Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,910 members, 7,828,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos (57408 Views)

Misuzulu KaZwelithini, Zulu King In First Reed Dance With Virgin Maidens / Oba Bamidele Simeon Dabo Becomes Igbekebo New King In Ondo / Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Becomes The Youngest King In Ijaw Nation. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Blezzme: 12:38am On Dec 31, 2018
Osagyefo98:
Okorocha has really spit on tradition....
Tradition my foot.
Any traditional practice that is detrimental to any citizen of Nigeria is against the constitution of this country and such tradition must be abolished according to our constitution.[code][/code]
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Strikethem: 12:41am On Dec 31, 2018
Ikechu12:

Why must Afonjas care about what's happening in Igbo culture when your Primitive culture is 10x worse than the Osu caste system. Hell you things skull mine eachother weekly like it's gold una are digging but, you savages are more worried about Osu and giving advise una need 10x more than Igbos. Maybe if you goats actually start minding una business, you won't be daily crying about "linking your problems to South West". Just a thought...start listening to your own advice

Oh and while at this is an ANNOYMOUS forum dummy. One thing you savage of waste are known for on this forum and you've been caught more times than one can count is una pretending to be other tribes. Osagbye who's claiming to be Nnewi on this page is a perfect example. Aside from this una forum, nowhere else do you see anyone wailing of Anambra supremacy talk. I wonder why. I repeat go tell your trash to the rest of the illiterates of your land.
Shut up, this is what mining of skull means, not jargons from ordinary OSU inferior igbo. If the way we comment on the thread on a forum owned by yoruba son angers you. End yor OSU life in river niger. You can try me n see how how i take you around ur least side. We all know the race who specializes in feasting on human flesh.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Strikethem: 12:51am On Dec 31, 2018
IkonBee:
[s][/s]

Incoherent rants of a waste-man.
Osu inferior yaminriano, shut your osu mouth. Am i the superior igbo that is discriminating against you n ur family. Abeg no carry your osu bad luck to my side.

3 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Ikechu12: 1:06am On Dec 31, 2018
Strikethem:
See this mumu, you do research. I dare you and i will expose you from A to Z. Is it because i do not want to open details on how you people sleep with corpse n drinking the water used in cleaning it. Who takes clifford orji family serious. Dare me and see how i will open u publicly. U this ordinary OSU. Research my foot.

I dare you to expose in details with verifiable links, not Nollywood plots, of igbo sleeping with corpse. I quadruple dare you. Open it.
Why are you afraid to say it. I repeat say that your worthless rubbish again so I can your expose your Afonja asses. Repeat that your stupid statement again. Dare me to do what? Say it in details
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by firstolalekan(m): 1:17am On Dec 31, 2018
post=74298492:
For those of us that have forever been wondering, what OSU OUTCAST means, here you have it.....

The Osu caste system, which is prevalent in Anambra, Imo and some areas in Ebonyi states, discriminates against families which in the ancient times were dedicated to the local deities because human sacrifice was required to cleanse the land of abominations. The Osu were mostly slaves and other categories of persons considered as “inferior”, as opposed to those who were “freeborn” or “Nwadiala”. As outcasts, they were discriminated against and not accepted by the mainstream of society.

In spite of efforts by clerics, political leaders and social crusaders to consign this system to the dustbin of history it is still being stubbornly observed in many communities. In 1956, the Eastern Nigerian House of Assembly had passed a law abolishing it, but it was not implemented.

There is no reason for this caste system to remain in these modern times. Slavery was abolished long ago, and no human sacrifice is going on anywhere in Nigeria except as a criminal offence linked to some dark cults. The constitution of Nigeria declares every person free and equal before the law. All Nigerians are constitutionally entitled to fundamental human rights, which include the right to freedom from discrimination and the dignity of the human person.

To end the Osu and similar inhuman caste systems wherever they are being practiced in Nigeria requires a combination of cultural reforms, law enforcement and active sensitisation. Serious legal actions need to be taken against any form of discrimination and dehumanisation.

We call on traditional authorities and churches in Igboland to prevail on every community still practising the Osu caste system to abolish it.

SAY NO TO OSU CASTE SYSTEM and let us all live as brothers and sisters in peace.
#EndOsu
Thank you!
So, what qualifies one as OSU?
To me, all igbos are osus.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by firstolalekan(m): 1:19am On Dec 31, 2018
venai:
If you can sleep with an Osu girl but can not marry her just because she is Osu, then you are a Fool. I repeat, you are a fool.

This is the best news coming from Imo state since Rochas Okorocha became their governor.

I am not Osu, but I can marry one. If e vex you, you are a fool.
It's a fuckìng lie.
You're an osu.
ALL IGBOS ARE OSUS

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by firstolalekan(m): 1:22am On Dec 31, 2018
Fatherofdragons:
Good development

All these yorubers dancing around this thread with stupidity don't ever forget that your so called yoruber Moslems are always fighting against Christians, traditionalists even the masquerades sef. Just let that sink into your oblong heads.
Shut up osu alusi pig.
Useless people

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by firstolalekan(m): 1:25am On Dec 31, 2018
Fatherofdragons:

I know that you are yoruber, so you better Just pack one side before I open una chapter now.
Shut up osu
Osu calling another person osu
And when they pray to God, they want him to listen...

USELESS PEOPLE
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by firstolalekan(m): 1:27am On Dec 31, 2018
Corrinthians:
Go and :Popen the chapter on another thread. This thread is about OSU! grin
As far as I know, ALL IGBOS ARE OSUS.

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by firstolalekan(m): 1:38am On Dec 31, 2018
Gozzzy:
Free talk... all these na Shakara.... you dare not bring OSU into Ezeoke Nsu in Ehime Mbano LGA of imo state, where all are free born and they dread anything OSU, like the sin that brought man out of garden of Eden....
but wait o... why have Yorubas flooded this thread can't these people stay off igbo matters for once o, I forgot... Igbo affairs gives them relevance.... ndi uchu
Ndi osu. How foolish are you people?

Your brothers will travel to USA and marry a so-called black American (a confirm slave), there won't be problem. But here, you call your brothers osus.
Chai
I weep for igbos

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by firstolalekan(m): 1:43am On Dec 31, 2018
IkonBee:

Yerrobaws should leave Igbos alone and face the new development that's ravaging the south wasste.
Ndi osu
That grave skull mining happened in Ebonyi 2 weeks ago.
Shame on you people.
Osu Kill you there

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by firstolalekan(m): 1:45am On Dec 31, 2018
[quote
post=74300199]Those ppl wicked ooo...
Am a living witness
I no dey pity d treatment levelled on dem..
Osu bu Osu.. [/quote]
Chai

And this one wants Biafra

Very shameless tribe

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by firstolalekan(m): 1:47am On Dec 31, 2018
gr8tone:
Osu plenty on nairaland lol

The fact is
ALL IGBOS ARE OSUS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Mathelosopher: 3:40am On Dec 31, 2018
No need losing one's head, what will be must surely finds its way - the only constant thing in life is change nothing lasts forever so cheers!
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Mathelosopher: 3:52am On Dec 31, 2018
Let that nonsense be permanently abolished
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 4:17am On Dec 31, 2018
lgbo amaka! anything is possible if you have money.
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Mathelosopher: 5:08am On Dec 31, 2018
I just wonder if Biafra finally comes how every state in it will not agitate for its own republic. We Igbos still have a lot to learn and it must start from cultural dogma - we have a looong way to go please let's help ourselves.
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by rummmy: 5:17am On Dec 31, 2018
Igbo Amaka, afonja your pepper soup is ready ooooo.
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by ImperialYoruba: 5:20am On Dec 31, 2018
Orisirisi! Everyday is a breaking news out of yanminri land. Which kind thing is this? These people don come again with their wahala.

Before they crowned him have they first obtained permission from Aguleri, the son of Eri, the grandson of Gad and a native of Jewish land, to see if okay to crown a slave in autonomous Ngwaland?

Chineke!!.. angry
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 5:42am On Dec 31, 2018
post=74298492:
For those of us that have forever been wondering, what OSU OUTCAST means, here you have it.....

The Osu caste system, which is prevalent in Anambra, Imo and some areas in Ebonyi states, discriminates against families which in the ancient times were dedicated to the local deities because human sacrifice was required to cleanse the land of abominations. The Osu were mostly slaves and other categories of persons considered as “inferior”, as opposed to those who were “freeborn” or “Nwadiala”. As outcasts, they were discriminated against and not accepted by the mainstream of society.

In spite of efforts by clerics, political leaders and social crusaders to consign this system to the dustbin of history it is still being stubbornly observed in many communities. In 1956, the Eastern Nigerian House of Assembly had passed a law abolishing it, but it was not implemented.

There is no reason for this caste system to remain in these modern times. Slavery was abolished long ago, and no human sacrifice is going on anywhere in Nigeria except as a criminal offence linked to some dark cults. The constitution of Nigeria declares every person free and equal before the law. All Nigerians are constitutionally entitled to fundamental human rights, which include the right to freedom from discrimination and the dignity of the human person.

To end the Osu and similar inhuman caste systems wherever they are being practiced in Nigeria requires a combination of cultural reforms, law enforcement and active sensitisation. Serious legal actions need to be taken against any form of discrimination and dehumanisation.

We call on traditional authorities and churches in Igboland to prevail on every community still practising the Osu caste system to abolish it.

SAY NO TO OSU CASTE SYSTEM and let us all live as brothers and sisters in peace.
#EndOsu
Thank you!

Where is Pa Ben Nwabueze? It is very sad that the Ibos still believe in this very bad, dehumanised, traumatic and very uncivilised cultural believe that has affected the mindsets, mental well-being and spiritual subconsciousness of most Ibos. I mentioned Pa Nwabueze because he is now old and his generation has failed to address and stop this dehumanising culture. Also, I noticed Pa Nwabueze supported the Okija shrine when Police invaded the Shrine some years ago on the invitation of a Catholic community .

Thanks to Nairaland for educating us on the meaning of Osu. I attended a Federal University in an Ibo land several years ago, I never knew the meaning of Osu and I believed none of us (non Ibos) in the University know the real meaning as explained on nairaland. In our days in the University, calling somebody an Osu was worse than being a leper. In fact, everyone denied being an Osu. They avoided being in the same hostel room with them, they said they are under curse. They attributed all manners of insult and bad luck to them. Because of this, everybody denied being an Osu, despite the denial, they still accused some students of being Osu. As strangers in the Campus (as we were treated ), we did not quite understand what was happening as we never experience such practice in our life.

Ibos, so, there are inferior Ibos?

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by altereg0: 7:36am On Dec 31, 2018
It was quite funny last year, when the libya slave trade was exposed, and I saw some guys in support of the osu caste system, crying foul about the "sub-human" treatment meted on the west Africans by the north African country. Mind, the libyans are of different skin tone, religion, nationality and culture to the immigrants. Now there's this prejudice against people of your own tribe, of your own community, but they think it's okay. Hypocrisy!! if you are going to preach equality and acceptance, you start from home. If you believe your neighbour is not human enough because of an archaic tradition, you should also accept it as a norm and keep silent, when people of different skin colours discriminate against you or your kinsman.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Dpharisee: 7:51am On Dec 31, 2018
nonny001:
The osu system in Igbo land can never end because the real osus are cowards. YES! They can't come out and fight this rubbish to a standstill. Once the talk of osu is brought up, all of them will hide. And to think that they are one of the most educated people in Igbo land beats my imagination.

Another man is discriminating against you, chancing you, in this 21st century. And you accept. How won't it continue?

Somebody will say he or she will not marry you and you will be feeling self-pity. Men, f**k self-pity. If the person doesn't want to marry you let him go to hell.

I remember when I was in primary school, they used to call me long neck. Each time they call me long neck, I will either start throwing tantrums or hide myself. So what they do is that anytime they want to humble me, they will call me long neck. But the day that they called me long neck and I looked at them and said, "Oh, yes! I have long neck. And so what?" That day, long neck ended.

Osus, you need to come out and fight this menace. I mean, you are not handicapped. If you guys come out, there are lots of Igbos who don't believe in this nonsense. We will support you. But to expect us to be at the battlefront? Mbanu. That one can't happen.

I can't be in the battlefront of another man's battle. I no fit dey carry another person matter for my head like say na my own. I can only support. We go support you.

The so-called osus are educated and well connected. So they should use their education, brains, and connection to fight this thing. Else, I don't see it ending o.

Such a barbaric tradition.

It has ended, don't allow yourself to be the first to receive the plague placed on the promoters at Agukwu Nri embarassed
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Strikethem: 8:59am On Dec 31, 2018
Ikechu12:

I dare you to expose in details with verifiable links, not Nollywood plots, of igbo sleeping with corpse. I quadruple dare you. Open it.
Why are you afraid to say it. I repeat say that your worthless rubbish again so I can your expose your Afonja asses. Repeat that your stupid statement again. Dare me to do what? Say it in details
Nollywood ke, is this one ok. Who watches nollywood. Even at that, no be wetin you do in your culture you dey display. I have dared you mumu. The same way u keep denying OSU cast in your race. Try me. I said try me n see your Osu self.

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 31, 2018
Unik3030:
guy u are very correct, igbos discriminate among themselves alot though I am Yoruba but I witnessed what happened between an anambra guy n an ebonyi guy during service. me n this anambra guy happen to be d same batch so we stayed in d same lodge, so after d following batch were mobilized it was another igbo guy from ebonyi. so d anambra guy was not around when d ebonyi guy came around so I told d anambra guy about d new guy n he asked me which tribe n I told him igbo, he asked further that which state I said ebonyi, I was surprised when that anambra guy called d other guy village bastard.he started bragging that those ones are less igbo n u have to see d way he relates with that guy. even Corp members from other tribes were surprised how this guy was always looking down on the other guy as inferior. igbos discriminate alot n its very bad

Well anchored and camouflaged lie from the pit of hell.

God save you.
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 31, 2018
nonny001:
The osu system in Igbo land can never end because the real osus are cowards. YES! They can't come out and fight this rubbish to a standstill. Once the talk of osu is brought up, all of them will hide. And to think that they are one of the most educated people in Igbo land beats my imagination.

Another man is discriminating against you, chancing you, in this 21st century. And you accept. How won't it continue?

Somebody will say he or she will not marry you and you will be feeling self-pity. Men, f**k self-pity. If the person doesn't want to marry you let him go to hell.

I remember when I was in primary school, they used to call me long neck. Each time they call me long neck, I will either start throwing tantrums or hide myself. So what they do is that anytime they want to humble me, they will call me long neck. But the day that they called me long neck and I looked at them and said, "Oh, yes! I have long neck. And so what?" That day, long neck ended.

Osus, you need to come out and fight this menace. I mean, you are not handicapped. If you guys come out, there are lots of Igbos who don't believe in this nonsense. We will support you. But to expect us to be at the battlefront? Mbanu. That one can't happen.

I can't be in the battlefront of another man's battle. I no fit dey carry another person matter for my head like say na my own. I can only support. We go support you.

The so-called osus are educated and well connected. So they should use their education, brains, and connection to fight this thing. Else, I don't see it ending o.

Such a barbaric tradition.

Noted
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 31, 2018
jafol:

With all im reading about this OSU thing, im thinking its the igbos that are OSU that are giving their daughters in marriage to YORUBAS or outsider cos they know their igbo brethren will not allow them marry each other?
Im just thinking hmm

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 31, 2018
Unik3030:
nobody care how u rank yourself, u can go to hell n stay there forever. it's u igbos that u have superior (anambra) n inferior (other states) igbos, Na u come get osu n freeborn ehn. u hate n segregate yourself, y? n instead of facing your problem squarely u prefer to start shouting Afonja believing it's an insult. in case u don't know Afonja is a surname just like we have people who answers names like buhari,obasanjo n Co. so when u call someone afonja it's not an insult at all so that's why people ignore u cuz its like u calling me my name n u believe u are taunting me with it. u don't know anything

I read no meaning in any of ur post.
Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Dareal90s(m): 12:15pm On Dec 31, 2018
Ikechu12:

I rather be an Osu than a Afonja anyday, anytime, anywhere. In igbo, Osus are seen and ranked higher than Yorubas so a Yoruba calling an igbo an Osu isn't seen as an insult considering how una are ranked in our eyes.
Now we knw who u ar, Mr OSU you brothers said u r casted.

Yoruba is not mate with both OSU nd d self acclaimed Igbo's, that's y u will always run down to Yoruba land before u can make it in life. See ur momma chest filled with hair nd her yam leg. Ur popas head flat like tennis bat. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by Dareal90s(m): 12:23pm On Dec 31, 2018
Ikechu12:

https://naijagists.com/missing-abobaku-returns-to-ooni-of-ife-palace-man-to-be-buried-alive-with-the-king-today/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64jZH2_ato

Go cry to your people that exposed how barbaric una are
So this is d buried alive u ar talking about? Daft OSU, maybe that's ur OSU brothers coz I see no concrete evidence that this happened in Yoruba land. Mind u if an abobaku is to b buried in Yoruba land there is nothing like video coverage or pictures and they dont get buried during d day so go tell ur hungry blogger brother to save d clips from his fathers burial for his grandchildren.

Now lemme educate u, once an Oba dies his Abobaku dies too, Abobaku is spiritually attached to the Oba so no need of killing or burying anyone alive. Simple.

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos by jafol(m): 12:29pm On Dec 31, 2018
Osagyefo98:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Isnt that true? Its easy for those igbos to give away their daughters cos they know their Osu status in igboland.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

90-year-old Emir Of Daura, Faruk Umar Marries 20-year-old Bride (Pictures) / About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes / Elizabeth Odunlami: 'Ooni Enitan Ogunwusi Promised Me Marriage, Disappointed Me'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.