Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,359 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors (16272 Views)

Is Polygamy A Sentence To Condemnation?? / A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! / Consequences Of Polygamy. A Case Of Enwerem's Family! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Bibletruth: 12:20pm On Jul 24, 2011
I don't why everyone who demonizes polygeny uses Genesis 2:24 that only tells us what marriage is and is not a doctrinal statement of marriage structure.  If we are to accept this passage which Jesus quoted, then we have to accept other passages of the law such as Exodus 21:10; Deuteronomy chapt.21-25; Leviticus 20 (abominable acts clearly defined). Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law, not to change it.  I think Jesus knew the law perfectly because he is the law giver.  The fact is that the New Testament is a fulfillment of the Old Testament.  God does not change.  If we add to his word, we run the risk of condemnation or chastisement (that is if we are true believers). All scripture is inspired by God per the apostle Paul.  The marriage laws presented in the Law are to serve as a guideline of holiness if used lawfully.  If we have Christ, his law is inprinted in our hearts.  In other words, the more we learn of God's law as Christians, the more we want to apply in our daily living.  As Christians, the dietary laws and sacrificial laws do not apply unless you are a Jew by birth.  Paul makes that clear that circumsition of the heart is what God prefers and Jesus said that what comes out is more important than what goes in.  This being said, it is important that as believers we study the context of scripture honestly and consider answering scripture with scripture.
Keep in mind that Jesus himself was a Jew (Israelite),  He knew the law better than us. 
When Jesus says that if you look at a woman lustfully you have committed adultery in your hearts already he is quoting from Deuteronomy 25. He refers to a married woman, the greek word is "gune". I will post more later.

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Bibletruth: 12:22pm On Jul 24, 2011
I made a mistake with the passage, it is Deuteronomy 22-24.

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by onmakpo: 5:49pm On Jul 24, 2011
Have you checked the perspective of Titus 1:3 it is explicit there.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Bibletruth: 8:17pm On Jul 24, 2011
I've looked into both 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1:6 (King James Version) that states that the Bishop is to be blameless and the husband of one wife. It must be pointed out that the word for "one", "a", and "first" in greek is "mia" and therefore, it could read as follows:

1- "husband of one wife"
2- "husband of a wife"
3- "husband of the first wife"

The truth of the matter is that Paul, in some instances, makes reference to the Mosaic Law which by no means precludes a man from taking more than one wife. It is imperative that we study the scriptures and understand all contexts by which the information contained therein is presented. It makes most sense for it to read "a wife" because, as far as I am aware, it isn't until Pope Benedict came into power that Catholic priests ceased from practicing polygyny.
By the way, it would be good if everyone read David's rebuke by the prophet Nathan. Either God is speaking through the prophet or it is all a lie.

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 24, 2011
There is no place in the Bible where polygamy is condemned or mentioned as a sin. Neither is there a place in the Bible where it is mentioned that a man MUST marry only one wife. The concept of marrying only one wife is a Eurocentric (European traditions) belief that has been adopted by later christains converts  who came under the influence of the Europeans; Marrying only one wife has less to do with christian Bible teachings. Just as  "one wife" is attributed to a man in some places in the Bible, there are places -if not more- where "wives" are  attributed to a Man as well. It is not a sin for a man to marry another wife, as long as his wife or wives permits it.  Too often people give ambiguous and  out-of-context quotations from the Bible for selfish reasons which could be cultural, economical, sentimental, political etc.  Early Christians were not Europeans to start with, they were from the Mediterranean and Africa, and many were polygamous.

Science has shown that the female foetus/infant has a higher survival rate than the male foetus/infant, hence statistics has always shown that there are more women in the world than men. It is thesame for every country (except for india and China because they have  higher rates of female foetus abortion in the world). For instance, in the US alone, there are atleast 5 million more women than men, meaning  if every man should marry one wife there'll be 5 million women that would not be able to  get a husband roaming the streets, and these women have intimate desires too, or dont they?

These women would walk nakked on the streets if that is what it'll take to catch their baits (married men). Question Io our female readers: Would you rather do your female "sister" who is deprived of a husband a favor by having your husband marry her with all dignity and respect, or you would rather have her chase your husband around whenever he is out of your home? Women surely know how far a fellow woman can go in her moments of need. Body no be wood oo!

Hence, it is no surprise that the rate of Adultery in christian countries, especially western are the highest in the world. Catching an influential politician or a xtian leader in bed with other women has become like a norm, and is no longer news. 

My question to all objective readers, especially the  "anti - polygamy" Christians is:  if polygamy is not the answer to this societal menace,  then what or where is God's solution for it in the Bible?

2 Likes

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by WhiteOne(f): 3:53pm On Jul 25, 2011
Bible, King James. Genesis, from The holy Bible, King James version
Genesis 2

24: Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

How can somebody become "one flesh" with more then one person?
How should a sister wife be loved?

The western culture just condemning is too simple.
Please can does anybody never have see a “happy polygamies marriage” in his/her life, where the wife(s) truly where in loved each other with all their heard. ?
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by onmakpo: 11:55pm On Jul 25, 2011
Titus 1:6 says and I quote "if any man be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly" end of quote. By this I believe it is explicit enough for the likes of likeme to conclude that polygamy is a sin.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Nobody: 3:23am On Jul 26, 2011
Titus 1:6 says and I quote "if any man be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly" end of quote. By this I believe it is explicit enough for the likes of likeme to conclude that polygamy is a sin.

The husband of one wife, having Unfaithful children accused of riot or unruly nko? or the husband of one wife having faithful children , but accused of riot and unruly  nko? or what about the husband of two wives having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly nko?

After all the "circumvention" and "deduction", the question "where is it in the Bible that God explicitly and unambiguously condemn polygamy to be a sin?" still remain unanswered.

Btw, the earlier question put forward is still not addressed:

Science has shown that the female foetus/infant has a higher survival rate than the male foetus/infant, hence statistics has always shown that there are more women in the world than men. It is thesame for every country (except for india and China because they have  higher rates of female foetus abortion in the world). For instance, in the US alone, there are atleast 5 million more women than men, meaning  if every man should marry one wife there'll be 5 million women that would not be able to  get a husband roaming the streets, and these women have intimate desires too, or dont they?

If polygamy is not the answer to this societal problem, then what or where is God's solution for it in the Bible?

Objective readers want answers!

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by cindylee: 3:41pm On Jul 26, 2011
I have not read in the Bible where it is expressly condemned but I still believe it is wrong. I as a woman have come to accept the fact that there have been so many things against us that I met in this world and can't change. Trying to change it is like turning the world upside down which will eventually lead to the woman loosing out in the long run.

My conclusion is that it is not in the Bible but it is wrong. I wouldn't encourage any man to practice it if he wants peace in his marriage and wants to lead a wonderful life. There are many things that we term as wrong today but were not stated as wrong in the Bible.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Bibletruth: 11:30am On Aug 14, 2011
Cindylee: I could understand, based on our culture, where you are coming from. On personal note I feel it is worse for Christians to divorce and remarry over and over again than for a good husband to add a wife to his household for whatever the reason as long as the current wife is in agreement with it. Biblically, there are laws in place for a man to do so. I, personally, wouldn't do it because my wife is of jealous nature to the degree that she has no female friends. She would leave me and I do love her. You go figure. The funny thing is that I have had women try to lure me to cheat on my wife, yet these same women are the first to condemn this lifestyle. That doesn't make sense. Explain that. People want what they can't have, i.e. the forbidden fruit. Once you let the other person know your stance and beliefs, you take the mystery away, and they become disenchanted. I speak from experience, lol
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 14, 2011
I am a woman and used to be of the school of thought that polygamy is not a sin and is permissible for xtians except pastors and leaders in the church until I read malachi2:14-17.
Yet u say why? Because the lord has been witness between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treachously: yet she is your companion and the wife of your convenant .note verse 17 you have wearied the lord with your words. Yet u say,how have we wearied him?when u say, evry one that does evil is good in the sight of the lord,and he delights in them;or where is the God of judgement? When u say polygamy is not a sin then u say a man who does this evil is rt.

From this we can infer that marriage is a convenant btw a man and his wife and when he marries another he breaks the convenant and this is abominable to God, which makes it a sin. There is no confusion here it is clear. severally in the bible we read God saying he hates divorce. You need not leave your wife physically when you marry another woman even if you do not put her away, the convenant has been broken- divorce.

You will site Abraham as an example but sarah gave him her maid not the other way round and look at what happened.David had several wives but look what happened even till date. Solomon had too many and still look at what happened.when God made adam and eve he wasn't silly and we all know God is always right.

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by obowunmi(m): 3:25pm On Aug 15, 2011
I don't believe its a sin, I think that its a matter of choice and preference. As long as a man is not forcing a woman to be with him, a woman can certainly choose to be with a men with more than one wife.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Kutey: 4:18pm On Sep 02, 2011
Nigerian men again chatting s h i t to justify every wrong doing.
Where do u get your information from?
Please people when you are given information always research it yourself.

It is because there is more likelihood of men dying in birth, work, war, etc. that there are more men than women born. That is a fact. Nature has made provision for that
In every country except very few like the uk where females at 30 are just a little over. In average its 10 males for 9 females. Google this.
Dont let these imbeciles use thier scare tactics.
Im not even going to comment on the poligamy issue if u havent been convinced by now. Some people will die and go and debate with God.

Very simply how many happily married polygamous homes do you know?

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Nobody: 5:36am On Sep 03, 2011
Human beings will always look for a way to justify their lustful desires! God gave Adam only 1 wife, Eve. He must have had his reason, that was the 1st marriage and I know God always gives us the best. We cannot claim to be wiser than God
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Bibletruth: 2:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
Tatiana009:

you said:
tatiana009:

Human beings will always look for a way to justify their lustful desires! God gave Adam only 1 wife, Eve. He must have had his reason, that was the 1st marriage and I know God always gives us the best. We cannot claim to be wiser than God

Notice that he had them walking around naked, Does that mean we are supposed to walk around naked?
That scripture everyone quotes, which is Genesis 2:24: "For this reason a man will leave his mother and father and will be united to his wife, and the two shall be one flesh." is a description of what marriage is, not marriage structure. Otherwise the very same man who delivered the scriptures to the Israelites should have been stoned to death.
The Torah defines adultery as man sleeping with another man's wife, read Leviticus 21:10. If you allow the Spirit to guide you, you will notice that this is so. The woman is bound exclusively to the man and not the other way around. Monogamy is a Greco Roman Tradition, which dominates our culture today, but it is not Biblical.
There is a list of holy men under the Law who had more than one wife and in no way are they called adulteres.
Elcanah, Jacob, Gideon, The Levite and his concubine, Moses, Abraham, Caleb, Joshua, King Joash, People need to realize that it is not a sin to be engaged in plural marriage. It was practiced among Christians before Rome dominated the faith.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Bibletruth: 2:33pm On Sep 05, 2011
that is "walk around in the nude?"
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Bibletruth: 2:39pm On Sep 05, 2011
That is walking around indecently- I guess the system doesn't allow me to use the correct term.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Nayah(f): 2:57pm On Sep 05, 2011
Hi poster, I'll be honest with you saying that I'm against polygamy, and even though people like saying that "its better being official" I'd say, I prefer my husband have another wife outside but not in the same house we're building both my husband and , I'd see it as a violation of my privacy

As for me there's nothing, I say nothing good about polygamy
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by striker07(m): 11:37am On Sep 09, 2011
i dont know why some people quote bible out of context, polygamy is not aldultery as some people want us to believe, but it is best to practice monogamy.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Nayah(f): 11:45am On Sep 09, 2011
^^best for whom??
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Plutarch: 7:23pm On Sep 09, 2011
Its funny how pple especially defending monogamy 4 obvious reason. I will never engage in polygamy but am yet to see where its a sin.
I hope d ladies condenming polygamy are also selfness to know that d Bible condemn having s e x with several guyz b4 marriage as your hy.men is expected to be intact till d wedding nite.
God forbid if anyone of u find yourself with a mad wife beater n u have to separate b4 35yrs,will u live a s e xless life till perhaps 90 yrs yet d Bible instruct against remarrying except in d case of death of spouse. U may not commit adultery either.

Its just funny how selfish pple can be in their arguments
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by wildwater: 7:43pm On Sep 09, 2011
I want to ask a very provocative question to this community, I only read about polygamie for men, one man, several women, so if you say yes to polygamia why not the other way round, too? One woman, two or more men - being married? For my part, I can find no place in the bible that says yes in the New Testament to polygamia. And being a christian and not a jew I can not find it proper to follow older rules, anyway, I would kick out of my bed any man who wants to go to another woman.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Plutarch: 8:12pm On Sep 09, 2011
@wildwater, lol @ kicking d man out of your bed. U mean out of his bed/house?? U may just need 2 pack out with dignity n attitude. God forbid.

Polygamy is archaic but i hate pple saying its unbiblical
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Johndoe100(m): 3:57am On Sep 10, 2011
There is nothing wrong with polygamy so long as the man can care for all the wives and children. It is the whiteman that has imported his bias into this as in everything else.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by wildwater: 9:19am On Sep 10, 2011
grin , @Plutarch: I mean exactely what I say, kick out of m y bed and m y house, why do you always talk about h i s house here? Do you not have women in your country who earn their own money and have their own properties? It may be part of the Old Testament, for sure I find it nowhere in the New, anyway I consider it a social and not a religious question and society should develop in 2.000 years, well, if people who do polygamia haven´t, it´s their problem anyway, yet it is not proper for a Christian and beware me of marryiing a Moslem who treats me like one number in many, and @johndoe: Foolish, because polygamia is not up to date, how many men could really care for several women today and for many children? And anyway you could not please all women you have as you cannot clone yourself every night. So this is rubbish. Excuse of cheaters for playing around and not being serious.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by PastorOla1: 11:11pm On Aug 22, 2013
That monogamy is God's standard for the human race is clear from
the following [Biblical] facts:

(1) From the very beginning God set the pattern by creating a
monogamous marriage relationship with one man and one woman,
Adam and Eve (Gen. 1:27; 2:21-25).
(2) This God-established example of one woman for one man, was
the general practice of the human race (Gen. 4:1) until
interrupted by sin (Gen. 4:23).
(3) The Law of Moses clearly commands, "You shall not multiply
wives" (Deut. 17:17).
(4) The warning against polygamy is repeated in the very passage
where it numbers Solomon's many wives (I Kings 11:2), warning
that "you shall not intermarry with them, nor they with you."
(5) Our Lord reaffirmed God's original intention by citing this
passage (Matt. 19:4) and noting that God created one "male and
[one] female" and joined them in marriage.
(6) The New Testament stresses that "each man [should] have his
own wife, and let each woman have her own husband" (1 Cor. 7:2).
(7) Likewise, Paul insisted that a church leader should be "the
husband of one wife" (1 Tim. 3:2, 12).
(cool Indeed, monogamous marriage is a prefiguration of the relation
between Christ and his bride, the Church (Eph. 5:31-32).

In fact, the Bible reveals that God severely punished those who
practiced polygamy, as is evidenced by the following:

(1) Polygamy is first mentioned in the context of a sinful society
in rebellion against God where the murderer "Lamech took for
himself two wives" (Gen. 4: 19,23).
(2) God repeatedly warned polygamists of the consequences of their
actions "lest his heart turn away" hom God (Deut. 17:17;
cf. 1 Kings 11:2).
(3) God never commanded polygamy - like divorce, he only permitted it
because of the hardness of their hearts (Deut. 24:1; Matt. 19:cool.
(4) Every polygamist in the Bible, including David and Solomon
(1 Chron. 14:3), paid dearly for his sins.
(5) God hates polygamy, as he hates divorce, since it destroys his
ideal for the family (cf. Mal. 2:16).
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 23, 2013
Romeo4real:
Erm, there's actually nothing well said there. She is rehahsing the same tired reasons used to vilify polygamy as being wrong in the Bible. None of the verses she put forward actually condemns polygamy. They speak about marriage that includes a husband and a wife - which makes sense as a married man can only have a minimum of one wife. Subsequently, they cannot talk of multiple wives - because EVERY married man will have at least one wife.

If an author writes an editorial, or gives an opinion on how to iron a shirt, are we to assume that the author is against people having multiple shirts? Otherwise he would have mentioned "shirts"? Or should we assume that the procedure should only be applied to a single shirt?

To make matters worse, she then highlights that in Gen 2: 24, the Bible mentions "wife", and not "wives". Well this is simply lazy. One, for the reason highlighted above already, and two, If she read her Bible well, she will be aware that there are many places where the Bible mentions "wives", instead of "wife" It is neither here or there.
If she also read her Bible well, she will know that the Bible actually tells you how to treat your wives - if you marry more than one. It even tells you how to treat the first wife, and what respect to accord her! Please let us be sensible and objective.

it is unfair to push that the bible is against polygamy. that is not Gods business. they are earthly contractual transactions. However paul nailed it by advising the office of a bishop to be given only to men with one wife. the probability of unity and decorus conduct in a polygamous marriage is low.

Modern Nigeria clearly show us the result of earlier generations polygamy, and a wise person will steer clear of polygamy as matter of principle and self control which ultimately will affect his walk of faith. Its about sound doctrine

Titus 2
1 ¶ But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.
3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.
7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
(KJV)

These things will be hard to achieve in a polygamy.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 23, 2013
Maple: Question Io our female readers: Would you rather do your female "sister" who is deprived of a husband a favor by having your husband marry her with all dignity and respect, or you would rather have her chase your husband around whenever he is out of your home?

This is and expressly forbidden by God
Le 18:18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her unclothedness, beside the other in her life time.

You simplify evil to matters of biology and society. There is no sense in judgement if the circumstances and options are actually fixed. there is always a better option than to be hormone driven animals. God gives his faithful one what they desire God can give his children the best despite what is happening in town.

I know a man who married a pakistani after several years of gving God a exact spec. the woman came to naija all the way from pakistan. not internet runs o. They that know their God shall do exploits.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by THRILLING: 6:18pm On Jul 13, 2014
IS POLYGAMY A SIN?
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by Kanwulia: 9:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ask DAVID and KING SOLOMON.
The men after ya GOD'S HEART! wink
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by adelegan1: 7:33am On Jul 15, 2014
likeme: ^^^ please can you show us where the scripture said Polygammy is a SIN.

like i posted earlier, I am not for poltgamy but that does not mean that somebody with many wives will go to hell.

I have seen some family goes into ruin 'cause of this.
A man had 2 wives before he became born again. The church told him to send the second wife parking.
This 2nd woman had 4 kids and she had to battle it out all alone. (The kids suffered because of a man being born again)

The man that divorce is second wife is a sinner and have disobey the law of GOD for divorcing is wife. What will take you to heaven is conscience. The man have no conscience and the church is wicked and don't understand their bible.
Re: Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors by COPO: 4:48pm On Dec 12, 2014
Guys, men over the years in the bid to control their fellow men bring laws to enable them have control over fellow men. My worry over this polygamy issue is that our Perfect God kept blessing, using polygamist to propagate his acts. Acts we always often refer to as great deeds by men of valor. One wife, 2 wives, many wives, they all come with their trouble. The Law says if you can maintain a balance between the 2 or more that you have taken in as wives, go on. To start with Eve was alone in Eden with Adam yet she started the chaos we are in right now. Moses had 2 and we never heard any issue except complaint from his sister, Gideon already had many yet choose him to lead his people, David had many and he was called a man after the heart of GOD so much so that GOD eternally blessed with a promise that his seed will eternally be KING. If polygamy is a sin why did GOD choose Israel? All his children that became as we know today the 12 tribe s of the Nation of Israel were from different women, today this 12 formed the greatest Nation on earth a NATION owned by GOD. PLEASE SOMEONE, THERE IS SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL ABOUT POLYGAMY THE DEVIL DOES NOT WANT THE WORLD TO SEE. For one it give women control over the men!
Do we have any idea of how many men have secret relationships, even murder to keep them secret? Even Pastors are not free of this secret acts. if we bring to play Ex 22:16-17 so that any man who goes into any girl or woman that is not married and he is caught is made to marry her and under strict law made to take care of her and full fill her duties, this might change everything. Some will always say in the beginning GOD created man and woman, so? He commanded them to reproduce and replenish the earth. How long did Adam live - 930 years. How many sons and daughters did he bring forth into the world? in what ratio? Lets say 100 males and 100 females all from Eve or how do we appraise it? He had them in the ratio of 40:60 or 10:90? There was always this question, who was Cain's wife?.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lamentations Of A Nigerian!!! / How Do You Handle Rumors About Yourself? Share Tips / Reasons Kids Are Tiny Drunk Adults

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.