Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? (30197 Views)

If You Want To Anoyed Igbo Just Say Rocha! / President Buhari Not Nigeria’s First Leader At Blair House - The FCT Post / What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 8:34am On Aug 20, 2010
[size=14pt]It is strange I don’t know of any Da Rocha Today, either in public life OR private life what has happened to the good fortunes of this family. Did Mr Da Rocha not have a son, it is just strange no information about this ingenious business man from Brazil.[/size]

[size=14pt]Mr. Da Rocha, (a merchant who came from Brazil) popularly known as Baba Olomi, who had his office in Water House on Kakawa Street (opposite Union Bank) was said to have owned and operated the Iju water works that serve the entire Lagos in the 20s before it was taken over by the state government. He was described as the richest Nigerian then. According to reports, Da Rocha laid pipes from Iju to Lagos Island, Yaba, Ebute-Metta and other communities in the state where there are high demands for pipe borne water. Until it was taken over by the state government, the colonial administration was paying Da Rocha for the supply of water to the state. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by idupaul: 8:40am On Aug 20, 2010
So awolowos classmates are nw posting on nairaland . Hmm

4 Likes

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by johnie: 8:47am On Aug 20, 2010
His daughter was the proprietress of ADRAO school beside NTA at Victoria Island.

I think the the name of the school comes from her name - Abimbola Da Rocha Afodu Omololu.

She presented the queen with flowers at the airport when the queen visited Nigeria in the 50s.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by OAM4J: 8:48am On Aug 20, 2010
idupaul:

So awolowos classmates  are nw posting on nairaland . Hmm

LOL  grin grin grin grin grin

some people read history nao and some just love it.

Thanks known all for the info. never heard of him till now.

4 Likes

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 8:50am On Aug 20, 2010
So awolowos classmates  are nw posting on nairaland . Hmm

[size=14pt]Don't u think it is good as Nigerians to know your history. I never knew the supply of pipe borne water was done by one person in the past. One can see that private enterprise pays. Today the goverment owns and runs everything they cannot even supply water, Electricity OR Gas.

I pray we go back to the old ways of doing things. Private ownership of utility companies is the norm in advance countries, Nigeria should retrace her developmental step backwards to that humble beginning and start correcting the loopsided contraptions and anomalies we have today[/size].  

4 Likes

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by johnie: 8:53am On Aug 20, 2010
Omololu Mulele died within the last three years.

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 8:57am On Aug 20, 2010
His daughter was the proprietress of ADRA school beside NTA at Victoria Island.

I think the DR in the name of the school actually comes from Da Rocha.

His daughter was. Mrs. Omololu Mulele and she presented the queen with flowers at the airport when the queen visited Nigeria in the 50s

Omololu Mulele died within the last three years

That is quite insightful, was there no male Da Rocha's, with death of the woman that name has being banish and commuted to history books.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by philip0906(m): 8:58am On Aug 20, 2010
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ?
Y d'u want 2 know?abi ur username dey confuse u? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by johnie: 8:59am On Aug 20, 2010
Sorry about the wrong spelling in my first post.

The school is called ADRAO and I think it was founded in 1963.

One of the As in the name stands for Afodu.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 9:08am On Aug 20, 2010
Y d'u want 2 know?abi your username dey confuse u?

[size=14pt]If one man is supplying a product, and the customers are getting the product, don't u think u don't have to be a quantum physicist to know that private ownership of our utilities is a goal the FG should be pursueing amongst other thing. The Dangote's , Jimoh Ibarhim's and other wealthy Nigerians of this world should be allowed to bid and buy them. That is the way forward, we have being looking for solution to our power crisis for 11 years now, history has just shown us private initiative is the answer.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Abagworo(m): 9:16am On Aug 20, 2010
@topic.our forefathers quest for male child is not unrelated to this. His contemporaries anikulapo kuti,abebe,ibru and ojukwu have their names justly or controversially engraved in the history of nigeria as rebels armed with guns and mics,industrial executives,politicians and ministers.they have produced and are still producing history making successors.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by chiozor: 9:26am On Aug 20, 2010
^^^ 21st century forbid us to look for male children. 21st century says that if there is no child in the marriage you go an adopt or remain childless. 21st century says if your marriage is only female children, live it at that. 21st century said love is more than family lineage, procreation, misbehaviours e.t.c
i am in stone age and i live in caves.
21st century Nlanders please come and bash me with your whinning undecided

2 Likes

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by snthesis(m): 9:28am On Aug 20, 2010
private initiative yes
monopoly no!

A-Abimbola
D-Da
R-Rocha
A-Afodu
O- Omololu
twas my primary school

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 9:33am On Aug 20, 2010
topic.our forefathers quest for male child is not unrelated to this. His contemporaries anikulapo kuti,abebe,ibru and ojukwu have their names justly or controversially engraved in the history of nigeria as rebels armed with guns and mics,industrial executives,politicians and ministers.they have produced and are still producing history making successors.

[size=14pt]It is a dis-service especially in Nigeria for a wealthy man not to have a son. If you are a nobody it is ok[/size] undecided
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 9:40am On Aug 20, 2010
private initiative yes
monopoly no!
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by tkb417(m): 9:41am On Aug 20, 2010
Nice one

never knew anybody called Da Rocha

good to know the story nehind ADRAO

one of the good schools around (when i was growing up tho) dont know about now
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by tpiah: 3:09pm On Aug 20, 2010
never heard of him but why the question.

this type of thread should be under yoruba history or in culture section.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Jarus(m): 6:47pm On Aug 20, 2010
Reall reading about Da Rocha some years ago as a feature story in, I think, Guardian then, but never knew he was the first Nigeria's millionaire.
We know new things everyday.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by jara: 7:04pm On Aug 20, 2010
Most of the the real Lagosian families around Popo Aguda still know them and their extended families. Note that most Lagosians are related anyway, especially around the Brazilian quarters.

Apart from the fact that he was the richest man, he was never a conspicious spender. Actually some people thought he was too frugal.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by safariman(m): 8:30pm On Aug 20, 2010
I thought I read somewhere where Ikemba Ojukwu's father was the first millionaire
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by sjeezy8: 8:43pm On Aug 20, 2010
which da rocha is it Ive read of different ones-
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by oderemo(m): 8:49pm On Aug 20, 2010
I thought I read somewhere where Ikemba Ojukwu's father was the first millionaire
here we go again, had to slot in one jew descendant to beat common Brazilian.

2 Likes

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Ofemmanu: 9:03pm On Aug 20, 2010
safariman:

You are right man!!

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by mamagee3(f): 9:05pm On Aug 20, 2010
Is Da rocha the same man that opened up that charity school or something?

I think his name looks familiar.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 7:14am On Aug 21, 2010
[size=14pt]There is popular saying in Yoruba if you want to lure somone into spending money as if there is no tommorrow. The person would resist your trap by saying " do u think I am Da Rocha" I can see there is a history to that saying this man must have had obsene wealth to attract such an accolade which has become part and parcel of the Yoruba lexicon.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by johnie: 7:21am On Aug 21, 2010
I remember hearing that when I was growing up!
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 7:49am On Aug 21, 2010
[size=14pt]Could it be that this gentleman died a pauper having once being the richest man in Nigeria for such a saying" do you think I am Da Rocha" to have become so popular.  Was it as a result of their father's extravegance and consequent poverty the family members felt embarass and they decided to jettison the name for something else. I would not want to have a surname like "Anini OR Dimka" neither.[/size]  undecided

1 Like

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by Abagworo(m): 10:51am On Aug 21, 2010
Possibly still they might have sold off their fortunes and gone back to Brazil or elsewhere.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by johnie: 11:31am On Aug 21, 2010
There was a J da Rocha Afodu who was at the College of Medicine, University of Lagos.

I believe that must have been one of his descendants.

It would be best for NLanders to desist from posting instead of denigrating people.

We ought to share ideas and knowledge rather than dragging this forum into the cesspit!

3 Likes

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by tpiah: 1:51am On Aug 22, 2010
^^thank you.

knowall, if you have nothing better to do with your time, hop over to sexuality section and chat with walestar or mobo444.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by KnowAll(m): 11:39am On Aug 22, 2010
There was a J da Rocha Afodu who was at the College of Medicine, University of Lagos.

I believe that must have been one of his descendants.

It would be best for NLanders to desist from posting instead of denigrating people.

We ought to share ideas and knowledge rather than dragging this forum into the cesspit!
Report to moderator   Logged
tpiah

Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ?
« #29 on: Today at 01:51:23 AM »

^^thank you.

knowall, if you have nothing better to do with your time, hop over to sexuality section and chat with walestar or mobo444.

Report to moderator   Logged

I am not having a go at this family, I am enquiry about the decendents, however that is not the main reason why I posted this piece in the first place. The essence of this article is to home in and emphasis that once upon a time there was a thriving private initiated business in our country that worked

The leaders of today and those in the corridor's of power should borrow a leaf from the past to allow private hands to take over some of those run down and broken government conglomerates needless to say NNPC and NEPA

The bidding process should be done openly with a high degree transparency like the way PUBLIC auctions are done in the west.
Re: Da Rocha- Nigeria's First Millionaire What Has Happened To This Family ? by jerseyguy(m): 1:08pm On Aug 22, 2010
Knowall:

Your historical perspectives are well taken. And I don't think Da Rocha was the only one (or only family) engaged in private practice back then. And folks it does not matter if he had a son or not, there are a lot of female entrepreneurs.

But it will take decades (okay several years) before we see true entrepreneurs again! I read above above about Dangote, Jimoh Ibrahim etc , as much as they are successful, I don't see them as true entrepreneurs, they are more fronts and money launderers as opposed to wealth creators or nation/industrial builders! I am appalled at the "new" domestic terminal of Lagos airport - let's see what he will do with Lagos-Ibadan expressway. Jimoh Ibrahim is now the largest shareholder of Virgin Nigeria/Air Nigeria, and his first utterance is against Richard Branson as opposed to an outline of how Air Nigeria will be successful. Yes, Arik is also on downward spiral.

And the famed Ibru family is slowly disappearing (unlike, Da Rocha, they have sons :-) ).

These older generations need to ensure new plants, buildings, roads, etc are built to very good standards rather than "coaching" their foreign contractors on how to "cut corners". I truly hope NNPC and other public enterprises end up in the hands of true industrial builders - at this point, it is not relevant if they are Nigerians or not. I don't believe we are ready for such tasks (large scale enterprise).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2015 Elections, One Of The Most Rigged In Nigeria / Metuh To EFCC: I’d Rather Starve Than Refund N400m / Killer Of General Mohammed Shuwa Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.