Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,276 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! (3524 Views)

Power Distribution Firms Reject Supply From Generating Plants / Power Distribution Firms Reject Supply From Generating Plants / Enugu State Government Approves Over N2b For Water And Road Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by wales(m): 7:03am On Aug 24, 2010
What appears to be a final solution to the epileptic power supply in the country was unfolded yesterday as government approved the steps for the sale of 11 power firms.

The firms are to emerge out of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN). This is coming as the government expressed deep concern over the high aggregate technical, commercial, and collection losses suffered in the course of electricity generation and distribution in the country.

At present, a large volume of electricity generated by the PHCN hardly gets to the final consumer due to technical reasons, including defective transmission and distribution lines, while billions of naira is lost every day due to the inability of the power company to collect accumulated revenues from debtor consumers, including government institutions.

But as part of the strategy approved last week for the core investors in the 11 power distribution firms created out of the PHCN, the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) underlined the need for prospective bidders to demonstrate capacity to curb these losses.

How to move the sector forward

The selection of bidders, the privatization agency said, must not only be on the basis of “efficiency improvement - reduction of Aggregate Technical, Commercial and Collection (ATCC) losses that they would achieve over a five-year period, but also that the preferred bidder “yields the highest net present value in terms of consequential benefits.”

The privatisation council, chaired by vice president, Mohammed Sambo, noted that the current ATCC losses, estimated at between 40 and 50 percent of the electricity distributed through the various power distribution companies, is unsustainable and must be halted if the country’s electricity industry is to be attractive for full private sector participation.

Under the proposed strategy, private sector operators are free to acquire controlling equity interest in any of the distribution companies with a view to rapidly improving its operational efficiency, while bidders would be allowed to bid on the basis of a trajectory of technical, commercial, and collection loss improvements capacity, unlike the traditional transaction approach where bidders merely bid on price for the equity shares.

The proposed method would be built around the Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO) issued by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), which establishes the commercial and economic indices and the financial model for the entire electricity industry.

As part of the 2001 Electricity Power Sector Reform (EPSR) initiated by the government, the PHCN Plc was in November 2005 broken into 18 new successor incorporated companies, consisting of six power generation companies (GENCOS), one transmission company (TRANSCO), and 11 distribution companies (DISCOS).

States can generate power

Apart from approving a minority equity interest for state governments interested in participating in the privatisation of the distribution companies, the privatisation council also approved the privatisation strategy for some of the generation companies and their assets.

They include the sale of PHCN non-operational assets located at Ijora, Calabar, and Oji River plants, with the divestiture method approved for the sale of Sapele Power Plc, Afam Power Plc, and Ughelli Power Plc, while Kainji Hydro Power Plc and Shiroro Hydro Power Plc are to be privatised through the concessioning process.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5610274-146/government_approves_sale_of_11_power.csp

Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by OAM4J: 10:57am On Aug 24, 2010
Good one! Hope the government can follow it through and these companies will be sold to/handled by the best hands, and not giving to 'friends of the government' as used to be the practice.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by yemmight(m): 12:16pm On Aug 24, 2010
Good idea but you will be shocked the calibre of people that will buy the company.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by coschuks(m): 12:59pm On Aug 24, 2010
just hope it will come to pass
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Akanbiedu(m): 1:01pm On Aug 24, 2010
yemmight:

Good idea but you will be shocked the calibre of people that will buy the company.

Yes. Only those who've got money will be able to buy. Worry more about getting constant power supply. Abegi.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by netotse(m): 1:25pm On Aug 24, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Yes. Only those who've got money will be able to buy. Worry more about getting constant power supply. Abegi.

make that who've got money to waste. . .at the present tariff levels, it'll most likely be people who have money and are not really interested in quick returns because unless tariffs are increased before the sale, i doubt they'll be able to push through a tariff rise after buying the company and the only people i think that can pull that off are people that have stolen money. . .correct me if i'm wrong!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by SkyBlue1: 1:39pm On Aug 24, 2010
netotse:

make that who've got money to waste. . .at the present tariff levels, it'll most likely be people who have money and are not really interested in quick returns because unless tariffs are increased before the sale, i doubt they'll be able to push through a tariff rise after buying the company and the only people i think that can pull that off are people that have stolen money. . .correct me if i'm wrong!

Wetin consain you consain whether it is people with 'stolen money'? That is the beauty of private enterprise. If they don't improve their business and please their customers they will lose their customer base to competition that would be willing to provide a better service, simple.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by netotse(m): 1:52pm On Aug 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

Wetin consain you consain whether it is people with 'stolen money'? That is the beauty of private enterprise. If they don't improve their business and please their customers they will lose their customer base to competition that would be willing to provide a better service, simple.
lose customers to who? guy, chill out now, this is electricity we're talking about o, not your run-of-the-mill service. . .they won't be losing jack to anybody. where the money comes from is an indicator of how the company might be run now. . .
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by kokooro(m): 1:54pm On Aug 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

GBAM!!!!!

netotse:

lose customers to who? guy, chill out now, this is electricity we're talking about o, not your run-of-the-mill service. . .they won't be losing jack to anybody. where the money comes from is an indicator of how the company might be run now. . .

Generator will replace them instantly cool cool
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Redman44(m): 2:00pm On Aug 24, 2010
The 11 Powewr Distribution firms will be bought by a coterie of our treasury looters directly or indirectly and a few foreign investors. I don't really care about the buyers of the firms. What I want is a situation where power outages will be a thing of the past in Nigeria.  Just as Telecoms opreators like Globacom, MTN, Zain and lately Etisalat have made it possible for Nigerians to speak to themselves without standing in a business centre for hours, the power distribution firms will also make it possible for Nigerians to have a choice when it comes to their electricity provider. This smove by the FG should have been made about 20 years ago cry cry cry  Nigerians have been made to suffer for too long. Hmn.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by SkyBlue1: 2:06pm On Aug 24, 2010
netotse:

Eleven power distribution firms are being sold (not one). Again I repeat, it is not you or government that would be losing money or investment so wetin consain you? If they don't run the business efficiently they lose customers and more importantly to them, their financial investment goes down the drain. Na your money?
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 24, 2010
Mortgage the future, squander the resources through corruption and poor management then sell infrastructure. It can work if we do the right thing. Keep selling it away. Don't give capitalism a safe haven in Nigeria break it's wings and have it work around monitored else it will bring destruction!!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Akanbiedu(m): 2:21pm On Aug 24, 2010
9jaganja:

Mortgage the future, squander the resources through corruption and poor management then sell infrastructure. It can work if we do the right thing. Keep selling it away. Don't give capitalism a safe haven in Nigeria break it's wings and have it work around monitored else it will bring destruction!!

Capitalism is better for Nigeria at this time.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by netotse(m): 2:26pm On Aug 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

Eleven power distribution firms are being sold (not one). Again I repeat, it is not you or government that would be losing money or investment so wetin consain you? If they don't run the business efficiently they lose customers and more importantly to them, their financial investment goes down the drain. Na your money?
you fail to see my point, lose customers to who? the distribution companies are arranged regionally, so distribution companyA cant supply discoB's customers(see picture attached below), if you go back to generator, what's the point then?you'll merely be increasing your costs. The big companies might be able to afford that, but it'll most definitely put strain on a lot of nigerians.

you cant deal with power the way you'd deal with any other service because among others, power is a monopoly.

i think the issue here is that you dont know enough about the power sector to understand how things could possibly go wrong. if they lose their investment, then the economy will suffer worse that it's suffering now!

Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by SkyBlue1: 2:36pm On Aug 24, 2010
netotse:

you fail to see my point, lose customers to who? the distribution companies are arranged regionally, so distribution companyA cant supply discoB's customers(see picture attached below), if you go back to generator, what's the point then?you'll merely be increasing your costs. The big companies might be able to afford that, but it'll most definitely put strain on a lot of nigerians.

you cant deal with power the way you'd deal with any other service because among others, power is a monopoly.

i think the issue here is that you dont know enough about the power sector to understand how things could possibly go wrong. if they lose their investment, then the economy will suffer worse that it's suffering now!

And who wants to throw money down the drain? I don't think you fully appreciate how reliant Nigeria is on generators. When NEPA went on strike who actually missed their services? MTN sinks huge money into running generators and also budget for that. Do you really understand how measly 4000MW for a country of over hundred million is? Such capacity is not enough to run industries (that have learnt not to rely on NEPA) and I can name cities in the world that generate more power than PHCN does for the whole country. The infrastructure is aged and needs upgrading. The grid is being upgraded. We have more to gain and investors have much more to lose if they fail. Selling of 11 distribution firms is just a start and you fail to realise that we do have a (by force by force) national grid, which means you don't need to live in the same state to get power from distribution companies there.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Capitalism is better for Nigeria at this time.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Capitalism is what you've had since the 80s how is that working? few rich most poor!!!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by netotse(m): 2:51pm On Aug 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

And who wants to throw money down the drain? I don't think you fully appreciate how reliant Nigeria is on generators. When NEPA went on strike who actually missed their services? [/b]MTN sinks huge money into running generators and also budget for that. Do you really understand how measly 4000MW for a country of over hundred million is? Such capacity is not enough to run industries (that have learnt not to rely on NEPA) and I can name cities in the world that generate more power than PHCN does for the whole country. The infrastructure is aged and needs upgrading. The grid is being upgraded. We have more to gain and [b]investors have much more to lose if they fail. Selling of 11 distribution firms is just a start and you fail to realise that we do have a (by force by force) national grid, which means you don't need to live in the same state to get power from distribution companies there.
@skyblue
*sigh* trust me, i understand the nigerian power system very well, when you hear the term 'national grid' what the technical people primarily refer to is the transmission grid not the distribution grid, the distribution  zones are not interconnected the way you thing they are. I pasted that picture so you could see it was by regions not states, pray tell, when a region doesn't have enough power for it's own consumers why would it want to supply another region?

we're not talking about other cities in the world, we're talking about nigeria, those cities dont have the same issues that we have here.

i must say, you're starting to stray into operations and it's only fair to warn you that if you're planning to argue that with me, it wont be a fair fight in the least!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by SkyBlue1: 3:22pm On Aug 24, 2010
netotse:

@skyblue
*sigh* trust me, i understand the nigerian power system very well, when you hear the term 'national grid' what the technical people primarily refer to is the transmission grid not the distribution grid, the distribution  zones are not interconnected the way you thing they are. I pasted that picture so you could see it was by regions not states, pray tell, when a region doesn't have enough power for it's own consumers why would it want to supply another region?

we're not talking about other cities in the world, we're talking about nigeria, those cities dont have the same issues that we have here.

i must say, you're starting to stray into operations and it's only fair to warn you that if you're planning to argue that with me, it wont be a fair fight in the least!

There is no need to even stray into operations as such would only prove an unecessary distraction. The point is we have more to gain and private investors have more to lose from this arrangement. I have not actually seen you attempt to dispute that. Whose money in capital investment is going to be lost if the distribution companies run inefficiently? People who are so worried about rich corrupt politicians buying up our infrastructure can sue them to court when we have the a judicial system that actually works. Till that day comes the people need light and whoever has the money to buy and run operations for a profit is free to do so. As long as government is there to regulate the market and the sector is liberated and open to other players somewhere down the line then so be it. Heck if government selling roads would mean we have good roads then so be it, I think Nigerians have had enough of government inefficiency.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by HamidO1(m): 3:30pm On Aug 24, 2010
O Allah, Help my fatherland Nigeria come out from this problem of power. Ameen. it's a sincere prayer, don't 4get it's d holy month
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Akanbiedu(m): 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2010
9jaganja:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Capitalism is what you've had since the 80s how is that working? few rich most poor!!!

What we ve had was not capitalism. State-run power, state-run refineries, state-run water supply, state-run telecoms until 2000, etc is that what you call capitalism?
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by netotse(m): 3:47pm On Aug 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

There is no need to even stray into operations as such would only prove an unecessary distraction. The point is we have more to gain and private investors have more to lose from this arrangement. I have not actually seen you attempt to dispute that. Whose money in capital investment is going to be lost if the distribution companies run inefficiently? People who are so worried about rich corrupt politicians buying up our infrastructure can sue them to court when we have the a judicial system that actually works. Till that day comes the people need light and whoever has the money to buy and run operations for a profit is free to do so. As long as government is there to regulate the market and the sector is liberated and open to other players somewhere down the line then so be it. Heck if government selling roads would mean we have good roads then so be it, I think Nigerians have had enough of government inefficiency.
yep the investors'll have more to lose, i never disagreed with that, my point was that we'd suffer as well. . . if where the money comes from doesn't matter, then why are the states being allowed only a minority holding in the distribution companies?

i'm all for the privatization, but the tariff needs to be sorted out first, and if government doesn't sort that out, then selling the distribution companies wont make much of a difference!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by SkyBlue1: 4:16pm On Aug 24, 2010
netotse:

yep the investors'll have more to lose, i never disagreed with that, my point was that we'd suffer as well. . . if where the money comes from doesn't matter, then why are the states being allowed only a minority holding in the distribution companies?

i'm all for the privatization, but the tariff needs to be sorted out first, and if government doesn't sort that out, then selling the distribution companies wont make much of a difference!

Of course the tariff needs to be sorted out and price of power would inevitably rise, I don't think anyone on this thread ever argued with you on that so what was the point? The issue of tariff has already been discussed on other threads and it is a discussion that seems ongoing in government. However considering it is a private enterprise, why not let those with the money decide for themselves whether or not they want to invest, considering you are not privvy to all the details (since I seriously doubt anyone would invest at the current tariff)? We don't have to lunge at every piece of news we get just for the sake of it.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 24, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

What we ve had was not capitalism. State-run power, state-run refineries, state-run water supply, state-run telecoms until 2000, etc is that what you call capitalism?

hahahahahah. State run water system? When everyone had boreholes and wells? State ran refineries? Which private investor was able to invest? Which was capable back then? I guess Dangote's company was state ran too right? All those private companies that produced bread and ton of common commodities were state ran too right?

Capitalism is evil!! I'm for real economy dude!! Capitalism that made American companies sell weapons to hitler and supply amunitions to the same terrorist America is going after. Yeah the capitalism that means you can do business with your nation's enemy  because regulations are taboos.

Company profits were suppose to benefit every member of the company not pay people petty prices and go home with a massive while your employees are finding it hard to sustain themselves. That is capitalism. I'm all for private investors but take capitalist mentality out of it first. Nigeria is extremely capitalist that is why people work in bad conditions and get paid pennies while their ogre is having the best times of his life. If they get hurt at work, no benefits most don't even get treatments cause it's every man for himself right? Nigeria is capitalist on the extreme end of the stick. That is the truth. I can go to Nigeria, make billions and go home with my money without improving the lives of the people that made my billion dollars dream come true.

The number nation on this planet isn't capitalist!! Bush pushed the capitalist agenda during his tenure that landed him in the black book of America. Shell is enjoying Nigeria's capitalism. That is why their spills don't need clean ups. America gave some companies bail out money and what happened? Some execs gave themselves huge bonuses out of the public money cause regulations doesn't apply!!  We work together and enjoy and suffer the benefits and pains together not we work for you while you enjoy the benefits alone!! That is a bad idea.!!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by donugapi(m): 5:02pm On Aug 24, 2010
netotse:

@skyblue

Gbam!!!!
I'm not being pessimistic but we still have like 10 years to be able to actualise that, But its good they've started by selling, maybe the private guys would interconnect and do all the rest, Cos right now, Its shii
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Beaf: 5:12pm On Aug 24, 2010
9jaganja:

hahahahahah. State run water system? When everyone had boreholes and wells? State ran refineries? Which private investor was able to invest? Which was capable back then? I guess Dangote's company was state ran too right? All those private companies that produced bread and ton of common commodities were state ran too right?

Capitalism is evil!! I'm for real economy dude!! Capitalism that made American companies sell weapons to hitler and supply amunitions to the same terrorist America is going after. Yeah the capitalism that means you can do business with your nation's enemy because regulations are taboos.

Company profits were suppose to benefit every member of the company not pay people petty prices and go home with a massive while your employees are finding it hard to sustain themselves. That is capitalism. I'm all for private investors but take capitalist mentality out of it first. Nigeria is extremely capitalist that is why people work in bad conditions and get paid pennies while their ogre is having the best times of his life. If they get hurt at work, no benefits most don't even get treatments cause it's every man for himself right? Nigeria is capitalist on the extreme end of the stick. That is the truth. I can go to Nigeria, make billions and go home with my money without improving the lives of the people that made my billion dollars dream come true.

The number nation on this planet isn't capitalist!! Bush pushed the capitalist agenda during his tenure that landed him in the black book of America. Shell is enjoying Nigeria's capitalism. That is why their spills don't need clean ups. America gave some companies bail out money and what happened? Some execs gave themselves huge bonuses out of the public money cause regulations doesn't apply!! We work together and enjoy and suffer the benefits and pains together not we work for you while you enjoy the benefits alone!! That is a bad idea.!!

Learn about your country before spewing hogwash. If you don't know everything in Nigeria is state run from Abuja, then you aren't fit to comment in the politics section.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by SkyBlue1: 5:16pm On Aug 24, 2010
Beaf:

Learn about your country before spewing hogwash. If you don't know everything in Nigeria is state run from Abuja, then you aren't fit to comment in the politics section.

The amusing thing is that I keep saying we run a federal system in theory but are very much a communist state (except without the sharing of wealth with the people and all the good parts of communism). We are practising federalism and running a very corrupted and novel communism. Nigeria we hail thee  cheesy
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by deb(m): 5:46pm On Aug 24, 2010
as long as we don't start paying unnecessary high tarrifs I am fine
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Beaf: 6:04pm On Aug 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

The amusing thing is that I keep saying we run a federal system in theory but are very much a communist state (except without the sharing of wealth with the people and all the good parts of communism). We are practising federalism and running a very corrupted and novel communism. Nigeria we hail thee  cheesy

We are communo-capitalo-federalists! lol
God alone can give a name to whatever it is Nigeria is practising.

In every other federal system on Earth the local govt equivalent is the driver of revenue generation. In Nigeria, they are little better than scroungers, hanging around for money from the state, provided direct from Abuja.
The govts devesting off first telecoms, and now power supply is a very welcome direction for the country. It will gradually lead to the "privatisation" of states and local govts, so they too can generate wealth, quality of life and Abuja can free itself from micro-managing to handling strictly national issues such as the military and policy direction.
In developed countries, power supply is totally out of the presidents hands; in several cases power is even generated at local govt level. nigeria's case is ridiculous, but thankfully we are slowly waking up.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 24, 2010
Beaf:

Not everything is state ran. You should go learn about your country!!! Is the government running globacom and MTN? The banks? How many private banks did we have back then? even with military rule? How can you say everything is state ran in Nigeria? You are clueless !!!
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by MShittu: 7:50pm On Aug 24, 2010
FINALLY, I've been waiting for this for 15 years, and I'm only 14,
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by erico2k2(m): 10:32pm On Aug 24, 2010
Right move FG
Wel everybody remember waht happened in our telicomunication sector.
Re: Government Approves Sale Of 11 Power Distribution Firms ! by netotse(m): 10:40pm On Aug 24, 2010
erico2k2:

Right move FG
Wel everybody remember waht happened in our telicomunication sector.
go on, shoot yourself in the foot. . .tell us what happened in the telecoms sector. . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Acn Has Scared Pdp Out Of Lagos –fashola ! / Still Thinking About This Thing Going On In Vegas, The Sin City. See Man & Woman / See Photo Of An IPOB Terrorist With Her Weapon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.