51am On Jul 29, 2010
tpiah:

we all know the real reason many people cant leave lagos and return to their villages is because of the fear of witches, wizards and generational enemies/feuds wey dey there.

however, rather than spend excessive time in a lagos slum, especially since we're in the age of video cameras and everybody wanting to be a journalist/crusader, there are other places besides lagos where people migrate to in nigeria.

Shouldn't you get down to your native village and beat a gong to that effect? grin
Tell them the chief witch don migrate to nairaland say make dem carry their loads begin head back , beneath olumo rock
agadi ekwe nka
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 2:53am On Jul 29, 2010
^^the vulture has landed.

do you understand simple english, and can you point me to anywhere i said i will stay in lagos by force by force even if na for slum i dey.

oponu.

you must be assuming i'm a beast of no hometown like you.

we all know they chased you out with pitchforks, and thank goodness you got visa to america to practice your witchcraft freely there.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Nobody: 2:55am On Jul 29, 2010
Beaf:

No, there should be a solid framework to cry create jobs and make life bearable in the rural areas. cry If that is done properly, me can reverse or alleviate rural-urban migration and the formation of slums and underground societies. This is the sort of thing past and present govts should have enforced through our fake federal set up.
when the so-called government cannot provide jobs for the people in urban areas,how would they remember those in the village.the only things i have ever seen them provide for the rural areas are electricity,borehole,subsidize fertilizer for them and definitely dole out cash whenever election approaches.how do you expect people to build their hopes on such meagre when assorted ammenities abound in the cities.
the bottomline is that previous governments have failed us but we need to change course from the old ways.how long are we going to continue like this ?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by 0hsisi: 2:59am On Jul 29, 2010
tpiah:

^^the vulture has landed.

do you understand simple english, and can you point me to anywhere i said i will stay in lagos by force by force even if na for slum i dey.

oponu.

you must be assuming i'm a beast of no hometown like you.

we all know they chased you out with pitchforks, and thank goodness you got visa to america to practice your witchcraft freely there.

If only you can speak the truth
are your step mothers not stirring pots for you in Abeokuta
We all see the effects
how else can one explain your psychosis
Stay here and keep fighting with young men that could have easily been your son's age
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Nobody: 2:59am On Jul 29, 2010
so much loff on nl. Makes me wanna cry.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 3:00am On Jul 29, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Please explain?
~Bluetooth:

i remembered when el-rufai was trying to restore the Abuja masterplan;he embarked on demolition of shanties in some areas he deemed were causing nuisance to the city and i can tell you that the whole place became better even though there was no form of compensation to the people.the demolition idea was dropped by his successor who for political reason do not see any sense in making the federal capital look beautiful at the detriment of the poor people who live in those slums.no sooner than he made the comment that the slums began to spring back to life.
While I agree with -- I am all for making Nigeria look better than it does today but does sending these people packing really make things better? I know it allows us create some BEAUTIFUL SPACE for ourselves but overall does it really contribute to solving the general problem in the State and the country?

If every urban area out there where to embark on pushing the poor out, where exactly do we all hope they will end up?   Do we not think about these things even as we rush to create a utopia for ourselves in that nation?
~Bluetooth:

When is government going to start working on making life a bit comfortable for the "unwanted" poor? After Government is done spending all it can on mega projects that mostly benefit the rich and not the poor?
You speak to someone in Owerri and you get similar comments of how the poor need to be pushed back to the village. The same you hear in places like Abuja, Port Harcourt, Benin, even Aba. I can't help but ask if it is the case that we are simply trying to sweep our main problem under the carpet so we can spare ourselves the sight or something.  

We have had about 11 years of democracy and still no clear signs on what exactly we plan to do about the majority poor in our society. 2007, we expected that by 2010, something will change but we are already looking to elect the next president and still no clear plans in place on how exactly we hope to deal with the high poverty rates we have in our country. If not government to do something about it, who will?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 3:14am On Jul 29, 2010
~Bluetooth:

when the so-called government cannot provide jobs for the people in urban areas,how would they remember those in the village.the only things i have ever seen them provide for the rural areas are electricity,borehole,subsidize fertilizer for them and definitely dole out cash whenever election approaches.how do you expect people to build their hopes on such meagre when assorted ammenities abound in the cities.
the bottomline is that previous governments have failed us but we need to change course from the old ways.how long are we going to continue like this ?

I don't believe govt should provide jobs, rather they can create jobs by building the necesary frameworks and building blocks for a business environment; then let the people take it up from there and run with it.

I will give a simple example, govt can create simple information centers across the country for agricultural produce levels; so that, if farmers in Daura have a surplus of tomatoes, they can go to such a center and find that there is a tomato shortage developing in Owerri or Ijebu. That way they can target those areas, sell directly and be sure to make a buck; instead of waiting for some middlemans truck to take the tomatoes off somewhere and underpay the farmer. What govt would have done in this case is provide the environment for jobs to be productive in rural areas.

etc etc etc
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 3:15am On Jul 29, 2010
0hsisi:

We all see the effects
Stay here and keep fighting with young men that could have easily been your son's age

is there any nairaland male you dont have the hots for?

you must be "married" to a eunuch.

either that or you're a hooker.

both scenarios could also be possible.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Nobody: 3:20am On Jul 29, 2010
Please explain
i mean it because there is no reason for them to have a masterplan which they did not implement overtime ,only to wake up

one morning and decide to send those people away because they are poor without compensation in most cases.the case of maroko,abuja and most recent

port harcourt has shown such failures.don't be surprise  if govt decided to invade slums like ajegunle,badia among others and take over them

without

compensating those people who have lived there for years and the question i would ask would be "why did govt not properly relocate these poor people that

have over the time develop these slums by themselves "?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by babapupa: 3:56am On Jul 29, 2010
Beaf:

I don't believe govt should provide jobs, rather they can create jobs by building the necesary frameworks and building blocks for a business environment; then let the people take it up from there and run with it.

Please, kindly state what the building blocks and frameworks are pr consist of.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 4:26am On Jul 29, 2010
babapupa:

Please, kindly state what the building blocks and frameworks are pr consist of.

I don't understand this question, can you please edit?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AloyEmeka8: 5:39am On Jul 29, 2010
0hsisi:

We all see the effects

www.nairaland.com/attachments/298067_rotflmao_gif3e6d39f70f0f709b4ed32e3e40f8b3d3
www.nairaland.com/attachments/298067_rotflmao_gif3e6d39f70f0f709b4ed32e3e40f8b3d3
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Okijajuju1(m): 7:05am On Jul 29, 2010
A beautiful city attracts investments.

Look at a city like florida, or Newyork. There is a sharp contrast between Manhattan and Harlem.

Slums should be hidden. Most of the people who reside in these slums I repeat have no business being in these cities they occupy.

Someone talked about Port-Harcourt demolishing its slums. Please anyone who remembers the former rainbow city as at 1995 and the same area now would understand the necessity for that demolition.
The slums not only served as an eyesore but a safe haven for criminals. I remember that then, the police would chase criminals and when once they run into "Rainbow City", the police would turn back cos they might just loose their lives if they dare step in there.
I use to buy some of the finest grade Kush from rainbow city in those days.

Today, Rainbow is now almost as fine as G.R.A. And who where the people living in Rainbow town?? Akwa Ibomites and Cross-riverians dominated it.

I agree that the government needs to enhance the state of the Nation so as to provide jobs for these people, but in the absence of such jobs, the rural areas of Nigeria still provide a far better life for them than the city does.

I remember during my National service in Cross-Rivers, I saw a village were they planted and processed rice. I saw that although these people didnt have Flat screen T.V's and fancy cars, they atleast lived a respectable life. There was food, water, clothing and shelter.

Its the greed for a quick and better life that makes most of these boys & girls sell off all their properties and head to lagos in hope and anticipation of a better life only to discover that the city can be a brutal place.

UNTIL SUCH A TIME AS WHEN NIGERIA WILL BECOME A DEVELOPED COUNTRY, the best bet for these slum dwellers still remains our villages.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by johnie: 7:52am On Jul 29, 2010
Okija_juju:

Its the greed for a quick and better life that makes most of these boys & girls sell off all their properties and head to lagos in hope and anticipation of a better life only to discover that the city can be a brutal place.

Somewhat profound but not all these people leave their villages out of greed. Some leave purely for simple economic and survival reasons.

Interestingly, your statement would still be profound if it reads:

Its the greed for a quick and better life that makes most of these boys & girls sell off all their properties and head to lagos the Americas and Europe in hope and anticipation of a better life only to discover that the city these places can be a brutal place.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Okijajuju1(m): 9:21am On Jul 29, 2010
One mans lagos, is another mans America. Trust me.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 2:54pm On Jul 29, 2010
ROFLMAO!!! so it is now one man's Lagos  .and another man's america? 

I am glad someone finally corrected part of your post there. For the rest, I would hope you would do some research of your own to figure out how wrong your FLorida/Newyork comparison there is .
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 29, 2010
Okija_juju:

Look at a [b]city [/b]like florida, or Newyork. There is a sharp contrast between Manhattan and Harlem.
Okija lol
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by babapupa: 3:53pm On Jul 29, 2010
Beaf:

I don't understand this question, can you please edit?

What are the building blocks and framework? Please highlight just a few examples,
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by johnie: 6:36pm On Jul 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO!!! so it is now one man's Lagos .and another man's america?

I am glad someone finally corrected part of your post there. For the rest, I would hope you would do some research of your own to figure out how wrong your FLorida/Newyork comparison there is .

I am not correcting the statement.

I just find it interesting that just as some would sell all their properties just to come and squat in Lagos, many are also selling their properties in Nigeria (Lagos) just to go and squat in America or Europe.

Don't you think its profound?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmy: 6:42pm On Jul 29, 2010
I can see i on miss plenty . . . . .
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by 0hsisi: 7:11pm On Jul 29, 2010
tpiah:

is there any nairaland male you dont have the hots for?

you must be "married" to a eunuch.

either that or you're a hooker.

both scenarios could also be possible.

That makes me a complete living  breathing female grin grin grin grin
You don't have the hots for anyone
how could you?
You asexual creep
You just want to suck their blood like amusu
At least I have a husband
I wish you could at least capture one at gunpoint and keep him up to 24 hours without sucking him to death
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by mamagee3(f): 7:13pm On Jul 29, 2010
Some of these lagosian behave like psychoic people. . .

What's with the lagoon invasion?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by sjeezy8: 7:19pm On Jul 29, 2010
0hsisi:

That makes me a complete living  breathing female grin grin grin grin
You don't have the hots for anyone
You just want to suck their blood like amusu
At least I have a husband
I wish you could at least capture one at gunpoint and keep him up to 24 hours without sucking him to death

Na lie! which kin husband you get obviously hes not doing his job you are on the internet arguing over some unimportant shiot- like hmm yoruba dis n yoruba dat

you betta correct your life - that Segun Abubakar guy must ahve really broke your heart- because you ahve a problem with yorubas and muslims esp Yoruba Muslims.

you betta go and prepare some ogbono soup  for what ever poor guy caught you off the rebound after that yoruba guy dumped you.

lol
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 7:21pm On Jul 29, 2010
babapupa:

What are the building blocks and framework? Please highlight just a few examples,

I already gave a pointer to the sort of thing I'm talking about here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-486703.64.html#msg6470010
But its got to be done by either intra-state cooperation or through the might of our false federalism.
Empowering the grassroots will cost much less than uprooting vagrants and levelings slums, they will always pop up elsewhere and everybodys's money, time, exertions and humanity would have gone to the dogs.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by bawomolo(m): 7:27pm On Jul 29, 2010
lol there are like 3 fights going on in this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Is Nairaland All About Igbos? / Over 100m Nigerians Can’t Be Properly Identified – NIMC / Pics: See Buhari In A Train Provided By GEJ.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.