Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,201 members, 7,811,530 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! (2630 Views)

Orubebe Is A Disgrace, Afraid Of Probe- Oshiomhole / Diezani Confesses: I Stepped On Big Toes, But I Never Commited Any Crime / Its A Disgrace For Neighbours To Join Boko Haram Fight - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Justcash(m): 4:27pm On Aug 20, 2010
Is this the same country that wants to introduce Nuclear technology?

[b] The Passengers travelling through the new domestic terminal of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, MMA2, Ikeja, Lagos, may have to avoid using the escalator in the building, as some persons have in the past few weeks lost their toes to facility.

A woman travelling through the terminal was said to have lost three of her toes to the escalator two days ago, and was rushed to Zenith Medicare within the terminal building for first aid treatment before being transferred to unidentified hospitals.

A source told Vanguard yesterday that the last incident came barely a week after a young boy in company of his mother also lost a toe to the escalator.

“It appears there is something wrong with the excavator or that they are not maintaining it. A woman lost three of her toes to the escalator yesterday (Wednesday) and was taken to Zenith Medical Centre within the building.

“About a week ago, a small boy travelling with the mother also lost his toe to the escalator. His leg got hooked into it as he was about getting off and it chopped of his toe. It seems the authorities are not aware of the problem,” the source said.

At the terminal building yesterday, some technicians were seen watching over the escalator, apparently to intervene if and when somebody gets trapped.

However, efforts to get response of management of Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited, operators of the terminal, on the issue proved abortive as the spokesman, Mr. Chukwudi Offormata, was not forthcoming with a response.

On earlier calls put to him, he said he was in a meeting and promised to call back, which he did hours later to say the company would come up with an official response today.

“We shall put up an official response tomorrow (today). Please do bear with us,” he said on the telephone last night.
[/b]
Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/08/20/mma-escalator-chops-off-passengers%E2%80%99-toes/
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Beaf: 4:33pm On Aug 20, 2010
I have never ever heard of toes getting chopped off by an escalator. Damn! shocked
What a disgrace! Even shops have such escalators and toes aren't getting chopped off!

If this story is true then we need to know two things.
1. Who manufactured the escalator
2. Who has been maintaining the escalator

The fault (and who to drop the hammer on) lies between the two areas of responsibility above.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by tpiah: 4:34pm On Aug 20, 2010
please use google as needed undecided

escalators can be dangerous, like virtually everything else in this world

Danger On The Escalator

Children And Elderly High At Risk Losing Toes And Fingers

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/17/earlyshow/living/ConsumerWatch/main674650.shtml

People are injured on metro Atlanta escalators several times a week. While only a handful of cases involve disfiguring entrapments, several escalator riders suffer serious injuries when their luggage or clothing becomes entangled or they fall on the machiner

Read more: http://news.injuryboard.com/escalator-dangers-safety.aspx?googleid=252928#ixzz0xAkbtP6s

snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/escalator.asp

note: i'm not saying the issue couldnt be a maintenance probloem.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by philip0906(m): 4:36pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^
so it now means our toes can be chopped off by MMA's escalators? undecided
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by tpiah: 4:41pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^escalators can be dangerous.

i didnt appreciate this either until i saw one oyibo guy teaching his child how to safely get on and off an escalator, a while ago.

even many adults tend to be unaware of the risks.

Safe riding: official safety foundation guidelines

While some escalator accidents are caused by a mechanical failure, most can be avoided by following some simple safety precautions. The Elevator Escalator Safety Foundation is a major advocate for safe riding in the United States and Canada, sponsors National Elevator Escalator Safety Week each year, and publishes its own suggestions for safe riding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator#Safety
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Akanbiedu(m): 4:42pm On Aug 20, 2010

Is this the same country that wants to introduce Nuclear technology?

people need to believe in themselves for once! You think people that started Nuclear Technology did not take risks? Now the risk is even smaller.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Justcash(m): 4:51pm On Aug 20, 2010
tpiah:

please use google as needed undecided

escalators can be dangerous, like virtually everything else in this world
Yes it can be dangerous, but precautions and strict safety measures are taken to avoid injuries caused by them. Flying in an aeroplane, driving a car, drinking alchohol, having sex etc can be dangerous too, but that does not mean that they should not be used or done. proper safety measures are supposed to be taken to reduce the probability of the incidents happening . I have not heard of Escalators chopping off people's toes like this one. The major incident is normally people falling off it. At MMA, First it was a Kid's toe. Barely a week later, three toes from a woman. It's more like a "toe" donating machine.

Akanbi_edu:

people need to believe in themselves for once! You think people that started Nuclear Technology did not take risks? Now the risk is even smaller.

Yes, other countries took some risks before succeeding. But we dnt need to take the risks anymore, because the risk has been taken, and safety measures to reduce damages from the inventions has been outlined through years of experience by the people that invented the technologies.  Those countries took reasonable and sometimes unavoidable risks. Nigeria is a country where what is supposed to be a risk or mistake is carried out deliberately to avoid high cost or collect "Corrupt" monetary share in contracts. I hope you know the implication of not properly handling nuclear materials. If you know, then you won't be talking the way you are doing. A Simple escalator is not properly handled, is it Nuclear technology that will be handled properly?
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by tpiah: 4:54pm On Aug 20, 2010
Justcash:

Yes it can be dangerous, but precautions and strict safety measures are taken to avoid injuries caused by them. Flying in an aeroplane, driving a car, drinking alchohol, having sex etc can be dangerous too, but that does not mean that they should not be used or done. proper safety measures are supposed to be taken to reduce the probability of the incidents to happen. . I have not heard of Escalators chopping off people's toes like this one. The major incident is normally people falling off it. At MMA, First it was a Kid's toe. Barely a week later, three toes from a woman. It's more like a "toe" donating machine.

use google more and bring yourself up to date.

sign on escalator in spain:

from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Metro-Madrid-Escaleras_mec%C3%A1nicas.svg
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Justcash(m): 5:10pm On Aug 20, 2010
tpiah:

use google more and bring yourself up to date.
sign on escalator in spain:

I suppose you are trying to imply that we should not use Escalators because our toes will be chopped off. So the Sign means that if you use the escalator, you stand to have your toes cut off one day. You gat to be joking. Does the no smoking sign in Aeroplanes and Lifts mean that if you smoke in them you stand to die for sure? Is it Only MMA that has escalators in Nigeria?
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by tpiah: 5:16pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^i'm actually not sure you understand and comprehend english.

no offence.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by idupaul: 5:25pm On Aug 20, 2010
When on an escalator stand in the middle of stair block u are on and and avoid jumping stair blocks . once ur stairs get to where the blocks fold and the flight ends carelfully lift all ur toes and slide or jump lightly of the eskie . Used the one at mm2 this week and it looked pretty all right to me
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by tkb417(m): 5:37pm On Aug 20, 2010
tpiah:

no offence.
LOL

thank you for doing justice to this thread

i think tpiah has responded well to the topic

u toes can be chopped off even in ATL, so guys give it a rest

The reason the sign is there is for u to be careful

jeez
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by tkb417(m): 5:38pm On Aug 20, 2010
idupaul:

When on an escalator stand in the middle of stair block u are on and and avoid jumping stair blocks . once your stairs get to where the blocks fold and the flight ends carelfully lift all your toes and slide or jump lightly of the eskie . Used the one at mm2 this week and it looked pretty all right to me
i use that airport almost every week. the escalator is perfect to me
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 20, 2010
Arent you supposed to lift your feet off the escalator on the 2nd to the last step?
I've always been scared of escalators. That's why I dont bother with it when stairs and elevators are around.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by GAR3TH(m): 6:01pm On Aug 20, 2010
I dont think its the escalator that is the problem, I think its the people that dont know how to properly use them
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 20, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Arent you supposed to lift your feet off the escalator on the 2nd to the last step?
I've always been scared of escalators. That's why I dont bother with it when stairs and elevators are around.
not everybody is used to modern facilities
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 20, 2010
~Bluetooth:

True.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Spyker: 6:07pm On Aug 20, 2010
Using the escalators is not by force, you have to be careful just as you apply caution in many other things. All the same, the NCAA, FAAN and all those involved in the aviation business should cover their faces in shame and must be made to pay damages to who ever is injured by the escalator.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by tkb417(m): 6:14pm On Aug 20, 2010
Spyker:

Using the escalators is not by force, you have to be careful just as you apply caution in many other things. All the same, the NCAA, FAAN and all those involved in the aviation business should cover their faces in shame and must be made to pay damages to who ever is injured by the escalator.

sorry sir
why should they cover their heads in shame?

what did they do wrong?

they put ur legs in the escalators or what
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by johnie: 6:54pm On Aug 20, 2010
Tkb417, idpaul & tpiah

Spot on!
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 20, 2010
tkb417:

sorry sir
why should they cover their heads in shame?

what did they do wrong?

they put your legs in the escalators or what
~Bluetooth:

spyker belong to the category of such people. Abeg leavem jo
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by denzel2009: 7:08pm On Aug 20, 2010
idupaul:

When on an escalator stand in the middle of stair block u are on and and avoid jumping stair blocks . once your stairs get to where the blocks fold and the flight ends carelfully lift all your toes and slide or jump lightly of the eskie . Used the one at mm2 this week and it looked pretty all right to me

Here,you have to keep to the right if you are not moving. It has actually swallowed my shoe lace before but for it to chop a toe off something must be wrong.

Also, if something is stuck in it, it would automatically stop moving as per safety precautions.

They need to look into that MMA's escalator that desire toes everyweek.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by xterra2(m): 10:47pm On Aug 20, 2010
GAR3TH:

I dont think its the escalator that is the problem, I think its the people that dont know how to properly use them
Me too Exactly
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by DisGuy: 11:23pm On Aug 20, 2010
Sue them!!

Stop blaming the Users!!

people that fall on the pavements are not accused of not knowing how to walk properly

people that fall on slippery floors should not be accused of not looking - the management should get the blame simple!

they should install a better fail-proof escalator or fix rubber to the sharp edges!!
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Nobody: 11:29pm On Aug 20, 2010
Dis Guy:

Sue them!!

Stop blaming the Users!!

people that fall on the pavements are not accused of not knowing how to walk properly

people that fall on slippery floors should not be accused of not looking - the management should get the blame simple!

they should install a better fail-proof escalator or fix rubber to the sharp edges!!
grin grin grin

There's always a sign for caution near a slippery floor.

As I'm sure there's alway a safety sign near the escalator; WATCH YOUR STEPS WITH CAUTION.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by DisGuy: 11:41pm On Aug 20, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

grin grin grin

There's always a sign for caution near a slippery floor.

As I'm sure there's alway a safety sign near the escalator; WATCH YOUR STEPS WITH CAUTION.

never seen it, the escalators in my village are fail-proof chop-toe-proof grin
the only thing its say is stand on the right wink

so safe you can ski on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqQOlYE4EE
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by bidemi12(m): 12:08am On Aug 21, 2010
Nigerians will never cease to amaze me. Can you imagine? a person loses his/her toes while embarking/disembarking from an escalator and some morons here are blaming the pedestrian. well i will not blame them too much. Nigerians/Nigeria offers nothing in terms of standards or safety so they know no better. for your information when an organization provides an equipment for public use it is obligated to ensure that the equipment is serviceable and safe. for those who don't know the escalator in question was never serviceable nor in good condition in the first place. i was not there but from my experience plying escalators i am sure, aside from triping and falling head over heels from the top, it is one of the most safe and fast means of moving up or down a building. Aside the onus of responsibility being on the organization, the authorities should have checked to make sure that all equipmen provided were safe for public use. Like i said Nigeria/Nigerians offer nothing in terms of safety or standard so they know no better.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Justcash(m): 3:26am On Aug 21, 2010
bidemi12:

Nigerians will never cease to amaze me. Can you imagine? a person loses his/her toes while embarking/disembarking from an escalator and some morons here are blaming the pedestrian. well i will not blame them too much. Nigerians/Nigeria offers nothing in terms of standards or safety so they know no better. for your information when an organization provides an equipment for public use it is obligated to ensure that the equipment is serviceable and safe. for those who don't know the escalator in question was never serviceable nor in good condition in the first place. i was not there but from my experience plying escalators i am sure, aside from triping and falling head over heels from the top, it is one of the most safe and fast means of moving up or down a building. Aside the onus of responsibility being on the organization, the authorities should have checked to make sure that all equipmen provided were safe for public use. Like i said Nigeria/Nigerians offer nothing in terms of safety or standard so they know no better.

Do you mind Tpiah and co who are fast to point to English understanding when a valid and important point is being made. That is the problem with Nigeria. Beating about the bush, seeking for who to engage in unnecessary arguments with and visibly neglecting their own rights. The Morons think that the people whose toes were chopped off were too careless on the Escalator so much that they did not see their toes get stuck and chopped off! How careless can you be before an escalator chops off your leg? It is people like Tpiah and Co that will continue to hold Nigeria down with their "ITK" (I too know) Attitude.

tpiah:

no offence.
[b]

It is you that should be asked the question. We are talking of lack of proper quality standard and safety assurance of the escalator, you keep pointing at other countries that have ensured those as example of countries where escalators have chopped off the toes of their citizens. You are indeed not worth arguing with. That is why I ignored your post that is above in the first place. Keep speaking and understanding English while your people's toes keeps getting chopped off. That is how we speak and understand good English in Nigeria, yet we are so backwards when compared to people that cannot speak and understand it properly. Colonial mentality dey worry you. Nonsense!
So because there is a no smoking sign in an Aeroplane, the manufacturers and operators of the Aeroplane would not ensure their travellers safety even if they happen to disobey and smoke in  the Aeroplane? Do you really think that the manufacturers of the escalator did not ensure an application of safety measures to ensure the safety of it's users even if the users of the escalator stands wrongly?  Na only MMA get escalator? Isn't it clear to you that the operators and providers of the escalators got something wrong in terms of safety assurance? Na wa for you and your brain o [/b]
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by OAM4J: 3:39am On Aug 21, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

oko ekiti ko ti kuro lara e grin Anyway, pls avoid it dont want you lose your toes. grin
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Justcash(m): 3:54am On Aug 21, 2010
I bet if this Incident in the video below happened in MMA, there will be a harvest of Toes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzRDWSYegNM&feature=fvw
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Nobody: 3:56am On Aug 21, 2010
OAM4J:

oko ekiti ko ti kuro lara e grin Anyway, pls avoid it dont want you lose your toes.  grin

I make sure it doesnt  cool

Dis Guy:

never seen it, the escalators in my village are fail-proof chop-toe-proof  grin
the only thing its say is stand on the right wink

so safe you can ski on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqQOlYE4EE
I doubt the topic was talking about the linear escalator like the one in that video. I'm thinking it's the stair-case one. undecided

Anywaz, they usually put those signs next to stairs and escalators.
Re: Beware Of MMA's Escalator. It Chops Off Travellers Toes. What A Disgrace! by Beaf: 3:58am On Aug 21, 2010
I once switched off the escalator on the London underground when a elderly man lost his footing. I cannot recall ever seeing switches customers can use at MMA.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos FRSC Didn’t Announce Closure Of 3rd Mainland Bridge / APGA Victory: Ume Leads Obiano To Ojukwu's Mausoleum(pictures) / Write Boko Haram To Stop Attacks, Oritsejafor Tells Sultan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.