Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,918 members, 7,835,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Ignore Fake News, Osinbajo Will Never Resign – Group - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ignore Fake News, Osinbajo Will Never Resign – Group (15989 Views)

Atiku, Okowa, Tambuwal 'Leaked Audio': Ignore Fake Audio In Circulation - PDP / Breaking News.....osinbajo Step Down To Remain Asiwaju Vs Amaechi / Ignore Fake Results On Anambra Primary Election - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ignore Fake News, Osinbajo Will Never Resign – Group by wirinet(m): 3:04am On Feb 22, 2019
lastempero:

I think it started after the war but the current generation cannot point to anything as the cause but now the Hausa's have instigated the division and their elites are enjoying it right now.

There was no enmity between Yorubas and igbos after the war. Many igbos came back to Lagos after the war and reclaimed their properties. Awolowo and Zik made up and became friends, they almost formed a political alliance 1978 to contest against the northern dominated NPN for the 1979 elections. Obasanjo and Ojukwu made up and became good friends until Ojukwu's death.

The hatred between Igbo and Yoruba actually started in this political dispensation and became exasperated first by Jonathan's defeat and kanu's rhetorics. The relationship is now so toxic that I doubt it can be repaired in the near future. Both sides have dug in. It is the Hausa/ Fulanis that are the main beneficiary of the hatred between igbos and Yorubas.
Re: Ignore Fake News, Osinbajo Will Never Resign – Group by lastempero: 10:16am On Feb 22, 2019
wirinet:

There was no enmity between Yorubas and igbos after the war. Many igbos came back to Lagos after the war and reclaimed their properties. Awolowo and Zik made up and became friends, they almost formed a political alliance 1978 to contest against the northern dominated NPN for the 1979 elections. Obasanjo and Ojukwu made up and became good friends until Ojukwu's death.

The hatred between Igbo and Yoruba actually started in this political dispensation and became exasperated first by Jonathan's defeat and kanu's rhetorics. The relationship is now so toxic that I doubt it can be repaired in the near future. Both sides have dug in. It is the Hausa/ Fulanis that are the main beneficiary of the hatred between igbos and Yorubas.

Iam Igbo and luckily for me I grew up in the east, the notion I feel around me back then as an Igbo man was that a Yoruba man cannot be trusted due to what happened between ojukwu and awolowo and this thought was passed down to us by our fathers who fought the biafran war and i dont blame them for that but fortunately for me I only judge a man by his principles as a matter of fact my clearing agent is a Yoruba moslem. coming to Igbos, I don't support KANU right from the first day I heard him speak let me state clearly that Igbos is not up to 20% of the igbo population so they don't represent the Igbo race. The igbos and yorubas holds the future of this country but they need to come together.
Re: Ignore Fake News, Osinbajo Will Never Resign – Group by wirinet(m): 7:55pm On Feb 22, 2019
lastempero:

Iam Igbo and luckily for me I grew up in the east, the notion I feel around me back then as an Igbo man was that a Yoruba man cannot be trusted due to what happened between ojukwu and awolowo and this thought was passed down to us by our fathers who fought the biafran war and i dont blame them for that but fortunately for me I only judge a man by his principles as a matter of fact my clearing agent is a Yoruba moslem. coming to Igbos, I don't support KANU right from the first day I heard him speak let me state clearly that Igbos is not up to 20% of the igbo population so they don't represent the Igbo race. The igbos and yorubas holds the future of this country but they need to come together.

I don't really understand what happened between Awolowo and Ojukwu, and also how what happened between 2 individuals can affect a whole tribe.
The popular rumour is that Awolowo promised Ojukwu to secede once Ojukwu declares secession and that after Ojukwu declared secession Awolowo reneged and joined the northern led FG. This narrative makes no sense at all.

First of all Awolowo was not in any position to declare secession, he was not a military man, he was not even the premiere of the westen region (assuming a premiere can declare secession). Awolowo commanded no troops. The Nigerian troops were under the control of Gowon, while the eastern troops was under the control of Ojukwu. Where would Awo fit in. The most senior Yoruba officers then were Ademoyega, Obasanjo, Banjo, ogundipe, are you insinuating that these senior soldiers would take orders from Awo?
Even if Awolowo was the premiere of the western region, he would still have no powers to unilaterally declare secession.

1 Like

Re: Ignore Fake News, Osinbajo Will Never Resign – Group by lastempero: 8:46pm On Feb 22, 2019
wirinet:

I don't really understand what happened between Awolowo and Ojukwu, and also how what happened between 2 individuals can affect a whole tribe.
The popular rumour is that Awolowo promised Ojukwu to secede once Ojukwu declares secession and that after Ojukwu declared secession Awolowo reneged and joined the northern led FG. This narrative makes no sense at all.

First of all Awolowo was not in any position to declare secession, he was not a military man, he was not even the premiere of the westen region (assuming a premiere can declare secession). Awolowo commanded no troops. The Nigerian troops were under the control of Gowon, while the eastern troops was under the control of Ojukwu. Where would Awo fit in. The most senior Yoruba officers then were Ademoyega, Obasanjo, Banjo, ogundipe, are you insinuating that these senior soldiers would take orders from Awo?
Even if Awolowo was the premiere of the western region, he would still have no powers to unilaterally declare secession.

Well that was the assumption but whatever happened should be in the past.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osun 2022: Ademola Adeleke Meet Seyi Makinde Over Governorship Bid / Atiku: 2023 Presidential Election Is The Worst Ever Conducted By INEC Since 1999 / IGP Orders Officers To Tender Retirement Letters After Exceeding Statutory Age,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.