Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,197 members, 7,825,760 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) (48457 Views)

Not All Parts Of Imo State Is Expensive To Marry From: Enough Is Enough / Upata Rivers State Bride Price, Marriage Constitution - Photos / Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 12:30am On Feb 05, 2019
Elder0001:

You lack wisdom.

Y is this not an issue? Afonja

President Buhari collected 12 gold coins as Zahra bride price. https://punchng.com/buhari-gives-daughter-12-gold-coins/
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Kokomulo222: 12:31am On Feb 05, 2019
RTSC:
What nonsense?

Nobody begged you to come marry.

In India, women pay dowry while In some parts of Nigeria, a man must show the strength of his arm financially before he can marry a woman.
Different strokes for different folks.

It used to be barns of yams in the olden days as depicted in Chinua Achebe "things fall apart" and has now modernized to other material things.

What ever works. As long as failed men are weeded out.

If in your place, they give out women two for five naira, all well and good.
Your sense of good is not universal.
One of the most sensible response to this topic I must say. In the days a man's capacity to marry was determined by the acres of farm he cultivated, the size of his ban. Who wants his daughter to marry an 'onuka'? While balance is key, list for bride price is not universal. Why marry when u are not capable? Besides, has it ever occurred to anyone that anything gotten for free is never appreciated? Ask Adam the bride price for Eve.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 12:31am On Feb 05, 2019
Instead of to face your President, u are going for the Igbo nation.

Igbo people will never end bride price system.

We will rather increase it, so yoruba can stay away.

We dont want lazy Afonja coming to steal all our beautiful women.

u think we dont know where u are heading... dead on arrival

President Buhari collected 12 gold coins as Zahra bride price. https://punchng.com/buhari-gives-daughter-12-gold-coins/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by ojuu4u(m): 12:34am On Feb 05, 2019
pocohantas:
Ishi, the thing we need to know is, some of our Igbo brothers are very egoistic. I have seen several cases where the man brought double the list (no jokes). Sometimes because he believes his wife is of so much value, other times for show off.

These items are not always the actual list.

If you say so but not biliv, in imo state to be specific, the dowry and other items present during traditional marriage are huge and costly, it's been debated live on AIT once, even imo state ladies used to lament whenever they meet serious guys if they would be able to meet demands of their family.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 12:35am On Feb 05, 2019
ojuu4u:

If you say so but not biliv, in imo state to be specific, the dowry and other items present during traditional marriage are many and costly, it's been debated live on AIT once, even imo state ladies used to complain whenever they meet guys if they would be able to meet demands from her family.

wat do u have to say about your president?

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 12:36am On Feb 05, 2019
Leave Igbo nation and face your President.

President Buhari collected 12 gold coins as Zahra bride price.
https://punchng.com/buhari-gives-daughter-12-gold-coins/
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by ibkonekt(m): 12:36am On Feb 05, 2019
Kokomulo222:

One of the most sensible response to this topic I must say. In the days a man's capacity to marry was determined by the acres of farm he cultivated, the size of his ban. Who wants his daughter to marry an 'onuka'? While balance is key, list for bride price is not universal. Why marry when u are not capable? Besides, has it ever occurred to anyone that anything gotten for free is never appreciated? Ask Adam the bride price for Eve.

the best things in life are free

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by uuzba(m): 12:37am On Feb 05, 2019
RTSC:
What nonsense?

Nobody begged you to come marry.

In India, women pay dowry while In some parts of Nigeria, a man must show the strength of his arm financially before he can marry a woman.
Different strokes for different folks.

It used to be barns of yams in the olden days as depicted in Chinua Achebe "things fall apart" and has now modernized to other material things.

What ever works. As long as failed men are weeded out.

If in your place, they give out women two for five naira, all well and good.
Your sense of good is not universal.

In India....
You said "in India".... A whole country of over 100million people. In india....
So why isn't IN NIGERIA just only ONE WAY of doing it?
Let us know that we are not a country. Since every region does different things. Anybody who thinks he is marrying a "Nigerian" is decieving himself. There's nothing like "A Nigerian". Make sure you marry your tribe and let's call an end to intertribal marriages. I go on the road tomorrow and shoot anybody who is not from my village. Men, women and children.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by amia: 12:37am On Feb 05, 2019
Elder0001:

Are you trying to put your state in good light r what ? All Igbo states do this.
i stand to be corrected ,in d igbo tradition there is something we call "edunor" in interpretation it simply means send forth.from my observation of the items in d picture it's not the bride price it's d edunor ,these are item the family and friends contributed voluntarily to send her forth to her new home.its a thing of great pride for every igbo woman to be blessed with this type of send forth .our tradition is our honour and pride (this is actually small judging by d way I plan to send forth my own daughter wen she will be getting married ,don't worry u will shout wen u see dat one)

5 Likes

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by bizhop01: 12:39am On Feb 05, 2019
All this things na for this ugly girl grin
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 12:39am On Feb 05, 2019
uuzba:

In India....
You said "in India".... A whole country of over 100million people. In india....
So why isn't IN NIGERIA just only ONE WAY of doing it?
Let us know that we are not a country. Since every region does different things. Anybody who thinks he is marrying a "Nigerian" is decieving himself. There's nothing like "A Nigerian". Make sure you marry your tribe and let's call an end to intertribal marriages. I go on the road tomorrow and shoot anybody who is not from my village. Men, women and children.

Look here Mr, Yoruba polygamy and failed marriages will never be allowed to spread into Igbo land.

It is Yoruba that need to change and join the rest of us with paying Bride Price and not the other way round.

Do u hear me?

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 05, 2019
GBOKASINCHA:
Our igbo hunks aint complaining kiss they are always up to the task .....thats why we love them...most of the ppl that complain about igbo culture are afonja men...stick to your chimpazees if you dont have money to marry from igbo land

Useless and classless baboon and olosho from the land of the flat headed monkeys is what u are.. I can see that your parents did a very bad parenting work in your upbringing.. oponu

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Nobody: 12:41am On Feb 05, 2019
amia:
i stand to be corrected ,in d igbo tradition there is something we call "edunor" in interpretation it simply means send forth.from my observation of the items in d picture it's not the bride price it's d edunor ,these are item the family and friends contributed voluntarily to send her forth to her new home.its a thing of great pride for every igbo woman to be blessed with this type of send forth .our tradition is our honour and pride

Lmao. Whatever it is, Igbo culture is the most degrading and insane culture in Africa

5 Likes

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by DavidEsq(m): 12:42am On Feb 05, 2019
Tallesty1:
Lols. I am from Enugu sir and we don't sale our women
Of course, u don't SALE ur women. U only SELL them undecided

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by uuzba(m): 12:42am On Feb 05, 2019
Kokomulo222:

Did Adam ask for Eve? God gave Eve to Adam when he was even sleeping.
No price should be put on any human being's head. Without God doing so, none of us will be here.
Check your logic carefully. God is the one who gives. Stop selling human beings and giving excuses. Oyibo have seen all these things and they don't sell their daughters.

3 Likes

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by TLinkSystems: 12:43am On Feb 05, 2019
Get all for N1,500

GIVEAWAY OF THE YEAR

1. Top Secrets of Mini Importation Business in Nigeria
How to import goods from China at cheap prices and sell high in Nigeria
How to source for original products and avoid mistakes
How to sell the imported goods fast
How to sell on Julia and Konga
Sure Chinese contacts for procurement that will make the business easy for you
Hot in demand products that sell fast in Nigeria
Website to buy from at the lowest prices
How to write a powerful ad content for your goods
How to run a powerful and converting ads on Facebook
These and many more

2. Secrets of a Six-Figure Upworker by Danny Margulies
Stop bidding job after job on Upwork; learn the little known strategies to attract rockstar clients & command premium fees on Upwork
Designing a High-End Freelancing Business
Eliminating Competition: The Art of Strategic Positioning; Commanding Attention in the Crowded Marketplace
Overcome the fear of "Can I Deliver" and Learn the best PROPOSAL writing techniques that will make you get endless clients on Upwork

3. Freelance Copywriter's Code by Danny Margulies
Learn how to write high-converting copy that clients love
How to write captivating emails that get opened and read every single time
How to write powerhouse press releases that get clients publicity and exposure
How to write explainer video scripts that get watched and shared
How to write mouth-watering case studies that help clients make more sales
How to write landing pages that get your clients leads and subscribers

4. Covert Curator
NEW Software Creates Top-Converting, PROFITABLE Authority WordPress Sites In ANY Niche In Minutes...WITHOUT You Ever Writing A Single Word Of Content!
Grab 100% FREE Viral Traffic From FB, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn AND Google While Building A List & INSTANTLY Monetizing Your Traffic
Never Write A Word Of Content again; own multiple sites with INCREDIBLE content simply by curating posts & articles OTHERS have written!
Overcome the fear of writing CONTENT in order to own a profitable blog

5. Diabolic Traffic Bot -The most powerful traffic bot
Create an endless stream of visitors, views, votes and impressions and boost your stats incredibly!
It can generate unlimited web traffic to any website, video or blog
You can use it to offer traffic gig on Fiverr

6. 1 Million + PLR Articles v2 Monster Package!
When You Harness The Power of PLR! Not only will it save you time, it can save you hours of tedious time-consuming work writing the articles yourself, a ton of money and put you on the fast track to success for far less than any other publishing method available.
This MONSTER PLR package includes Private Label Rights to 1,000,000+ articles - all in hot, in demand topics that people will thank you for publishing! It includes 2000+ Main Categories & Sub – Sub categories
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 12:43am On Feb 05, 2019
Nigeria have not reach the level of living your house to go and tell another man in his house, how to manage his home.

Dat is not y Nigeria was created.

At the end of the day, Yoruba will join the rest of us in paying bride price.

That will be the end result for obsessing over Igbo.

u will start paying for your marriages in Yoruba land.

President Buhari collected 12 gold coins as Zahra bride price.
https://punchng.com/buhari-gives-daughter-12-gold-coins/
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Colb461: 12:45am On Feb 05, 2019
Ishilove:
Online aproko outlets claim this happened in Enugu, others swear it is Imo.cheesy

Regardless of where this happened, the lines between tradition and downright extortion is blurred in many cases.

Let me do a quick inventory-

A big nanny goat
2 trays of Nittol detergent
A basin of coconut
Three suitcases of Hollandis wrappers and assorted wax prints
One bag of rice
Two crates of drinks
One crate of beer

Is that a salon size pack of Profectiv Mega Growth relaxer i see there...??

Yep it is. I wonder when hair relaxer became a part of omenala. (tradition)

Emm, I sight giant can of peak milk
Something that looks like custard
A basin of big sized Canoe bar soap

I can't keep up. My eyes are aching and I'm tired of squinting. embarassed

So what happens to the struggling man who can't afford these cutthroat lists?

d wife to be is for sale if that the case
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Nobody: 12:45am On Feb 05, 2019
0koyeeboz:
Why didn't they add vegetable oil and firewood with spoons?

Greedy flatheaded paupers selling their yam legged girls.

Las las grin

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Nobody: 12:55am On Feb 05, 2019
MRSoftapples:
No big deal.

It is tradition and you have to respect tradition.

It's been like this for years and the men that got married to the Ladies from that locality, ain't complaining.

Everything that was bought won't make a successful marriage and even those that do not require enough, still won't make a successful marriage.

The most important thing is that, the couples love each other.

Culture or not, The love they have is all that matters.
Cultures, traditions, norms and values change with time. If the Tiv or abi na Idoma could reduce marriage expenses to about 100k then those traditions of charging exorbitant money as bride must stop. With time what happened in Benue will befall those areas in the east. It is just a matter of time before many persons will marry outside their communities leaving their girls behind.

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 12:57am On Feb 05, 2019
asuustrike1:

Cultures, traditions, norms and values change with time. If the Tiv or abi na Idoma could reduce marriage expenses to about 100k then those traditions of charging exorbitant money as bride must stop. With time what happened in Benue will befall those areas in the east. It is just a matter of time before many persons will marry outside their communities leaving their girls behind.

Igbo people will never change that culture.

Y? we have Yoruba, bini, ijaw, hausa billionaires that are very happy to marry our girls should Igbo men leave their girls behind. grin grin grin grin

Igbo girls na hot-cake

Besides Igbo men like myself love this culture.

We use it to display affluence and wealth that earn us respect from our inlaws.

We are talking about Igbo men that go to party and throw money just for show here.

If Igbo men dont like this culture we would have ended it, but the truth is, we love it.

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by SjMbula(m): 12:57am On Feb 05, 2019
Choi! Shey na dis kind leg mgbeke go trekk reach Umuahia.
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 12:59am On Feb 05, 2019
SjMbula:
Choi! Shey na dis kind leg mgbeke go trekk reach Umuahia.

The girl that, the man did all that for, dont u see how beautiful she is?

It is a thing of pride and honor for her.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Rubbiish(m): 1:14am On Feb 05, 2019
pocohantas:
[s]Ishi, the thing we need to know is, some of our Igbo brothers are very egoistic. I have seen several cases where the man brought double the list (no jokes). Sometimes because he believes his wife is of so much value, other times for show off.

These items are not always the actual list[/s].
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 1:15am On Feb 05, 2019
pocohantas:
Ishi, the thing we need to know is, some of our Igbo brothers are very egoistic. I have seen several cases where the man brought double the list (no jokes). Sometimes because he believes his wife is of so much value, other times for show off.

These items are not always the actual list.

E dey happen steady.

Bill me biko... grin grin

Wat do u want?

Mansion or Private jet...
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Evidenx(m): 1:20am On Feb 05, 2019
This is a mini market ooo. seen why young men are afraid to get married.

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Yankee101: 1:23am On Feb 05, 2019
Just go open provision shop

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by topboss: 1:23am On Feb 05, 2019
Evidenx:
This is a mini market ooo. seen why young men are afraid to get married.

Young men dont want to get married becos they are busy chasing girls.

wen dey get tired, they marry.

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Nobody: 1:24am On Feb 05, 2019
Livecamp09:

Useless and classless baboon and olosho from the land of the flat headed monkeys is what u are.. I can see that your parents did a very bad parenting work in your upbringing.. oponu
stinking yoruba dirty man....the most ugliest of men....but shouting yoruba demon claiming cassanovas......igbo men dont even blow their trumpets but they are the most well built and the most good looking out of africa....you think marrying the little efulefu igbo women will make you born good looking men like igbos?
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by donblade85555(m): 1:33am On Feb 05, 2019
MRSoftapples:
No big deal.

It is tradition and you have to respect tradition.

It's been like this for years and the men that got married to the Ladies from that locality, ain't complaining.

Everything that was bought won't make a successful marriage and even those that do not require enough, still won't make a successful marriage.

The most important thing is that, the couples love each other.

Culture or not, The love they have is all that matters.

did your fore fathers drink beer?
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by danchi2019(m): 1:34am On Feb 05, 2019
that is why most guys are still single
Re: Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) by Judybash93(m): 1:36am On Feb 05, 2019
Ishilove:

Get a room, you two
grin grin
Hahahaha

grin[center][/center] cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

'I Have Been Sleeping With Your Brother' – Wife Tells Husband / Husband Presents Wife’s Love Messages, Nude Pictures In Court / I Caught My 14-year-old Son Watching Porn..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.