Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,112 members, 7,821,820 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Protesters Block Lekki Expressway - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesters Block Lekki Expressway (3035 Views)

Protesters Block Lagos Assembly Over Abnormal Electricity Tariff (photo) / Protesters Block EFCC Office, Want Lamorde Sacked / Protesters Block Road To Rivers Assembly Over Plan To Cancel Council Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by naso2(m): 2:43pm On Aug 20, 2010
SanFranc:

As usual, we can't fight the man with the weapon. Its too late to fight Fashola or Tinubu on this issue, the only request we have is for them to make the toll affordable. The N100 - N250 per trip speculation is way too high. If the fee is affordable, we'll get used to it before long especially if our travel time is considerably reduced.
Fashola should also try and complete the Lekki -Ikoyi bridge as well the Famolo bridge extention in order to reduce the horrible traffic between 1004 flats and Falomo bridge.

You are joking, right? They(Fashola and his Oga) are accountable to the electorate. There is simply no justification for adding one lane to a 2-lane road and start tolling it for 30yrs. PPP my foot.

PPP should have started with a completely new alternative road.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by tpiah: 4:01pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^ask the people travelling ife-ibadan route how much difference adding an extra lane made.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On Aug 20, 2010
must_a_far:

the toll is coming 27yrs late. the toll plaza built on that road initailly should have been used for what it was built for. once lekki-epe road is done, we'll move to tolling as many bridges in lagos as possible. third mainland, eko bridge, we'll build one to apapa and toll it, we'll build one to ikorodu and toll it. we'll be tolling lagos badagry express by the way too, we are already looking into how we'll toll lagos abeokuta expressway. the only road that might be safe is ikorodu road but i cant guarantee it wont get tolled.

I say toll it all. If we must milk already burdened tax-payers, **in terminator voice*** Milk them all!

ROFLMAO!!
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by naso2(m): 4:43pm On Aug 20, 2010
tpiah:

^^ask the people travelling ife-ibadan route how much difference adding an extra lane made.

I am really surprised that people like you seem to be supporting this display of rascality by the govt. This is total disdain for those that elected them. What you are saying now is that a govt comes with one cooked up "PPP" and says certain parts of the state can no longer be accessed for free, without any alternative and you expect people to celebrate?

If they want PPP , let them build the 4th Mainland bridge and collect even 2000 per trip. The difference then will be that people will still have options. But for this one I want to say NO-WAY.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by tpiah: 4:45pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^ stop being so shortsighted and oversabi.

the lagos govt doesnt know what it's doing, right?
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by naso2(m): 4:51pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^
Madam telepathic. The Lagos state govt knows better than everyone else. There is no point consulting. Project management that considers the interest and buy-in of stakeholders is foolishness to lagos state govt. see ur logic?
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by tpiah: 4:57pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^and your evidence the lagos govt consulted nobody is?
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by Akanbiedu(m): 4:58pm On Aug 20, 2010
As somebody said before, people should decide whether they want development or not!
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by naso2(m): 5:10pm On Aug 20, 2010
tpiah:

^^and your evidence the lagos govt consulted nobody is?

Why not take it the other way. What evidence do you have that the people were carried along, with all facts brought to the open for them to decide from the outset?

Akanbi_edu:

As somebody said before, people should decide whether they want development or not!

Oga, If the cost of "development" is to pay toll for 30 years at three different points over a 49 km stretch , all because a 2-lane road was expanded to three, leaving residents with no alternative, then let development not come. Nuff said
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Aug 20, 2010
na_so:

Why not take it the other way. What evidence do you have that the people were carried along, with all facts brought to the open for them to decide from the outset?

Oga, If the cost of "development" is to pay toll for 30 years at three different points over a 49 km stretch , all because a 2-lane road was expanded to three, leaving residents with no alternative, then let development not come. Nuff said

No . . . Let it come, as long as we also require every other resident of the state who drives anywhere to fork over an additonal [size=13pt]$40 dollars a month for the next 30 years[/size], after paying taxes. If it is TRULY the price of development, then let it be the case that anyone, and everyone who drives into or through any borrough in Lagos would to be subject to the same conditions.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by GAR3TH(m): 5:50pm On Aug 20, 2010

[b]And that is why Nigeria is not developed becuase no one wants to sacrifice. I pay a toll of $11 (N1650) every time i cross the Verrazano Bridge. or $5.50 (N825) every time i take the Queens Midtown Tunnel. New Yorkers aren't rich. These structures were built about 70 years ago and are being tolled. The reason why they toll is to provide security, maintenance, efficiency etc for the structure and passengers.  tolling is the reason why these structure are still around today, up to 70 years old. taxes can only go so far but tolling will get the job done. so when i hear people complaining about a freaking toll, I say, do you want that Highway to become like the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in 2 years? Just pay the toll for god sake.

people are saying all they did was add 2 lanes. 2 lanes make a BIG difference with traffic. they are also adding ramps to the bridge that connect VI to ikoyi. not to mention the traffic lights, road signage, road markings, street cleaning etc that they did.

and as for the alternative route, why in the hell will some one waste money to build a road that will A- take away money from the lekki expressway, B- will create more traffic becuase no one wants to pay a simple toll, C- goes against urban plaining, D- just were will this new route be located? you will then have to knock down houses.

if they didnt toll who will maintain the highway? your taxes? well have your taxes maintained the 3rd mainland bridge? or the badagry expressway? no.

Its just a toll!!! smiley[/b]
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by johnie: 6:34pm On Aug 20, 2010
Good points GAR3TH.

These are the reasons I have always feared that the alternative coastal road will either not get done in time (read 20 years?) or will not be done at all.

Why would they provide a toll free alternate when they want to re-coup their investment quickly?

Add to that that the cost of building a brand new road on such a terrain as the shore-line will be humungous.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by johnie: 6:41pm On Aug 20, 2010
Btw gar3th, there are no serious right of way issues along the coast so the issue of pulling down houses or relocating utility lines do not arise.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by naso2(m): 6:46pm On Aug 20, 2010
johnie:

Good points GAR3TH.

These are the reasons I have always feared that the alternative coastal road will either not get done in time (read 20 years?) or will not be done at all.

Why would they provide a toll free alternate when they want to re-coup their investment quickly?
Add to that that the cost of building a brand new road on such a terrain as the shore-line will be humungous.

quickly? for 30 years? I comment my reserve. hmmmmmmm
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On Aug 20, 2010
roflmao!
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by ChineduEZ: 8:25pm On Aug 20, 2010
[size=30pt]I JUST HAD AN

O.RGASM[/size]
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by Akanbiedu(m): 9:25am On Aug 21, 2010
subsidized power supply, subsidized fuel, free use of road, subsidized water supply, subsidized education, free this, free that. Does it take a genius to know that its this kind of reasoning that is killing Nigeria's economy? generally, people who get things free don't use their creativity. Any attempt to get the private sector in partnership with government, at this time, must be supported by well-meaning Nigerians.

Governor Fashola should stand his ground on this one. Sometimes, people don't know what is good for them. This is where a leader must be firm even at the risk of losing elections. Oshodi market example is a good example.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by ChineduEZ: 11:34am On Aug 21, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

subsidized power supply, subsidized fuel, free use of road, subsidized water supply, subsidized education, free this, free that. Does it take a genius to know that its this kind of reasoning that is killing Nigeria's economy? generally, people who get things free don't use their creativity. Any attempt to get the private sector in partnership with government, at this time, must be supported by well-meaning Nigerians.

Governor Fashola should stand his ground on this one. Sometimes, people don't know what is good for them. This is where a leader must be firm even at the risk of losing elections. Oshodi market example is a good example.

Gbaaam gbaarammmbabababmmababaaa GBAM! Simple. Finish.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by DisGuy: 1:00pm On Aug 21, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

So oshodi was a ppp arrangement too?

When Dangote bided for during the sale of the refineries i don't see many people talking about supporting Govt. effort to part privatise some infrastructure

the kind of reasoning killing Nigerians is the ability to just sit down as long as it is not affecting you and the inability to ask questions regarding your tax!!

Would Fashola be kind enough to sign a state FOI bill

considering Lagos is world apart from the other states; will the state government be Bold enough to publish (online) all tenders, contracts and Local government accounts

Fashola for second term
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by Kobojunkie: 4:03pm On Aug 21, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

I am sorry but why does it seem that you do not have a grasp of what the situation is here at all? YOu continue to speak of free this and free that as if these people are not paying government for these facilities to be put in place. You 've been going on and on about free this and that and I wonder what your fuming is really about here. I don't get why you find it hard to grasp that these people are already PAYING for government to provide them with roads already.

I know you are not the only one spewing this but come on. You all seem so irrationally unreasonable I don't even know where to start when dissecting this line of reasoning. And  I am still to be convinced it is worth my time to even attempt that.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by Mariory(m): 5:07pm On Aug 21, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Spot on! Well said.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by mustafar1: 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2010
Some people on here have not been consistent with their argument with regards this project over the months this debate has been going on. Anyway that aside, gareth gave the newyork city bridges and tunnel example and I notice no one argued against it. I hear people scream "alternative routes need to be provided". not in all cases can alternative routes be provided. In some cases the alternate routes lead u this far and u hit another toll plaza so u really can't escape it.
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by omoabike: 10:22am On Aug 22, 2010
must_a_far:

Some people on here have not been consistent with their argument with regards this project over the months this debate has been going on. Anyway that aside, gareth gave the newyork city bridges and tunnel example and I notice no one argued against it. I hear people scream "alternative routes need to be provided". not in all cases can alternative routes be provided. In some cases the alternate routes lead u this far and u hit another toll plaza so u really can't escape it.
GAR3TH mentioned the Verrazano Bridge(completed in 1964)linking Staten Island as being a toll bridge.He also mentioned the Queens Midtown Tunnel. It is true all the bridges connecting Staten Island to New York are toll bridges. However he did not mention that there is the Staten Island Ferry which has been free since 1997. This is an alternative for someone who lives in Staten Island and works in Manhattan so that he doesn't have to pay the $11 toll everyday to go to work.
Once in Lower Manhattan he can hop on the New York Subway which is an efficient mass transit system so he really does not needs to drive a car to work as someone in Lekki will have to.
In fact the ferry system had access for vehicles for a fee of $3 but this was stopped because of the September 11 2001 terrorist attack. Also there is an express bus service between Staten Island and New York for half the toll as well as between Queens and New York so people still have choice of either paying the tolls or joining a bus to their destination in New York. In addition there is a passenger train services between Queens and New York.
As I understand Lekki Expressway does not yet has BRT so the people along that route are at the mercy of the Danfos and since the Danfos will have to pay toll too then the transport fare may increase.
Look friends, we all want Lagos to develop but it should be done the right way. I say once again that there is no where in the world where you toll the only access road to a community and not provide an alternative route.
Like some people have said here, the right thing would have been to build a new road and then toll that so people who needs the fast travel time such roads afford them will pay toll to use it.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/ferrybus/statfery.shtml#facts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staten_Island_Ferry
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by mustafar1: 1:48pm On Aug 22, 2010
How about those coming in from NJ? Is there a free ferry as well? Would the residents along that axis embrace a ferry service or even a light rail service if those r made the alternatives?
Re: Protesters Block Lekki Expressway by omoabike: 6:51pm On Aug 22, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^
Your question about whether the people in Lekki would adopt a light rail or ferry service as alternatives is moot becuase the LASG has not said anything about providing these alternatives.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Bloody Revolution Needed In Nigeria / GEJ's Top Priorities Are Healthcare And Education / Enugu State Governor Impregnates First Lady’s Younger Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.