Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,135 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products (6249 Views)

Breaking: Biafra Files Case Against Nigerian Government 29th Dec. / Don’t Shift Elections Again, UN Tells Nigerian Government / Soyinka Accuses Leaders Of Patronising Marabouts, Prophets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 3:44pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

My response, most of Nigerian economy is informal -- not regulated by government. Any manufacturer can essentially produce goods, get them to the market and start making profits right away. Nothing in our current setting stops that from happening.
Sure we have a corrupt government but we also have an open market that does not hinder manufacturers in any way from pursuing quality to the extent they desire. If you were to tell me that there exists policies in place to HINDER manufacturers developing quality products to rival those imported from such countries as China, western economies etc. then I would say you should show it and if legit, I will concede that government is the problem here. SInce that does not exist, I believe manufacturers are as much to blame for the problem.
We are not where America is right now or even a 100 years ago government wise, but nothing stops us from making the best of what we have on the way to a better future.

How can you blame manufacturers? It is a shared responsibility, in economics we were taught about demand, products, substititute (lower brand) etc all these terms. For a quality product to be manufactured, there has to be demand but look at the supply side first. Look at the factors that affect supply and then tell me govt doesn't play an important role in that at the most important one; Resources (land, labor, capital, etc.). When a govt doesn't supply necessary resources, manufacturers are limited beyond of their capacity. Again the largest factor that depend the output of a quality finished products are resources, the inputs which are raw materials, labor, utilities, liscensing fees, or even other goods. When there is a hitch on here, there would always be a hitch on production period.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Vavavoom(m): 3:48pm On Aug 03, 2010
The annoying thing is we don't even need to innovate, just to copy and improve on what has been! Yet we have scums in leadership who'd rather feed fat from the till that apportion and use right what is meant for quality education. So sad.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 3:53pm On Aug 03, 2010
manny4life:

How can you blame manufacturers? It is a shared responsibility, in economics we were taught about demand, products, substititute (lower brand) etc all these terms.
I have yet to put the blame solely on the manufacturers here.
manny4life:

For a quality product to be manufactured, there has to be demand but look at the supply side first. Look at the factors that affect supply and then tell me govt doesn't play an important role in that at the most important one; Resources (land, labor, capital, etc.). When a govt doesn't supply necessary resources, manufacturers are limited beyond of their capacity. Again the largest factor that depend the output of a quality finished products are resources, the inputs which are raw materials, labor, utilities, liscensing fees, or even other goods. When there is a hitch on here, there would always be a hitch on production period.
See this problem dates back to the 80's -- it didn't just start yesterday. We had some solid Nigerian manufacturers who for some reason decided that rather than reduce production, would instead flood our markets with less quality goods. The result of this was increase in imports, because demand went instead to foreign quality products and away from local. Still many of our producers continued to supply low quality and the before you knew it, even shoes went to the foreign markets.
An example of a good that went that way was rubber shoes. in the early 80's many of the shoes in the market were made in Nigeria, however, as time went on, quality went out the roof and the markets were flooded with low quality shoes. What would you expect consumers to do? Continue purchasing shoes that don't even survive the season? Of course not. And rather than immediately pulling back and learning from the problems. Many of the producers continued to flood the markets. Needless to say, at the end of the day, the market also went to foreign companies.

My point is government sure has been inept but the manufacturers are also to blame for most of the problem in the market. How much do companies, any company, invest in improvement of quality in a year? How much? How much do many of our big companies invest in R&grin. I know, I know, someone is likely to come in to say that it is only government that ought to deal with that but to that I say BULL!  Any serious investor in Nigeria knows that depending on government is probably a waste of time and resources, so why should any company do that?
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 3:55pm On Aug 03, 2010
Vavavoom:

The annoying thing is we don't even need to innovate, just to copy and improve on what has been! Yet we have scums in leadership who'd rather feed fat from the till that apportion and use right what is meant for quality education. So sad.

Well you right to an extent though, I see the problem as the govt have so much power and authority on regulation of interstate and intrastate commerce and most often at time use it as a form of retaliation which isn't supposed to.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by redsun(m): 4:02pm On Aug 03, 2010
Even if you are not an economist,i bet you must know what factors for location of industries means-energy,raw materials,market,accessibility,government policies etc and when you put all these into contest as regards nigerian situation for decades now,do you still blame the manufacturers for not doing well and keeping to standard or the system they find themselves in?

It might not be in paper that nigerian government is discouraging manufactures from performing but in practice as always,it is quite glaring that what is setting all spheres of nigerian life back is the leadership.

Kobojunkie:

My response, most of Nigerian economy is informal -- not regulated by government. Any manufacturer can essentially produce goods, get them to the market and start making profits right away. Nothing in our current setting stops that from happening.
Sure we have a corrupt government but we also have an open market that does not hinder manufacturers in any way from pursuing quality to the extent they desire.  If you were to tell me that there exists policies in place to HINDER manufacturers developing quality products to rival those imported from such countries as China, western economies etc. then I would say you should show it and if legit, I will concede that government is the problem here. SInce that does not exist, I believe manufacturers are as much to blame for the problem.  
We are not where America is right now or even a 100 years ago government wise, but nothing stops us from making the best of what we have on the way to a better future.

Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On Aug 03, 2010
redsun:

Even if you are not an economist,i bet you must know what factors for location of industries means-energy,raw materials,market,accessibility,government policies etc and when you put all these into contest as regards nigerian situation for decades now,do you still blame the manufacturers for not doing well and keeping to standard or the system they find themselves in?
Location of industries? Dude, we are speaking of Nigeria where were zoning laws are barely implemented. I grew up with at least 2 factories right next to our homes. These companies both had huge markets and accessibility(they were right in Lagos) Both were big employers yet over the years the quality of goods produce fell ridiculously.
What part do you think Government played in this? Government called them up and asked them to stop producing quality products for consumption?

redsun:

It might not be in paper that nigerian government is discouraging manufactures from performing but in practice as always,it is quite glaring that what is setting all spheres of nigerian life back is the leadership.
I know to the extent the Nigerian government can and has gone in that BUT that does not remove from the fact that our manufacturers share the bulk of the blame in all this. How many of them are united enough to pressure government to change things?
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 4:07pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I have yet to put the blame solely on the manufacturers here. See this problem dates back to the 80's -- it didn't just start yesterday. We had some solid Nigerian manufacturers who for some reason decided that rather than reduce production, would instead flood our markets with less quality goods. The result of this was increase in imports, because demand went instead to foreign quality products and away from local. Still many of our producers continued to supply low quality and the before you knew it, even shoes went to the foreign markets.
An example of a good that went that way was rubber shoes. in the early 80's many of the shoes in the market were made in Nigeria, however, as time went on, quality went out the roof and the markets were flooded with low quality shoes. What would you expect consumers to do? Continue purchasing shoes that don't even survive the season? Of course not. And rather than immediately pulling back and learning from the problems. Many of the producers continued to flood the markets. Needless to say, at the end of the day, the market also went to foreign companies.
My point is government sure has been inept but the manufacturers are also to blame for most of the problem in the market. How much do companies, any company, invest in improvement of quality in a year? How much? How much do many of our big companies invest in R&grin. I know, I know, someone is likely to come in to say that it is only government that ought to deal with that but to that I say BULL!  Any serious investor in Nigeria knows that depending on government is probably a waste of time and resources, so why should any company do that?

That brings me on to my second point in supply which is technology availability. As a Nigerian company, would you rather utilize the tech within Nigeria or import it? If you would, at what cost, and if you wouldn't at what cost also? Even in the U.S., different state govts subsidize R&grin cost for major companies that I can begin to tell you all their names from Defense giants, to Chemical, to Pharmaceuticals, etc. You raised an important topic in finance and economic about investors and foreign companies and I'm glad you raised it. A company has three types of operations; Financing, investing and operating and each they would access their risk if its worth it. Back to my first point about resources, there is no way an investor would shell out for instance $20million for licensing fees to start out a company, now that's a barrier accept it or not. Nigeria in turn has so many import rules that unless you bribe your way out, its not working. No company can operate under this conditions, first the govt provides all the
resources, then govt encourages investors thru different investing prospects and activities assuring them less risk. In all govt policies are factor no 1 to resources and then you have inputs etc.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Vavavoom(m): 4:10pm On Aug 03, 2010
Even the regulators of perceived standardsson & daughters grin are hungry and look the other way for products whose quality we can meet! I mean have u guys tasted cabin biscuit of late?
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 4:13pm On Aug 03, 2010
Vavavoom:

Even the regulators of perceived standardsson & daughters grin are hungry and look the other way for products whose quality we can meet! I mean have u guys tasted cabin biscuit of late?
It tastes like Cardboard in Nigeria . . . same goes for Wallis Icecream, Uncle Soyo, Milo, etc. However, if you purchase the foreign versions of some of these products, you will immediately taste the difference
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 4:13pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Location of industries? Dude, we are speaking of Nigeria where were zoning laws are barely implemented. I grew up with at least 2 factories right next to our homes. These companies both had huge markets and accessibility(they were right in Lagos) Both were big employers yet over the years the quality of goods produce fell ridiculously.
What part do you think Government played in this? Government called them up and asked them to stop producing quality products for consumption?
I know to the extent the Nigerian government can and has gone in that BUT that does not remove from the fact that our manufacturers share the bulk of the blame in all this. How many of them are united enough to pressure government to change things?

The govt doesn't have to call them obviously and tell them to stop, but stringent laws and policies, poor resources, lack of human capital can definitely shrink market size and even make them defunct. You are in the U.S., you see how much tax credit goes to Small Business Owners, I don't share that idea that "bulk" of the blame is manufacturers. Manufacturers are operating under the laws of demand and supply.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 4:15pm On Aug 03, 2010
manny4life:

The govt doesn't have to call them obviously and tell them to stop, but stringent laws and policies, poor resources, lack of human capital can definitely shrink market size and even make them defunct. You are in the U.S., you see how much tax credit goes to Small Business Owners, I don't share that idea that "bulk" of the blame is manufacturers. Manufacturers are operating under the laws of demand and supply.
But supply sometimes gives rise to demand. What I see in the US is no different. For decades the green industry has remained a significantly small part of the economy out here, however, improvements to quality of goods have happened over the same period. Only recently has the green industry recieved a major boost in demand, and still R & D continues.

If only 1000 people purchase goods from me today, I should still work on improving quality for that 1000. Not wait until all 150 million Nigerians patronize my goods though.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 4:17pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

It tastes like Cardboard in Nigeria . . .  same goes for Wallis Icecream, Uncle Soyo, Milo, etc. However, if you purchase the foreign versions of some of these products, you will immediately taste the difference

So give me one reason why people would not keep importing foreign products? If the market is there, local manufacturers start out small but they would always need help even when they expand. If our govt is not encouraging local producers, we are not gonna produce. Govt give family credit when they purchase like energy star products, even more when made in the U.S., that way it would spur spending on the local side. No one can cheat the laws of economics, if u bypass them, you will end up coming back to them.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2010
manny4life:

So give me one reason why people would not keep importing foreign products? If the market is there, local manufacturers start out small but they would always need help even when they expand. If our govt is not encouraging local producers, we are not gonna produce. Govt give family credit when they purchase like energy star products, even more when made in the U.S., that way it would spur spending on the local side. No one can cheat the laws of economics, if u bypass them, you will end up coming back to them.
Sorry, please consider reality of things .
It was never really that the market for cabin biscuits was not there. Back when I was a kid, Cabin business was essentially a staple in the boarding students prospectus. . . you packed cabin biscuits. Parties had cabin biscuits offered. There was the demand. Only with time, quality fell and so people were forced to opt for the foreign alternatives. It was never really the case that the demand did not exist. It was more the case that quality fell and forced consumers to find better alternatives.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 4:22pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But supply sometimes gives rise to demand. What I see in the US is no different. For decades the green industry has remained a significantly small part of the economy out here, however, improvements to quality of goods have happened over the same period. Only recently has the green industry recieved a major boost in demand, and still R & D continues.

If only 1000 people purchase goods from me today, I should still work on improving quality for that 1000. Not wait until all 150 million Nigerians patronize my goods though.

Exactly there goes my third point; price of substitute products. I'm sure you understand this one. If you produce 1000 quality and your competitor produces less quality, how likely are you to stay in the business, continue producing to be able to expand and reach 10,000? Now the govt can issue you a huge tax credit, breaks subsidies to bring you up to that 10,000 limit otherwise you're stuck on 1,000 meanwhile your substitute is making money. This is a classic of Wal-Mart and Target. Check out the two and then tell me.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Vavavoom(m): 4:24pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

It tastes like Cardboard in Nigeria . . . same goes for Wallis Icecream, Uncle Soyo, Milo, etc. However, if you purchase the foreign versions of some of these products, you will immediately taste the difference

I think brand identity should count for something, abi na only profiteering we go dey do here? Everyone finds it convenient to blame the government on every thing but fail to take responsibility for what's under them. Quality shouldn't shrink and must not be compromised otherwise patronage realistically will go south as well. Nevertheless, government has a role in offering tax breaks to companies that strive to keep quality going even in difficult times. Where's is the balance?
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 4:26pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Sorry, please consider reality of things .
It was never really that the market for cabin biscuits was not there. Back when I was a kid, Cabin business was essentially a staple in the boarding students prospectus. . .  you packed cabin biscuits. Parties had cabin biscuits offered. There was the demand. Only with time, quality fell and so people were forced to opt for the foreign alternatives. It was never really the case that the demand did not exist. It was more the case that quality fell and forced consumers to find better alternatives.

Now the good question is determining why quality fell. Quality of a products reduces for a good number of reason particularly finances, policies etc. If you know why quality fell, then we can start from there. Quality of products reduce because the company is trying to save money, less human capital which would cost if they hire consultants or even import it, I mean many companies fail due to that they did not manage their demand market appropriately. It could have been for a ton of reasons.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2010
manny4life:

Exactly there goes my third point; price of substitute products. I'm sure you understand this one. If you produce 1000 quality and your competitor produces less quality, how likely are you to stay in the business, continue producing to be able to expand and reach 10,000?
What? If your business caters to the section of people who prefer quality over quantity, you are likely to stay in business for a long long time. Possibly outlast your counterpart who produces rubbish and has to compete with all the other rubbish out there.(rubbish is easier to create).

manny4life:

Now the govt can issue you a huge tax credit, breaks subsidies to bring you up to that 10,000 limit otherwise you're stuck on 1,000 meanwhile your substitute is making money. This is a classic of Wal-Mart and Target. Check out the two and then tell me.
Are you somehow suggesting one of these stores offers people less quality products while the other provides higher quality?
Both stores have their share of the market. granted Wal-Mart seems to have a larger share but that does not mean Target does not have its own loyals. I personally would rather shop Target than Wal-Mart because I appreciate quality these days over quantity, and I am certain Target makes money from me and my household.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

i remeber this once, i drank mirinda my mum had brought from saudi arabia. two weeks later, i was in school . i reached for a mirinda. . . and spat it out after the first sip. it tasted like p-iss is all i can say.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 4:30pm On Aug 03, 2010
Vavavoom:

I think brand identity should count for something, abi na only profiteering we go dey do here? Everyone finds it convenient to blame the government on every thing but fail to take responsibility for what's under them. Quality shouldn't shrink and must not be compromised otherwise patronage realistically will go south as well. Nevertheless, government has a role in offering tax breaks to companies that strive to keep quality going even in difficult times. Where's is the balance?

I am with you 100%. Cabin biscuit used to have a huge share of the market but it messed up and paid for it. Apparently, it has yet to learn. Why blame the government for that?  

If you cannot produce quality, then you probably ought not to be in the manufacturing business at all.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am with you 100%. Cabin biscuit used to have a huge share of the market but it messed up and paid for it. Apparently, it has yet to learn. Why blame the government for that?

If you cannot produce quality, then you probably ought not to be in the manufacturing business at all.

same applies to omo, flash and a lot of other detergents from when i was in school - for years omo marketed what could best be called industrial detergent best for force fading jeans as a generic detergent for laundry. it was the advent of klin that started theior decline. now with ariel they are doing ridiculous agidi to regain theri marke share - anyone seen their segun arinze copycat ad?

as for soft drinks - in nigeri coca cola and pepsi dont fight over the market - they share it. if coke raise the price by n5, within a month of so, pepsi follows suit - quality remains the same.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 4:40pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What? If your business caters to the section of people who prefer quality over quantity, you are likely to stay in business for a long long time. Possibly outlast your counterpart who produces rubbish and has to compete with all the other rubbish out there.(rubbish is easier to create).

Are you somehow suggesting one of these stores offers people less quality products while the other provides higher quality?
Both stores have their share of the market. granted Wal-Mart seems to have a larger share but that does not mean Target does not have its own loyals. I personally would rather shop Target than Wal-Mart because I appreciate quality these days over quantity, and I am certain Target makes money from me and my household.

So at what cost does it cost you to cater quality all by yourself without help? That should be a very good question. Look I stand for quality products, but quality products would not survive if our govt be it county, local, state, or federal govt does participate in our process. Our defense giants like Boeing and Lockheed etc have grants, subsidies from the U.S. govt. Large Pharms have subsidies even though they spend about half a billion for R&grin, even services industries, like Banks, airlines, metro rail, (Amtrak got $8billion for repairs and new rail), even my own metro I take every day Washigton Metropolitan Transit Authority (WMATA) get huge chunks in billions from both federal govts and state govts of MD, DC and VA. If your govt doesn't subsidize you even at your local setting, you won't be in business for too long. Even the high classed brand names you hear, you know how much lobbying they do?

Yes as for Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart offers mostly made in China, because they cary less quality products and they have or control a good chunk of the big-box retailers market. Wal-Mart is the largest trading company, and because of their model, Target who is following behind, Wal-Mart is worth more than 5x than Target. Now I know of certain that Target get huge tax breaks from city and state govts becaause they offer quality products, involed in the community as a result unlike Wal-Mart that most cities like D.C. have turned them down so many times.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 4:41pm On Aug 03, 2010
oyb:

same applies to omo, flash and a lot of other detergents from when i was in school - for years omo marketed what could best be called industrial detergent best for force fading jeans as a generic detergent for laundry. it was the advent of klin that started theior decline. now with ariel they are doing ridiculous agidi to regain theri marke share - anyone seen their segun arinze copycat ad?
You dey mind them? Silly companies sacrificed quality for profit and what happened? People moved on to purchase more reliable, in most cases, more expensive alternatives. Foreign products are not necessarily cheaper than Nigerian made but people purchase them to save themselves headache of purchasing CRAP. So, why are the local manufacturers not to blame for choosing to sacrifice quality to make more bucks, only to lose most of their customers. And many still do not see where they went wrong and what they need to do to get back the people.

oyb:

as for soft drinks - in nigeri coca cola and pepsi dont fight over the market - they share it. if coke raise the price by n5, within a month of so, pepsi follows suit - quality remains the same.
Abi oo!!
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 4:48pm On Aug 03, 2010
hey quality is good, but I would rather prefer the substitute than the brand. Quality of products depends on manufacturers and it comes with a huge cost, cost that has to be offset some how to make profit. However the cost is to be offset depends and varies on different industries and localities. In my own opinion, one of the reasons why economic developed countries have succeed in producing quality products because someone shares the burden of the cost somehow.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 4:49pm On Aug 03, 2010
manny4life:

So at what cost does it cost you to cater quality all by yourself without help? That should be a very good question. Look I stand for quality products, but quality products would not survive if our govt be it county, local, state, or federal govt does participate in our process. Our defense giants like Boeing and Lockheed etc have grants, subsidies from the U.S. govt. Large Pharms have subsidies even though they spend about half a billion for R&grin, even services industries, like Banks, airlines, metro rail, (Amtrak got $8billion for repairs and new rail), even my own metro I take every day Washigton Metropolitan Transit Authority (WMATA) get huge chunks in billions from both federal govts and state govts of MD, DC and VA. If your govt doesn't subsidize you even at your local setting, you won't be in business for too long. Even the high classed brand names you hear, you know how much lobbying they do?
Not all companies, especially Nigerian companies need to invest so much into R & D. These days most of the information is available online for free and all they need to do is copy and paste.  What irks me even more is most of these companies already had quality in place before choosing to trade it in for profits. So, I am sorry if I am not out there shouting government ought to establish and insert more money into  R & D.

manny4life:

Yes as for Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart offers mostly made in China, because they cary less quality products and they have or control a good chunk of the big-box retailers market. Wal-Mart is the largest trading company, and because of their model, Target who is following behind, Wal-Mart is worth more than 5x than Target. Now I know of certain that Target get huge tax breaks from city and state govts because they offer quality products, involved in the community as a result unlike Wal-Mart that most cities like D.C. have turned them down so many times.
I know Target donates so much to community development so tax breaks make a lot of sense cause of this, but I did not know that Target also gets huge tax breaks simply because it offers quality goods? WOW  . . .  never heard of such.
Does Target need to aspire to be Wal-Mart in some way? Should Target lower quality of goods so it can make more money, as much as Wal-Mart? Again, Wal-Mart has its share of the market and so does Target. Stores like Kmart etc also have their own share. And most all these companies, even Wal-Mart has had to improve on quality over the years.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by chelseabmw(m): 4:57pm On Aug 03, 2010
angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 5:02pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Not all companies, especially Nigerian companies need to invest so much into R & D. These days most of the information is available online for free and all they need to do is copy and paste.  What irks me even more is most of these companies already had quality in place before choosing to trade it in for profits. So, I am sorry if I am not out there shouting government ought to establish and insert more money into  R & D.
I know Target donates so much to community development so tax breaks make a lot of sense cause of this, but I did not know that Target also gets huge tax breaks simply because it offers quality goods? WOW  . . .  never heard of such.
Does Target need to aspire to be Wal-Mart in some way? Should Target lower quality of goods so it can make more money, as much as Wal-Mart? Again, Wal-Mart has its share of the market and so does Target. Stores like Kmart etc also have their own share. And most all these companies, even Wal-Mart has had to improve on quality over the years.

There is no need to WOW because there's a lot of difference,  If I can walk into Target who is buying from the small local manufacturer down the street that is Made in U.S., it's quality although it comes for a price and I'm Target, don't you think I should get compensated for that? As compared to Wal-Mart who buys less quality products, when they patronize local manufacturers, they want to get it on the pennies, who do you your state govt is likely to grant tax credits and subsidies to? One who buys at that cost to help out locals or the one wants to buy at pennies and yet sell them at pennies. You get the point, directly or indirectly they get compensated.

No doubt Wal-Mart increased their quality because it was all made in China anyways, rather you would say over the years, the U.S. have tighten certain laws on certain products like food, the USDA has rolled out tougher restriction and since Wal-Mart is the largest buyer from China, they are forced to comply not because they wanted too. Target has their marke, so does Wal-Mart, but in general terms who's winning? I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart's activities, but its clear based upon revenues and profit margins who's winning. Market share depends on your consumer count and sales, and if Wal-Mart is leading by good double digits in that retail industry, I mean hey that's how they like it.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 5:03pm On Aug 03, 2010
BUt Walmart also purchases some of it's goods . . . especially groceries from local vendors.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by manny4life(m): 5:10pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

BUt Walmart also purchases some of it's goods . . . especially groceries from local vendors.

Obviously on the pennies, and most don't reason why most local vendors don't like doing business with Wal-Mart, they rather with Target, CVS etc and local mom and pop stores. For instance, walk into the grocery line in your local Wal-Mart store, check out the milk and dairy section, and then walk into CVS, Target, Rite Aid, 7-Eleven etc, there's at least a 70% or more possibility that the dairy products in all these store are the same as compared to when u walk in to Wal-Mart.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by redsun(m): 5:14pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You failed to realize the importance of location of industry by comparing it with criminally conscripted zoning law.The factors for location of industries are the life lines of any industry,without these factors coming together in favour of an industry or enterprise not even Bill Gate can manage it successfully,he can only manage it for so long but at the end of the day,natural economic laws will take effect,it is like someone trying to stay alive without breathing.

Governments in nigeria propagates corruption,side cutting and dubiousness which everybody naturally flow with,including manufacturer.Until we have a good government,we can never have a good economy
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 5:16pm On Aug 03, 2010
redsun:

You failed to realize the importance of location of industry by comparing it with criminally conscripted zoning law.The factors for location of industries are the life lines of any industry,without these factors coming together in favour of an industry or enterprise not even Bill Gate can manage it successfully,he can only manage it for so long but at the end of the day,natural economic laws will take effect,it is like someone trying to stay alive without breathing.

Governments in nigeria propagates corruption,side cutting and dubiousness which everybody naturally flow with,including manufacturer.Until we have a good government,we can never have a good economy

Rather than continuing to compare with western standards . . . why not consider the true reality of the situation in NIgeria. Location does not affect quality in anyway. Even folks in teh west who cook or put together their products right in their own kitchens do not sacrifice quality as a result of location, They make it work.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by redsun(m): 5:29pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Rather than continuing to compare with western standards . . . why not consider the true reality of the situation in NIgeria. Location does not affect quality in anyway. Even folks in teh west who cook or put together their products right in their own kitchens do not sacrifice quality as a result of location, They make it work.

The true reality of the situation is for us to understand and get it right fundamentally.If we must have industries we must understand what it takes to run industries and if we must opt for qualities,we must understand what it takes to have qualities.Quality is a gradual process that starts with fake or rather inferior but with time,it shapes up with persistence,support,trial and error.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Okijajuju1(m): 8:34pm On Aug 03, 2010
@ Cold

Please be careful with the statements you make to me. I abhor disrespect from anyone, especially those who dont know me. This is a public forum, we could be civil with our arguements. Insults dont make you appear as intelligent.

@ Topic

It's good that everyone seems pretty excited about patronizing made in Nigeria vehicles and all.

Like I said, this isnt the time for blind patrotism, if these made in Nigeria vehicles will break down after 6months and all tax payers money would be lost, I say NO! this is nothing but penny wise pound foolish. In that same light, if these cars have been put under an extended warranty and service contract with the manufacturers, with a guarantee that those vehicles will be of good service for a specified number of years, then by all means buy them.

All I'm saying is I'll hate to see us lose our money over blind patrotism. If Nigerians goods can match up in standard and qulity with the European and Asia goods, then sure, we will take them.

redsun:

The true reality of the situation is for us to understand and get it right fundamentally.If we must have industries we must understand what it takes to run industries and if we must opt for qualities,we must understand what it takes to have qualities.Quality is a gradual process that starts with fake or rather inferior but with time,it shapes up with persistence,support,trial and error.

And these trials and errors would be done at the expense of tax-payers monies?? I really dont like the sound of that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Falls Sick Again, Secretely Flown Abroad Yesterday Midnight / Why I Want President Buhari Dead- Femi Fani Kayode / See What The Gun Men That Attack Owerri Prison Told Prisoners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.