Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:37 AM

Yerima To Face Prosecution ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yerima To Face Prosecution ! (3840 Views)

Olisa Metuh And Yerima The Bail Differences - Just Check This. / Mohammed Adoke Recommends CCT Chairman’s Removal, Prosecution - Thisday / Drama As Northern Group Seeks ICC Prosecution Of Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by wales(m): 6:00am On Aug 04, 2010
Ahmed Sanni Yerima may soon be arraigned in court for alleged child abuse and marriage to a minor. The former governor, who is now a senator, may be prosecuted over his marriage to an Egyptian minor, a 14-year old school girl, Eladly Maryam Maged Saleh.

NEXT investigation in Abuja showed that the federal government is currently studying a report which detailed the offences of Mr. Yerima. Sources at the Ministry of Justice headquarters in Abuja disclosed that the report recommending the prosecution of the senator, is ready for the approval of federal government.

The Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Mohammed Bello Adoke, told our correspondent in his office yesterday that the file has been returned to him to properly advice the government.

Mr. Adoke had before directed our reporter to the office of the Solicitor-General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary of the ministry, whom he said was handling the investigative report submitted by the National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons and Other Related Matters (NAPTIP).

Attorney General breaks silence

Yesterday, the minister said, “I cannot answer your question right now. This is the file on my table (he raises the file for the journalist to see). I am reading it with a view to working on it and aligning it with the position of the Constitution, ” Explaining his position, Mr. Adoke said: “The issue is that the man who contracted the marriage said he did so under the Islamic rites, which is at variance with the Constitution. The Constitution, on the other hand, recognises marriages under the Marriage Act and Customary Laws. So, as the chief law officer of the country, I have the duty to read the report and align it with the position of the Constitution, which supersedes any other law and which I swore to uphold. I am still in the process of doing that. As soon as I finish doing that I will let you know. But I will not act against the Constitution by playing to the gallery just because I want to become a hero in the eyes of the public.”

According to NAPTIP, and the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Mr. Yerima’s marriage breached Sections 21, 22 and 23 of the Child Rights Act, 2003.

The Supreme Council for Sharia in Nigeria has sued the NHRC and NAPTIP over the matter asking the court to stop his prosecution.

However, sources at the Ministry of Justice say he will still be prosecuted irrespective of what comes out of the case by the Sharia council because he clearly breached some of the laws of the country.

The case, which is presently being heard before Justice Adamu Bello, president of Court 5 of the Abuja High Court, has been adjourned for hearing.

International investigation

The case has already attracted the attention of some international organisations including the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL), which General Counsel, Joel Sollier, last week contacted its national central bureau in Lagos for relevant information.

According to legal experts, one of the issues that is central to INTERPOL’s interest is the possible link to terrorism of the family of the under-aged girl, whose father was found in possessing of two different international passports.

A copy of the NAPTIP investigative report obtained by NEXT revealed that the girl’s father, Maged Saleh Mohammed Eladly, who is a driver to Mr. Yerima, had two Egyptian passports: A01086511, issued on 17/10/2009 in Egypt, valid till 16/10/2016 and A01403462, issued on 07/03/2010 in Egypt, valid till 06/03/2017.

Recommendation for Yerima’s prosecution

According to the report, “The first passport issued in 2009 has the father’s profession as workman while the second passport issued in 2010 referred to his profession as export and import office owner.” Miss Eladly, a 14-year-old student with passport number: A01385736 issued in Egypt on February 28, 2010, was born on January 9, 1996 in Kalyobiya, Egypt and was accompanied in her marriage to 49-year-old Mr. Yerima by her father, ten relations and many well-wishers - 58 in all- sponsored by the senator who paid $100, 000 dowry or Sadaqi on the girl.

The marriage was conducted by the Chief Imam of the Central Mosque, Abuja with a general form of sworn affidavit deposited at the Sharia Court of Appeal, Abuja.

The report before the justice minister notes that, “Senator Ahmed Rufai Sani Yerima’s action contravenes Sections 12 (a & b), 13 (1 & 2), 14 (1) and 17 (a & b) of the Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Law Enforcement and Administration Act 2003 as amended. His refusal to disclose the age of the minor (victim), the school she attends, and her class amounts to willful obstruction of lawful enquiry contrary to Section 58 (A & B) of TIP Act.

His refusal to disclose the exact amount of money paid as dowry is with intention to deceive the agency (NAPTIP) by using Islam as a cover up. The above section could be invoked as an offence under the Act which he is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years as the case may be. The Senator also breaches Sections 21, 22 and 23 of the Child Rights Act 2003, which is operational in FCT and liable on conviction to a fine of ₦500, 000.00 or imprisonment for a term of five years or both.”

Considering that Mr. Yerima was also alleged to have encouraged foreigners to breach the laws of Nigeria, raising the need to share intelligence with the government of Egypt, the Nigeria Police was urged to join in the prosecution. Asked what the police was doing on its end, the Public Relations Officer, Nigeria Police Force, Abuja, Emmanuel Ojukwu, said the police do not have to duplicate the duties of NAPTIP, which is in charge of the case.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5602499-146/yerima_to_face_prosecution__.csp

Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by seyibrown(f): 12:01pm On Aug 04, 2010
The FG must rest until this man is brought to book o!
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by ddippset(m): 12:21pm On Aug 04, 2010
that PAEDOPHILIC, UNSHAVEN, AND UNCIRCUMCISED SON OF A LovePeddler! his sharia law caused thousands of deaths in nigeria esp in kaduna state. he will definitely not rot in jail in this lawless country of ours but i hope he goes to hell and sits on a red hot piece of coal.
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Acidosis(m): 12:25pm On Aug 04, 2010
What sorts of confused organisations do we have in this nation? NAPTIP is one
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by maxtop(m): 12:25pm On Aug 04, 2010
Hmmn, i will "comment my reserve for now"  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by snowdrops(m): 12:29pm On Aug 04, 2010
there is no hiding place for the wicked. judgement day is drawing nearer for him each day
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by 9jawear(m): 12:32pm On Aug 04, 2010
lets go kirikiri,bode geroge would soon have another friend in high places
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by obi123: 12:45pm On Aug 04, 2010
As long as it is still MAYBE persecuted and not WILL BE persecuted , i still am not happy at all.

Personally i would have preferred that they have his willy chopped off and fed to his stupid beyond words, parents in- law . Nonsense !!
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Adonike(m): 12:55pm On Aug 04, 2010
I also want to 'comment my reserve for now' but Yerima should be jaile
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Pafuri(m): 1:19pm On Aug 04, 2010
Hang him by the balls!. grin grin grin
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by jokingmary(m): 1:29pm On Aug 04, 2010
Pafuri:

Hang him by the balls!. grin grin grin

Wicked is an understatement lipsrsealed
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by chidichris(m): 1:43pm On Aug 04, 2010
in law, it is said, justice delayed is justice denied. and from my little knowledge of english, the word MAY does not emphasise certainty.
@post, pls go look for other serious issues to post here.
nigeria is full of yerimas and as such, nobody is sure what his fate will be.
unless this man is not loyal to the pdp led govt but if he is, i will urge us to get busy with someother meaningful topics.
if nothing was done over the death of our arttorney general(bola ige) why is any nigerian waiting for something to be done over the marriage to a minor.
is there any place for morality in the books of pdp led govt? what happened when the owner of nigeria(obj) chop his daughter inlaw?
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by jokingmary(m): 1:56pm On Aug 04, 2010
chidichris:

in law, it is said, justice delayed is justice denied. and from my little knowledge of english, the word MAY does not emphasise certainty.
@post, pls go look for other serious issues to post here.
nigeria is full of yerimas and as such, nobody is sure what his fate will be.
unless this man is not loyal to the pdp led govt but if he is, i will urge us to get busy with someother meaningful topics.
if nothing was done over the death of our arttorney general(bola ige) why is any nigerian waiting for something to be done over the marriage to a minor.
is there any place for morality in the books of pdp led govt? what happened when the owner of nigeria(obj) chop his daughter inlaw?

You're right sad cry
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Ranoscky(m): 2:01pm On Aug 04, 2010
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution!

To face prosecution or, he has already faced prosecution n has been jailed for lyf? sad  Aturu Awusa!
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by reindeer: 2:22pm On Aug 04, 2010
about time!!!
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Desdo(m): 2:28pm On Aug 04, 2010
I believe yerima knows the gravity of his offence. He should be tried accordingly not minding the so called sharia law. The marriage to a minor is not a good omen because the girl might be exposed to diseases such as VVF.
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 04, 2010
I can bet confidently with anybody that yerima will not go to jail. It seems you guys are forgetting the type of country and leaders we have. What has happened to alams ,igbinedion , odili and co . If nigeria is a country with leaders who have integrity IBB would have shamefully gone on self-exile talkless of wanting to return to power.
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Fhemmmy: 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2010
will be following this
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by EvilBrain1(m): 3:07pm On Aug 04, 2010
Here's whats going to happen:

He'll be arrested, released on bail a few hours later, then he'll either get a plea bargain or there'll be a short trial. The worst that will happen if he's convicted is that he'll pay the N500,000 fine out of his pocket change and go home the same day.

Big men don't go to prison in Nigeria.
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by mrkoma2012: 3:21pm On Aug 04, 2010
I still do not understand all the ranting and noise making.Its as simple as ABC this dude is a paedophile evidence is right there in his house lock him up
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Parnassuss(m): 3:39pm On Aug 04, 2010
Cannot shout. sad
I think Naija govt should lias with the Egyptian govt and bring both the senator and the girls Dad to their knees with their balls scraping the earth.
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by CE: 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2010
This is a real case of child abuse
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by seanet02: 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2010
he should have been beheaded by now
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Outstrip(f): 4:10pm On Aug 04, 2010
Look at the nasty old fool that is raping a child born in 1996. God will punish him. May his dick never rise again. Idiot
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by Ranoscky(m): 4:24pm On Aug 04, 2010
^
grin grin grin U'r not funny at all o! grin

@seanet02, shey dis kyn matter no tire u? undecided i wonder wetin dem stil dey wait for. sad
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by newdeal(m): 5:15pm On Aug 04, 2010
If I know my beloved country well, [and I think I do], this issue will soon be politicized and branded a ''battle between North and South, Christian and Muslim and Western Culture and Arewa'' and at the end of the day, it will be settled out of court in the interest of National Peace leaving the bearded faithful to enjoy his tender loot!
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by tempest01(m): 5:32pm On Aug 04, 2010
As long as that clause in the constitution that does not allow interference to muslim marriages is still there,
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by TheClown: 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2010
newdeal:

bearded faithful to enjoy his tender loot!
cheesy grin wink grin cheesy wink grin cheesy wink grin cheesy wink
But its not funny at all embarassed lipsrsealed cry embarassed lipsrsealed cry embarassed lipsrsealed cry
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by pat077: 7:26pm On Aug 04, 2010
Both Yerima & d girls father should be jailed.
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by niger2011: 8:30pm On Aug 04, 2010
All who have posted a bad comment about this man are mad, sinner, corrupted etc. Tell me
what problem are you having with shariah law. Its difficult for you to accommodate?
you fornicator and adulterous. Everyone should keep mouth short or face the wrath of Allah.
I used to regret why Allah has destined me among the animals like Nigeria and why not a place
like Saudi Arabia. If one steal, lets cut his hand or leg, is that a problem for you? you thieves,
419ers. In the world of today without shariah. All 15years old girls are no more virgin. If you marry
a lady at 25 now, ofcouse you married a used lady. All what you are throwing a big party for is what
someone else has been enjoying for the past 10years. So, why not leaving the man with is own issue
and face yours. My next post will be on Marriage in Islam and i hope the admin will put this message on the
homepage for all to see. No price is too big for a lady bride price.
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by seyibrown(f): 8:35pm On Aug 04, 2010
@tempest01
As long as that clause in the constitution that does not allow interference to muslim marriages is still there

Is there really such a clause? Please post a link or the full text!

@niger2011
All who have posted a bad comment about this man are mad, sinner, corrupted etc. Tell me
what problem are you having with shariah law. Its difficult for you to accommodate?
you fornicator and adulterous. Everyone should keep mouth short or face the wrath of Allah.
I used to regret why Allah has destined me among the animals like Nigeria and why not a place
like Saudi Arabia. If one steal, lets cut his hand or leg, is that a problem for you? you thieves,
419ers. In the world of today without shariah. All 15years old girls are no more virgin. If you marry
a lady at 25 now, ofcouse you married a used lady. All what you are throwing a big party for is what
someone else has been enjoying for the past 10years. So, why not leaving the man with is own issue
and face yours. My next post will be on Marriage in Islam and i hope the admin will put this message on the
homepage for all to see. No price is too big for a lady bride price.

Have you considered renouncing your citizenship?
Re: Yerima To Face Prosecution ! by touchmeder: 8:43pm On Aug 04, 2010
amen lets see it happen really soon

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG, Labour Move Towards Compromise / Achebe Got It All Wrong On Tribalism (in Nigeria And Africa). A Must Read!!!!!! / Osama Bin Laden's Last Love Letter To His Wife Recovered In His Pakistan Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.