Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries (31137 Views)

Osun Governorship: Supreme Court Will Still Favour Me – Adeleke / Diri Appeals Judgement Nullifying His Election As Bayelsa Governor / Osun Governorship: Supreme Court Names Five-man Panel, Fixes Date For Hearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by budaatum: 3:07pm On Feb 08, 2019
Tetehjewels:

In a nutshell, APC still have the option of Order of Mandamus

Mandamus, the judicial remedy in the form of an order from a court to any government, subordinate court, corporation, or public authority, to do some specific act which that body is obliged under law to do, and which is in the nature of public duty, and in certain cases one of a statutory duty.

Did your parent order mad man noose your teacher to pass you when your homework was late?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by wilcox(m): 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2019
Angelb4:

This guy, english far from you. Get a Queen Premier book quickly
Really, can you please point out his mistakes and correct him as well?
If you ask me, I will say you lack adequate skill of comprehension of written English.
Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2019

3 Likes

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by Jowanson: 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2019
Mariory:
Fake news!

Not one account states when the Supreme court met to pass this judgement. Who was the Justice thst delivered the judgement?

Fake news!

Calm down...its all the TV!

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by Jowanson: 3:19pm On Feb 08, 2019
Arysexy:

Channels have gone to the dogs. They were scrolling it as Breaking news along with the INEC extension of date for card picking. All of a sudden they stopped scrolling the supreme Court ruling and left only the INEC extension news as Breaking. I believe they got calls from above to stop breaking the news.

Don't mind that channel..news wey done reach China sef...lolzzz

3 Likes

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by budaatum: 3:23pm On Feb 08, 2019
fergie001:
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

This is the only header bearing "Supreme Court upholds Court of Appeal judgement".... which is untrue, let's not create a confusion here...Infact,the Supreme Court jettisoned the Court of Appeal and affirmed the judgement of the Rivers state High Court.....

I will help you....

https://punchng.com/just-in-supreme-court-upholds-high-court-judgement-on-rivers-apc/amp/

http://saharareporters.com/2019/02/08/breaking-supreme-court-upholds-judgment-nullifying-rivers-apc-primaries

http://dailypost.ng/2019/02/08/breaking-rivers-apc-supreme-court-affirms-judgement-lower-court/amp/

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/02/08/supreme-court-upholds-annulment-of-rivers-apc-primaries/?amp

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/02/breaking-supreme-court-upholds-judgement-nullifying-rivers-apc-primaries/amp/

Even the daily trust,the OP quoted,I don't understand.....
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/rivers-govship-supreme-court-upholds-judgement-nullifying-apc-primaries.html

So Mods,be careful with your headline....
Hmm! Are you correct? There's a lot of people I'll have to grovel to if so! Mods!!

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2019
budaatum:

Hmm! Are you correct? There's a lot of people I'll have to grovel to if so! Mods!!
Just read them.....I don't know where they all brought CoA judgement from,to confuse themselves....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 3:36pm On Feb 08, 2019
budaatum:

The Supreme Court has upheld the annulment of the All Progressives Congress primaries in Rivers State by a Federal High Court in Port Harcourt.

A five-man panel of justices led by Mohammed Dattijo dismissed the objection filed by Tonye Cole’s faction of the APC that it had earlier withdrawn from the appeal against the judgement.

The High Court on January 7, 2019, in its ruling restrained INEC from presenting Tonye Cole, Magnus Abe and other candidates APC presented for the Rivers State gubernatorial election.

On Monday, the Court of Appeal granted stay of execution of the Federal High Court’s judgement but Cole’s faction proceeded to the Supreme Court.

In October 2018, A State High Court nullified the two candidates produced by one faction loyal to the minister of transportation Rotimi Amaechi and the other loyal to serving senator, Magnus Abe, following the controversies that marred the party’s primaries.

The two factions conducted parallel primaries that produced two sets of candidates.

While the faction loyal to Amaechi produced Cole as its the state governorship candidate, the other loyal to Abe, produced him as its own candidate.

The national secretariat of the APC, however, forwarded Cole’s name to INEC.

In a suit filed by Abe, the Federal High court declared that the APC, for failing to respect the law, must bear the consequences of her disobedience to the law.

The judge Kolawole Omotosho maintained that Rivers APC would not participate in the gubernatorial, Senate, House of Representatives and House of Assembly elections.

Omotosho said the plaintiffs do not have legal standing given the fact that they hinged their request on the ruling of the state high court, which nullified primaries conducted by the APC.

He, therefore, issued a restraining order, asking INEC not to recognise the candidates of the APC until a higher court of competent jurisdiction sets aside the ruling.

https://guardian.ng/news/supreme-court-upholds-judgement-nullifying-rivers-apc-primaries/amp

3 Likes

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by puzzlegate(m): 3:41pm On Feb 08, 2019
MrAJQ:
Is this how illiterate you're? Don't you understand what the judgment mean? It means APC can now partake in the election
oga do you even know what is happening ? Why not ask somebody who understands to explain. Apc is out of the contest. Simplicita !

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by zeromeridian: 3:44pm On Feb 08, 2019
Tetehjewels:

In a nutshell, APC still have the option of Order of Mandamus
order of Madness? I agree with you on this

4 Likes

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by budaatum: 3:53pm On Feb 08, 2019
fergie001:

The Supreme Court has upheld the annulment of the All Progressives Congress primaries in Rivers State by a Federal High Court in Port Harcourt.

A five-man panel of justices led by Mohammed Dattijo dismissed the objection filed by Tonye Cole’s faction of the APC that it had earlier withdrawn from the appeal against the judgement.

The High Court on January 7, 2019, in its ruling restrained INEC from presenting Tonye Cole, Magnus Abe and other candidates APC presented for the Rivers State gubernatorial election.

On Monday, the Court of Appeal granted stay of execution of the Federal High Court’s judgement but Cole’s faction proceeded to the Supreme Court.

In October 2018, A State High Court nullified the two candidates produced by one faction loyal to the minister of transportation Rotimi Amaechi and the other loyal to serving senator, Magnus Abe, following the controversies that marred the party’s primaries.

The two factions conducted parallel primaries that produced two sets of candidates.

While the faction loyal to Amaechi produced Cole as its the state governorship candidate, the other loyal to Abe, produced him as its own candidate.

The national secretariat of the APC, however, forwarded Cole’s name to INEC.

In a suit filed by Abe, the Federal High court declared that the APC, for failing to respect the law, must bear the consequences of her disobedience to the law.

The judge Kolawole Omotosho maintained that Rivers APC would not participate in the gubernatorial, Senate, House of Representatives and House of Assembly elections.

Omotosho said the plaintiffs do not have legal standing given the fact that they hinged their request on the ruling of the state high court, which nullified primaries conducted by the APC.

He, therefore, issued a restraining order, asking INEC not to recognise the candidates of the APC until a higher court of competent jurisdiction sets aside the ruling.

https://guardian.ng/news/supreme-court-upholds-judgement-nullifying-rivers-apc-primaries/amp
Yeah, I seen it! buda egg face! Very annoyed!

Mods!

Quote, I apologise everyone, please!
Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by Samunique(m): 4:00pm On Feb 08, 2019
Mariory:
Fake news!

Not one account states when the Supreme court met to pass this judgement. Who was the Justice thst delivered the judgement?

Fake news!
Bros na true o, I heard it on 3 O'clock news in PH. But yet to understand the interpretation of the judgment and what it means for both parties.

3 Likes

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 4:04pm On Feb 08, 2019
budaatum:

Yeah, I seen it! buda egg face! Very annoyed!

Mods!

Quote, I apologise everyone, please!

The apc shot itself in the foot.....
One man's ego,Amaechi

3 Likes

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 4:05pm On Feb 08, 2019
puzzlegate:
oga do you even know what is happening ? Why not ask somebody who understands to explain. Apc is out of the contest. Simplicita !
Hahahahahaha........dementia no good for some people.....

Can you see what he is blabbing....You even get time to correct sef

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by unclejb2(m): 4:08pm On Feb 08, 2019
Peaceontome247:
PDP CREATED POVERTY.....

This analysis below is important to common man.... who are majority Voters in this 2019 elections.....

1. They said when Buhari took over from them a bag of rice was N11,500 but they took over when it was N2,500

2. They said when Buhari took over from them ltr of petrol was N87 but they took over when it was N11.

3. They said when Buhari took over from them $1 was N235 but they took over when it was N20.

4. They said when Buhari took over from them a bag of cement was N2,000 but they took over when it was N400.

ANALYSIS BETWEEN APC and PDP GOVERNMENT OF I6YEARS AND 31/2YEARS

ON MAJOR COMMODITIES

Rice
APC-N15,000-N11,500 =N4,500
PDP-N11,500-N2,500 =N9,000

PETROL
APC N145-N87 =N58
PDP N87-N11 =N76

U.S $
APC N360-N235 =N125
PDP N235-N20 =N215

CEMENT
APC-N2,500-N2,000 =N500
PDP-N2,000-N400 =N1,600

Who then created poverty and hunger in the land

Spread it all to everyone out there on the street..

OUR Media Research Team
as stupid as your write sounds, don't ever think that Nigerians are as dunced retarded and unintelligent as Buhari.

Simple mathematics will tell you going by your own assertions, it took APC only 3 years to destroy what they met under PDP.

If it took PDP 16 years to increase fuel by N76 that means a yearly increment of N4.75k.

Meanwhile it took APC just 3 years to increase it by N58, that translates to N19.60k. It simply means that in 16 years, APC would have increased fuel by N309.70k.

So going by your own warped analogy, APC is actually a disaster.

Buhari must go back to his tending to his 150 gay cattles come 16 February 2019.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by budaatum: 4:10pm On Feb 08, 2019
fergie001:

The apc shot itself in the foot.....
One man's ego,Amaechi
Educate me. How has apc shot itself in the foot if they can now field candidates!?

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 4:14pm On Feb 08, 2019
budaatum:

Educate me. How has apc shot itself in the foot if they can now field candidates!?
You still don't get it?

Apc has no candidate for rivers state .....QED

3 Likes

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by Cherrybae(f): 4:21pm On Feb 08, 2019
chozzy:

Taah, Afonja

How can you call me an Afonja
You are very wicked for calling your fellow human being Afonja

Stop calling me Afonja

Or I will summons you in juju

You are very wicked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by Inca(m): 4:24pm On Feb 08, 2019
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/311327-supreme-court-bars-apc-from-fielding-candidates-in-rivers-state.html

The Supreme Court has nullified a ruling of the Court of Appeal which allowed the All Progressives Congress to field candidates in Rivers State in the general elections.

In a decision on Friday, the court said the appellate court failed to invoke relevant sections of the law in voiding the decision of the Federal High Court barring the party from participating in elections in the state.

A faction of the APC in the state had challenged the decision of the high court at the Court of Appeal Court.

The court questioned the basis upon which the appeal court reached its ruling and set the decision aside while upholding the ruling of the high court.

With this judgment, Rivers State APC candidates will not be participating in the National Assembly election on February 16 as well as the governorship and state House of Assembly elections on March 2.

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by budaatum: 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2019
unclejb2:
as stupid as your write sounds, don't ever think that Nigerians are as dunced retarded and unintelligent as Buhari.

Simple mathematics will tell you going by your own assertions, it took APC only 3 years to destroy what they met under PDP.

If it took PDP 16 years to increase fuel by N76 that means a yearly increment of N4.75k.

Meanwhile it took APC just 3 years to increase it by N58, that translates to N19.60k. It simply means that in 16 years, APC would have increased fuel by N309.70k.

So going by your own warped analogy, APC is actually a disaster.

Buhari must go back to his tending to his 150 gay cattles come 16 February 2019.
N309.70 is cheap for today! Less than a dollar in the USA, $0.87 per litre price. That's N315.359 a litre, today!

Nigeria petrol is too cheap! Specially in an importing nation! In 4 years time, 2023, fuel Nigeria will be over N1000 a litre, mark my word!

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by frankmoney(m): 4:26pm On Feb 08, 2019
Am yet to understand this verdict , because , Magnus Abe is currently celebrating as the authentic candidate and people here are saying APC has no candidate , what exactly is the interpretation of the judgement
Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 4:27pm On Feb 08, 2019
Can't wait to see Babajide's face today on JH.....he will be so pissed... grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 4:28pm On Feb 08, 2019
frankmoney:
Am yet to understand this verdict , because , Magnus Abe is currently celebrating as the authentic candidate and people here are saying APC has no candidate , what exactly is the interpretation of the judgement
He is not celebrating as authentic candidate...........

His exco has been recognised........

ABUJA—-The Supreme Court, on Friday, dashed hopes of the All Progressives Congress, APC, to secure an order that would have compelled the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to recognize all its candidates in the forthcoming elections in Rivers State.

The apex court, in a unanimous verdict by a five-man panel of Justices, declined to dislodge the high court’s judgment that ab-initio barred the APC from conducting its Ward, Local Government and State congresses in Rivers State, pending the determination of a suit that was filed by 23 aggrieved chieftains of the party. The litigants, who are members of a faction of the party loyal to Senator Magnus Abe, had on May 11, 2018, secured an interim injunction from a High Court in Port Harcourt, which restrained the APC from going ahead with the indirect primaries that held on May 19, 20 and 21 respectively. The APC, however, proceeded to conduct the primary elections, even as it got an order from the Court of Appeal in Port Harcourt, to stay the execution of the high court order. Among beneficiaries of the primary elections included Prince Tonye Cole, whom the party had since presented as its governorship flag-bearer in Rivers State. The APC had, through its lawyer, Prince Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, begged the Supreme Court to clear legal impediments against its list of candidates that contained Cole’s name, a request the court rejected on Friday. The apex court panel which was led by Justice Mohammed Dattijo, rather re-affirmed its previous ruling that validated the high court’s order that barred APC from going ahead with the Rivers primaries. The panel further invoked section 22 of the Supreme Court Act and dismissed the appeal the Ojukaye Flag-Amachree’s led APC, filed before the Port Harcourt Division of the Court of Appeal, to challenge the high court order. In the lead judgment that was delivered by Justice Side Bage, the apex court said it was satisfied that the matter which the APC filed before the appellate court deserved “a decent burial.” It held that the appellate court ought to have terminated further hearing on the appeal marked CA/PH/198/2018, after it was withdrawn by a lawyer that was duly briefed by the Rivers State Legal Adviser of the APC, Chieme Chinweikpe. “It is my considered opinion that this appeal must be given a decent burial. The appeal, having been withdrawn at the lower court by the respondent, is deemed distilled. This is what the lower court failed or evaded to do. “Therefore, by virtue of section 22 of the Supreme Court Act 2004, the lower court having failed to exercise its powers provided under Order 11 Rule 5, this court is bound to do so. “Thus, I will allow the appeal and set aside the ruling of the lower court dated October 31st 2018. I hereby dismiss Appeal No CA/PH/198/2018”, Justice Bage held. Though the Supreme Court initially fixed March 8 for the judgment, it brought the date forward after APC contended that the matter would be caught up by the 60 days deadline the Electoral Act provided for the determination of pre-election cases. The appeal marked SC/1070/2018, was lodged before the court by twenty-three chieftains of the party, led by one Abdulahi Umar. The litigants had, among other things, urged the apex court to determine whether it was right for the Court of Appeal to proceed with hearing APC’s appeal against the high court order, despite the notice of withdrawal dated September 13, 2018. They further challenged the interlocutory decision of the appellate court in a ruling that was delivered on October 31, 2018, by a panel of Justices led by Justice Cordelia Ifeoma Jumbo-Ofo, which okayed stay of execution of the order of the high court that stopped the APC primaries. Umar and his group argued that it was wrong for the appellate court to rely on its previous decision that was set aside by the Supreme Court on October 22, 2018, in another appeal marked SC/764/2018, which the APC lodged against them. While adopting their brief of argument, the appellants, through their lawyer, Mr. Henry Bello, urged the Supreme Court to uphold its earlier judgement and nullify outcomes of the indirect primary elections that produced Cole and other candidates in the faction of the party loyal to the Minister of Transportation, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi. The appellants equally urged the apex court to dismiss the appeal in Port Harcourt, having been withdrawn by the appropriate organ of the APC in Rivers State. Meanwhile, shortly after the matter was adjourned for Judgment, the appellants re-approached the apex court, asking to withdraw the appeal. They applied for the appeal to be struck out since it would have been overtaking by events by March when the 60 days period provided by the Electoral Act would have elapsed. Bello told the apex court panel that the lower court had delivered a consent judgment in the matter, following the withdrawal of the appeal. However, APC, through its team of lawyers led by Prince Fagbemi, SAN, prayed the Supreme Court to dismiss the case and uphold the list of candidates that were okayed by leadership of the party. Fagbemi, SAN, maintained that whereas the Court of Appeal struck out one of the appeals that involved the consent judgement of the high court, he said the instant appeal at the Supreme Court was different. Fagbemi further argued that the appeal was not a pre-election matter since what was being challenged was the election of officers to the Wards, Local Government and State Congresses of the APC. His contention was however discarded by the Supreme Court, which said it was satisfied that the proceedings at the appellate court ought to have been terminated immediately the case was withdrawn. It will be recalled that the apex court had on October 22, nullified an interim order of the Court of Appeal in Port Harcourt, which gave APC the nod to conduct its Ward, Local Government and State Congresses in Rivers State. In a ruling that was delivered by Justice Centus Nweze, the Supreme Court, faulted the appellate court for halting the execution of a Rivers State High Court order that barred APC from going ahead with its planned congress, pending the determination of a suit that was entered by Umar and the 22 others. It noted that the high court had on the basis of the said suit, issued injunctive reliefs that expressesly forbade the APC from conducting congress in the state. According to the Supreme Court, Justice Chiwendu Nwogu of the high court gave the interim order of injunction on May 11, the same day that some hoodlums loyal to a faction of the party, besieged the high court premises in Port Harcourt. It observed that despite the attack and the restraining order from the high court, which was further reaffirmed on May 13, the APC which was a Respondent in the matter, went ahead and conducted its Ward, Local Government and State congresses on May 19, 20 and 21. The Rivers State High Court had in a ruling on May 30, nullified the Ward, Local Government and State congresses of the APC held on May 19, 20 and 21 respectively. Justice Nwogu maintained that the process that led to the emergence of Ojukaye Flag-Amachree as Rivers Chairman of APC, was fraudulent. He ordered the party to return to the status quo of May 11, pending the determination of the substantive suit. Subsequently, the court, on October 10, voided the nomination of Mr Cole as the gubernatorial flag-bearer of the APC in the state. Justice Nwogu declared that Ward congresses of APC in Rivers State were illegal, sayin they were not conducted in line with the Party’s guidelines and constitution. INEC had since declined to include candidates of the APC in its list of candidates that will participate in the 2019 elections in Rivers State.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/02/update-s-court-dashes-apcs-hopes-declines-to-recognise-cole-others/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by budaatum: 4:32pm On Feb 08, 2019
fergie001:

You still don't get it?

Apc has no candidate for rivers state .....QED
That's what I thought at the beginning, that the Supreme Court told the Court of Appeal sitting in Port Harcourt which granted stay of execution of the Federal High Court’s judgement, to fuq off! No apc candidate!

Help me, please!

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by frankmoney(m): 4:34pm On Feb 08, 2019
fergie001:

He is not celebrating as authentic candidate...........

His exco has been recognised........

ABUJA—-The Supreme Court, on Friday, dashed hopes of the All Progressives Congress, APC, to secure an order that would have compelled the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to recognize all its candidates in the forthcoming elections in Rivers State.

The apex court, in a unanimous verdict by a five-man panel of Justices, declined to dislodge the high court’s judgment that ab-initio barred the APC from conducting its Ward, Local Government and State congresses in Rivers State, pending the determination of a suit that was filed by 23 aggrieved chieftains of the party. The litigants, who are members of a faction of the party loyal to Senator Magnus Abe, had on May 11, 2018, secured an interim injunction from a High Court in Port Harcourt, which restrained the APC from going ahead with the indirect primaries that held on May 19, 20 and 21 respectively. The APC, however, proceeded to conduct the primary elections, even as it got an order from the Court of Appeal in Port Harcourt, to stay the execution of the high court order. Among beneficiaries of the primary elections included Prince Tonye Cole, whom the party had since presented as its governorship flag-bearer in Rivers State. The APC had, through its lawyer, Prince Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, begged the Supreme Court to clear legal impediments against its list of candidates that contained Cole’s name, a request the court rejected on Friday. The apex court panel which was led by Justice Mohammed Dattijo, rather re-affirmed its previous ruling that validated the high court’s order that barred APC from going ahead with the Rivers primaries. The panel further invoked section 22 of the Supreme Court Act and dismissed the appeal the Ojukaye Flag-Amachree’s led APC, filed before the Port Harcourt Division of the Court of Appeal, to challenge the high court order. In the lead judgment that was delivered by Justice Side Bage, the apex court said it was satisfied that the matter which the APC filed before the appellate court deserved “a decent burial.” It held that the appellate court ought to have terminated further hearing on the appeal marked CA/PH/198/2018, after it was withdrawn by a lawyer that was duly briefed by the Rivers State Legal Adviser of the APC, Chieme Chinweikpe. “It is my considered opinion that this appeal must be given a decent burial. The appeal, having been withdrawn at the lower court by the respondent, is deemed distilled. This is what the lower court failed or evaded to do. “Therefore, by virtue of section 22 of the Supreme Court Act 2004, the lower court having failed to exercise its powers provided under Order 11 Rule 5, this court is bound to do so. “Thus, I will allow the appeal and set aside the ruling of the lower court dated October 31st 2018. I hereby dismiss Appeal No CA/PH/198/2018”, Justice Bage held. Though the Supreme Court initially fixed March 8 for the judgment, it brought the date forward after APC contended that the matter would be caught up by the 60 days deadline the Electoral Act provided for the determination of pre-election cases. The appeal marked SC/1070/2018, was lodged before the court by twenty-three chieftains of the party, led by one Abdulahi Umar. The litigants had, among other things, urged the apex court to determine whether it was right for the Court of Appeal to proceed with hearing APC’s appeal against the high court order, despite the notice of withdrawal dated September 13, 2018. They further challenged the interlocutory decision of the appellate court in a ruling that was delivered on October 31, 2018, by a panel of Justices led by Justice Cordelia Ifeoma Jumbo-Ofo, which okayed stay of execution of the order of the high court that stopped the APC primaries. Umar and his group argued that it was wrong for the appellate court to rely on its previous decision that was set aside by the Supreme Court on October 22, 2018, in another appeal marked SC/764/2018, which the APC lodged against them. While adopting their brief of argument, the appellants, through their lawyer, Mr. Henry Bello, urged the Supreme Court to uphold its earlier judgement and nullify outcomes of the indirect primary elections that produced Cole and other candidates in the faction of the party loyal to the Minister of Transportation, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi. The appellants equally urged the apex court to dismiss the appeal in Port Harcourt, having been withdrawn by the appropriate organ of the APC in Rivers State. Meanwhile, shortly after the matter was adjourned for Judgment, the appellants re-approached the apex court, asking to withdraw the appeal. They applied for the appeal to be struck out since it would have been overtaking by events by March when the 60 days period provided by the Electoral Act would have elapsed. Bello told the apex court panel that the lower court had delivered a consent judgment in the matter, following the withdrawal of the appeal. However, APC, through its team of lawyers led by Prince Fagbemi, SAN, prayed the Supreme Court to dismiss the case and uphold the list of candidates that were okayed by leadership of the party. Fagbemi, SAN, maintained that whereas the Court of Appeal struck out one of the appeals that involved the consent judgement of the high court, he said the instant appeal at the Supreme Court was different. Fagbemi further argued that the appeal was not a pre-election matter since what was being challenged was the election of officers to the Wards, Local Government and State Congresses of the APC. His contention was however discarded by the Supreme Court, which said it was satisfied that the proceedings at the appellate court ought to have been terminated immediately the case was withdrawn. It will be recalled that the apex court had on October 22, nullified an interim order of the Court of Appeal in Port Harcourt, which gave APC the nod to conduct its Ward, Local Government and State Congresses in Rivers State. In a ruling that was delivered by Justice Centus Nweze, the Supreme Court, faulted the appellate court for halting the execution of a Rivers State High Court order that barred APC from going ahead with its planned congress, pending the determination of a suit that was entered by Umar and the 22 others. It noted that the high court had on the basis of the said suit, issued injunctive reliefs that expressesly forbade the APC from conducting congress in the state. According to the Supreme Court, Justice Chiwendu Nwogu of the high court gave the interim order of injunction on May 11, the same day that some hoodlums loyal to a faction of the party, besieged the high court premises in Port Harcourt. It observed that despite the attack and the restraining order from the high court, which was further reaffirmed on May 13, the APC which was a Respondent in the matter, went ahead and conducted its Ward, Local Government and State congresses on May 19, 20 and 21. The Rivers State High Court had in a ruling on May 30, nullified the Ward, Local Government and State congresses of the APC held on May 19, 20 and 21 respectively. Justice Nwogu maintained that the process that led to the emergence of Ojukaye Flag-Amachree as Rivers Chairman of APC, was fraudulent. He ordered the party to return to the status quo of May 11, pending the determination of the substantive suit. Subsequently, the court, on October 10, voided the nomination of Mr Cole as the gubernatorial flag-bearer of the APC in the state. Justice Nwogu declared that Ward congresses of APC in Rivers State were illegal, sayin they were not conducted in line with the Party’s guidelines and constitution. INEC had since declined to include candidates of the APC in its list of candidates that will participate in the 2019 elections in Rivers State.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/02/update-s-court-dashes-apcs-hopes-declines-to-recognise-cole-others/
well actually he is celebrating as the candidate , as well as his supporters , you can check his page out on Facebook

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 4:35pm On Feb 08, 2019
budaatum:

That's what I thought at the beginning, that the Supreme Court told the Court of Appeal sitting in Port Harcourt which granted stay of execution of the Federal High Court’s judgement, to fuq off! No apc candidate!

Help me, please!
They have no candidate..... But a recognizable exco which is the Abe faction...but no candidate across all elections.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 4:38pm On Feb 08, 2019
frankmoney:
well actually he is celebrating as the candidate , as well as his supporters , you can check his page out on Facebook

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by frankmoney(m): 4:43pm On Feb 08, 2019
[quote author=fergie001 post=75539223][/quote] yes from what I have been able to deduce from Abe's page . The apc is actually still in the race kind of , if the appeal court can validate the direct primaries he carried out , the supreme Court only dashed the hope of Tonye Cole faction indirect primaries.
Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by fergie001: 4:44pm On Feb 08, 2019
frankmoney:
yes from what I have been able to deduce from Abe's page . The apc is actually still in the race kind of , if the appeal court can validate the direct primaries he carried out , the supreme Court only dashed the hope of Tonye Cole faction indirect primaries.
We will wait for the interpreters..........
Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by frankmoney(m): 4:48pm On Feb 08, 2019
fergie001:

We will wait for the interpreters..........
yes because it's actually complicated , as they are now waiting for an appeal court that will sit on Wednesday to validate the candidacy of Abe as governorship candidate in Rivers

1 Like

Re: Rivers governorship: Supreme Court upholds judgement nullifying APC primaries by PaChukwudi44(m): 4:48pm On Feb 08, 2019
Seun,Lalasticlala why on earth is this thread not yet on for? I might understand the biased APC pro mod but not you too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ambode Commissions Jubilee Chalet In Epe (Photos) / Buhari Bows To Pressure, Reverses Ban On 113 Oil Vessels / Prophecy Was Made That I Will Be Vice President – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.