Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Linux or Windows Operating System? - Computers (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux or Windows Operating System? (31212 Views)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 4:26am On Feb 11, 2007
Lol! I didn't see it in that way. Computer typist? Your point sailed thru man.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 9:00am On Feb 11, 2007
Niggy:

well i can still say people are still un-informed. who says linux is not userfriendly?The lazy i guess?
Let get one thing straight if you like windoze,fine no wahala. if you are for linux, it's yr choice. I ve been using redhat/fedora releases for more than 2 years now and i ve not missed ma windoze. i feel comfortable using the gui and learning the commandline all the time. it's pretty fun having new things to discover and learn about your os and hardware. e.g i just got a philips tv card which i m configuring on my fedora. fine, it's not working out-of-the-box but it's have made me to learn more about tv cards and tuner in such a few time. i now know about bttw and saa7134 tv chipsets and their various tuners. i like learning. But everything is a matter of choice.
People learn windoze in a way, only that there aint much to learn there. Like i ask ma friends back at skol, "what's the difference between you and the female typist at the Student Union Building using windoze?" practically what you can boast about windows as a graduate, they know it too grin . The computer students in ma school are now running around to get an edge by learning linux. That's it, you sometimes need the edge. i can drop to windoze anytime without worry. So i spend ma precious times learning linux to get the edge.

It's funny how people tend to excuse masochism for enlightenment. the whole purpose of the linux is to give end users a FREE, stable, open source OS, right? and also to serve as a replacement for commercial Operating Systems, right? So why not make the transition from Windows OS to Linux as seamless as possible? Why spend endless man-hours trawling the internet for tips and guides?
it's entirely common for linux users to accuse people who are too busy to do such tomfoolery of laziness. I hold down a challenging job in which i have to supervise lots of people. When i get back from the office or the rig, i expect my computer to do all i want it to do easily, without wasting time typing endless commands in a terminal. What's the point?

I have nothing against linux. But if you must use words like 'Windoze' and 'micro$oft' for Windows users, you have to give them a pressing reason for switching to Linux OS. And besides, the time it takes to update your windows and antivirus and other security patches is far far less than the time you'd take endlessly seeking solutions and typing commands. Make the damn thing more user friendly!
Instead we get these elitist guys all happy in their geekdom, expecting John Q Public to easily jump to Linux OS.
Just look at your reason for switiching to Linux: You want to look different bla bla bla. Who cares if a computer typist knows windows? It's not all about the OS but what you can do with it. There are probably some Typists who can do more tricks with Corel Draw than Bill Gates. So?

Someone coded a media player called mplayer, and the arsewipe couldn't even fit in a GUI. Then we're supposed to jump with glee at it, eh?

I plan to install Ubuntu, Mac Osx and Windows Vista on my laptop soon. That way i can see what all the buzz is about linux. But my primary OS still remains windows until these clowns get their act together. I just hate it when Nigerian Linux users whine that linux is better because its free, when most of these guys have never purchased a windows product int heir lives (no, the N200 cds in Otigba don't count!)

FInally, i must re-iterate i have nothing against linux. I've installed linux on my ipod, my xbox and now my ps3, just to see how it looks and feels. I use the Ps3 linux more often, at least it's the only way i can play vcds on a ps3 grin. Y'all learnt how to use computers on a windows pc, and if you're a modern gamer you prolly play your games in win xp. show respect. don't get with the linux geeks uber-religious crappy talk and start calling it windoze.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 9:03am On Feb 11, 2007
Just to head you off; i got a good IT background grin
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 4:03pm On Feb 11, 2007
@texazzpete, you've mistaken me.I started this thread in the first place. i am not an advocate for linux in trying to win users for linux.No! check ma post. i write tutorials and howtos on this thread. i give news on development and related tips on linux. Don't give a damn if you use linux or not. Torvaldo does not care less too.
This is not a war of user friendliness or not, neither a btw windoze and linux. There are diff OS outthere, so pick your choice and let the world rest. Don't get linux users wrong, they are only expressing their gratitude and enthusiasm for discovering something new,maybe the truth.
The truth is linux is developing and it's doing it pretty fast than anyone could imagine.Just give it some time more and you will see wonder.
Let me give you a tip. linux is wide, very wide. So it kinda difficult to have a single gui that would do effectively what an application is meant to do. i do scripting alot and i've wondered too why there are no gui fit to do them easily. But no, the script are updated with new features now and then. i configure all ma servers using their respective scripts, and strongly thought if a gui can expressively do what the scripts are doing.
so pls get real. Linux has come to stay and is seriously a threat to windoze. or why is Mr bill gate suddenly insterested in partnership with Norvell (SUSE linux)?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by naijafan(m): 5:26pm On Feb 11, 2007
@Niggy

No no no. I was going thru your posts and there was a time you were telling someone something like server softwares where originally made by the linux community and that Microsoft is just being a copycat by having them on their platforms. Exactly what software are you referring to? Even MySql, PHP, Apache etc that run on windows werent written by Microsoft (i think every technical person should know that). When you write something that operates seamlessly on a less favourable platform, you need to write versions that will work just fine on popular platforms to at least draw people's attention to your product.

Niggy:
i configure all ma servers using their respective scripts, and strongly thought if a gui can expressively do what the scripts are doing
The script-GUI scenario can be compared to a simple FTP client. Many of them usually have a window that displays what goes on in the background when you perform actions on the user interface, which leaves me to wonder what the world would be like if you actually had to type those commands just to get your job done. Even checking your mails on a client does lots of SMTP command exchange in the background. So that statement up there either means you dont actually configure servers or you dont know what you are saying. Of course, GUI's are friendly layers over what could have caused an average user endless pain using scripts.

In my own opinion, Linux is a good platform and I really respect some distributions out there, but the fact that linux is a threat to windows is nothing more than a wild dream. Except if your threat means Microsoft loosing at most 10% of their customer to it.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 7:50pm On Feb 11, 2007
@Niggy
No ones telling me whether to install linux or not. but when i choose to do so, i should be freely allowed to express my dismay at the lack of proper documentation and the need to endlessly debug and consult to get things done.
linux is targeted at end users, everyday users. these guys need to make the change from Windows or mac OS to linux as seamlessly as possible.

Linux is developing fast, i agree, but there isnt much it can do that commercial OSes on the market can't do.

if we aren't here to bash any OS, why call it 'windoze'? Like i said before, 90% of home windows users in Nigeria haven't purchased any of the windows products they use, so you can understand my irritation when they come oujt using words like 'windoze'. for example, Chxta, my close pal has been using Ubuntu for years now and he's pretty good at it, but i get pretty mad when he insists on saying 'Windoze', considering the fact that he's never paid one dollar to MS for all the software he's been using.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 11:49am On Feb 12, 2007
excuse me guys!!i really hate debating on stuffs like this and i've always try to avoid it, but i know what i know. Let's do something constructive with this thread than arguing.
Jogego, where are you?Think i miss u pal. Anyone has better clue on configuring saa7134 tv tuner card on fedora core 6!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kino: 6:24pm On Feb 12, 2007
Both have their benefits and disadvantages -
Windows - Loads of viruses and main point not free cry
Linux - stable,free and few viruses (because virus writer are not interested in targetting it since 80% of pc in the world run windows anyway).

Advice - You can run which ever you want but be warned if looking for a job Windows dominate every office out there ;
Linux is for Geeks and Windows for the stupid tongue.

One love
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by naijafan(m): 6:53pm On Feb 12, 2007
@Niggy

You dont want a debate, then why's the topic named like a debate? I actually wasnt debating. Just trying to correct you. It would only be polite to acknowledge and address the issue rather than shoving it aside like you some untouchable fellow.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 11:53pm On Feb 12, 2007
kino:

Linux - stable,free and few viruses (because virus writer are not interested in targetting it since 80% of pc in the world run windows anyway).

Advice - You can run which ever you want but be warned if looking for a job Windows dominate every office out there ;

One love

possibly the dumbest comment here. Does that mean you grew up stupid?

Linux may be free, but it's got its drawbacks. At least we windows users dont have to scramble round looking for fixes and we can play FEAR and Call of Duty 2 without breaking a sweat.

funny enough, im not here to slag off any OS. At least, ever since i installed YDL 5.0 i became a fully fledged linux user grin. Still think Windows the best for productivity and fun sha!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Ynot(m): 12:39am On Feb 13, 2007
kino:

One love

80% of the world can't be stupid. We're all slave to new technology and Microsoft's planned obsolescence.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 12:05pm On Feb 13, 2007
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by kino: 12:59pm On Feb 13, 2007
texazzpete:

possibly the dumbest comment here. Does that mean you grew up stupid?

Linux may be free, but it's got its drawbacks. At least we windows users don't have to scramble round looking for fixes and we can play FEAR and Call of Duty 2 without breaking a sweat.

funny enough, im not here to slag off any OS. At least, ever since i installed YDL 5.0 i became a fully fledged linux user grin. Still think Windows the best for productivity and fun sha!

It seems you misunderstood the question - Read it again my bro. The guy is looking for advice on which is best. If he is a techie then windows,linux whatever doesn't matter as long as he knows how to fix them when it goes belly up. I agree with the other guy we are all slaves of Mr. Gates and his empire. You mentioned for productivity windows is better - how do you measure productivity - Man it depends on the task at hand tongue .

My brother - if you are a techie I will advice you to use Linux else stick with Windows. (All major banks in the world run Linux or some kind of Unix as Backoffice so which do you think is better - Its not a million dollar question. kiss
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by naijafan(m): 5:20pm On Feb 13, 2007
silly, banks use unix or linux for their backoffice because its crucial to their everyday operations. its only logical to use an operating system with the least recorded attacks which equals proven reliability. usually, very few individuals actually work with and configure those systems. other systems in the banks run on microsoft windows.

productivity. in any case where linux causes productivity, a windows application exists somewhere that doubles it. and dat's a fact. so the question of productivity is a non issue.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 10:33pm On Feb 14, 2007
At last! finally got ma philip saa7134 tv card working on fedora core 6!Watching NTA channel 10 now with audio working fine!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by naijafan(m): 11:28am On Feb 15, 2007
i'd have started watching it the minute i got home from the store if it was my windows grin grin grin grin
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 12:34pm On Feb 15, 2007
Exactly! Sheer, self-glorifying masochism at work grin grin
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 2:29pm On Feb 15, 2007
Linux and Vista users share driver pain
Linux kernel developers offer free support to struggling hardware manufacturers

Customers are getting annoyed. They spent good money on the latest and greatest PC peripherals, only to find out that the hardware is only partially supported on their operating system of choice. Without the kernel drivers necessary to power them, some of the best features of the new toys are going unused.

Oh, and just to be clear: The OS we're talking about is Microsoft Windows.

Hardware vendors seem to be having a tough time getting up to speed with Windows Vista, the latest iteration of Microsoft's client OS. Drivers have yet to emerge for many products that have worked for years under XP, and those drivers that do exist are buggy or missing features.

Link hia: http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/02/12/07OPopenent_1.html
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 3:09pm On Feb 15, 2007
i dont expect the person not knowing the meanin of masochism to understand linux.

masochism n. The deriving of sexual gratification, or the tendency to derive sexual gratification, from being physically or emotionally abused.

what has this thread got to do with sexual,

Pls use words of whose meaning you know.pls.

My howto on configuring saa7134 tv card come l8a.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by naijafan(m): 8:49pm On Feb 15, 2007
@Niggy

how come you claim to understand linux when you don't even know how to use methaphors?!

The deriving of sexual gratification, or the tendency to derive sexual gratification, from being physically or emotionally abused

You are simply being emotionally (and sometimes physically) abused by the linux developers and yet, you think you're deriving pleasure from it which is obvious from the way you talk. It took you (god knows how long) to configure your TV Card for Linux and yet you are satisfied with it. I hope you now understand.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by allonym: 12:26am On Feb 16, 2007
Niggy:

Linux and Vista users share driver pain
Linux kernel developers offer free support to struggling hardware manufacturers

Customers are getting annoyed. They spent good money on the latest and greatest PC peripherals, only to find out that the hardware is only partially supported on their operating system of choice. Without the kernel drivers necessary to power them, some of the best features of the new toys are going unused.

Oh, and just to be clear: The OS we're talking about is Microsoft Windows.

Hardware vendors seem to be having a tough time getting up to speed with Windows Vista, the latest iteration of Microsoft's client OS. Drivers have yet to emerge for many products that have worked for years under XP, and those drivers that do exist are buggy or missing features.

Link hia: http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/02/12/07OPopenent_1.html

Are you serious? Hmm. . a new OS is having problems supporting new peripherals. Yet linux which has been out since before win xp, still only supports a small subset of the possible hardware I can use on my windows xp machine. This is a disingenuous argument meant to misdirect.

If we're going to compare OSes, lets do an apples to apples comparison (hehehe no pun intended).

I agree that linux and windows both have advantages and disadvantages, many of them in different but critical areas.

Its funny, the biggest advantages of linux and windows are pretty much in mutually exclusive domains.

It's a common concept that in order to gain security, you must give up usability. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is lying. Linux offers great security. The cost you pay is the ability to use it with just about anything you want. Windows is a buy once run anywhere on anything by anybody. Unfortunately, in order to be able to operate just about any hardware someone designs or software, concessions have to be made. Seeing that it is impossible to write special case code to cover everyone and anything that could possibly be invented in the future, windows must neccesarily sacrifice a lot of security.

When it comes down to it, the OS that you use should be the one for the job. When talking to people about the OS to use, you should evaluate the usage scenarios. If somebody wants to play all the latest and greatest games on a machine that they'll be upgrading memory, video cards, and sound on a 3 month basis, a windows machine is the best solution. If I want to run a 30 machine cluster dedicated to number crunching for my thesis project, there is no question that the OS be some nix variant.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 8:26am On Feb 16, 2007
Niggy:

i don't expect the person not knowing the meanin of masochism to understand linux.

masochism n. The deriving of sexual gratification, or the tendency to derive sexual gratification, from being physically or emotionally abused.

what has this thread got to do with sexual,

Please use words of whose meaning you know.please.

My howto on configuring saa7134 tv card come l8a.

Ah, yes! The personal attacks begin.

mas·och·ism
–noun 1. Psychiatry. the condition in which sexual gratification depends on suffering, physical pain, and humiliation.
2. gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions or the actions of others, esp. the tendency to seek this form of gratification.
3. the act of turning one's destructive tendencies inward or upon oneself.
4. the tendency to find pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, etc.

Does definition number 2 mean anything to you? Why do people come out openly to advertise their ignorance? Before you say anything next time, be sure of yourself, k?

you subject yourself to unnecessary self-torture to achieve something you could do with minimal effort simply for the awe-inspiring bragging rights of being more technically adept than a typist (which you would be anyway!) abi? Totally brainless! At least other linux lovin' guys i've met have more cogent reasons to do the switch.

You remind me of how i used to be when i was so hell-bent on hand coding my websites in raw HTML, using notepad. i used to sneer at all the dreamweaver guys and frontpage dudes were beneath my contempt, until one day one guy asked me why would i like trekking to Lagos when i could take a flight?
I got the analogy; why waste time on doing things the hard way when you can do it more effectively and efficiently the easier way?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Linux is bad, but it's an alternative people should be free to choose. and please, only idiot fanboys bash windows unrelentingly.
Then again, i can understand. the minority always yab the majority, the industry leader always becomes the biggest target!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 9:56am On Feb 16, 2007
My apologies for the earlier post on "word meaning", dat's not me. All the same, i don't see a reason for exchange of personal attacks. Pls if my post has been offensive in any way, my apologies. Let drop this "win/lin" thing and share ideas.
That's the best way i think we should relate.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by naijafan(m): 6:34pm On Feb 16, 2007
ghosts post using people's IDs on nairaland?!
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by texazzpete(m): 9:10am On Feb 17, 2007
@Niggy
No wahala. As we speak, i am currently searching for linux software for power pc processors (like the one in ps3) lemme see if i can do more on the Ps3 Yellow Dog Linux. So far, i've been able to install mplayer gui and now i can play vcds and divx. W00t!

anyway, here's something on a neutral ground; i'm currently trying to install mac osx on my sony vaio laptop. if it works, i'll see about installing linux later on just for test and awareness purposes.

for the gamers out there, pcsx2, the only playstation 2 emulator is set to receive a linux port. y'all should be happy
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 12:31am On Feb 18, 2007
Hmmn! About this Linux/Windows thing. I have always believed that it is not right to bash Windows/Linux (except for fun). We should all use the right tools for our jobs. I'm an engineer and, from my experience, I think Linux is the best for our kind.

It is important to note that the main advantage of OpenSource is sharing knowledge. Using Linux gives you knowledge about your computer devices while Windows doesn't. I have a wild guess that many Windows administrators don't have an idea of simple things like disk partitioning. You may say that it's not important but wait until you have critical data on a drive with a failed partition table, without RAID to help out, and out of reach of "friendly" partition recovery tools; then you can decide how important it is.

Some say Linux does things the hard way and Windows is the easy way out. Well, I partially agree. What I need to understand is the definition of "hard". Hard is when you stress yourself in accomplishing something without learning anything, which is not the case for Linux. If you've ever tried to solve a problem in Windows manually, then you'll know that Linux is far easier than Windows. For instance, my Windows has failed to go on Standby/Hibernation. I have browsed forever about it and tried so many of the tips but it's still not working. I have an updated OS (as of two-days ago) but the problem is still persistent. To solve the same problem in Linux is a breeze for me. All I have to do is to edit some text files and everything works well. I remember when I had to crack a virus on Windows manually, it was hell but I learnt so much from the experience after succeeding.

My point is simple: getting knowledge doesn't come easy. Windows gave me an illusion that I was smart, Linux (OpenSource tools generally) revealed my ignorance. The great part is that I have used that knowledge to improve my computing experience because I can figure to a great extent why and how things are happening.

If you're on this forum, it because, somehow, you appreciate computing and are not like the majority that don't care about how things happen. Are you under an illusion that you're smart?
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 5:56pm On Feb 18, 2007
@fisayo,
you've spoken tremendiously well my brother.nice yan.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by allonym: 12:33am On Feb 19, 2007
fisayo:

If you're on this forum, it because, somehow, you appreciate computing and are not like the majority that don't care about how things happen. Are you under an illusion that you're smart?

I use windows and i've used linux (on a cluster that I used for some research work). I did not require a machine to disabuse me of an grandiose illusions I may have had of myself. In any case, my extensive use of DOS made my transition to using linux (the first time I'd seriously used the OS for anything) for my research work very easy.

For my everyday life, I still prefer windows. My thinkpad is rock solid and I've been to the wiki for linux on my machine and waaay too many features of my laptop is unsupported (and will remain that way - I have a thinkpad x24 which IBM stopped making years ago). Linux will never give me the experience of using it that windows will. And since windows has been stable on my machine - I've never had issues with viruses or crashing (perhaps because I keep my windows and antivirus up to date. . .well to be honest. . they take care of doing that themselves), it does not make sense to bother to use linux.

Like I've said, and many others have said here, you use the right tool for the job.
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by fisayo: 1:42am On Feb 19, 2007
@allonym
allonym:

I use windows and i've used linux (on a cluster that I used for some research work). I did not require a machine to disabuse me of an grandiose illusions I may have had of myself. In any case, my extensive use of DOS made my transition to using linux (the first time I'd seriously used the OS for anything) for my research work very easy.
You're better than me! You actually used DOS that well, at least well enough to use a Linux shell without stress. I guess I prefer a lazier approach - using Bash. wink

allonym:

Like I've said, and many others have said here, you use the right tool for the job.
I couldn't agree better with you smiley
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by allonym: 1:46am On Feb 19, 2007
fisayo:

I couldn't agree better with you smiley

smiley And to select the right tool, you need to have some objective comparison between a few.

this reminds me of another saying: "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".
Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 10:31am On Feb 19, 2007
i had time to play with beryl on my fc6 over the weekend and these are the pics i took,

Re: Linux or Windows Operating System? by Niggy(m): 10:48am On Feb 19, 2007
wolfenstein runnin on a cube, amazin!

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Mtn Hynet--- / Windows 8: The Thread / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.