Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,857 members, 7,810,285 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) - Culture (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (131441 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 5:59am On Sep 17, 2012
Abagworo: I do not foresee an Okrika man heading PHALGA unless all these unfriendly assertions are stopped. Diobu is the most populous part of Port Harcourt LGA and is 95% Ikwerre+Igbos. D-line to Rumukalagbo to Oromenike to Oroazi to Ogbum nu Abali to Nkpogu to 3 quatre of Trans Amadi all the way to Elekohia, Rumuomasi and Oginigba, New GRA, Stadium Road are purely Ikwerre land. Okrika starts from Rainbow/Slaughter to Abuloma, Town, Old GRA and Borokiri which is a very tiny part of PHALGA mostly covered with water and less people. So they don't have the population. I'm a PH boy so you can't lie to me about nothing cause I know everywhere all the way to water front. Even through Eleme.

Shut up . I lived in Diobu and Diobu is KALABARI home. The Ikweres in Diobu are just about 5% of the population cos Diobu is heavily cosmopolitan . The Diobu itself starting from mile 2 may have some native Ikwere families like Rumu woji but they are very very few . If Ikweres were that many in Diobu why were they not in the secondary schools back then ? Holy Rosary was more an IJAW school, Kalabari Ijaw is mostly spoken in mile one market than Ikwere. Infact you might not even meet an Ikwere person there But Igbos. Now you are a fat liar. and you do not know what you are talking about. D line itself has more Ijaw residents than Ikwere. You do not even find Ikwere people there.Now Rumu-kalagbo, Oromenike, Oroazi and Npkogu are not Port harcourt but villages of their own. No Ijaw man contests those places with the Ikwere villagers. Those are their villages just as ABULOMA, FIMIE, OKUJAGU, BORIKIRI, PORT HARCOURT, GBUNDU, KIDNEY ISLAND, EAGLE ISLAND bELONG TO THE IJAWS.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 7:54am On Sep 17, 2012
killayut:

Shut up . I lived in Diobu and Diobu is KALABARI home. The Ikweres in Diobu are just about 5% of the population cos Diobu is heavily cosmopolitan . The Diobu itself starting from mile 2 may have some native Ikwere families like Rumu woji but they are very very few . If Ikweres were that many in Diobu why were they not in the secondary schools back then ? Holy Rosary was more an IJAW school, Kalabari Ijaw is mostly spoken in mile one market than Ikwere. Infact you might not even meet an Ikwere person there But Igbos. Now you are a fat liar. and you do not know what you are talking about. D line itself has more Ijaw residents than Ikwere. You do not even find Ikwere people there.Now Rumu-kalagbo, Oromenike, Oroazi and Npkogu are not Port harcourt but villages of their own. No Ijaw man contests those places with the Ikwere villagers. Those are their villages just as ABULOMA, FIMIE, OKUJAGU, BORIKIRI, PORT HARCOURT, GBUNDU, KIDNEY ISLAND, EAGLE ISLAND bELONG TO THE IJAWS.

So Abuloma, Fimie-ama, Okujagu-ama, Gbundu are not villages? Stop abeg. The Ikwerre part is way more developed per say. The Okrika part are just sand fills full of slum and dirty waterside. Old GRA is cosmopolitan just like Fimie and Amadi.The rest are shanty. We are not talking about Ijaw and Igbo because Igbos live everywhere including town and Abuloma. But Ijaw and Igbo aside you and I know that PHALGA is majority Ikwerre. Diobu is purely Ikwerre land and I do not know where Kalabari has a stake in Diobu as only Igbo language is spoken there and nobody bought land from Kalabari or Okrika. Half of Rivers State indigenous population is Ikwerre according to census. Though not reliable but that is the official belief in ethnic distribution of Rivers. Ikwerre 1st then Ogoni 2nd.

2ndly Port Harcourt has grown way beyond PHALGA. OBALGA is twice the size and population of PHALGA and is 100 percent Ikwerre. If Okrika and Kalabari had so much land why then couldn't Gowon create Rivers until Ikwerres accepted to join?

3rdly if you take a good look at the names Amadi and Okujagu, you'll discover that it is mere politics that made them Okrika settlement since the names are purely Ikwerre or Igbo and is contigous with Orogbum and Nkpogu. I think I've once heard of a case which Ikwerres shelved for brotherly sake concerning those area.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 8:04am On Sep 17, 2012
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/rebisi-in-history/

ALTHOUGH there were varied positions on the matter, in the end the General Sani Abacha administration created Bayelsa out of Rivers State in 1996”

The circumstances behind my joining a delegation for the burial of His Royal Majesty, Sunday Nnanta Woluchem, the Epara Rebisi XI of Port Harcourt on Saturday, April 21, 2012 is encapsulated in the above quote taken from his burial programme.

As the author of his yet to be published biography, former Chief of General Staff, retired Commodore Okoh Ebitu Ukiwe, asked me to join his delegation to bury a royal father who, along with Ukiwe and others, played leading roles in the creation of today’s Rivers and Bayelsa states between 1993 and 1996.

When the civil war started in 1967 and Biafra lost control of Port Harcourt to the Federal forces, the newly created Rivers State was handed over to the Ijaw. Ijaw leaders continued to maintain that Rivers State, with Port Harcourt as its capital, was created for them as reward for ceding their coastal terrain to the Federal side, thus making the sea blockade of Biafra possible. The Ijaw groups claimed to constitute the majority and continued to dominate the state both during military and civilian dispensations. With time, however, the Igbo speaking people of the state, particularly the Ikwerre nationality, decided they wanted a state of their own where they would be able to assert their own political and economic interests.

This was what led to the quest for the creation of Port Harcourt State. However, the Ijaws felt if such a state was created they would become estranged in a city they have been part and parcel of since it was founded by the colonialists. In fact, they had even started portraying Port Harcourt as the capital of a future Ijaw state. Thus was born a great rivalry between the Ijaw-speaking and Igbo-speaking groups for the control of Rivers and between what was termed the “Okrika-Ijaw” and “Ikwerre-Igbo” over the “ownership” of Port Harcourt. The gruesome murder of Dr Obi Wali, the leader of the Ikwerre political front by yet-to-be ascertained assassins in 1992, owed to this tussle, which often led to street battles between Okrikans and Ikwerres.

Meanwhile, the late father of Nigeria’s nationalism, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, had discussed the best strategies for reducing the animosity between the Igbos and their Minority neighbours as well as dousing the ethnic tension between Ikwerres and their riverine co-indigenes of Rivers State. It was agreed that as the touted largest Minority group, the Ijaw needed a state of their own. But with their emotional attachment to Port Harcourt, how would Rivers State be split without creating a permanent ethnic war front in Nigeria’s premier oil city?

With the Ijaw groups obviously being favoured by the Northern-led Federal Government, Eze Woluchem, a lawyer who was installed paramount ruler of Port Harcourt in 1977 turned to Dr Azikiwe, appealing for him to support the aspirations of his Igbo kinsmen in the struggle. An ageing “Zik” referred the Eze’s delegation to Commodore Ukiwe, who had become Zik’s close political confidant. The Eze’s delegation of four, which included the late Chief Okogbule Wonodi and Chief Andrew Uchendu, met with Ukiwe in his office in Victoria Island.

Their proposal was that Port Harcourt State should only be for Igbo-speaking Rivers people, while the Ijaw-speaking part would be named New Rivers State. On the other hand, the Kalabaris did not want to be parted with Rivers State, neither did the Okrikas, and Ukiwe advised that it would be “unstrategic” to cut out Bonny, Opobo, Kalabari and Okrika, apart from the fact that the Head of State, General Abacha, who was pro-Ijaw, might be pushed not to create any new state at all.

Between Ukiwe and the Ikwerre delegation, and taking into account the expressed needs of others, the maps of the present Rivers State and Bayelsa State were drawn and presented to Abacha, who found it acceptable.

On October 1, 1996, General Abacha included Bayelsa as one of the six new states approved by the Provisional Ruling Council, PRC. The postulations put together by Ukiwe and the Rebisi’s delegates worked like magic. Today the Ijaws have a state of their own with a capital (Yenagoa) which is being styled the “Jerusalem of the Ijaw Nation”. The Igbo-speaking groups in Rivers State also have a state in which they constitute a comfortable majority and have led since 1999. The issue of “ownership” of Port Harcourt has also been (partially) resolved, as Governor Chibuike Amaechi has retrieved the Crown Lands being claimed by the Ikwerres and Okrikans into government custody.

In fact, he has pressed on with the establishment of New Port Harcourt in virgin land within Ikwerre heartland. The ethnic tension is still there somewhat, but it is no longer at the level of street battles and assassinations.

2 Likes

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 7:03pm On Sep 17, 2012
THESE IGBOS CAN POST WHATEVER THEY WANT HERE, BUT LET IT BE CLEAR TO THEM THAT IJAWS WON'T CEDE AN INCH OUR LAND TO BIAFRA, EVEN IF THEY WOULD USE THE FORCE OF ARMS LIKE THEY DID IN 1967.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 17, 2012
Abagworo:

So Abuloma, Fimie-ama, Okujagu-ama, Gbundu are not villages? Stop abeg. The Ikwerre part is way more developed per say. The Okrika part are just sand fills full of slum and dirty waterside. Old GRA is cosmopolitan just like Fimie and Amadi.The rest are shanty. We are not talking about Ijaw and Igbo because Igbos live everywhere including town and Abuloma. But Ijaw and Igbo aside you and I know that PHALGA is majority Ikwerre. Diobu is purely Ikwerre land and I do not know where Kalabari has a stake in Diobu as only Igbo language is spoken there and nobody bought land from Kalabari or Okrika. Half of Rivers State indigenous population is Ikwerre according to census. Though not reliable but that is the official belief in ethnic distribution of Rivers. Ikwerre 1st then Ogoni 2nd.

2ndly Port Harcourt has grown way beyond PHALGA. OBALGA is twice the size and population of PHALGA and is 100 percent Ikwerre. If Okrika and Kalabari had so much land why then couldn't Gowon create Rivers until Ikwerres accepted to join?

3rdly if you take a good look at the names Amadi and Okujagu, you'll discover that it is mere politics that made them Okrika settlement since the names are purely Ikwerre or Igbo and is contigous with Orogbum and Nkpogu. I think I've once heard of a case which Ikwerres shelved for brotherly sake concerning those area.

There is no land in Diobu to be sold and there has never been land there. Diobu was built by the British as a quarter for non natives since Port Harcourt then was already home to the natives who are the Ijaws. It happened when they moved their base from Degema to Port Harcourt in 1912. Degema was the original dwelling place of the British before then. Old GRA became the European quarter while the natives lived in Port Harcourt city which is what peeps call TOWN now. There were no natives in DIOBU and there were no any RUMU village at that time. Those rumu villages of today were acquired land by the non natives who were living in DIOBU. I know when those places were simply umu and not Rumu hence they were Umu-masi, umu-ibekwe-umu-biakani and so on. They were just land acquired and claimed for farming . umu means FAMILY and so umu ibekwe means family of ibekwe and All that happened cos the Ijaws were nonchalant since their resources were not threatened and at that the Ikweres were only at the Ozuoba, ENEKA, CHIOBA, IBAA, OGBOGORO EMOHUA area. The main Ikweres start from Elekahia to Igwuruta all the way to the Igbo border. The people that claim Diobu are the REBISI but the REBISI themselves were not there during the colonial era. They had migrated to the place mostly concentrating at the ORO-GBUM village. It is this ORO people that are being planted at the DIOBU area that are now laying claim to it. WHERE was their TRADTITIONAL STOOL IN THE OLDEN DAYS ? The Eze Rebisi stool that they formed today is a new development cos 30 years ago there was no EZE REBISI. If there was one, where was he buried and how come he was not known by the colonial masters ?How come there was no palace for that stool in the area they claim today ? THE IKWERES KALABARI AND OKRIKA AND BONNY people knew and traded with were not the ORO. I really do not want to write on this issue cos I have nothing against IKWERE people. Ikwere people are very much innocent . It is you IGBO PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE NO BUSINESS IN RIVERS STATE that have been creating problem in Rivers state for your own benefit. STOP IT.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 17, 2012
Abagworo:

nOW AGAIN, you know nothing about how Rivers state was created you twerp. There was no Ikwere man involved and it goes on to prove that they were not there. The people that struggled to create Rivers state were Chief Harold DAPPA BIRIYE of Bonny, Chief Nabo Graham Douglas, Chief PRINCEWILL, Various Chiefs from Okrika, NEMBE. NUMEROUS statesmen from SAGBAMA, YENAGOA, EKEREMOR, OPOKUMA, KOLOKUMA And there was no any IKWERE MAN. The Ikwere people did not even know how their land was added to the Rivers state. You can also see that IKWERE LAND DOES NOT HAVE ANY RIVER. You are just one fat ignorant cos you do not know nothing about Rivers state.. We are talking about Port HARCOURT AND NOT ANY OTHER PLACE else. The growth of other towns is a welcome development and we wish every other part of Rivers state develop too. You are such a fool. You do not even know that the population of OBALGA has more Ijaw Residents than the natives. You stupidly think the IJAW NATIVES are in the creek while they develop urban areas for you dirty non RIVERS Igbos ? People allow you Igbos to also come and live cos of the one Nigeria thingy and now instead of you people to appreciate it you are being INGRATE.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 17, 2012
Abagworo: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/rebisi-in-history/

ALTHOUGH there were varied positions on the matter, in the end the General Sani Abacha administration created Bayelsa out of Rivers State in 1996”

The circumstances behind my joining a delegation for the burial of His Royal Majesty, Sunday Nnanta Woluchem, the Epara Rebisi XI of Port Harcourt on Saturday, April 21, 2012 is encapsulated in the above quote taken from his burial programme.

As the author of his yet to be published biography, former Chief of General Staff, retired Commodore Okoh Ebitu Ukiwe, asked me to join his delegation to bury a royal father who, along with Ukiwe and others, played leading roles in the creation of today’s Rivers and Bayelsa states between 1993 and 1996.

When the civil war started in 1967 and Biafra lost control of Port Harcourt to the Federal forces, the newly created Rivers State was handed over to the Ijaw. Ijaw leaders continued to maintain that Rivers State, with Port Harcourt as its capital, was created for them as reward for ceding their coastal terrain to the Federal side, thus making the sea blockade of Biafra possible. The Ijaw groups claimed to constitute the majority and continued to dominate the state both during military and civilian dispensations. With time, however, the Igbo speaking people of the state, particularly the Ikwerre nationality, decided they wanted a state of their own where they would be able to assert their own political and economic interests.

This was what led to the quest for the creation of Port Harcourt State. However, the Ijaws felt if such a state was created they would become estranged in a city they have been part and parcel of since it was founded by the colonialists. In fact, they had even started portraying Port Harcourt as the capital of a future Ijaw state. Thus was born a great rivalry between the Ijaw-speaking and Igbo-speaking groups for the control of Rivers and between what was termed the “Okrika-Ijaw” and “Ikwerre-Igbo” over the “ownership” of Port Harcourt. The gruesome murder of Dr Obi Wali, the leader of the Ikwerre political front by yet-to-be ascertained assassins in 1992, owed to this tussle, which often led to street battles between Okrikans and Ikwerres.

Meanwhile, the late father of Nigeria’s nationalism, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, had discussed the best strategies for reducing the animosity between the Igbos and their Minority neighbours as well as dousing the ethnic tension between Ikwerres and their riverine co-indigenes of Rivers State. It was agreed that as the touted largest Minority group, the Ijaw needed a state of their own. But with their emotional attachment to Port Harcourt, how would Rivers State be split without creating a permanent ethnic war front in Nigeria’s premier oil city?

With the Ijaw groups obviously being favoured by the Northern-led Federal Government, Eze Woluchem, a lawyer who was installed paramount ruler of Port Harcourt in 1977 turned to Dr Azikiwe, appealing for him to support the aspirations of his Igbo kinsmen in the struggle. An ageing “Zik” referred the Eze’s delegation to Commodore Ukiwe, who had become Zik’s close political confidant. The Eze’s delegation of four, which included the late Chief Okogbule Wonodi and Chief Andrew Uchendu, met with Ukiwe in his office in Victoria Island.

Their proposal was that Port Harcourt State should only be for Igbo-speaking Rivers people, while the Ijaw-speaking part would be named New Rivers State. On the other hand, the Kalabaris did not want to be parted with Rivers State, neither did the Okrikas, and Ukiwe advised that it would be “unstrategic” to cut out Bonny, Opobo, Kalabari and Okrika, apart from the fact that the Head of State, General Abacha, who was pro-Ijaw, might be pushed not to create any new state at all.

Between Ukiwe and the Ikwerre delegation, and taking into account the expressed needs of others, the maps of the present Rivers State and Bayelsa State were drawn and presented to Abacha, who found it acceptable.

On October 1, 1996, General Abacha included Bayelsa as one of the six new states approved by the Provisional Ruling Council, PRC. The postulations put together by Ukiwe and the Rebisi’s delegates worked like magic. Today the Ijaws have a state of their own with a capital (Yenagoa) which is being styled the “Jerusalem of the Ijaw Nation”. The Igbo-speaking groups in Rivers State also have a state in which they constitute a comfortable majority and have led since 1999. The issue of “ownership” of Port Harcourt has also been (partially) resolved, as Governor Chibuike Amaechi has retrieved the Crown Lands being claimed by the Ikwerres and Okrikans into government custody.

In fact, he has pressed on with the establishment of New Port Harcourt in virgin land within Ikwerre heartland. The ethnic tension is still there somewhat, but it is no longer at the level of street battles and assassinations.

abagworo is homeless am sure.. Bros.. You Igbos are losers. Leave Rivers state alone. AMAECHI has only 2 more yrs left and after his tenure the OGONIS will rule next.. LEAVE RIVERS STATE ALONE you AGBEKPO.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ngodigha1(m): 10:24pm On Sep 17, 2012
killayut:

abagworo is homeless am sure.. Bros.. You Igbos are losers. Leave Rivers state alone. AMAECHI has only 2 more yrs left and after his tenure the OGONIS will rule next.. LEAVE RIVERS STATE ALONE you AGBEKPO.
Ogonis o.k, but Ijaws never. Ijaws will never rule Rivers state again.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by OneNaira6: 10:46pm On Sep 17, 2012
Abagworo: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/rebisi-in-history/

I don't know why you continue to educate Killayut, he's a lost cause. If you continue to provide someone articles and intelligent statement to support your stanch on the matter and he continue to argue blindly then leave it be. Like I'll say, statement made on NL would not automatically become a reality. It will still remain a figment of imagination.

As for Diobu origin,

The area that became Port Harcourt in 1913 was originally the farmlands of the Diobu village group of the Ikwerre, a subgroup of the Igbo people.
http://www.viewchange.org/topics/port-harcourt

The initial purpose of the port was to export the coal which geologist Albert Ernest Kitson had discovered in Enugu in 1909. The colonial government caused the people of Diobu to cede their land and by 1913 the building of a port-town was started. Other villages that were later absorbed into the city included Oroworukwo, Mkpogua and Rumuomasi; in the creeks to the south of the original port were the fishing camps and grounds of the Okrika-Ijaw group.
http://www.myairnigeria.com/en/ng/ABOUTUS/ANDestinations/PortHarcourt/tabid/295/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Anyway, thanks for the vanguard read above.
It explained alot.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by OneNaira6: 10:48pm On Sep 17, 2012
killayut:

I don't know what it is you think you are reading but noone is after River state. All everyone is doing is correcting ignorant statement made by you and the ignorant claiming of other communities found in River State as part of Ijaw clan even after providing you evidence that says otherwise. I get increasing population, I get making up figures of the said population, what I don't get it stealing other people's land and holding onto it with all your might plus rewriting their history with false statement. It is just sad and pray everyday you and ijaw citizen are one out of a billion. I hope htjax, ijaw girl, asari, GEJ, etc is how majority Ijaw people act, if not, then I believe every community in River state and outside should write a book of their origin and publish it. Infact, tattoo it on their body unless one day, they'll wake up and find their entire territories stolen underneath their nose. This is just sad to watch. I, that was 11, when I left River State can tell you are making up stories of different communities, laying claim to other ethnicity properties, now imagine someone that lived all their life in river state and still residing in river state would think.
Just SMH!!!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 1:55am On Sep 18, 2012
One_Naira:

I don't know what it is you think you are reading but noone is after River state. All everyone is doing is correcting ignorant statement made by you and the ignorant claiming of other communities found in River State as part of Ijaw clan even after providing you evidence that says otherwise. I get increasing population, I get making up figures of the said population, what I don't get it stealing other people's land and holding onto it with all your might plus rewriting their history with false statement. It is just sad and pray everyday you and ijaw citizen are one out of a billion. I hope htjax, ijaw girl, asari, GEJ, etc is how majority Ijaw people act, if not, then I believe every community in River state and outside should write a book of their origin and publish it. Infact, tattoo it on their body unless one day, they'll wake up and find their entire territories stolen underneath their nose. This is just sad to watch. I, that was 11, when I left River State can tell you are making up stories of different communities, laying claim to other ethnicity properties, now imagine someone that lived all their life in river state and still residing in river state would think.
Just SMH!!!

This is not like we are discussing some random place. This is my place you are discussing. And you want me to take the nonsense you say about it. How many Ikwere activities have you seen in Port Harcourt and Diobu ? Goat head. where were the Ikweres when Ijaw dey gbam and dey well gangs controlled the area ? Is there any Ikwere member of any gang in Port Harcourt city ( Town ) ? You stay deep inside Oyigbo and rukpoku and talk about Port Harcourt when you are not found in PH. Menn check your brain.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by OneNaira6: 3:42am On Sep 18, 2012
killayut:

This is not like we are discussing some random place. This is my place you are discussing. And you want me to take the nonsense you say about it. How many Ikwere activities have you seen in Port Harcourt and Diobu ? Goat head. where were the Ikweres when Ijaw dey gbam and dey well gangs controlled the area ? Is there any Ikwere member of any gang in Port Harcourt city ( Town ) ? You stay deep inside Oyigbo and rukpoku and talk about Port Harcourt when you are not found in PH. Menn check your brain.

Just because they let you live in their town DOES NOT make it your own. Provide ANYTHING, an article, book, anything to back up all your self made stories. We gave you a statement from the LGA, an article of a citizen within that area, a statement from lord lugard during the creation of PH, an article from air nigeria and a statement from an outside source. Different sources, different writers narrating the same thing yet you honestly believe stories that is made by you would fly against all that. Each article, each source either narrating what everyone that lived or been to PH knows, you end accuse it of propaganda, or create self made facts, shouting on top of your lungs in an effort to sell a fake story over true facts. What I find funny is how you think your propaganda will sell with so many history of it and the truth found all over the internet. Ijaw has gang, ijaw has mend. Who gives a f2k what criminal activity ijaw are doing in PH. In what rational part of your mind told you, listing gangs and fights in river is a way to prove ownership. What part of your cognition told you that? Either you are high or you have no shame and take pride in disgracing yourself and people. You are pathetic to lay claim on properties that does not belong to you and infact more pathetic to try and change the history just so to lay claim. Equally pathetic for accusing the ikwerre and igbo for stealing when it is obvious who is the desperate theif on here. As i said if the ijaws have your mindset then every community in River state should write a book or blog of their origin and publish it unless they would wake up one day to find all their properties stolen, history rewritten all because they happen to accept you all into their territory. To say I find what you are doing disgusting would be an understatement. Infact, i find it disgusting, pathetic and terrifying. There's is a high migration of your ppl to Asaba and not once have I thought wrongly of it but seeing this sh1t, maybe we should be worried. Who knows what other territory una will lay claim over. Thus, i continue to pray there are more hjatx, GEJ, ijaw girl and Asari in your clan than you. If not, may God have mercy on every non-ijaw community territory. Who would have thought the iteksiri were right all along. SMFH
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 6:06am On Sep 18, 2012
One_Naira:

Just because they let you live in their town DOES NOT make it your own. Provide ANYTHING, an article, book, anything to back up all your self made stories. We gave you a statement from the LGA, an article of a citizen within that area, a statement from lord lugard during the creation of PH, an article from air nigeria and a statement from an outside source. Different sources, different writers narrating the same thing yet you honestly believe stories that is made by you would fly against all that. Each article, each source either narrating what everyone that lived or been to PH knows, you end accuse it of propaganda, or create self made facts, shouting on top of your lungs in an effort to sell a fake story over true facts. What I find funny is how you think your propaganda will sell with so many history of it and the truth found all over the internet. Ijaw has gang, ijaw has mend. Who gives a f2k what criminal activity ijaw are doing in PH. In what rational part of your mind told you, listing gangs and fights in river is a way to prove ownership. What part of your cognition told you that? Either you are high or you have no shame and take pride in disgracing yourself and people. You are pathetic to lay claim on properties that does not belong to you and infact more pathetic to try and change the history just so to lay claim. Equally pathetic for accusing the ikwerre and igbo for stealing when it is obvious who is the desperate theif on here. As i said if the ijaws have your mindset then every community in River state should write a book or blog of their origin and publish it unless they would wake up one day to find all their properties stolen, history rewritten all because they happen to accept you all into their territory. To say I find what you are doing disgusting would be an understatement. Infact, i find it disgusting, pathetic and terrifying. There's is a high migration of your ppl to Asaba and not once have I thought wrongly of it but seeing this sh1t, maybe we should be worried. Who knows what other territory una will lay claim over. Thus, i continue to pray there are more hjatx, GEJ, ijaw girl and Asari in your clan than you. If not, may God have mercy on every non-ijaw community territory. Who would have thought the iteksiri were right all along. SMFH

Now I see you are really senseless. Good luck on your dream.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 12:51pm On Sep 18, 2012
KILLAYUT & MY FELLOW IJAW BROTHERS, WE IJAWS KNOW OUR BOUNDARIES IN ONDO, EDO, DELTA, RIVERS (ESP. PORT HARCOURT) AND AKWA IBOM ( EASTERN OBOLO & IBENO LGAS). AND WHEN THE RIGHT TIME COMES, WE SHALL INCORPORATED THEM INTO THE REP. OF IJAWLAND AND NO INCH OF OUR LANDS WILL BE CEEDED INTO BIAFRA, CALABAR REP. ODUDUWA REP. OR NIGERIA AS THE CASE MAY BE. YOU CAN BE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF WHAT I'M TELLING YOU BECAUSE IT IS THE ETERNAL TRUTH. OUR QUEST FOR SELF DETERMINATION IS WRITTEN IN THE HEAVENS, SO IF ANY OF YOU DONT LIKE IT, DON'T BOTHER TO FIGHT US, RATHER FIGHT GOD.

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 12:56pm On Sep 18, 2012
ijaw citizen: KILLAYUT & MY FELLOW IJAW BROTHERS, WE IJAWS KNOW OUR BOUNDARIES IN ONDO, EDO, DELTA, RIVERS (ESP. PORT HARCOURT) AND AKWA IBOM ( EASTERN OBOLO & IBENO LGAS). AND WHEN THE RIGHT TIME COMES, WE SHALL INCORPORATED THEM INTO THE REP. OF IJAWLAND AND NO INCH OF OUR LANDS WILL BE CEEDED INTO BIAFRA, CALABAR REP. ODUDUWA REP. OR NIGERIA AS THE CASE MAY BE. YOU CAN BE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF WHAT I'M TELLING YOU BECAUSE IT IS THE ETERNAL TRUTH. OUR QUEST FOR SELF DETERMINATION IS WRITTEN IN THE HEAVENS, SO IF ANY OF YOU DONT LIKE IT, DON'T BOTHER TO FIGHT US, RATHER FIGHT GOD.
I hope when trouble starts you guys will be able to withstand it. I pray port-hacourt does not become like Jos.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by demmie1: 1:39pm On Sep 18, 2012
anybody can claim any land as his own, its easy to draw out lines on a map and claim it as your land. I bet yorubas can say their land reach beyond forcados and Hausa can claim osogbo as part of their land(well, they are claiming otta already). it is not for anybody to say except the people concerned to determine who they are, town by town, village by village by vote. this is how all modern boundary lines should be drawn and lets forget boundary lines created in myths.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 2:21pm On Sep 18, 2012
killayut:

My mother is actually from KELGA and their forefather housed your people before they moved to Buguma. I think Etche deserves to rule after Ogoni. After all they are the 2nd largest oil producers today or 3rd if Ogoni starts full production behind ONELGA.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 2:23pm On Sep 18, 2012
Abagworo:

My mother is actually from KELGA and their forefather housed your people before they moved to Buguma. I think Etche deserves to rule after Ogoni. After all they are the 2nd largest oil producers today or 3rd if Ogoni starts full production behind ONELGA.
Pls where is Tele Kuru from?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 2:44pm On Sep 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Pls where is Tele Kuru from?
TELE IKURU IS AN IJAW MAN FROM ANDONNI LGA.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 2:49pm On Sep 18, 2012
ijaw citizen: TELE IKURU IS AN IJAW MAN FROM ANDONNI LGA.

I've never met an Ijaw man from Andoni. The Andoni guy in my office does not call himself Ijaw but speaks their native language(not related to Ijaw) and Igbo as a 2nd.

Please can you back these claims of Andoni being Ijaw with language, history or culture?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 2:52pm On Sep 18, 2012
The normal thing for Chubuike Amaechi to do is to hand over to Tele Ikuru but will majority of Rivers people vote for him, considering the fact that he's not from an Igboid group. I see Celestine Ngozi Omehia contesting and coming victorious in the next election.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 3:15pm On Sep 18, 2012
Abagworo:

I've never met an Ijaw man from Andoni. The Andoni guy in my office does not call himself Ijaw but speaks their native language(not related to Ijaw) and Igbo as a 2nd.

Please can you back these claims of Andoni being Ijaw with language, history or culture?
I'M SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU WITH THAT. BUT I CAN GET YOU MORE CONFUSED BY TELLING YOU THAT THE ANDONNIS ARE ONE OF THE FEW IJAW CLANS WHO CAN TRACE DIRECT ANCESTRY TO OUR COMMON ANCESTOR "IJO" BECAUSE THE FOUNDER OF ANDONNI CLAN "ANDO" IS THE ELDEST SON OF IJO THE COMMON ANCESTOR OF ALL IJAWS & SON OF KING ADUMU AKA ODUDUWA THE BEARER OF THE ANCIENT NUBIAN SPIRITUAL FORCE "ADUM" & "BES" (EGBESU). I GUESS THIS IS TOO COMPLEX FOR UR BRAIN TO ABSORB! ANYWAY, JUST CHECK "IJAW PEOPLE" & "ANDONNI" ON WIKIPEDIA. I WILL SEARCH FOR MORE LINKS LATER. SHALOM!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 3:23pm On Sep 18, 2012
ijaw citizen: I'M SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU WITH THAT. BUT I CAN GET YOU MORE CONFUSED BY TELLING YOU THAT THE ANDONNIS ARE ONE OF THE FEW IJAW CLANS WHO CAN TRACE DIRECT ANCESTRY TO OUR COMMON ANCESTOR "IJO" BECAUSE THE FOUNDER OF ANDONNI CLAN "ANDO" IS THE ELDEST SON OF IJO THE COMMON ANCESTOR OF ALL IJAWS & SON OF KING ADUMU AKA ODUDUWA THE BEARER OF THE ANCIENT NUBIAN SPIRITUAL FORCE "ADUM" & "BES" (EGBESU)

Let us forget all these useless assertions written by confused people to confuse gullible ones. Andoni can seek affiliation with Ijaw in order to form a more formidable force which I Abagworo consider a good strategy. You guys need to reduce your level of tribalism and militancy. Embrace education, farming, fishing and small scale industries in order to develop at the same pace with your neighbors. If you are educated and rich, you would not see anybody as a threat to your land as you can even purchase lands in choice places across the world.

I will be happy if a competent man like Tonye Princewill emerges Governor of Rivers than all these tribal zoning of Ogoni, Kalabari, Etche or whatsoever.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 3:41pm On Sep 18, 2012
Abagworo:

Let us forget all these useless assertions written by confused people to confuse gullible ones. Andoni can seek affiliation with Ijaw in order to form a more formidable force which I Abagworo consider a good strategy. You guys need to reduce your level of tribalism and militancy. Embrace education, farming, fishing and small scale industries in order to develop at the same pace with your neighbors. If you are educated and rich, you would not see anybody as a threat to your land as you can even purchase lands in choice places across the world.

I will be happy if a competent man like Tonye Princewill emerges Governor of Rivers than all these tribal zoning of Ogoni, Kalabari, Etche or whatsoever.
MR ABAGWORO, DON'T LET LEARNING NEW THINGS MAKE YOU FEEL BAD OR MAKE YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE "NO, THIS CANT BE CORRECT" SIMPLY COS IT TOTALLY GOES AGAINST YOUR PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE. ANDONNIS ARE NOT JUST AFFILIATING WITH IJAWS, THEY ARE IJAWS!. IS THAT TOO HARD FOR YOUR BRAIN TO PROCESS. IF YOU REALLY WANNA KNOW MORE, I GUESS YOU EMBARK ON A FACT FINDING MISSION TO ANDONNI, EASTERN OBOLO & IBENO LGAS BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE TENDENCY TO REFUTE ANY EVIDENCE I PRESENT BEFORE YOU. ALL THE BEST
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 4:22pm On Sep 18, 2012
ijaw citizen: MR ABAGWORO, DON'T LET LEARNING NEW THINGS MAKE YOU FEEL BAD OR MAKE YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE "NO, THIS CANT BE CORRECT" SIMPLY COS IT TOTALLY GOES AGAINST YOUR PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE. ANDONNIS ARE NOT JUST AFFILIATING WITH IJAWS, THEY ARE IJAWS!. IS THAT TOO HARD FOR YOUR BRAIN TO PROCESS. IF YOU REALLY WANNA KNOW MORE, I GUESS YOU EMBARK ON A FACT FINDING MISSION TO ANDONNI, EASTERN OBOLO & IBENO LGAS BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE TENDENCY TO REFUTE ANY EVIDENCE I PRESENT BEFORE YOU. ALL THE BEST

I've tried to research but what I seem to find is where in wikipedia it is written that they are often considered as Ijaw. "Often considered" is not the same as "being". However my friend says they moved to Andoni from Cameroon and belong to same stock as Ibeno and Obolo and speak same language as Ibeno and Obolo and Ijaws cannot understand anything in their language. Some Igbos like Igbere/Ohafia also claim to belong to same stock and Efik/Oron people too by oral history.

If Andonis are Ijaws, so be it but I don't think they speak Ijaw anyway.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 6:45pm On Sep 18, 2012
THERE ARE MANY IJAW CLANS AT THE BORDERS OF IJAWLAND THAT HAVE LOST THEIR ORIGINAL LANGUAGE TO NEIGHBOURING TRIBES. APOI IN ONDO STATE HAS LOST THEIR LANGUAGE TO YORUBA, AROGBO IS BI-LINGUAL BUT STILL RETAIN IJAW STRONGLY. CERTAIN IJAW COMMUNITIES BORDERING URHOBOLAND HAVE LOST THEIR LANGUAGE TO URHOBO ESP KIAGBODO, THE HOMETOWN OF CHIEF E.K CLARK. NDOKI IS COMPLETELY LOST TO IGBO, NOW THEIR RELATIVES IN BONNY ARE FOLLOWING SUIT. ALL COMMUNITIES NORTH OF ANDONNI ARE EFIK HENCE THEIR STRONG INFLUENCE ON THE COASTAL IJAWS (ANDONNI/OBOLO). THEIR ARE ALSO CERTAIN CLANS THAT ACCOMMODATED EDOS FLEEING FROM WAR TORN BENIN EMPIRE; ENGENNI, OGBIA,EPIE, ABUA AND CERTAIN COMMUNITIES IN "MEIN SPEAKING" CLANS IN DELTA STATE INCLUDING SEIMBIRI CLAN WHERE I COME FROM. I'M SURE IT IS THE SAME BAND OF BENIN EXODUS THAT CAME INTO EKPEYE, OGBA/EGBEMA/NDONI, AND IKWERRE.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 6:47pm On Sep 18, 2012
ijaw citizen: THERE ARE MANY IJAW CLANS AT THE BORDERS OF IJAWLAND THAT HAVE LOST THEIR ORIGINAL LANGUAGE TO NEIGHBOURING TRIBES. APOI IN ONDO STATE HAS LOST THEIR LANGUAGE TO YORUBA, AROGBO IS BI-LINGUAL BUT STILL RETAIN IJAW STRONGLY. CERTAIN IJAW COMMUNITIES BORDERING URHOBOLAND HAVE LOST THEIR LANGUAGE TO URHOBO ESP KIAGBODO, THE HOMETOWN OF CHIEF E.K CLARK. NDOKI IS COMPLETELY LOST TO IGBO, NOW THEIR RELATIVES IN BONNY ARE FOLLOWING SUIT. ALL COMMUNITIES NORTH OF ANDONNI ARE EFIK HENCE THEIR STRONG INFLUENCE ON THE COASTAL IJAWS (ANDONNI/OBOLO). THEIR ARE ALSO CERTAIN CLANS THAT ACCOMMODATED EDOS FLEEING FROM WAR TORN BENIN EMPIRE; ENGENNI, OGBIA,EPIE, ABUA AND CERTAIN COMMUNITIES IN "MEIN SPEAKING" CLANS IN DELTA STATE INCLUDING SEIMBIRI CLAN WHERE I COME FROM. I'M SURE IT IS THE SAME BAND OF BENIN EXODUS THAT CAME INTO EKPEYE, OGBA/EGBEMA/NDONI, AND IKWERRE.
If the have lost their language then they're not Ijaw. If we follow your faulty logic then it means most tribes in Nigeria are benin. How do some of you even reason?

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2012
LANGUAGE IS NOT THE ONLY PARAMETER USED TO MEASURE THE ETHNICITY OF A PEOPLE, GO TO SCHOOL AND STUDY ETHNOLOGY AND ETHNOLINGUISTICS. ETHNIC CONSCIOUSNESS IS NOT NECESSARYLY BY LANGUAGE (THATS WHY SOME IKWERRE CAN CONVENIENTLY DENY IGBO, JUST LIKE UR ANDONNI FRIEND IS DENYING IJAW) BUT THEIR CULTURE AND HISTORY IS WHAT GIVES THEM THEIR ETHNIC COMSCIOUSNESS. I KNOW IGBOS WHO'VE LIVED IN LAGOS ALL THEIR LIVES HENCE THEY CANT SPEAK IGBO BUT YORUBA. PROF, DOES THAT MAKE THEM YORUBA?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 10:11pm On Sep 18, 2012
ijaw citizen: LANGUAGE IS NOT THE ONLY PARAMETER USED TO MEASURE THE ETHNICITY OF A PEOPLE, GO TO SCHOOL AND STUDY ETHNOLOGY AND ETHNOLINGUISTICS. ETHNIC CONSCIOUSNESS IS NOT NECESSARYLY BY LANGUAGE (THATS WHY SOME IKWERRE CAN CONVENIENTLY DENY IGBO, JUST LIKE UR ANDONNI FRIEND IS DENYING IJAW) BUT THEIR CULTURE AND HISTORY IS WHAT GIVES THEM THEIR ETHNIC COMSCIOUSNESS. I KNOW IGBOS WHO'VE LIVED IN LAGOS ALL THEIR LIVES HENCE THEY CANT SPEAK IGBO BUT YORUBA. PROF, DOES THAT MAKE THEM YORUBA?
Language is the most important variable to determine ethnicity. Your Yoruba analogy does not make sense because the Igbo people that speak Yoruba still have Igbo as their language. But for Ikwerres for example, they don't have any other language other than the Igboid one that they speak at the moment and they understand central Igbo. As for Andonis, if they don't understand Ijaw, it simply means that they're not one. It common sense. Stop arguing unnecessarily.

2 Likes

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ijawcitizen(m): 11:26pm On Sep 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Language is the most important variable to determine ethnicity. Your Yoruba analogy does not make sense because the Igbo people that speak Yoruba still have Igbo as their language. But for Ikwerres for example, they don't have any other language other than the Igboid one that they speak at the moment and they understand central Igbo. As for Andonis, if they don't understand Ijaw, it simply means that they're not one. It common sense. Stop arguing unnecessarily.
LOL.......I'M SURE EDUCATED FOLKS HERE WOULD JUST BE LAUGHING AT UR ILLITERATE, ROAD SIDE AND LAY MAN ARGUEMENT. AROCHUKWU PEOPLE ARE NOW SPEAKING IBIBIO, I'M SURE THY 'D SOON TRANSFORM INTO IBIBIO PEOPLE. WE ARE ALL SPEAKING AND WRITING IN ENGLISH TODAY, DOES THAT MEAN WE ARE ENGLISH CITIZENS. WAIT A MINUTE, LEMME CHECK MY CUPBOARD IF I CAN FIND MY BRITISH "PASHKPOT" ( PASSPORT) LOL........LMAO!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Afam4eva(m): 11:34pm On Sep 18, 2012
ijaw citizen: LOL.......I'M SURE EDUCATED FOLKS HERE WOULD JUST BE LAUGHING AT UR ILLITERATE, ROAD SIDE AND LAY MAN ARGUEMENT. AROCHUKWU PEOPLE ARE NOW SPEAKING IBIBIO, I'M SURE THY 'D SOON TRANSFORM INTO IBIBIO PEOPLE. WE ARE ALL SPEAKING AND WRITING IN ENGLISH TODAY, DOES THAT MEAN WE ARE ENGLISH CITIZENS. WAIT A MINUTE, LEMME CHECK MY CUPBOARD IF I CAN FIND MY BRITISH "PASHKPOT" LOL........LMAO!
We speak english cos we learnt it, doofus. Don't we have our own indegenous language? Stop thinking like a fish cos i know you're not one.

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Nobody: 12:06am On Sep 19, 2012
afam4eva:

Shut up you Ignorant. The ANDONI language is 99% the same with the Yenagoa dialect and Degema dialect. What would you say about Jamaicans that speak English instead of AFRICAN language ?. Instead of you to take to the circumstances to why some people adopt other people's language you are still ranting.

This is Ikwere language close to the ancient Ikwere language as it transforms due to Igbo influence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NH2OwIGKxc

This is also excerpt from an Ikwere web page hrcak.srce.hr/file/38758 ( Ikwerre have always
regarded themselves as a group distinct and different from other groups from their
immediate neighbours; thus they refer to themselves as Ruwhu-Eli (Nduka 1993).
Interestingly, none of the other ethnic groups surrounding the Ikwerre people has tried
to assimilate them except the Ibo. )

Ikwere people have been saying they are not Igbos . Leave them alone. They are not NRI people.

You can enter the site here .. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:G_OfzRrbsiMJ:hrcak.srce.hr/file/38758+&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgrdD9KzpjLc1ii1UEgITRQgwbMNswc3qzXfdowZoTPYbGPxASKBh_ADonNXe5A8_0Ntem3uE3jKmUZjxEKX30GqEIi6MtQLSBJNQ9tV79pXsy-Dr8dAuBZ5oqa5Pzr_5QDGJpK&sig=AHIEtbRUGgUU6bRj3KGMvRSjS_K9aJnUdA&pli=1

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (Reply)

18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage / Do You Consider Somalis As Black?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.