Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,003 members, 7,835,398 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31351 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 7:24am On Dec 28, 2006
hey guys! are u a duke3d lover like me?
During my days of windows my favorite game is duke3d. Now, fully a chronic linux user i missed duke3d. but ive been on it, tryin to port the windws duke3d to linux. Finally i did. I can now play the full version of duke on my fedora core 5 with no flaw!

Fedora rocks!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:08pm On Dec 28, 2006
@niggy haven't overcome the ppp link issue there are other linux games out there e.g america's army wolfstein etc try linux-gamers.net
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 1:08pm On Dec 28, 2006
i don't really like playin games, but do play once in a while. i like cube. About your GPRS connection. Which network are u dialing into?Which distro of linux are u using?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:41pm On Dec 28, 2006
i use celtel and ubuntu even on windows its the same ppp stuff
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 12:38pm On Jan 03, 2007
Hey! no one seems to talk about suse
My sis has a DEL laptop {spec: 800Mhz, 256kb processor cache} and i decided to wipe it clean of windoze and install SUSE 10.
It's pretty amazing!
SUse has lot of things in common with REDHAT and i still has a feel of my fedora when working on it.
Will soon write a full review on suse10
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 12:55pm On Jan 03, 2007
A year of big gains
While the operating system market is still dominated by Microsoft and shows little sign of changing that doesn't mean that all other options have failed hopelessly because there were some significant gains made over the past 12 months. Below are some good examples:

IBM will not use Windows Vista - but will move to Linux desktops
IBM cancelled their contract with Microsoft last October which means that they will no longer use Windows for their desktops. Beginning July, IBM employees will begin using a Red Hat-based platform.

The City of Chicago goes Linux, saves over 85% in the process
Big elements such as the vehicle registrations system, online job applications, restaurant inspections and more were migrated to a Red-Hat system in order to reduce costs and improve support, performance and scalability.

Munich opts to use Debian version of Linux
The city of Munich has opted to use the Debian version of Linux for a high-profile, 14,000-computer installation, passing over Novell's Suse Linux despite its regional popularity. Another massive win.

Ubuntu is noted as being #27 in PCWorld's 100 Best Products of the Year
Clearly a great result being placed above the iPod, iTunes, Google Desktop, Flickr and other good products.

Linux cuts Kent Police system costs by 90% by using SuSE
Kent Police has cut the cost of running its major criminal investigations system by 90% using Novell Open Enterprise Server, the company's version of SuSE Linux.

Kerala (an Indian state) goes Linux
Children in 12500 high schools in the state will not be taught Windows. Instead instructors are lining up Linux for them. Another good win for Linux.

Venezuela's Government Shifts to Open Source Software
According to government sources in Venezuela, the South American nation has announced an official policy that exclusively calls for the use of open source software in that government.

Korea migrates 120K civil servants to Linux desktop
The Korean government is to buy 120,000 copies of Hancom Linux Deluxe this year, enough to switch 23 per cent of its installed base Microsoft user to open source equivalents. So another 120,000 users.

Dell refunds Linux users who ditch XP
Dell, a massive player in the computer market have obviously accepted the need for this as an option for those users who do not wish to have Windows. A reasonably good gain as far as the consumer is concerned.

extracted from: http://www.seopher.com/articles/another_lost_year_for_linux_i_think_not?PHPSESSID=555dca3716b59fb44b553a5a2b5caf0b
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 2:33pm On Jan 03, 2007
i think even the chinese gov't is in favour of linux.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Ynot(m): 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

i think even the chinese gov't is in favour of linux.

Because Linux presents a win-win situation. I have the feeling lots of people are getting feed-up with MS. You can get almost same function with Linux based products as you will with MS and a whole lot cheaper if not free.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 10:24pm On Jan 06, 2007
@adewaleafolabi, solution to your ppp disconnect problem
i just installed suse10 on a p3 laptop and faced the same problem of ppp disconnect when wvdial is used to dial the internet. This is how i solved it.
open the /etc/ppp/options file and comment out this two lines by putting # before each lines like this

#lcp-echo-interval 30
#idle 600

this stopped my ppp from disconnecting.
sure it will work for you too.
cheers!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:52am On Jan 07, 2007
thanks i'll try that now
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hayprof(m): 8:04am On Jan 07, 2007
@wale u still on ur ppp link prob? shocked
God Save u O! cheesy wink
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:36am On Jan 07, 2007
@niggy i added the comment but the idle was already in comments and it still but still gave exit code= 16 @hayprof well anytime u come over plz bring along ur nokia pc suite and ur cable ok
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hayprof(m): 9:02am On Jan 07, 2007
@hayprof well anytime u come over plz bring along your nokia pc suite and your cable ok
-Ok, i wuld wink
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 12:42am On Jan 14, 2007
Finally got fc6 installed.Bye bye core 5.Think i'm gonna miss dat.Anyway a new fc6 is now running on ma celeron 2.6Ghz 512Mb and 64Mb GeForce MX4000 VGA card. Fc6 has no prob detecting ma Geforce card. i only have to download the kernel mod and xorg driver to enable direct rendering.
I'm currently enjoying Cube2(sauerbraten).
Another thing i could notice immediately is the great sound quality of alsa.wow!, there's great improvement in the sound.
I also have my beryl setup fine and i'm havin my desktop turnin round in cube.Amazing!
More detail review to come later. Gotta setup some servers.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 8:42pm On Jan 15, 2007
Let me say for the past 24hours now i've been navigating my desktop at the comfort of BERYL. If you haven't tried it out, you ve to give it a shot.It's the future desktop for LINUX OS. It's full of outstanding effects. I must say u need a 3D graphics card which can be gotten for a cheap price this day.(got 64Mb maself).
The only issue i ve wiv it for now is dat ma video playback drags a little and out of sound sync when at fullscreen. When ever i want to play video for a long time at fullscreen i just disable ma beryl. I equally wrote a bash script to automatically launch beryl at new login like this

#!/bin/bash
beryl-manager

i save this as beryl.sh under ~/kde/Autostart directory and make it executable by doing
chmod u+x beryl.sh

I hope beryl and video playback apps solve the full screen issue soonest.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:13pm On Jan 15, 2007
i seen screen shots of beryl it transforms your os into a video game. nice innovation.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 3:44pm On Jan 16, 2007
finally got my video playback 2 be smooth after countless hours of tweakin.
Sign! But i bet it worth the work. The desktop is pretty good.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 11:53pm On Jan 19, 2007
@adewaleafolabi. What can I say? I'm so sorry for not being around but more emphatic about your problem. I think you should try using an Extra-Initialization string for your modem in the wvdial.conf file. Add a line like:

Init3 = AT+CBST=0,0,1;+CHSN=2,0,0,0;+CGDCONT=,,"internet"<cr>

OR

Init3 = +MODE=2

Replace "internet" with your access point name. It may be wap. That is the init string for Nokia phones (to the best of my knowledge). I hope it works. Try the second one first. How come your gprs is still working? Mine has been dead since like forever.

@niggy. R u sure no one has talked about Suse? I use 9.3 on my desktop on 10.1 on my laptop -- 10.1 is on FIRE!!!

Ciao
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:33am On Jan 20, 2007
@fissayo thanks i'll try that. enough people are experiencing this same problem even on windows2k including me, so its more of a celtel problem.esquire's gprs went dead too but he was able to activate back through a thread on this forum. About suse 10.2 is even better with enough things out of the box like 3d desktop 3d drivers etc am considering it as my second distro
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 1:08pm On Jan 20, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

esquire's gprs went dead too but he was able to activate back through a thread on this forum.

@Esquire, please show me the way.

adewaleafolabi, I support you as per the Suse thing. I think it's one of the best distros on the planet right now. Bliv me, you won't miss windows for a long time if you use it.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:39pm On Jan 20, 2007
@fissayo i won't agree with you on that one ubuntu is the best and most popular distro u should see the amount of activity (in terms of number of people that uses the forum) that goes on in our forum .
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 1:58pm On Jan 20, 2007
Well, agree with you partially. I think Ubuntu is too empty. To optimize it, you'll need good bandwidth to download updates OR get the DVD version. Suse comes bundled with 5 CDs -- do you have an idea of what is packed inside that. While I will recommend Ubuntu for newbies, I say get Suse or updated Ubuntu (or a Debian distro) if you wanna move ahead in you Linux race. I forgot Fedora Core, niggy forgive me. smiley
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by esquire(m): 4:25pm On Jan 20, 2007
Fisayo the Penguin diva
what a pleasant surprise welcome back 2 the forum. Firstly Mikados of the phone section told me He has been browsing cos we were pegged the same time so i went 2 his house and we requested 4 the setting the
usual way wapgprs blah blah
and my line was activated immediately. Secondly concerning which distro is popular, non can beat Ubuntu and 5 or 6 cds distros sometime full of rubbish you don't want and will probably never use but bottomline is they're all linux and thats what matters most. Afo what a gwan i heard there's a LINUX CENTER along Ile Zik - Agege road after Ikeja along will check it out. Cheerio
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:58pm On Jan 20, 2007
@esquire the linux center along that place is an academy i went there once but they were not open then.@fissayo i know what a five cd contains i've used rh 9 and i had an abundance of programms. anyway am trying to get my hands on a dvd version of edgw
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:00pm On Jan 20, 2007
@esquire the linux center along that place is an academy i went there once but they were not open then.@fissayo i know what a five cd contains i've used rh 9 and i had an abundance of programms. anyway am trying to get my hands on a dvd version of edgw
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 10:16pm On Jan 20, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

@fissayo i know what a five cd contains i've used rh 9 and i had an abundance of programms. anyway am trying to get my hands on a dvd version of edgw

@adewaleafolabi. I am sorry about my statement, I didn't mean it as an insult whatsoever. What I meant was that there were a lot of stuff on the CDs. A DVD version of Ubuntu rocks (a friend of mine used to have it). Wassup with your modem? Any good news?

@esquire. Well, you've got a point. By the way, I don't doubt Ubuntu's supremacy in the distro race; but like Suse, it's one of the best. It was designed for ease of use by an average computer user and it has met up with it's purpose. For servers, software development, mathematical computations & representation, sound, image and video editing, and other intensive jobs, that single CD may not meet up. That's when you will need the DVD version or updated one. Suse has helped me with all of these without much stress (since I can be very lazy -- that's why I HATE Fedora!!!). I must confess that Ubuntu has better support for my VAIO laptop (all the shortcut buttons work) than my Suse but it is still too empty for me to do my work.

But you know, I may be missing something smiley.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:42pm On Jan 20, 2007
@fissayo i didn't see that as an insult at all. i guess i was excited that u,esquire are back so i just typed without thinking much. the reason why ubuntu is on a single cd i guess its a live cd but can also serve as an install cd. about red hat am with you fissayo on that rh 9 made me miserable and stupid in front of my family am sorry niggy. i guess the reason 4 this was that it was too old. i'll try fedora but can't leave ubuntu
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:51pm On Jan 20, 2007
@fissayo have u been able to fix your gprs yet? and connect on your pc yet?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 6:50pm On Jan 21, 2007
My brother, I have serious reasons to believe that Celtel has singled out my number not to work for GPRS as a result of over-usage. I must have abused the thing a lot. How far with you modem? Is it still working, I would love to know the correct initialization string for your L6.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:21pm On Jan 21, 2007
@fissayo don't mind celtel jare its not only you. the intialization string didn't work. the modem works fine but celtel doesn't allow me to establish the connection even on windows
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 9:33pm On Jan 21, 2007
I can see that we are beds of a feather. I now understand the PPP error you were talking about, I also see the same kind of error when I try to connect to the internet using my PDA (via my k700i). Let's hope that Celtel will one day save us and restore internet back to us.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:03pm On Jan 21, 2007
@fissayo some have been lucky using sendo x esquire was lucky just for 4seconds another person's phone shows connected but doesn't browse on the pc. what do u think about that?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply)

Windows 8: The Thread / Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.