Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,578 members, 7,770,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:19 AM

Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products (6225 Views)

Breaking: Biafra Files Case Against Nigerian Government 29th Dec. / Don’t Shift Elections Again, UN Tells Nigerian Government / Soyinka Accuses Leaders Of Patronising Marabouts, Prophets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Igwe12: 3:32am On Aug 03, 2010
This what we need in Nigeria. If all states did this and all nigerians patronized and are proud of Nigerian products, we should be on our way to accelerated development.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18776:enugu-to-partner-local-firms-on-transportation&catid=31:business&Itemid=562

Enugu to partner local firms on transportation .
Tuesday, 03 August 2010 00:00 By Leo Sobechi, Abakaliki Business Services - Business News   .User Rating: / 0
PoorBest
IN its continuous efforts to improve the state capital through the urban facelift programme, [b]Enugu State government says it would partner with local automobile plants to rejig its intra-city transportation adding that given the accelerated tempo of political activities leading to the electoral campaigns for the 2011 general elections, it anticipates challenges from commuters and mass transit operators in the city.[/b]Commissioner for Enugu Capital Territory, John Egbo, who dropped the hint in his remarks during a seminar/workshop organised by the state Ministry of Transport, stated that Governor Sullivan Iheanacho Chime has also initiated actions to ensure that there was less carbon emissions in the capital city through the introduction of mono-rail transport system pointing out that a Canadian company has already completed studies for the project.
Egbo, who currently oversees the Ministry of Transport after the removal of the Commissioner, Luke Mmamel, disclosed that having discovered the inadequacy of the twenty luxury shuttle buses for commuting within the metropolis, the governor has directed that additional 30 such vehicles be sourced from Innoson Technical Company to take care of passengers adding that already his ministry has placed orders for the luxury buses. On the menace of commercial motorcycle operators in the metropolis, Egbo disclosed that enforcement of the ban on motorcycles from plying dual carriage ways in Enugu would be strengthened in the days to come adding that as a security measure all those, who wish to continue doing business in the capital city would be made to get special identification numbers boldly inscribed on the fuel tanks of their motorcycles, as well as, having a colour-coded area-identification vests and surety by two well known referees.
“As we approach the election year, it is anticipated that commercial motorcycles could be used to facilitate criminal activities in the capital city. Therefore, we want to ensure that okada operators are not allowed on the dual carriage way and at the same time ensure an effective system of tracking down those who flout the ban.
“In the coming week we would ensure that all commercial motorcycles are registered and special identification numbers assigned to them with area-specific colour codes,” Egbo declared.
He stressed that the state government was also interested in ensuring the environmental purity of the capital city pointing out that “to that effect, government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Globin Company of Canada for the construction of a mono-rail in Enugu,” explaining that since the traffic studies the company conducted turned out favourable, the company was expected to finalise the further analysis it was conducting to commence project execution.
In their different papers at the seminar, the GOC, 82 Division of Nigeria Army, and the Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission, spoke of the imperatives of improving safety on roads, as well as, the need for traffic rules so as to reduce road traffic accidents in the city.
Earlier the Chairman of the occasion and Managing Director of Innoson Group of Companies, Innocent Chukwuma commended the organisers of the workshop pointing out that stakeholders in the transport sector should always be incorporated in every effort to improve the transport situation in the country pledging that his company would always do its best to support government programmes and policies.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Justcash(m): 3:54am On Aug 03, 2010
"Enugu state government patronizing made in Nigeria Buses," Would have been a more suitable and catchy title.

This is a step in the right direction. Worth applauding! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by snowdrops(m): 7:20am On Aug 03, 2010
All Nigerian politicians should be forced to patronise the Nigerian health system. No more traveling overseas for headaches etc. Thats the only way that there can be real improvement in the health sector.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by SamMilla1(m): 12:19pm On Aug 03, 2010
Enugu state seems to be the only government in Nigeria that is doing what Governments should be doing.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Okijajuju1(m): 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2010
What shall it profit a government to buy made in Nigeria goods with multi-billion Naira of Tax payers money that would not last a year??

We should have grown beyond patroninzing home made to gettin good long lasting stuff.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by KnowAll(m): 12:27pm On Aug 03, 2010
Enugu state government patronizing made in Nigeria Buses," Would have been a more suitable and catchy title

The title should be as printed above.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by cold(m): 12:46pm On Aug 03, 2010
Okija_juju:

What shall it profit a government to buy made in Nigeria goods with multi-billion Naira of Tax payers money that would not last a year??

We should have grown beyond patroninzing home made to gettin good long lasting stuff.
And your point is-'buy foriegn products'.Does that sound like progress to you?When the indians started manufacturing automobiles,some of the cars were literally pushed by hand off the manufacturing lines.By the same token,they still stick to their farshi pajamas any where in the world.Are u so confused blinded that you can't see the wood for the trees?
We all keep crying for change,change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time.We are the ones we've been waiting for,we are the change that we seek
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by GurusForum: 1:11pm On Aug 03, 2010
That's my Governor doing his thing.

I think we should all be voting for Lawyers
or Legal practitioners as political office
holders in Nigeria.

Look at Lagos and Enugu, they are the best
performing Governors in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Redman44(m): 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2010
This is good news cheesy cheesy  We need to support our manufacturers in Nigeria. Over the years, I've observed that there are many Nigerian companies and firms that are making products that Nigerians can use. However, they are cast aside by the populace who go for foreign goods. What the FG should be working on is to encourage Nigerian entrepreneurs and companies by solving the Energy Problem quickly. This will cut down the costs of the manufacturing process in Nigeria. Money that is being used to fuel generators will now be plunged back into the business. In the long run, it is the Nigerian Government that stands to benefit a lot by collecting taxes. When a company has more income at its disposal, it would be willing to pay the right amount of taxes. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 1:19pm On Aug 03, 2010
I think it is great that government is once again making the choice to patronize Nigerian goods but I do have to ask how the past partnerships have worked out. About a couple of years ago(about 2), Enugu government, I believe partnered with Zenox computers to use their products on major products. How did that work out? Are all the computers working fine or what?
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by cold(m): 1:22pm On Aug 03, 2010
^^^ the crux of the matter is not the longevity of the products but the poor maintenance culture inherent in the country.Everything breaks down,eventually.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 1:25pm On Aug 03, 2010
cold:

^^^ the crux of the matter is not the longevity of the products but the poor maintenance culture inherent in the country.Everything breaks down,eventually.

That things break down is NO REASON for anyone to want to settle for low quality goods or service, wasting money, in this case the people's money, in the process. So, my question is how did that partnership work? Was it the usual  "we bought it, it crapped . . . everything breaks down so we will continue to settle for what we know or believe may be of low quality"? Or was it "we bought it, it worked and we got our money's worth at the end of the day"? Which is it?
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by redsun(m): 1:27pm On Aug 03, 2010
The greatest problem of cars in nigeria are the death trap roads not where they are made.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by cold(m): 1:33pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That things break down is NO REASON for anyone to want to settle for low quality goods or service, wasting money, in this case the people's money, in the process. So, my question is how did that partnership work? Was it the usual  "we bought it, it crapped . . . everything breaks down so we will continue to settle for what we know or believe may be of low quality"? Or was it "we bought it, it worked and we got our money's worth at the end of the day"? Which is it?
You missed my point by a mile.The point is even if they travel to Germany to acquire Mercedes Benz products,without regular maintenance,these products will eventually pack up.Besides there's no proof the products are below par.This is just the same rethoric,that everything made in Nigeria must be below standard and even if they are,i still recommend they buy them,How did the so called asian tigers got to where they are today?

As per your question on the Zenon thing,i dont know how it panned out,eventually
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 1:38pm On Aug 03, 2010
cold:

You missed my point by a mile. The point is even if they travel to Germany to acquire Mercedes Benz products,without regular maintenance,these products will eventually pack up. Besides there's no proof the products are below par. This is just the same rethoric,that everything made in Nigeria must be below standard and even if they are,i still recommend they buy them,How did the so called asian tigers got to where they are today?
Bull! Not all product issues are to be blamed on maintenance . . please READ and understand the post before responding.

If you bought a low quality TV from a Chinese manufacturer, no amount of maintenance will make it a better TV, so please cut the bull and move on!

Kobojunkie:

That things break down is NO REASON for anyone to want to settle for low quality goods or service, wasting money, in this case the people's money, in the process. So, my question is how did that partnership work? Was it the usual "we bought it, it crapped . . . everything breaks down so we will continue to settle for what we know or believe may be of low quality"? Or was it "we bought it, it worked and we got our money's worth at the end of the day"? Which is it?
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by redsun(m): 1:49pm On Aug 03, 2010
Rome was not built in a day junkie,we can only improve our products by patronizing them sacrificially.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by cold(m): 1:52pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Bull! Not all product issues are to be blamed on maintenance  . .  please READ and understand the post before responding.

If you bought a low quality TV from a Chinese manufacturer, no amount of maintenance will make it a better TV, so please cut the bull and move on!

This is just another of your directionless arguments.Who said all product issues should be blamed on maintenance.I only reiterated the fact that maintenance issues have  always been the bane of the Nigerian society.Same China you quoted have become technically the 2nd largest economy in the world with their substandard products,while we continue to put down ours cuz we bliv we can neva get it right.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 1:57pm On Aug 03, 2010
Yes, rather than urging improvement in quality of goods and service which has remained the problem with MADE IN NIGERIA goods for, I don't know, well over 3 decades, we should continue to waste our money to make these companies rich for producing crap while we could have extended the value of our naira and reducing cost by producing higher quality and longer lasting goods and services?  WOW . . you better not give that idea away for free .  . . 

Any wonder why China continues to flood our markets with crap while the same China does it's best to ensure only the best enters the US as they know it will likely cost them if they do not? South Africa is one country that has not only increased it's local market but also quality in the same process and we may need to look there for how it is done rather than urging for more blind patronizing of goods that we are unable to verify are worth the investment. We already have examples of states option for foreign contractors rather than local contractors. Not that there are no local contractors willing to get these contracts but these states have realized that the cost is significantly higher to the state to higher local low quality contractors than their foreign counterparts.

cold:

This is just another of your directionless arguments.Who said all product issues should be blamed on maintenance.I only reiterated the fact that maintenance issues have  always been the bane of the Nigerian society.Same China you quoted have become technically the 2nd largest economy in the world with their substandard products,while we continue to put down ours cuz we bliv we can neva get it right.

But I never made the claim either nor did I ask for that albeit useless bit of information from you. Again, if you do not understand the point to a post, it is ok not to respond. Injecting some useless bit of info, unrelated and unnecessary does not help your case. And this not another US vs THEM debate as anyone reading would easily grasp the point of my discussion.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by asha80(m): 2:02pm On Aug 03, 2010
Okija_juju:

While you have already made up your mind that that the 'product is not long lasting' another country is itching to lure that product out of your country

Ghana Woos Innoson Motors

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-487936.0.html
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by cold(m): 2:11pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But I never made the claim either nor did I ask for that albeit useless bit of information from you. Again, if you do not understand the point to a post, it is ok not to respond. Inject some useless bit of info, unrelated and unnecessary does not help your case. And this not another US vs THEM debate as anyone reading would easily grasp the point I am getting at here by now.
And what exactly is your point from all the rambling you've just typed?How can you prove that 'this is just another typical made in Nigeria product'.The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.And nothin in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and a concientious st*upidity.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 2:16pm On Aug 03, 2010
cold:

And what exactly is your point from all the rambling you've just typed?How can you prove that 'this is just another typical made in Nigeria product'.The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.And nothin in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and a concientious st*upidity.

I knew it . . . once you hit something you are willing to attach sentiments too, all common sense goes out the door. And you sincerely believe you are not the ignorant one here . . Nevermind I have NOT even posted that these specific product or any others are low quality,nor have I posited that all made in Nigeria goods are not worth it, you have however chosen to turn this into THOSE WHO HAVE AN OPINION DIFFERENT FROM MINE ARE AGAINST THIS AND ARE EVIL debate . . . carry on then!
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Ranoscky(m): 2:21pm On Aug 03, 2010
Quote from @junkie: rather than urging improvement in quality of goods and service which has remained the problem with MADE IN NIGERIA goods for, I don't know, well over 3 decades, we should continue to waste our money to make these companies rich for producing crap while we could have extended the value of our naira and reducing cost by producing higher quality and longer lasting goods and services?  

(if i'm not missin your point.) Den, r u sayin dat d introduction of "made in nigeria vehicles" by innoson is useless since nigerian product doesn't have a good n standard quality? (accordin to u)
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by cold(m): 2:29pm On Aug 03, 2010
grin ;DHaha, i no fit shout,kobo no go kill pesin.You're the one with the inflexible and rigid personality,refusing to bow to a superior argument even when it is very obvious your argument have fallen thru,you still hold on to it tenaciously like you lyf depends on it.
When was the last time you conceded defeat in any debate,what is wrong in saying;'ok you were right & i was wrong'?Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 2:31pm On Aug 03, 2010
Ranoscky:

Quote from @junkie: rather than urging improvement in quality of goods and service which has remained the problem with MADE IN NIGERIA goods for, I don't know, well over 3 decades, we should continue to waste our money to make these companies rich for producing crap while we could have extended the value of our naira and reducing cost by producing higher quality and longer lasting goods and services? 

(if i'm not missin your point.) Den, r u sayin dat d introduction of "made in nigeria vehicles" by innoson is useless since nigerian product doesn't have a good n standard quality? (accordin to u)

redsun:

Rome was not built in a day junkie,we can only improve our products by patronizing them sacrificially.

My response to that post . . .

Kobojunkie:

Yes, rather than urging improvement in quality of goods and service which has remained the problem with MADE IN NIGERIA goods for, I don't know, well over 3 decades, we should continue to waste our money to make these companies rich for producing crap while we could have extended the value of our naira and reducing cost by producing higher quality and longer lasting goods and services? WOW . . you better not give that idea away for free . . .

Any wonder why China continues to flood our markets with crap while the same China does it's best to ensure only the best enters the US as they know it will likely cost them if they do not? South Africa is one country that has not only increased it's local market but also quality in the same process and we may need to look there for how it is done rather than urging for more blind patronizing of goods that we are unable to verify are worth the investment. We already have examples of states option for foreign contractors rather than local contractors. Not that there are no local contractors willing to get these contracts but these states have realized that the cost is significantly higher to the state to higher local low quality contractors than their foreign counterparts.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by redsun(m): 2:32pm On Aug 03, 2010
The only time we will become fully independent as a people is when when we become technical,being able to put metals,plastics and all the bit and pieces together to meet our needs and any step toward that is a giant leap for any black nation in the quest for sovereignty,it should be encouraged.

It is the duty of any reasonable government to maintain and improve manufacturing standard.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 2:38pm On Aug 03, 2010
redsun:

The only time we will become fully independent as a people is when when we become technical,being able to put metals,plastics and all the bit and pieces together to meet our needs and any step toward that is a giant leap for any black nation in the quest for sovereignty,it should be encouraged.

It is the duty of any reasonable government to maintain and improve manufacturing standard.

We are not new to manufacturing sector. we have been in the business of manufacturing for long enough to understand the importance of quality and how it works for us, not against us. I remember back in the 80's when the problem of less than par goods became a serious issue.  From the salt merchant to the shoe manufacturers, it has been the same excuses over and over.

Yes, government can help improve manufacturing standards but the same government has it's own work to do. The private sector ought to spearhead this move and it can do so. Nothing today stops a plastics manufacturing company from choosing to produce more durable products, nothing! It is too easy to blame government for everything.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by redsun(m): 2:50pm On Aug 03, 2010
Nothing can work in a situation where the government is the main detriment to cultural,economic and social progress like in nigeria.In a normal world,government set standards for manufacturers that must be maintained and controlled through supervisions,monitoring,supports,patronage and enabling environments for industries to grow.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On Aug 03, 2010
redsun:

Nothing can work in a situation where the government is the main detriment to cultural,economic and social progress like in nigeria.In a normal world,government set standards for manufacturers that must be maintained and controlled through supervisions,monitoring,supports,patronage and enabling environments for industries to grow.
The government is not working against manufacturers producing quality products and services for the masses. There is no evidence of that. The Aba shoe makers are not commanded to produce less quality shoes for the markets. It turns out quality pays for itself at the end of the day, and the reason why Nigerians continue to, in large numbers patronize foreign goods and services, as well as foreign contractors. Improved quality will not only make sense for the end user but also the companies as well and it is not a onetime investment.

Government ought not to blindly spend billions of our money on products it has discovered are less quality and so more expensive in the long run. Government can urge that the companies improve on quality, and re-apply for partnership but I believe overall government ought to patronize those companies willing to improve on quality as way of helping boost Nigerian made products and quality of these goods at the same time. It should not be a SACRIFICIAL issue at all because the money being spent by government does not come from trees.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by donob: 3:23pm On Aug 03, 2010
The govt of Enugu state can only have done well by fixing this little bridge linking a hapless community just 10min to the capital

Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by redsun(m): 3:24pm On Aug 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The government is not working against manufacturers producing quality products and services for the masses. There is no evidence of that. The Aba shoe makers are not commanded to produce less quality shoes for the markets. It turns out quality pays for itself at the end of the day, and the reason why Nigerians continue to, in large numbers patronize foreign goods and services, as well as foreign contractors. Improved quality will not only make sense for the end user but also the companies as well and it is not a onetime investment.

Government ought not to blindly spend billions of our money on products it has discovered are less quality and so more expensive in the long run. Government can urge that the companies improve on quality, and re-apply for partnership but I believe overall government ought to patronize those companies willing to improve on quality as way of helping boost Nigerian made products and quality of these goods at the same time. It should not be a SACRIFICIAL issue at all because the money being spent by government does not come from trees.

What are you talking about?Who are you blaming?Is it the die hard manufacturer struggling against all odds of government maladministration to stay afloat or the government that as a result of their corrupt practices and gross unpatriotism has set a very negative standard that even the manufacture finds himself and follows?,

I am very sure you have heard of regulatory agencies in america,what they stand for and their duties are in the society?If you haven't try and find out and furnish us with their duties.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Vavavoom(m): 3:25pm On Aug 03, 2010
redsun:

The only time we will become fully independent as a people is when [b]when we become technical,being able to put metals,plastics and all the bit and pieces together to meet our needs and any step toward that is a giant leap for any black nation in the quest for sovereignt[/b]y,it should be encouraged.

An investment in quality education should gaurantee that, but we are in that period of care-free corruption, that point where quality and emancipative education isn't valued as  much as stashing dollar notes in Swiss banks. The syndrome of short-sightedness amongst the ruling classpartly due to an indocile following public has stagnated the nation in this place overt dependence on other nations for quality goods and services.
We can find a way to improve on a bad product if we resolve to put education first. Goods, efficient and worthy ones can hardly be qualitative if discovered flaws in their first instance of production are not corrected in future produce. Imporvement is waiting on us, we just need to make the choice to desire and work for the best.
Re: Nigerian Government Patronising Nigerian Products by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Aug 03, 2010
redsun:

What are you talking about?Who are you blaming?Is it the die hard manufacturer struggling against all odds of government maladministration to stay afloat or the government that as a result of their corrupt practices and gross unpatriotism has set a very negative standard that even the manufacture finds himself and follows?,
My response, most of Nigerian economy is informal -- not regulated by government. Any manufacturer can essentially produce goods, get them to the market and start making profits right away. Nothing in our current setting stops that from happening.
Sure we have a corrupt government but we also have an open market that does not hinder manufacturers in any way from pursuing quality to the extent they desire. If you were to tell me that there exists policies in place to HINDER manufacturers developing quality products to rival those imported from such countries as China, western economies etc. then I would say you should show it and if legit, I will concede that government is the problem here. SInce that does not exist, I believe manufacturers are as much to blame for the problem.

redsun:

I am very sure you have heard of regulatory agencies in america,what they stand for and their duties are in the society?If you haven't try and find out and furnish us with their duties.
We are not where America is right now or even a 100 years ago government wise, but nothing stops us from making the best of what we have on the way to a better future.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NLC's Endorsement Of Labour Party's Ifeanyi Ubah / Buhari may not be nigeria's president come may 29 / Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.