Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,462 members, 7,840,010 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters (3551 Views)

Again, Fulani Herdsmen Invade Falae’s Farm - VANGUARD / Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} / Doyin Okupe Shares A Photo Of Himself 'floating' In Water'-read His Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmy: 3:26pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Are they asking for your pity?

Response was to Beaf that said Tpiah could not have feelings for the poor.
They wont ask for my pity, cos i want even give it.
There are so many other places in Nigeria to live, not only Lagos, and none were with a gun to his or her head to move to Lagos.

But no one wanna stay in the village and farm.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Response was to Beaf that said Tpiah could not have feelings for the poor.
They wont ask for my pity, cos i want even give it.
There are so many other places in Nigeria to live, not only Lagos, and none were with a gun to his or her head to move to Lagos.

But no one wanna stay in the village and farm.

There are so many other places in Nigeria where they could make a living, pay their rent as well? WOW !!! Where

please tell us where exactly these people can go and get the same market for their goods and services and still pay rent as well . . . . shocked
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 3:29pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^pity you dont know of any.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmy: 3:31pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

There are so many other places in Nigeria where they could make a living, pay their rent as well? WOW !!! Where

please tell us where exactly these people can go and get the same market for their goods and services and still pay rent as well . . . . shocked

All these people . . . what goods are they selling, they sell cloth and alcohol, now how much are they making from that kinda stuff to live in a place that they pee and poo in same water that they bath with?
These people could move to the village, farm and live like real human and not a refugee in their own nation.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AloyEmeka8: 3:37pm On Jul 28, 2010
What is the argument here?. The country is in a shambles and I do not believe it is anybody's right to dictate on where another will live. Those agitating for the people to go live in their village, did you build any house for them in the village?. Some of the inhabitants are from lagos state and have been displaced from their fatherland, where will they migrate to?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 3:43pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

All these people . . . what goods are they selling, they sell cloth and alcohol, now how much are they making from that kinda stuff to live in a place that they pee and poo in same water that they bath with?
Apparently they are making enough to pay their small rent,live and continue their business. Or are we now to attack the size of their biz? I think the point here is they are able to make a living, no matter how small where they are now. My question again to you is where else do you think they can market similar goods and services and still make the same level or even more? Where exactly would you rather these people move to?
Fhemmmy:

These people could move to the village, farm and live like real human and not a refugee in their own nation.
hhmmm . . . . Ok
To farm, you need land, and average cost of land is in the hundreds of thousands, even millions( plot) in the villages. So, how do you expect them to afford cost of land, tools and the rest ? Are you going to pay for all this? Or how exactly do you expect them to deal with these costs if sending them to farm in village is the agreement now.

Are we also assuming here that everyone who has a village OWNS A HOUSE/Has relatives who OWN A HOUSE AT LEAST in the village? Is that the assumption we are all operating on here?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmy: 3:52pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

What is the argument here?. The country is in a shambles and I do not believe it is anybody's right to dictate on where another will live. Those agitating for the people to go live in their village, did you build any house for them in the village?. Some of the inhabitants are from lagos state and have been displaced from their fatherland, where will they migrate to?

Did u by any chance watch the BBC documentary on Nigeria some months ago?
If you do, you would realize that some of those people moves from village on a daily basis, cos some of the people go back to the village every Xmas and flash things without telling them how it is.
Did you see or listen to how many are killed on a daily basis and no one looks for them?
No one is dictating where one should live to anyone, cos we are all nigerians and could live anywhere within the soil of Nija, however, if your situation where you have gone to seek greener pasture aint good, move back to the village before the zambian farmers take all the lands
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmy: 3:56pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Apparently they are making enough to pay their small rent,live and continue their business. Or are we now to attack the size of their biz? I think the point here is they are able to make a living, no matter how small where they are now. My question again to you is where else do you think they can market similar goods and services and still make the same level or even more? Where exactly would you rather these people move to? hhmmm . . . . Ok
To farm, you need land, and average cost of land is in the hundreds of thousands, even millions( plot) in the villages. So, how do you expect them to afford cost of land, tools and the rest ? Are you going to pay for all this? Or how exactly do you expect them to deal with these costs if sending them to farm in village is the agreement now.

Are we also assuming here that everyone who has a village OWNS A HOUSE/Has relatives who OWN A HOUSE AT LEAST in the village? Is that the assumption we are all operating on here?

I remember when i was in Nigeria, that most of the people that moves to lagos have family homes that are empty back home in the village.
Most of this people have family lands that might not even have to pay anything to farm on them.

Those that has no family homes, i am sure can afford to pay such rent in the village and if not cheaper, then, help some other people on the farm and get paid, till they have enuf to lease a land.

Most of this people have family back home, but mostly moved to Lagos in search of greener pastures, and yet nothing is green for them now, so why stick to something that aint working.
Only a mad man will do same thing over and over and yet expect different result.

I will never attack their form of employment, but what is the hope for people that subject themselves to such life.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 4:05pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I remember when i was in Nigeria, that most of the people that moves to lagos have family homes that are empty back home in the village.
So having a house is all there is? What happened to the lack of jobs and all? That all goes out the window because there is a house(no way of affording food) in the village?
Fhemmmy:

Most of this people have family lands that might not even have to pay anything to farm on them.
MOST? ROFLMAO!!! Last time I checked, most of the land in my area has been sold off. Where exactly did you get this MOST picture from? So you are telling me that MOST of the slum dwellers in Lagos are RICH people( cause you do know that land sells for millions in Nigeria now) masquerading as poor folks? ROFLMAO!!

Fhemmmy:

Those that has no family homes, i am sure can afford to pay such rent in the village and if not cheaper, then, help some other people on the farm and get paid, till they have enuf to lease a land.
You are SURE they can afford to pay rent in the villlage? How? Even if rent in the village is Naira 200, don't you still need a steady stream of income to afford even that? Or is it IMPOSSIBLE to be too broke to pay Naira 200 ? You still have not explained what other sources of income await these poeple back there.

Fhemmmy:

Most of this people have family back home, but mostly moved to Lagos in search of greener pastures, and yet nothing is green for them now, so why stick to something that aint working.
Wait a second . . . pull back there. So they came in search of greener pastures and you are convinced there they are better off in their villages still? So, all the people in the villages who depend on money sent back by those who went in search of greener pastures are better off? I don't get it.
Fhemmmy:

Only a mad man will do same thing over and over and yet expect different result.
What exactly is it that they are doing over and over again . . this I would like to know.
Fhemmmy:

I will never attack their form of employment, but what is the hope for people that subject themselves to such life.
By the way, where did you get your MOST stats from? I want to know .  According to stats from the Nigerian government, it turns out People living in Lagos are still better off than those living in villages, so where did you get your stats from.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmy: 4:22pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So having a house is all there is? What happened to the lack of jobs and all? That all goes out the window because there is a house(no way of affording food) in the village? MOST? ROFLMAO!!! Last time I checked, most of the land in my area has been sold off. Where exactly did you get this MOST picture from? So you are telling me that MOST of the slum dwellers in Lagos are RICH people( cause you do know that land sells for millions in Nigeria now) masquerading as poor folks? ROFLMAO!!
You are SURE they can afford to pay rent in the villlage? How? Even if rent in the village is Naira 200, don't you still need a steady stream of income to afford even that? Or is it IMPOSSIBLE to be too broke to pay Naira 200 ? You still have not explained what other sources of income await these poeple back there.
Wait a second . . . pull back there. So they came in search of greener pastures and you are convinced there they are better off in their villages still? So, all the people in the villages who depend on money sent back by those who went in search of greener pastures are better off? I don't get it. What exactly is it that they are doing over and over again . . this I would like to know. By the way, where did you get your MOST stats from? I want to know .  According to stats from the Nigerian government, it turns out People living in Lagos are still better off than those living in villages, so where did you get your stats from.

If you have read my post well, i mentioned that they could be farming and if they cant afford the land, they could labor for someone else till they have enuf money to lease a land and wont even have to buy the land.
I dont know where your own village, but there is no village in Nigeria that "i know of" that has no farm land that people could use for farming, either by buying them or leasing them

Living in Lagos is aiight for people that have what it takes to live there, people that have a job, have a trade and can afford a good accomodation, but not living on same water that they poo and pee into it and yet use same water to bath.

by the way, have you check how they get water to cook?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by AloyEmeka8: 4:27pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Did u by any chance watch the BBC documentary on Nigeria some months ago?
If you do, you would realize that some of those people moves from village on a daily basis, cos some of the people go back to the village every Xmas and flash things without telling them how it is.

You are saying it like someone migrating to lagos from Ekiti for example is flying across the Atlantic for greener pastures. If those who came home lied to them about lagos, they can as well move back to their village and continue from where they stopped. The truth is that majority of those inhabitants are Lagos indigenes and poverty remains the single index that kept them in those slums. Go to other states, they have similar slums if not worse. So, don't think it is limited to lagos state alone.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 4:30pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmy:

If you have read my post well, i mentioned that they could be farming and if they cant afford the land, they could labor for someone else till they have enuf money to lease a land and wont even have to buy the land.
But again, more assumptions possibly not based on the reality of the situation. So you are suggesting there are job openings out in villages where Farm owners are short of farm hands then? Where is this happening by the way?  
Fhemmmy:

I dont know where your own village, but there is no village in Nigeria that "i know of" that has no farm land that people could use for farming, either by buying them or leasing them
No village? Where are these villages where you suggest that most of the land are available for farming but are not being farmed though simply because people are lazy. Start coughing up facts and data already. No need continuing to make assertions without producing factual data to support these claims.
Fhemmmy:

Living in Lagos is aiight for people that have what it takes to live there, people that have a job, have a trade and can afford a good accomodation, but not living on same water that they poo and pee into it and yet use same water to bath.
WOW!! that is nothing but an arrogant statement there my friend . . . please tone it down!
Fhemmmy:

by the way, have you check how they get water to cook?
They definitely do not live clean(heck the situation is disgusting) but my question still is on what REALISTIC alternatives there are for these people. It is easy to sit, deriding them for not being able to afford what we can. It is too easy to assert that they could get better elsewhere but where exactly is elsewhere? Where is the fact that show this elsewhere exists? We have an economy that depends a lot on money sent back by Nigerians abroad. Even many in the villages still depend on these, whom you deride here, for their living. SO again, I ask, where are we sending these people?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Mariory(m): 5:00pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Are they asking for your pity?

They will be when the bulldozers move in. Just a bit more exposure by the media and that place will hopefully soon be cleared.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 5:05pm On Jul 28, 2010
Mariory:

They will be when the bulldozers move in. Just a bit more exposure by the media and that place will hopefully soon be cleared.

Are you confusing the asking for Alternatives with Pity there?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 5:40pm On Jul 28, 2010
Something is being missed here. I really doesn't matter whether these poor folk are in Lagos or Kano or Port Harcourt.
Tribalism is blocking our sense of reason, so much so that we cannot see that those slums are a nationwide problem.

A recent UN statement say's 70% of Nigerians live in slums. . .

When will we ever learn to rise above tribal instinct and see the bigger picture? tribalism is ok for the regular !diots like tpia, but how can so many good folk find themselves dragged down that path? Ah Nigeria! Na wa! cry cry cry
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmmy: 6:07pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But again, more assumptions possibly not based on the reality of the situation. So you are suggesting there are job openings out in villages where Farm owners are short of farm hands then? Where is this happening by the way?  No village? Where are these villages where you suggest that most of the land are available for farming but are not being farmed though simply because people are lazy. Start coughing up facts and data already. No need continuing to make assertions without producing factual data to support these claims. WOW!! that is nothing but an arrogant statement there my friend . . . please tone it down!They definitely do not live clean(heck the situation is disgusting) but my question still is on what REALISTIC alternatives there are for these people. It is easy to sit, deriding them for not being able to afford what we can. It is too easy to assert that they could get better elsewhere but where exactly is elsewhere? Where is the fact that show this elsewhere exists? We have an economy that depends a lot on money sent back by Nigerians abroad. Even many in the villages still depend on these, whom you deride here, for their living. SO again, I ask, where are we sending these people?

There are lands in most of the villages in Oshun state.
There are in Kwara state.
Now remember i said the village, I am not saying they should go to Ilesha and ask for one, but the inside bush of those villages still have lands available.
I am not a proud guy and never will, i was never born with all the silver spoon, so i came from average home as well, they need to see beyond their nose and find a reason to wanna move away from what they see as norm.
I used to have pity for such before till i watch the documentary that aired couple of months ago, where a man that live in such slum still was able to marry more than one woman, having like 17 kids and they all live on the water in some shack, now if that is not self inflicted pain, then, correct me if i am wrong.

If a man moves to Lagos and see such place as a temp, while looking for something better, maybe and only maybe people might understand, but to now make it a home, raise kids in such conditions? common now.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 6:18pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmmy:

There are lands in most of the villages in Oshun state.
There are in Kwara state.
What? If I transported you, yes, you, back to one of those villages, with nothing, what would it matter to you that these lands exist? The people who live in these areas, mind you , about 110 million of them(going by the initial record that our population is really around 200 million) are themselves unable to touch much of the land themselves, so why are you so particular that those in Lagos are the ones who will touch the land?
Fhemmmmy:

Now remember i said the village, I am not saying they should go to Ilesha and ask for one, but the inside bush of those villages still have lands available.
But you have to show in any way that the land you speak of belong to the poor people who are migrants in Lagos or even people in the villages.
Fhemmmmy:

I am not a proud guy and never will, i was never born with all the silver spoon, so i came from average home as well, they need to see beyond their nose and find a reason to wanna move away from what they see as norm.
Many of them do and have accepted the reality of their situation. What I do have a problem with here is why you cannot see that. That you are all too willing to believe a man will leave  WEALTHY HOMES in the village and go to live in slums in Lagos is beyond me.
Fhemmmmy:

I used to have pity for such before till i watch the documentary that aired couple of months ago, where a man that live in such slum still was able to marry more than one woman, having like 17 kids and they all live on the water in some shack, now if that is not self inflicted pain, then, correct me if i am wrong.
I saw the same video and wondered the same but I immediately corrected my thinking there that not all people who live in the slums live that way. Did you realize that yourself? Not all people who live in the slums have two wives and so many children. Some, like the couple in the last movie don't even have kids.
Fhemmmmy:

If a man moves to Lagos and see such place as a temp, while looking for something better, maybe and only maybe people might understand, but to now make it a home, raise kids in such conditions? common now.
Dude, you are now generalizing big time and that is my BIGGEST problem with your argument and that of a whole load of numbskulls out there who assume the poor are ALL non-tax paying migrants from other parts of Nigeria( as if that makes them illegal Aliens). Why would you assume everyone who lives in the slums shares this particular man's story?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 6:21pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Apparently they are making enough to pay their small rent,live and continue their business. Or are we now to attack the size of their biz? I think the point here is they are able to make a living, no matter how small where they are now. My question again to you is where else do you think they can market similar goods and services and still make the same level or even more? Where exactly would you rather these people move to? hhmmm . . . . Ok

i am sorry you know so little about nigeria.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmmy: 6:52pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What? If I transported you, yes, you, back to one of those villages, with nothing, what would it matter to you that these lands exist? The people who live in these areas, mind you , about 110 million of them(going by the initial record that our population is really around 200 million) are themselves unable to touch much of the land themselves, so why are you so particular that those in Lagos are the ones who will touch the land? But you have to show in any way that the land you speak of belong to the poor people who are migrants in Lagos or even people in the villages.Many of them do and have accepted the reality of their situation. What I do have a problem with here is why you cannot see that. That you are all too willing to believe a man will leave WEALTHY HOMES in the village and go to live in slums in Lagos is beyond me. I saw the same video and wondered the same but I quickly realized that not all people who live in the slums live that way. Did you realize that yourself? Not all people who live in the slums have two wives and so many children. Some, like the couple in the last movie don't even have kids. Dude, you are now generalizing big time and that is my BIGGEST problem with your argument and that of a whole load of numbskulls out there who assume the poor are ALL non-tax paying migrants from other parts of Nigeria( as if that makes them illegal Aliens). Why would you assume everyone who lives in the slums shares this particular man's story?

Hello Ma. . . . there is a difference btw being wealthy and someone that has a family house in the village.
if you read thru all my post, i never said a son/daughter of a wealthy man left a wealthy home, it could be just some bricks put together with several rooms, cos i remember how the family homes in the villages are, they are big with compounds with several rooms.
Now most of the family homes are in uses during festivities cos most of the occupants dont reside in the village, they only come home for fun during the festivities, now such homes, what stops some of these people that moved to Lagos punishing themselves in staying their with a decent roof over their head?
I am sure i have told you why earlier.
I am glad we agreed that the state of the kinda place those people on those water are living is terrible.
I am not saying they had to go back to the village without a dime, remember, some never had to live to start with, they left in search for a greener pasture that aint green.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmmy: 6:52pm On Jul 28, 2010
tpiah:

i am sorry you know so little about nigeria.

On the contrary, she is very knowledgeable on Nigeria's issue
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 6:54pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^mainly theories about how to run nigeria- nothing much experience-wise.

also, expressing outrage over photos of slums, gutters and public toilets doesnt necessarily translate to a knowledge of nigeria.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmmy: 6:56pm On Jul 28, 2010
tpiah:

^^mainly theories about how to run nigeria- nothing much experience-wise.

also, expressing outrage over photos of slums, gutters and public toilets doesnt necessarily translate to a knowledge of nigeria.

If you follow her discussion on the Political section, you would fall in love with her arguments.
And from the way she talks, i blv she has lived thru some nasty govt in Nigeria.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 7:22pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmmy:

Hello Ma. . . . there is a difference btw being wealthy and someone that has a family house in the village.
I know that but there is also a difference between having a family house and having a family house, let alone making a living. Sure, it is all too easy to assume those who have a village have a home in the village.  But is that really the reality of life? Many of those you are sending to the village, are you also not sending

Fhemmmmy:

if you read thru all my post, i never said a son/daughter of a wealthy man left a wealthy home, it could be just some bricks put together with several rooms, cos i remember how the family homes in the villages are, they are big with compounds with several rooms.
WOW!!! That is rich though. So what happens to those who do not have family homes in the villages with big compounds, and several rooms? I ask because I happen to be one of those who don't have such(no home in some village somewhere) and I would like to understand what you suggest should be the fate of the poor out there in the same condition. Also, what of those who cannot go back to their 'family homes' because of one divide or another? Even what of those who do not even have family in the villages are all alone in the world? What about the family homes whose upkeep is funded by those who migrated to big cities, to make money they send back to maintain those in the village?

Come on now . .  we need to be able to separate fantasy from reality here. Gone are the days when everyone had a family home back in the village they can run back to. Gone are the days when most everyone had one or more pieces of land inherited and in the family for generations. Many of these lands have been sold off and now belong to people who do not even live in many of these villages. Many in the village now pay rent to continue living in these places and money is needed to pay rents. If there are no jobs to pay rent, of course many will move out to find ways to make ends meet.

Fhemmmmy:

Now most of the family homes are in uses during festivities cos most of the occupants dont reside in the village, they only come home for fun during the festivities, now such homes, what stops some of these people that moved to Lagos punishing themselves in staying their with a decent roof over their head?
Again, there is fantasy and then there is reality! we need to start subscribing more to the latter.
Fhemmmmy:

I am sure i have told you why earlier.
I am glad we agreed that the state of the kinda place those people on those water are living is terrible.
I am not saying they had to go back to the village without a dime, remember, some never had to live to start with, they left in search for a greener pasture that aint green.
But you are judging the greenness here of the pasture by basing your argument on assumed facts about the lives of these people back in their villages.

I have a friend who now lives in North Carolina. He lived in the streets of Lagos as a kid and had to grow up there. His family essentially too poor to fend for him , and so he and his mother left the village somewhere in Ogun to move to Lagos to find some money and food. They slept under bridges and anywhere they could for a while. He was eventually abandoned by his mother and left to fend for himself. He struggled on the streets and made friends and all. Eventually, he was able to escape it all to Canada and some years ago moved fulltime to the USA.
Now the streets were appalling and disgusting, but it was still better than village to him. There was plenty of land back in the village but it did not belong to them and so he could not farm any of it. No one was really hiring and so he had to move so he could continue to survive. Are you saying he would still have been better off if he has moved back to the village?
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 8:35pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmmy:

If you follow her discussion on the Political section, you would fall in love with her arguments.
And from the way she talks, i blv she has lived thru some nasty govt in Nigeria.

kobojunkie isnt new to nl, so most people are familiar with his mode of debate, which is pick an argument and stick with it regardless if it's sensible or not.

isnt this the same person who claimed there was no racism in alabama and by extension, the US, because s/he lived in alabama for a couple of months and only met nice people there.

therefore all racism claims of the past, present and future, must be lies told to sully people's good reputation.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmmy: 8:39pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I know that but there is also a difference between having a family house and having a family house, let alone making a living. Sure, it is all too easy to assume those who have a village have a home in the village.  But is that really the reality of life? Many of those you are sending to the village, are you also not sending
WOW!!! That is rich though. So what happens to those who do not have family homes in the villages with big compounds, and several rooms? I ask because I happen to be one of those who don't have such(no home in some village somewhere) and I would like to understand what you suggest should be the fate of the poor out there in the same condition. Also, what of those who cannot go back to their 'family homes' because of one divide or another? Even what of those who do not even have family in the villages are all alone in the world? What about the family homes whose upkeep is funded by those who migrated to big cities, to make money they send back to maintain those in the village?

Come on now . .  we need to be able to separate fantasy from reality here. Gone are the days when everyone had a family home back in the village they can run back to. Gone are the days when most everyone had one or more pieces of land inherited and in the family for generations. Many of these lands have been sold off and now belong to people who do not even live in many of these villages. Many in the village now pay rent to continue living in these places and money is needed to pay rents. If there are no jobs to pay rent, of course many will move out to find ways to make ends meet.
Again, there is fantasy and then there is reality! we need to start subscribing more to the latter. But you are judging the greenness here of the pasture by basing your argument on assumed facts about the lives of these people back in their villages.

I have a friend who now lives in North Carolina. He lived in the streets of Lagos as a kid and had to grow up there. His family essentially too poor to fend for him , and so he and his mother left the village somewhere in Ogun to move to Lagos to find some money and food. They slept under bridges and anywhere they could for a while. He was eventually abandoned by his mother and left to fend for himself. He struggled on the streets and made friends and all. Eventually, he was able to escape it all to Canada and some years ago moved fulltime to the USA.
Now the streets were appalling and disgusting, but it was still better than village to him. There was plenty of land back in the village but it did not belong to them and so he could not farm any of it. No one was really hiring and so he had to move so he could continue to survive. Are you saying he would still have been better off if he has moved back to the village?

I remember that i said in one of my post that if the living on such slum was for a temporary reasons, it is understandable, but for others that now made it a live style, and making babies there and marrying even more than one wife, those needs to ave their head checked . . . .
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmmy:

I remember that i said in one of my post that if the living on such slum was for a temporary reasons, it is understandable, but for others that now made it a live style, and making babies there and marrying even more than one wife, those needs to ave their head checked . . . .
But, how do you decide how long temporary is going to be? In the case of my friend there, his temporary was almost 30 years. His old friends, some are still on the streets waiting for their temporary to end. Many turned to become agberos and drivers. How temporary should temporary be in the case you speak there? Last I checked, these people still do not have the POWER to decide how temporary their case ought to be . . they continue to struggle and struggle till they make it and then leave.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Fhemmmmy: 8:40pm On Jul 28, 2010
tpiah:

kobojunkie isnt new to nl, so most people are familiar with his mode of debate, which is pick an argument and stick with it regardless if it's sensible or not.

isnt this the same person who claimed there was no racism in alabama and by extension, the US, because s/he lived in alabama for a couple of months and only met nice people there.

therefore all racism claims of the past, present and future, must be lies told to sully people's good reputation.

Lol
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Kobojunkie: 8:49pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^^ You may want to ask that to provide you with evidence of the claim made. Some people on here are too conceited to see through their own ridiculousness.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by tpiah: 8:51pm On Jul 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But, how do you decide how long temporary is going to be? In the case of my friend there, his temporary was almost 30 years. His old friends, some are still on the streets waiting for their temporary to end. Many turned to become agberos and drivers. How temporary should temporary be in the case you speak there? Last I checked, these people still do not have the POWER to decide how temporary their case ought to be . . they continue to struggle and struggle till they make it and then leave.

your friend lived in a slum for 30 years, and you still take issue with the suggestion that people move elsewhere if that's what it takes to improve their standard of living?

There was plenty of land back in the village but it did not belong to them and so he could not farm any of it. No one was really hiring and so he had to move so he could continue to survive. Are you saying he would still have been better off if he has moved back to the village?

your excuses are too convenient and tailored to skirt round fhemmy's question.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 28, 2010
Fhemmmmy:

you forgot that the slum of ajegunle has produced prominent footballers and musicians in nigeria undecided
maybe their parents are not mad afterall raising them in slums.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Okijajuju1(m): 1:52am On Jul 29, 2010
@ Topic

I am with the dude who suggested that people be sent bacl to their villages.

The truth is that Nigerians who live in villages always tend to believe that when once they hit the city, they would pick money on the streets.

If you are in Lagos, not as a lagosian but an immigrant, and you live in a slum like the one in question, then it certainly means you havent suceeded in your quest in lagos. Go back home, repackage and return.

This has got nothing to do with being insensitive to the plight of people. Lagos is already over crowded. Most people in lagos (esp. the non-lagosians) have no business in lagos. Most would be better off in their villages where atleast they have better shelter, land t farm and fod is cheap.

My parents started from the village and only left there to come to lagos when he got a job. Most of the dudes living in those shanties are the dudes robbing you at night, selling gala at traffic stops, picking pockets in the markets and bustops. Agboros and conductors.

The government need to evacuate that slum. Its not only an eyesore, but also a health and security harzard to the country.
Re: Lagosians Invade Lagoons …why We Live In Water – Squatters by Beaf: 2:15am On Jul 29, 2010
^
Those people are only a symptom of problems we have in Nigeria. The only way to rid ourselves of slums, is to roll up our sleeves and fix the country.

If you send them packing, others will only sieze the opportunity to replace them or the original folk will simply pop up elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these folk are the very same people that were driven out of places like Maroko in the 90's. If anyone wishes to send them packing, they better provide them with housing, social security and job security.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Massob Abandons Agitation / Breaking News Tambuwal, Belgore Blame Foreign Powers For Nigeria's WOES / Power Won’t Return To The South Again – Northern Leaders (July 17, 2013)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.