Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,727 members, 7,831,308 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31335 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:15pm On Jan 22, 2007
@fissayo i've got good news. thank God my pc is connecting all i had to to connecting
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 9:04pm On Jan 22, 2007
Man, wassup with the suspence? Please let me know how you configured your stuff.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:12pm On Jan 22, 2007
@fissayo that was a big typographical error all i had to do was include internet as my apn in motorola phone tools on windows but i think you should be able to add apn in wvdial.conf i would have tried it but nepa struck again
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 9:32pm On Jan 22, 2007
I think the reason it worked is because there's a string for the apn in the intialization string of your modem. Go to Control Panel -> Phone and Modem. Select your motorola phone (you should be able to figure it out) and check it properties. Click the Advanced Tab (or check through all the tabs, can't fully remember) and check out the Extra Initialization String. We're near the promise land concerning this issue.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:19pm On Jan 22, 2007
i checked there's no extra initialization string and when i qureyed the modem i got this

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - +GMM: "GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","MODEL=L6"
AT+FCLASS=? - +FCLASS: 0,1
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 - 000
ATI2 - OK
ATI3 - Motorola Mobile Phone
ATI4 - 000000 2001
ATI5 - P2K
ATI6 - OK
ATI7 - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - +GMM: "GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","MODEL=L6"
AT+FCLASS=? - +FCLASS: 0,1
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 - 000
ATI2 - OK
ATI3 - Motorola Mobile Phone
ATI4 - 000000 2001
ATI5 - P2K
ATI6 - OK
ATI7 - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED

I doubt if this could be of any importance but tried adding apn = internet in your wvdial.conf since it's just a parameter like username and password and also there's a programm gprs easy connect for linux i'll check it and let you know
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:49am On Jan 23, 2007
@fissayo i guess the gprs stuff is no longer important cause free gprs is ending on the 25th cry
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jan 23, 2007
well as a network engineer, i only use wat i need to use for the good of my network

i use to work with several windows servers (NT, 2000, advance server and 2003) well after a while for me i would recommedn NT or advance server 2000 to be the most rugged but u know u have virus to combate with all the time,and using server 2003 it drags ur network over time but i would tell u it is an efficient DNS server the best i have worked with.

then i switched to linux my life did not remain the same i could do anything i wanted to with my linux , routing remote access, bandwidth management, sql etc but u know until ur dealt with u just wont learn

i then realised that in a real time network if u can avoid everything that has to do with a machine with a network card-cos the network cards over time heat up and slows down, for christ sake they r made in china

well i had to completely really on my cisco routers for everything except dns

and of course bandwidth management is superb on a cisco router
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 9:21pm On Jan 24, 2007
I feel you Afolabi. I really wish that the service is affordable, at least, I'm sure that I will have access to it again.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 9:22pm On Jan 24, 2007
I feel you Afolabi. I really wish that the service is affordable, at least, I'm sure that I will have access to it again.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:25pm On Jan 24, 2007
@fissayo you can try mtel i heard it was free
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hayprof(m): 11:47pm On Jan 24, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

@fissayo you can try mtel i heard it was free

Free free free grin grin
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 6:45am On Jan 25, 2007
Thanks to wine. i can install Wolfenstein into my windows partition and play it on my fedora linux.with wine the game is loaded without hitch into my linux box and i'm pretty getting addicted to the game now.Gotten to mission 4:catatomb, and have been battling with the fire razing zombies!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:44am On Jan 25, 2007
@niggy i thought wolfstein ran natively on linux?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hayprof(m): 11:52am On Jan 25, 2007
Hw do i install softwares in ubuntu when i av d files on my desktop?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 12:07pm On Jan 25, 2007
got the cd from a friend. the linux version is like 250mb. can wait to dowload dat, u know.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:26pm On Jan 25, 2007
@hayprof just click on it and it installs itself incase you encounter dependency problem note the file that is needed, then just go to the page you downloaded from and you can see the file and download it. you can also see your linux partition in windows and write to it go to http://fs-driver.org/ i've used it before and it works also since you said you wanted to make a data partition you can use ext3 instead of fat32 since using this fs driver you are able to read and write in both os. am online meet me on msger for futher assistance
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:47pm On Jan 25, 2007
am sorrry ahmed but i just learnt that the fs driver doesn't work for 64 bit pc's
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by esquire(m): 11:39pm On Jan 25, 2007
Men my main board gave me some series of post error that occur when ram is faulty and i tried 4 different ram of the same speed and also tried power pack the error still persist until i examine the board in daylight and discover that one of the data bus is broken that i.e all the thin line on the board got burnt and some resistor so the board has gone home after about 2  years of hard use 4 power pack got burnt on it so it has really served me. Am bargaining 4 a P4 main board from one of my guy. Cheerio[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:27am On Jan 26, 2007
@esquire a new board should be <= 8,000 grin i've been using a pc chips board for more than two years now the only problem i thinkk i had was apower problem and the ps2 ports which i burnt myself grin then with two nonfunctional usbports. i hope this helps grin
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by esquire(m): 9:46am On Jan 26, 2007
Afo give me the full statistic of that your board like the maybe it comes with processor when you got it and all those stuff cos i just wan go buy processor 2.8 ghz new one around 9 thousand into a board with pocket 478 so throw more light b4 i waste my hard earned dough .Cheerio
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:08am On Jan 26, 2007
what 2.26ghz processor for 9,000 shocked shocked thats impossible i bought mine two years ago for 24,000 and board for like 8,000 i think you must be talking about the board that doesn't come with a processor o. so confirm wella fist before you gba o
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 12:37pm On Jan 26, 2007
Esquire, does your guy have more motherboards to sell? A P4 at that price is quite unbelievable. Be sure of what you're getting as afolabi as suggested. Have you tried using an AMD machine? It's really nice and I think that you should give it a shot. Been using mine for quite some time and very impressed.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by esquire(m): 8:26pm On Jan 26, 2007
lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed hey what happen is you guys don't seems 2 understand what i said there is this board that the processor is not good and another processor was tested on it and it worked so its this board that i want 2 buy ordinary processor into and the 9 grand is 4 procesr lone the complete board is 1
7 grand & its 2.8ghz
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:50pm On Jan 26, 2007
well good luck to you cause i don't seem to understand what you're saying is it that board = 17000 i wonder what kind of board and processor = 9000 thats way to cheap for a p4
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 9:55pm On Jan 26, 2007
Wish you luck man. Get your PC soon. I hope that it's not affecting your productivity?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 12:05pm On Feb 03, 2007
hayprof:

Hw do i install softwares in ubuntu when i av d files on my desktop?

Easiest way to install is like any Debian based distro using apt-get install, or better still use Synaptic. Synaptic will take care of all dependencies.

If the file is on your desktop, then right click on the file and click install with package installer.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by jogego(m): 12:10pm On Feb 03, 2007
Just finished upgrading my Edgy thinkpad to Feisty Fawn development version Alpha 3. Everything working fine without any problem. Only difference I noticed is that the SLED is now included on the menu. Wireless,sound, ethernet, all working without any stress. Rebooting is superfast now though.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by anusule(m): 3:48pm On Feb 03, 2007
@niggy please i need this linux abeg. adeyinkasule@gmail.com
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by hayprof(m): 8:10pm On Feb 04, 2007
Guys, How do i install a tar.gz file on my Kubuntu?

I created a fat32 partition for my data files on my HDD but kubuntu refused to recognize it. Happen?
-But Windows can see it?

N.B Mehn, I See Vista 4 K.V how far any one seen it too? shocked
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 3:23pm On Feb 05, 2007
I think linux users need to stop thinking windows users are lazy as an excuse not to provide proper documentation. I don't think Googling to solve the smallest problem is an answer. we aren't talkng about Linux vs Windows for IT geeks (even though i used to be one), we're talking Windows vs Linux for regular, everyday people!

I've got a friend that's been trying to get me to switch to linux. I haven't been bothered to do that, cos i game once in a while and playing old games (like Wolfenstein or Doom) doesn't cut it for me. However, I decided to install Linux on my Playstation 3, and i dutifully installed Yellow Dog Linux. Aside for the text-heavy bootup screens, i havta say that the damn thing isn't quite there in terms of user-friendliness. Imagine, to install VLC, i hadto get and install several rpms, worry about dependencies and other crapolas. To install Mplayer, i had to untar, run make, configure etc. To use mplayer to play a file, i had to run a command, because these linux geeks don't even think that a GUI is useful. You actually have to get the GUI skin files seperately, and then run make and then configure gui command.
Sadly, since i had already done the installation without GUi, i kept gettign errors when i tried to install the GUi version. i searched in vain for a way to uninstall programs, thanks to the non inclusion of any 'help' feature whatsoever.
FInally the installation came through, after several sweaty moments. Now i can play the files with mplayer, but i have to use a command when i want to play in fullscreen.

At times that makes me long for the ease of installing ONE .exe file to solve all my problems, !
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 2:04am On Feb 10, 2007
texazzpete wow! You mean you installed linux on your ps3? I give it to you. I agree with you about Linux user-unfriendliness but I think the trend is changing drastically. Ubuntu, for instance, is very easy to use - you may not even notice that you're using Linux.

It is, however, important to note that using Linux is different from using Windows just as using Windows is different from using a Mac; all these are different platforms with uniques strengths and weaknesses. If you need the strengths of any of these platforms, you've gotta work hard at it. Remember that your computer is just a tool, use the right tool for your job.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 11:20am On Feb 10, 2007
well i can still say people are still un-informed. who says linux is not userfriendly?The lazy i guess?
Let get one thing straight if you like windoze,fine no wahala. if you are for linux, it's yr choice. I ve been using redhat/fedora releases for more than 2 years now and i ve not missed ma windoze. i feel comfortable using the gui and learning the commandline all the time. it's pretty fun having new things to discover and learn about your os and hardware. e.g i just got a philips tv card which i m configuring on my fedora. fine, it's not working out-of-the-box but it's have made me to learn more about tv cards and tuner in such a few time. i now know about bttw and saa7134 tv chipsets and their various tuners. i like learning. But everything is a matter of choice.
People learn windoze in a way, only dat there aint much to learn there. Like i ask ma friends back at skol, "what's the difference between you and the female typist at the Student Union Building using windoze?" practically what you can boast about windows as a graduate, they know it too grin . The computer students in ma school are now running around to get an edge by learning linux. That's it, you sometimes need the edge. i can drop to windoze anytime without worry. So i spend ma precious times learning linux to get the edge.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply)

Windows 8: The Thread / Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.