Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector (3139 Views)

New World Trade Center In Abuja To Boost Nigeria's Economy - CNN / I Have Fulfilled My Promise On Power Sector - Jonathan / GEJ Jets-off To Germany To See Patience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Nobody: 4:20am On Aug 03, 2010
[size=18pt]Germany to boost Nigeria power sector
[/size]

Germany has pledged to boost the Nigerian power sector through financial and technical assistance. Already, it is targeting loan financing to support rehabilitation of the Kainji hydropower plant.

In a press statement issued by the German Embassy in Abuja and made available to Daily Sun yesterday, Berlin said it is encouraged by the progress achieved by the Nigerian-German Energy Partnership.
Last year, the German government embarked on a capacity building scheme in Nigeria to the tune of N82 million. The scheme was adjudged successful by the 5th Nigerian-German Energy Partnership (NGEP) conference held in Abuja recently.

Top on the agenda of the two-day conference was the implementation of a portfolio of projects. Participants considered the implementation and realization of five flagship projects: gas gathering primarily for domestic use under the terms of the gas master plan; finalisation of the extension of the Geregu power plant by 434 MW; deployment of small heavy-fuel oil power stations; erection of a coal-fired power plant; rehabilitation/extension of large-scale and construction of small hydropower plants.

“Nigeria is in the process of committing substantial assets and financial resources to these projects,” the statement said, adding that it was agreed that an eight-person working group should monitor the implementation of the NGEP projects.
The conference was attended by a 35-person German delegation from government and industry led by the State Secretary of the German Federal Foreign Office, Dr Peter Ammon.
The conference which was formally opened by the Minister of State for Power Nuhu Way was chaired by a Nigerian-German tandem in line with the partnership’s policy of discussions among equals.

Meanwhile, a new Press and Cultural Attaché has been appointed for the German Embassy in Nigeria. He is Dr. Burkard Weth. Until his new posting, Weth had worked with the German Foreign Office in Berlin. He succeeds Cord Christian Busche who has since returned to Germany.
In a chat with Daily Sun during a courtesy call on the Deputy Managing Director/Deputy Editor-in-Chief of The Sun Publishing Limited, Mr. Femi Adesina, Weth said he was looking forward to a good working relationship with the Nigerian media.

He said though his posting to Nigeria was his first time in Africa, he was not new to African affairs, having worked on the Africa Affairs Desk at the German Press and Information Office for seven years. He said he was intrigued coming to Nigeria. “Africa is quite an interesting country, having diverse culture and different languages, it is making progress politically and economically.

Also, I appreciate coming to Nigeria. I have been in Abuja. It is a modern city with a lot of green areas, broad streets and other interesting features which easily attracts foreign visitors.”
Weth hopes to bring his wealth of experience in both the German Foreign Office and the German Press and Information Office to bear on his official duties in Nigeria. While at the African Desk, he was exposed to both African journalists who were on special tours and those who traveled to Germany with their respective Heads of governments.

At the African Desk of the Press and Information Office, Weth had the responsibility of gathering information on Africa as well as organizing trips for visiting African journalists.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/july/30/national-07-30-2010-009.htm
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Nobody: 5:04am On Aug 03, 2010
May God help Nigeria.
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 03, 2010
can someone say SIEMENS cheesy
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Redman44(m): 12:25pm On Aug 03, 2010
I don't know why the Germans have not been invited to help Nigeria out of her energy crisis until now. It is clear the Nigerian Government cannot solve the problems we are having concerning the generation and transmission of electricity.  Why do we find it difficult to do the right thing for God's sake? When you know you are not good at something, why do you find it difficult to ask for assistance from someone that knows better? I hope this new move by the German Government to help us sort our Energy problem will yield fruit.  Lighting up Nigeria is not rocket science. It can be done within 5 years if our leaders do away with their tendency of getting something out of every project in their hands. This 'What Can I Get Out Of This' mentality is what is keeping Nigeria down cry cry

The Developed countries especially Germany, Canada, Norway, Japan, South Africa et al [ I don't trust the USA, UK AND China that much ] are ready to provide technical assistance that will aid Nigeria's development rapidly, but the Governments of the countries I mentioned love transparency, honesty and dedication to duty which most of our leaders lack. If we can allow the Germans do their work unhindered, we'll make progress with power generation in Nigeria. The Federal Government should stop making it look as if our Energy problem is so big that it cannot be solved while the shameless looting of funds continue. Hmn.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Ranoscky(m): 12:27pm On Aug 03, 2010
Until den!

*next*
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Beaf: 12:32pm On Aug 03, 2010
Good to see so much attention going to power generation. Lets hope the privatisation of PHCN goes quickly enough, that in itself will be a major boost.
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by EzeUche22(m): 1:07pm On Aug 03, 2010
And what will they get in return? Lucrative oil deals? undecided
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by babaowo: 2:00pm On Aug 03, 2010
let there be light that what God said,
but nigeria leaders can not survive the
light of almighty God
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Akosbaba(m): 2:04pm On Aug 03, 2010
@ezeuche22,maybe
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by kaiosama(m): 2:44pm On Aug 03, 2010
ANOTHER WAY OF SIPHONING MONEY!. IN 10 YRS TO COME, WE WILL STILL BE EXPECTING THE MUCH TALKED GERMANS TO BOOST POWER IN NAIJA. PATIENT NIGERIANS, IT SHALL BE WELL IN 20-20.
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Nixo: 4:45pm On Aug 03, 2010
We shall all seee, Oyinbo man and all dem scams,

Why cant Nigerians just open their eyes ever

SIEMENS SIEMENS SIEMENS,
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by chelseabmw(m): 4:58pm On Aug 03, 2010
Very soon france will also boost nigeria sector
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by harpo(m): 5:03pm On Aug 03, 2010
MAY GOD BLESS NIGERIA, MOST ESPECIALLY WITH PEOPLE WHO WILL FOLLOW THROUGH ON THEIR WORDS WITH ACTION, AMEN
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by kobikwelu(m): 7:59pm On Aug 03, 2010
@ topic,

haven't we being here before

at first i tot the Chinese said the same thing about our energy problem,

then it was the US making promises,

NOW ITS "ZE GERMANS",
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by mamagee3(f): 8:01pm On Aug 03, 2010
chelseabmw:

Very soon france will also boost nigeria sector
harpo:

MAY GOD BLESS NIGERIA, MOST ESPECIALLY WITH PEOPLE WHO WILL FOLLOW THROUGH ON THEIR WORDS WITH ACTION, AMEN
grin cheesy grin
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by jude33084(m): 2:23am On Aug 04, 2010
I have been hearing this same gist since 1999 cool
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by 5p1naz(m): 3:52am On Aug 04, 2010
well i have been hearing this same gist since i was born
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by supereagle(m): 5:40am On Aug 04, 2010
Redman44:

I don't know why the Germans have not been invited to help Nigeria out of her energy crisis until now. It is clear the Nigerian Government cannot solve the problems we are having concerning the generation and transmission of electricity.  Why do we find it difficult to do the right thing for God's sake? When you know you are not good at something, why do you find it difficult to ask for assistance from someone that knows better? I hope this new move by the German Government to help us sort our Energy problem will yield fruit.  Lighting up Nigeria is not rocket science. It can be done within 5 years if our leaders do away with their tendency of getting something out of every project in their hands. This 'What Can I Get Out Of This' mentality is what is keeping Nigeria down cry cry

The Developed countries especially Germany, Canada, Norway, Japan, South Africa et al [ I don't trust the USA, UK AND China that much ] are ready to provide technical assistance that will aid Nigeria's development rapidly, but the Governments of the countries I mentioned love transparency, honesty and dedication to duty which most of our leaders lack. If we can allow the Germans do their work unhindered, we'll make progress with power generation in Nigeria. The Federal Government should stop making it look as if our Energy problem is so big that it cannot be solved while the shameless looting of funds continue. Hmn.

www.vibes-extra..com

People in Govt know how to the problem, but corruption and selfishness wont allow them to do the right thing .
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by mrkoma2012: 10:33am On Aug 04, 2010
Glutton,the loot from the obasanjo era is fast diminishing hope this doesnt end on the sour note in the same vain as previous promises
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by dustydee: 10:59am On Aug 04, 2010
lets wait and see
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Ranoscky(m): 12:09pm On Aug 04, 2010
Na today? undecided

NEPA - Never expect power always!

(N we'r about to celebrate 50yrs of independence with d biggest cake ever.) sad
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by becomrich3: 12:13pm On Aug 04, 2010
[size=38pt]How can you people be so silly, not to know sun newspaper is a 419 newspaper. Most of the story on sun newspaper are 419 and lies. wake up nigeria.[/size]
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by philip0906(m): 4:44pm On Aug 04, 2010
^^
The psychiatric home dat let u out,must be a substandard one with inefficient staff. . .
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Aug 04, 2010
But this is old news . . . I mean like 2 years old news. When are we going to see this?
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by kobikwelu(m): 5:43pm On Aug 04, 2010
Na today?

NEPA - Never expect power always!

(N we'r about to celebrate 50yrs of independence with d biggest cake ever.)

so thats for the cake was used for
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Ranoscky(m): 7:38pm On Aug 04, 2010
^
Guy i no get ur point pls.

@Becomrich, ur username go soon turn to becomepoor by being a silly clown also!
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by kobikwelu(m): 9:31pm On Aug 04, 2010
neva knew that the world biggest cake was made for our celeb
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by CGKing(m): 11:11pm On Aug 04, 2010
What shall we do, good news without works is certainly better than no news without works.
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by siapaya(m): 10:27pm On Aug 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

[size=18pt]Germany to boost Nigeria power sector
[/size]

Meanwhile, a new Press and Cultural Attaché has been appointed for the German Embassy in Nigeria. He is Dr. Burkard Weth.

He said though his posting to Nigeria was his first time in Africa, he was not new to African affairs, having worked on the Africa Affairs Desk at the German Press and Information Office for seven years. He said he was intrigued coming to Nigeria. “Africa is quite an interesting country, having diverse culture and different languages, it is making progress politically and economically.

Also, I appreciate coming to Nigeria. I have been in Abuja ( only?). It is a modern city with a lot of green areas, broad streets and other interesting features which easily attracts foreign visitors.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/july/30/national-07-30-2010-009.htm

wink wink wink
Re: Germany To Boost Nigeria Power Sector by Ejiafam: 8:01pm On Aug 09, 2010
Hello Friends, The major problem is not generating power, the big problem confronting the power sector is distribution. All the distribution companies need to be taking over before efficiency can be experienced.

(1) (Reply)

Who Gets 2015? North Or East? / OBJ In Yoruba History / How Much Is A Billion Naira?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.