Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,448 members, 7,770,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:08 AM

Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives (15085 Views)

Urgently Need A Juice Production Plant With 5000 Bottles Per Hour Capacity!! / Jonathan To Open Innoson Auto Plant, As Ghana Comes Pleading / Jonathan To Open Innoson Auto Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by asha80(m): 1:14am On Jul 30, 2010
Ghana woos Innoson auto plant with incentives
I’ll consider offer later –Chukwuma
By Moses Akaigwe [igwemos@sunnewsonline]
Friday, July 30, 2010
Photo:Sun News Publishing

More Stories on this Section

[b]If recent developments at Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Limited (IVM) are enough foretaste of what the future holds for the Nnewi-based auto plant, then it is well on the way to becoming the corporate version of the biblical prophet that is respected more abroad than at home.

Though production is yet to gather full momentum, the plant and the vehicles that have so far rolled off the production lines have been attracting attention from the ECOWAS sub-regional markets, particular Ghana which last week sent a top-level delegation to Nnewi, to discuss business with the management of Innoson.

This is ironically coming at a time when the Nigerian auto makers, including the new Nnewi plant, are as usual going cap-in-hand to the Federal Government, appealing to be keyed into the N10 billion mass transit scheme being packaged by the Urban Development Bank, which has already advertised its preference for imported fully built-up vehicles.

Led by the Deputy Minister for Transport, Madam Dzifa Aku Attivor, the visitors toured various sections of the auto plant (and briefly watched production in progress), the plastics-making sister company in Emene, Enugu, which supplies some of the vehicles’ parts and accessories, as well as a new tyre manufacturing company, General Tyres and Tubes Limited, also a member of the Innoson Group.[/b]

The Deputy Minister who repeatedly expressed how “very, very impressed” she was during the tour of the auto plant, said she and her team were on a fact- finding mission. She disclosed that they were in Nigeria to explore the possibility of not just introducing some of Innoson Group’s products to the Ghanaian market, but also setting up similar auto plant in Ghana.

Assuring that Ghana has a very friendly business environment which enhances quick return on investments, Madam Aku implored the Chairman of Innoson Group, Chief Innocent Chukwuma to come over to her country, adding, “I want to appeal to him to set up a plant in Ghana, and he will have return on his investments”. A package of incentives, according to her, is awaiting Innoson, if he decides to take the offer.

The delegation showered encomiums on Chief Chukwuma, for his foresight and entrepreneurial acumen, which they said were evident in the Nnewi auto plant and his other investments in the manufacturing sector.

Both the Deputy Minister and the Deputy Chairman of Ghana’s ruling party (NDC), Sinare Saleh, who was also part of the delegation, harped on the need to do away with the drawbacks of the economic cooperation agreements by the ECOWAS sub-regional grouping, in order to ensure that business transactions boon among the peoples of the member-states, as against the present situation where scarce resources are lost to imports from outside the African continent.

If Innoson vehicles are good, reasonable priced and suitable for West African roads, it would amount to wastage to continue to go far for imports, Saleh argued after the tour of the auto plant. Commenting earlier also a brief reception for the visitor at the plant, both the Chairman of All-Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Victor Umeh, and a well known campaigner for a viable auto industry in Nigeria, Chief David V.C. Obi, made a case for the patronage of the products of Innoson plant and other locally made vehicles.

Dr.Obi who is the Chairman of ALCMAN, an association manufacturers and suppliers of vital components to the auto makers in Nigeria, told the guests that vehicles made by Innoson meet very high international standards.

Taking the visitors through the production lines, Chief Chukwuma said the product range so far includes mini, midi and luxury buses, pick-ups and SUVs. The buses have air-conditioners and video entertainment. However, he disclosed that there were plans to widen the product mix to accommodate more commercial and purpose-built vehicles, including refuse collectors/compactors.

Reacting to the offer by the Ghanaian government to avail himself of the attractive incentives in their country and set up a plant, Chukwuma said he would give it a serious thought, after the Nnewi auto maker has stabilised.

He said: “I consider it a big honour and privilege for the government of Ghana to make me such a rare offer. I will think about it. But for now, the important thing is to make sure that there is enough patronage for Innoson vehicles in Nigeria, and that Innoson itself meets the demand of the local market in terms of quality, volume and after-sales support. That is our major target for now. Of course, after that, we will be glad to hit Ghana”.

Innoson auto plant is presently producing vehicles according to orders placed by customers. Some of the buses were sighted on the East-Lagos route, while a popular transport firm, Autostar recently took delivery of some units of the air-conditioned midi version.

It was learnt during the visit of the Ghanaians that a football club, Gabros International, which purchased the midi bus last year, was among the first customers to patronize the Innoson vehicles.

Other members of the Ghanaian delegation were Dr Muta Idrissu from the office of the President; Dr Nichodemus Gabe; Richardson Jonah; Mr. Dawood Muhammed; Ellis Hugh Tamakloe; Ahmed Tahiru; and Kudoto Kobla, a journalist. They were accompanied by a Nigerian, Mr. Tony Ulasi, Innoson Group’s representative in the West African sub-region.

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/motoring/2010/july/30/motoring-07-30-2010-001.htm

Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by asha80(m): 1:21am On Jul 30, 2010
The guy might just jump ship undecided
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by sjeezy8: 1:23am On Jul 30, 2010
might? HE WILL- I WOULD TOO lol
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Onlytruth(m): 1:26am On Jul 30, 2010
That's how we roll folks! Proud of this my brother. Nigeria must not lose this guy. In fact Nigeria should double whatever incentive Ghana is offering. I'm getting tired of those Ghanaians poaching our ideas. First Nollywood. Now this guy.

Inno should stay put. cool
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by asha80(m): 1:31am On Jul 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

That's how we roll folks! Proud of this my brother. Nigeria must not lose this guy. In fact Nigeria should double whatever incentive Ghana is offering. I'm getting tired of those Ghanaians poaching our ideas. First Nollywood. Now this guy.

Nigeria double the incentive with what Light Security

Bros it is not by patriotism.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Nobody: 1:35am On Jul 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

Objective. I think He should leave to Ghana.

It seems to me that Nigeria wont change until they realize the many opportunities that could have been theirs.

And what exactly can Nigeria offer?
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Onlytruth(m): 1:43am On Jul 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

It seems to me that Nigeria wont change until they realize the many opportunities that could have been theirs.

Nigeria can offer money, cold cash! With that he can provide his own electricity and security. You'd be surprised what money can do in the hands of a resourceful man. He has demonstrated his resourcefulness already. All he needs is financial support. All first world countries give financial support to automobile manufacturers. Nigeria can do that.
Assuming jealousy go gree. sad
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Nobody: 1:49am On Jul 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

Nigeria can offer money, cold cash! With that he can provide his own electricity and security. You'd be surprised what money can do in the hands of a resourceful man. He has demonstrated his resourcefulness already. All he needs is financial support. All first world countries give financial support to automobile manufacturers. Nigeria can do that.
Assuming jealousy go gree. sad
True. . . but does Nigeria have the same resources that can make his business more progressive?

Jealousy? On what can benefit everyone? Right. undecided
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Justcash(m): 2:13am On Jul 30, 2010
[b]When the news of IVM was announced, Some Nigerians came here and were announcing how the cars would be death traps, how their parts will be fake etc. To be precise, some outrightly condemned any move by the FG to try to recognise and help IVM to grow. Nigeria is a country where ethnic bigotry and discrimination reigns.
Ghana is clearly taking advantage of the fact that Nigerians are too blind to recognize progress due to the wool pulled over our eyes by ethno-religious division.

IVM should have been treated specially, and their products should have been given utmost attention because they are not just assembled. Many parts of their cars are actually made in Nnewi, Anambra state, Nigeria.
Our FG should have encouraged further R&grin to try to make it a wholly made in Nigeria product. Tax and business incentives should have been offered in a public-private sector collaboration to make their products cheap and affordable for Nigerians.
Ghana has really outgrown Nigeria, even to the extent of playing some economic diplomatic games.
If I was this guy, I will consider moving to Ghana o! The fact alone that he is Igbo is enough to make the heavily ethnic conscious Nigerians from other parts of the Nation to Maliciously want to ignore him at all cost, forgetting that he is actually a Nigerian.
This same guy, along with Ogbuawa made motorcycles cheap in Nigeria. How was he thanked? His products were actually impounded in one of the ports in Lagos, and sold to the highest bidder by the Nigerian customs. Yet he had the patriotism to go ahead with a car production effort.
We will not die! We will survive and make things to happen for ourselves. I am also into the manufacturing of electronics. I prefer to do it abroad than in Nigeria, because my products will be alienated by Nigerians (Cos of my ethnicity). The irony is that the products are like "Hot cakes" in the Nigerian market now because it is foreigners that they see as the owner, and not an Igbo man. Chai! Which way Nigeria [/b]
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Nchara: 4:11am On Jul 30, 2010
Glad that this company is sited in alaigbo. Other Igbo entrepreneurs siting their businesses elsewhere for God-knows-what reasons should take note that goldfish has no hiding place. Meaning if your product is good, they will seek you out even if your company is sited in the depths of the ocean.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Onlytruth(m): 5:08am On Jul 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

True. . .  but does Nigeria have the same resources that can make his business more progressive?

Jealousy? On what can benefit everyone? Right.  undecided

What other resources can Ghana provide apart from land and money? Electricity, or security can be provided with money. I'll tell you what Ghana is up to because I've studied those Ghanaians. They want Innoson to go and build a plant in Ghana, but their actual aim is to steal his ideas. Soon after he settles down, they will start giving him conditions regarding technology transfer to Ghanaians. They'll frustrate him out after they've successfully stolen his ideas. A healthy percentage of parts and components are made in Eastern Nigeria -Enugu and Nnewi. That technical know-how is what the Ghanaians are after.

At times like this, I wish there is an Eastern Nigerian government to help fund this great company. I'm still holding out hope for such a government because Nigeria is too bogged down in primordial encumbrances.

The guy has a lot of ideas and plans on how to deepen auto manufacturing in Nigeria in the long run. The question is this: Will Nigeria embrace him or would they rather keep ignoring him until he relocates?
A lot of good companies left Nigeria that way.

I'm planning one of those unique companies in Eastern Nigeria, but I'm taking it slow. Mine is not into manufacturing though. No rush at all.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Nobody: 5:59am On Jul 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

What other resources can Ghana provide apart from land and money? Electricity, or security can be provided with money. I'll tell you what Ghana is up to because I've studied those Ghanaians. They want Innoson to go and build a plant in Ghana, but their actual aim is to steal his ideas. Soon after he settles down, they will start giving him conditions regarding technology transfer to Ghanaians. They'll frustrate him out after they've successfully stolen his ideas. A healthy percentage of parts and components are made in Eastern Nigeria -Enugu and Nnewi. That technical know-how is what the Ghanaians are after.

At times like this, I wish there is an Eastern Nigerian government to help fund this great company. I'm still holding out hope for such a government because Nigeria is too bogged down in primordial encumbrances.

The guy has a lot of ideas and plans on how to deepen auto manufacturing in Nigeria in the long run. The question is this: Will Nigeria embrace him or would they rather keep ignoring him until he relocates?
A lot of good companies left Nigeria that way.

I'm planning one of those unique companies in Eastern Nigeria, but I'm taking it slow. Mine is not into manufacturing though. No rush at all.

ONLYtruth, always so suspicious of someone lol.

What gave you the idea that those are Ghanaians intentions? are you undermining your own man in decision making and inability to recognize fraud? Anyways, judging by the history between Ghana and Nigeria, your worry is very well understood.

By the way, has any other country/business offered him the same deal? And why is NIgeria not taking action?

Well, goodluck with yours and your idea. I dont doubt your abilities wink
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by oyinda3(f): 6:11am On Jul 30, 2010
maybe the nigerian government will see this as a sign to step up their game and open their eyes to this group.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Eziachi: 6:42am On Jul 30, 2010
I was surprised that the guy wanted to start in Nigeria in the first place, he is not the first and won’t be the last. I can site many instances of our guys ideas which a rotten Nigeria system that judge even business on ethnicity.  How many orders had the governments placed from the company to encourage them?

In a decent country that means business, Innosco sales executives should have been in Uganda with Jonathan as he promote the first indigenous auto company in African and sell it to his other colleagues.
My family business five years ago, built a food factory in Botswana that employs over 280 people after being messed around for years unending by Nigerian bureaucratic nonsense and red tape. We had the Citreon franchise for West/Central Africa but had to take it to DR Congo in 1985 because Nigerian rulers want a cut into what they knew nothing about and my family refused and they started playing politics of import license until we had enough.

Awutollo Group from  Abatete in Anambra state built the biggest plastic plants in Bamenda in Cameroon and Gabon because of the same problem. He is the richest man in Cameroon as we speak but few Cameroonians knew he is Biafran.  He employs over 2000 people in that country alone.
Hezekiah Ugwunze from Oba in Idemilli, had to close his Gordon shoe factory after many years of frustration by Nigeria and their unworkable and unfriendly business environment.  And now you wonder, why we wanted Biafra by all mean, as many of our guys, including my own family businesses will come back with all the jobs they had exported and who can argue the impact it will have on our youths and unemployment.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by GAR3TH(m): 7:15am On Jul 30, 2010
i just checked out there website. . .their vehicles are pretty good. . .it would be great if they started making sedans for the average joe. . .and it would be great if the government started buying Innoson cars and truck, using them for police cars, gov convoys, etc. keeping the money flowing in Nigeria instead of buying ford and Chevy vehicles and spending the money outside Nigeria.

here is their car website : innosonivm.com
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by na2day(m): 7:52am On Jul 30, 2010
Its this kind of people that makes me proud to be a nigerian!
As for the relocation . . .
Yeah, sure, NO!
Ghana has a terrible record as a USE & DUMP COUNTRY.
Let us  give this innooson the publicity he needs, go to GEJ facebook and yell that he should open his eyes, FASHOLA TOO SHOULD DO SOMETHING AND STOP IMPORTING ALL THOSE BUSES FOR BRT FROM BRAZIL & INDIA
what we are looking for in sokoto is inside our sokoto [trouser]
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by philip0906(m): 8:07am On Jul 30, 2010
^^
yell?if u like tear down his fb page. . .it will all fall on deaf hears.They r looking 4 avenues where they can set up meaningless commitees and enrich their pockets and they can only accomplish it by going foreign. . .
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Onlytruth(m): 8:33am On Jul 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

ONLYtruth, always so suspicious of someone lol.

What gave you the idea that those are Ghanaians intentions? are you undermining your own man in decision making and inability to recognize fraud? Anyways, judging by the history between Ghana and Nigeria, your worry is very well understood.

By the way, has any other country/business offered him the same deal? And why is NIgeria not taking action?

Well, goodluck with yours and your idea. I dont doubt your abilities wink

Believe me that is how I stay alive. cool

Lately, I've come to realize that Ghana is trying to outdo Nigeria in every field. They are not even interested in being the best in any field as long as they are better than Nigeria. That is not what would help a Nigerian company located in Ghana. If anything, they'll likely steal the concept; and when they are done, they'll make the owner an offer he cannot refuse: a poison chalice. sad

That is why I want Nigeria to address the national question urgently. We start with free and fair elections next year and go from there.

Did you notice that the chairman of APGA is in the visiting entourage to this Innoson facility? It shows the vision of the party for the East and the rest of Nigeria. Did you see any PDP official within 100 kilometers of this entourage?
Of course NO.

If APGA wins in all the south east next year, we'll likely see more coordinated support for companies like this.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by nastydamus(m): 8:43am On Jul 30, 2010
@ Ileke-idi: after the whole Nollywood-ghallywood saga, I am tempted to believe that whatever ties these Ghananians have or trying to build with Nigerians is meant to be strictly to their own advantage.
I guess all I'm trying to say is that we need to be looking out for our own henceforth. Enough with the tribal and religious bashing already, the world is moving on.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by nastydamus(m): 8:45am On Jul 30, 2010
@ Ileke-idi: after the whole Nollywood-ghallywood saga, I am tempted to believe that whatever ties these Ghananians have or trying to build with Nigerians is meant to be strictly to their own advantage.
I guess all I'm trying to say is that we need to be looking out for our own henceforth. Enough with the tribal and religious bashing already, the world is moving on.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Pharoh: 8:53am On Jul 30, 2010
Nigeria for a long time do not have faith in any indigenous effort, is it because they want a kick-back or what?
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Gbawe: 9:16am On Jul 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

and the next minute you will deny that you are a Nigerian self-hater or that you are not a Ghanaian pretending to be Nigerian when you keep making ignorant and unpratriotic comment !!!

Are you not the same poster who , instead of condemning discrimination as every fair and unbiased adult should do, backed the Ghanaian movie industry's discriminative action by infering that the Nigerians deserves it because their movie industry makes crap movie?

If you are actually Nigerian , then I feel sorry for you because you simply don't know Ghana. Onlytruth is the poster , on this thread, who understand what is on the ground in Ghana. Many Ghanaians , right now , are only interested in appearing better than Nigerians . The mission ,  that has totally consumed most Ghanaians , right now is to use deciet to plagiarise everything Nigerian and then , ultimately, deploy xenophobic practices to humiliate Nigerians and their business concerns.

I can give you 10 example but will use one even you cannot deny stinks of xenophobia.

The Ghanaian Government let Glo bid for and win a telecom Licence after it must surely have analysed Glo's operational strategy which is highly dependent on the erection of telecom mast. What can be behing the ban of the erection of telecom mast after Glo has spent millions (aside from the millions spent on acquiring the licence) on premises , advertising and logistics in an attempt to roll out? Glo's advertising campaign is simply , by far , the best of any telecoms operator in Ghana and even the most xenophobic Ghanaian will admit that.  Virtually all the Ghanaian stars (from the Movie, music industry to football) are utilised. Glo even already sponsors the premium Ghanaian Soccer League !!! Why then was it only Glo's advertising boards and erections that are being damaged in Ghana?

What confirmed that the Ghanaian Government was actually only targeting Nigerians unfairly was what happened next. After Glo complained bitterly and publicly , with threats to follow this with appeals to the right regulators that could fine and sanction Ghana, magically Ghana lifts the ban on the erection of telecom mast just like that !!!!

I bet  (in your mind) Glo , somehow, deserves the treatment it is getting in Ghana despite doing everything far better than others same as some black folks have to be more talented and work far harder than others to thrive in prejudiced environment where untrue stereotypes are bandied around casually.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by asha80(m): 9:22am On Jul 30, 2010
Gbawe:

and the next minute you will deny that you are a Nigerian self-hater or that you are not a Ghanaian pretending to be Nigerian when you keep making ignorant and unpratriotic comment !!!

Are you not the same poster who , instead of condemning discrimination as every fair and unbiased adult should do, backed the Ghanaian movie industry's discriminative action by infering that the Nigerians deserves it because their movie industry makes make crap movie?

If you are actually Nigerian , then I feel sorry for you because you simply don't know Ghana. Onlytruth is the poster , on this thread, who understand what is on the ground in Ghana. Ghanaians , right now , are only interested in appearing better than Nigeria. The mission , that has totally consumed most Ghanaians , right now is to use deciet to plagiarise everything Nigerian , and ultimately deploy xenophobic practices to humiliate Nigerians and their business concerns.

I can give you 10 example but will use one even you cannot deny stinks of xenophobia.

The Ghanaian Government let Glo bid for and win a telecom Licence after it must surely have analysed Glo's operational strategy which is highly dependent on the erection of telecom mast. What can be behing the ban of the erection of telecom mast after Glo has spent millions (aside from the millions spent on acquiring the licence) on premises , advertising and logistics in an attempt to role out? Glos advertising campaign is simply , by far , the best of any telecoms operator in Ghana and even the most xenophobic Ghanaian will admit that. Virtually all the Ghanaian stars (from the Movie, music industry to football) are utilised. Glo even already sponsors the premium Ghanaian Soccer League !!! Why then was it only Glo's advertising boards and erections that are being damaged in Ghana?

What then confirm that the Ghanaian Government was actually only targeting Nigerians unfairly was what happened next. After Glo complained bitterly and publicly , with threats to follow this with appeals to the right regulators that could fine and sanction Ghana, magically Ghana lifts the ban on the erection of telecom mast just like that !!!!

What you said here is true but how do nigerians treat this guy is what we should worry about.This guy needs all the support he can get from fellow nigerians and maybe government but will he get it is another matter all together.

Like Justcash said this is what nigerians came to nairaland to say about him when he came out about this the first time.

When the news of IVM was announced, Some Nigerians came here and were announcing how the cars would be death traps, how their parts will be fake etc. To be precise, some outrightly condemned any move by the FG to try to recognise and help IVM to grow.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Gbawe: 10:09am On Jul 30, 2010
asha 80:

What you said here is true but how do nigerians treat this guy is what we should worry about.This guy needs all the support he can get from fellow nigerians and maybe government but will he get it is another matter all together.

My brother/sister, I totally agree but I must implore you to note , as someone who knows both Nations very well, that we must support ongoing efforts in our Nation because progressive things are happening (even if at slow pace) that means that Nigeria will eventually be , without competition, one of the choice destination for investments in the World in future. Can electricity and security problems not be solved ? Why should any Nigerian encourage a Nigerian company , we should all be proud of, to move away from the most profitable market that happens to be it current location and home because of false hype of others (Ghana) and the unfair demonisation of Nigeria?

Even Hannah Tetteh , Ghana's trade Minster , has admitted that she is not aware of any wholesale relocation of Nigerian businesses to Ghana as is popularly purported !!! See how false hype is perpetrated by some folks (some Ghanaians) who want to pretend to be what they are not and others (some Nigerians) who want to believe the best about others and the worst about themselves witout any investigation of facts ?

Ghana is , with many of its current actions , making things difficult for itself and the evidence of this is already becoming obvious. Beyond the unrealistic hype , the economy in Ghana is not bouyant. There is "no money in the system" and the domestic market in Ghana will not even sustain Innosons operational cost !!! The Nigerian domestic Market , on the other hand , is far bigger than Ghana's and many other West African nations combined !!! Why should innoson go to Ghana just because of electricity when , if Nigerians help the emergence of Leaders who can secure constant electricity within 2 years , Innoson would already be in a far bigger and vastly more profitable market place ?

Would it interest you to know that , in reality , there are only 1.2 million vehicles in Ghana with 60% of that number being in Accra? How many vehicles are in Lagos ? These are the type of fact innoson would be looking at not hype and fantasy from a nation now totally consumed with declaring a covert war on Nigeria.

It might also interest you to know that the Ghanaians have come to understudy Fashola's work in Lagos. They are implementing his BRT scheme in Ghana. Guess what they are calling it ? BRT also !!!! Tomorrow they will claim they pioneered the BRT scheme same as I heard on a Ghanaian talk show that Ghana movie industry mentored and tutored Nollywood to be what it is today  shocked shocked shocked!!!

Besides, below is the section of the article that discloses the real intentions of Ghana:

She disclosed that they were in Nigeria to explore the possibility of not just introducing some of Innoson Group’s products to the Ghanaian market, but also setting up similar auto plant in Ghana.

After that happens Innoson would then be ignored and hounded out with underhand xenophobia as is happening to glo and other Nigerian businesses. The pettyness even extend to the drinking bars where Star beer (Nigerian and previously one of the most pouplar in Ghana) is now more or less totally shunned in preference for Club beer which is Ghanaian . Clubs advertising billboard urges Ghanaians to drink the "truly Ghanaian" beer . Go figure.

Ghana ( Accra in in reality) may be an ideal holiday for Nigerians wanting to get away from the bustle of busy Nigerian Cities but the economic and market realities on the ground , that Nigerian investor quickly find out , is that Ghana is nowhere near Nigeria in profit potentials/returns on investment. Those who understand market economics and dynamics will know what I mean. Just ask MTN that is operating in Ghana and Nigeria !!!!

We should simply focus our efforts on supporting the emergence of progressive and visionary Leaders who will shun corruption and ethnic jingoism to move us forward.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Gbawe: 10:21am On Jul 30, 2010
This is an article about Club beers 'rising' stock in Ghana. I wonder what is the "something" that happened to make Ghanaians adopt Club beer enmasse? Curious also the wonders being seen since Club changed it Logo from "brewed since 1931" to "Truly Ghanaian" .

http://allafrica.com/stories/201002170947.html

But it is the competition between Club and Star that was and continues to be the big one. Star had surged ahead in popularity because a huge section of the market had put it into their heads that it is "lighter" than Club and because it is brewed in Kumasi, had the unwavering support of the Garden City and the Ashanti Region in general.

Club beer was almost a PNG in Kumasi. Club Beer was finding it extremely difficult to break into the tradition of Kotoko, Star Beer, Guinness and Fufu/Omo tuo! For many a loyal Club Beer drinker, especially those visiting from Accra, it was most frustrating indeed to go from one beer bar to the other in Kumasi only to be told that there is no Club! Even in Accra some joints would often not stock Club with the complaint that people don't buy.

Club did not help itself with the rather dull and dour image it cut out for itself. "Brewed since 1931" was ok but it was not being given a modern look for those who wanted to move with the times, Then something happened! Club Beer has all of a sudden become the in-thing! Even in Kumasi and the Ashanti Region! No figures are required here; just by observing the trends at beer bars and other joints, it is quite clear that Club Beer is on the rise.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by asha80(m): 10:31am On Jul 30, 2010
Gbawe:

My brother/sister, I totally agree but I must implore you to note , as someone who knows both Nations very well, that we must support ongoing efforts in our Nation because progressive things are happening (even if at slow pace) that means that Nigeria will eventually be , without competition, one of the choice destination for investments in the World in future. Can electricity and security problems not be solved ? Why should any Nigerian encourage a Nigerian company , we should all be proud of, to move away from the most profitable market that happens to be it current location and home because of false hype of others (Ghana) and the unfair demonisation of Nigeria?

Even Hannah Tetteh , Ghana's trade Minster , has admitted that she is not aware of any wholesale relocation of Nigerian businesses to Ghana as is popularly purported !!! See how false hype is perpetrated by some folks (some Ghanaians) who want to pretend to be what they are not and others (some Nigerians) who want to believe the best about others and the worst about themselves witout any investigation of facts ?

Ghana is , with many of its current actions , making things difficult for itself and the evidence of this is already becoming obvious. Beyond the unrealistic hype , the economy in Ghana is not bouyant. There is "no money in the system" and the domestic market in Ghana will not even sustain Innosons operational cost !!! The Nigerian domestic Market , on the other hand , is far bigger than Ghana's and many other West African nations combined !!! Why should innoson go to Ghana just because of electricity when , if Nigerians help the emergence of Leaders who can secure constant electricity within 2 years , Innoson would already be in a far bigger and vastly more profitable market place ?

Would it interest you to know that , in reality , there are only 1.2 million vehicles in Ghana with 60% of that number being in Accra? How many vehicles are in Lagos ? These are the type of fact innoson would be looking at not hype and fantasy from a nation now totally consumed with declaring a covert war on Nigeria.

It might also interest you to know that the Ghanaians have come to understudy Fashola's work in Lagos. They are implementing his BRT scheme in Ghana. Guess what they are calling it ? BRT also !!!! Tomorrow they will claim they pioneered the BRT scheme same as I heard on a Ghanaian talk show that Ghana movie industry mentored and tutored Nollywood to be what it is today shocked shocked shocked!!!

Besides, below is the section of the article that discloses the real intentions of Ghana:

After that happens Innoson would then be ignored and hounded out with underhand xenophobia as is happening to glo and other Nigerian businesses. The pettyness even extend to the drinking bars where Star beer (Nigerian and previously one of the most pouplar in Ghana) is now more or less totally shunned in preference of Club beer which is Ghanaian . Clubs advertising billboard urges Ghanaians to drink the "Ghanaian" beer . Go figure.

Ghana ( Accra in in reality) may be an ideal holiday for Nigerians wanting to get away from the bustle of busy Nigerian Cities but the economic and market realities on the ground , that Nigerian investor quickly find out , is that Ghana is nowhere near Nigeria in business profit potentials. Those who understand market economics and dynamics will know what I mean. Just ask MTN that is operating in Ghana and Nigeria !!!!

We should simply focus our efforts on supporting the emergence of progressive and visionary Leaders who will shun corruption and ethnic jingoism to move us forward.

Ok i see but you also have to note that if he relocates to ghana it does not mean that his products will only circulate in ghana.This is automoblile not phone services.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Gbawe: 10:55am On Jul 30, 2010
asha 80:

Ok i see but you also have to note that if he relocates to ghana it does not mean that his products will only circulate in ghana.This is automoblile not phone services.

That is precisely the reason why I don't think this move makes sense. It is unlikely Innoson will ignore what it already has on the ground , i.e a vantage position in its biggest single market in Africa ,  to move to a relatively small Market where it will then be faced with the peculiar challenges on the ground in Ghana and cost of exporting most of it vehicle to Nigeria !!!! A subsidiary firm in Ghana may work but not wholesale relocation. Nigeria would be Innosons biggest Market because relatively rich nations like South Africa and Egypt will , for many reasons, initially not be as receptive to Nigerian vehicles as , for example, nations like Senegal and Togo  .

Look at the trends in the vehicle industry Worldwide . The Japanese exported vehicles to Countries like the UK . When the demand from the UK and the European market became big enough some Japanese Car firms established munufacturing subsidiaries in the UK. Before the "demand" became big enough In the UK , Japananese firms naturally satisfied the big demand at home before any thoughts of gaining subsidiaries abroad let alone relocating their firms completely. 

It does not make sense , for many reasons , that Innoson ignores the huge Market it is already in even after we take in the challenges of operating in Nigeria, to relocate to Ghana. Like I have stated before , it is entire fallacy that many businesses are leaving Nigeria to relocate to Ghana. For many business models Nigeria , for all intrinsic challenges, provides a far more profitable Market place natural limitations realistically does not allow Ghana to come close to matching .

1 Like

Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Gbawe: 11:13am On Jul 30, 2010
na2day!:

Ghana has a terrible record as a USE & DUMP COUNTRY.
Let us  give this innooson the publicity he needs, go to GEJ facebook and yell that he should open his eyes, FASHOLA TOO SHOULD DO SOMETHING AND STOP IMPORTING ALL THOSE BUSES FOR BRT FROM BRAZIL & INDIA
what we are looking for in sokoto is inside our sokoto [trouser]

True but Jonathan is not the man to consolidate our efforts . I like your suggestion about bringing this to Fashola's attention and I will try and do this via email.

philip0906:

^^
yell?if u like tear down his fb page. . .it will all fall on deaf hears.They r looking 4 avenues where they can set up meaningless commitees and enrich their pockets and they can only accomplish it by going foreign. . .

True.

Onlytruth:

Believe me that is how I stay alive. cool

Lately, I've come to realize that Ghana is trying to outdo Nigeria in every field. They are not even interested in being the best in any field as long as they are better than Nigeria. That is not what would help a Nigerian company located in Ghana. If anything, they'll likely steal the concept; and when they are done, they'll make the owner an offer he cannot refuse: a poison chalice. sad

That is why I want Nigeria to address the national question urgently. We start with free and fair elections next year and go from there.

Did you notice that the chairman of APGA is in the visiting entourage to this Innoson facility? It shows the vision of the party for the East and the rest of Nigeria. Did you see any PDP official within 100 kilometers of this entourage?
Of course NO.

If APGA wins in all the south east next year, we'll likely see more coordinated support for companies like this.

Indeed.
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by blank(f): 11:37am On Jul 30, 2010
He should go and ask GLOBACOM what happened to them.
Was it not the same Ghana that was promising them heaven n earth only to turn around n make things difficult.
Ghana's plan is just to destroy whatever Nigeria has n not about growth
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by KnowAll(m): 11:48am On Jul 30, 2010

[size=14pt]This is where Obi should stand up and be counted. He won the election, it would be a slight on him and his mentorer Ojukwu,  if a home grown company is allowed to re-locate out of the country. I beleive and insist that both Soludo and Ngige will not let this opportunity slip from their hands.

Having said that, the bus pictured above is much better looking than any of those ugly looking Buses BRT is operationg, I suggest they make their orders henceforth from this company.

What Lagos state Govt needs to do is, buy a few Buses and run them for a while, if they pass the durability test, then I see no reasons why Goverments all over Nigeria should not patronise them after all,  the under the table and under the hand deals which is the bane of our buisness culture  can always be done with Nigerians who are already accustomed to this kind business ethics than with foreigners.[/size]
Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by Gbawe: 11:58am On Jul 30, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]

What Lagos state Govt needs to do is, buy a few Buses and run them for a while, if they pass the durability test, then I see no reasons why Goverments all over Nigeria should not patronise them after all.[/size]

This is how all Nigerians should be thinking and talking rather than encouraging our innovative businesses to move to a terrain many Nigerians , through[b] personal experience[/b], now understand to be hostile, treacherous and anti-Nigerian . Easier for all of us to try and do our bit to make our leaders sit up and do the right thing. Personally , I will be attempting to find out why Lagos State , if it is not already doing so , is not giving this Company serious consideration .

1 Like

Re: Ghana Woos Innoson Auto Plant With Incentives by otondo55: 12:00pm On Jul 30, 2010
You gives another boost to me, Innoson !

Am getting there, naija na our own.

Dont go to Ghana, not for now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Registering A Company In Nigeria (for Your Information) / NIPOST Returned My Missing Packages​..my Nairaland Success Story! / Nigeria, One Of Top 10 Global Economies – US Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.