Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,631 members, 7,827,349 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) (2988 Views)

Poll: Who's the better analyst?

Yemi Kolapo: 20% (3 votes)
Ijeoma Nwogwugwu: 53% (8 votes)
I don't know them, and don't care: 26% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Dasuki: Are We Back To The Dark Ages? THISDAY. / Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Namadi Sambo Vs Yemi Osinbajo, Who Would You Vote For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by Jarus(m): 12:46pm On Aug 14, 2010
This is for people that are very conversant with Nigerian newspapers, especially their column writers.
Yemi Kolapo maintains a column with the Punch where, on Fridays, she writes on various political and economic issues.
Ijeoma Nwogwugwu is the editor of ThisDay on Saturday and maintains also maintains a column with ThisDay, on Fridays too, I think.

Both analysts are very knowledgeable in political economy. Their analyses are deep. During the Sanusi bank reforms debate, both wrote extensively on the subject, with Ijeoma writing three series on 'Is it a crime to owe?'. Yemi also participated actively in the debate. Earlier, Ijeoma had written extensively on the Power sector brouhaha, throwing her weight behind Ridwan Babalola.

For other people who follow the analyses of these columnists, who do you think is the better analyst?
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by illusion2: 6:37pm On Aug 14, 2010
Jarus:

This is for people that are very conversant with Nigerian newspapers, especially their column writers.
Yemi Kolapo maintains a column with the Punch where, on Fridays, she writes on various political and economic issues.
Ijeoma Nwogwugwu is the editor of ThisDay on Sunday and maintains also maintains a column with ThisDay, on Fridays too, I think.

Both analysts are very knowledgeable in political economy. Their analyses are deep. During the Sanusi bank reforms debate, both wrote extensively on the subject, with Ijeoma writing three series on 'Is it a crime to owe?'. Yemi also participated actively in the debate. Earlier, Ijeoma had written extensively on the Power sector brouhaha, throwing her weight behind Ridwan Babalola.

For other people who follow the analyses of these columnists, who do you think is the better analyst?

Suraj bawo ? Ijeoma is a bit more detailed & obviously better looking.

She has my vote any day tongue
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by olabukola: 7:06pm On Aug 14, 2010
Don,t know them but i think i will give it to yemi as we are ahead of them. tongue

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by Jarus(m): 8:32pm On Aug 14, 2010
Mo kuku wapa, Illusion.
I think Ijeoma is more adept in Economic analysis. She's also a senior journalist than Yemi. But I find Yemi's anlyses more agreeable than Ij's, probably because I share same sentiments with Yemi on most issues.

I also agree Ij is more beautiful. Lol
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by DeepSoul(f): 9:45pm On Aug 14, 2010
Although I used to be a Thisday addict, I'd have to go with Yemi.

Ijeoma gets a bit too technical sometimes whilst forgetting say no be everybody go fit understand wetin she dey talk.

Yemi's column is more reader-friendly.

I however enjoy columns by Simon Kolawole and Segun Adeniyi (b4 Yar Adua carried him away)
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by Sharonf(f): 5:01pm On Aug 15, 2010
I can analyse issues by myself thank you.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by onyengbu1(m): 5:34pm On Aug 15, 2010
olabukola:

Don,t know them but i think i will give it to yemi as we are ahead of them. tongue

grin this guy sef.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by illusion2: 8:24pm On Aug 15, 2010
olabukola:

Don,t know them but i think i will give it to yemi as we are ahead of them
undecided

Deep Soul:

Ijeoma gets a bit too technical sometimes whilst forgetting say no be everybody go fit understand wetin she dey talk.Yemi's column is more reader-friendly.
I however enjoy columns by Simon Kolawole and Segun Adeniyi (b4 Yar Adua carried him away)

True talk,she gets too technical at times,but then again Thisday caters to a certain strata of our society.

I completely agree that Simon is probably the most readable of them all,but then he doesn't venture into the analysis & counter intuitive prognosis arena.

I recall one of his most hilarious titles some years back - [size=18pt]SOLUDO-BANKING IS NOT LUDO ![/size] lol , how clearer can one get ? cheesy
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by invisible2(m): 8:37pm On Aug 15, 2010
@olabukola, who are the 'we' and who are the 'them'
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by coalcoal1(m): 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2010
Yemi Kolapo any time any day
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by mbulela: 10:54pm On Aug 15, 2010
Until i stopped reading Nigerian columnists, it was Ijeoma.
One of the reasons why i stopped reading her (before i stopped reading all Nigerian columnists in general) was her refusal to apologise after goofing during the SLS storm.
She made a comment that was untrue, i wrote a comment severally as a concerned reader asking for an apology for all those who she deceived by her name dropping,but i guess she is too arrogant to stoop so low.
Irrespective of the fact that i no longer read her, i admire her intelligence and penetrative analysis.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by illusion2: 7:19pm On Aug 16, 2010
mbulela:

One of the reasons why i stopped reading her (before i stopped reading all Nigerian columnists in general) was her refusal to apologise after goofing during the SLS storm.
She made a comment that was untrue, i wrote a comment severally as a concerned reader asking for an apology for all those who she deceived by her name dropping,but i guess she is too arrogant to stoop so low.
Irrespective of the fact that i no longer read her, i admire her intelligence and penetrative analysis.
On the contrary,i wrote her an email sometime ago & she did apologise. . . you probably missed the edition she corrected herself. . .
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by mbulela: 7:21pm On Aug 16, 2010
^^^^
Maybe i did.
Cheers,
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by Jarus(m): 8:52am On Aug 17, 2010
mbulela:

Reminds me of Obj cheesy
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by mbulela: 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2010
which of them was among the crowd of 40 that collected transport money from Minna?
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by asha80(m): 10:11pm On Aug 23, 2010
mbulela:

which of them was among the crowd of 40 that collected transport money from Minna?

Ijeoma Nwogwugwu
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by mbulela: 10:28pm On Aug 23, 2010
^^^
it seemed Thisday had the highest number of editors in the house that day?
I will not be too surprised.
After all, they are presently rehabilitating Azu, formerly of Punch.
If the unrefuted accusations that were raised about Azu was raised about a politician, TELL and THE NEWS would have gone to town with titles like 'Face of a crook' or such sensational titles and covers.
Now it is one of their own, Thisday has turned to a rehabilitation centre.
All these journalists are good at is blowing bug grammar and practising flowery prose on a gullible public.
I said it earlier, the corruption in Nigerian police and Nigerian politician are overtly obvious due to the nature of their jobs.
The Nigerian journalist are no better.
After going to Minna and posing in the front seat of the group foto (i just saw it mins ago), Ijeoma has the effrontery to write the epistle she wrote today?
Such guts!!!

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by mbulela: 10:31pm On Aug 23, 2010
A journalist that accepts gifts is a journalist that sells the news.
A journalist that sells the news is a crook.
There is no diplomatic way of putting it.

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by asha80(m): 10:36pm On Aug 23, 2010
I find it quite amusing that you guys seem to to see these colunmnists as some kind of saints because they write what the masses want to hear in their write ups.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by mbulela: 10:37pm On Aug 23, 2010
the same way some NUJ  leaders collected transport money from Akwa Ibom state governor.
Thank God for kidnappers, that which was meant to be hidden was unravelled.
A journalist that accepts gifts is a journalist that sells the news.
Before you believe everything you read in the Nigerian media, ask yourself, WHO WAS THE HIGHEST BIDDER IN THIS STORY?
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by Jarus(m): 6:21am On Aug 24, 2010
TJust hearing about the Minna gifts now. Na wa o.
Mbulela, I'm now left with no other option than to accept your accusation that I place too much trust on Nigerian columnists, especially with Azu and Abati-gates.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by oladayo042: 4:05pm On Aug 24, 2010
Yemi Kolapo always.
Minna gift don cost Adebolu Arowolo (Editorial Board Chairman, Punch) his job. Who's next?
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by AloyEmeka5: 10:22pm On Aug 24, 2010
Who are they?
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by mbulela: 9:39am On Aug 25, 2010
Jarus:

TJust hearing about the Minna gifts now. Na wa o.
Mbulela, I'm now left with no other option than to accept your accusation that I place too much trust on Nigerian columnists, especially with Azu and Abati-gates.
Thanks for humbly accepting the accusation wink
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by johnie: 10:26am On Aug 25, 2010
1. Channels TV sports desk regularly invites Gara Gombe, Gombe state FA chairman, to Sports Tonight
t where he exposes a lot of the undercurrents in Nigerian football. On monday night, he went overboard by speaking about the ignoble role of some journalists. When the heat was getting too hot, the presenters had to cut him short. The same presenters give him free reign when he exposes admninistrators and others. People protect their own.

2. These revelations are one of the reasons I like to quote sources on my post so you the reader make up your mind what angle the writer is coming from.

There was a post about the escalator at MMA2 chopping off people toes. When I read the story and the comments on it, I wondered if the poster thought of the possibility of the story being sponsored given Bi-courtney's (the concessionaire) many battles. Anyone familiar with the Azu story would know that Babalakin (Bi-courtney's chairman) and the company were mentioned in the Azu saga (Azu wrote some negative stuff about Bi-courtney without even getting the other side of the story).

While I generally agree with Jarus's analysis of the editorial bent of the country's news papers, I have learnt to read as many sources as I can get on any single story. This also explains why I post the same news story from as many sources as I can get.

I would therefore encourage posters of news stories to cite their sources and post from as many sources as possible.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by johnie: 10:43am On Aug 25, 2010
Re-read my post and noticed some typing errors. Sorry guys, I'm posting from a phone -not very convenient to edit!

I attempt to correct the errors in the original post.
Channels TV's sports desk regularly invites Gara Gombe, Gombe state FA chairman,  to Sports Tonight
where he exposes a lot of the undercurrents in Nigerian football. On monday night, he went overboard by speaking about the ignoble role of some journalists. When the heat was getting too hot, the presenters had to cut him short. The same presenters give him free reign when he exposes admninistrators and others. People protect their own!

These photo-op revelations are one of the reasons I like to quote sources on my posts so that you the reader can make up your mind what angle the writer is coming from.

There was a post about the escalator at MMA2 chopping off people's toes. When I read the story and the comments on it, I wondered if the posters thought of the possibility of the story being sponsored given Bi-courtney's (the concessionaire) many battles.

Anyone familiar with the Azu story would know that Babalakin (Bi-courtney's chairman) and the company were mentioned in the Azu saga (Azu wrote some negative stuff about Bi-courtney without getting the other side of the story).

While I generally agree with Jarus's analysis of the editorial bent of the country's news papers, I have learnt to read as many sources as I can get on any single story. This also explains why I post the same news story from as many sources as I can get.

I would therefore encourage posters of news stories to cite their sources and post from as many sources as possible.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by johnie: 11:01am On Aug 25, 2010
I didn't know that the Minna gift has cost Adebolu Arowolo (Editorial Board Chairman, Punch) his job. That's serious! Who broke this story anyway? I would be pleased but very surprised to know it was broken by a Nigerian newspaper!

We need more of such exposes as we approach the elections and beyond. Maybe people (politicians, journalists and others) would be more circumspect and professional knowing they can't do things with impunity anymore.

I shudder when I think of the dark days when we did not have independent news media. E.g the days we had only NAN, FRCN, NTA and papers controlled by a few mostly-tribal interests.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by mustafar1: 12:49pm On Aug 25, 2010
transport fare dey run belle o.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by Jarus(m): 1:56pm On Aug 25, 2010
I think it's a bold step by The Punch, especially after that Steve Ayorinde's expose on Azu did them a great damage.
I wonder why these guys failed to learn from the recent Azu-gate.
Re: Ijeoma Nwogwugwu(Thisday) Vs Yemi Kolapo(Punch) by johnie: 4:10pm On Aug 25, 2010
^
It's a deeply entrenched culturen not limited to any particular media house.

You would be surprised that such "largesse" is actually considered a perk like in other institutions (public and private)

As one person is being removed, his/her succeessor thanks God for the "favour". Like they say, "if one person own no spoil, another person own no go good",which I don't subscribe to by the way.

Like someone asked on another thread, who is worse, govt or the people?

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Reveals Four-year Plan To Boost LPG Consumption / GEJ is Struggling To Develop Nigeria; Which leaders Under-developed Nigeria? / Omg! Father Mbaka, Buhari And All Nigerians Must Hear This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.