Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO (7380 Views)

Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year / Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner / Nigeria Can’t Meet Vision 20-20 Target, Says UNIDO (2) (3) (4)

Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Onlytruth(m): 3:51am On Aug 04, 2010
[size=16pt]Nigeria’s population may hit 300m, says UNIDO[/size]

A REPORT released by the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) yesterday indicated that Nigeria’s population would double in the next 30 years, hitting 300 million.
UNIDO warned that the country might not have the capacity to cope with the situation unless it pays more than lip-service to the industrial sector of the economy.
Director General of the organisation, Kandel Yumkela, who raised the alarm in Abuja, called attention to the need to revamp the agriculture sector.
He urged Nigeria to borrow from countries like India, which faced same situation and took advantage of it
“We projected that the Nigeria population will double in the next 30 years and over 30 per cent will live in the urban area/cities. Abuja is listed among the mega cities in the year 2020. Lagos is always among the top six cities. Imagine Lagos with 30 million population and 70 per cent in the informal sector not employed let alone enjoying electricity.
“It shows you the challenge that Nigeria faces. This should be converted to opportunity like India by looking at the population dividends and not the challenges. The growth in population will increase the workforce because the age 18-40 always falls within the force,” he said
The UNIDO chief, who visited the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, noted: “Nigeria’s population will double in about 30 years to about 300 million. The United States’  (U.S.) population hit 300 million about a decade ago. But the question is can you feed yourself; can you take advantage of the ecological opportunity, which God has given you? This country is endowed with agric resources and other potentials that you can use to feed the country and Africa as whole, but you are not making good use of it.”
He added: “Nigeria never wants to look at its population statistic properly and has a realistic number of what people are now and what they will be in the next 20 years. Without proper demographic distribution, you cannot plan well. What you are doing is adhoc.  In U.S., Indonesia, Bangladesh and India, they take the population number serious, because it influences where industries should be, where infrastructure would be placed, not for the sake of politics but for the survival of the nation. If people are hungry and poor, they would become desperate.”
On the situation in the Niger Delta, he noted, “When I was here 10 year ago, I used to warn about what was going on in the Niger Delta that it would explode and they should be careful with it. But what I was told then was that it is impossible. Nigerians refused to listen and it has exploded.”
He added: “Nigeria’s future should anchor on value addition to its product. It needs to diversify from oil and gas to fertiliser, to plastic like other countries that are endowed with oil and gas. Nigeria should make use of the end product of its oil and gas and develop.”

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19001:nigerias-population-may-hit-300m-says-unido-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Onlytruth(m): 3:53am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

[size=16pt]Nigeria’s population may hit 300m, says UNIDO[/size]

He added: “Nigeria never wants to look at its population statistic properly and has a realistic number of what people are now and what they will be in the next 20 years. Without proper demographic distribution, you cannot plan well. What you are doing is adhoc. In U.S., Indonesia, Bangladesh and India, they take the population number serious, because it influences where industries should be, where infrastructure would be placed, not for the sake of politics but for the survival of the nation. If people are hungry and poor, they would become desperate.”
On the situation in the Niger Delta, he noted, “When I was here 10 year ago, I used to warn about what was going on in the Niger Delta that it would explode and they should be careful with it. But what I was told then was that it is impossible. Nigerians refused to listen and it has exploded.”
He added: “Nigeria’s future should anchor on value addition to its product. It needs to diversify from oil and gas to fertiliser, to plastic like other countries that are endowed with oil and gas. Nigeria should make use of the end product of its oil and gas and develop.”

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19001:nigerias-population-may-hit-300m-says-unido-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Who will help me [size=20pt]SHOUT[/size] this message! shocked
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Onlytruth(m): 3:54am On Aug 04, 2010

Without proper demographic distribution, you cannot plan well.

Bottom line.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 04, 2010
How did we reach this number? shocked shocked shocked

So many EzeUches and Sjeezy8s shooting sperms everywhere.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Ikedonn(m): 11:42am On Aug 04, 2010
Woo!!
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 12:00pm On Aug 04, 2010
No jobs,no electricity,to recreational centers ,people,s recreation is sex .In developed world that are not having babies,but in developing countries population is on the increase.The census figures are always for political purpose and not planning purpose,you can imagine in the last election puting lagos at 10 million when an average of 5 people enter that city on a daily bases.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Acidosis(m): 12:30pm On Aug 04, 2010
This estimation makes no sense to me.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Kobojunkie: 12:33pm On Aug 04, 2010
olas2u:

No jobs,no electricity,to recreational centers ,people,s recreation is sex .In developed world that are not having babies,but in developing countries population is on the increase.The census figures are always for political purpose and not planning purpose,you can imagine in the last election puting lagos at 10 million when an average of 5 people enter that city on a daily bases.

No system in place to ensure those who breed are made to support the 'fruits of their loom'. . . . No social system in place to ensure those who breed understand and are made responsible for the product of their actions.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 04, 2010
When did nigeria become a baby factory that some people could estimate the production for the next 30 years ? That is so hysteric
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by governess: 12:46pm On Aug 04, 2010
I studied Geography and we were taught in the study of demography that population census are used to allocate resources accordingly.
Its only in Nigeria that census are use for political and selfish decision making.
What even bothers me the most is that these information are very easy to get if we have the political and moral will.
However the common conclusion is that God will help us
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Redman44(m): 12:47pm On Aug 04, 2010
I gave a hint on one of the threads yesterday that Nigeria has about 200 Million citizens already. I believe the Nigerian population is even more than that.  There is hardly any Sunday in some churches that babies are not dedicated and prayed for. I know of a woman in my hood in Nigeria who had about 7 children in 8 years, and she was not yet 30 years old when she had the 7th child. This woman sells foodstuff and roasts maize for sale. I'm not telling a fairy tale here. shocked shocked shocked   You need to visit the Isolo area of Akure, Ondo State, to see the number of people living in that slum. Yet we do not have accurate Birth and Death Registration centres. I will come back to this thread later in the day. I'm busy at work. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Ultrame(m): 12:53pm On Aug 04, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

How did we reach this number? shocked shocked shocked

So many EzeUches and Sjeezy8s shooting sperms everywhere.

^^^^^
You're missing the main culprit: Tuface Idibia! Tubaba, u 2 much!
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 12:56pm On Aug 04, 2010
You dont need expertise to have sex and produce babies ,you need to train them,the number of politcal tugs and tuggish policemen and obas and politicians is just on the increase,Now the tugs are going to part time school to get certificates to contest elections,when they win we will allbe in trouble
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Kobojunkie: 12:56pm On Aug 04, 2010
Neptunz:

When did nigeria become a baby factory that some people could estimate the production for the next 30 years ? That is so hysteric

What? Considering we do not get half the migration countries like UK or even US gets yet our population continues to rise at seriously high rates, it is sensible to conclude at this point that we are probably manufacturing those new heads unless you want to believe they falling out of the sky.

In a period of about 10 years alone, our population rose at a ridiculous rate. There is no report of a huge influx of foreigners and there seems no reports indicating birth rate has fallen during that period. It is safe to go with the baby manufacturing angle now and do all we can to curb the problem now, not later.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by deliceshop(m): 12:56pm On Aug 04, 2010
WE SHOULD DO IT THE CHINESE WAY ONE FAMILY TO A CHILD  AND THOSE THAT HAVE MANY WE TAKE AND GIVE TO THOSE THAT DO NOT HAVE YET

ANYBODY SHOOTING EVERYWHERE SHOULD BE JAIL FOR LIVE AND PEOPLE SHOULD SELL THERE SP**M TO COUNTRY LIKE FRANCE AND GERMANY JUST THE WAY ITS DONE IN SPAIN

WE WILL BE BETTER PEOPLE

NIGERIA I PRAY AND HOW THE COUNTRY WILL WORK BUT IT THE PEOPLE INSIDE IT

NIGERIA A COUNTRY WITHOUT DISCIPLINE EVERY TOM DICK AND ALI DOES THE WAY THE WANT WE NEED THE LIKES OF CHINA, FRANCE, GERMANY, UK USA  GOVERNSHIP FOR 6MONTHS TO GIVE NIGERIA DISCIPLINE

NIGERIA A COUNTRY THAT LIVE ON THE EDGE OF THE GRACE OF GOD

FOLLOW US ON OUR NIARABOOK PAGE : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-435908.99999.html#bot

DELICESHOP
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 04, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What? Considering we do not get half the migration countries like UK or even US gets yet our population continues to rise at seriously high rates, it is sensible to conclude at this point that we are probably manufacturing those new heads unless you want to believe they falling out of the sky.

In a period of about 10 years alone, our population rose at a ridiculous rate. There is no report of a huge influx of foreigners and there seems no reports indicating birth rate has fallen during that period. It is safe to go with the baby manufacturing angle now and do all we can to curb the problem now, not later.
i still do not think we could hit that figure by that time considering the fact that most people are either educated or informed on family planning.most people that still give multiple children are mostly in the rural area.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by asha80(m): 1:14pm On Aug 04, 2010
Neptunz:

i still do not think we could hit that figure by that time considering the fact that most people are either educated or informed on family planning.[/b]most people that [b]still give multiple children are mostly in the rural area.

Do you live or know nigeria well

Most nigerians are educated or informed about family planning

Even some that have heard of family planning still think it is a foreign concept

You believe that more nigerians live in urban areas than rural
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by DisGuy: 1:15pm On Aug 04, 2010
Neptunz:

i still do not think we could hit that figure by that time considering the fact that most people are either educated or informed on family planning.most people that still give multiple children are mostly in the rural area.

well 70- 80% of nigeria is rural
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Kobojunkie: 1:16pm On Aug 04, 2010
Neptunz:

And you ASSUME that the educated and informed are the majority? That The URBANIZED folks are the majority, and URBANIZED folks don't have multiple kids?

Nope!!! The rural people in Nigeria make up the majority. When I really look at the numbers I get the sense that

a) Majority of those who live in the urban areas are also Not as educated and informed as we would like them to be

b) For about every 1 educated and informed person in Nigeria, there are still about 40 uneducated/uninformed persons out there

c) the Educated are not necessarily informed

d) Rural Nigeria still makes up the vast majority of our population  -- Not that it is bad to live in those areas

The man in Makoko who has 16 kids lives just 3 miles from lagos island. His kids are educated and some of them already have drones of their own. ROFLAMO!!!

Look . . . I am not against having multiple kids.  NO, what I am against is people having multiple kids they do not care for. The milions of children we have on our streets, and living on their own with no parents taking care of them. Once we can focus on making sure that people are forced to be more responsible, I think we will likely see the numbers come down significantly. If a man and his women want to have 100 kids. I am ok with that as long as they are made to understand that if they fail to take care of all the children, there will be severe consequences on their part. Children are also not tools and so those who intend to use their children for cheap labour ought to be informed of the consequences that awaits them. And we need to enforce these things too.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Fhemmmy: 1:19pm On Aug 04, 2010
Very true and some nations have used to make their nation better, with better planning
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by 9jawear(m): 1:23pm On Aug 04, 2010
now with information,like this no wonder bill gates comes to nigeria to promote vaccination and all that.

population control, if we continue at this rate, the elite feel we are going to cause pandemonium and also deplete our limited resources
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by DisGuy: 1:28pm On Aug 04, 2010
you na go soon need visa enter lagoon state of lekki and Ajah, Ghana will be the next residential haven
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by jokingmary(m): 1:55pm On Aug 04, 2010
Dis Guy:

you na go soon need visa enter lagoon state of lekki and Ajah, Ghana will be the next residential haven

Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Ranoscky(m): 2:16pm On Aug 04, 2010
Abeg i no need to go thru all d summary buh, i believe say Nigerians as a whole now r more dan 300mills!

*Not to talk of d battallions wey dey abroad* (omo men, nigerians na garri, no doubt. how many u wan count?) undecided
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by paddylo1(m): 2:46pm On Aug 04, 2010
The Negative ppl are as usual out in full force. . .

300Million ppl is actually very good. . .How many of them will need food. .perhaps u start a bakery
what about Houses,okay start areal estate busiiness

Schools. . .start a private school

Drycleaning?. .start a drycleaning business. . .

Cell phones?. . well go buy into MTN NIgeria cause thats more money for them for yrs to come

Cars? , how about pooling funds and replicating Innosons plants in Nigeria

Financial services?. . .Well start up your own brokerage house/Financial services firm

The list goes on and on. . . . Every thing in life is 50 -50. . the glass is either half full or half empty,but it depends on who is doing the looking

So if Nigerias Population is rising i am happy . . .i will position myself to benefit from it
u lot can stay online and keep complaining
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Fhemmmy: 2:48pm On Aug 04, 2010
paddy_lo:

300Million ppl is actually very good. . .How many of them will need food. .perhaps u start a bakery

Cell phones?. . well go buy into MTN NIgeria cause thats more money for them for yrs to come

Cars? , how about pooling funds and replicating Innosons plants in Nigeria

Financial services?. . .Well start up your own brokerage house/Financial services firm

The list goes on and on. . . . Every thing in life is 50 -50. . the glass is either half full or half empty,but it depends on who is doing the looking

So if Nigerias Population is rising i am happy . . .i will position myself to benefit from it

Lol . . . good thinking, but would the amenities be able to sustain the population?
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by snowdrops(m): 3:01pm On Aug 04, 2010
nigeria population figures are a fallacy, we are no were near 150 million anyway. unless you want to count the cows and sheep the mallams own in the north.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by DisGuy: 3:05pm On Aug 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Lol . . . good thinking, but would the amenities be able to sustain the population?

Nah it doesn't matter as long as he makes the money $$$ he'll leave the beasts to fight for the crumbs and monitor things from Ghana, South Africa
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by tkb417(m): 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2010
and what if we are gonna grow to 300m?

it means the govt need to build more roads and get more infrastuctures on ground

more people = more opprotunities

reason why entreprenuership is thriving is cos we are populated. No matter what u sell in this country, u will eke out a living outta it

if we like, grow to 1billion. it means my product has a ready market of 1 billion people
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Lol . . .  good thinking, but would the amenities be able to sustain the population?
paddy_lo:

Cars? ,  how about pooling funds and replicating Innosons plants in Nigeria

You sound so much like a novice in business in Nigeria.You are not smarter than people already living your dream.The population is 150m and you cannot point to any world class that is home grown .For your info the bakery business in Nigeria as been taking over by chinese.The Nigerian brakeries are outdated with No electricity and thieven workers.
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by Adonike(m): 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2010
We are truly the GIANT of Africa
Re: Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO by tkb417(m): 3:22pm On Aug 04, 2010
olas2u:

You sound so much like a novice in business in Nigeria.You are not smarter than people already living your dream.The population is 150m and you cannot point to any world class home grown Nigerian company .For your info the bakery business in Nigeria as been taking over by chinese.The Nigerian brakeries are outdated with No electricity and so thieven workers.
psst!!

the opportunities are there but the risks are huge

no world class home grown company?

is that a mistake?

u wanna edit?

G7 Leaders List Top Corupt Nigerian Leaders / $5 Million Anambra Ugu Exports: Anambra Millionaire Ugu Exporters Speak (video) / FG Targets 7% Growth With Economic Recovery Plan

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59