Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,523 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Tears Still On Lagos Roads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears Still On Lagos Roads (2123 Views)

Tears! Still Thinking About This Pretty Girl Facing Death Penalty In China. Pics / Tears! Still Thinking About Greece. Why Did This Happen To Greece? Terrible.. / Presidency Reacts To ACN On Jonathan Use Of Lagos Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Nobody: 5:28am On Aug 13, 2010
[size=28pt]Tears still on Lagos roads
[/size]

Lagosians urge govt to tackle pot-holes on roads in the metropolis
DRIVING out of Apapa Wharf towards Mile Two on Tuesday, Duro Akanni could not help noticing the innumerable pot-holes on the Trinity Bus Stop area of the highway.

“It had rained the previous day and there were these pot-holes full of water.
Two cars were trapped in the really big holes and other motorists made it a point of duty to avoid the others or get trapped as well.

That was when I remembered that the road leading to my Ayobo home was no better.
When I voiced out my thoughts, my companion in the car, Femi , said the road to his Ijegun, home in the Ikotun area , was in a deplorable condition, too.”
Indeed, several roads in the Lagos metropolis are in a poor shape, though the Lagos State Government has said they would be rehabilitated as soon as the rainy season comes to and end.
For now the numerous potholes slow down traffic and ultimately lead to gridlocks.

So many of such pot-holes are evident at Ilasamaja Bus Stop on Oshodi-Apapa Expressway , both sides of Oshodi-Oworosoki Expressway close to Barracks Bus Stop, several spots along Oke Afa-Ejigbo-Ikotun Road, many of the roads in Okota as well as a section of Kingsway Road by AP Filling Station in Ikoyi.
The same is true in Ajao Estate off Murtala Mohammed International Airport Road.
In other areas of the metropolis, however, the problem is not so much of pot-holes as lingering road projects that appear to have been stalled.
While residents, in some instances, blame the contractors for the delay, the Lagos State Ministry of Works and Infrastructure says , the rainy season should take some of the blame too.
In the Ikotun area, where the Lagos State Government approved and awarded about four road rehabilitation and improvement projects, complete with drains and side-walk , the one that links Old Garage with Egbe Road now appears to have stalled and residents are not happy about it.
“This road project was started with the others that have now been completed in Ikotun such as the one that links Ikotun Roundabout to Igando Road .
“Our prayer is that the contractor does not abandon it as it is , because they would be creating more problems for us”, a resident of the area said.
Residents of Okota are also complaining that the roads in the area are in various degrees of deplorable state.
A resident in the area, Ayo Oye said: “I have lived in this area for over 10 years and this has been the nature of roads in Okota. Look at Bayo Oyewole Street, it is so bad that motorcycle operators do not like carrying passengers to that area.
“It was only recently that Ago Palace Way was rehabilitated. But, potholes have re-surfaced at some strategic places such as Balogun Bus Stop and others.”
In Ipaja , Ayobo area of Lagos, residents have all but come to accept that bad roads in the area have come to stay.
From Abesan Estate Gate, motorists suffer hardship especially at peak hours, when people are returning from their respective places of work .
Some commuters have resorted to passing through Mosan Bus Stop to link Abesan Estate in their attempt to avoid the constant traffic jam.
According to Wale Ayanwale, a regular motorist on the route , “ the poor condition of the road at Abesan Gate has remained a headache for us as we now wade through flooded potholes and craters.
“Motorists now avoid the stretch of road from Nitel to Akinyele and all the way to Fatolu Bus Stop, opting instead to go through Baruwa which of course is a much longer journey.”
Speaking to The Guardian about the road, a civil servant, Mr. Adigun Edun said:
“The road between Estate and Ayobo requires immediate attention as residents are passing through severe hardship.
“The condition of the road from Ayobo going towards Ishefun is deplorable. Whenever it rains , the many pot-holes and craters are filled with up and mny vehicles, cars as well as trucks are trapped.”
Residents of Ajeromi Ifelodun Local Council Development Area are asking the state government to intervene and ease their plight over Mosafejo and Awodiora roads.
According to Yemi Aderemi, “the road has been in a bad condition for a long time . Our plea to the council has not yielded any result .
“That is why we are asking Governor Babatunde Fashola to remember us and direct the Ministry of Works to do something.”
But, in a recent statement issued by the spokesman Ministry of Works and Infrastructure, Mr. Fola Adeyemi, only the rainy season stands between the government and completion of the road projects already embarked upon.
He noted that some contractors who could still do some work had remained on site , such as on the Egbeda-Ikotun Road Dualisation project which is on-going.
He urged Lagosians to be patient, giving an assurance that the government’s desire for good roads across the state would be realised.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19861:tears-still-on-lagos-roads&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by SeanT21(f): 5:59am On Aug 13, 2010
Anytime I click on a news report, its always posted by YOU. You work overtime to keep us updated. grin
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Nobody: 6:08am On Aug 13, 2010
lol
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by slap1(m): 7:23am On Aug 13, 2010
Well Lagosians can always come to Aba and enjoy good roads, lol.
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by philip0906(m): 7:30am On Aug 13, 2010
@op
Not undermining what Fashola has done(atleast with d accolades he receives),I still haven't seen what Fashola has done in Lagos state.I haven't felt d impact.I only c it on T.V,newspapers or when I go 2 d Island.But as 4 d mainland,absolutely nothing.I went thru Berger,Ogba,Ikeja,Iyana-Ipaja,Egbeda,Ikotun,I did not pass thru any single motorable road undecided
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by phantom(m): 9:03am On Aug 13, 2010
they should quit whining. dude has more important things to do.
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by otokx(m): 10:53am On Aug 13, 2010
Is it only in Lagos state?
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by phantom(m): 11:14am On Aug 13, 2010
if lagos has 100 roads,85 r bad.
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by felele(m): 1:26am On Aug 14, 2010
philip0906:

@op
Not undermining what Fashola has done(atleast with d accolades he receives),I still haven't seen what Fashola has done in Lagos state.I haven't felt d impact.I only c it on T.V,newspapers or when I go 2 d Island.But as 4 d mainland,absolutely nothing.I went thru Berger,Ogba,Ikeja,Iyana-Ipaja,Egbeda,Ikotun,I did not pass thru any single motorable road undecided

You're obviously an enemy of progress. Haven't you heard that Eko o ni baje? Don't you know where Eko is? Don't you know that Eko starts and stops on the Island? Look at this man o!!! Egbeda, Ikotun, Iyana-Ipaja, those are not Eko. You hear??

Those ones can baje, but not Eko, specifically, Marina. In fact, Marina o ni baje!!!!
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Kobojunkie: 1:34am On Aug 14, 2010
ROFLMAO!!

I thought you were being serious there for a second . . .
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by ikeyman00(m): 1:38am On Aug 14, 2010
You're obviously an enemy of progress. Haven't you heard that Eko o ni baje? Don't you know where Eko is? Don't you know that Eko starts and stops on the Island? Look at this man o!!! Egbeda, Ikotun, Iyana-Ipaja, those are not Eko. You hear??

Those ones can baje, but not Eko, specifically, Marina. In fact, Marina o ni baje!!!!
not goood enough for people that pay taxes

like i said i drove on some of those road last dec and i wasnt impressed
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Viaguru: 2:16am On Aug 14, 2010
Next time I visit Naija I will use tank to move arround, period!
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by DisGuy: 3:13am On Aug 14, 2010
philip0906:

@op

go and meet the governor of that state, aint you heard there is Lagos state and there's lagoon state grin
I also heard some areas have been marked PDP areas so they dont get nothing but loads of proposal and paper planning wink
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Nobody: 3:39am On Aug 14, 2010
Thursday night was BAAAD . holdup EVERYWHERE no escape. wait in office till 9pm, no escape. i was still lucky, i got home at 10.30. awon boiz for lekki did not enter home before 12/1am
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by tpiah: 3:48am On Aug 14, 2010
Reports say that the pace of construction work on Lagos roads has slowed down considerably due to the recent cuts in the state government budget by the House of Assembly. Last May, the House cut the budget by 10 percent and rejected the N74.777 billion supplement requested by Governor Babatunde Fashola.

As a result, road projects in areas such as Egbe-Idimu, Ikotun-Igando, Ejigbo, Isolo and Amuwo-Odofin Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) have been affected. Also affected are projects in Isolo-Isheri-Osun-Ijegun Road, Association Avenue Road, Shasha-Orisunbare-Ejigbo Road, Yekini-Lawal Road, Ikotun-Isheri Road, Ipaja-Ayobo Road and Iyana-Ipaja-Isheri Road.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5586913-146/lagos_road_works.csp

well, forpeace, gbengapro, kobojunkie, ileke idi, true face of lagos, other faceless entities, etc etc, are all making headway in their jobs, namely hindering the pace of lagos development.

so let's all tighten our belts and bear it courageously.

after all, the aforementioned people are all complaining for the good of everybody.
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Kay17: 3:59am On Aug 14, 2010
The drainage for the Yaba and Oyingbo road is pathetic. Also potholes are rearing there ugly heads
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Kobojunkie: 4:12am On Aug 14, 2010
oyb:

Thursday night was BAAAD . holdup EVERYWHERE no escape. wait in office till 9pm, no escape. i was still lucky, i got home at 10.30. awon boiz for lekki did not enter home before 12/1am

How do you deal with that though? That is just about one of the major reasons I have yet to make my own move as well. That I would have to tremendously slow down pace to get things down really gets under my skin. Anyways, how is business? You need to update me on how you have been able to adjust dude . . . How is business going now?
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by DisGuy: 2:42pm On Aug 14, 2010
Very interesting link Tpiah posted

for some reason the budget cut did not affect 'lagoon state'

As a result, road projects in areas such as Egbe-Idimu, Ikotun-Igando, Ejigbo, Isolo and Amuwo-Odofin Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) have been affected. Also affected are projects in Isolo-Isheri-Osun-Ijegun Road, Association Avenue Road, Shasha-Orisunbare-Ejigbo Road, Yekini-Lawal Road, Ikotun-Isheri Road, Ipaja-Ayobo Road and Iyana-Ipaja-Isheri Road.

seems all those bonds are for projects in the 'new Lagos state'
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by philip0906(m): 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2010
felele:

OMG!!! i thought u were serious at first grin grin grin
Dis Guy:

go and meet the governor of that state, aint you heard there is Lagos state and there's lagoon state grin
I also heard some areas have been marked PDP areas so they dont get nothing but loads of proposal and paper planning wink
how true. . . embarassed
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 14, 2010
felele:

At first, I was like wtf? grin grin grin grin
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by phantom(m): 5:13pm On Aug 14, 2010
hmm, babapupa is mysteriously absent.
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 14, 2010
phantom:

hmm, babapupa is mysteriously absent.
grin grin grin

He's singing "Eko o ni baje lai lai" on another site grin grin
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by phantom(m): 5:22pm On Aug 14, 2010
lol, lagos MUST not spoil ooo!lol
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by oderemo(m): 7:08pm On Aug 14, 2010
hmm, babapupa is mysteriously absent
nepa don take LIGHT where PAPAPUPA dey.
the manna pass my neibor don spoil.
grin grin grin too.
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by EzeUche22(m): 7:10pm On Aug 14, 2010
I will never complain about the pot holes in Washington DC. My car would not be handle Nigerian roads even though my car is built FORD tough. grin
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by doyin13(m): 10:10pm On Aug 14, 2010
all these people complaining of hold up. . .

Still baffles me why many people bother using
car in naija.

Surely you will get to your destination a lot faster
using a bike or moped sef. GO AND BUY ONE AND
HOLDUP WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST.
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by bawomolo(m): 10:37pm On Aug 14, 2010
smh@ sif ejinia olowoilu driving a moped.
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by bkbabe97y(m): 12:31am On Aug 15, 2010
EzeUche22:

I will never complain about the pot holes in Washington DC. My car would not be handle Nigerian roads even though my car is built FORD tough. grin

Broke nicca! U drive a Ford?!!? lol. Disgrace!
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Nobody: 1:45am On Aug 15, 2010
doyin13:

car in naija.

You think it's everyone that sabi to ride bicycle? See his hippopotamus mouth like bike. *rolls eyes* cheesy
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Kobojunkie: 1:47am On Aug 15, 2010
doyin13:

car in naija.

a what? Riding bike or moped on lagos roads? Now you are just asking them to commit suicide . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Nobody: 1:49am On Aug 15, 2010
I doubt old women and men would want to "swag" on a moped.
Re: Tears Still On Lagos Roads by Kobojunkie: 2:09am On Aug 15, 2010
I would ride a bike if it was safe. . . . I couldn't even walk when I was back in Ikorodu. I had to keep watching out for Okada and lorries jotting out from nowhere. Try jogging down the road and you are likely to find it an adventure. And I am not even talking of the main roads here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nass Election Results Coming In: / Confessions Of Undergraduate Nigerian Kidnappers / Apo 6 Killer Zakari Biu Now Commisioner Of Police Responsible For Escape Of Maddala Bomb Suspect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.