Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) (10564 Views)

Was Ojukwu A Warrior And A Hero? / Why Was Awolowo Not Good To Be President But Peter Obi Is? / Why I Was Denied A Second Term - Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jan 29, 2019
L

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by MajesticIgbo(m): 8:16pm On Jan 29, 2019
Slonge2:
how convenient? So now azikiwe is a nationalist huh! Y’all should call a spade a spade, azikiwe and akintola we’re both northern ass lickers, Awolowo was an unapologetic yorubaist, and we love him for that. And y’all should thank Awolowo for reducing your population also, he did a good job

Azikiwe, a "northern arselicker" became Nigeria'd first senate president, Governor-general and, president while, Akintola was just a mere premier. Now do the maths.

Awolowo was no bigger politician than Okpara and Ibiam. The highest level of his political career came when he became a federal minister of finance.

Your statement about Igbo population makes no difference cos Igbos are the largest ethnic group in Nigeria. Igbos come second in number after, the indigenous folks in every state in Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jan 29, 2019
G

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by ISLAMBAD: 8:19pm On Jan 29, 2019
Slonge2:
how convenient? So now azikiwe is a nationalist huh! Y’all should call a spade a spade, azikiwe and akintola we’re both northern ass lickers, Awolowo was an unapologetic yorubaist, and we love him for that. And y’all should thank Awolowo for reducing your population also, he did a good job

Such Very hopeless and skull digger you are.
Igbos are 14.1 percent while skull mining vulture are struggling with 13.9 percent population in Nigeria.
Despite fighting war, Igbos are still ahead of you and will remain so until you miners mine yourselves into extinction. Who knows, if you continue with your identity, you will be dragging 3rd position with Ijaws and Edos by next 20- 25 yrs in population
Igbos are not fighting you, rather we are enjoying how you guys are swallowing each other daily basis.
What of Maternal mortality is is rampant in your region ?... It's a story for another day..
Watch your back, you are going down on daily basis.
Frogs!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jan 29, 2019
T

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2019
R

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by meccuno: 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2019
Slonge2:
i don’t think they are personally, but the popular sentiments here in Rivers state is the Igbo are trouble makers, and they try to enforce their wishes on their host. Infact, the igbos were chased from Ogoni Land in the early 1990’s for this exact reason. And they don’t sell land to the Igbos in some parts of Akwaibom and even Ogoni and Okrika. I actually love the Capitalist nature of the Igbo, and feel they are a abhorred because of that, but y’all will keep on getting the hate you give till you learn to live and let live.
i lived in PH too. and as an Igbo dude, i can comfortably tell you that Igbos are no land grabbers. what they do is offer the host money to buy lands that they either use for business or for residential purposes. The reason why it seems that they are usually at logger heads is because of they over confident nature and a believe in their self. i have these issues with them but it doesn't translate to grabbing peoples land. there are so many Igbo communities in the Niger delta so i doubt an igbo man would want to steal from his brothers. it might be an information to you that igbos buy lands from within the SE and i have never heard of an anambra man say that the imo man is grabbing his land. mind you igbos have houses in asaba. and you dont hear complaints from that quarter. the igbos are the only tribe from the major tribe that hasn't gotten its land by conquest. they are conservative in that sense. Finally, the igbo man will always be Igbo. you cannot force a tribe to behave the same way a yoruba man or a hausa man behaves its not just possible and with their nature it would be resisted with force. everyone has his/her attributes. but if Nigeria doesnt feel comfortable then they should allow them form their own country since you feel that they are a nuisance to others.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by MajesticIgbo(m): 8:27pm On Jan 29, 2019
Slonge2:
let us talk facts man, from the census figures, Igbo a are the third most populous tribe in Nigeria, after the Hausa’s and Yorubas. The truth is that Azikiwe was a northern ass liker, he took sides against his people during the civil war.
If Awolowo did same, he would have been an outcast in Yoruba land.

What census figures, the one with goats and cows included? Man be serious cos you're clowning already.

Moreover, Nigerian has not conducted any census based on ethnicity so, how do we certify to who's the largest?

Believe me, nobody likes Azikiwe in Igbo land. You stay in Portharcourt so, you should know this.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by LZAA: 8:28pm On Jan 29, 2019
immhotep:

Some people will not like this grin

Cc lzaa velocity25 imperialyoruba yarimo sarrki
Edupedia and pythonamaka esp grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Csami(m): 8:29pm On Jan 29, 2019
Ardar:

Unfortunately all these things you wrote are just plain bull sh*t. I live in Port Harcourt and I can also confidently tell you that those ikwere's, ogoni's, ijaws etc living there too don't see eye to eye especially ikwere and ijaw.

Yoruba over Lords indeed grin you must one of them dirty meat sellers or taxi drivers messing up the place. Let me reach you a lesson with facts, your hero awo [ which also means frog in igbo] died like a worthless rat after been witch hunted by northerners.

Imagine a yoruber calling someone smelling when you yorubers are the champions of dirtiness and diseases, lol was not the other day that we saw some yoruber people scooping groundnut oil straight from the gutter? Once again over Lords indeed.

Drug trafficking? Dude are you serious? Do you think we are still living in the era of been brainwashed by yoruber dominated media? Bitc*h we all have internet access now and we all can clearly see how heads are rolling in the South was*te every god damn day.

And next time use more paragraphs, no one can read that brainless sh*t you just wrote without his or her head turninoniown, product of awo's free education indeed.

In as much as I am tempted to reply that asshole, I rather ask you out on a date.

Dial it down with this their ethnic bs

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by mightyhazell: 8:34pm On Jan 29, 2019
MajesticIgbo:

We all know that Azikiwe was a nationalist unlike awolowo, a local champion, so you're just stating mere facts.

You should tell us why Akintola went against the Yoruba agenda. He refused to resign his positions as the premier of the west and also, as the deputy leader of AG.

Akintola was submissive and subservient to Balewa. You should really thank Igbos for killing Akintola cos, man was ready to sacrifice many Yoruba souls just to remain premier and vrenture into national politics.
Nigerian soldiers killed Akintola

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by PharoahIII: 8:36pm On Jan 29, 2019
[color=#006600][/color]
gidgiddy:

What a narrative. First of all, Zik was Governor General of Nigeria and it's first President. Zik was always senior to Tafawa Balewa, both in government and politics. Ojukwu led us in a war of freedom and independence. That's to show you we value our freedom and we are willing to die for it. Ojukwu led us to fight for our freedom. Not like you people who readily became slaves of the Sokoto Caliphate because you had no "Ojukwu" who had the heart to fight. The SS is not a people, it is a geopolitical zone created by Abacha, and it has a large chunk of Igbos/Igboids/Igbo speaking people in it.

Igbos are the only ones of the 3 major tribes who have actually done anything to try and stand on their own. They fought a war to be on their own. They are the only ones who are agitating Today to be on their own. Only God knows that an Hausa man will never have the balls to declare Arewa Republic same as Oduduwa Republic is a joke for most Yorubas.

Igbos have no dignity but they are the only who fought for 3 years to exit the nightmare known as "One Nigeria"? The have no sense of worth but they had enough to fight for their freedom for 3 years?

You are funny.

Firstly I'd like to put this issue of Ojukwu fighting for the people of Biafra to bed. The major reason that led to the war was Ojukwu's refusal to accept Gowon as head of state. After Ironsi the next in line was Brig. Babafemi Ogundipe who was the Chief of Staff, Supreme Military Hq (the defacto V/President). Gowon was effectively the third-in-command as he was the Chief of Staff, Army Hq. But because he and Gowon were promoted Lt/Cols on the same day (April 1, 1964), he felt he couldn't take orders from him, even though Gowon had received his commission as a 2/Lt (in Oct 1957) before Ojukwu even joined the Army (For those who do not know Ojukwu joined the Army as an NCO). But because Ojukwu was a very conceited and egotistic individual he felt he wasn't subordinate to Gowon. And when Gowon had called on the morning of July 29, 1966, to inform him of his intention to take over the government as Brig. Ogundipe, a Yoruba man, had scampered, Ojukwu said and I quote, 'Jack, I don't know what you mean but you cannot take over here in the East, maybe in Lagos but certainly not in the East.'

Ojukwu failed to realise that there were other much senior officers of Southern origin who were overlooked by Ironsi in appointing him Military Governor of Eastern Region in 1966. I cannot remember all of them, but there was Lt/Col Alex Madiebo; Col Philip Effiong; Col Hilary Njoku outgoing Cmdr 2 Batallion, Lagos; Col George Kurobo, Cmdr 3 Batallion, Kano and so on. I cannot remember all their names.

And when Biafra's defeat was imminent he fled in the dead of the night with his entire family and his Mercedes Benz car, is that who you call a hero?
For those who may think I am an Afonja, sorry to disappoint you I am Igbo, in fact, I was named after Ojukwu. my first name is Emeka

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by ISLAMBAD: 8:36pm On Jan 29, 2019
Slonge2:
It doesn’t change the fact that igbos are still the third largest. Don’t forget the numbers getting killed in South Africa and Asia daily for drug peddling, or the ones killed by fake drugs in igboland, or the ones eaten by your ngwa brothers
Yoruba Muslim empty skull..

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jan 29, 2019
F

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jan 29, 2019
[quote author=ISLAMBAD post=75239933

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by PharoahIII: 8:41pm On Jan 29, 2019
PharoahIII:
[/color]

Firstly I'd like to put this issue of Ojukwu fighting for the people of Biafra to bed. The major reason that led to the war was Ojukwu's refusal to accept Gowon as head of state. After Ironsi the next in line was Brig. Babafemi Ogundipe who was the Chief of Staff, Supreme Military Hq (the defacto V/President). Gowon was effectively the third-in-command as he was the Chief of Staff, Army Hq. But because he and Gowon were promoted Lt/Cols on the same day (April 1, 1964), he felt he couldn't take orders from him, even though Gowon had received his commission as a 2/Lt (in Oct 1957) before Ojukwu even joined the Army (For those who do not know Ojukwu joined the Army as an NCO). But because Ojukwu was a very conceited and egotistic individual he felt he wasn't subordinate to Gowon. And when Gowon had called on the morning of July 29, 1966, to inform him of his intention to take over the government as Brig. Ogundipe, a Yoruba man, had scampered, Ojukwu said and I quote, 'Jack, I don't know what you mean but you cannot take over here in the East, maybe in Lagos but certainly not in the East.'

Ojukwu failed to realise that there were other much senior officers of Southern origin who were overlooked by Ironsi in appointing him Military Governor of Eastern Region in 1966. I cannot remember all of them, but there was Lt/Col Alex Madiebo; Col Philip Effiong; Col Hilary Njoku outgoing Cmdr 2 Batallion, Lagos; Col George Kurobo, Cmdr 3 Batallion, Kano and so on. I cannot remember all their names.

And when Biafra's defeat was imminent he fled in the dead of the night with his entire family and his Mercedes B[color=#006600]
enz car, is that who you call a hero?
For those who may think I am an Afonja, sorry to disappoint you I am Igbo, in fact, I was named after Ojukwu. my first name is Emeka

A slight correction George Kurobo was the CMDR 3 Batallion in Kaduna NOT KANO, whilst Ojukwu was CMDR 5 Batallion, Kano before he was appointed Military Gov Of the Eastern Region

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by munazafar(m): 8:50pm On Jan 29, 2019
CyynthiaKiss:

Read your comment again.
SMH.
that manchin head dey shake
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Fidelismaria: 8:54pm On Jan 29, 2019
Hmmm

I still don't understand why this two tribes called Yoruba and Igbo hate each other so much

Can someone enlighten me?

What's the cause of this hatred ?

Why do they hate each other so much?
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by LZAA: 9:01pm On Jan 29, 2019
PharoahIII:
[color=#006600][/color]

And when Biafra's defeat was imminent he fled in the dead of the night with his entire family and his Mercedes Benz car, is that who you call a hero?
Apart from kurobo,all the officers u called fought for biafra during the war
Ojukwu never took no benz to ivory coast and gowon himself admitted he would have killed ojukwu if he was captured
And finally with or without ojukwu,the civil war would have happened
Why do u think murtala mohammed and nuhu nathan were hell bent on seceeding after the counter coup
Oh and u are not igbo

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by MajesticIgbo(m): 9:06pm On Jan 29, 2019
mightyhazell:
Nigerian soldiers killed Akintola

Who are the Nigerian soldiers?

1 Like

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by Viergeachar: 9:13pm On Jan 29, 2019
ISLAMBAD:

This one must be eternally hopeless. Your illiteracy is incurable.
Accept my sympathy....

Rants of a pathetic pigiyeasternr!

He thinks everyone is a gala hawker or ex like himself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by PharoahIII: 9:37pm On Jan 29, 2019
[color=#006600][/color]
LZAA:

Apart from kurobo,all the officers u called fought for biafra during the war
Ojukwu never took no benz to ivory coast and gowon himself admitted he would have killed ojukwu if he was captured
And finally with or without ojukwu,the civil war would have happened
Why do u think murtala mohammed and nuhu nathan were hell bent on seceeding after the counter coup
Oh and u are not igbo

Kurobo fought on the Biafran side before defecting to the Nigeria side. Ojukwu did take a Benz to Gabon, he first fled to Gabon in the company of Madiebo who was the Chief of Army Staff of the Biafran Army.
I think to some extent we Igbos have been unfair to the Northerners who had accommodated us. For example, Ojukwu and Zik were both born in Zungeru, Niger State. In 1965 Maj-Gen Chris Welby-Everald, the outgoing British GOC, Nigeria Army had recommended to Balewa to appoint Brig Femi Oundipe, a Yoruba man, as Nigeria's first indigenous GOC, but Balewa and Alh Muhammadu Ribadu (his Minister of Defence) ignored this advice and appointed Ironsi, an Igbo man, as the first indigenous GOC, Nigerian Army, even though Brig. Zakariya Maimalari, a Fulani and Commander 2 Brigade, Lagos was more suited to and perhaps more qualified for the role than Ironsi. As of 1966, there were 5 battalions in the Nigerian Army,
1 Battalion, Enugu, was commanded by Lt/Col Adekunle Fajuyi, a Yoruba man
2 Battalion, Lagos, was commanded by Col Hilary Njoku, an Igbo man
3 Battalion, Kaduna, was commanded by Col Kurobo, from present-day Rivers State, Don't forget there was nothing like Rivers State then as it was part of the Eastern Region
4 Battalion in Ibadan was commanded by Lt Col Abogo Largema, a Northerner
5 Battalion in Kano was commanded by the Ikemba Nnewi himself, Ojukwu

This meant 3 battalions were commanded by Easterners, one by a Yoruba and one by a Northerner

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by LZAA: 9:54pm On Jan 29, 2019
PharoahIII:
[color=#006600][/color]

Kurobo fought on the Biafran side before defecting to the Nigeria side. Ojukwu did take a Benz to Gabon, he first fled to Gabon in the company of Madiebo who was the Chief of Army Staff of the Biafran Army.
I think to some extent we Igbos have been unfair to the Northerners who had accommodated us. For example, Ojukwu and Zik were both born in Zungeru, Niger State. In 1965 Maj-Gen Chris Welby-Everald, the outgoing British GOC, Nigeria Army had recommended to Balewa to appoint Brig Femi Oundipe, a Yoruba man, as Nigeria's first indigenous GOC, but Balewa and Alh Muhammadu Ribadu (his Minister of Defence) ignored this advice and appointed Ironsi, an Igbo man, as the first indigenous GOC, Nigerian Army, even though Brig. Zakariya Maimalari, a Fulani and Commander 2 Brigade, Lagos was more suited to and perhaps more qualified for the role than Ironsi. As of 1966, there were 5 battalions in the Nigerian Army,
1 Battalion, Enugu, was commanded by Lt/Col Adekunle Fajuyi, a Yoruba man
2 Battalion, Lagos, was commanded by Col Hilary Njoku, an Igbo man
3 Battalion, Kaduna, was commanded by Col Kurobo, from present-day Rivers State, Don't forget there was nothing like Rivers State then as it was part of the Eastern Region
4 Battalion in Ibadan was commanded by Lt Col Abogo Largema, a Northerner
5 Battalion in Kano was commanded by the Ikemba Nnewi himself, Ojukwu

This meant 3 battalions were commanded by Easterners, one by a Yoruba and one by a Northerner

U see this rubbish u wrote up there is why i said u are not igbo
The only reason igbos were the majority in the officer corps was that they were more educated than other regions and yorubas then even till now never liked joining the army
That's the same reason the north filled the other rank corps and ahmadu bello went round to encourage northerners to join the military
Accomodate who,as far as i know the igbos in the north and west are there for business and nothing more and only represent a fraction of igbos worldwide
Cc immhotep velocity25 imperialyoruba passingshot
Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by oilPUSSY(f): 10:05pm On Jan 29, 2019
LZAA:

U see this rubbish u wrote up there is why i said u are not igbo
The only reason igbos were the majority in the officer corps was that they were more educated than other regions and yorubas then even till now never liked joining the army
That's the same reason the north filled the other rank corps and ahmadu bello went round to encourage northerners to join the military
Accomodate who,as far as i know the igbos in the north and west are there for business and nothing more and only represent a fraction of igbos worldwide
Cc immhotep velocity25 imperialyoruba passingshot
Thank you.
I don't know why I always laugh whenever I hear that word "Accommodation ". As if they brought Igbos inside their houses and start feeding them.
These people should know that as long as Nigeria remains one, Igbos have every right to live anywhere they like, buy properties as they want., vote and be voted for which is happening in Lagos for example.
They day other Nigerians will start using that word "Accommodating " and it would be accepted is the day Nigeria will be balkanised, then Igbos have their own country by then. Yoruba and Hausas can now boast that they are accommodating Igbos which I know that Igbos won't find it offensive because it's a reality.
But as for now.. that word "accommdation " is null and void.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by gidgiddy: 10:13pm On Jan 29, 2019
PharoahIII:
[color=#006600][/color]

You are totally wrong. After the death of Ironsi, Brigadier Ogundipe was the highest ranking officer in addition to being chief of General staff. He should have been the next to take over and Ojukwu insisted that it should be so. However, the coup plotters insisted it should be Gowon, who was far junior to Ogundipe. Gowon assumed power, retired Ogundipe, and Ojukwu was not happy with this. This was one of the reasons why the then President of Ghana, General Joe Ankrah got Gowon and Ojukwu to sit down in Aburi and find a solution to their problem. After 2 days of deliberating, Gowon and Ojukwu reached an agreement which both men signed. In fact, before they signed, President Ankrah read out the agreement to both men and asked if they were happy with it, both men said yes. In return for Ojukwu recognising Gowon as head of state and keeping the Eastern Region in Nigeria, Gowon would keep to the Aburi agreement.

When Gowon and Ojukwu returned to Nigeria, Gowon started refusing to implement some parts of the agreement. On the 26th of May 1967, Gowon broke the most important part of the agreement by abolishing the 4 Regions and creating 12 states without consulting anybody. The Aburi agreement held that Gowon could only do this if the 4 Military Governors of time agreed with such a move. This was the begining of the 'divide and rule' system the North uses to dominate the rest of Nigeria to this day

With the Aburi agreement broken by Gowon, Ojukwu had no other choice than to declare the Easter Region as Biafra. It was either he did that or let his people become slaves of the North.

Gowon's breaking of the Aburi agreement is what led to the war.

Another thing I want to say is that in terms of seniority, Ojukwu was senior to Gowon. Yes it is true that Gowon became an officer before Ojukwu joined the Army but the reason Ojukwu became senior to Gowon was that Ojukwu entered the civil service before Gowon.

Ojukwu became an assistant district officer in in 1955. When Ojukwu became an Army officer in 1957, the authorities considered this an extension of his civil service and backdated his commission date to 1955. Gowon on the other hand became a commissioned officer in 1956. So while it is true that Gowon Joined the Army before Ojukwu, in the eyes of the Government, Ojukwu is senior to Gowon

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by globemoney01: 10:25pm On Jan 29, 2019
Slonge2:
point of correction, I am a Yoruba man, and a Christian at that
Are we still talking about awo who wanted to be president of Nigeria for 10 seconds just like Tinubu is aiming for in 2023? Afonjas no ho wound me with laugh grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by PharoahIII: 10:36pm On Jan 29, 2019
[color=#006600][/color]
gidgiddy:

You are totally wrong. After the death of Ironsi, Brigadier Ogundipe was the highest ranking officer in addition to being chief of General staff. He should have been the next to take over and Ojukwu insisted that it should be so. However, the coup plotters insisted it should be Gowon, who was far junior to Ogundipe. Gowon assumed power, retired Ogundipe and Ojukwu was not happy with this. This was one of the reasons why the then President of Ghana, General Joe Ankrah got Gowon and Ojukwu to sit down in Aburi and find a solution. After 2 days of deliberating, Gown and Ojukwu reached an agreement which both men signed. In fact, before they signed, President Ankrah read out the agreement both men and asked if they were happy with it, both men said yes. In return for Ojukwu recognising Gowon as head of state and keeping the Eastern Region in Nigeria, Gowon would keep to the Aburi agreement.

When Gowon and Ojukwu returned to Nigeria, Gowon started refusing to implement some parts of the agreement. On the 26th of May 1967, Gowon broke the most important part of the agreement by abolishing the 4 Regions and creating 12 states without consulting anybody. The Aburi agreement held that Gowon could only do this if the 4 Military Governors of time agreed with such a move. This was the begining of the 'divide and rule system the North uses to dominate the rest of Nigeria to this day

With the Aburi agreement broken by Gowon, Ojukwu had no other choice than to declare Biafra. It was either he did that or let his people become slaves.

Gowons breaking of the Aburi agreement is what led to the war.

Another thing I want to say is that in terms of seniority, Ojukwu was senior to Gowon. Yes it is true that Gowon became an officer before Ojukwu joined the Army but the reason Ojukwu became senior to Gowon was that Ojukwu entered the civil service before Gowon.

Ojukwu became an assistant district officer in in 1955. When Ojukwu became an Army officer in 1957, the authorities considered this an extension of his civil service and backdated his commission date to 1955. Gowon on the other hand became a commissioned officer in 1956. So while it is true that Gowon Joined the Army before Ojukwu, in the eyes of the Government, Ojukwu is senior to Gowon

Please do endeavour to read my comment very well before replying. I did say that after Ironsi, Brig-Gen Ogundipe was the next in line. But the general chose to abscond because he feared for his life. And Gowon by virtue of his position as COAS was the defacto 3rd in command. Gowon was commissioned on his 21st birthday Oct 1955, not in 1956 as you will have people believe. Ojukwu received his commission in March 1958. How can you say that because Ojukwu joined the civil service he was superior to Gowon? FYI the army is not part of the civil service but rather part of the PUBLIC service. Please this is a very wrong analogy
And if you must know it was Major Murtala who planned and executed the second coup, not even Gowon. Gowon was simply a beneficiary as the then most senior officer of Northern origin in the army. The young Northern officers who were involved in that coup (Capt Theophilus Danjuma, Lt Buhari, Babangida and co) wanted Murtala to take over and not Gowon, Murtala ALLOWED Gowon to be head of state. It was seen as a Northern coup, a reprisal for the Jan 15 coup, ergo they felt only a Northerner could become head of state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by PharoahIII: 10:43pm On Jan 29, 2019
[/color]
gidgiddy:

You are totally wrong. After the death of Ironsi, Brigadier Ogundipe was the highest ranking officer in addition to being chief of General staff. He should have been the next to take over and Ojukwu insisted that it should be so. However, the coup plotters insisted it should be Gowon, who was far junior to Ogundipe. Gowon assumed power, retired Ogundipe, and Ojukwu was not happy with this. This was one of the reasons why the then President of Ghana, General Joe Ankrah got Gowon and Ojukwu to sit down in Aburi and find a solution to their problem. After 2 days of deliberating, Gowon and Ojukwu reached an agreement which both men signed. In fact, before they signed, President Ankrah read out the agreement to both men and asked if they were happy with it, both men said yes. In return for Ojukwu recognising Gowon as head of state and keeping the Eastern Region in Nigeria, Gowon would keep to the Aburi agreement.

When Gowon and Ojukwu returned to Nigeria, Gowon started refusing to implement some parts of the agreement. On the 26th of May 1967, Gowon broke the most important part of the agreement by abolishing the 4 Regions and creating 12 states without consulting anybody. The Aburi agreement held that Gowon could only do this if the 4 Military Governors of time agreed with such a move. This was the begining of the 'divide and rule' system the North uses to dominate the rest of Nigeria to this day

With the Aburi agreement broken by Gowon, Ojukwu had no other choice than to declare the Easter Region as Biafra. It was either he did that or let his people become slaves of the North.

Gowon's breaking of the Aburi agreement is what led to the war.

Ogundipe was not retired, please get your facts right. He ran away first to Ghana and then resurfaced in Britain. Ojukwu and Lt/Col David Ejoor(Military Gov of Mid-Western Region) begged him profusely to take over govt but he refused because he was scared of being killed. Gowon later appointed him Nigeria High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, a post he left in 1970.

[color=#006600]

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Awolowo Denied A National Burial Unlike Ojukwu A Seccesionist?..(pic) by oilPUSSY(f): 10:51pm On Jan 29, 2019
PharoahIII:
[color=#006600][/color]

Please do endeavour to read my comment very well before replying. I did say that after Ironsi, Brig-Gen Ogundipe was the next in line. But the general chose to abscond because he feared for his life. And Gowon by virtue of his position as COAS was the defacto 3rd in command. Gowon was commissioned on his 21st birthday Oct 1955, not in 1956 as you will have people believe. Ojukwu received his commission in March 1958. How can you say that because Ojukwu joined the civil service he was superior to Gowon? FYI the army is not part of the civil service but rather part of the PUBLIC service. Please this is a very wrong analogy
And if you must know it was Major Murtala who planned and executed the second coup, not even Gowon. Gowon was simply a beneficiary as the then most senior officer of Northern origin in the army. The young Northern officers who were involved in that coup (Capt Theophilus Danjuma, Lt Buhari, Babangida and co) wanted Murtala to take over and not Gowon, Murtala ALLOWED Gowon to be head of state. It was seen as a Northern coup, a reprisal for the Jan 15 coup, ergo they felt only a Northerner could become head of state.
grin grin
Typical Afonja.
How can a man with balls between his two legs leave what belongs to him and ran away even without anybody chasing him?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari Signs Three Bills In Renewed Fight Against Money Laundering, Terrorism / Igboman Invested In Islamic Banking / Lagos Is Safe For Igbos - Joe Igbokwe (ACN Publicity Secretary)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.